Can I run Mac OS 9 native on iBook G4?

Morning,

My boss has just got his new iBook, and for various
reasons (Acrobat 5 Create Adobe PDF, Office 2001,
Pagemaker 5) it would be easier if I could just get it to
run Mac OS 9 natively and boot into that.

Is this likely?

TIA,
Al

0
ajr-news (4)
3/15/2005 6:14:03 AM
comp.sys.mac 1198 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Al Reynolds wrote:
> Morning,
>
> My boss has just got his new iBook, and for various
> reasons (Acrobat 5 Create Adobe PDF, Office 2001,
> Pagemaker 5) it would be easier if I could just get it to
> run Mac OS 9 natively and boot into that.
>
> Is this likely?
>
> TIA,
> Al

Mine can run on 9.2.

--
http://homepage.mac.com/mkatzman/
0
Al Reynolds wrote:
> Morning,
>
> My boss has just got his new iBook, and for various
> reasons (Acrobat 5 Create Adobe PDF, Office 2001,
> Pagemaker 5) it would be easier if I could just get it to
> run Mac OS 9 natively and boot into that.
>
> Is this likely?
>
> TIA,
> Al
Nope.  If it's a new one, Classic is all you have.

0
vze35xda (195)
3/15/2005 11:38:02 AM
In article <L2vZd.4533$QN1.1479@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk>,
 "Al Reynolds" <ajr-news@bat400.com> wrote:

> Morning,
>
> My boss has just got his new iBook, and for various
> reasons (Acrobat 5 Create Adobe PDF, Office 2001,
> Pagemaker 5) it would be easier if I could just get it to
> run Mac OS 9 natively and boot into that.
>
> Is this likely?
>
> TIA,
> Al

Al,

Depending on the age certain older Macs could dual boot, unfortunately
none of the G4 notebooks can dual boot anymore. As long as your boss
doesn't need software that needs to directly access hardware or you can
get the needed drivers then running in Classic should handle all those
applications OK.

Rick

Porting a Mac OS 9 to Carbon Mac OS X shared library + Java Native Interface
I have ported a Mac OS 9 shared library to Mac OS X using Codewarrior 8 and the Carbon methodology. The library uses PowerPlant to display and handle a dialog box that communicates with the caller application. What are the prerequisites and steps for wrapping this library under Java Native Interface since the caller application is written in Java and Java itself cannot call methods directly from a native shared library? Are there any previous attempts, expreiences? Any obstacles? Byron ...

Porting a Mac OS 9 to Carbon Mac OS X shared library + Java Native Interface
I have ported a Mac OS 9 shared library to Mac OS X using Codewarrior 8 and the Carbon methodology. What are the prerequisites and steps for wrapping this library under Java Native Interface since the caller application is written in Java and Java itself cannot call methods directly from a native shared library? Are there any previous attempts, expreiences? Any obstacles? Byron The JNI library must be Mach-O. It must be a dylib named "lib<yourlibname>.jnilib". I'm pretty sure there is sample code for JNI libs on the Apple Developer Site. You say that your nat...

Mac OS 9.x included in Mac OS X?
Hi, I read that Mac OS X has a so-called classic mode which emulates Mac OS 9.x so that older applications can still be run. Provided one is not an upgrader from Mac OS 9.x, does Mac OS X include Mac OS 9.x required for the classic mode or does it have to be bought separately? Peter >Provided one is not an upgrader from Mac OS 9.x, does Mac OS X include >Mac OS 9.x required for the classic mode or does it have to be bought >separately? If you buy the installer for OS X it *does not* include OS 9. You generally use the copy of OS 9 that came with your computer in order to install C...

Creating a Bootable Mac OS 9 CD in Mac OS X
I have a bootable Mac OS 9 CD for an old Power Mac. I need to duplicate the System Folder with a few extra extensions and create a bootable CD for emergency reboot on the old computer. My new iMac does not run Classic. I copied the "System Folder" from the Mac OS 9 CD to the new iMac and burned a CD-R. The old Power Mac does not boot from the CD-R when I restart it holding down "C". My investigation revealed that the System Folder in a bootable CD-R must be "blessed" by turning on a boot bit or something. When I copied the System Folder to the iMac, it became unblessed. How can I turn on the boot bit on the iMac running only Mac OS X and no Classic? TIA. In article <ndurant-DD1E1D.23280828022004@news.videotron.net>, Nathalie Durant <ndurant@potentium.ca> wrote: > I have a bootable Mac OS 9 CD for an old Power Mac. I need to duplicate > the System Folder with a few extra extensions and create a bootable CD > for emergency reboot on the old computer. > > My new iMac does not run Classic. I copied the "System Folder" from the > Mac OS 9 CD to the new iMac and burned a CD-R. The old Power Mac does > not boot from the CD-R when I restart it holding down "C". > > My investigation revealed that the System Folder in a bootable CD-R must > be "blessed" by turning on a boot bit or something. When I copied the > System Folder to the iMac, it became unblessed. How...

Is OS 9 required on hard disk to run classic apps in Mac OS X (say, Panther) ?
I have OS 9 and Jaguar on separate partitions. I thought it would be right time to wipe off everything (offcourse, I do have backup of personal data, apps, etc) on my harddisk and make a clean install of Panther. I don't want to have OS 9 anymore on that another partition on my harddisk. My question is, if I need to invoke classic apps in Panther is it required to have OS 9 on harddisk or Panther alone has everything to emulate classic runtime? BTW, only classic application that I still need under Mac OS X is VNC client. thanks In article <qV_lb.5726$vj1.3796@newssvr27.news.pro...

Mac to mac

Dear All: Them pesky bugs. A few more squashed courtesy of the sleepy pixel. http://www.pixelglow.com/graphviz/ What's new in v11 ------------ Fixed some comprehensive help [NRi]. Fixed scale option placeholder [NRi]. Improved application and document icons. Example files now double-click to open in application. What's new in v12 ------------ Added layout option tooltips [NRi]. Fixed layout popup button changing wrong graph [MKe]. Clicking on warning icon now opens Activity window [NRi, AM]. Revert menu item now disabled. Cheers, Glen Low --- pixelglow software | simply brilliant stuff www.pixelglow.com ...

Hi all, Yet another Graphviz version. The old application icon had been voted off the island, and brand new application and document icons flown in for the task. Comprehensive help features in this version too. http://www.pixelglow.com/graphviz/ What's new: ------------ Added new application and document icons. Added comprehensive help. Fixed changes not affecting graph size displaying incorrectly [BTr]. Fixed export then close crashing the export of an open window. Improved shadowed frame for graph [NRi]. Improved status display [NRi]. Changed sources to pure BSD license. Cheers, Glen Low --- pixelglow software | simply brilliant stuff www.pixelglow.com ...

[ANN] Graphviz for Mac OS X 1.13 (v13) [ANN] Graphviz for Mac OS X 1.12 (v8) [ANN] Graphviz for Mac OS X 1.12 (v8)
Dear All, I've just released the newest version of Mac Graphviz, featuring shapefile support and enhanced zoom. http://www.pixelglow.com/graphviz/ Shapefiles supported include PDF, EPS, PS, JPEG, PNG and all Quicktime formats. Either specify an absolute or relative (to working directory) file path, or a URL using the shapefile attribute. Developers can now also use the graphviz.framework directly with #include headers in C e.g. using Xcode "Add Frameworks..."; documentation is available from the main Graphviz site -- http://www.research.att.com/sw/tools/graphviz/libguide.pdf Changes ------- Added drawer and zoom menu commands [DWa, NRi]. Added intelligent window zooming [NRi]. Added shapefile support. Added UTF-8 support [RSc]. Added cvtgxl, gvpack and gvpr tools [BSw]. Fixed page setup then close unexpectedly invoking save dialog [PRo]. HTML-like labels now work on 10.2 (use embedded expat instead of libxml2). Improved internal frameworks (added headers, consolidated dylibs). Tracked main build of 23 June. Graphviz is still free, but I'm now accepting donations for it. Enjoy! Cheers, Glen Low --- pixelglow software | simply brilliant stuff www.pixelglow.com ...

where can I get Mac OS 9 logo?
Hello all, I want to use the Mac OS 9 logo on a web page to indicate the OS 9 version of my product. I am wondering where to find it. Can anyone help? I have found the OS X logo (big blue X) in numerous locations on my computer, but can't seem to find the OS 9 logo. Thanks for any pointers, Don -- Donald S. Hall, Ph.D. Apps & More Software Design, Inc. http://www.appsandmore.com don at appsandmore dot com "Schedule your AppleScripts with Script Timer" In article <spamback-99FEBB.23255904072004@news.telus.net>, Donald Hall <spamback@127.0.0...

Anything emulating Mac OS 9+ for my 2lbs Mac er, PC laptop?
Anything like Basilisk emulating OS 9+ Macs on PCs yet? Was wanting to upgrade my world's smallest Mac laptop to something newer OS-wise. www.silverace.com/libretto/ 2lbs Mac OS 8.1 laptop! (emulated through Basilisk =) ...

What programs can I run on Mac OS 8.0?
I am looking to download the latest versions [that are compatible with Mac OS 8.0] of the following programs: * Outlook Express * an MP3 player (Im not familiar with anything besides WinAmp which only runs on Windows) * a Kazaa compatible P2P program Can anyone please help me? :-) thanks... In article <3F46E677.699@sdfsfd.com>, dfgdfg <dfgdfg@sdfsfd.com> wrote: > I am looking to download the latest versions [that are compatible with > Mac OS 8.0] of the following programs: > > * Outlook Express > * an MP3 player (Im not familiar with anything besides WinAmp wh...

Does an app run Mac O X 10.4 when it has been built on Mac OS 10. 3+
Hello. I don't have Mac OS X 10.4 yet, my application is built on Mac OS X 10.3.9, does The application can run properly on Mac OS 10.4 ? Thanks ming --------------------------------------------------------------------- To unsubscribe, e-mail: wx-users-unsubscribe@lists.wxwidgets.org For additional commands, e-mail: wx-users-help@lists.wxwidgets.org Hi Ming, Yes, almost everything should work without modification. I only found one thing in Tiger that worked differently than Panther, and it was easy to fix once I got a complete report of what was going on. HTH,...

54g Wireless
Hi there, I have two apple laptops coming into our work network - one is an oldish IBook with an original Airport card which supports 64bit WEP and the other is a brand new IBook with 128bit WEP security. Our wireless network router is a belkin but only allows us to set 64 bit OR 128 bit - is there anyway of allowing either of these computers onto the network whilst securing it? Thanks Wesley Blue Wezza <blue-wezza@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote: > I have two apple laptops coming into our work network - one is an oldish > IBook with an original Airport card which supports 64bit W...

Mac OS X & Mac OS X Server
Hi, I'm currently using a 9i developer release on Mac OS X (10.3) which has proved very stable so far. My understanding of the various Oracle press releases is that 10G will be released for Mac OS X, are there any beta testers out there wiling to comment on availabilitu/quality/performance issues for 10G on Mac OS X? Another question is whether tools such as the OEM will be available in 10G for Mac OS X, does anybody know? Yours in anticipation! Steve Steve <steve@nospam.com> wrote in message news:<2004013008345616807%steve@nospamcom>... > releases is that 10G will be released for Mac OS X, are there any beta > testers out there wiling to comment on availabilitu/quality/performance > issues for 10G on Mac OS X? The PR suggests they've been clear that the OS X release will be production quality .. though since it won't be a "volume" platform, one may wonder about this in practise. > Another question is whether tools such as the OEM will be available in 10G > for Mac OS X, does anybody know? From what I've seen of screenshots, I believe OEM 10g is web-based JSP, so this seems likely. But just my inference, no real info. I use remote OEM from another box on my Powerbook for now (either XWindows or Windows Remote Desktop). SQL Plus otherwise.. Cheers Stu stuartc@mac.com (Stu Charlton) wrote in message news:<21398ab6.0402020845.4f2c5027@posting.google.com>... > Steve <steve@nospam.com> wrote...

Installing gnuplot 4.2.2 on Mac G4 under Mac OS X 10.4.11
In attempting to install gnuplot 4.2.2 on a Mac G4 running Mac OS X v. 4.2.2, I got several error messages before the installation failed. The error messages asked that I report these messages to the gnuplot lists, so the excerpt below contains the transcript of the installation. Any suggestions as to how to install gnuplot 4.2.2? Starfighter. Last login: Wed Nov 21 03:22:17 on ttyp1 Welcome to Darwin! dsl092-239-159:/ samueldupree$ tar -xzf gnuplot-4.2.2.tar.gz dsl092-239-159:/ samueldupree$ ls dsl092-239-159:/ samueldupree$ cd gnuplot-4.2.2 dsl092-239-159:/gnuplot-4.2.2 samueldupree$ ./configure --prefix=/usr/ local checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/ginstall -c checking whether build environment is sane... yes checking for gawk... gawk checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes checking for gcc... gcc checking for C compiler default output file name... a.out checking whether the C compiler works... yes checking whether we are cross compiling... no checking for suffix of executables... checking for suffix of object files... o checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... yes checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes checking for gcc option to accept ANSI C... none needed checking for style of include used by make... GNU checking dependency style of gcc... gcc3 checking for function prototypes... yes checking how to run the C preprocessor... gcc -E checking for egrep... grep -E checking for ANSI C header files... yes ...

can I install Oracle 10.1g on MAC OS 10.5.1 without the MAC server software?
I guess the subject up top more or less says it all. If anyone HAS installed Oracle 10.1g on MAC OS 10.5.1 NOT MAC OS 10.5.1 server I'd really appreciate hearing from you. I've downloaded the the Oracle 10.1g client and database on my non- server MAC OS 10.5.1 and got as far as succesfully doing the cpio command (see directions). However the instructions for doing the install for the client; or for the database; seem \ to require having the server installed - they seem to assume you're set up on a LAN - but I'm not a systems- or dba-person, I'm an Oracle PL/SQL, and SQL (w/ some other things) contract programmer and would love to have it at home so I could learn new things faster and more concretely. PL/SQL and SQL are big languages. On Feb 5, 1:31 pm, ken quirici <ken.quir...@excite.com> wrote: > I guess the subject up top more or less says it all. > > If anyone HAS installed Oracle 10.1g on MAC OS 10.5.1 NOT MAC OS > 10.5.1 server I'd > really appreciate hearing from you. > > I've downloaded the the Oracle 10.1g client and database on my non- > server > MAC OS 10.5.1 and got as far as succesfully doing the cpio command > (see directions). > However the instructions for doing the install for the client; or for > the database; seem \ > to require having the server installed - they seem to assume you're > set up on a LAN - > but I'm not a systems- or dba-person, I'm an Oracle PL/SQL, ...

Can new macs emulate os 9 like a virtual pc?
I don't mean run in a classic mode I mean run a virtual mac that boots os 9 like virtual pc can boot into windows. I just ordered a mac mini and I know it can't boot into os 9 I was just wondering if there is an emulator so I could play around with os9. On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 16:11:17 -0600, dvdivx <dvdivx@byteme.com> wrote: > I don't mean run in a classic mode I mean run a virtual mac that boots os 9 > like virtual pc can boot into windows. I just ordered a mac mini and I know > it can't boot into os 9 I was just wondering if there is an emulator so I > could play around with os9. Far as I know, classic mode will continue to be supported for the forseeable future. OS9 runs in a virtual machine, just as you're describing. Do you have a disk labeled "utilities" or "development tools"? "Classic Support" might be what it's called, has a (yellow?) 9 in the icon. Install that, and you're good to go. Dave Hinz On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 16:11:17 -0600, dvdivx (dvdivx@byteme.com) wrote: > I don't mean run in a classic mode I mean run a virtual mac that boots os 9 > like virtual pc can boot into windows. I just ordered a mac mini and I know > it can't boot into os 9 I was just wondering if there is an emulator so I > could play around with os9. My understanding is that Classic can be described as OS 9 in a virtual machine. There are other ways that you have a Virtual PC like...

Where can I download Run-time engine 6.1 for Mac OS
When trying to run an executable I receive a message "Could not load LabView Runtime Shared Library: err = -2804, "Labview 6.1 Runtime". I did not see Run-time engine 6.1 for Mac OS 9 available for download. I only saw version 6.0.2. Does anyone know where I can download version 6.1?? ftp://ftp.ni.com/support/labview/runtime/Mac/6.1/LV6.1%20Runtime.sit.hqx ...

Installing Mac OS 9.2 on Powerboot G4 15"
Trying to install 9.2.1 on my powerbook. It boots fine but when I double click Mac OS Install I get the following error "This program cannot run on your computer. See the documentation for more information" Does this mean 9.2 can not run on this machine? Or is it that I don't have the hard drive configured right or something. Thanks for your help! :-) In article <1156996136.068100.54370@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>, <tymiles@gmail.com> wrote: > Trying to install 9.2.1 on my powerbook. It boots fine What boots fine? 9.2.1 or the PowerBook. If the latter, what...

Can't run MATLAB in my Mac OS Snow leopard
error: GC operation on unregistered thread. Thread registered implicitly. Break on auto_zone_thread_registration_error() to debug. xp_destroy_surface: assertion failed: s != ((void *)0) xp_destroy_surface error: 3 Warning: Could not query OpenGL. Warning: OpenGL appears to be installed incorrectly. ...

Can I run the client CC on Mac OS 10? Just java, yes?
DB2 8.1 FP5 LUW Red Hat AS 2.1 Can I run the DB2 Control Center (ie the Admin client) on a Mac w/ OS 10? (I'm not talking server - a Mac CLIENT) Its just a Java app, yes? So I should be able to do this? Is the installation program Windows only? If so, can't I bypass the install and just put the right jars in the right CLASSPATH places and goto town? Any help appreciated. aj aj wrote: > DB2 8.1 FP5 LUW > Red Hat AS 2.1 > > Can I run the DB2 Control Center (ie the Admin client) > on a Mac w/ OS 10? (I'm not talking server - a Mac > CLI...

MacWireless 802.11b USB Adapter is the only solution for Mac OS 9 iBook?
Well, I just got one of the DWL-122 802.11b adapters for use with my iBook running OSX 10.3 Panther. It regularly locks up my machine, forcing a reboot. I got the latest driver from D-Link's site. Same problem. So, if you're thinking of using one these things along with an upgrade to OSX, thing twice. :-( I bought this unit because when I went to COMPUSA they were out of AirPort Extreme cards, and I noticed these D-Link units at $49.95, and they also work with PCs (of which I have several) so I thought it would be worth a try. Now I'm probably just going to return it. -Carl...

Can blue-and-white Mac G3s running OS X go to sleep?
Can blue-and-white Mac G3s running OS X go to sleep? I just bought one used, and the seller told me it could. Seems to me, well, it isn't. After it's allegedly asleep it makes just as much noise as when it wasn't asleep, which makes me suspicious. Or is it asleep but the fan's still running? If it truly isn't sleeping, should I shut it off at night, or leave it on? Thanks in advance! Bailey Legull <pluto@quentincrisp.com> wrote: > Can blue-and-white Mac G3s running OS X go to sleep? No. See the section on deep sleep at the bottom of the fo...

Web resources about - Can I run Mac OS 9 native on iBook G4? - comp.sys.mac

Slavery among Native Americans in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Slavery among Native Americans in the United States includes slavery by Native Americans as well as slavery of Native Americans roughly within ...

Girl, 6, removed from foster home over Native American bloodline
... girl who spent most of her life with California foster parents was removed from her home under a court order that concluded her Native American ...

Many stay overnight to protest removal of part Native American girl from Santa Clarita family
Dozens touched by a family&#39;s story gathered together against the removal of a part Native American girl from her Santa Clarita foster home ...

Mini Law Lesson: What Brands Should Know About FTC's Tough Lord & Taylor Action on Influencers and Native ...
When Lord & Taylor settled with the Federal Trade Commission over charges that it failed to tell consumers that Instagram posts and a magazine ...

Disbelieved Fairbanks Four alibis show how anti-Native bias taints justice
The facts of the Fairbanks Four case are exceptional. Unfortunately, the cultural and racial divide it represents is not.

Facebook Audience Network Launches Native Partner Program
Facebook Thursday announced the launch of the Facebook Audience Network Native Partner Program, aimed at third-party mediation platforms. Facebook ...

Santa Clarita Family Loses Native-American Foster Daughter Under Federal Law
Lexi is part Choctaw. Under a federal law, she has to live with relatives of her Native-American father in Utah.

Appeal filed in Native American child custody case
Appeal filed in Native American child custody case

Report outlines disrepair at Native American schools
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) — A government watchdog report says federal officials have failed to ensure dozens of Native American schools undergo ...

6-Year-Old Girl Taken From Foster Family Because She's Part Native American
The family says she's been&nbsp;"ripped away from the only family that she has ever known."​