Change Default Printer Setting?

I'd like to change the default printer setting "Print Quality" from Normal
to Fast Draft.  How is this done?  Option-Select'ing the menu choice doesn't
seem to work.  Or is it different for every printer driver?  In other words,
should I be calling HP?

Stu
(who hopes you are all well)

NP: When It Was Now by Weather Report

0
stumark (33)
9/28/2005 11:58:45 PM
comp.sys.mac 1198 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

G'day Stu,

A bit more info (type of Mac, what OS (9? 10.2.x? 10.3.x? 10.4?) and
what type of HP printer would help generate more help ...

But still, I have a G3 iMac running 10.3.9, with an HP psc 1210. Nothing
I could do would change the defaults - I blame it on HP's driver.

So, I went to linuxprinting.org ... they have an OS X section that deals
with using CUPS, ESP Ghostscript, Foomatic and open source HP drivers.

They're relatively easy to install, give you more output options, and
remember default settings.

Between that and Vuescan, I've disabled the HP stuff that came with the
printer (and was subsequently updated via their website).

AN added bonus is that the printer is now shareable across my home
network (so the wife can print wirelessly from her iBook!).

Hope this helps,

Mikey Mike

In article <BF607C43.1CF24%stumark@earthlink.net>,
 Stu Mark <stumark@earthlink.net> wrote:

> I'd like to change the default printer setting "Print Quality" from Normal
> to Fast Draft.  How is this done?  Option-Select'ing the menu choice doesn't
> seem to work.  Or is it different for every printer driver?  In other words,
> should I be calling HP?
>
> Stu
> (who hopes you are all well)
>
> NP: When It Was Now by Weather Report
0
they.are (22)

SET PRINTER TO and SET DEFAULT
Hi I recently discovered that if I issue a SET PRINTER TO LPTx after a SET DEFAULT TO a different folder, clipper tries to create a file named LPTx.PRN in the default directory and of course generates a CREATE ERROR. Without th SET DEFATLT TO command it does work as it should. This happens in W2K/XP machines, doesn't in W98. Any idea ? TIA Claudio On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 05:33:16 -0800 (PST), cherszage@gmail.com wrote: >Hi >I recently discovered that if I issue a SET PRINTER TO LPTx after a >SET DEFAULT TO a different folder, clipper tries to create a file >named LPTx.PRN in the ...

Set or change the default printer in windows from Java
Hi, Using a Java app I would like to change Window's default printer. Is that possible? If not there is still the option of showing users the print dialog and let them set the default printer manually. Unfortunately the dialog shown by PrinterJob.printDialog() shows a dialog that doesn't provide the option to set the default printer :( Is there a way around this? Any help would be really appreciated. Kind regards, cyberco ...

After the default printer has been changed by code in Access 2003, the application still directs a report to the former default printer.
Could someone please help? I am using the 'defaultprt.zip' tool provided by Ken Getz to change the default printer via VBA code (code below). My problem is that once the default printer has been changed, Access 2003 still directs the report to the former default printer. Access 2003 picks up the new default printer setting only after I have reopened the application. I have checked the default printer setting in the OS control panel and the code works well. This problem also occurs when an Access 2003 application is open and one changes the default printer manually in the control panel (Windows 2000). To me it seems that Access 2003 picks up the default printer setting once at Application Start-up only. Is there a way that I can force Access to "refresh" the default printer after I have changed it by code without closing/reopening the application? THANKS Code to SET DEFAULT PRINTER by Ken Getz: Option Compare Database 'Use database order for string comparisons Option Explicit ' Code from: ' Microsoft Access 95 How-To ' (c) 1998 Ken Getz and Paul Litwin ' All rights reserved. ' You may only use this code as part of an application ' that requires its use. You must including this ' notice intact. You may not distribute the code ' as your own work, nor can you distribute the ' code on its own. Private Function BuildName(dr As aht_tagDeviceRec) As Variant ' Build up the string in the format: ' HP Lase...

change default printer to network printer
Guys, I need help . I am using vb5. I am try to print one report @ two different location. 1) is default and 2) is on network. I am trying to set network printer as default for second time. The program was written in win98 and it is working good. but we are try to update all the computers for XP. Thanks for help Bharat Parekh *** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com *** You can grab my printer swtich code here: http://www.members.shaw.ca/AlbertKallal/msaccess/msaccess.html -- Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP) Edmonton, Alberta Canada pleaseNOOSpamKallal@msn.com http://www.members.shaw.ca/AlbertKallal ...

HP PSC 1600 Printer sets to default printer
I have a HP PSC 1600 printer that I use at home and for some reason this printer also is set to be my default printer. When I try to change another printer to be my default printer, the other printer will show as being the new default printer, but when I go home again and connect to the HP PSC 1600, this printer HP PSC 1600 again takes over as the default printer. Is there a way for the HP PSC 1600 printer not to take control of being my default printer? ...

setting default printer
I'm running XP and would like the ability to set the default printer by application. This way my word processor would default to letter paper on my office quality printer and Photoshop would default to my picture quality printer at my preferred settings. It is always possible to select the correct printer in each application just before printing, but some programs, like web browsers, figure out page sizes and margins when they start up and then just reroute the data to the selected printer at output. It would seem that this is a common need since many setups have multiple printers for various purposes. Even if it is a limitation of windows by now some applications should have figured out their own ways to store such preferences. -- Robert D Feinman Landscapes, Cityscapes and Panoramic Photographs http://robertdfeinman.com mail: robertdfeinman@netscape.net ...

Change default printer
What is the code for changing and resetting the default printer? Sim Sim, > What is the code for changing and resetting the default printer? <http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd162971%28VS.85%29.aspx> <http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd144876%28v=VS.85%29.aspx> Just be careful since if the user switches to another program any printing done there will no longer go to the expected printer!<g> -- Lee White RPM Report Viewer.: http://www.cwaddons.com/products/rpm/ RPM Review........: http://www.clarionmag.com/cmag/v11/v11n06rpm.html Report Faxing.....: http://www.cwaddons.com/products/afe/ ---Enroll Today---: http://CWaddons.com Enhanced Reporting: http://www.cpcs-inc.com Sim, The hardest part is guessing where the help is on this! <g> From Help "How to change the printer device without calling PRINTERDIALOG": You can change the windows default printer without calling the PRINTERDIALOG function. You may want to do this when a report is designed for pre-printed forms, and therefore must always be routed to a printer loaded with the forms. This can be done by using Clarion's property syntax. The property to use is PROPPRINT:Device. This property definition can be found in the .....\LIBSRC\PRNPROP.CLW. This must be included in your application before making use of any of the properties defined therein. To include PRNPROP.CLW: 1. Press the Global button on the Application Tree, to open the Global Prope...

Set default printer
I have wine installed on my NLD 9 system Wine works fine and he takes the printers from cups but i want to limit the printer access to the printer we use for that specific application. Is this possible ? I guess that I have to create some wine.config file but i don't see how :-( Can somebody give me a hand ? The version of wine is wine-0.9.6-0.1 jacobssven@gmail.com wrote: > I have wine installed on my NLD 9 system > Wine works fine and he takes the printers from cups but i want to limit > the printer access to the printer we use for that specific application...

Change default printer
I have an application I'm working on in Delphi 5 (Win 2k) and I want to create a report which I can fax to various recipients. Creating the report is easy (I'm using Quick Reports), but I want to change the default printer driver and force the system to use a specific one (which is a fax driver), which will not be the Windows default printer. It should however, be set up the same on each PC so I will initially want to aim for that (and handle errors later). The problem is forcing it to use a specific printer driver. There aren't any obvious options in Quick Reports, so I ...

Default Printer Settings
I am trying to change the default print settings on an AIX (5.2) box that does not have SysV printing enabled. I am a fairly new AIX admin but have a background in other unix environments (Solaris etc.) I found the settings for page length and line density in the print spool section of smit. However, I haven't found a way to change the characters per inch to 12. ie. The equivalent of "lp -o cpi=elite" in SysV parlance. I know smit is using the command "piochpq" to set the options (F6 output) but I cannot seem to find a list of valid attributes to send. The printer is an EPSON DFX-8000 on a network (HP JetDirect server.) I have the manual for the printer with escape codes if needed. Thanks in advance. - Chris Netwiz wrote: .... > I found the settings for page length and line density in the print > spool section of smit. However, I haven't found a way to change the > characters per inch to 12. ie. The equivalent of "lp -o cpi=elite" in > SysV parlance. .... Found it myself, the magic command is "lsvirprt". There is a command "chvirprt" to change attributes but you can also do the same thing from inside the first command. - Chris ...

change default printer
Hello! i amn trying to add a Visuail basic 6 code to an excisting code that has the purpose to change the current default printer to another printer by name and then after the printer to change back to the old default printer again... Anyone knows how to do this easy?? http://vbnet.mvps.org/code/system/defaultprinter.htm http://vbnet.mvps.org/code/system/setdefaultprinter.htm -- Randy Birch MS MVP Visual Basic http://vbnet.mvps.org/ ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Read. Decide. Sign the petition to Microsoft. http://classicvb.org/petition/ ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- "goJoe" <goJoe@yahoo.dk> wrote in message news:439ad5fc$0$47032$edfadb0f@dread15.news.tele.dk... : Hello! : i amn trying to add a Visuail basic 6 code to an excisting code that has the : purpose to change the current default printer to another printer by name and : then after the printer to change back to the old default printer again... : : Anyone knows how to do this easy?? : : ...

how to change the change defaults
hi friends, it might be a stupid question to state. but i really need to know while programming, to change the defaults like changing the engineering notation of a real quantity i.e. fraction values or change the fix parameters to denote real value if our calculations involve the values as low as 0.000000001 and as high as 10000000. thanks hemu bisht ...

With a home wireless network should I be able to print documents from my PC laptop on to a printer that I have set up to share via my ethernet. Again I have all OS X Macs with printer sharing se
With a home wireless network should I be able to print documents from my PC laptop on to a printer that I have set up to share via my ethernet. Again I have all OS X Macs with printer sharing set to on. I am able to print from one Mac to another via sharing. What about the PC ? -- http://bergenbulldogradio.blogspot.com/ In article <il9Yg.1193$6D3.1191@trnddc01>, Marshall <notmkatzman@verizon.net> wrote: > With a home wireless network should I be able to print documents from my > PC laptop on to a printer that I have set up to share via my ethernet. > Again I have all OS X Macs with printer sharing set to on. I am able to > print from one Mac to another via sharing. > What about the PC ? I looked at the System Preferences help on my Mac and this is what it says to do to get a Windows machine to access a Printer on your Mac that's set up for sharing. Hope this helps. "You can let Windows computers on your local network use any printer connected to your computer. If the Windows users install Bonjour for Windows, you can share your printer with them using Bonjour. To share a printer, open the Print & Fax preferences, then click sharing. Select the option to share printers and select the printers you want to share. Use the Bonjour Printer Wizard on the Windows computer to set up to print to your printer. Otherwise you can share your printer with Windows users by using SMB/CIFS, as described below. To share your printer with W...

Outq change the printer setting
Hi I have question regarding to remote outq. I setup remote outq to jetdirect and jetdirect attached to Citoh printer, then the printer I set to 17 cpi (means condense print), but everytime I print from as400 to the printer, It keeps change to 10 CPI to the printer setting thanks The as400 is too smart: it's resetting the printer. You have to do an ovrprtf and select a font i.d. I use this table: Output Line Widths for Laser Printers CPI Font# 8.5 11 14 5 244 42.5 55 70 10 11 85 110 140 12 85 102 132 168 13 204 110.5 143 182 15 230 127.5 165 210 17 252 144.5 187 238 20 281 170 220 280 27 290 229.5 297 378 so, to get 17cpi, you need ovrprtf qsysprt cpi(17) font(252) you probably need to set the page width, length, and rotation on the ovrprtf as well. tom wrote: > Hi > I have question regarding to remote outq. > I setup remote outq to jetdirect and > jetdirect attached to Citoh printer, then > the printer I set to 17 cpi (means condense print), > but everytime I print from as400 to the printer, > It keeps change to 10 CPI to the printer setting > thanks > > Thanks Drew. Tom "Drew Dekreon" <drew_dekreonATchugachelectricDOTcom> wrote in message news:117iplj46bglcc7@corp.supernews.com... > The as400 is too smart: it's resetting the printer. You have to do an > ovrprtf and select a font i.d. I use this table: > O...

changing default figure settings
Hi All, the default setting to create a figure has the area outside the plot area as grey. Is there a configuration setting I can change so that the entire figure area is white? Or what is the code to change the color to white? I do want to use the gui to change the color every time. Thanks "John Densmore" <jrmrdrernsmore.remove4rs@gmail.com> wrote in message news:h8vvmb$hfc$1@fred.mathworks.com... > Hi All, > the default setting to create a figure has the area outside the plot area > as grey. Is there a configuration setting I can change so that the entire > f...

Mac forgets default printer
I'm running 9.2.2. I recently replaced my Laserwriter Select 360 with a LaserJet 1320n, and now the Mac doesn't remember the default printer between reboots. Anyone know what might be wrong? Mark Geary -- "It's going to be a tough one Sam...Ziggy hasn't got a clue and the guy in the waiting room keeps asking me if I want a jelly baby." << I'm running 9.2.2. I recently replaced my Laserwriter Select 360 with a LaserJet 1320n, and now the Mac doesn't remember the default printer between reboots. Anyone know what might be wrong? >> M...

changing default forward setting
Hallo, Every time i want to forward a mail with a attachment i have to change the default setting "Forwarding with editing" into "Forwarding without editing". (I recieve more mail's that i have to forward without editing and including the attachment's) How can i change the default forward-setting into " Forwarding without editing ". thanks... 2qZ6b.8338$%45.243764@phobos.telenet-ops.be, Pouzols <myname@myaddress.com>: > Hallo, > > Every time i want to forward a mail with a attachment i have to > change the default se...

Change Default Print Setting?
I'd like to change the default printer setting "Print Quality" from Normal to Fast Draft. How is this done? Option-Select'ing the menu choice doesn't seem to work. Or is it different for every printer driver? In other words, should I be calling HP? Stu (who hopes you are all well) NP: When It Was Now by Weather Report ...

Change Default Settings for Figures
Dear all, it is a few time I'm struggling with this issue. Is there a way to change the default values of Fonst, Size, Angle and so on for axis, colorbar, titles and so on? When I have to create 20 plots it is a bit a pain having to change every time the default values. I'd like an easy way to set them once for ever. Thanks a lot, Cheers, -Luca "Luca Cerone" <luca_cerone#_remove_this#@yahoo.it> wrote in message news:ib1bpl$raf$1@fred.mathworks.com... > Dear all, > it is a few time I'm struggling with this issue. > Is there a way to chan...

Printer color setting default
Whenever I print a letter from Hotmail on my iMac, the print settings default back to "color" instead of "black" ink. How can I set it to default to "black" ink? I use OS 10.1.5 and Internet Explorer 5.2, and the printer is an Epson Stylus C40UX. Thanks, Greg ...

Problem changing default printer
I have to add one or more printers to to the profile of a user logged onto a remote computer. I've done this by updating the HKCU registry settings. This part works fine. I also have installed a utility on the remote computer that the user will execute to change the default printer to one of the newly installed printers. This is where I encounter problems. When the use executes the utility, it will NOT change the default printer. But if the user restarts the computer and executes the utility, the default printer will be successfully changed. So, my question is why the compu...

How to change the default settings of standby mode?
Hi, I'm running VNC server on my Linux desktop, and connecting to it remotely. But I lose my remote VNC session when my desktop goes to standby mode. How do I adjust the local settings on my Linux desktop to *never* go to standby mode? I tried using the command "xset dpms 0 0 0" for my monitor standby, but that doesn't seem to work. Thanks in advance... -srik ...

changing the system default kde settings
I am working on a workstation load around RH9 using KDE. I need to customize the default KDE settings and behaviors before anyone initially logs in. I plan on using %post scripts in the kickstart to do this with. The problem is I have been looking in /etc and /usr/share/config on where the Menu Panel configuration is stored so I can change it to fit with the load. Where can I find this file? Thanks, Greg ...

Changing default settings when using the Wizard
I am using the Command Button Wizard to create a 'Find Record' button on my form. The Wizard sets the defaults to be 'Find Next' for the buttons and 'Whole', 'Entire' and 'Current Record' for the criteria. How can I change these so that everytime I open the form, I don't have to manually reset them? Thanks -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com To the best of my knowledge, a wizard cannot be altered, only rewritten. Darryl Kerkeslager "Sarah Smith via AccessMonster.com" <forum@AccessMonster.com> wrote > I am using the Command Button Wizard to create a 'Find Record' button on my form. The Wizard sets the defaults to be 'Find Next' for the buttons and 'Whole', 'Entire' and 'Current Record' for the criteria. How can I change these so that everytime I open the form, I don't have to manually reset them? > Thanks > > -- > Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com ...

Web resources about - Change Default Printer Setting? - comp.sys.mac

Help:Contents/Account settings and maintenance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Campaign setting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A campaign setting is usually a fictional world which serves as a setting for a role-playing game or wargame campaign. A campaign is a series ...

Privacy Setting For New Facebook Users Aged 13-17 Now Defaults To ‘Friends’
Facebook is changing the initial default privacy setting for users aged 13 through 17 to friends, from friends of friends, but those teen users ...

Facebook changes default privacy settings for new users to friends-only
Facebook announced today a shift in privacy settings for new users. Now, when someone signs up for a profile, their default posting status is ...

Google Store is setting up a crazy huge claw game at SXSW, and we’re going to play it
Google has typically had at least a little bit of presence at SXSW in the past, but we’ve never been there to cover it. That’s changing this ...

How-To: Reduce iPhone screen brightness beyond what’s possible in Control Center or Display & Brightness ...
My iPhone 6s is not jailbroken, but there are still a couple of tricks that I employ that make it closer to that of a jailbroken phone. For example, ...

Trump and Cruz split states, setting up Wisconsin showdown
Donald Trump and Ted Cruz split victories in Republican presidential contests in Arizona and Utah on Tuesday, setting up a showdown in Wisconsin. ...

Custom Navigation button settings, GravityBox – Android customization
... things to think about Should you root Xposed framework and installer basics Install GravityBox and get started Custom Navigation button settings ...

Watch live: Record-setting NASA astronaut launching to space station
The gantry arms close around the Soyuz spacecraft to secure the rocket at the launch pad on Wednesday. (credit: NASA) A Russian rocket will ...

The Anonymous attack on Donald Trump is setting off a hacker civil war
Anonymous declaring "total war" on presidential candidate Donald Trump is starting to reveal in-fighting within the hacker collective itself. ...