DVD Won't Enter, Won't Exit

Greetings, all.  Long time no see.

I have an iMac G5 c. Dec. 2004.  A few minutes ago, I inserted a DVD,
but it seems not to have mounted in the drive.  The disk is just barely
too far inside the machine to reach.  It's not visible from the outside
at all.  I've gently tried to insert a second disk, hoping to push the
first one all the way in, but it won't budge.

I tried restarting the computer with the eject key depressed, and heard
the drive trying to eject something, but, again, the disk didn't seem to
move.

Any ideas, short of reaching in there with a pair of tweezers and trying
to pull the thing out?

Thanks so much.

--
Charles "Stretch" Ledford
STRETCH PHOTOGRAPHY

Charles "Stretch" Ledford wrote:

> Greetings, all.  Long time no see.
>
> I have an iMac G5 c. Dec. 2004.  A few minutes ago, I inserted a DVD,
> but it seems not to have mounted in the drive.  The disk is just barely
> too far inside the machine to reach.  It's not visible from the outside
> at all.  I've gently tried to insert a second disk, hoping to push the
> first one all the way in, but it won't budge.
>
> I tried restarting the computer with the eject key depressed, and heard
> the drive trying to eject something, but, again, the disk didn't seem to
> move.
>
> Any ideas, short of reaching in there with a pair of tweezers and trying
> to pull the thing out?
>
> Thanks so much.

A lot of iMac G5s have the DVD drive slightly out of alignment with the slot
on the case. Some seem to think this is caused by warpage because the iMac
G5 runs way too hot. Personally, I think it's just poor quality control. A
quick search of the web will confirm this common problem. The solution?
Grab the edge of the disk with a pair of tweezers and pull it out.

Gotta love that Apple quality. lol!
0
antwun (1015)
4/18/2006 1:36:53 AM
www.dell.com

0
muahman3 (5374)
4/18/2006 1:42:53 AM

> A lot of iMac G5s have the DVD drive slightly out of alignment with the slot
> on the case. Some seem to think this is caused by warpage because the iMac
> G5 runs way too hot. Personally, I think it's just poor quality control. A
> quick search of the web will confirm this common problem. The solution?
> Grab the edge of the disk with a pair of tweezers and pull it out.

Thanks for the thoughts Steve.

I just had a conversation with my wife, who also uses the computer, and
I found out that she already had a disk in the drive when I inserted the
DVD.  I didn't see a disk icon on the desktop, sooooo...

I'd still appreciate suggestions as to how to proceed from here... an
iMac with TWO disks stuck in it.  :(

Thanks again.

--
Charles "Stretch" Ledford
STRETCH PHOTOGRAPHY
"North America and the Entire World"
http://NOstretchSPAMphotography.com
0
NstretchO (9)
4/18/2006 1:43:54 AM
"Charles "Stretch" Ledford" <NstretchO@SPstretchphotographyAM.com> wrote in
message news:NstretchO-22C058.21534617042006@news.east.earthlink.net...

>> A lot of iMac G5s have the DVD drive slightly out of alignment with the
>> slot
>> on the case. Some seem to think this is caused by warpage because the
>> iMac
>> G5 runs way too hot. Personally, I think it's just poor quality control.
>> quick search of the web will confirm this common problem. The solution?
>> Grab the edge of the disk with a pair of tweezers and pull it out.
>
> Thanks for the thoughts Steve.
>
> I just had a conversation with my wife, who also uses the computer, and
> I found out that she already had a disk in the drive when I inserted the
> DVD.  I didn't see a disk icon on the desktop, sooooo...
>
> I'd still appreciate suggestions as to how to proceed from here... an
> iMac with TWO disks stuck in it.  :(
>
> Thanks again.

You are gonna have to dig it out with some tweezers or computer needle nose.
If you try and use the
eject command you run the risk of the gears getting jammed and/or stripped.
I should pull out quite easily
with tweezers.

> --
> Charles "Stretch" Ledford
> STRETCH PHOTOGRAPHY
> "North America and the Entire World"
> http://NOstretchSPAMphotography.com

0
muahman3 (5374)
4/18/2006 1:53:46 AM
MuahMan wrote:

> "Charles "Stretch" Ledford" <NstretchO@SPstretchphotographyAM.com> wrote
> in message news:NstretchO-22C058.21534617042006@news.east.earthlink.net...
>>>
>>> A lot of iMac G5s have the DVD drive slightly out of alignment with the
>>> slot
>>> on the case. Some seem to think this is caused by warpage because the
>>> iMac
>>> G5 runs way too hot. Personally, I think it's just poor quality control.
>>> quick search of the web will confirm this common problem. The solution?
>>> Grab the edge of the disk with a pair of tweezers and pull it out.
>>
>> Thanks for the thoughts Steve.
>>
>> I just had a conversation with my wife, who also uses the computer, and
>> I found out that she already had a disk in the drive when I inserted the
>> DVD.  I didn't see a disk icon on the desktop, sooooo...
>>
>> I'd still appreciate suggestions as to how to proceed from here... an
>> iMac with TWO disks stuck in it.  :(
>>
>> Thanks again.
>
> You are gonna have to dig it out with some tweezers or computer needle
> nose. If you try and use the
> eject command you run the risk of the gears getting jammed and/or
> stripped. I should pull out quite easily
> with tweezers.

Wait wait wait! You mean it is actually possible to insert a disc in the
drive when there is already one in there? Not only that, but it'll jam the
drive if this is done? Wow! Now that's what I call intuitive hardware
design. rofl!
0
antwun (1015)
4/18/2006 2:08:43 AM
In article <LSX0g.153984$Un3.71307@fe10.news.easynews.com>, Stew
<antwun@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Wait wait wait! You mean it is actually possible to insert a disc in the
> drive when there is already one in there? Not only that, but it'll jam the
> drive if this is done? Wow! Now that's what I call intuitive hardware
> design. rofl!

This is often possible, and it could be true of any slot-loading disc
drive.
It is not an Apple-specific issue; I have had it happen to several
Windows users, also. (And in the same way!)

Also, the OP admitted it was a user error.

And it might have no consequences at all; might be able to remove both
discs without trouble and there is no reason to assume any kind of
damage. And since none of this is about the OS or functions relating to
that, it's not going to require any software steps.
0
mitch26 (4555)
4/18/2006 3:10:33 AM
On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 00:47:07 GMT, "Charles \"Stretch\" Ledford"
<NstretchO@SPstretchphotographyAM.com> wrote:

>Greetings, all.  Long time no see.
>
>I have an iMac G5 c. Dec. 2004.  A few minutes ago, I inserted a DVD,
>but it seems not to have mounted in the drive.  The disk is just barely
>too far inside the machine to reach.  It's not visible from the outside
>at all.  I've gently tried to insert a second disk, hoping to push the
>first one all the way in, but it won't budge.
>
>I tried restarting the computer with the eject key depressed, and heard
>the drive trying to eject something, but, again, the disk didn't seem to
>move.
>
>Any ideas, short of reaching in there with a pair of tweezers and trying
>to pull the thing out?
>
>Thanks so much.

At this point you're probably going to have to remove the drive and
open it up to get both disks out without screwing up something.

--
I am so old that I can remember when other people's
achievements were considered to be an inspiration,

Thomas Sowell
0
ev515o (4926)
4/18/2006 3:43:05 AM
Try to get gravity to help - tip the Mac on its side, with the slot down,
and eject and shake gently - might do the trick.

David

Charles \"Stretch\" Ledford wrote:

> Greetings, all.  Long time no see.
>
> I have an iMac G5 c. Dec. 2004.  A few minutes ago, I inserted a DVD,
> but it seems not to have mounted in the drive.  The disk is just barely
> too far inside the machine to reach.  It's not visible from the outside
> at all.  I've gently tried to insert a second disk, hoping to push the
> first one all the way in, but it won't budge.
>
> I tried restarting the computer with the eject key depressed, and heard
> the drive trying to eject something, but, again, the disk didn't seem to
> move.
>
> Any ideas, short of reaching in there with a pair of tweezers and trying
> to pull the thing out?
>
> Thanks so much.
>
> --
> Charles "Stretch" Ledford
> STRETCH PHOTOGRAPHY
> "North America and the Entire World"
> http://NOstretchSPAMphotography.com

0
quietguy (3)
4/18/2006 3:59:01 AM
In article <NstretchO-F4883E.20570017042006@news.east.earthlink.net>,
 wrote:

> http://NOstretchSPAMphotography.com

Nice Photography.

--
Regards,
JP
 wrote:

> Greetings, all.  Long time no see.
>
> I have an iMac G5 c. Dec. 2004.  A few minutes ago, I inserted a DVD,
> but it seems not to have mounted in the drive.  The disk is just barely
> too far inside the machine to reach.  It's not visible from the outside
> at all.  I've gently tried to insert a second disk, hoping to push the
> first one all the way in, but it won't budge.
>
> I tried restarting the computer with the eject key depressed, and heard
> the drive trying to eject something, but, again, the disk didn't seem to
> move.
>
> Any ideas, short of reaching in there with a pair of tweezers and trying
> to pull the thing out?
>
> Thanks so much.

You haven't said where you are, but a trip to the Genius Bar at an Apple
store would probably rectify the problem and avoid damaging the computer.

The G5 iMac is quite easy to disassemble. Several screws on the back and
it comes apart and the drives and components are modular. You might be
able to get the drive out and remove the disks with out damage.

Have you also tried holding down the mouse as you startup the iMac? If
you've hit apple+e to eject, doing the mouse thing shouldn't do any
damage that hasn't already been done.

If all this doesn't work, I'd try gently pulling on one disk, then the
other with the power off. One should come out, then you could eject the
other on startup with the mouse held down.

--
Regards,
JP
"The measure of a man is what he will do while
 expecting that he will get nothing in return!"
0
jpolaski4 (3157)
4/18/2006 4:23:28 AM
In article <jpolaski-A3ED36.23232817042006@netnews.comcast.net>,
 Jim Polaski <jpolaski@NOSPMync.net> wrote:

> In article <NstretchO-F4883E.20570017042006@news.east.earthlink.net>,
>  "Charles \"Stretch\" Ledford" <NstretchO@SPstretchphotographyAM.com>
>  wrote:
>
> > Greetings, all.  Long time no see.
> >
> > I have an iMac G5 c. Dec. 2004.  A few minutes ago, I inserted a DVD,
> > but it seems not to have mounted in the drive.  The disk is just barely
> > too far inside the machine to reach.  It's not visible from the outside
> > at all.  I've gently tried to insert a second disk, hoping to push the
> > first one all the way in, but it won't budge.
> >
> > I tried restarting the computer with the eject key depressed, and heard
> > the drive trying to eject something, but, again, the disk didn't seem to
> > move.
> >
> > Any ideas, short of reaching in there with a pair of tweezers and trying
> > to pull the thing out?
> >
> > Thanks so much.
>
> You haven't said where you are, but a trip to the Genius Bar at an Apple
> store would probably rectify the problem and avoid damaging the computer.

Thanks, Jim... I already have an appt. this morning.  I'll letcha know
how it goes...  Peace-

--
Charles "Stretch" Ledford
STRETCH PHOTOGRAPHY
"North America and the Entire World"
http://NOstretchSPAMphotography.com
0
NstretchO (9)
4/18/2006 11:00:53 AM
In article <jpolaski-795995.23155217042006@netnews.comcast.net>,
 Jim Polaski <jpolaski@NOSPMync.net> wrote:

> In article <NstretchO-F4883E.20570017042006@news.east.earthlink.net>,
>  "Charles \"Stretch\" Ledford" <NstretchO@SPstretchphotographyAM.com>
>  wrote:
>
> > http://NOstretchSPAMphotography.com
>
> Nice Photography.

welll...  :)

thankyuhvurmuch...

--
Charles "Stretch" Ledford
STRETCH PHOTOGRAPHY
"North America and the Entire World"
http://NOstretchSPAMphotography.com
0
NstretchO (9)
4/18/2006 11:02:43 AM
In article <i0o842puuu3tec480iom989m7cptrb812f@4ax.com>,
 Mayor of R'lyeh <ev515o@hotmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 00:47:07 GMT, "Charles \"Stretch\" Ledford"
> <NstretchO@SPstretchphotographyAM.com> wrote:
>
> >Greetings, all.  Long time no see.
> >
> >I have an iMac G5 c. Dec. 2004.  A few minutes ago, I inserted a DVD,
> >but it seems not to have mounted in the drive.  The disk is just barely
> >too far inside the machine to reach.  It's not visible from the outside
> >at all.  I've gently tried to insert a second disk, hoping to push the
> >first one all the way in, but it won't budge.
> >
> >I tried restarting the computer with the eject key depressed, and heard
> >the drive trying to eject something, but, again, the disk didn't seem to
> >move.
> >
> >Any ideas, short of reaching in there with a pair of tweezers and trying
> >to pull the thing out?
> >
> >Thanks so much.
>
> At this point you're probably going to have to remove the drive and
> open it up to get both disks out without screwing up something.

My thoughts also, if the genii at the genius bar can't help...  I've had
the iMac opened up once, but only to check that the airport antenna was
hooked up properly...

Is taking apart that drive a DIY job for a rank amateur?  (Again, just
in case the genius bar can't help...)

--
Charles "Stretch" Ledford
STRETCH PHOTOGRAPHY
"North America and the Entire World"
http://NOstretchSPAMphotography.com
0
NstretchO (9)
4/18/2006 11:04:56 AM
On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 11:04:56 GMT, "Charles \"Stretch\" Ledford"
<NstretchO@SPstretchphotographyAM.com> wrote:

>In article <i0o842puuu3tec480iom989m7cptrb812f@4ax.com>,
> Mayor of R'lyeh <ev515o@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 00:47:07 GMT, "Charles \"Stretch\" Ledford"
>> <NstretchO@SPstretchphotographyAM.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Greetings, all.  Long time no see.
>> >
>> >I have an iMac G5 c. Dec. 2004.  A few minutes ago, I inserted a DVD,
>> >but it seems not to have mounted in the drive.  The disk is just barely
>> >too far inside the machine to reach.  It's not visible from the outside
>> >at all.  I've gently tried to insert a second disk, hoping to push the
>> >first one all the way in, but it won't budge.
>> >
>> >I tried restarting the computer with the eject key depressed, and heard
>> >the drive trying to eject something, but, again, the disk didn't seem to
>> >move.
>> >
>> >Any ideas, short of reaching in there with a pair of tweezers and trying
>> >to pull the thing out?
>> >
>> >Thanks so much.
>>
>> At this point you're probably going to have to remove the drive and
>> open it up to get both disks out without screwing up something.
>
>My thoughts also, if the genii at the genius bar can't help...  I've had
>the iMac opened up once, but only to check that the airport antenna was
>hooked up properly...
>
>Is taking apart that drive a DIY job for a rank amateur?  (Again, just
>in case the genius bar can't help...)

I don't know about that particular drive but computer CD drives in
general are very easy to open up. Their covers are either simply press
fit or only use a couple of screws. I'd say its most likely that the
hardest part will be opening up the iMac's case.
You might look around on the web. These things happen from time to
time. Maybe someone has a DIY guide for just this occassion.

--
I am so old that I can remember when other people's
achievements were considered to be an inspiration,
rather than a grievance.

Thomas Sowell
0
ev515o (4926)
4/18/2006 5:11:00 PM
In article <167a4254jn549lh5c52sgog7a4u1f48ipb@4ax.com>,
 Mayor of R'lyeh <ev515o@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I don't know about that particular drive but computer CD drives in
> general are very easy to open up. Their covers are either simply press
> fit or only use a couple of screws. I'd say its most likely that the
> hardest part will be opening up the iMac's case.
> You might look around on the web. These things happen from time to
> time. Maybe someone has a DIY guide for just this occassion.

Actually, opening up this c. 2004 iMac is a breeze.  I did it just a
couple of weeks ago.

I won't have to do so now, however.  The genii at the Genius Bar did it
for me, removed both DVDs, and gave the 'puter a clean bill o' health.

3 cheers for the genii!  :)

--
Charles "Stretch" Ledford
STRETCH PHOTOGRAPHY
"North America and the Entire World"
http://NOstretchSPAMphotography.com
0
NstretchO (9)

Willie won't, Willie won't, won't go!
Ah yes, some 70s nostalgia tunes. ...

Files won't display, directory won't delete, drive won't format
After having a few slow-access problems, I ran a virus scan (McAfee) on my D: drive (second HDD, 15Gb). To my surprise, the scan listed a directory and files which I didn't recognise: I didn't note any full pathnames, but a typical one was something like D:\RECYCLER\S-1-5-21... Dd159.zip . I wondered if this was anything to do with the Recycle bin, despite the fact that I'd emptied it immediately before the scan. No viruses were detected, but when I ran an error check I got the message "the scan could not be completed". As a precaution I decided to ba...

4000T won't boot won't POST
I've had this problem for a while. Repair guys (no longer servicing Amiga's) said it was a problem with the motherboard not posting. (I believe this is a PC term) Said he got it working somehow by by-passing SCSI and using only IDE. But when returned it still did not work. Even with a new Power supply, nothing seems to power up. Even the floppy doesn't 'flick' (that funny noise it makes upon power-up) Any help appreciated. thanks Phil "Phil Bastien" <pbastien@nnby.net> ha scritto nel messaggio news:c9qtlu0na3@enews1.newsguy.com... > I've had this problem for a while. Repair guys (no longer servicing Amiga's) > said it was a problem with the motherboard not posting. (I believe this is a > PC term) Said he got it working somehow by by-passing SCSI and using only > IDE. But when returned it still did not work. Are you using an X-Calibur accelerator? It is incompatible with the A4091 and, with my configuration, it hangs just after loading its software, when it resets the Amiga. I am curious about how to bypass the SCSI controller in the A4000T... -- ___ __ / __|___ Daniele Gratteri, Italian Commodore-Amiga user... /// | / |__/ Nickname: FIAT1100D - ICQ: 53943994 Ritmo S75 __ /// | \__|__\ Home page: http://www.gratteri.tk forever! \\\/// \___| E-MAIL: daniele@gratteri.tk ...since 1990 \/// ...

jade won't configere, won't be made..
I try to participate in the translation of the PHP manual and want to install Jade. That one goes wrong: The configure of jade goes wrong. here is the tail of config.log and the tail of the make. I use RH9 ========================================= configure:1791: c++ -o conftest -ansi -O2 -fno-implicit-templates conftest.C 1>&5 configure:1814: checking for gettext in -lintl configure:1836: c++ -o conftest -ansi -O2 -fno-implicit-templates conftest.C -lintl 1>&5 /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lintl collect2: ld returned 1 exit status configure: failed program was: #line 1822 "configure" #include "confdefs.h" /* Override any gcc2 internal prototype to avoid an error. */ #ifdef __cplusplus extern "C" #endif /* We use char because int might match the return type of a gcc2 builtin and then its argument prototype would still apply. */ char gettext(); int main() { gettext() ; return 0; } configure:1861: checking for ANSI template instantiation configure:1881: c++ -o conftest -ansi -O2 -fno-implicit-templates conftest.C 1>&5 configure:2106: checking host system type configure:2129: checking for ranlib configure:2168: checking for ld used by GCC configure:2225: checking if the linker (/usr/bin/ld) is GNU ld GNU ld version 2.13.90.0.18 20030206 configure:2241: checking for BSD-compatible nm ltconfig:547: checking if gcc PIC flag -fPIC works ltconfig:548: gcc -c -g -O2 -fPIC -DPIC conftest.c 1>&5 ltconfig:591: checking...

Ubuntu Lurid crapware: "most problematic yet...nothing but a headache...won't automount external drives...won't recognize CD/DVD...Firefox drops connectivity"
"I have been using Ubuntu since Intrepid, and this has been by far the most problematic version yet! I had the best luck with Jaunty, but Karmic had the safely remove hardware option. Since Lucid is a "LTS" version I figured that I would be trouble free for 3 years... The first thing that was more of an annoyance was that the min. max., and close buttons were all on the left side. I remember a poll here where something like 75% of the people didn't like it. I was hoping that the Beta version would have gotten rid of it, but they didn't. It's not that big of a deal to switch, but it was annoying having all the other tabs like in Firefox on the right, and windows in VB on the right as well. The volume button at the top of the panel went MIA. It won't automount external hard drives. Won't auto recognise CDs or DVDs. Firefox seems to loose connectivity for no reason. This might be a wireless issue in Lucid itself. There was a thread on it a day or so ago. I had to recompile the Virtual Box Kernel so that it would load. After doing so I had to reconfig everything! Now it gives me some BS that this version is not suitable for production use... It also messed with my Compiz settings (which is nothing new). After burning a disc it says to eject it manually. I was hoping that updates would fix some of these problems, but they only caused more. After doing some updates everything I download is "locked". If Transmission i...

Printer won't print, messages won't delete in WindowsXP Pro
I'm running Windows XP Pro with a Lexmark Z22 printer. Often when I try to print, the printing notification widow pops up. As usual, I hear "Printing started," but nothing happens while the seconds are ticking away on the clock. If I try to cancel the job, then check the printing queue, the job is still there, marked "Deleting." The only way to get it to print is to restart, then it works (until the next time). The only way to delete the unsuccessful print job is to go into task manager under Processes and try to guess which process to delete. This works, when I g...

Shuffle error flashing lights! Won't sync, won't play...
Have had a Shuffle for a few weeks. Worked with Itunes just fine. About a week ago, I bought a regular G4 20GB Ipod and installed it. Also great with Itunes; no problems. Today, I tried to update the songs on the Shuffle. (The Shuffle appears in the left hand pane as one icon, the 20GB Ipod appears as another one.) The update seems to go OK but when I tried to play the songs from the Shuffle, I got no sound and only flashing red and green lights. This, I see in Ipod HELP, is an error message. In Itunes, next to the # of each song supposedly in the Shuffle, is a little grey dot. I read that this means that Itunes cannot sync with the Shuffle. It is possible that I have done something or something has happened to make the Shuffle inoperable. Or, it is possible that this was the first time I tried to update the songs on it since I installed the 20GB Ipod. Can you run a Shuffle and an Ipod off the same Itunes? If so, are there any special settings you have to take care of? I have "reset" the Shuffle (turn it on and off), upgraded its operating system to 1.1 and restored it to factory settings, using the Apple downloaded updater. I would like both the shuffle and the ipod to sync and work right from my copy of Itunes, depending on which one is attached to the USB port. But right now, the Shuffle won't sync. Ideas? Solutions? I have searched Apple Ipod HELP but can't find anything about this. Dell PC, Windows XP Home...

database layouts won't print, now database won't open
using Mac OS 10.3.4, filemaker pro 7. working with a database converted from filemaker 3. Everything seemed to be fine. Created a new table and imported data into that from another Filemaker 3 database (someone else created these). Layouts were created very easilly. I go to print a layout (label) and choose ALL and it will only print one record, no matter what I put in the print dialogue box. Open other databases and they all printed fine in similar layouts. Tried to "recover' it, thinking it was somehow corrupted (the woman was having a hard time printing it. I thought it was...

HELP: Classic Won't Launch - Problems Have Escalated
System: MDD DP with OS 10.4.8. Three physical HD's. Two with Tiger installed (one is the major HD and the other is the emergency boot drive with just a virgin system on it) and one with just games, no OS. I tried to boot into OS 9.2.2 (this particular G4 is OS 9.2.2 bootable), It boots but once the desktop appears moving the mouse over the menu bar has no effect. Menus don't pull down and the only way to shutdown is via a hard shutdown. When I try Target Disk Mode with an iBook G4, the only drive that mounts is the games drive which has no system on it. I can't get the opitcal dri...

Print Spooler won't start; dependent on lexbces.exe but that won't start either; So why?
Windows XP Home SP2 I have two Lexmark printers installed (or at least I used to). Actually, I have the Lexmark folders in Program Files, but the printers don't seem to be installed anymore. The printers are Lexmark 640 series Lexmark 2400 series They pretty much worked until just now. In the Printer and Faxes folder I only see the Add Printer and nothing else. When I try to start Add Printer, I get an alert saying the Printer Spool service isn't running. When I go to (run) services.msc , I find that Print Spooler is stopped. (It's stopped and) It won'...

mac won't boot...memberd[58] can't find root user
I am not much of a mac user but was given the task of getting postgresql and an application working on a G4. I successfully installed postgresql from the sourceforge package and got this java application running. The only thing I can think that i did other than the postgresql install is that I reset the root passwd. Everything was working great until I rebooted this morning. The gray screen with the apple appears with the progress pinwheel and nothing happens. I was not able to boot into safe mode. I was able to boot in singleuser mode. When I try and startup from there I see this repeate...

Ubuntu Lurid crapware: "extremely disappointing...won't boot...won't recover...no terminal mode... Nothing"
#1167 at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1465548&page=117 Linux == guaranteed disappointment. On Tue, 06 Jul 2010 12:17:41 -0400, DFS wrote: > #1167 at > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1465548&page=117 > > > Linux == guaranteed disappointment. No, it doesn't. -- Rick On 2010-07-06, the following emerged from the brain of Rick: > On Tue, 06 Jul 2010 12:17:41 -0400, DFS wrote: > >> #1167 at >> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1465548&page=117 >> >> >> Linux == guaranteed disappointment. > > No, it doesn't. Indeed it doesn't. It's a very good kernel! -- BOFH excuse #337: the butane lighter causes the pincushioning On 06-07-10 18:40, Rick wrote: > On Tue, 06 Jul 2010 12:17:41 -0400, DFS wrote: > >> #1167 at >> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1465548&page=117 >> >> >> Linux == guaranteed disappointment. Lie! > > No, it doesn't. Fact is that all recent GNU/Linux releases kick Microsoft Windows 7's ass in stability, usability, hardware support, (lower) resources requirement and price. Of course a lying Astroturfer like DFS can't have that and thus spreads misinformation. -- |_|0|_| Marti T. van Lin, alias ML2MST |_|_|0| Registered GNU/Linux user 513040 |0|0|0| http://www.soundclick.com/martivanlin Rick wrote: >> Linux == guaranteed disappointment. ...

Problem updating bios V20Z. SP went ok, bios won't go and machines won't start anymore
Hi, Got three V20Z's here, which needed a SP/BIOS update. All updated to 2.4.0.10 SP without problem One of them updated BIOS to 1.35.2.2 without problem. The other two didn't want there BIOS updated. What even makes it worse is that they won't start at all anymore! Tried all sort's of things, resetting SP, clearing CMOS, reverting SP to older versios, etc. etc. Nothing which solved it This is what it shows when I try to update localhost $ platform set os state update-bios /mnt/sw_images/platform/firmware/bios/V1.35.2.2/bios.sp This command may take several minutes. Plea...

Karmic Krapware: "no sound...no video... lost the GUI... USB stick won't work...won't shutdown properly"
"All upgraded OK, but then noticed no sound, and no video. After following some online advice with hardware drivers tried to update Nvidia, and I then lost the GUI. Can get back by editing out Nvidia for Vesa in xorg.conf, but have to each time I start, and graphics too low to run much. Was going to back a few things up and re-install Jaunty, and now find USB memory stick will not work. Tried downloading and installing latest Nvidia driver, but got lots of error messages regarding kernels and headers that I can't resolve. Now will not even shutdown properly." #764 at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1305924&highlight=Karmic+freeze&page=77 Linux is a never-ending litany of woes. You almost have to feel sorry for the hobby-slopware victims. Then again, it's just their playtime toy tinkering that's being ruined. "DFS" <nospam@dfs_.com> writes: > "All upgraded OK, but then noticed no sound, and no video. After > following So after the OK upgrade he "then" noticed no sound or video. Wow. What an astute guy! On Sun, 08 Nov 2009 15:07:12 +0100, Hadron wrote: > "DFS" <nospam@dfs_.com> writes: > >> "All upgraded OK, but then noticed no sound, and no video. After >> following > > So after the OK upgrade he "then" noticed no sound or video. > > Wow. > > What an astute guy! Maybe he is deaf and blind? They seem to be...

DVD's that won't play on dvd players
I got a real problem. I just bought a DVD burner. I want to store my music files on DVD's, because it stores much more files than a CD ( i begin to have some troubles with storage, don't have much space ). I've just seen that my DVD's don't play on a regular living-room player. I thought it was because it was a DVD-VIDEO and then i went to a FNAC store to try the DVD's on a DVD-AUDIO. Again the player don't recognize the DVD's. Well, i'm going to explain you how do i get my music files. I have a pc satellite card (CONCEPTRONIC CTVSATI), which allows me to tune in international radio stations. Then, i record what i want to hard disk with proper software. The files come as m2a. files, by default (which i think is a MP 2 file). I put the files in WINAMP to transform them in WAVE. Then i edit the files with COOL EDIT 2000. When i end editing the files, they are in the WAVE format (that's what i think, although their "logo" isn't the same as before, they have the .wav extension). At the FNAC store we tried a DVD with MP 3's files and the player could recognize and play them. The guys on the store told me to store the files as MP 3 files. But there's another question: are the MP 3 files quality equal to WAVE ? Even at 320 kbs ? I intend to buy a real audio system in the future, so i can enjoy the files and hear them properly, if you know what i mean. Is this the right place to post this kind of questi...

Ubuntu Lurid crapware: "random freezes...get new kernel...now wireless won't work...drivers won't activate"
"Darnit. I've been having the same problems with ubuntu just not responding. I tried updating to the latest kernel, did it but now my wireless won't work. And the drivers won't active. I'm wondering if this problem is happening while I'm running transmission.... If not I hope they release the fix in 10.04.1" #604 at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1478787&page=61 Keep hope alive! What you're experiencing is the result of low pay, laziness and apathy, traits common amongst Linux "developers". ...

korganizer icon won't 'stick' in sys. tray upon start-up.
Running new Kanotix, kde 3.4.x I open korganizer (calendar) and I get the blue icon (with bell) in system tray. I right click to start daemon at start-up. I have KDE session manager set to "restore previous session'. I logout and back in and no icon... no calendar. I also tried setting it it "restore manally saved" session but that didn't work either. Is there some setting I forgot? Is there something I need to do to make this 'stick' ???? It works on my Debian box, but not on this laptop. Thanks, Al ...

Can't understand why this won't compile
The problem code: // line 0 template <class T, T* (T::*C)(void) const> class cc { }; // line 6 class e { public: virtual e *clone(void) const; cc<e,&clone> ee(void) const; }; This code causes problems with both Visual C++ 7 (2003) and g++ 2.96. With VC, I get the following error message: c:\Documents and Settings\CJ\My Documents\Projects\Project Grapher\Source Code\Expression.cpp(22): fatal error C1001: INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR (compiler file 'msc1.cpp', line 2701) Please choose the Technical Support command on the Visual C++ Help menu, or open the Technical Support help file for more information In g++, I get two different results. Whith the code above, I get the following: test.cpp:12: invalid use of undefined type `class e' test.cpp:8: forward declaration of `class e' test.cpp:12: template argument 2 is invalid test.cpp:12: ISO C++ forbids declaration of `ee' with no type When using &e::clone instead of &clone, g++ reports: test.cpp:12: Internal error: Segmentation fault. (with the same change, VC still has an internal compiler error) Unless, for some reason, I really can't use e from within e (which I know can't be right), I can't see the reason for these error messages. Anyone know what's going on? Should this code not compile anyway? Thanks for you time -CJ contact: http://stude...

Can't shutdown. Won't shutdown.
My Mac Mini, version OSX 10.4.9, refuses to shut down correctly. The monitor displays a grey screen telling me I must switch off the Mini using the power button. I humbly obey but, when I switch on again, an annoying message tells me that the damned thing shut down unexpectedly. A minor and trivial niggle, I'm sure, but is there anything I can do to sort it? "Davo" <u33430@uwe> writes: >My Mac Mini, version OSX 10.4.9, refuses to shut down correctly. The monitor >displays a grey screen telling me I must switch off the Mini using the power >button. This sounds ...

Article: ... Longhorn
Bill Gates: Microsoft 'working hard' on Longhorn - 'won't be a radical shift' just 'an improvement' http://macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/4866/ ----- Start Quotes ----- "Microsoft Corp. Chairman Bill Gates said current Internet search-engine technology is 'a joke,' and promised better features in two to three years. But the head of the software giant, in an event on the sidelines of the World Economic Forum here late Friday, acknowledged that Microsoft had stumbled in its own search-engine efforts. He said the company had been 'stupid as hell' to let Google take the lead in the search market," Peter Loftus and Taska Manzaroli report for Dow Jones Newswires. "Separately, Gates said Microsoft was 'certainly working hard' to release a new computer operating system, dubbed Longhorn, in 2006. 'It won't be a radical shift, but it will be clearly an improvement on Windows,' the ubiquitous operating system, Gates ----- End Quotes ----- Does MS have the money to toss into Longhorn and search technologies to play catch-up with Apple and Google? Probably the first iteration of both Longhorn and their search technologies will suck, but enough people will foolishly buy into it, and by version 4, each will be pretty good. -- Picture of a tuna soda: http://snipurl.com/bid1 Feel free to ask for the recipe. In article <BE230F2D.1E4A4%SNIT@CABLE0NE.NET.INVALID>, Snit <SNIT@CABLE0NE....

Optionmenu won't 'justify'
Hello- I am building an application in Perl/Tk and cannot get Optionmenus to justify. I have searched around and can find no reference to this being a known bug. Am I overlooking something? Or do optionmenus not justify? The following code demonstrates that the current option is centered on the button and will not right justify. Likewise the additional options in the dropdown are left justified and will not right justify. -------------------------------------- #!/usr/bin/perl use Tk; use strict; use warnings; my $mw = MainWindow->new; my $frame = $mw->Frame->...

Help: I can't figure out why this won't work
I have a hyperlink on an ASP page that calls another ASP page with the code shown below. This page allows (forces) a user to select a file to be uploaded, then should call a third ASP page that will do the actual upload. What happens is I can enter a file name but the third page doesn't get loaded. I see the upload page being called in the browser when the alert message displays, but then it appears to reload this page. What am I missing??? I should also note that the upload page opens fine if I move the location.href command outside of the function (for testing purposes). <FORM N...

DVD player won't play last 2 to 3 minutes of some DVD's
Hello, My DVD player (Samsung SD-616T, Dell Part #2C242) plays through until the last 2 to 4 minutes and then the picture freezes while the player continues to turn and the green seek light continues to blink. I am using Windows Media Player 9 and Windows XP on a Dell Dimension 8300 (2.8 GHz with 1 GB RAM). The disk is clean and this behavior doesn't happen with all movies. Other than this the player has no problem reading CD's or DVD's, just the playing of the last few minutes of some DVD's is a problem. Here is the link to the Samsung product page if that is helpf...

DVD player won't play last 2 to 3 minutes of some DVD's
Hello, My DVD player, a Samsung SD-616T, plays through until the last 2 to 4 minutes and then the picture freezes while the player continues to turn and the green seek light continues to blink. I am using Windows Media Player 9, Windows XP, 2.8 GHz CPU and 1 GB RAM. The disk is clean and this behavior doesn't happen with all movies. Other than this the player has no problem reading CD's or DVD's, just the playing of the last few minutes of some DVD's is a problem. Here is the link to the Samsung product page if that is helpful: http://www.samsung.com/Products/CDDVD_Rom/DVD_ROMHalf_Height/CDDVD_Rom_DVD_ROMHalf_Height_SD_616T.htm The firmware is the latest offered by Samsung, version F311 Thanks, Steve. "Steve" <abc@123.com> wrote in message news:<u_2tc.73192$tp3.31641@newssvr25.news.prodigy.com>... > Hello, > > My DVD player, a Samsung SD-616T, plays through until the last 2 to 4 > minutes and then the picture freezes while the player continues to turn and > the green seek light continues to blink. I am using Windows Media Player 9, > Windows XP, 2.8 GHz CPU and 1 GB RAM. The disk is clean and this behavior > doesn't happen with all movies. Other than this the player has no problem > reading CD's or DVD's, just the playing of the last few minutes of some > DVD's is a problem. > > Here is the link to the Samsung product page if that is helpful: > http://www.samsung.com/Products/CD...

Web resources about - DVD Won't Enter, Won't Exit - comp.sys.mac