G5 Powerpc boot problem

Hi all a bit new to Macs and hoping someone might have suggestions for my
problem.I recently bought this G5 desktop(1.6 cpu).It was running Tiger but
I wanted to do a complete switch  to Leopard.I have become convinced that it
must have a mobo/hardware fault.Basically it will not boot from
internal/external dvd,ext usb hard drive,ext firewire dvd or hard drive
etc.When I power on pressing the option key I can see all attached devices
but the mouse cursor is frozen in the top left corner which means I cannot
choose a device to boot from?????Have tried other mice and keyboard too.I
finally managed to get Leopard installed but had to borrow a friends tower
and put my hard drive in to install the OS then put the hard drive back in
my tower.Have tried the key combinations to force cd boot but without
success.Has anyone come across this or have any suggestions as to anything
further to try?
TIA
Mick

comp.sys.mac 1198 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

agp440.sys boot problem...
Hello, Sorry for the x post but I need help big time... I installed a new motherboard and cpu in my system as I fried the old ones. I did not do a clean install of Windows XP as my HP Pavilion system did not come with any recovery cd's so I hooked my existing hard drive up to the system and powered up. Anyway, it powers up ok but the first time I switched it on there was a blue error screen that flashed on for a second and then the system rebooted itself. Now when I power on I can get past the bios screen ok but before the windows logo appears I get the boot menu offering safe mode , safe mode with networking, normal mode etc. A message appears on this screen saying that the options appear as windows xp did not shut down correctly etc etc If I choose normal mode then a white progress bar at the bottom of the screen appears, it gets to the end of it and sits there.....for ever. If I choose safe mode then it shows it loading all the files from the hard drive and it gets to a file agp440.sys and it sits there...forever. So whatever this file is it is causing the system to hang, Various fixes I have seen include getting into Windows and disabling the agp440.sys service. But I cannot get into xp at all as my system did not come with boot cd's. I can boot to a win98 floppy ok but I cannot access drive c: as it is ntfs, I thought maybe I could rename agp440.sys to something else. Any ideas on how to get round this agp440.sys problem? I *really* don't want...

Mac Classic Boot problems
Got my old Mac Classic out of the cupboard yesterday and tried to get the external scsi zip drive to work. Well, the computer wouldn't even boot, so I turned it off, removed the zip drive and tried again (it worked before I tried the zip drive experimemt BTW). Well, now the computer won't even boot. It gets to the Welcome to Macintosh screen and just hangs there. I don't have the System 7 disks (not the disk tools either) but I could probably get hold of them. I could download from the web but I don't have a floppy drive on my G4 (of course) I recall my old Plus that I used to have used to boot from the Zip so I am gathering the Classic will too, I know this might seem like a waste of time, but I used to like typing stories on the Classic - it had character. Now I want the character back :-) I did try holding shift down to turn off extensions, but that didn't work. I even tried the hidden ROM thing, but that didn't work either. Can I get the Zip driver anywhere? Any other thoughts? Thanks Groucho On 2007-08-10 11:30:37 -0500, Groucho <groucho@mockfrog.com> said: > I did try holding shift down to turn off extensions, but that didn't > work. What do you mean "it didn't work"? Did you see the "Extensions Disabled" message during startup at all? How far did the startup get? -- Apply rot13 to this e-mail address before using it. JR On Aug 11, 5:08 am, Jolly Roger <wbyyleb...@cbobk.pbz> wr...

Gigabit problem on Mac G5
Hi all, I'm having a confusing networking problem with my G5. The config is this: Two iMac G5 (not intel), one with iSight, one without. They both have gigabit ethernet. I am using a Netgear GS605 gigabit switch. I noticed today that the indicator lights on the switch show the G5 without iSight (computer B) running at 1 Gb, but the G5 with the iSight camera (computer A) was only running at 100 Mbps. Determined to get to the bottom of this, I did some troubleshooting. I tried connecting through different ports, different wires, etc. I connected Comp A to the network station of Comp B (which I knew was working properly), and still no gigabit. Just for good measure I ran a cable between the iMacs and sure enough, both dropped to 100 Mb. When I put them back to their original configuration, everything worked fine. I'm using good-quality Cat 5e with Cat 6 patch cables. I'm sure its not the cables and the switch because Comp B works in every configuration, and Comp A doesn't. If I run ifconfig, I see that Comp A is capable of 1000baseT but only running at 100. Anyways, I tried all the hardware stuff, and I also tried setting up a new Network Port Config, manually setting the 1000Mbps rate (it wouldn't see the network anymore), and a few other things, with no success. Does anyone have experience with this? Is this a hardware problem? Is something configured incorrectly? The computer is out of warranty by now so I don't want to call (ie, pay mo...

installation problems on mac powerpc
interested in nltk installation on a mac osx 10.4.9 however when try to install latest python get error cannot access subprocesses and won't even open idle got nltk to open through a terminal but entire process I fear is fragmented is there a better walk through of installation than what I've found on sourceforge? Any suggestions? On Jul 14, 1:21 am, python27em...@yahoo.com wrote: > interested in nltk installation on a mac osx 10.4.9 > > however when try to install latest python > > get error cannot access subprocesses and won't even open idle > got nltk to...

agp440.sys boot problem... #2
Hello, Sorry for the x post but I need help big time... I installed a new motherboard and cpu in my system as I fried the old ones. I did not do a clean install of Windows XP as my HP Pavilion system did not come with any recovery cd's so I hooked my existing hard drive up to the system and powered up. Anyway, it powers up ok but the first time I switched it on there was a blue error screen that flashed on for a second and then the system rebooted itself. Now when I power on I can get past the bios screen ok but before the windows logo appears I get the boot menu offering safe mode , safe mode with networking, normal mode etc. A message appears on this screen saying that the options appear as windows xp did not shut down correctly etc etc If I choose normal mode then a white progress bar at the bottom of the screen appears, it gets to the end of it and sits there.....for ever. If I choose safe mode then it shows it loading all the files from the hard drive and it gets to a file agp440.sys and it sits there...forever. So whatever this file is it is causing the system to hang, Various fixes I have seen include getting into Windows and disabling the agp440.sys service. But I cannot get into xp at all as my system did not come with boot cd's. I can boot to a win98 floppy ok but I cannot access drive c: as it is ntfs, I thought maybe I could rename agp440.sys to something else. Any ideas on how to get round this agp440.sys problem? I really don't want t...

major agp440.sys boot up problem...
[...]

Mac OS X Boot Problem
I have a dual boot G4 which I usually run in OS 9. I have booted it up in OS X before without a problem. Today I set it to boot in OS X and upon restarting all I get is the grey apple logo sitting there.... and nothing else, ever! Does anyone have any ideas what could of caused this type of boot error, and more importantly how can I resolve it?!!? Thanx. ...

Debian Sarge boot problems on Mac 9600
I've got a Mac 9600 running Debian Sarge, but with an old 2.4.18 kernel. I haven't been able to get any more recent kernel working for years; I've tried compiling 2.4.27 and 2.6.8, amongst others. The machine has an Adaptec 2940UW card in it running a RAID-1 for /home. The old kernel has this as a module, but it won't autoload the module before trying to mount /home, so I have to manually load the module and start the RAID on boot-up. I've tried adding aic7xxx options to the boot params, but nothing I've tried will load the module early enough. I've been using make-kpkg to try to build a custom kernel with the driver in it, but every kernel I build loads at the OF prompt, then the screen goes blank and enters power-save. None of the kernels are booting the network. I've tried adding boot params to set up the video card (it's the apparently rare IMStt 8Mb with the TVP RAMDAC), to no avail. I've tried video=ofonly and including the OpenFirmware console driver, but that blanks as well. lspci reveals: 0000:00:0b.0 Host bridge: Apple Computer Inc. Bandit PowerPC host bridge (rev 03) 0000:00:0d.0 SCSI storage controller: Adaptec AHA-2940U/UW/D / AIC-7881U 0000:00:0f.0 Ethernet controller: 3Com Corporation 3c590 10BaseT [Vortex] 0000:00:10.0 ff00: Apple Computer Inc. Grand Central I/O (rev 02) 0000:01:0b.0 Host bridge: Apple Computer Inc. Bandit PowerPC host bridge (rev 03) 0000:01:0f.0 Display controller: Integrated Micro Solutions Inc. IM...

Mac OSX install caused boot problems
Hello group, We have an Imac, 233 Mhz with 6gb hard drive. System 8.6 Stuck the Mac OSX CD in the drive and it took 20 minutes to get to ask us if we agreed to license, etc. Installation did NOT start. It quit, telling us that it needed 1.9 Gb of space. We only have 800 Mb We went to FILE/ RESTART. It told us to hold OPTION to restart our previous operating system. System 8.6 worked perfectly prior to this. When we restarted, we get a WHITE screen reporting Firmware version, and a command prompt. I messed around with typing some commands in. BOOT with the OSX CD in the drive boots...

major idiot... agp440.sys boot up problem...
[...]

BDI2000 powerpc u-boot debug problem
Hi, I met a gdb problem when I am trying to debug u-boot with BDI2000 for MPC 8xxx target. The u-boot is burn into flash starting from address 0xfff00100. No matter where I set break point, the system can not stop there after I issue the continue command. I try different values for DER, but none works (e.g. DER<=0x73e67c0f). Also for some function all implemented in assemly (e.g memset(..)), step command becomes step in command. Any one had the similar problem? I have searched the groups, seems no one met the problem. Thanks for the helps! hfei wrote: >...

Exotic Cisco 2801 boot problem (MAC address lost?)
Hi! I changed compoactflash cards on one of our cisco 2801's power connected trying to get a 512MB card partitioned to 128MB to work, and when I Installed this 512MB card, router dropped suddenly to rommon. I Switched power off and tried to boot with original Card but router finds image and decompresses and loads it but hangs after "Installed image archive" prompt. I tried booting also with flashcards from other (working) 2801's without success. I made sure that config-register is 0x2102 and also tried with 0x2142, 0x2141 and 0x2101. I tried to dowload new version...

Power Mac G5 & Radeon X1900
I was attempting to get Debian (Squeeze, latest net-install CD) working with a Radeon X1900 Mac edition video card (PCI-Express) on my Power Mac G5 Quad. The installer acted a bit weird right from the start, telling me that the step "Install the system" failed (with nothing in the way of useful error information,) but I got the base system installed at least. It booted fine to framebuffer console, so I set about installing GNOME on it. apt finished with nary a complaint, but when I rebooted, I found that when it was ready to launch into X, it choked up and just sat there with a blank screen and a cursor. (Weirdly, though, the screen itself flickered on and off at a high rate, faster than the actual cursor blink.) Framebuffer console still worked, at least, so I was able to boot into single-user mode and do some investigating in my own limited capacity for this stuff (by which I mean "Google error messages and see what specifics are requested.") lspci -k showed the video card properly with the manufacturer and product name, so it was recognizing it, at least. When I tried Xorg -configure, though (Xorg 1.7.7, it says,) it aborted with a "No DRICreatePCIBusID symbol" message. Checking dmesg gave me a "process Xorg mapped non-existing PCI legacy memory" message, followed by an "invalid ROM contents" message underneath. For the time being, I put the GeForce 6600 it came with back in and got things up and running. However, when I ...

Problem booting into service mode on powerPC 595 (aix 5.1)
Greetings... When trying to boot into service mode, I get the following: 0514-440 cfgcon: failed to create log file: check path name, permissions, and available space Testing sa0 Then I am presented the diagnostics menu. Also, running diagnostics gives me the following: 831-123: Standard Serial Port local chip wrap failed sa1 00--00-s2 sio0 00-00 Finally, I can boot into normal mode with no problem. I need to get into service mode to do a nim clone of another machine. Thanks in advance for any and all help, Lou Solot <lsolot@argoscomp.com> ...

Mac-to-Mac Keyboard Mapping Problem
I need to control in iMac remotely from a MacBook. In general, the solution using VNC (Remote Desktop or VineServer + Chicken) is exactly what I need. But... Both systems are equipped with German keyboards. And VNC does not support the special characters, umlauts and so on. Even entering a semicolon becomes a serious problem. Has anybody experience in making a VNC connection working correct also for non-US keyboards? From watching around in newsgroups Apple themselves with their own RDC have a solution so it should be possible via VNC. The Apple RDC is simply too expensive for me - USD 299 for to systems to manage while I need to manage only a single system. ...

Mac OS X Security Update 2009-004 (PowerPC) problems as of 8/25 PM
Hello, I'm wondering if anyone else is having this problem. Pardon the quality of this post, but its due to my ignorance and not laziness, thanks. Basically, it seems like the latest OS X security update has disabled my lmgrd file somehow, which seems to limit IDL to demo mode. However, as noted below, running shade_surf causes a bus error, and its my understanding that shade_surf works in The local mac fixit guys say that they can restore the OS to how it was a few days ago, at which point I'm hoping I"ll be back in business. Based on the information below, does anyone have an...

problem with reload(sys) (doing reload on the sys module)
Python 2.4.2 (#67, Sep 28 2005, 12:41:11) [MSC v.1310 32 bit (Intel)] on win32 Type "copyright", "credits" or "license()" for more information. **************************************************************** Personal firewall software may warn about the connection IDLE makes to its subprocess using this computer's internal loopback interface. This connection is not visible on any external interface and no data is sent to or received from the Internet. **************************************************************** IDLE 1.1.2 >&g...

BIG PROBLEM : Configuration Boot Problem Stratix
hi, we've got some Stratix DSP development kit EP1S25 where at the power-on don't load the flash memory to the FPGA !!! We've seen that the EPLD MAX 7064 often fail the programmation of the FPGA... We've seen that the RESET of this EPLD is in the same time that the 3.3 V power-on... Did someone have this this problem yet... and how to boot at any time on power-on ? Perhaps it's be better if the RESET is after the 3.3V power-on ? We utilizes 3 board in a big system and we have this problem now of non programming at boot.. Thanks "Patrick" <patrick.melet...

How to boot from a CD in a Mac that has the boot (firmware) password set?
Dear friends: =46ollowing the recommendation published in the last, just appeared, issue of "Mac World", I booted my MacBook Pro from the Leopard install DVD, went to the "Utilities" menu, and set the Boot (Firmware) password in order to avoid the risk that somebody could boot from a CD, if my computer is stolen, and copy the information there. This is a common practice that I have used from years in my Windows laptops without any problem. What the "Mac World" article didn't say, is how to enter the password when you boot your Mac. Why they didn't includ...

Booting Umax J700 PowerPC from Linux Boot CD ???
Can anyone tell me how to boot my Umax J700 from the CDROM drive - so that I can install any version of Linux onto the machine. It is a 180Mhz 604e CPU, has 192megs of RAM, 2 HDs - 1) 1.2gig, 2) 2gig Thanks ...

MDI on mac
------_=_NextPart_001_01C755D1.B10C7B14 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi, WX: 2.8.1 OS: Mac OS-X, Carbon app Compiler: XCode 2.4.1 using GCC 4.0.1 I already posted this question and got no help. I tried looking at this further, and I still can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I'm a WX newbie, so I hope I'm not wasting anyone's time with a stupid question. I've tried a lot of things to solve this, and tried the forums as well, and so far it hasn't helped. I've encounter...

Problems booting OS X after booting OS 9
BW G3, 300 MHz, 256Mb RAM, OS 10.3.3 and OS 9.2.2, Sony Trinitron Multiscan E210 monitor I have a UMAX scanner for which there are no OSX drivers. This means that I have to boot in OS 9 whenever I need to scan something (which is daily, at least). The computer boots fine in OS9 and everything runs great, until I reboot in OSX. Immediately after the chime, the monitor goes into a power-saving mode (I have system prefs set NOT to put the monitor to sleep) and I'm not sure what else is going on because the monitor is black, and all HD sounds cease. If I zap the PRAM, everything s...

Problems booting in OS X after booting in OS 9
BW G3, 300 MHz, 256Mb RAM, OS 10.3.3 and OS 9.2.2, Sony Trinitron Multiscan E210 monitor I have a UMAX scanner for which there are no OSX drivers. This means that I have to boot in OS 9 whenever I need to scan something (which is daily, at least). The computer boots fine in OS9 and everything runs great, until I reboot in OSX. Immediately after the chime, the monitor goes into a power-saving mode (I have system prefs set NOT to put the monitor to sleep) and I'm not sure what else is going on because the monitor is black, and all HD sounds cease. If I zap the PRAM, everything s...

Moving files from G5 Mac to a IIgs (and Mac Plus) ... ?
I currently have a dual G4 800 Power Mac with a "Stealth Serial Port" - a "real" serial port that can do LocalTalk (AppleTalk) under OS 9, which boots native on this machine. I also have an Apple IIgs and a Mac Plus that has a SCSI<->Ethernet adapter. I have been able to tie the IIgs to the G4 (booted under OS 9) and move files using LocalTalk. I have been able to use AppleTalk over Ethernet to move files from the G4 (booted under OS 9) to the Mac Plus. I am about to be rid of this G4 has I have a dual 2.5GHz G5 on order. It cannot boot OS 9 natively. OS X will ...

Web resources about - G5 Powerpc boot problem - comp.sys.mac

PowerPC G4 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
PowerPC G4 is a designation used by Apple Computer to describe a fourth generation of 32-bit PowerPC microprocessors . Apple has applied this ...

Defections to ARM hurt PowerPC, MIPS
The PowerPC is best known for powering old Mac computers, while MIPS processors were in the first PlayStation, NASA's New Horizons spacecraft ...

Latest Snow Leopard security update breaks popular PowerPC apps like Quicken
As part of the Mac OS X 10.7.3 update released earlier this week, Security Update 2012-001 [release notes] for Snow Leopard broke compatibility ...

Apple and IBM Introduce the PowerPC G5 Processor
WWDC 2003, San Francisco—June 23, 2003—Apple® and IBM together today introduced the world’s first 64-bit desktop processor—the PowerPC G5. Based ...

P.A. Semi’s major PowerPC announcement, and looking back at The Switch - Ars Technica
P.A. Semi licenses PowerPC from IBM and does what Moto/Freescale could not. …

Firefox 3.6 likely the last for PowerPC Macs
... Read this article by Stephen Shankland on CNET News. The current version of Firefox will likely be the end of the road for people using PowerPC ...

Snow Leopard name all about appeasing PowerPC customers
Apple's Snow Leopard announcement was a bit of a surprise to many. Not just because the new OS isn't going to support PowerPC or that there weren't ...

Apple Drops iTunes, Old Software Updates for PowerPC Macs
iTunes icons through the years. PowerPC-based Macs have long been considered dead and buried by Apple, but the company just put a few more nails ...

AMCC drives to high end of embedded PowerPC market
... drive the company into high-end embedded markets. SAN JOSE, Calif. Applied Micro Circuits Corp. (Sunnyvale, Calif.) debuts today a new PowerPC ...

Snow Leopard to drop PowerPC support?
PowerPC users, your days could be numbered. According to an alleged screenshot of Snow Leopard's system requirements, only Intel CPUs will get ...