New to OS X-confused about downloaded .img files

I just switched to OS X from OS 9.  I'm confused about downloading some
files.  After I download a program like NewsWatcher 3.2, I've got an
icon for the program and I've got a .img file for the same program. If I
delete the .img file I've deleted the whole program.
What do I do with the .img file.  Isn't it like a .sit file that you can
just trash when it opens up to reveal the whole file?  If I drag the
regular icon into the applications folder from the desktop it
automatically becomes an alias.  I'm confused.

Your help with this would be appreciated.

Cheers
0
mrjazz (3)
11/22/2004 4:54:28 AM
comp.sys.mac 1198 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

mrjazz wrote:
> I just switched to OS X from OS 9.  I'm confused about downloading some
> files.  After I download a program like NewsWatcher 3.2, I've got an
> icon for the program and I've got a .img file for the same program. If I
> delete the .img file I've deleted the whole program.
> What do I do with the .img file.  Isn't it like a .sit file that you can
> just trash when it opens up to reveal the whole file?  If I drag the
> regular icon into the applications folder from the desktop it
> automatically becomes an alias.  I'm confused.
>
> Your help with this would be appreciated.
>
> Cheers
..img and .dmg files are 'virtual' CDs.

double click on the .img/.dmg you should get an icon for a generic disk
(like a zip drive or USB flash drive) on your desktop.

open the disk icon (some will open them selves)

in many cases drag the application to your applications directory - wait
for the copy to complete your new application is now installed.

Some applications will have installers instead - double click the
install - follow instructions.

Dear All: Them pesky bugs. A few more squashed courtesy of the sleepy pixel. http://www.pixelglow.com/graphviz/ What's new in v11 ------------ Fixed some comprehensive help [NRi]. Fixed scale option placeholder [NRi]. Improved application and document icons. Example files now double-click to open in application. What's new in v12 ------------ Added layout option tooltips [NRi]. Fixed layout popup button changing wrong graph [MKe]. Clicking on warning icon now opens Activity window [NRi, AM]. Revert menu item now disabled. Cheers, Glen Low --- pixelglow software | simply brilliant stuff www.pixelglow.com ...

[ANN] Graphviz for Mac OS X 1.13 (v13) [ANN] Graphviz for Mac OS X 1.12 (v8) [ANN] Graphviz for Mac OS X 1.12 (v8)
Dear All, I've just released the newest version of Mac Graphviz, featuring shapefile support and enhanced zoom. http://www.pixelglow.com/graphviz/ Shapefiles supported include PDF, EPS, PS, JPEG, PNG and all Quicktime formats. Either specify an absolute or relative (to working directory) file path, or a URL using the shapefile attribute. Developers can now also use the graphviz.framework directly with #include headers in C e.g. using Xcode "Add Frameworks..."; documentation is available from the main Graphviz site -- http://www.research.att.com/sw/tools/graphviz/libguide.pdf Changes ------- Added drawer and zoom menu commands [DWa, NRi]. Added intelligent window zooming [NRi]. Added shapefile support. Added UTF-8 support [RSc]. Added cvtgxl, gvpack and gvpr tools [BSw]. Fixed page setup then close unexpectedly invoking save dialog [PRo]. HTML-like labels now work on 10.2 (use embedded expat instead of libxml2). Improved internal frameworks (added headers, consolidated dylibs). Tracked main build of 23 June. Graphviz is still free, but I'm now accepting donations for it. Enjoy! Cheers, Glen Low --- pixelglow software | simply brilliant stuff www.pixelglow.com ...

Hi all, Yet another Graphviz version. The old application icon had been voted off the island, and brand new application and document icons flown in for the task. Comprehensive help features in this version too. http://www.pixelglow.com/graphviz/ What's new: ------------ Added new application and document icons. Added comprehensive help. Fixed changes not affecting graph size displaying incorrectly [BTr]. Fixed export then close crashing the export of an open window. Improved shadowed frame for graph [NRi]. Improved status display [NRi]. Changed sources to pure BSD license. Cheers, Glen Low --- pixelglow software | simply brilliant stuff www.pixelglow.com ...

Mac OS X & Mac OS X Server
Hi, I'm currently using a 9i developer release on Mac OS X (10.3) which has proved very stable so far. My understanding of the various Oracle press releases is that 10G will be released for Mac OS X, are there any beta testers out there wiling to comment on availabilitu/quality/performance issues for 10G on Mac OS X? Another question is whether tools such as the OEM will be available in 10G for Mac OS X, does anybody know? Yours in anticipation! Steve Steve <steve@nospam.com> wrote in message news:<2004013008345616807%steve@nospamcom>... > releases is that 10G will be released for Mac OS X, are there any beta > testers out there wiling to comment on availabilitu/quality/performance > issues for 10G on Mac OS X? The PR suggests they've been clear that the OS X release will be production quality .. though since it won't be a "volume" platform, one may wonder about this in practise. > Another question is whether tools such as the OEM will be available in 10G > for Mac OS X, does anybody know? From what I've seen of screenshots, I believe OEM 10g is web-based JSP, so this seems likely. But just my inference, no real info. I use remote OEM from another box on my Powerbook for now (either XWindows or Windows Remote Desktop). SQL Plus otherwise.. Cheers Stu stuartc@mac.com (Stu Charlton) wrote in message news:<21398ab6.0402020845.4f2c5027@posting.google.com>... > Steve <steve@nospam.com> wrote...

Mac OS 9.x included in Mac OS X?
Hi, I read that Mac OS X has a so-called classic mode which emulates Mac OS 9.x so that older applications can still be run. Provided one is not an upgrader from Mac OS 9.x, does Mac OS X include Mac OS 9.x required for the classic mode or does it have to be bought separately? Peter >Provided one is not an upgrader from Mac OS 9.x, does Mac OS X include >Mac OS 9.x required for the classic mode or does it have to be bought >separately? If you buy the installer for OS X it *does not* include OS 9. You generally use the copy of OS 9 that came with your computer in order to install C...

Hi. Someone told me that Mac OS X 10.7.x and 10.8.x do not come with iLife like the older Mac OS X versions (e.g., 10.5.x). I did not know this! Since my client uses iPhoto that came preinstalled on his old 2008 MacBook Pro's Mac OS X 10.5.x (10.5.8 right now), can he use the old one from 10.5.8? Or will he need a third party replacement (needs to import/copy the old image files) or buy a new iPhoto version for his photo(graph)s? I recalled he did not like iPhoto and wonder if the new one is any better. Thank you in advance. :) -- Quote of the Week: "Every ruler sleeps on an anthill." --Afghani /\___/\ Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site) / /\ /\ \ Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net | |o o| | \ _ / Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail. If crediting, ( ) then please kindly use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link. On 2012-09-21 3:05 PM ANTant@zimage.com (Ant) wrote: > Hi. > > Someone told me that Mac OS X 10.7.x and 10.8.x do not come with iLife > like the older Mac OS X versions (e.g., 10.5.x). I did not know this! > Since my client uses iPhoto that came preinstalled on his old 2008 > MacBook Pro's Mac OS X 10.5.x (10.5.8 right now), can he use the old one > from 10.5.8? Or will he need a third party replacement (needs to > import/copy the old image files) or buy a new iPhoto version for his > photo(graph)s? I rec...

You cannot install Mac OS X on this volume. Mac OS X cannot start up from this volume.
Hi Group, Decided to reinstall OSX today on my MAC Book. _ Boy was this a mistake_ I booted off the DVD and changed the partition setup to two instead of one using the disk utility program. Selected MAC OSX Extended Journaled for both paritions. Now in the installer when I come to select the drive to install on I get the message "You cannot install Mac OS X on this volume. Mac OS X cannot start up from this volume." There is a red explaination mark on the drive. I have reboot, reformatted the drive back one parition using the disk util program and I still have the same proble...

Mac OS X Kerberos Extras updated for Mac OS X 10.3

Mac OS X 1.0 x86 and Mac OS X 10.4 x86
I wonder of OS X on Intel runs binaries made for Mac OS X Server 1.0 or earlier x86 versions of NEXTSTEP... There should be some interesting error messages to find. I'll try it out with OmniWeb 3 one day... -- Andrew J. Brehm Marx Brothers Fan PowerPC/Macintosh User Supporter of Chicken Sandwiches In article <1gxrpng.qcld42zk38uoN%ajbrehm@gmail.com>, ajbrehm@gmail.com (Andrew J. Brehm) wrote: > I wonder of OS X on Intel runs binaries made for Mac OS X Server 1.0 or > earlier x86 versions of NEXTSTEP... > > There should be some interesting error messages to find. > > I'll try it out with OmniWeb 3 one day... I *really* doubt it. 10.0 PPC doesn't run OS X Server 1.0 PPC binaries, does it? -- "This notion that the United States is getting ready to attack Iran is simply ridiculous. And having said that, all options are on the table." -- George W. Bush in Brussels, Belgium, Feb. 22, 2005 ZnU <znu@fake.invalid> wrote: > In article <1gxrpng.qcld42zk38uoN%ajbrehm@gmail.com>, > ajbrehm@gmail.com (Andrew J. Brehm) wrote: > > > I wonder of OS X on Intel runs binaries made for Mac OS X Server 1.0 or > > earlier x86 versions of NEXTSTEP... > > > > There should be some interesting error messages to find. > > > > I'll try it out with OmniWeb 3 one day... > > I *really* doubt it. 10.0 PPC doesn't run OS X Server 1.0 PPC binaries, > does it? I think i...

Install OS X from OS 9.2 and OS X .dmg files
Hi, I have : * the 3 disk images .dmg "Mac OS X 10.3 Panther final install disk 1", 2 and 3 retrieved from the 'chocolate' network (Gnutella), * an iMac with Mac OS 9.2, * a CD-RW drive with HotBurn (Iomega). What would you suggest me to do now to boot my iMac with Panther? Which pieces of the puzzle do I miss? TIA Fr�d�ric tomcat <noone@nodomain.int> wrote: > What would you suggest me to do now to boot my iMac with Panther? Buy the CDs. > Which pieces of the puzzle do I miss? Integrity. -- Mike Rosenberg <http://www.macconsult.co...

Is a new Mac Mini supposed supposed to come with a Mac OS X disc/USB drive?
Hello. I just got a new Mac Mini at work today. I noticed something from its small box. Is it supposed to come with a Mac OS X 10.7.x install disc/USB flash drive or something in case I ever need to reinstall, fix, etc.? I only got these items: 1. Mac Mini 2. DVI to HDMI adapter 3. Power adapter 4. White Apple stickers 5. A manual (didn't see any disc and USB flash drive in it?) If I am missing it, then I hope I don't have to return since I already set it up, installed a bunch of software, copy my data, etc. Thank you in advance. :) -- "Cheerios: Hula-...

how many people are buying a new Mac when Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard comes out?
how many people are buying a new Mac when Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard comes out? I have been wanting to buy a new Mac... but the Leopard is not coming out yet and it feels dumb to buy a OS X 10.4 machine that can obsolete in a couple of weeks. Summercool wrote: > how many people are buying a new Mac when Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard comes > out? > > I have been wanting to buy a new Mac... but the Leopard is not coming > out yet and it feels dumb to buy a OS X 10.4 machine that can obsolete > in a couple of weeks. Any computer you buy today might be obsolete tomorrow, that's just ...

File too large when copying 5GB file from a NetBSD machine to a Mac OS X machine over NFS?
I was just copying a large tar file to my Mac. The file resided on a NetBSD 1.6.2 machine, mounted on the Mac with NFS, I performed the copying using cp, and the destination was a UFS file system. Apparantly, it stopped with a "File too large" error when it reached 4GB. I find difficult to believe that there is a 4GB limit on Mac UFS filesystems, so what caused the error? A bug in Mac OS /bin/cp? I had no problem copying the file to another machine, running NetBSD 2.0. -- Lasse Hiller�e Petersen | "I met someone who looks a lot like you, ----------------------------+...

Is a new Mac Mini supposed supposed to come with a Mac OS X disc/USB drive?
Hello. I just got a new Mac Mini at work today. I noticed something from its small box. Is it supposed to come with a Mac OS X 10.7.x install disc/USB flash drive or something in case I ever need to reinstall, fix, etc.? I only got these items: 1. Mac Mini 2. DVI to HDMI adapter 3. Power adapter 4. White Apple stickers 5. A manual (didn't see any disc and USB flash drive in it?) If I am missing it, then I hope I don't have to return since I already set it up, installed a bunch of software, copy my data, etc. Thank you in advance. :) -- "Cheerios: Hula-...

RE: Mac file dialog extensions [2.8.1, Mac OS-X, xCode 2.4.1]
OK, I will fix this, and send a patch. > -----Original Message----- > From: Vadim Zeitlin [mailto:vadim@wxwindows.org] > Sent: Sunday, March 04, 2007 11:38 PM > To: wx-users@lists.wxwidgets.org > Subject: Re: Mac file dialog extensions [2.8.1, Mac OS-X, xCode 2.4.1] >=20 > On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 18:11:23 +0200 Yaron Tadmor <YaronT@HumanEyes.com> > wrote: >=20 > YT> Looking at the code in Mac/Carbon/FileDlg.cpp, at NavEventProc, in > YT> response to the kNavCBPopupMenuSelect event, I noticed that the code > YT> takes the LAST extens...

[Palm T3
Using a Palm Tungsten T3 and a Mac with OS X.4.2 Sync with the Palm Desktop is ok, with DocumentsToGo is mostly ok but there is one file that always comes back although I tried to delete it : - removed it from the sync list of DocumentsToGo - deleted all instances of this file and files with similar names on the Mac (found it at least at 3 places) - deleted it on the Palm Each time I synchronize (even after deleting all possible files on both sides), this file reappears on the Palm and possibly also on the Mac with an incremental number appended (eg. myfile_1.xls). There must be a hidden...

IN your opinion what is the best way to share files between LInux and IN your opinion what is the best way to share files between LInux and MAC OS X?
IN your opinion what is the best way to share files between LInux and MAC OS X? I set up SAMBA on the LInux machine and the MAC (running the very latest OSX) can copy files to the SAMBA share at lightning speeds. When I try and copy files from the LInux machine to the Mac they take an eternity. So slow in fact I have to kill the process . I would appreciate any thoughts on why that maybe and also if there is a better way to share files (I guess HTTP-FTP would be the most sensible option ). navti wrote: > IN your opinion what is the best way to share files between LInux and > MAC O...

54g Wireless
Hi there, I have two apple laptops coming into our work network - one is an oldish IBook with an original Airport card which supports 64bit WEP and the other is a brand new IBook with 128bit WEP security. Our wireless network router is a belkin but only allows us to set 64 bit OR 128 bit - is there anyway of allowing either of these computers onto the network whilst securing it? Thanks Wesley Blue Wezza <blue-wezza@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote: > I have two apple laptops coming into our work network - one is an oldish > IBook with an original Airport card which supports 64bit W...

Copy files to OS X Mac?
I'm moving some files/documents from my OS 8.6 Mac to my OS X 10.3.5 Mac. Two questions if someone has time: 1. If I sign in to my OS 8.6 Mac as owner and copy the files the ownership is "correct" and I have full permissions. If I sign in as a user and copy the files then it they are read only and then I do a Get Info and change to full permissions. Is one approach better than the other? 2. I copied over my MT-Newswatcher Groups. When I was changing some preference settings, the dialog box kept appearing where I had to enter my password to connect to a Server (my OS 8.6...

Creating a Bootable Mac OS 9 CD in Mac OS X
I have a bootable Mac OS 9 CD for an old Power Mac. I need to duplicate the System Folder with a few extra extensions and create a bootable CD for emergency reboot on the old computer. My new iMac does not run Classic. I copied the "System Folder" from the Mac OS 9 CD to the new iMac and burned a CD-R. The old Power Mac does not boot from the CD-R when I restart it holding down "C". My investigation revealed that the System Folder in a bootable CD-R must be "blessed" by turning on a boot bit or something. When I copied the System Folder to the iMac, it became unblessed. How can I turn on the boot bit on the iMac running only Mac OS X and no Classic? TIA. In article <ndurant-DD1E1D.23280828022004@news.videotron.net>, Nathalie Durant <ndurant@potentium.ca> wrote: > I have a bootable Mac OS 9 CD for an old Power Mac. I need to duplicate > the System Folder with a few extra extensions and create a bootable CD > for emergency reboot on the old computer. > > My new iMac does not run Classic. I copied the "System Folder" from the > Mac OS 9 CD to the new iMac and burned a CD-R. The old Power Mac does > not boot from the CD-R when I restart it holding down "C". > > My investigation revealed that the System Folder in a bootable CD-R must > be "blessed" by turning on a boot bit or something. When I copied the > System Folder to the iMac, it became unblessed. How...

Question on Shared Files & Folders OS X -from OS X newbie
Hi Group, I hope i am in the correct newsgroup for this question. I am a long time windows power user that has switched to OS X. I still use my 3 XP boxs on my network. In windows I am able to share individual folders and have full control over read write functions. I am trying to achieve this in OS X. When I enable Windows File Sharing in the OS X system properties it shares my entire Home directory. I dont want that, i want to share individual folders. Could someone please point me in the right direction on how i can accomplish this? I.E., advice, website, book, etc. I thank you for your help in advance. -testafoto In article <3b3902ea.0309270644.7f1b553f@posting.google.com>, testafoto@hotmail.com (testafoto) wrote: :> Hi Group, I hope i am in the correct newsgroup for this question. I am :> a long time windows power user that has switched to OS X. I still use :> my 3 XP boxs on my network. In windows I am able to share individual :> folders and have full control over read write functions. I am trying :> to achieve this in OS X. When I enable Windows File Sharing in the OS :> X system properties it shares my entire Home directory. I dont want :> that, i want to share individual folders. Could someone please point :> me in the right direction on how i can accomplish this? I.E., advice, :> website, book, etc. I thank you for your help in advance. :> :> -testafoto OS X is more Unix-like in that regard. But there's a program ava...

Fortran for new and old Macs on OS X
Do we really need to buy two products to port to both OSX G5 and OSX Intel ? Seems expensive if we use ABSOFT James E. Klein jameseklein@earthlink.net Engineering Calculations http://www.ecalculations.com ecalculations@ecalculations.com Engineering Calculations is the home of the KDP-2 Optical Design Program for Windows and (soon) MAC OSX Free KDP-2 (DEMO) downloadable! 1-818-507-5706 (Voice and Fax) Jim Klein <jameseklein@earthlink.net> wrote: > Do we really need to buy two products to port to both OSX G5 and OSX > Intel ? > Seems expensive if we use ABSOFT I suppose it...

New Mac OS X Virus Hits!
It seems we know who the virus spreader is now. It uses a great bit of social engineering to get the poor dummies to install the software on their system. http://www.crn.com/sections/breakingnews/breakingnews.jhtml?articleId=185300625&cid=CRNBreakingNews orhttp://tinyurl.com/oxkrl And that's not all! Apparently there is a movement a brewing againstsaid virus.http://www.newsfactor.com/story.xhtml?story_id=42726 Oh brother. This is just too fucking funny for words. LOL! Didn't I tellyou guys that viruses would soon be on Macs and that people would installthem willingly without the knowledge they were infecting their systems.John John Slade wrote: > It seems we know who the virus spreader is now. It uses a great bit of > social engineering to get the poor dummies to install the software on their > system. > > http://www.crn.com/sections/breakingnews/breakingnews.jhtml?articleId=185300625&cid=CRNBreakingNews orhttp://tinyurl.com/oxkrl And that's not all! Apparently there is a movement a brewing againstsaid virus.http://www.newsfactor.com/story.xhtml?story_id=42726 Oh brother. This is just too fucking funny for words. LOL! Didn't I tellyou guys that viruses would soon be on Macs and that people would installthem willingly without the knowledge they were infecting their systems.John Oh my God!!!! Someone had troube with BETA software. Stop the fucking presses. Call out ALL the retarded trolls. In article <vix%...

New Treo 650 and Mac OS X
Help! I use Mac OS X 3.9. I used to have a Kyocera 7135 (Palm OS 4.1) before the screen cracked. I am now the owner of Treo 650. I also use the Missing Synch. My guess is Treo owners have learned, hopefully not the hard way, tricks to minimize the pain of first time synching. Any tips before I repeat everything, would be helpful. Harlan -- To respond, obviously drop the "nospan"? It is alleged that Harlan Lachman claimed: > I use Mac OS X 3.9. I used to have a Kyocera 7135 (Palm OS 4.1) before > the screen cracked. I am now the owner of Treo 650. I...

Web resources about - New to OS X-confused about downloaded .img files - comp.sys.mac