Left, right, and OS2 games

Almost all the free OS2/OS3 games I've downloaded for my OS5 palmOne
T|E refuse to respond to the left/right directional, although the
up/down and the button work fine.  Games that rely on the stylus work
fine.

Is this a common problem?
0
DarrylJ
9/15/2004 12:34:54 AM
comp.sys.palmtops.pilot 10856 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

On 14 Sep 2004 17:34:54 -0700, Darryl wrote:

> Almost all the free OS2/OS3 games I've downloaded for my OS5 palmOne
> T|E refuse to respond to the left/right directional, although the
> up/down and the button work fine.  Games that rely on the stylus work
> fine.
>
> Is this a common problem?

You're expecting old software to take advantage of all the new hardware on
your T|E.

OS2 and OS3 handhelds don't have the 5-way navigation button. They have the
4 application buttons, as well as buttons for up and down. It's not that
the games refuse to respond. It's that the games were never written to
utilize the 5-way navigation button to begin with.

--
Derek

When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by
doubling your efforts, there's no end to what you can't do.
0
Derek
9/15/2004 1:00:17 AM
On 14 Sep 2004 17:34:54 -0700, DarrylJ@yahoo.com (Darryl) was
understood to have stated the following:

>Almost all the free OS2/OS3 games I've downloaded for my OS5 palmOne
>T|E refuse to respond to the left/right directional, although the
>up/down and the button work fine.  Games that rely on the stylus work
>fine.

As Derek wrote, the dpad wasn't available on OS2/3 machines. Try
checking the application buttons on the games that support buttons.
Most of the time the contacts and the tasks buttons work as left and
right. Kinda sucks, too, as OS2/3 button layout was favorable for some
video games like Asteroids.

0
David
9/15/2004 6:49:22 AM
On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 02:49:22 -0400, David W. Poole, Jr. wrote:

> On 14 Sep 2004 17:34:54 -0700, DarrylJ@yahoo.com (Darryl) was
> understood to have stated the following:
>
>>Almost all the free OS2/OS3 games I've downloaded for my OS5 palmOne
>>T|E refuse to respond to the left/right directional, although the
>>up/down and the button work fine.  Games that rely on the stylus work
>>fine.
>
> As Derek wrote, the dpad wasn't available on OS2/3 machines. Try
> checking the application buttons on the games that support buttons.
> Most of the time the contacts and the tasks buttons work as left and
> right. Kinda sucks, too, as OS2/3 button layout was favorable for some
> video games like Asteroids.

Not only that, I think the buttons themselves were physically more
conducive to those types of games. The ones on the T|E just don't feel
right to me (admittedly having only handled one in a store) for playing
games.

Then, of course, there's the T3 which totally screws you up. ;)
--
Derek

"Marriage isn't supposed to make you happy -
it's supposed to make you married." -- Frank Pittman
0
Derek
9/15/2004 1:20:01 PM
On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 08:20:01 -0500, Derek <news@gwinn.us> was
understood to have stated the following:

>Not only that, I think the buttons themselves were physically more
>conducive to those types of games. The ones on the T|E just don't feel
>right to me (admittedly having only handled one in a store) for playing
>games.
>
>Then, of course, there's the T3 which totally screws you up. ;)

As a T|3 owner, I can agree with that. :-) I just looked at a T|E,
which I assumed had a layout like the T|3. The E folks don't have it
nearly as bad as the 3 folks. :-/

0
David
9/15/2004 5:14:27 PM
Darryl  wrote:

> Almost all the free OS2/OS3 games I've downloaded for my OS5 palmOne
> T|E refuse to respond to the left/right directional, although the
> up/down and the button work fine.  Games that rely on the stylus work
> fine.
>
> Is this a common problem?

PalmOS PDAs didn't have left/right controls in the OS2/3 days, they only
had up and down buttons. So it shouldn't be a surprise that they won't work
with the TE's d-pad. Typically, games of that era would use two of the
hardware buttons (usually the Datebook and ToDo List buttons) for
left/right motion. These buttons should also work on the Tungsten E as
well. Check your game's help or preferences screen; they usually show the
game's preferred button layout.
--
Wonderfalls unaired episode quote of the day:

"We're all fate's bitch. You might as well bend over for destiny now."
    � Jaye in "Caged Bird"

Roberto Castillo
robertocastillo@ameritech.net

0