Palm can't find com port to synch. I can't either.

Hi. I just got a palm IIIxe. It has a serial connection. When I try to
synch, it can't find the computer, and it gave an error message about
the com port being busy or not available. I opened the hotsynch on the
laptop, and it only showed com 3   Com 1 seemed missing.

Is there a way to see what com 1 is being used for? And are com ports
numbered 1 and 3?

Thanks
Jim

0
wizzywiz
7/25/2006 1:49:52 AM
comp.sys.palmtops.pilot 10856 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

I wish you luck in getting this "ancient" palm device to work with XP's
interpretation of Com ports.  Yes there is com 1, 2, 3, 4, etc.

You may want to search Microsoft's web site for information and also Palm
computing's web site.  Here is a starter for help.  (Watch URL wrap)

http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=PalmSupportKB,ts=Palm_External2001,Case=obj(3257)

"wizzywiz" <jimkk@umich.edu> wrote in message
> Hi. I just got a palm IIIxe. It has a serial connection. When I try to
> synch, it can't find the computer, and it gave an error message about
> the com port being busy or not available. I opened the hotsynch on the
> laptop, and it only showed com 3   Com 1 seemed missing.
>
> Is there a way to see what com 1 is being used for? And are com ports
> numbered 1 and 3?
>
> Thanks
> Jim

0
LVTravel
7/25/2006 2:54:25 AM
wizzywiz wrote:
> Hi. I just got a palm IIIxe. It has a serial connection. When I try to
> synch, it can't find the computer, and it gave an error message about
> the com port being busy or not available. I opened the hotsynch on the
> laptop, and it only showed com 3   Com 1 seemed missing.
>
> Is there a way to see what com 1 is being used for? And are com ports
> numbered 1 and 3?

Com1 and Com2 are the usual RS232 ports. Com3 and up are usually USB
potrs on newer machines.

You may have more luck using infra-red to sync. I use that and it works
fine on my XP laptop with my Palm IIIx (still going strong after almost
7 years)

0
pyruse