28 DOS fallacies. DOS palmtop vs. Win CE/PPC palmtops

http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~ak621/DOS/DOS-Fal.html

I would have to agree with many of these.  But I think DOS should always
be used in conjunction with Windows instead of replacing it.  But then
again this depends on the scanario.

As for me how much I wish I would have known about the HP 200LX DOS
palmtop PC (http://www.daniel-hertrich.de/200lx/) before I went Windows
CE.

Some CE screenshots

http://johnw.freeshell.org/graphics/HPCbackground.BMP
http://johnw.freeshell.org/graphics/hpc/pine.jpg
http://johnw.freeshell.org/graphics/hpc/

Having tested a HP 200LX I can vouch that this machine is really much
better than the Jornada 720 for many uses.  The Jornada 720 is really a
nice little subnotebook that eats batteries faster than a SUV eats gas,
cant be viewed in bright sunlight, and is a big bulky monster.

Dont get me wrong Win CE palmtops and PocketPC's do have many extra
advantages over a DOS machine.  But perhaps these extras are better off
being utilized on a laptop or full size desktop.

The 200LX does kick butt and if you ever get a chance to try one, you
wont disagree.

They still continue to sell higher than many PocketPC and HPC models.

John
--
Heb. 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and
sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing

johnw_94020 (381)
1/29/2006 8:05:20 PM
comp.sys.palmtops 4109 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

"John the Baptist Jr." <johnw_94020@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~ak621/DOS/DOS-Fal.html
>
> I would have to agree with many of these.  But I think DOS should always
> be used in conjunction with Windows instead of replacing it.  But then
> again this depends on the scanario.

I'm sure there were people that didn't want to give up the horse and buggy
either.

Here in alt.msdos,
"Chance Hopkins" <chance_hopkins@hotmail.com> spake unto us, saying:

>"John the Baptist Jr." <johnw_94020@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>> http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~ak621/DOS/DOS-Fal.html
>>
>> I would have to agree with many of these.  But I think DOS should always
>> be used in conjunction with Windows instead of replacing it.  But then
>> again this depends on the scanario.
>
>I'm sure there were people that didn't want to give up the horse and buggy
>either.

One of the reasons they still run their DOS programs in conjuction with
a primitive platform like Windows instead of OS/2 or Linux.  :-)

                   The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.
0
rsteiner (797)
1/29/2006 10:32:57 PM
"John the Baptist Jr." <johnw_94020@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~ak621/DOS/DOS-Fal.html

> Dont get me wrong Win CE palmtops and PocketPC's do have many extra
> advantages over a DOS machine.  But perhaps these extras are better off
> being utilized on a laptop or full size desktop.

Multitasking not withstanding?  Do you even use your stylus?

How about chucking the Pocket PCs and we all buy a MC10?

I think that Operating systems are becoming too close to the applications,
granted, but you have to be the poster child of change resistance.

Now I have to go - I am trying to figure out yet another use for interrupt
21...  ;)

(BTW, was the crossposting really needed? Remember that quite a few people
connect directly to the Microsoft server, which does not support the comp
and alt groups.  Hence orphaned conversations...)

>> Dont get me wrong Win CE palmtops and PocketPC's do have many extra
>> advantages over a DOS machine.  But perhaps these extras are better off
>> being utilized on a laptop or full size desktop.

I have the best of both worlds.  I use PocketDOS which runs almost all DOS
apps on a WinCE or PocketPC
machine.

www.pocketdos.com

Tom Lake

0
tlake (477)
1/30/2006 4:52:50 PM
John the Baptist Jr. wrote:
> http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~ak621/DOS/DOS-Fal.html

> I would have to agree with many of these.  But I think DOS should always
> be used in conjunction with Windows instead of replacing it.
>
> John

***   I tried that in the 1990s, but eventually came to realise that
Windows was too unstable and interfered too much with my DOS work. That
didn't count the fact that the Windows overhead was much higher to get
the same job done and that it ran much slower to get the same job done.
I realised that Windows simply wasn't necessary and dumped it.

         Richard Bonner
http://www.chebucto.ca/~ak621/DOS/
0
ak621 (417)
2/2/2006 1:55:24 PM
Chance Hopkins wrote:

> "John the Baptist Jr." <johnw_94020@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~ak621/DOS/DOS-Fal.html
> >
> > I would have to agree with many of these.  But I think DOS should always
> > be used in conjunction with Windows instead of replacing it.

> I'm sure there were people that didn't want to give up the horse and buggy
> either.

***   This is true, but fortunately I was one of those that was able to
give up that hoarse & bugger of an operating system called "Windows".  (-:

         Richard Bonner
http://www.chebucto.ca/~ak621/DOS/
0
ak621 (417)
2/2/2006 1:58:49 PM
Richard Steiner wrote:
> Here in alt.msdos,
> "Chance Hopkins" <chance_hopkins@hotmail.com> spake unto us, saying:
> >I'm sure there were people that didn't want to give up the horse and buggy
> >either.

> One of the reasons they still run their DOS programs in conjuction with
> a primitive platform like Windows instead of OS/2 or Linux.  :-)
> --
>  -Rich Steiner

***   I have an OS/2 buddy. He swears by that system. His only complaint
seems to be that not enough software is written for it.

         Richard Bonner
http://www.chebucto.ca/~ak621/DOS/
0
ak621 (417)
2/2/2006 2:00:53 PM
"Richard Bonner" <ak621@chebucto.ns.ca> wrote in message
> John the Baptist Jr. wrote:
>> http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~ak621/DOS/DOS-Fal.html
>
>> I would have to agree with many of these.  But I think DOS should always
>> be used in conjunction with Windows instead of replacing it.
>>
>> John
>
> ***   I tried that in the 1990s, but eventually came to realise that
> Windows was too unstable and interfered too much with my DOS work. That
> didn't count the fact that the Windows overhead was much higher to get
> the same job done and that it ran much slower to get the same job done.
> I realised that Windows simply wasn't necessary and dumped it.

I feel this pretty much sums up the entire linux fallacy, "I tried that in
the 1990s". We aren't in the 90's. I hear this sort of thing again and
again. People need to stop comparing linux to windows 95. I run linux
(puppy), xp pro, a mac, ppc and a 2003 server. I've never really seen much
of anything that I can do with one that I can't do with another.

Here in alt.msdos, ak621@chebucto.ns.ca (Richard Bonner) spake unto us, saying:

>***   I have an OS/2 buddy. He swears by that system. His only complaint
>seems to be that not enough software is written for it.

It's lacking in some areas, not in others.  Without its good DOS and
Windows 16-bit support, though, it would probably not be viable for me.

As it is, though, it keeps my interest in DOS programs alive!  :-)

                   The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.
0
rsteiner (797)
2/3/2006 4:04:59 AM
Here in alt.msdos,
"Chance Hopkins" <chance_hopkins@hotmail.com> spake unto us, saying:

>I feel this pretty much sums up the entire linux fallacy, "I tried that in
>the 1990s". We aren't in the 90's. I hear this sort of thing again and
>again. People need to stop comparing linux to windows 95. I run linux
>(puppy), xp pro, a mac, ppc and a 2003 server. I've never really seen much
>of anything that I can do with one that I can't do with another.

Linux can be very nice if you have a need for one of the customized
variants that folks are creating (LiveCDs, firewall/routers, etc.).

It's also (legally) inexpensive.  :-)

I could see using Windows XP here at home, for example, but the cost of
licenses for 8-10 machines is prohibitive.  Linux, on the other hand,
is well within my budget.

                   The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.
0
rsteiner (797)
2/3/2006 4:06:19 AM
Its odd, isn't it.....

Linux takes effort to install and configure. You have to understand all the
different varieties and how the different apps fit together. But once that
has been done, you can implement it for free on many more desktops.

While Windows, you get a CD and put it in and thats it. But you have to buy
a new license for each machine you put it on.

So, why is it that Linux tends to be run on the 1's and 2's desktop numbers,
while Windows gets run on the 100's and 1000's??

Well it seems a little odd to me. . . . there must be more too it
somewhere??

Like support and security and stability and application availability and
ease of use and ease of training and compatibility and

On Fri 03 Feb 2006 01:29:10a, "Chris Jordan" <JordanChris@mail.com>,
wrote:

> Its odd, isn't it.....
>
> Linux takes effort to install and configure. You have to understand
> all the different varieties and how the different apps fit together.
> But once that has been done, you can implement it for free on many
> more desktops.
>
> While Windows, you get a CD and put it in and thats it. But you have
> to buy a new license for each machine you put it on.
>
> So, why is it that Linux tends to be run on the 1's and 2's desktop
> numbers, while Windows gets run on the 100's and 1000's??
>
> Well it seems a little odd to me. . . . there must be more too it
> somewhere??
>

> Like support and security and stability and application availability
> and ease of use and ease of training and compatibility and

And the fact that Windows is pre-installed on just about every computer
you can buy might have just a *little* to do with it, don't you think?
M$ learned to freeze others out with OEM tie-ins a *long* time ago. But
it's changing and we'll see how it all plays out in the next five years
or so.

--
RonB
"There's a story there...somewhere"
> Its odd, isn't it.....
>
> Linux takes effort to install and configure. You have to understand all the
> different varieties and how the different apps fit together. But once that
> has been done, you can implement it for free on many more desktops.
>
> While Windows, you get a CD and put it in and thats it. But you have to buy
> a new license for each machine you put it on.

Actually, that's grossly unfair.  Installing Windows, these days,
tends to be greatly more complex and error-prone than installing
Linux.

> So, why is it that Linux tends to be run on the 1's and 2's desktop numbers,
> while Windows gets run on the 100's and 1000's??
>
> Well it seems a little odd to me. . . . there must be more too it
> somewhere??

There's the consideration that people don't "put in the CD" and
install Windows, because PC vendors do it once, in-house, and then
make duplicate disk images for each PC they sell, so that users have
no idea whether it is easy or difficult to install Windows...
--
(format nil "~S@~S" "cbbrowne" "gmail.com")
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/spreadsheets.html
Chance Hopkins wrote:

> "Richard Bonner" <ak621@chebucto.ns.ca> wrote:
> > John the Baptist Jr. wrote:
> >> http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~ak621/DOS/DOS-Fal.html
> >
> >> I would have to agree with many of these.  But I think DOS should always
> >> be used in conjunction with Windows instead of replacing it.
> >>
> >> John
> >
> > ***   I tried that in the 1990s, but eventually came to realise that
> > Windows was too unstable and interfered too much with my DOS work. That
> > didn't count the fact that the Windows overhead was much higher to get
> > the same job done and that it ran much slower to get the same job done.
> > I realised that Windows simply wasn't necessary and dumped it.

> I feel this pretty much sums up the entire linux fallacy, "I tried that in
> the 1990s". We aren't in the 90's. I hear this sort of thing again and
> again. People need to stop comparing linux to windows 95.

***   Twice burned...

   To bring this up to date (Vista aside), I see people running XP with
the same, although fewer, sorts of problems. Again though, we still have
all that overhead, and the constant upgrades, virus problems and
difficulties running DOS programs.

> I run linux
> (puppy), xp pro, a mac, ppc and a 2003 server. I've never really seen much
> of anything that I can do with one that I can't do with another.

***   I agree. I have Linux, too, but only run it for post-2003 .pdf and
MS-WORD files. I cannot seem to get the same advantages with it as I have
with DOS. In particular, I want more command-line access to programs
without all the GUI overhead. Some Linux programs are written this way,
but too many follow the "oh, everyone wants to use a mouse" attitude of
software authoring.  )-:

   Now to be fair, I don't yet know all there is to know about the Linux
command line. In fact, I would be pleased if someone might point me to a
Linux command-line tutorial. None of the Linux books I have seen say much,
if anything, about the command line.

         Richard Bonner
http://www.chebucto.ca/~ak621/DOS/
0
ak621 (417)
2/3/2006 2:30:06 PM
Chris Jordan wrote:
> Its odd, isn't it.....

> Linux takes effort to install and configure. You have to understand all the
> different varieties and how the different apps fit together. But once that
> has been done, you can implement it for free on many more desktops.

> While Windows, you get a CD and put it in and thats it. But you have to buy
> a new license for each machine you put it on.

> So, why is it that Linux tends to be run on the 1's and 2's desktop numbers,
> while Windows gets run on the 100's and 1000's??

***   Marketing is part of it. However, this is changing as more & more
businesses and government offices switch to Linux. The most recent
converts: the Danish school system and the state of Massachusetts. (I
don't know if the latter has implemented the change yet, though.)

> Well it seems a little odd to me. . . . there must be more too it
> somewhere??

> Like support and security and stability and application availability and
> ease of use and ease of training and compatibility and...

***   Linux support is available via Sun Microsystems, for one. More will
come as Linux makes further inroads. Windows support was once at this
level, too.

         Richard Bonner
http://www.chebucto.ca/~ak621/DOS/
0
ak621 (417)
2/3/2006 2:37:21 PM
Here in alt.msdos, "Chris Jordan" <JordanChris@mail.com>
spake unto us, saying:

>"Richard Steiner" <rsteiner@visi.com> wrote
>
>> Linux can be very nice if you have a need for one of the customized
>> variants that folks are creating (LiveCDs, firewall/routers, etc.).
>>
>> It's also (legally) inexpensive.  :-)
>
>Its odd, isn't it.....

Not really.

>Linux takes effort to install and configure.

A LiveCD like DSL (Damn Small Linux), Knoppix, or Ubuntu requires no
installation at all by definition, although some provide that option,
some allow for the installing of additional packages to RAMdisk from
external servers, etc.

Even qemu-driven distros like DSL (Damn Small Linux, which has a qemu-
driven version called "embedded" which unzips and then runs in a virtual
machine under Windows from a single .bat file) has almost no install
requirements.

The firewall version of Linux I use (BrazilFW, formerly Coyote Linux)
has a Windows wizard which asks you questions and then creates a disk
for you containing the preconfigured OS.

No, not much effort.  Some knowledge for configuration if things like
dhcp don't work initially, but in my experience that's rare.

>You have to understand all the different varieties and how the different
>apps fit together.

No you don't.  You just have to learn (probably by asking someone or by
reading information on web sites and magazines) about the one variant
that might do something you want.

The other ones are there for future reference, yes, and in time it may
be nice to compare what you know against a few others which you don't
know yet, but you don't have to learn anything about them at all in
order to use the first one.  Just learn that one.  Keep it simple.

>But once that has been done, you can implement it for free on many
>more desktops.

Usually true.  Or servers.

>While Windows, you get a CD and put it in and thats it. But you have
>to buy a new license for each machine you put it on.

Correct.  For businesses that can write off the expense, it isn't a big
deal, but for hobbyists like me who have multi-machine LANs the cost is
a much larger issue.

>So, why is it that Linux tends to be run on the 1's and 2's desktop
>numbers, while Windows gets run on the 100's and 1000's??

Preloads.
Lack of knowledge.
Inertia.
Perceived (and sometimes actual) lack of software.
Fear of the unknown.
Misinformation.

Those are all factors.  You seem to contribute to the latter, BTW, which
is a shame.  I expect education from the experienced, not obfuscation.

>Well it seems a little odd to me. . . . there must be more too it
>somewhere??
>
>Like support and security and stability and application availability and
>ease of use and ease of training and compatibility and

I would say (based on over a decade of experience with each) that Linux
is at least on par with Windows as far as available support, security,
stability, and ease of use/training is concerned.

Application availability is an issue for Linux in some cases.  For
many, though, workarounds like Wine or alternatives are available.

Compatibility?  Depends on what you're talking about.  I can even run
some modern Windows software on my ancient OS/2 box via Odin, and I've
heard that Wine is better (I've not had to spend much time with Wine
for server matters, since I use Linux mainly for file serving here).

                   The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.
0
rsteiner (797)
2/6/2006 5:12:56 AM
Here in alt.msdos, ak621@chebucto.ns.ca (Richard Bonner)
spake unto us, saying:

>***   Linux support is available via Sun Microsystems, for one.

IBM also supports Linux heavily, both in terms of support programs for
businesses, and in terms of code for various open source projects up to
and including the Linux kernel.

                   The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.
0
rsteiner (797)
2/6/2006 5:15:34 AM
["Followup-To:" header set to comp.sys.palmtops.]
On Fri, 3 Feb 2006 14:30:06 +0000 (UTC),
  Richard Bonner <ak621@chebucto.ns.ca> wrote:

>     ...I would be pleased if someone might point me to a Linux
> command-line tutorial. None of the Linux books I have seen say
> much, if anything, about the command line.

Many of the books on Linux assume a GUI interface, but the system
administration books for Unix and Linux with Evi Nemith as first
author are written entirely from a command line persepctive.  On
top of that, they're very well done, and a pleasure to read.

--
Theodore (Ted) Heise     <theo@heise.nu>     Bloomington, IN, USA
0
  Theodore Heise <theo@heise.nu> wrote:
> ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.sys.palmtops.]
> On Fri, 3 Feb 2006 14:30:06 +0000 (UTC),
>   Richard Bonner <ak621@chebucto.ns.ca> wrote:
>
>>     ...I would be pleased if someone might point me to a Linux
>> command-line tutorial. None of the Linux books I have seen say
>> much, if anything, about the command line.
>
> Many of the books on Linux assume a GUI interface, but the system
> administration books for Unix and Linux with Evi Nemith as first
> author are written entirely from a command line persepctive.  On
> top of that, they're very well done, and a pleasure to read.

Sorry, that spelling is Nemeth.

--
Theodore (Ted) Heise     <theo@heise.nu>     Bloomington, IN, USA
0
theo4059 (24)

Looking for old DOS based palmtops
If you have any for sale then you can reach me on the tankraider.com forums, just post there. ...

Should I sell my J720 and move to a PocketPC or DOS Palmtop?
I keep thinking about doing this. The HPC world is DEAD, as their is virtually no new software being developed, and virtually NO SUPPORT. The HPLX DOS machines will last longer and hold their value longer, because they run a more universal OS, and seem to still hold value for certain industries. Aviation, data collection, and trains would be just a few that still use the HP DOS machines. I've thought about selling and moving to the HP 200LX DOS 5.x machine several times. If I did sell and move to a PocketPC what would you recommend? I may have asked this question before, but realize that the market changes daily, and I post daily, so it would be hard to recall any posts. I've thought about the Dell PocketPC's. Another major drag about doing this, is that I would lose all my software, and not every file may convert. PocketPC users can your systems read .pwd doc files? HPC stores its Word files in this format. How about .pxl? It will be a tough decision deciding if I will sell my Jornada 720, and if I did to move to a Pocket PC or DOS HP 200LX. The advantage of the DOS machine is it lasts months on AA batteries, but the disadvantage is that it cannot sync, but will act as an entirely different PC running old DOS. I did take basic and advanced DOS years ago, so it may come in handy. But then again it was under DOS 6.22, and the 200LX runs DOS 5.x. The DOS machine also cannot use wifi or a web browser, so it may act more as a cute l...

TO Jason Donahue:Re: Should I sell my J720 and move to a PocketPC or DOS Palmtop?
In article <uFDG2HDvFHA.252@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, > >> > >> >PocketPC users can your systems read .pwd doc files? HPC stores its > >> >Word files in this format. How about .pxl? > > Yes, it can - I routinely transfer documents in .pxl and .pwd format between > my HPC/HPC Pro devices, and my Pocket PC. Thanks for this. > > Since I picked up SpreadCE many moons ago for my 360LX, I also transfer > spreadsheets in Excel 97 format, which is handy since, working for a law > firm, my work machines all have WordPerfect Office installed. More often > than not, I work in RTF for documents and Excel 97 for spreadsheets, since > the former is pretty much universal, and the latter is now readable by all > my CE-based devices (HP 360LX, NEC MP 880, Audiovox 6600 PPC phone), and my > work machines (WordPerfect Office 11, which includes QuatroPro). > I also use Office97 on my 98 laptop. It works just fine, and in some ways better than Office XP. 360LX? Thats a slow bugger. Why haven't you upgraded to the Jornada 720? The only advantages I see in keeping a 360LX over a 720 are the following. 1. AA batteries 2. Bigger screen 3. Viewable in direct sunlight (I once sold a 360LX to a engineer who needed a palmtop that could be viewed in direct sunlight that could read Excel files. I also imagine the alkaline batteries were a selling point for him as it would free him from the wall). 4...

Palmtop choices...
Hello everyone. I am trying to make a very tough decision about a possible palmtop. I need something small that I could write, check e-mail, possibly, and, possibly, program C with. I also need it to have a small but decent keyboard and PCMCIA or CF. I would like a DOS based machine, but I have found Psion's EPOC machines very cool. The device, theoretically, would be a small laptop that runs on AAs and has some sort of ROM-based operating system and applications. Old subnotebooks' batteries wear out easily. I also do not want something brand new unless there is a small, affordable device that has the above currently sold. So far I have looked at the Psion Series 5 and 3c, the HP 200 and 95LX, the Atari Portfolio, the NEC MobilePro machines, the HP 320LX, the HP 620LX, the Poqet PC, the Casio Cassiopeia A-11, the Sharp Zaurus ZR-3500, and even the Tandy Model 102. I think the Psion Series 5 is best for me so far. If you know of any good devices or have ideas about my choices, please reply. Regards, xatapu http://xatapu.blogspot.com guofu@sdf.lonestar.org molleraj@gmail.com Xatapu wrote: > Hello everyone. I am trying to make a very tough decision about a > possible palmtop. I need something small that I could write, check > e-mail, possibly, and, possibly, program C with. I also need it to have > a small but decent keyboard and PCMCIA or CF. I would like a DOS based > machine, but I have found Psion's EPOC machines very cool. The device, > theo...

What can a palmtop do?
Hi, I'm thinking about buying a palmtop, but I need to be sure that it will be able to do what I want it to. So my question is what is the best handheld OS so far? I would like to be able to do as much as possible of the following: Edit: - Word - Excell - PowerPoint - RichTextFormat - ASCII (Syntax Highlighting) View: - browse the web with JavaScript and HTTPS support - browse local HTML files - native PDF - bitmap/JPEG/GIF/PNG and other graphic files Play: - mp3 - streaming Real audio/video - other audio/video formats Run: - simple Java aplications - simple Perl scripts Other: - telnet/SSH to servers - ftp - wget (make local copies of web pages) - check mail - handle zip compression Now, this long list is based on what I do with my laptop. I'm sure that no palmtop can handle all of the functions, but I would like to know what programs are available. What OS do you use and what are the names of the programs which handle the above? I will be greatful for any advice and who knows, maybe we'll put together a list of recommended software for each OS. karzyn On 7 Jul 2003 13:33:21 -0700, mike97@polbox.com (Michal Karzynski) wrote: In actual fact a reasonably specced PDA running WinCE or pocketPC should do most of what you ask. I have never tried to connect to the internet with my PDA (Although I know a *host* of utilities like FTP, Telnet etc exist) so I can't answer *all* your questions... *but* >Hi, >I'm thinking about buying a palmtop, but I...

games for palmtop?
maybe palmtops should have games like those of a handheld. it will make having a palmtop more fun. what do u think? Hello! Silvserv wrote: > maybe palmtops should have games like those of a handheld. it will > make having a palmtop more fun. what do u think? Well, _what is_ the difference of a handheld to a palmtop? Sorry for asking so stupid, but I'm not sure what Your point is... :-/ If I considere Your question right, You are putting a GameBoy/Pocket/Color/Advanced/Advanced SP in the group of handhelds? Yes, Palmtops could be more sophisticated in being a gaming platform. On talking about PalmOS-Devices (from Palm, Sony, IBM, Handspring and others) You have to keep in mind that these devices weren't designed to be multimedia, they were PIMs only (Personal Information Managers). So, for maintaining a address database and calendar and so on, You didn't need strong and powerfull hardware. But as everybody knows, games are in most cases hungry for system resources like CPU time, memory (for random access) and memory as storage. PalmOS < 4.x devices don't have this power. But devices like the NX/NZ's from Sony, or Palms Tungsten etc. are much more powerful, have double screen dimensions and twice the RAM the PalmOS 4 devices had. (Well, these informations may vary because of different producers.) Let me insert one thing: Windows CE-enabled devices almost always had more power in their hardware, they seem - to me - be designed always to fit hi...

dos shell for ap/dos
Running ap/dos 5.2.7 under w98 I cannot execute any dos command with the ! option. If I type !DIR and press enter, after a little pause the cursor is back, but nothing happen. I have typed "dos.shell on" previusly and my verb definition for "!" is ! 001 vs 001 17 Any ideas ? Best regards, Cristian Clavero "Cristian Clavero" <cristianclavero@topmail.com.ar> wrote in message news:29009d57.0401230624.c31939@posting.google.com... > Running ap/dos 5.2.7 under w98 I cannot execute any dos command with the ! option. > If I type !DIR and press enter, after a little pause the cursor is back, but > nothing happen. > I have typed "dos.shell on" previusly and my verb definition for "!" is > ! > 001 vs > 001 17 > Any ideas ? Just tried it on WindowsXP and it works fine. Cristian Clavero wrote: > > Running ap/dos 5.2.7 under w98 I cannot execute any dos command with the ! option. > > If I type !DIR and press enter, after a little pause the cursor is back, but > nothing happen. > > I have typed "dos.shell on" previusly and my verb definition for "!" is > > ! > 001 vs > 001 17 > > Any ideas ? > > Best regards, > > Cristian Clavero Please check to use 5.2.7.Dos14 + M4 patch or 5.2.7.Dos16 Stefano ...

Palmtops and batteries
I have been put off palmtop devices a little since I found out that the batteries lose their capacity to hold a charge fairly quickly and replacing them is prohibitively expensive. I have heard quite a lot of people say this. Does anyone have any experience to the contrary? On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 22:49:18 +0100, "C Tate" <colin@nobodyhere.mrcrtate.fsnet.co.uk> wrote: >I have been put off palmtop devices a little since I found out that the >batteries lose their capacity to hold a charge fairly quickly and replacing >them is prohibitively expensive. I have he...

Notification on palmtop
I am looking to develop a notification system for a autonomous machine. The machine should notify the user when something goes wrong etc. My question is, is it possible to notify the user on his palmtop something is wrong with the machine? The palmtop computer should give an notification by means of a e.g. a sound or something to notify the user on the moment the machine wants to notify the user? Thanks, Tymen Yes application can set timers to check for stuff. Like Alarm Clock programs "@Tymen" wrote: > I am looking to develop a notification system for a autonomous machine. The > machine should notify the user when something goes wrong etc. My question > is, is it possible to notify the user on his palmtop something is wrong with > the machine? The palmtop computer should give an notification by means of a > e.g. a sound or something to notify the user on the moment the machine wants > to notify the user? > > Thanks, > > Tymen Simple. Use a PalmPhone & send an e-mail to the PDA. Drop a mail program in the PC that sends a message when specified failure conditions occur. On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 09:31:43 +0200, "@Tymen" <Tymen@nospam.com> wrote: >I am looking to develop a notification system for a autonomous machine. The >machine should notify the user when something goes wrong etc. My question >is, is it possible to notify the user on his palmtop something is wrong with >the machine? The palmtop co...

DOS
Quick question. I have an old dos game (frontier) I want to run on XP. It is recommended that I create a Boot disk. How do I do this in XP? In windows 98 I would go to Add/Remove Programs and create a disk there. Any help in this matter would be appreciated Troot "johnlittlepeap" <johnlittlepeap@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht news:be5cd07c.0311180548.3ebba3db@posting.google.com... > Quick question. I have an old dos game (frontier) I want to run on XP. > It is recommended that I create a Boot disk. How do I do this in XP? > In windows 98 I would go to...

USB driver for DOS or DOS emulations?
This is re-opening a topic first posted in June, about USB drivers. I have been corresponding with a company that sells Optical Mark Readers (there are several brands), but they cannot define to me how to control these devices, because they assume a rather primitive use of these for reading pre-formatted documents, and their method of use requires pre-loading the devices memory with very complex instructions in how to extract data from pre-printed forms and update a text file as the producr. These machines originally were built for RS232C connections, which are now fairly obsolet...

IOS DoS defense causes DoS to itself:)
Can I somehow skip IOS fw maximum tcp half-open "sessions" control (DoS countermeasure) for certain amounts of traffic (matched by ACL)? I saw several times (including today) that internal hosts (mostly infected by virus) reaches upper threshold defined for half-opened connections and then router run into trouble with forwarding other legal traffic. If you then just remove ip inspect rule from interface then, for example web browsing performance comes to normal. So, it would be nice if I could only log excessive number of half-opened connections instead of terminating it. Of...

DOS program compatibility with DOS Merge
Folks, this is for 1.2.1, so it may be better supported. Compatibility: The following DOS application software products operate with the Access program:  Multimate Advantage II  dBase III Plus  The Print Shop  The Print Shop Graphics Library  Sidekick, Version 1.5  Turbo Pascal, Version 3  Turbo Pascal, Version 4  Turbo Prolog  Turbo Graphix Toolbox  GEM Draw Plus  GEM Collection  Sideways  DisplayWrite 4  BASICA, Version 3.3  Lotus 1-2-3, Version 2.01  WordStar Professional  MS Windows, Version 1.03  MS MASM, Version 5.0  MS Quick C, Version 5.0  MS Quick BASIC  MS Flight Simulator  Webster's Spelling Check  Ventura Publisher, Release 1.1. Other DOS application software products can also operate with the Access program provided they do not interfere with the normal functions of the system configuration. Interference occurs when programs do any of the following:  Overlay the DOS or BIOS area of storage  Program the 8259 interrupt controller in a way that interferes with the Access program's use of that controller  Disable interrupts, fail to issue an end-of-interrupt or IRET on a hardware interrupt level, or mask selected interrupt levels for more than 100 milliseconds  Use interrupts 13, 25, or 26 for access to the virtual disk  Configure hardware device registers that belong to the network hardware used by th...

DOS program needs a DOS path to desktop
I am wrtting a DOS program that will place a text file on my desktop. The path to my desktop is C:\Documents and Settings\Owner.YOUR-E4DEF3FEB4\Desktop How can I abbreviate this for DOS usage ? Is there a way to specify a general path to anyones desktop ???? Len <usd@suscom-maine.net> wrote in message news:1158286338.140964.289140@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... > I am wrtting a DOS program that > will place a text file on my desktop. > The path to my desktop is > > C:\Documents and Settings\Owner.YOUR-E4DEF3FEB4\Des...

Under Dos
I'm beginner... can you tell me about programming language under dos ? but result compiler like visual (style 3d) -- Posted via http://dbforums.com try TurboPascal from Borland -- obsidian "pwandaru" <member35283@dbforums.com> wrote in message news:3216243.1060317076@dbforums.com... > > I'm beginner... > can you tell me about programming language under dos ? but result > compiler like visual (style 3d) > > -- > Posted via http://dbforums.com ...

Palmtop EBook Newsgroup?
Hi All, Have the thought of forming a newsgroup for Palmtop EBooks being consider yet? For example: comp.sys.palmtops.ebooks comp.sys.handhelds.ebooks alt.comp.sys.palmtops.ebooks Regards, Byron Collins --- Byron's Emporium - Cool eBooks for PDA's ENJOYOUREAD Production http://www.xecu.net/bcollins/index.htm --- "Byron Collins" <bcollins@clarksville.com> wrote in message news:RoQvb.391$%K6.150058@news.abs.net... > Hi All, > > Have the thought of forming a newsgroup for Palmtop EBooks > being consider yet? > > For example: > comp.sys.palmtops.ebooks > comp.sys.handhelds.ebooks > alt.comp.sys.palmtops.ebooks > > Regards, > > Byron Collins > > --- > Byron's Emporium - Cool eBooks for PDA's > ENJOYOUREAD Production > http://www.xecu.net/bcollins/index.htm > --- > > > There is already a newsgroup for Palm e-books: news:alt.binaries.e-book.palm . There are not as many choices as there are for .LIT and .PDF e-books. -- Earl F. Parrish "David Dunsmore" <majord51@bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:neb2sv85l289oana36nd2rdvhvjaph0ul6@4ax.com... > alt.binaries.e-book.palm is an existing newsgroup for ebooks. Hi David, I mean a newsgroup for discussions, announcements, chit-chat, etc.. for all palmtop operating system eBook related topics; not a Palm OS EBook file sharing newsgroup. ;-) Byron Collins --- Byron's Emporium - Cool eBooks for PDA'...

native dos versus xp dos emulator
win9x runs under native DOS and CLIPPER peer-to-peer networking seems to work ok in that environment, as long as RLOCK(),UNLOCK,DBCOMMIT() are issued to cover IO operations. when XP was developed MICROSOFT used a DOS emulator program to allow DOS windows to run under NT. this product seems to run very well and even allows the CLD debugger to run in a DOS window , something that wasn't supported under WIN9x. however although I cant prove it I think that the DBCOMMIT() function which under DOS issues a buffer flush command to force the record to be physically written from the client c...

Palmtop index database
Where can I get hold of an up-to-date version of the Palmtop Magazine index database? -- Graham Thurlwell Jades' First Encounters Site http://www.jades.org/ffe.htm ...

Dual boot MS-DOS/Free DOS?
Hi--I'm experimenting with an old PC that has MSDOS 6.2 on C: and FreeDOS on D:. I'm looking for a way to toggle the command interpreter on demand. I'm reasonably sure I want the command interpreter to be "permanent" because my understanding is that if it's only "temporary" then it can be overwritten in memory. My instinct is to just type "C:\command.com /P" or "D:\command.com /P", but the help says that the "/P" switch is only for use in config.sys. So is there a way to force a "reload" of C:\config.sys or ...

DoS !!
Hi, Maybe I discovered something already widely known, but I am a little shocked though. I just wrote this small program: #include <stdlib.h> char* func (void){ char* string = (char*)malloc(10000*sizeof(char)); return string; } int main () { char* mem; while (1){ mem = func(); //free(mem); } } The result is, that my system immediately freezes after a short while of swapping. I expected my memory to be flooded, but not a freezed system. I started this program as a normal user. Couldn't such code be used for DoS atta...

New to the HPLX Palmtop
Just got myself a nice used HP 95LX on ebay. Was looking around for some assistance and ran into this group. I'm not big on computers, but once and a while I may shoot out something for tips. Are there any trustworthy HPLX folk here? Thanks, Kevin Don't know if I'm trustworthy, but I do have a HP100LX. Did the 95LX come with a manual? Klaus Ernst "Uganda99" <uganda99@aol.com> wrote in message news:20041119221934.06500.00000496@mb-m22.aol.com... > Just got myself a nice used HP 95LX on ebay. Was looking around for some > assistance and ran into this group. I'm not big on computers, but once and a > while I may shoot out something for tips. Are there any trustworthy HPLX folk > here? > > > Thanks, > > > Kevin Uganda99 wrote: > Just got myself a nice used HP 95LX on ebay. Was looking around for some > assistance and ran into this group. I'm not big on computers, but once and a > while I may shoot out something for tips. Are there any trustworthy HPLX folk > here? http://www.palmtoppaper.com/ http://www.palmtop.net/ HTH -- Regards Wolfhard ...

palmtops and PHP Sessions
In my job we have a web-based database (PHP, HTML, PostrgreSQL) where our representants from other cities can log in and check prices etc. I wonder if such system works on palmtops - i am worried about PHP Sessions and cookies handling by palmtop's web browser. Will it work? The idea is to get acces to our system via gprs. Please, advice me. Thanks. ...

Language support in a Palmtop
Hi all, I've been wanting to develop a new applcation for a while now and I need your expertise. The application will be developed for a Palmtop using Windows CE and I would like it to support my language which is Greek. The thing is, that HP's palmtops are not supporting Greek writting to the application, however, they claim (HP's technical department people), that I can create an application written in Greek (e.g. Greek characters on the buttons or the menus). To clear things up, -as far as I did it for myself- they told me that it is possible for my application to display Greek characters but impossible to write on it (e.g. in a textbox that I've created) using Greek fonts. Do you have any comments on that. My opinion is that I should be able to write Greek since I am going to use Windows CE no matter what HP supports. I am going to ask Toshiba and Siemens too, but I am afraid that I am not going to get any helpfull answer. Thanks in advance, Kostas ...

GPS Palmtop ; repair
My Tomtom GPS doesn't work anymore. I get messages such as: "Not connected", "Trying to connect 2400bps, 4800 bps etc etc", "Corrupt data" and so on. De GPS is designed to work with my Psion 5mx. I suspect the cable to be broken. Has anyone ideas? Does anybody know if it's possible to cut the cable or to repair it? or do replacement cables exist? perhaps universal cables to I can use is with my notebook or other pda too? thank you for your information Geert On Tuesday, in article <VA.0000455e.05f24126@mpc-data.co.uk> spooley@m...

Web resources about - 28 DOS fallacies. DOS palmtop vs. Win CE/PPC palmtops - comp.sys.palmtops

Fallacies of definition - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A definition is no good if it defines its subject with overly wide parameters. For example, suppose the word square is defined by "A figure is ...

Fallacies of Logic on the App Store on iTunes
Get Fallacies of Logic on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Five Fallacies - Idea Channel - PBS Digital Studios - YouTube
Tweet us! http://bit.ly/pbsideachanneltwitter Idea Channel Facebook! http://bit.ly/pbsideachannelfacebook Talk about this episode on reddit! ...

Mission never accomplished: Iraq exposes fallacies of US foreign policy
As Iraq unravels, a painful truth about US politics and foreign policy is becoming more evident: the United States is very good in all-or-nothing ...

Carbonista bushfire fallacies
LIKE the theologians Voltaire skewered for attributing the great Lisbon earthquake of 1755 to licentiousness and vice, the green lobby has seized ...

The five fallacies of our thinking on Iraq
There's a lot to be concerned about in the way Australia is approaching the decision to intervene militarily in Iraq and Syria, and the fallacies ...

The Failures and Fallacies of Mike Daisey's Apple Attack and the Media
Who in their right mind would lie to Ira Glass? That was my first reaction to the revelation that the theatrical monologuist Mike Daisey had ...

A repost: Fallacies of the Week: A few fun Data Fallacies
We have rreported so many scientific frauds in the past couple of weeks, I thought I would highlight some commonly-used "data-management" tricks ...

Avoiding Fallacies in Baseball Analysis
Well constructed articles should be free of poor logic. Here a few common fallacies to keep an eye out for when reading baseball analysis (or ...

Spotify's Financial Viability and Pernicious Fallacies (Op-Ed) - Billboard
David Macias is the President of Thirty Tigers, a label services, management and distribution company that represents the master rights for Flo ...