Parallel to Serial

Hi,
I owned a Palm Vx. I have currently bought a laptop without serial port. It
only has parallel port. I have a parallel-to-serial adaptor. Is there a
software to emulate parallel port to serial port? Or what other method can I
use apart from using USB? Thank for your help!

----------------------------------
remove "(n.o---s.p.a.m)" to reply

0
john
4/15/2006 1:59:34 AM
comp.sys.palmtops 4109 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 01:59:34 GMT, john
  <john2000@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
> I owned a Palm Vx. I have currently bought a laptop without serial port. It
> only has parallel port. I have a parallel-to-serial adaptor. Is there a
> software to emulate parallel port to serial port? Or what other method can I
> use apart from using USB? Thank for your help!

A USB to serial or USB to IRDA adapter.  (Laptop doesn't have serial OR
usb?  Who would buy such a thing?  Who would sell such a thing? Maybe
you could use a PCMCIA serial or wireless card.)

--
I should have been a country-western singer.  After all, I'm older than
most western countries.

----------------------------------
remove "(n.o---s.p.a.m)" to reply
"Bill Marcum" <bmarcum@iglou.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 01:59:34 GMT, john
>  <john2000@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I owned a Palm Vx. I have currently bought a laptop without serial port.
>> It
>> only has parallel port. I have a parallel-to-serial adaptor. Is there a
>> software to emulate parallel port to serial port? Or what other method
>> can I
>> use apart from using USB? Thank for your help!
>>
> A USB to serial or USB to IRDA adapter.  (Laptop doesn't have serial OR
> usb?  Who would buy such a thing?  Who would sell such a thing? Maybe
> you could use a PCMCIA serial or wireless card.)
>
> --
> I should have been a country-western singer.  After all, I'm older than
> most western countries.
> -- George Burns

0
john
4/16/2006 12:25:46 AM
USB to serial adapters are available for under $20US.  The adapters
that use Prolific chip sets seem to work best with the Palm.

On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 00:25:46 GMT, "john"
<john2000(n.o---s.p.a.m)@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>I have usb on the laptop. Just want to try ohter methods first before
>spending money to the USB to Serial kit. Thanks
>
>----------------------------------
>remove "(n.o---s.p.a.m)" to reply
>"Bill Marcum" <bmarcum@iglou.com> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 01:59:34 GMT, john
>>  <john2000@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I owned a Palm Vx. I have currently bought a laptop without serial port.
>>> It
>>> only has parallel port. I have a parallel-to-serial adaptor. Is there a
>>> software to emulate parallel port to serial port? Or what other method
>>> can I
>>> use apart from using USB? Thank for your help!
>>>
>> A USB to serial or USB to IRDA adapter.  (Laptop doesn't have serial OR
>> usb?  Who would buy such a thing?  Who would sell such a thing? Maybe
>> you could use a PCMCIA serial or wireless card.)
>>
>> --
>> I should have been a country-western singer.  After all, I'm older than
>> most western countries.
>> -- George Burns

0
look3664 (42)

serial to parallel and parallel to serial conversion
Hello, I am simulating MC-CDMA/MC-DS-CDMA(using Walsh-Hadamard code in Rayleigh fading Channel + AWGN) using Matlab/Simulink. Do anyone knows how to do the serial to parallel and parallel to serial conversion of the data? Thanks! "Mikail " <mikailidirs@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message <flmn52$d1i$1@fred.mathworks.com>... > Hello, > I am simulating MC-CDMA/MC-DS-CDMA(using Walsh-Hadamard code > in Rayleigh fading Channel + AWGN) using Matlab/Simulink. Do > anyone knows how to do the serial to parallel and parallel > to serial conversion of the data? Thanks! h...

Serial in Parallel out
Hello folks, In my entity i am getting serial-bit input and my expected output shld hve odd bit at one port and even bit at other port. the clk for input is twice as compared to output data rate(eg.Input clk:X Mhz,Output clk: X/2 Mhz). I wrote the code but i am not getting the result as expected Initally in the waveform (for first cycle with reference to input clk). can anybody tell me where i went wrong ? Thanks in advance, ALI CODE FOR SERIAL-BIT TO 2-BIT PARALLEL ------------------------------------------------------------------ LIBRARY IEEE; USE IEEE.STD_LOGIC_1164.ALL; USE IEEE.NUMERI...

Issues about applying &quot;parallel tasks&quot; with serial serial port
Hi all, I'm doing a routine (vi) that is intended to be used for calibration of 3 temperature probes of a temperature controller device (TCD), in parallelTCD has a serial port, I can communicate with successfully using a low level routine that implement Modbus protocol functions and use the VISA serial VIs.I can read/write some registers that adjust the temperature value.So, for example, if you have 30 �F on display of TCD, and calibration register is -1, you can modify it (with a known formula) to 4, and the temperature will be 32�F. I wrote a routine that works, and it's called "Cal.probe", it works for 1 probe, and it follows the state diagram in FIG.2 (attached).I would like to call this function in a "parallel" way, see FIG.1 where I pass parameters that I need. &nbsp; ISSUE 1)The inner serial functions for serial communication are NOT "reentrant", they weren't make with "parallel tasks" in mind...If I declare the single "Cal Probe" VI as REENTRANT, I see that they are called and run ALMOST at the same time (verified enabling the "open vi when called" and "close if origially closed" options), instead it is not reentrant, the same function is not called in parallel so I lose the advantages of LabView hassle-free multithreading (it's called and executed, then called again and executed, ecc..) Is this correct? &nbsp; ISSUE 2)All the instances works with the SAME COM port, but if re...

serial to parallel converters
Has anyone ever had experience with serial-to-parallel converters (as opposed to swapping out the actual interface)? I'm trying to save some money and convert a serial printer to parallel so I can make it a networked printer(via JetDirectEX). The device I'm using is a converter manufactured by Aten and sold by Global supply. It looks like a gender bender with dip switches and power. One end is a DB25, the other is a Centronics 36 pin. * To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, * * etc., please visit http://raven.utc.edu/archives/hp3000-l.html * ...

DualPortRAM serial IN
Is it possible to configure a DualPartRAM in an Altera APEX20KE (using Quartus II 4.1) to write serial to the RAM (1 Bit) and read parallel from the RAM (16 Bit)? Thanks, Manfred I don't believe you can... The 20k RAM is some what specialized as compared with more modern FPGAs. But why not just use a 16bit shift register on the input? Simon "Manfred Balik" <e8825130@stud4.tuwien.ac.at> wrote in message news:41945fa6$0$11614$3b214f66@tunews.univie.ac.at... > Is it possible to configure a DualPartRAM in an Altera APEX20KE (using > Quartus II 4.1) to > write s...

Parallel to Serial ASI ...
Hi, I have two simple questions : - To implement a conversion Paralle to Serial ASI (paralel data TS from Digital Tuner) you must use an FPGA or exist an chip that can make the conversion ? - If do not exist a dedicated chip, from where I can start to develop the FPGA device (Vhdl, Verilog, ecc) ? Someone has already done this ? Thanks for any response. Kappa. Kappa, Have you visited: http://www.xilinx.com/esp/broadcast.htm ? Austin Thanks Austin ... > Have you visited: > > http://www.xilinx.com/esp/broadcast.htm Yes i have visited ... but I thought that there was so...

serial to parallel conversion
i am facing a problem in serial to parallel conversion is there any function StoP for serial to parallel conversion plese help me out KULDIP PAHWA wrote: > i am facing a problem in serial to parallel conversion > is there any function StoP for serial to parallel conversion plese > help me out My program does not work, please give me the solution.... You need to give some more info on what your problem exactly is. Do you want to go from a seiral port to a parallel port? Or do you have a single array of numbers (bits?) which need to be converted to some parallel format (which form...

Serial/Parallel interface
Hi ! I've a PCW8256, and I need to transfer files to and from a PC. I looked for a LocoLink cable but nothing. Now I've found, new, a Serial/Parallel interface. Which software can I use ? Only on serial interface ? I need a null modem or a standard LapLink cable ? I have a Belkin-style transfer cable (9-25 F-F) Thanks Vincenzo Antonicelli On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 13:58:31 GMT, supervinx <supervinx@libero.it> wrote: >Hi ! >I've a PCW8256, and I need to transfer files to and from a PC. >I looked for a LocoLink cable but nothing. >Now I've found, n...

Serial vs parallel kinematics
Where can I find a list of the (dis)advantages of serial and parallel kinematics? regards Pierre Pierre Bast wrote: > Where can I find a list of the (dis)advantages of serial and parallel > kinematics? > > regards > Pierre English not your first language ?? http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/kinematics ???? Even though it's not, what is unclear on the question I asked?? Pierre Bast wrote: > ???? > > Even though it's not, what is unclear on the question I asked?? OK, Serial vs parallel mechnical systems ??? I guess I mis...

Serial & Parallel Communication
I tried several times to interface my circuit( in simplest form, to glow a LED) with my MATLAB program through parallel port(LPT1) and serial port(COM1) of the PC.But I haven't succeed as yet.So I am looking forward to get help on this problem. Visit http://www.mathworks.com/products/daq/index.html -- the Data Acquisition Toolbox provides access to the parallel port. Also, it's a frequent topic in the newsgroup, and googling "MATLAB parallel port" gives good results. -Rob ------- Rob Purser Data Acquisition Software Engineer The Mathworks rob.purser@mathworks.com 508-647-...

parallel vs. serial disk access
Hi NG, last week I received some very useful answers to my question about the parallel flows when sending a file over a network, so think it's a good idea to ask you again this time... (Just wanted to say thanks again :) Background is still that I'm creating a solution for network file transfers. Of course, it's been done a thousand times before - but that doesn't mean it can't be done any better, does it? The problem is: When accessing a system with a single client, the whole system is "dedicated" to that client. Disk i/o, read-ahead and network ...

generic serial to parallel IO module
Hi Group, I'm trying to find a way to input and output multiple m bit signals from an FPGA, where m is a very large number. The design is a (not quite) serial to parallel in and a parallel to serial out module. let's say that input is a 32 bit wide signal, inputOne is a 256 bit wide signal. inputCounter counts from 0 to 7, inputNumber counts from 0 to 3. inputCounter counts if input is enabled. inputNumber counts if inputCounter reaches 7 and input is enabled. My question is whether I can provide a generate statement or synthesisable function to provide the following: arbitrary numb...

Labview example serial to parallel conversion
Hello &nbsp; I have a test requirement where I want to use MIC 5891 which is a " serial input to 8 bit parallel driver - shift register "&nbsp;for driving relays etc, I want to use DAQ 6008 DO lines to be used as clk , serial data strobe , output enable lines for this serial to parallel driver IC. &nbsp; Can someone provide help how this can be done using LABVIEW. We are using Labview 7.1 &nbsp; &nbsp; Thanks &nbsp; Vinod &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Hi Vinod, The USB-6008 does not have hardware timed digital outputs, so the only way to accomplish what you are trying to do will be through software timing. Since it looks like you are doing synchronous serial this could work. &nbsp;You will have a manually control each line in software to create the timing you are looking for. A good example of software timed digital output can be found in the NI Example Finder. This can be found by going to the Help menu and selecting Find Examples.... Once the NI Example Finder is open select Hardware Input and Output � DAQmx � Digital Generation � Write Dig Port.vi. Also <a href="http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=70&amp;thread.id=7192&amp;view=by_date_ascending&amp;page=2" target="_blank">here</a> is a forum post that talks about implementing software timed SPI communication. Since SPI is a type of synchronous serial this may help also. Let me know if you have any questions. ...

parallel gc versus serial gc
Hi , We use oracle application server and have some pausing problems inside the java vm. The problem shows itself as pausings of executions , when clients start to get late responses ( here lat e means < 4 sec. ) , i see more than 10 garbage collector operations . The client applications are web services and do database queries. The java process ( the os is sun solaris) , according to the prstat , has > 1000 threads inside , and during the garbage collectiong phase , consumes more than 60% cpu time. ( the server has 2 cpus - 2 gb. ram) The java process uses the following parameters: ...

Working with COM/Serial/Parallel Ports?
Where should I start in my search for information about how to do this? I have always wanted to learn and I think I finally have the initiative. Any C++ library files for doing this? Thank you very much for your time, John SearedIce wrote: > Where should I start in my search for information about how to do this? In a book devoted to the system you're trying to program them under. If you don't have such a book, a newsgroup oriented toward that system would probably be able to give you advice about a good one to get. -- Later, Jerry. The universe is a figment of its o...

Gnu make (parallel/serial) question
Makefile reads all: aa bb cc aa: make tgt-a bb: make tgt-b cc: make MAKEFLAGS= tgt-c $ make -j3 But I want sub-make in cc target to be built in serial. Would the above work? TIA James James <hslee911@yahoo.com> writes: > Makefile reads > > all: aa bb cc > aa: > make tgt-a > bb: > make tgt-b > cc: > make MAKEFLAGS= tgt-c > > $ make -j3 > > But I want sub-make in cc target to be built in serial. > Would the above work? You may want to read: Communicating Options to a Sub-make: https://www.gnu.org/software/make/manual/html_node/Options_002fRecursion.html#Options_002fRecursion http://tinyurl.com/nf2z8mh and https://www.gnu.org/software/make/manual/html_node/Parallel.html#Parallel (First paragraph mentions .NOTPARALLEL,) Hope that helps. -- Dan Espen On 2015-09-28, Dan Espen <despen@verizon.net> wrote: > James <hslee911@yahoo.com> writes: > >> Makefile reads >> >> all: aa bb cc >> aa: >> make tgt-a >> bb: >> make tgt-b >> cc: >> make MAKEFLAGS= tgt-c >> >> $ make -j3 >> >> But I want sub-make in cc target to be built in serial. >> Would the above work? > > You may want to read: > > Communicating Options to a Sub-make: Not until after reading "Recursive Make Considered Harmful", t...

PCI parallel and serial cards
Could, please, someone point me to a source of information about configuration of new COM.SYS and PRINT01.YS drivers for PCI modem and PCI parallel card? Thanks Frank Bures, <feeb@chem.utoronto.ca> Sir: FEEB wrote: > Could, please, someone point me to a source of information about > configuration of new COM.SYS and PRINT01.YS drivers for PCI modem and PCI > parallel card? > The readme files in the updates has the full info. Get the update files from the IBM on-line device driver site or eCS update site. -- Bill Thanks a Million! ...

C++ getting data from serial/parallel port, how to?
Hi all: I tried searching on the net, but I do not even know what I am looking for. What I want to do is to write aprogram using C++ that will gather data from an external microprocessor, format it and write it to a file for later use. I can handle pretty much everything exept the part where I "listen" to either the serial or parallel (may be USB?) ports for data from the external source. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Sonoman On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 01:14:11 -0400, Sonoman <billgates@microsoft.com> wrote: > Hi all: > I tried searching on the net, but I do no...

C64 parallel port data to serial (RS232) ?
I would like to hook up my C64 to an external circuit which will send serial commands at a high clock rate via command from the C64's parallel port. This will be a parallel to serial conversion, but the C64 will only need to strobe the parallel data in. The circuit runs off its own clock (relieving the C64 from clocking data). Has anyone made such a circuit ? Marcel Hi Marcel, Marcel Gonzalez wrote: > parallel port. This will be a parallel to serial conversion, but the > C64 will only need to strobe the parallel data in. The circuit runs > off its own clock (relieving the C64 f...

CORDIC bit-serial vs. bit-parallel
Hello, I'm trying to write a CORDIC macro for a polar transmitter FPGA design. I've used the parallel approach, but when I do a timing estimation the longest delay path is through the CORDIC routine, and limits the maximum clock rate of the whole design to about 40MHz. Other parts of the design on the same board need to run at much faster rate so I'm considering using a bit-serial version. As I understand it, the bit-parallel implementation has low latency and therefore high throughput, but because of the the word-wide shifts it clocks at a slower rate. Conversely, the bit-serial...

serial to parallel converter for discrete data in simulink
Hello, Any any one know how is convert serial data to parallel data ( i mean serial data of 12 is made block of 12 and send parallel ) in simulink. Buffer, rebuffer block cannot help me. Has anyone did anything of this kind please suggest me how to go about. waiting for reply with regards praveen ...

help with serial to parallel conversion inside the fpga
Hi.. I am working with xc3s400...my fpga takes in an input "MOSI" from a microcontroller and another input "SCK"... These 2 inputs r used for serial communication between the two devices.. At this clock, "SCK" serial data is transferred to the FPGA through "MOSI"... Its an 8 bit value transferred serially But this 8 bit value needs to be assigned to different variables inside the FPGA.. So I was thinking tat i could use 2 successive 8 bit values, one carrying an addr and one carrying the data information So depending on this addr, the respective ...

serial/parallel to ethernet communication through dos #2
hello, my name is brijesh i have an old lap to having a parallel and serial port. i want to use this port to ping ethernet ports for testing purposes could anyone kindly suggest me how do i achieve thgis using dos programing. since the laptop is too old the configuration is restricted to : 12mb ram 30mb HDD 1 serial port 1 parallel port 1 1.44" floppy drive i was able to install only MSDOS on it can you suggest what else is required for me that enables me to communicate to a ethernet port through the serial/parallel port? my need is only to ping ethernet port using th...

Need SunOS software for Serial Parallel Controller
We recently unearthed an ancient SPARCstation 1 in order to develop a new version of an old project. Unfortunately, it has suffered terminal disk failure in storage. We have transplanted its 501-1931 Serial Parallel Controller to a spare SPARCstation 2. Unfortunately, we cannot locate the SunOS 4.1 STC Driver/Install Script/Config Script "release media" diskette in order to load it onto the "new" host. Can anybody point me to a source for this driver/script software? Thanks, Randy Graves Sonatech, Inc. Randy Graves <graves@sonatech.com> writes: > >We...

Web resources about - Parallel to Serial - comp.sys.palmtops

Parallel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The parallel universe of Donald J. Trump
Within days of the launch of Donald J. Trump's presidential campaign last June, he entered a parallel universe of his unique creation – a universe ...

The parallel universe of Donald J. Trump
Within days of the launch of Donald J. Trump's presidential campaign last June, he entered a parallel universe of his unique creation &ndash; ...

Buy Parallels
Starting today, Parallels is offering a new bundle for a limited time that will let you get 81% off 7 great Mac apps with the purchase or upgrade ...

Explore parallel worlds in Abandoned: The Underground City
... through the scenes, pick up items, and obtain clues. Unlock different locations to explore and search for the secrets behind this hidden, parallel ...

Scandal over South African president draws Nixon parallel
JOHANNESBURG (AP) — Speaking in an old fort and prison from South Africa's era of white domination, a former anti-apartheid leader hinted that ...

Trust and Democracy: The Odd Parallels between Trump and Apple
... Apple in its fight against the FBI and Justice Department wouldn’t be caught dead voting for Trump. And yet Apple’s position has some odd parallels ...

Trade Policy Parallels
It’s not surprising at all, I think. Both Bernie and Trump belong to the rebels, the outsiders. The establishment on both sides is trying to ...

Parallels Updates Remote Application Server for PCs, Macs
Parallels Remote Application Server v15 brings Windows applications and desktops to employees on any device, anywhere in the world.