Should I sell my J720 and move to a PocketPC or DOS Palmtop?

I keep thinking about doing this.  The HPC world is DEAD, as their is
virtually no new software being developed, and virtually NO SUPPORT. The
HPLX DOS machines will last longer and hold their value longer, because
they run a more universal OS, and seem to still hold value for certain
industries.  Aviation, data collection, and trains would be just a few
that still use the HP DOS machines.  I've thought about selling and
moving to the HP 200LX DOS 5.x machine several times.

If I did sell and move to a PocketPC what would you recommend?  I may
have asked this question before, but realize that the market changes
daily, and I post daily, so it would be hard to recall any posts.  I've
thought about the Dell PocketPC's.  Another major drag about doing this,
is that I would lose all my software, and not every file may convert.

PocketPC users can your systems read .pwd doc files?  HPC stores its
Word files in this format.  How about .pxl?

It will be a tough decision deciding if I will sell my Jornada 720, and
if I did to move to a Pocket PC or DOS HP 200LX.  The advantage of the
DOS machine is it lasts months on AA batteries, but the disadvantage is
that it cannot sync, but will act as an entirely different PC running
old DOS.  I did take basic and advanced DOS years ago, so it may come in
handy. But then again it was under DOS 6.22, and the 200LX runs DOS 5.x.

The DOS machine also cannot use wifi or a web browser, so it may act
more as a cute little organizer, rather than another computer.

Thanks for any help.

John
0
john.doggett (258)
9/14/2005 4:48:08 PM
comp.sys.palmtops 4109 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

In article <john.doggett-766513.09480814092005@news.charter.net>, Bible
John says...
> I keep thinking about doing this.  The HPC world is DEAD, as their is
> virtually no new software being developed, and virtually NO SUPPORT. The
> HPLX DOS machines will last longer and hold their value longer, because
> they run a more universal OS, and seem to still hold value for certain
> industries.  Aviation, data collection, and trains would be just a few
> that still use the HP DOS machines.  I've thought about selling and
> moving to the HP 200LX DOS 5.x machine several times.
>
> If I did sell and move to a PocketPC what would you recommend?  I may
> have asked this question before, but realize that the market changes
> daily, and I post daily, so it would be hard to recall any posts.  I've
> thought about the Dell PocketPC's.  Another major drag about doing this,
> is that I would lose all my software, and not every file may convert.
>
> PocketPC users can your systems read .pwd doc files?  HPC stores its
> Word files in this format.  How about .pxl?
>
> It will be a tough decision deciding if I will sell my Jornada 720, and
> if I did to move to a Pocket PC or DOS HP 200LX.  The advantage of the
> DOS machine is it lasts months on AA batteries, but the disadvantage is
> that it cannot sync, but will act as an entirely different PC running
> old DOS.  I did take basic and advanced DOS years ago, so it may come in
> handy. But then again it was under DOS 6.22, and the 200LX runs DOS 5.x.
>
> The DOS machine also cannot use wifi or a web browser, so it may act
> more as a cute little organizer, rather than another computer.

Tried asking god?
--
Michael
John, there is a lot of software for the HP 200LX DOS machine,

Bible John <john.doggett@x-files.gov> wrote:

>I keep thinking about doing this.  The HPC world is DEAD, as their is=20
>virtually no new software being developed, and virtually NO SUPPORT. The=
=20
>HPLX DOS machines will last longer and hold their value longer, because=20
>they run a more universal OS, and seem to still hold value for certain=20
>industries.  Aviation, data collection, and trains would be just a few=20
>that still use the HP DOS machines.  I've thought about selling and=20
>moving to the HP 200LX DOS 5.x machine several times.=20
>
>If I did sell and move to a PocketPC what would you recommend?  I may=20
>have asked this question before, but realize that the market changes=20
>daily, and I post daily, so it would be hard to recall any posts.  I've=20
>thought about the Dell PocketPC's.  Another major drag about doing this,=
=20
>is that I would lose all my software, and not every file may convert. =20
>
>PocketPC users can your systems read .pwd doc files?  HPC stores its=20
>Word files in this format.  How about .pxl? =20
>
>It will be a tough decision deciding if I will sell my Jornada 720, and=20
>if I did to move to a Pocket PC or DOS HP 200LX.  The advantage of the=20
>DOS machine is it lasts months on AA batteries, but the disadvantage is=20
>that it cannot sync, but will act as an entirely different PC running=20
>old DOS.  I did take basic and advanced DOS years ago, so it may come in=
=20
>handy. But then again it was under DOS 6.22, and the 200LX runs DOS 5.x.
>
>The DOS machine also cannot use wifi or a web browser, so it may act=20
>more as a cute little organizer, rather than another computer.
>

>Thanks for any help.
>

>John
Thanks
Juan I. Cahis
Santiago de Chile (South America)
Note: Please forgive me for my bad English, I am trying to improve it!
0
jiclbch (1)
9/14/2005 8:45:24 PM
Bible John <john.doggett@x-files.gov> wrote:

Some years ago I was an avid HPLX user. Recently I again bought a used
HP200lx on ebay for pretty much the same reasons as you list.

After having used it for some months (again) I must say that there are a
lot of features in the HP200lx that seems to have been forgotten in most
newer pda's and hpc's (the great keyboard and standard batteres are just
some of the most important examples).

I use an128 Mb Sanddisk cfcard and a cfcard-pcmcia as disk. Only
drawback is some seconds waiting the first time you browse a directory
after powering the HPLX. When I want to move data  I simply put the card
into my standard cf-card reader and move the files around.

I mostly use standard DOS apps. I almost never use the built-in apps
other than the lotus123 which fileformat works fine with excel among
other newer apps. For the editor which is nice when wanting a low
resolution (big letters) I sometimes use an rtf converter.

For text editing I also have a stripped down version of WordPerfect 5.1.
I even do a little programming using Turbo C 2.0, which is available for
free at borland.com. For browsing I use Norton Commander.

I have written a DOS (and linux and osx) program that handles Garmin GPS
synchronization for the newer etrex and gps60 series among other. This
is one of my main tasks aside from writing text when on the move.

I have  managed to get GPRS working including pop3 mail, ftp and irc,
but I am having some nasty DNS problems with some applications though.

Well these are my experiences. There a problably a lot of different
opinions on this matter. I would go for a palm for everyday calendar use
and a hp100/200lx for most other things (including travelling and
backpacking).

KJ
--
http://www.cetusgps.dk
http://www.oz1sun.dk
<john.doggett@x-files.gov> wrote:

[snip]

>It will be a tough decision deciding if I will sell my Jornada 720, and
>if I did to move to a Pocket PC or DOS HP 200LX.  The advantage of the
>DOS machine is it lasts months on AA batteries, but the disadvantage is
>that it cannot sync, but will act as an entirely different PC running
>old DOS.  I did take basic and advanced DOS years ago, so it may come in
>handy. But then again it was under DOS 6.22, and the 200LX runs DOS 5.x.
>
>The DOS machine also cannot use wifi or a web browser, so it may act
>more as a cute little organizer, rather than another computer.

Well, as a user of the 200LX (and a Palm T|C) I would claim
that the 200LX and its older siblings are far closer to a
"real" computer than any of the Palm or PocketPC systems.
You don't need to know much about DOS to use the 200LX
effectively, and knowledge of DOS 6.22 almost as good as DOD
5.x. There are at least two Web browsers that run on the
200LX, but you are limited by the B&W screen and the lack of
enough CPU power and RAM to support secure web pages. There
are wired Ethernet cards and drivers that work very well
with the 200LX, but you are correct that there is no WiFi
solution. All the available WiFi cards draw too much power
and none have DOS drivers. So, if you define a "real
computer" as one that can surf the web using WiFi, then the
200LX is not for you.

However, if you define a "real computer" as one that can be
used as your primary computer instead of as an accessory to
your desktop, then the 200LX wins. Or, if you define a "real
computer" as one that can have applications installed
directly on it instead of first on the "host" machine and
then transferred to the "accessory" machine, then the 200LX
wins. Or if you define a "real computer" as one that you can
use as the platform to develop applications that run on that
computer, then the 200LX wins.

--
Vic Roberts
Replace xxx with vdr in e-mail address.
On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 09:48:08 -0700, Bible John
<john.doggett@x-files.gov> wrote:

>I keep thinking about doing this.  The HPC world is DEAD, as their is
>virtually no new software being developed, and virtually NO SUPPORT.
I made the big mistake years ago by getting an hp680.  I coimpounded
that mstake by getting various PPC devices.

Fortunetly I kept my hp200lx and am now back using it.  Newer is not
always better.

The 680, 720, the hp 548, hp568, etc. they are nice toys but their
not ready for prime time.  When I bought them I spent tons of moeny
to become a beta tester for platforms/devices/ where TPTB had
no intention of ever fixing the bugs or developing an even passable
device for users.

The other complaint I have is the faulty aderstising of the mfg.
The HPC device makers should have been forced to label their
products in large letters that the users have flown the coop on this
device.  The PPC device makers should have been forced to
label their products in large letters that e-books will never
be viable on the PPC,  that syncing is a very iffy proposition,

>PocketPC users can your systems read .pwd doc files?  HPC stores its
>Word files in this format.  How about .pxl?
When you save in Word on the desktop there is a format for pocket pc
files and a seperate format for handheld pc files.

>It will be a tough decision deciding if I will sell my Jornada 720, and
>if I did to move to a Pocket PC or DOS HP 200LX.  The advantage of the
>DOS machine is it lasts months on AA batteries, but the disadvantage is
>that it cannot sync, but will act as an entirely different PC running
>old DOS.
Wong.   I have mine set up to sync from the desktop to the hp200lx.
Been doing it for years.

>The DOS machine also cannot use wifi or a web browser, so it may act
>more as a cute little organizer, rather than another computer.
I don't do wifi but then I don't want my neighbors downloading porn
on my wifi dime.

Victor Roberts wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 09:48:08 -0700, Bible John
> <john.doggett@x-files.gov> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>

>>It will be a tough decision deciding if I will sell my Jornada 720, and
>>if I did to move to a Pocket PC or DOS HP 200LX.  The advantage of the
>>DOS machine is it lasts months on AA batteries, but the disadvantage is
>>that it cannot sync, but will act as an entirely different PC running
>>old DOS.  I did take basic and advanced DOS years ago, so it may come in
>>handy. But then again it was under DOS 6.22, and the 200LX runs DOS 5.x.
>>
>>The DOS machine also cannot use wifi or a web browser, so it may act
>>more as a cute little organizer, rather than another computer.
>

> Well, as a user of the 200LX (and a Palm T|C) I would claim
> that the 200LX and its older siblings are far closer to a
> "real" computer than any of the Palm or PocketPC systems.
> You don't need to know much about DOS to use the 200LX
> effectively, and knowledge of DOS 6.22 almost as good as DOD
> 5.x. There are at least two Web browsers that run on the
> 200LX, but you are limited by the B&W screen and the lack of
> enough CPU power and RAM to support secure web pages. There
> are wired Ethernet cards and drivers that work very well
> with the 200LX, but you are correct that there is no WiFi
> solution. All the available WiFi cards draw too much power
> and none have DOS drivers. So, if you define a "real
> computer" as one that can surf the web using WiFi, then the
> 200LX is not for you.
>
> However, if you define a "real computer" as one that can be
> used as your primary computer instead of as an accessory to
> your desktop, then the 200LX wins. Or, if you define a "real
> computer" as one that can have applications installed
> directly on it instead of first on the "host" machine and
> then transferred to the "accessory" machine, then the 200LX
> wins. Or if you define a "real computer" as one that you can
> use as the platform to develop applications that run on that
> computer, then the 200LX wins.
>
> --
> Vic Roberts
> Replace xxx with vdr in e-mail address.

Just for funsies ... a thought or 3:

If you want to check "real" computing on a HPC, try a NEC MobilePro
780/790/800/880 (ok - BIG hands ;-) with NetBSD (hpcmips port).
Full-fledged unix with  many packages in the ports collection, including
compilers, and many of the "standard" unix utilities along with the
built-in abilities of csh or ksh (if you know what those are, then you
are "qualified" ;-) .

Several wired and Wifi cards are supported, and work well in text mode
with links or eilinks (forget which now, or if both). They work with a
full TCP/IP stack, and many commandline network apps like ftp, ssh,
telnet, etc.

X windows and many X apps work ok, although the lmiited screen size gets
to be constraining - no really good GUI browsers work suitably in that
space, altho a port of Firefox/Mozilla called Minimo is supposed to be a
big improvement - I'm keeping an eye on ebay for a reasonable 800 or 880
- hardware specs seem to be about the same, so I don't care about the
WinCE version in the ROM - to see if the 800x600 screen makes it more
fun.   Still, several xterms with about a 6x10 font do give you a number
of simultaneous commandline windows to work in and watch side by side. I
don't want to think how all that would look on the much smaller Jornada
7xx screens, though.  Same pixel count, but a lot smaller - maybe that's
why there is no "official" NetBSD X server for the Jornadas, although I
believe a few tenacious hackers (in the good sense) have made some
"hacks" at it...

Another downside is that so far the NetBSD developers have not cracked
the code for the power management, so you have to keep it plugged in
even after hitting the power button seems to turn it off - more like a
standby mode.

That being said, and despite all that "handheld" computing power lust, I
still find a Palm to be quite useful just for its focused PIM functions,
and carry one with me all the time for that purpose. Heck of a lot
easier to enter/read address and date book info than my cell phone
(screen/pixel/character counts too small, and all that multi-press
button text entry vs basic Graffiti - no contest) or a PC (too big). The
fanciest non-PIM stuff I do with it is take pix (Zire 71) for visual
"memos" or really candid throwaway shots.

I want at least 800x600 and a keyboard for anything like serious
Internet'ing.

FWIW,
ROC
0
nospam239 (162)
9/16/2005 2:53:19 AM
In article <6ltii11gggujshqmob8jqko3h2jf2rirpg@4ax.com>,
 Victor Roberts <xxx@lighting-research.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 09:48:08 -0700, Bible John
> <john.doggett@x-files.gov> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> >It will be a tough decision deciding if I will sell my Jornada 720, and
> >if I did to move to a Pocket PC or DOS HP 200LX.  The advantage of the
> >DOS machine is it lasts months on AA batteries, but the disadvantage is
> >that it cannot sync, but will act as an entirely different PC running
> >old DOS.  I did take basic and advanced DOS years ago, so it may come in
> >handy. But then again it was under DOS 6.22, and the 200LX runs DOS 5.x.
> >
> >The DOS machine also cannot use wifi or a web browser, so it may act
> >more as a cute little organizer, rather than another computer.
>
> Well, as a user of the 200LX (and a Palm T|C) I would claim
> that the 200LX and its older siblings are far closer to a
> "real" computer than any of the Palm or PocketPC systems.

Have you used the handheld PC palmtops?  Jornada 720?  Yes I agree that
Palms and PocketPC's are not real computers, but the Jornada 720 is a
handheldpc.

> You don't need to know much about DOS to use the 200LX
> effectively, and knowledge of DOS 6.22 almost as good as DOD
> 5.x. There are at least two Web browsers that run on the
> 200LX, but you are limited by the B&W screen and the lack of
> enough CPU power and RAM to support secure web pages. There
> are wired Ethernet cards and drivers that work very well
> with the 200LX, but you are correct that there is no WiFi
> solution. All the available WiFi cards draw too much power
> and none have DOS drivers. So, if you define a "real
> computer" as one that can surf the web using WiFi, then the
> 200LX is not for you.

Maybe.  I dont know.

> However, if you define a "real computer" as one that can be
> used as your primary computer instead of as an accessory to
> your desktop, then the 200LX wins.

This is the major advantage.  I tested a 200LX once, and in some ways
would much rather prefer it over any Palm,PPC, or HPC.

Or, if you define a "real
> computer" as one that can have applications installed
> directly on it instead of first on the "host" machine and
> then transferred to the "accessory" machine, then the 200LX
> wins. Or if you define a "real computer" as one that you can
> use as the platform to develop applications that run on that
> computer, then the 200LX wins.

I dont write software, but if I did, then yes I agree that no Palm or
PocketPC would do the job.  However the Jornada 720 is a different
matter.

I think I decided to keep my Jornada 720 (too much software and
documents that wont transfer to a 200LX).  However when I get the money
I think I might buy a 200LX.

John

> --
> Vic Roberts
> Replace xxx with vdr in e-mail address.

--
CERM-Church Education Resource Ministries
http://johnw.freeshell.org/bible/
wrote:

> That being said, and despite all that "handheld" computing power lust, I
> still find a Palm to be quite useful just for its focused PIM functions,
> and carry one with me all the time for that purpose.

So do I

Heck of a lot
> easier to enter/read address and date book info than my cell phone
> (screen/pixel/character counts too small, and all that multi-press
> button text entry vs basic Graffiti - no contest) or a PC (too big).
> The fanciest non-PIM stuff I do with it is take pix (Zire 71) for visual
> "memos" or really candid throwaway shots.

Bye the way how long does your Zire 72 battery last?  I have to recharge
mine like once every other day.  Battery life sucks.

> I want at least 800x600 and a keyboard for anything like serious
> Internet'ing.

Hmm

--
CERM-Church Education Resource Ministries
http://johnw.freeshell.org/bible/
2Tim. 4:2 Preach the Word; be prepared in
season and out of season; correct, rebuke
and encourage -- with great patience and
careful instruction.
AIM-Crucifyself03
0
john.doggett (258)
9/18/2005 9:04:09 PM
In article <95nji19ce7b57r5ef7v7g6dajtkv6qieue@4ax.com>,
 Barrnabas Collins <BarnabasCollinsonSFNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I made the big mistake years ago by getting an hp680.  I coimpounded
> that mstake by getting various PPC devices.

Yeah I've heard this before.  I think I might buy a 200LX when I get the
money.  However I'll still keep my Jornada 720.

> Fortunetly I kept my hp200lx and am now back using it.  Newer is not
> always better.
>
> The 680, 720, the hp 548, hp568, etc. they are nice toys but their
> not ready for prime time.

The 720 is much better than the 680.

< When I bought them I spent tons of moeny
> to become a beta tester for platforms/devices/ where TPTB had
> no intention of ever fixing the bugs or developing an even passable
> device for users.
>
> The other complaint I have is the faulty aderstising of the mfg.
> The HPC device makers should have been forced to label their
> products in large letters that the users have flown the coop on this
> device.  The PPC device makers should have been forced to
> label their products in large letters that e-books will never
> be viable on the PPC,  that syncing is a very iffy proposition,

Back in 2000 many retailers were selling HPC's, yet today you walk in
one and they dont know what an HPC is.  In only 5 years or less they
have forgotten that the HPC ever existed.  Yes they sold poorly.  I had
one heck of a time getting customers to buy them when I was in computer
sales.

Ebooks?  They work fine on my Zire 72.  Its so simple I just drag the
book onto the "Send to Handheld app" and sync and its there.  Simple
really.

> >PocketPC users can your systems read .pwd doc files?  HPC stores its
> >Word files in this format.  How about .pxl?
> When you save in Word on the desktop there is a format for pocket pc
> files and a seperate format for handheld pc files.

But can a PPC read the HPC files?

> >It will be a tough decision deciding if I will sell my Jornada 720, and
> >if I did to move to a Pocket PC or DOS HP 200LX.  The advantage of the
> >DOS machine is it lasts months on AA batteries, but the disadvantage is
> >that it cannot sync, but will act as an entirely different PC running
> >old DOS.
> Wong.   I have mine set up to sync from the desktop to the hp200lx.
> Been doing it for years.

How can I do this?  I have a PC laptop running Windows 98 SE.  I can use
some help.  Thanks..  I plan to get a 200LX when I get the money.

> >The DOS machine also cannot use wifi or a web browser, so it may act
> >more as a cute little organizer, rather than another computer.
> I don't do wifi but then I don't want my neighbors downloading porn
> on my wifi dime.

He he.  I used my neighbors wifi connection for 2 months but I did not
download porn.

The 200LX is very small, yet cant do wifi.  Well I probably would need a
laptop for it anyways.  The Jornada 720 can do wifi, but sucks at web
browsing.

> Newsgroups

CERM-Church Education Resource Ministries
http://johnw.freeshell.org/bible/
2Tim. 4:2 Preach the Word; be prepared in
season and out of season; correct, rebuke
and encourage -- with great patience and
careful instruction.
AIM-Crucifyself03
0
john.doggett (258)
9/18/2005 9:17:45 PM
In article <#EDLb$wuFHA.2556@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>,
 "Kenny Anderson" <xengineerx@xkboykoolx.com> wrote:

> SoftMaker products save in native MS Office formats and are available for
> HPC, PPC, Windows and Linux.  In addition, their products are more
> compatible with MS Office than Microsoft's own PocketOffice versions.  You
> may still lose some functionality over your desktop office suite, but not as
> much as with the HPC or PPC versions of MS products.

Yes and they are also a ton slower to open on my Jornada 720, and take
up a ton more disk space.  And believe me that 32MB's of RAM is not
enough on a Jornada 720.  For my usage, Pocket office works just fine.
Yes I do have TextMaker and PlanMaker for backups.

John

--
CERM-Church Education Resource Ministries
http://johnw.freeshell.org/bible/
2Tim. 4:2 Preach the Word; be prepared in
season and out of season; correct, rebuke
and encourage � with great patience and
careful instruction.
AIM-Crucifyself03
0
john.doggett (258)
9/18/2005 9:19:59 PM
In article <uFDG2HDvFHA.252@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>,

> Yes, it can - I routinely transfer documents in .pxl and .pwd format between
> my HPC/HPC Pro devices, and my Pocket PC.

Thanks for this.

> Since I picked up SpreadCE many moons ago for my 360LX, I also transfer
> spreadsheets in Excel 97 format, which is handy since, working for a law
> firm, my work machines all have WordPerfect Office installed.  More often
> than not, I work in RTF for documents and Excel 97 for spreadsheets, since
> the former is pretty much universal, and the latter is now readable by all
> my CE-based devices (HP 360LX, NEC MP 880, Audiovox 6600 PPC phone), and my
> work machines (WordPerfect Office 11, which includes QuatroPro).

I also use Office97 on my 98 laptop.  It works just fine, and in some
ways better than Office XP.  360LX?  Thats a slow bugger.  Why haven't
you upgraded to the Jornada 720?  The only advantages I see in keeping a
360LX over a 720 are the following.

1.  AA batteries
2.  Bigger screen
3.  Viewable in direct sunlight (I once sold a 360LX to a engineer who
needed a palmtop that could be viewed in direct sunlight that could read
Excel files.  I also imagine the alkaline batteries were a selling point
for him as it would free him from the wall).
4.  Lighter

> >> When you save in Word on the desktop there is a format for pocket pc
> >> files and a seperate format for handheld pc files.
>
> Interesting, considering I've never had a problem getting one to read the
> other.  Like I said, my PPC can read docs made by my HPCs, and vice versa.
> Perhaps this is something that got changed in later versions?
>

> > SoftMaker products save in native MS Office formats and are available for
> > HPC, PPC, Windows and Linux.  In addition, their products are more
> > compatible with MS Office than Microsoft's own PocketOffice versions.  You
> > may still lose some functionality over your desktop office suite, but not
> > as
> > much as with the HPC or PPC versions of MS products.
> >

> Looks pretty decent.  From their site, though, it doesn't look like it
> supports WordPerfect or Quatro Pro files.  Am I correct in this?
>
> --Jason

John

--
CERM-Church Education Resource Ministries
http://johnw.freeshell.org/bible/
2Tim. 4:2 Preach the Word; be prepared in
season and out of season; correct, rebuke
and encourage � with great patience and
careful instruction.
AIM-Crucifyself03
0
john.doggett (258)
9/18/2005 9:28:55 PM
I tested a 200LX and loved it.  I'd like to own one.  I do have a spare Win
98 laptop to aide my Ibook G4 in the event it crashes, which recently
happened, and it is know on the way to Apple.

I have a Zire 72 which syncs to my ibook.  I love my Zire, but hate the
battery life.  The Zire has many advantages over my old Palm VIIx, but many
disadvantages.  A 200LX would win in some areas but lose in others.  But
then again perhaps it may be better using a normal digital camera, tape
recorder, and laptop for the Zire's limited multimedia abilities.

John

"KJ" <news3@SLETMIG.bifrostnet.dk> wrote in message
> Bible John <john.doggett@x-files.gov> wrote:
>
> Some years ago I was an avid HPLX user. Recently I again bought a used
> HP200lx on ebay for pretty much the same reasons as you list.
>
> After having used it for some months (again) I must say that there are a
> lot of features in the HP200lx that seems to have been forgotten in most
> newer pda's and hpc's (the great keyboard and standard batteres are just
> some of the most important examples).
>
> I use an128 Mb Sanddisk cfcard and a cfcard-pcmcia as disk. Only
> drawback is some seconds waiting the first time you browse a directory
> after powering the HPLX. When I want to move data  I simply put the card
> into my standard cf-card reader and move the files around.
>
> I mostly use standard DOS apps. I almost never use the built-in apps
> other than the lotus123 which fileformat works fine with excel among
> other newer apps. For the editor which is nice when wanting a low
> resolution (big letters) I sometimes use an rtf converter.
>
> For text editing I also have a stripped down version of WordPerfect 5.1.
> I even do a little programming using Turbo C 2.0, which is available for
> free at borland.com. For browsing I use Norton Commander.
>
> I have written a DOS (and linux and osx) program that handles Garmin GPS
> synchronization for the newer etrex and gps60 series among other. This
> is one of my main tasks aside from writing text when on the move.
>
> I have  managed to get GPRS working including pop3 mail, ftp and irc,
> but I am having some nasty DNS problems with some applications though.
>
> Well these are my experiences. There a problably a lot of different
> opinions on this matter. I would go for a palm for everyday calendar use
> and a hp100/200lx for most other things (including travelling and
> backpacking).
>
> KJ
> --
> http://www.cetusgps.dk
> http://www.oz1sun.dk

0
john.doggett (258)
9/20/2005 5:34:19 AM
Captain's log. On StarDate Wed, 14 Sep 2005 09:48:08 -0700 received comm from
Bible John <john.doggett@x-files.gov> on channel comp.os.ms-windows.ce:

Hi!

: I keep thinking about doing this.  The HPC world is DEAD, as their is
: virtually no new software being developed, and virtually NO SUPPORT. The

Yes, I sometimes use my HP 680, but mostly only when I need a small portable
Excel machine (not very often these days).

: If I did sell and move to a PocketPC what would you recommend?  I may

For me (as a Jornada replacement); one with build in keyboard, GSM/3G and WiFi.

I was you I would check out this one:
http://www.t-mobile.de/shop/handy/1,4855,2963-_4234-0-4-0,00.html
http://www.brighthand.com/article/Carriers_Confirm_Details_on_HTC_Universal?site=PPC

: thought about the Dell PocketPC's.  Another major drag about doing this,
: is that I would lose all my software, and not every file may convert.

Some Windows CE ISV's has Windows Mobile versions of their old software, so I
should check out if it would be possible to upgrade some of those.

: The DOS machine also cannot use wifi or a web browser, so it may act
: more as a cute little organizer, rather than another computer.

Today I use my WM smartphone as my daily organizer (Qtek 8010, same as Audiovox
SMT 5600), and I like it a lot because it's much smaller and easier to always
bring with me compared to a full fledged palmtop/handheld.

What I do miss is a small build in qwerty keyboard. I know that I can buy a
separate bluetooth keyboard (and have thought about doing so), but it won't be
the same thing as having a build in one. Personally I would like to see a device
with a small keyboard like my old Psion Series 3a (or Sienna). I'm currently
looking at the upcoming Motorola "Q" or the newly announced Windows Mobile based
Palm Treo.

http://www.motorola.com/motoinfo/product/details/0,,113,00.html
http://www.palm.com/us/company/?creativeID=RFB_windows_20050927

Best regards,

martin

--
Martin T�rnsten - http://martin.tornsten.com/
0
[...]

10/2/2005 3:42:58 AM
On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 18:40:55 +0100, petrolcan
<michael@REMOVEcont.me.uk> wrote:

>>>In article <john.doggett-766513.09480814092005@news.charter.net>, Bible
>>>John says...

>>>Tried asking god?

When my J720's display stopped working, The repair cost was
more than a Palm Zire 71, so instead of making HP richer,
the move to the zire was a natural, and i've never regretted
it.  There's an infinitely larger software base for the palm
OS, and repairs are less expensive than HP.
HP plans this type of obsolescence, using the release of new
products as a mechanism to eliminate support costs for
products like the Jornada.  Having had my fill of printers
that fail shortly after the warranty runs out, my decision
to buy a laptop will not go to HP regardless how atrtractive
their prices become.  In my book, HP has become a "last
choice" vendor.I'm very happy with my PalmZire71.
-----Expertise is not self-proclaimed.  It is an honor awarded by your peers-----
MB
0
spyD (3)

TO Jason Donahue:Re: Should I sell my J720 and move to a PocketPC or DOS Palmtop?
In article <uFDG2HDvFHA.252@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, > >> > >> >PocketPC users can your systems read .pwd doc files? HPC stores its > >> >Word files in this format. How about .pxl? > > Yes, it can - I routinely transfer documents in .pxl and .pwd format between > my HPC/HPC Pro devices, and my Pocket PC. Thanks for this. > > Since I picked up SpreadCE many moons ago for my 360LX, I also transfer > spreadsheets in Excel 97 format, which is handy since, working for a law > firm, my work machines all have WordPerfect Office inst...

28 DOS fallacies. DOS palmtop vs. Win CE/PPC palmtops
http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~ak621/DOS/DOS-Fal.html I would have to agree with many of these. But I think DOS should always be used in conjunction with Windows instead of replacing it. But then again this depends on the scanario. As for me how much I wish I would have known about the HP 200LX DOS palmtop PC (http://www.daniel-hertrich.de/200lx/) before I went Windows CE. Some CE screenshots http://johnw.freeshell.org/graphics/HPCbackground.BMP http://johnw.freeshell.org/graphics/hpc/pine.jpg http://johnw.freeshell.org/graphics/hpc/ Having tested a HP 200LX I can vouch that this m...

palmtop
Can I run IL-2 FB on a palmtop? Master wrote: > > Can I run IL-2 FB on a palmtop? The question naturally arises: what will you use for a joystick? ;-) Depends what kind of palmtop you have... A palmtop can be anything between a palmpilot to a micro laptop. does it have windows xp installed? -Tim "Master" <nl__StefanNOO@SPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message news:Xns93B3735654A47stefanhotmailcom@130.139.56.200... > Can I run IL-2 FB on a palmtop? ...

Looking for old DOS based palmtops
If you have any for sale then you can reach me on the tankraider.com forums, just post there. ...

Who still uses a 200LX or DOS LX Palmtop?
If so what are your uses? I bid on one on ebay and hope to finally playu with one. I played with a 95LX but was not impressed. John -- 1Cor. 1:18 � For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. (Read John MacArthur's "Ashamed of the Gospel" when the church becomes like the world). John wrote: > If so what are your uses? I bid on one on ebay and hope to finally > playu with one. I played with a 95LX but was not impressed. > > > John > -- > 1Cor. 1:1...

Why are retail companies ditching DOS and moving to PocketPC/Palm?
I worked at a retail store for 4 years from 1997-2001,2002. During my tenure there all the registers in the chain were using DOS, the receiving system was using Liniux/Unix, and the telezon guns were using DOS. Sadly today walking into any store in the massive chain the registers are using Windows and the Telezon guns are using PocketPC or Palm. Once I was given a tour of the new guns. What a sad joke. The DOS based machines were faster, did not require a stylus, and were easier to use once you got the hang of them. The same can be said of the DOS based registers. Are people a...

Sell Sell Sell MSFT
Insider Purchases - Last 6 Months Shares Trans Purchases N/A 0 Sales 60,415,500 34 http://finance.yahoo.com/q/it?s=MSFT John Bailo wrote: > Insider Purchases - Last 6 Months > > Shares Trans > Purchases N/A 0 > Sales 60,415,500 34 > > > http://finance.yahoo.com/q/it?s=MSFT TOL also happens to be up about 300% for the year. This means absolutely nothing. Look at Toll Brothers (TOL) for example. Bob & Bruce Toll sold milliions of their shares. On a percentage basis the selling is much more significant than what was sold at MSFT. TOL happen...

Notification on palmtop
I am looking to develop a notification system for a autonomous machine. The machine should notify the user when something goes wrong etc. My question is, is it possible to notify the user on his palmtop something is wrong with the machine? The palmtop computer should give an notification by means of a e.g. a sound or something to notify the user on the moment the machine wants to notify the user? Thanks, Tymen Yes application can set timers to check for stuff. Like Alarm Clock programs "@Tymen" wrote: > I am looking to develop a notification system for a autonomous machine...

What can a palmtop do?
Hi, I'm thinking about buying a palmtop, but I need to be sure that it will be able to do what I want it to. So my question is what is the best handheld OS so far? I would like to be able to do as much as possible of the following: Edit: - Word - Excell - PowerPoint - RichTextFormat - ASCII (Syntax Highlighting) View: - browse the web with JavaScript and HTTPS support - browse local HTML files - native PDF - bitmap/JPEG/GIF/PNG and other graphic files Play: - mp3 - streaming Real audio/video - other audio/video formats Run: - simple Java aplications - simple Perl scripts Other: - teln...

Palmtop comparison
One thing I get asked for a lot is 'Which current mobile solution do I buy to replace my Psion?'. I've put up a fairly comprehensive grid of scored features at http://3lib.ukonline.co.uk/grid.htm . The top two came out as the Sony Ericsson P900 and the O2 XDA II. Comments welcome! ____________________________________________________________________ Steve Litchfield, 3-Lib, http://3lib.ukonline.co.uk/ Software and features for Psion/Symbian handhelds and smartphones Also PocketInfo, useful files - http://3lib.ukonline.co.uk/pocketinfo Journalism: sub-editor and/or se...

Palmtop choices...
Hello everyone. I am trying to make a very tough decision about a possible palmtop. I need something small that I could write, check e-mail, possibly, and, possibly, program C with. I also need it to have a small but decent keyboard and PCMCIA or CF. I would like a DOS based machine, but I have found Psion's EPOC machines very cool. The device, theoretically, would be a small laptop that runs on AAs and has some sort of ROM-based operating system and applications. Old subnotebooks' batteries wear out easily. I also do not want something brand new unless there is a small, affordable dev...

games for palmtop?
maybe palmtops should have games like those of a handheld. it will make having a palmtop more fun. what do u think? Hello! Silvserv wrote: > maybe palmtops should have games like those of a handheld. it will > make having a palmtop more fun. what do u think? Well, _what is_ the difference of a handheld to a palmtop? Sorry for asking so stupid, but I'm not sure what Your point is... :-/ If I considere Your question right, You are putting a GameBoy/Pocket/Color/Advanced/Advanced SP in the group of handhelds? Yes, Palmtops could be more sophisticated in being a gaming platform. O...

Palmtops and batteries
I have been put off palmtop devices a little since I found out that the batteries lose their capacity to hold a charge fairly quickly and replacing them is prohibitively expensive. I have heard quite a lot of people say this. Does anyone have any experience to the contrary? On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 22:49:18 +0100, "C Tate" <colin@nobodyhere.mrcrtate.fsnet.co.uk> wrote: >I have been put off palmtop devices a little since I found out that the >batteries lose their capacity to hold a charge fairly quickly and replacing >them is prohibitively expensive. I have he...

Can we do a alter sys index rebuild and alter sys table move?
Deal group, We are running Oracle 10.2.0.4 on linux. Because an application problem, our aud$ table goes way too big, 20G. That caused our system tablespace to 25G So we moved aud$ out of system tablespace. But we cannot shrink the system tablespace datafile becuase there are afew indexes belonging to sys and one table at the high level of datafile. I opened an TAR with Oracle, Oracle suggests me to do an export/ import, that is not possible I am so attempted to do alter index sys.xx rebuild tablespace users; shrink the datafile and rebuild it back. I tried to do it in a ...

Can we do a alter sys index rebuild and alter sys table move?
Deal group, We are running Oracle 10.2.0.4 on linux. Because an application problem, our aud$ table goes way too big, 20G. That caused our system tablespace to 25G So we moved aud$ out of system tablespace. But we cannot shrink the system tablespace datafile becuase there are afew indexes belonging to sys and one table at the high level of datafile. I opened an TAR with Oracle, Oracle suggests me to do an export/ import, that is not possible I am so attempted to do alter index sys.xx rebuild tablespace users; shrink the datafile and rebuild it back. I tried to do it in a ...

New to the HPLX Palmtop
Just got myself a nice used HP 95LX on ebay. Was looking around for some assistance and ran into this group. I'm not big on computers, but once and a while I may shoot out something for tips. Are there any trustworthy HPLX folk here? Thanks, Kevin ...

Best Palmtop for Bookreader?
I'm getting a mite tired of reading ebooks off the computer, and am looking for a palmtop suitable for use as a bookreader. This means good screen resolution, long lasting battery power, a reasonable amount of storage (I might consider as low as 8M, but would actually prefer more), an easy way to connect to my PC (I'm pretty sure I can handle WiFi or USB, not as sure about Bluetooth), and the ability to read HTML would be nice, but it's not that hard to convert to Word or plain text on the main computer before downloading to the unit. It should also fit in my pocket, and ...

Re: poplog on palmtops
[Using Bcc for original address.] On Fri, 13 May 2005, Andrzej Ritz wrote: > Linux runs on a number of Palmtops, some of which are listed on the > following site: > > http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/palmtops.html > > There is also a commercial version of Linux for embeded applications > (see the attached pdf). Would porting mini-poplog to platforms like > uClinux be such a big task? Because poplog compiles itself, both when the core system is built and when user code is incrementally compiled to machine code, nobody else's compiler can be u...

HP 95LX Palmtop
Does anyone here still use an HP 95LX? I've been using one since 91', I have a backup for when this one dies (and it is beginning - screen connection intermmitant). I own a couple of Palms and the screens are a lot better but I still enjoy the simple functionality of the LX. Why doesn't HP bring back some of their "Retros" with some modern punch like the auto industry has done with the Mini, The Bug, Mustang, etc. I think it would be a hit beyond their wildest belief, plus it would be based upon something they are already doing. Hopefully, selling into a market they understand and have already connected with. Merging with Compaq??? What was that all about? Take a cue from the Porsche 911..... don't invent...... just re-invent the successful. Jimmy Yeah, I have one. I also have a Sony TJ37. I've found that the HP was great when I first got it, and it was on my hip almost 24-7. I'm an engineer, and the solving calculator was a godsend. But you can get freeware for the TJ that just blows the HP out of the water anymore, the battery life is hugely better, the display is easier to read, and it's much easier to carry around. So now my 95 sits at home while my Palm goes everywhere. I just wish the TJ had a keyboard. I hate graffiti, and the popup keyboards are a pain the the rear. Mike "Jimmy Smith" <nospam@pleaseno.more> wrote in news:UBSPd.10102$pE1.5664@bignews3.bellsouth.net: > Does anyone h...

Palmtop index database
Where can I get hold of an up-to-date version of the Palmtop Magazine index database? -- Graham Thurlwell Jades' First Encounters Site http://www.jades.org/ffe.htm ...

palmtop suggestions
Hi, Can anyone tell me some expiriences with using iPAQ-s? I am about to get iPAQ rx4240 and I am wondering about writing text and e-mails in/on it. I looked some official sites and some revues and noone mentioned anything about it. It would be great if en external keyboard could be attachet to it (though I haven't found one that can) so I am asking for help on that qouestion too. I am looking for a palm computer that I can write texts and exchange e-mails on the road and this model seems like wise solution. Am I right or you have some other oppignion? Laptop is too clumbsy and is...

palmtops and PHP Sessions
In my job we have a web-based database (PHP, HTML, PostrgreSQL) where our representants from other cities can log in and check prices etc. I wonder if such system works on palmtops - i am worried about PHP Sessions and cookies handling by palmtop's web browser. Will it work? The idea is to get acces to our system via gprs. Please, advice me. Thanks. ...

best Linux palmtop?
I've been nosing around looking for a good linux based palm-top. I've been leaning towards installing my own linux (e.g. iPAQ instead of Sharp); but I'm really just looking for more of the open-source types of tools (I use linux primarily at home, and am tired of cobbling together things for PalmOS - and the T5 doesn't seem to have a good unix available). If, for now, I'm looking for something to noodle around with -- what are people's preferred approach for doing this? The Sharps look pretty nice, but a little pricey when I can't get a touch-n-feel type of thin...

Palmtop wanted for beginner
Hi, My father wants a cheap palmtop that will act as a calendar. The only requirement really is that is easly syncronises to an Outlook calendar running on an Exchange server, so that other users can view his appointments. I realise that if we go with Pocket PC and Active Sync, we can also do the syncing remotely, but at the moment this isn't really needed. Not a high budget, so cheap and cheerful is good! Any suggestions gratefully received, Andrew. -- Andrew Hodgson in Bromyard, Herefordshire, UK. My Email: use <andrew at hodgsonfamily dot org>. I'd check out eBay for ...

Web resources about - Should I sell my J720 and move to a PocketPC or DOS Palmtop? - comp.sys.palmtops

Pocketpc Articles on Engadget - Page 3
Pocketpc articles, stories, news and information.

HTC 'Blue Angel' Wi-Fi PocketPC phone
... O2 XDA IIs, Orange M2000 etc, etc I've saved the best feature until last. I said earlier that out of box, Blue Angel looks like a typical PocketPC ...

Plugged In media and technology blog - Business - The National
The latest word from the world of media, telecoms and technology.

Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fourth Edition: DSM ... - American Psychiatric ...
... of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fourth Edition, Text Revision, is now available for both Palm OS and PocketPC ...

ACCESS - Advanced Software Solutions - Mobile, Embedded, Connected TV, Connected Home, Automotive, Digital ...
ACCESS is a global provider of advanced software solutions and services to the mobile, embedded, connected TV, connected home, automotive, digital ...

Photogallery - 360 Degree Aerial Panorama - 3D Virtual Tours Around the World - Photos of the Most Interesting ...
Our team is focused on hi-resolution 3D aerial panoramas and 3D Virtual Tours Around the World. We also love to do a classic landscape photography ...

HTC Countersues Apple over iPhone Patent Infringement - John Paczkowski - Mobile - AllThingsD
HTC has finally added some teeth to its "strong disagreement" with Apple’s allegations of patent infringement. This morning, the company filed ...

HTC Returns Fire, Sues Apple for Patent Infringement
"As the innovator of the original Windows Mobile PocketPC Phone Edition in 2002 and the first Android smartphone in 2008, HTC believes the industry ...

Shopping Cart
Shopping Cart

Services
Aspecto Software is available to do consultancy and very reasonably priced contract work. We are Computing Science PhD students and are very ...