Multithreaded C code on a PS3 under linux

Hi,

I'm wondering if I write multithreaded C code or whatever on the PS3
using GCC or whatever, will the multiple threads make use of the 7 spu
processing cores available? If not how exactly do you go about
utilizing these cores through linux?

Thanks so much for any help.
0
sophie_newbie
3/18/2008 11:51:15 PM
comp.sys.powerpc.tech 819 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

In article
<c381adf3-7a7f-4faf-81eb-602f560749b5@u10g2000prn.googlegroups.com>,
 sophie_newbie <paulgeeleher@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm wondering if I write multithreaded C code or whatever on the PS3
> using GCC or whatever, will the multiple threads make use of the 7 spu
> processing cores available?

No.

> If not how exactly do you go about
> utilizing these cores through linux?

Get the Cell SDK and tutorials from
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/power/cell/

Jonas
0
Jonas
3/19/2008 8:34:54 AM
Just an update check, is there any new info on the PS3 peripheral
chips?
I mean enough to be able to program the thing from scratch.
Was far from that last time I checked and I do not anticipate much
change,
just checking in case someone would have some news.

Dimiter

Dimiter Popoff               Transgalactic Instruments

http://www.tgi-sci.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/didi_tgi/sets/72157600228621276/

Jonas Maebe wrote:
> In article
> <c381adf3-7a7f-4faf-81eb-602f560749b5@u10g2000prn.googlegroups.com>,
>  sophie_newbie <paulgeeleher@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm wondering if I write multithreaded C code or whatever on the PS3
> > using GCC or whatever, will the multiple threads make use of the 7 spu
> > processing cores available?
>
> No.
>
> > If not how exactly do you go about
> > utilizing these cores through linux?