PSION3a How to download apps?

Tidying up the other day I found my old 3a (512kb),  its been buried in the
junk for over 6 years.  The only accesories I have are the parallel
connector for a centronics printer and a 3FAX modem.  Apart from a dead
backup battery it's fine.

I have a 1MB memory card somewhere.

Two questions - has anyone some source code to drive the parallel port so
that I can drive some external hardware (I only need one output  and one
input bit for the task)

Secondly,  how can I get a downloader onto the Psion to take advantage of
all the stuff thats appeared on the web?

TIA

Steve

0
Steve
2/18/2006 1:13:37 PM
comp.sys.psion.apps 344 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Steve wrote:
> Tidying up the other day I found my old 3a (512kb),  its been buried
> in the junk for over 6 years.  The only accesories I have are the
> parallel connector for a centronics printer and a 3FAX modem.  Apart
> from a dead backup battery it's fine.
>
> I have a 1MB memory card somewhere.
>
> Two questions - has anyone some source code to drive the parallel
> port so that I can drive some external hardware (I only need one
> output  and one input bit for the task)
>
> Secondly,  how can I get a downloader onto the Psion to take
> advantage of all the stuff thats appeared on the web?
>
> TIA
>
> Steve

The parallel port doesn't do input though there must be a handshake line for
flow control so that must be possible. The pin-outs must be standard but I
don't know what they are! To do output all you need to do is

LOPEN "PAR:A"

LPRINT "Hello world..."

- at least according to the programming manual.

You need to find your serial "soap on a rope" cable to do any downloading
and that might be easier for interfacing too, at least using something like
the
serial interface card from Maplin.

Have retro fun; Mike.
--
If reply address = connectfee, add an r because it is free not fee.

0
Mike
2/18/2006 4:54:58 PM
"Mike Coon" <mjcoon@@connectfee.co.uk> wrote in message
> Steve wrote:
>> Tidying up the other day I found my old 3a (512kb),  its been buried
>> in the junk for over 6 years.  The only accesories I have are the
>> parallel connector for a centronics printer and a 3FAX modem.  Apart
>> from a dead backup battery it's fine.
>>
>> I have a 1MB memory card somewhere.
>>
>> Two questions - has anyone some source code to drive the parallel
>> port so that I can drive some external hardware (I only need one
>> output  and one input bit for the task)
>>
>> Secondly,  how can I get a downloader onto the Psion to take
>> advantage of all the stuff thats appeared on the web?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Steve
>

> The parallel port doesn't do input though there must be a handshake line
> for
> flow control so that must be possible. The pin-outs must be standard but I
> don't know what they are! To do output all you need to do is
>
> LOPEN "PAR:A"
>
> LPRINT "Hello world..."
>
> - at least according to the programming manual.

I need to be able to write a routine that handles the parallel port to get
access to the handshake bit.  Looking at the sophistication of the serial
port handling it might be "too difficult", particularly if the electronics
is in the centronics plug and not "on board".

> You need to find your serial "soap on a rope" cable to do any downloading
> and that might be easier for interfacing too, at least using something
> like
> the
> serial interface card from Maplin.
>
> Have retro fun; Mike.
> --

Thanks - I'll have to find a "soap on rope" interface on eBAY,  I know I
don't have one!   I wonder if I could use a null modem from the 3FAX to the
modem port on the PC?

Steve

Steve

0
Steve
2/19/2006 2:07:12 PM
Steve wrote:
> I need to be able to write a routine that handles the parallel port
> to get access to the handshake bit.  Looking at the sophistication of
> the serial port handling it might be "too difficult", particularly if
> the electronics is in the centronics plug and not "on board".

That is certainly where it is; the cable to the Psion carries their
proprietary serial interface through six lines one of which I think carries
power.

>> You need to find your serial "soap on a rope" cable to do any
>> downloading and that might be easier for interfacing too, at least
>> using something like
>> the
>> serial interface card from Maplin.
>>
>> Have retro fun; Mike.
>> --
>
> Thanks - I'll have to find a "soap on rope" interface on eBAY,  I
> know I don't have one!   I wonder if I could use a null modem from
> the 3FAX to the modem port on the PC?

If the 3Fax plugs directly into the Psion through what I just called "their
proprietary serial interface" then I don't understand how you could use what
is normally called a "null modem", which just swaps the signal and handshake
lines of the RS232 interface. But you could connect the 3Fax to a real modem
and pretend to "dial", I suppose!

Cheers, Mike.
--
If reply address = connectfee, add an r because it is free not fee.

0
Mike
2/19/2006 9:06:52 PM
Hi Steve,

You might also try http://www.psionex.co.uk/.

As regards connecting/transferring, once you've got the serial link you can connect with any computer with a serial port.

There is a free unzip utility for SiBO that I use on my 3c.
I can send it to you but I think it's on my website (http://www.aypee.me.uk/).
If you transfer it (uncompressed) to your 3a you can the move files to the 3a zipped up.
This is advantageous as you can transfer several files at one time rather than each individually.

If, however, you also want to zip on the Psion you need RMRZip, shareware for SiBO (http://www.rmrsoft.com/).

Take care,
Phil.

"Time wounds all heels."

http://uk.geocities.com/philadkinsp/diabetes.html
http://www.aypee.me.uk/index.html
0
phil
2/21/2006 1:59:38 PM
> (I only need one output and one input bit for the task)

    If that is so, I suggest that you analyse the proprietary serial
protocol that Psion uses to communicate with all the "soap on a rope"
and other extension hardware. It's basically the Philips' I2C protocol
but using a much higher speed.

    But of course writing one bit in the eight bit parallel output and
sensing e.g. the "Out Of Paper" input bit for input, could be done, but
don't expect high speed for that variant... :)

> Secondly,  how can I get a downloader onto the Psion to take advantage of
> all the stuff thats appeared on the web?

    My guess is that, as already has been suggested, the best approach
would be to get the 3Link cable. It will certainly get your S3 connected
to your PC.

    Not knowing what that FAX thing, that you are talking about, is
doing, I did however react to the word 'modem'. If it's really a modem,
then, yes indeed you should be able to at least hook up the S3 to your
PC with a modem on the PC end and a phone line connected between the
two. And programs like Windows Commander does great serial communication
even over modems.

--
  FidoNet in your news reader:    news://felten.yi.org
  For full access, register at:   http://felten.yi.org/join.html
"Bj�rn Felten" <abuse@telia.com> wrote in message
>> (I only need one output and one input bit for the task)
>
>    If that is so, I suggest that you analyse the proprietary serial
> protocol that Psion uses to communicate with all the "soap on a rope" and
> other extension hardware. It's basically the Philips' I2C protocol but
> using a much higher speed.
>
>    But of course writing one bit in the eight bit parallel output and
> sensing e.g. the "Out Of Paper" input bit for input, could be done, but
> don't expect high speed for that variant... :)

That means there must be at least two input bits then,  "printer ready" and
"out of paper" so the printer lead is looking more useful already.  DOes
anyone have the programming rules/location of the port?

>> Secondly,  how can I get a downloader onto the Psion to take advantage of
>> all the stuff thats appeared on the web?
>
>    My guess is that, as already has been suggested, the best approach
> would be to get the 3Link cable. It will certainly get your S3 connected
> to your PC.
>
>    Not knowing what that FAX thing, that you are talking about, is doing,
> I did however react to the word 'modem'. If it's really a modem, then, yes
> indeed you should be able to at least hook up the S3 to your PC with a
> modem on the PC end and a phone line connected between the two. And
> programs like Windows Commander does great serial communication even over
> modems.

3FAX is a "proper" telephone modem.  So I could plug the psion in one phone
line and dial the PC on another!!  Crazy,  but without the soap on a rope
serial connector looks like "game on".  A null modem between the two would
mean thinking about configs regarding dial tone,  but I think I ill try
dialling my PC.  Good for a laugh anyway!

> --
Thanks for all your comments guys.

Steve

0
Steve
2/23/2006 2:27:27 PM
> That means there must be at least two input bits then,

    On a proper printer port there should be four inputs. I don't know,
from the top of my head, what four those might be, but I guess it
wouldn't be too hard to find out.

> Thanks for all your comments guys.

    That's what we do so good in this medium, you know: brainstorming.
You might not get exactly the answer you are looking for, but maybe some
thoughts to get you going in the right direction. :)

--
  FidoNet in your news reader:    news://felten.yi.org
  For full access, register at:   http://felten.yi.org/join.html
0
ISO
2/23/2006 6:01:17 PM
Bj�rn Felten wrote:
>> (I only need one output and one input bit for the task)
>
>    If that is so, I suggest that you analyse the proprietary serial
> protocol that Psion uses to communicate with all the "soap on a rope"
> and other extension hardware. It's basically the Philips' I2C protocol
> but using a much higher speed.
>
>    But of course writing one bit in the eight bit parallel output and
> sensing e.g. the "Out Of Paper" input bit for input, could be done,
> but don't expect high speed for that variant... :)
>
>> Secondly,  how can I get a downloader onto the Psion to take
>> advantage of all the stuff thats appeared on the web?
>
>    My guess is that, as already has been suggested, the best approach
> would be to get the 3Link cable. It will certainly get your S3
> connected to your PC.
>
>    Not knowing what that FAX thing, that you are talking about, is
> doing, I did however react to the word 'modem'. If it's really a
> modem, then, yes indeed you should be able to at least hook up the S3
> to your PC with a modem on the PC end and a phone line connected
> between the two. And programs like Windows Commander does great
> serial communication even over modems.

When I seized on the idea of the 3Fax I wasn't really thinking straight.
First there's the problem of convincing a modem to do its thing without a
real phone line. (I hadn't thought you'd would want to use two actual
lines!) Second there's the problem of driving the modem at the Psion end and
doing anything useful. Other Psion 3-s have the Comms application but on the
Psion 3A it is actually held in the 3Link and has to be installed from
there. So without some other way of getting a communication and file
transfer program into the Psion (Kermit on SSD, perhaps) there would be no
way of getting started. (Well, you could type in program source if a real
masochist!)

Cheers, Mike.
--
If reply address = connectfee, add an r because it is free not fee.

0
Mike
2/23/2006 8:03:07 PM
> Bj�rn Felten wrote:
>>> (I only need one output and one input bit for the task)
>>
>>    If that is so, I suggest that you analyse the proprietary serial
>> protocol that Psion uses to communicate with all the "soap on a rope"
>> and other extension hardware. It's basically the Philips' I2C protocol
>> but using a much higher speed.
>>
>>    But of course writing one bit in the eight bit parallel output and
>> sensing e.g. the "Out Of Paper" input bit for input, could be done,
>> but don't expect high speed for that variant... :)
>>
>>> Secondly,  how can I get a downloader onto the Psion to take
>>> advantage of all the stuff thats appeared on the web?
>>
>>    My guess is that, as already has been suggested, the best approach
>> would be to get the 3Link cable. It will certainly get your S3
>> connected to your PC.
>>
>>    Not knowing what that FAX thing, that you are talking about, is
>> doing, I did however react to the word 'modem'. If it's really a
>> modem, then, yes indeed you should be able to at least hook up the S3
>> to your PC with a modem on the PC end and a phone line connected
>> between the two. And programs like Windows Commander does great
>> serial communication even over modems.
>

> When I seized on the idea of the 3Fax I wasn't really thinking straight.
> First there's the problem of convincing a modem to do its thing without a
> real phone line. (I hadn't thought you'd would want to use two actual
> lines!) Second there's the problem of driving the modem at the Psion end
> and
> doing anything useful. Other Psion 3-s have the Comms application but on
> the
> Psion 3A it is actually held in the 3Link and has to be installed from
> there. So without some other way of getting a communication and file
> transfer program into the Psion (Kermit on SSD, perhaps) there would be no
> way of getting started. (Well, you could type in program source if a real
> masochist!)

Well I got the Psion to dial the Laptop OK,  except XP wants to speak "IP"
to the Psion  which of course means I need an IP stack for the Psion,  or
work out how to get XP to allow the Psion Manager software direct access to
COM3 (which is where the modem is).

The two machines will agree a data rate,  so that bit is OK.

If I don't set up the laptop port to allow incoming calls,  then the modem
won't answer the Psion.

Sounds like "soap on a rope" is the way to go!  Otherwise I'm back to not
having the software on the Psion to actually do ay data transfer.

Steve

0
Steve

Hovsepian: Apps! Apps! Apps!
Novell CEO: Apps Are Job No. 1 for Linux http://www.cio-today.com/story.xhtml?story_id=021001VE8HV3 <<< In order for Linux to grow into the computing mainstream, the open- source OS needs more applications and a standardized approach to software certification, Novell CEO Ron Hovsepian said in his keynote Wednesday at the LinuxWorld conference and trade show in San Francisco. "The No. 1 thing that we need on Linux is applications," he said. "Whether we like it or not, the application is what drives the final customer decision," he added. >>> John Bail...

App Store app -- already have downloads
I opened the app and looked for things I needed to download. It gave me two things I had downloaded a couple of weeks ago. How do I get rid of this old information? Robert Peirce <bob@peirce-family.com> wrote: > I opened the app and looked for things I needed to download. It gave me > two things I had downloaded a couple of weeks ago. How do I get rid of > this old information? No answer. Related query. ITunes on my laptop tells me there's an app waiting somewhere, but it never downloads to either laptop or iPad. Weirdness. -- Erilar, biblioholic medievalist ...

Crypto-Apps: Ciphers App-1 and App-2.
These ciphers are available now for free downloading from, http://www.adacryptpages.com (navigate to the bottom title boxes). Crypto-App Ciphers - Apps_1 & 2. - Personalised Cryptography for Tablets, L= aptops, Desktop, Main Frame Computers in Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8. Download App_1=20 Download App_2=20 No need to study the cryptography, the mathematics, the programming, the co= mputer science (unless you really want to and then you just peruse the othe= r title boxes on the same site) - instead, just teach yourself to run these= 'apps' as you would any other app...

An app to find apps
Enjoying an IPad 3 and wondered if there is an app to search for and find apps. With 600,000 apps it might make sense. In article <johg9a$dal$1@dont-email.me>, Charles <charlesschuler@comcast.net> wrote: > Enjoying an IPad 3 and wondered if there is an app to search for and find > apps. With 600,000 apps it might make sense. the app store app, along with a number of other apps that list apps of the day or other things. or just launch safari (or another browser) and search via google. On Thu, 10 May 2012 18:42:50 -0400, Charles wrote: > Enjoying ...

App Store.app
I just updated to 10.6.6, and was playing with the App Store.app. I wanted to DL a couple of the free apps, but discovered that to DL _anything_, you need to register a credit card. Since I dislike leaving any credit card info in any vendor's database, I'm wondering if there's a way to avoid this part of the registration process, entering your credit card info ONLY when needed to make a specific purchase. -- iMac (27", 3.2 GHz Intel Core i3, 4 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD) � OS X (10.6.6) On 28/01/11 17:29, Nick Naym wrote: > I just updated to 10.6.6, and was playing with ...

Too late Google, malware apps (official apps) were downloaded at least 70,000 times.
"Google's official app market found hosting malicious Android apps- *again* " http://arstechnica.com/business/news/2012/04/googles-official-app-market-found-hosting-malicious-android-appsagain.ars Hey "7" , what about your claim that Google removes malicious apps, within seconds?, were you just lying? Please apologize for your lie before this newsgroup. -- Turd chrisv in COLA: Turd chrisv lying about the iPad: "Hell, I thought all-along that it would be a success." http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/msg/3d83510112466afb?hl=nl Turd c...

Swing app to Web app
Hi, I have JavaSwing application and I need to create equivalent web application. In current Swing app, JTable and JList are components where large amount of data need to be displayed in the components ie. 90,000 records. With the help of TableDataSource and JDBC2.0 can display the records in chunks of 100 by scrolling JTable. Based on JTable's scroll position database can be queried and fetch required records and this approach is fast. How to create an equivalent web application using HTML table and how to handle displaying 90,000 records? or Is it required to create Swing Applet in HT...

VB6 App on top of all other apps
How can I run a VB6 app which will pop-up its form on top of all other Windows programs currently running? Just like instant messages behave. It is an urgent reminder which times out after a specified time. Initial use is to warn that the server will shortly go off-line. Private Declare Function SetWindowPos Lib "user32" (ByVal Hwnd _ As Long, ByVal hWndInsertAfter As Long, _ ByVal x As Long, ByVal y As Long, _ ByVal cx As Long, ByVal cy As Long, ByVal _ wFlags As Long) As Long Const SWP_NOMOVE = &a...

Update app from within the app
I would like to offer the ability to update my app from a menu option (i.e. check for update). However I really have no idea how to implement it. Can anyone point me in the right direction? On 2/27/11 7:33 PM, Nickname unavailable wrote: > I would like to offer the ability to update my app from a menu option > (i.e. check for update). However I really have no idea how to > implement it. > > Can anyone point me in the right direction? There are several ways to do this, depending on how in-depth you want to go. The simplest part is to store a file on a server som...

app-to-app message exchange
I'm probably not using the correct terms, so please excuse... I need to have a ruby app that loops and keeps a serial port open, essentially listening every second or so. then I need to send messages to that serial port app so that it can send outgoing messages, as in a queue fashion, from other ruby apps. Is there a gem that can handle cross ruby application message queues? -- Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/. Karl Smith wrote: > I'm probably not using the correct terms, so please excuse... > > I need to have a ruby app that loops and keeps a serial port open, >...

Downloadable app?
Hi, I used to have a little app that ran on Windoze wherein you could change the Rules, but I can't find it now. Does anybody know a good one? Thanks, Chak -- You can no more win a war than you can win an earthquake. --Jeannette Rankin Chakolate <chakolateDeathToSpammers@gmail.com> wrote in news:Xns97D7F2CBA9C09chakolatehotmailcom@204.153.244.170: > Hi, > > I used to have a little app that ran on Windoze wherein you could > change the Rules, but I can't find it now. Does anybody know a good > one? > > Thanks, > >...

Reviewing Apps at the App Store
I do not own an iOS device, so I'm talking about the Mac App Store here. However iOS users may have similar experiences so read on. One week ago I downloaded the free miDVD app from the Mac App Store. It's a very, very bare-bones DVD creator, and I was pretty sure of its limitations from the get-go. After a couple of days I wrote a short lukewarm review of the app and posted it to the App Store. I compared it with similar free and payware products including iDVD, mentioning the fact the iLife '09 is still available at that "jungle-themed" online retailer...

How to run an app from another app
Hello, I'm trying to start an app from another. Now I use the execv system call: the secondary app starts, but the first exits! I need the execv to immediately return , and the first app to go on running. How can I do? Thank! "patrick carosso" <carossopatrick@yahoo.it> writes: > Hello, > I'm trying to start an app from another. Now I use the execv system call: > the secondary app starts, but the first exits! I need the execv to > immediately return , and the first app to go on running. > How can I do? > Thank! man fork -- M�ns Ru...

How to launch an app from another app
Hello, I need do start an app from another. Now I use then execv system call: the secondary app starts, but the first exits! I need the first to go on running! How can I do? Is there another system call? Thank you! "patrick carosso" <carossopatrick@yahoo.it> writes: > Hello, > I need do start an app from another. > Now I use then execv system call: the secondary app starts, > but the first exits! I need the first to go on running! > How can I do? Is there another system call? > Thank you! Don't multipost. -- M�ns Rullg�rd mru@mru.ath.cx patrick caros...

Web resources about - PSION3a How to download apps? - comp.sys.psion.apps

Don't Download This Song - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
" Don't Download This Song " is the first single from "Weird Al" Yankovic 's 12th studio album Straight Outta Lynwood . The song was released ...

Facebook Adds To Download Your Information
Facebook increased the amount of information users can access when they download their account histories using the social network’s Download ...

Download the Facebook IQ digital magazine - Facebook for Business
The Facebook IQ digital magazine puts all the insights, best practices and key stats in one place. Download it on your mobile and read it anywhere. ...

Downloads
Download previous versions of the Facebook for iOS SDK.

‘Silent updates’ for Android download latest version of Facebook without Google Play
... users to receive app updates without going through the Google Play store. Some Android users are now receiving “silent updates,” which download ...

Lifehacker, tips and downloads for getting things done
Lifehacker curates tips, tricks, and technology for living better in the digital age.

Technology Product Reviews, News, Prices & Downloads - PCMag.com - PC Magazine
PC Magazine is your complete guide to PC computers, peripherals and upgrades. We test and review computer- and Internet-related products and ...

Indie Music News, MP3 Downloads, Music Videos, Reviews - Stereogum
MP3s downloads, music videos, concert reviews, tour dates and contests. Updated regularly.

RN Download ThisShow (@RNDownload) on Twitter
Log in Sign up You are on Twitter Mobile because you are using an old version of Internet Explorer. Learn more here RN Download ThisShow @ RNDownload ...

Boston Download: Wayfair Launches National TV Ads, Reebok on the Chopping ...
BostInno Boston Download: Wayfair Launches National TV Ads, Reebok on the Chopping ... BostInno NewCo calls its events "festivals": Each event ...