Blender 2.34 and Python 2.1, 2.2, 2.3

If you can run python scripts in blender 2.3x, I'll be glad to know
which versions did you install.

Checking at blender.org, I found that blender 2.34 is built with
python 2.3. However, I don't want to perform an installation of python
2.3 if I'm not sure that it fixes my problem (I found some people
saying that this problem is fixed by downgrading from python 2.3 to
2.2, and also the freeware.sgi.com python is still at 2.1.1, so I've
no idea on the best option). Before playing with a custom installation
of python, I'm posting the problem here with the hope that somebody
experienced it and knows the solution).

Here it goes:

After installing Python 2.1.1 from freeware.sgi.com, setting
PYTHONHOME to /usr/freeware, and installing the officially precompiled
Blender 2.34, I still get this warning at Blender startup:

sys_init:warning - no sitedirs added from site module.

Then, when I try to run the python script, I get an error stating
"ImportError: No module named os".

And, btw, it always dumps core with segmentation fault when I quit
Blender (it doesn't matter if I tried to run the python script or not,
it still dumps core if I just start blender and quit it immediatly
without doing anything).
0
cesarbud
10/6/2004 3:44:25 PM
comp.sys.sgi.apps 498 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

cesar wrote:

> If you can run python scripts in blender 2.3x, I'll be glad to know
> which versions did you install.
>
> Checking at blender.org, I found that blender 2.34 is built with
> python 2.3. However, I don't want to perform an installation of python
> 2.3 if I'm not sure that it fixes my problem (I found some people
> saying that this problem is fixed by downgrading from python 2.3 to
> 2.2, and also the freeware.sgi.com python is still at 2.1.1, so I've
> no idea on the best option). Before playing with a custom installation
> of python, I'm posting the problem here with the hope that somebody
> experienced it and knows the solution).
>
> Here it goes:
>
> After installing Python 2.1.1 from freeware.sgi.com, setting
> PYTHONHOME to /usr/freeware, and installing the officially precompiled
> Blender 2.34, I still get this warning at Blender startup:
>
> 'import site' failed; use -v for traceback
> sys_init:warning - no sitedirs added from site module.
>
> Then, when I try to run the python script, I get an error stating
> "ImportError: No module named os".
>
> And, btw, it always dumps core with segmentation fault when I quit
> Blender (it doesn't matter if I tried to run the python script or not,
> it still dumps core if I just start blender and quit it immediatly
> without doing anything).

yeah, hos did something, and it irrevocably busted the same stuff you
mention for me as well, which is of coruse unreproducable (heh) i can't
compile it anymore, or run it for that matter either. of course the only
way to get any attention is to enter their Byzantine world of loging into
the bugtracking system. then you can be officially ignored. i stuck with
version 1.80. the rest is fluff.

0
SkyWriter
10/6/2004 11:13:02 PM
SkyWriter <skywriter@mrnutty.com> wrote in message news:<416453C5.4FCADBD8@mrnutty.com>...
> cesar wrote:

[...]
> > 'import site' failed; use -v for traceback
> > sys_init:warning - no sitedirs added from site module.
> >
> > Then, when I try to run the python script, I get an error stating
> > "ImportError: No module named os".
> >
> > And, btw, it always dumps core with segmentation fault when I quit
> > Blender (it doesn't matter if I tried to run the python script or not,
> > it still dumps core if I just start blender and quit it immediatly
> > without doing anything).
>
> yeah, hos did something, and it irrevocably busted the same stuff you
> mention for me as well, which is of coruse unreproducable (heh) i can't
> compile it anymore,

Do you mean 2.34 is the latest version that will compile on IRIX? Not
that I care too much, because the common expression "it compiles"
doesn't necessarily mean that "it works" (as shown by this python
issue, or by the segmentation fault when quitting blender).

> i stuck with version 1.80. the rest is fluff.

Python scripts work in the blender PC versions, so I'll use a PC if I
need scripts.

Anyway, if somebody can run python in blender with IRIX, please tell
how do you do it.

C�sar
0
cesarbud
10/7/2004 6:31:44 PM
cesar wrote:

> SkyWriter <skywriter@mrnutty.com> wrote in message news:<416453C5.4FCADBD8@mrnutty.com>...
> > cesar wrote:
> >
> [...]
> > > 'import site' failed; use -v for traceback
> > > sys_init:warning - no sitedirs added from site module.
> > >
> > > Then, when I try to run the python script, I get an error stating
> > > "ImportError: No module named os".
> > >
> > > And, btw, it always dumps core with segmentation fault when I quit
> > > Blender (it doesn't matter if I tried to run the python script or not,
> > > it still dumps core if I just start blender and quit it immediatly
> > > without doing anything).
> >
> > yeah, hos did something, and it irrevocably busted the same stuff you
> > mention for me as well, which is of coruse unreproducable (heh) i can't
> > compile it anymore,
>
> Do you mean 2.34 is the latest version that will compile on IRIX? Not
> that I care too much, because the common expression "it compiles"
> doesn't necessarily mean that "it works" (as shown by this python
> issue, or by the segmentation fault when quitting blender).
>

> > i stuck with version 1.80. the rest is fluff.
>
> Python scripts work in the blender PC versions, so I'll use a PC if I
> need scripts.

do that

> Anyway, if somebody can run python in blender with IRIX, please tell
> how do you do it.

it doesn't work anymore.

> C�sar

0