[ANN] ZX Spectrum +4 petition

The petition to get an official Sinclair ZX Spectrum is at:
  http://www.PetitionOnline.com/Spectrum/
while an example specification is at:
  http://www.speccyverse.me.uk/comp/accus/petition.htm

--
                       Tarquin Mills

ACCUS (Anglia Classic Computer Users Society)
http://www.speccyverse.me.uk/comp/accus/
0
accus (144)
11/11/2004 5:32:46 PM
comp.sys.sinclair 6096 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 17:32:46 GMT, Tarquin Mills <accus@nojunkmail.com> wrote:

>The petition to get an official Sinclair ZX Spectrum is at:
>  http://www.PetitionOnline.com/Spectrum/
>while an example specification is at:
>  http://www.speccyverse.me.uk/comp/accus/petition.htm

Hrm, I'm in doubting-Thomas mode again.

"In 2003 a petition was started to bring Your Sinclair back, now YS is back,
and hopefully here to stay."

But it isn't and it won't be. A one-off special is out now, but it's not
really YS, and it's not a regular mag (although it is very good). And I really
don't agree with you claiming that your petition was successful in "bringing
YS back" as I haven't yet seen any evidence that it had any impact on either
Live or Future in their decision to go ahead with the YS special.

As for the +4 petition - beyond the eMailer and a TV joystick thingy, nothing
more complex is realistic due to the cost involved in R&D. The best way to go
about this is to find someone to take on the design and production work and
then licence the Spectrum copyrights from Amstrad. Live Publishing did after
all licence the YS name off of Future.

In fact I'm convinced that instead Amstrad should be petitioned to offer
one-off Spectrum licences for sale to cloners around the world so that all
Amstrad would have to do is count the money rather than any real effort,
perhaps having a clause for extra fees should demand for a certain clone be
high enough. And I think this would be the case already if someone presented
them with a serious business proposition.

In practical terms I think you're going to have to get someone to design and
build the prototype in their spare time using their own funds, and even
manufacturing might need to be done either on the cheap or for free, otherwise
the RRP of the machine will run to hundreds of pounds quite easily. Amstrad
certainly won't take on that loss.

Sorry to put a dampener on things, but I don't think you're being realistic.

| Nick Humphries                                    nick@egyptus.co.uk |
| The Your Sinclair Rock'n'Roll Years:        http://www.ysrnry.co.uk/ |
| The YSRnRY TV Show: (1984 SOON)      http://www.ysrnry.co.uk/tvprog/ |
| The Tipshop:                           http://www.the-tipshop.co.uk/ |
nick164 (344)
11/11/2004 6:00:03 PM
"Nick Humphries" <nick@egyptusWIBBLE.co.uk> wrote

> In fact I'm convinced that instead Amstrad should be petitioned to offer
> one-off Spectrum licences for sale to cloners around the world so that all
> Amstrad would have to do is count the money rather than any real effort,
> perhaps having a clause for extra fees should demand for a certain clone
> be
> high enough.

These are my thoughts exactly.

Colin

--

ZXF: Spectrum computing today

Download the PDF magazine for free at www.cwoodcock.co.uk/zxf

---

colin4200 (68)
11/11/2004 6:24:33 PM
Nick Humphries wrote:
> As for the +4 petition - beyond the eMailer and a TV joystick thingy, nothing
> more complex is realistic due to the cost involved in R&D.

The C64DTV (C64 in a joystick) about to be released in the U.S. and Europe
when the PAL version is ready is essentially a C64 on an ASIC and, with a
bit of soldering on the pads they've apparently left in the design, it's
possible to add a PC keyboard and a stock 6 pin serial to connect a 1541
disk drive up.  Since the C64 is harder to clone due to the custom chips,
doing the same sort of work for the Speccy should be reasonably viable
commercially, shouldn't it...?

> Sorry to put a dampener on things, but I don't think you're being realistic.

There's already been a +4 - it's a Commodore. [evil grin =-]
--
     ______________________________  _________________________________
    /                             /\/  ___/     /  ___/  /     /  ___/\
Colin Woodcock wrote:
> "Nick Humphries" <nick@egyptusWIBBLE.co.uk> wrote
>

>>In fact I'm convinced that instead Amstrad should be petitioned to offer
>>one-off Spectrum licences for sale to cloners around the world so that all
>>Amstrad would have to do is count the money rather than any real effort,
>>perhaps having a clause for extra fees should demand for a certain clone
>>be
>>high enough.
>

> These are my thoughts exactly.
>
> Colin

Yeah, I can't see it happening - what possible reason would Amstrad have
for producing it and who would buy such a machine?

Doesn't really have any general appeal in a saturated market.
On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 18:24:33 -0000, "Colin Woodcock"
<colin@woodcock88.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>"Nick Humphries" <nick@egyptusWIBBLE.co.uk> wrote
>
>> In fact I'm convinced that instead Amstrad should be petitioned to offer
>> one-off Spectrum licences for sale to cloners around the world so that all
>> Amstrad would have to do is count the money rather than any real effort,
>> perhaps having a clause for extra fees should demand for a certain clone
>> be
>> high enough.
>
>These are my thoughts exactly.

What everyone else said. The petition just looks foolish to me, I'm
sorry to say.

Matthew
0
matthew95 (156)
11/11/2004 8:00:22 PM
In message <cn0ap4$v3p$1@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk> "Colin Woodcock" wrote:
> "Nick Humphries" wrote
> > In fact I'm convinced that instead Amstrad should be petitioned to offer
> > one-off Spectrum licences for sale to cloners around the world so
> > that all Amstrad would have to do is count the money rather than
> > any real effort, perhaps having a clause for extra fees should
> > demand for a certain clone be high enough.
>
> These are my thoughts exactly.

The petition says "we encourage amateur attempts that may be later
endorsed.", the above is covered by it.

--
                       Tarquin Mills

ACCUS (Anglia Classic Computer Users Society)
http://www.speccyverse.me.uk/comp/accus/
0
accus (144)
11/11/2004 8:52:51 PM
Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Thu, 11 Nov
2004 17:32:46 GMT, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do comp.sys.sinclair,
yawatina tan reek esk Tarquin Mills <accus@nojunkmail.com> fornis do marikano
es bono tan el:

>The petition to get an official Sinclair ZX Spectrum is at:
>  http://www.PetitionOnline.com/Spectrum/
>while an example specification is at:
>  http://www.speccyverse.me.uk/comp/accus/petition.htm

Who won the ORSAM prize draw?

deKay
--
 + Lofi Gaming - www.lofi-gaming.org.uk  AC: deKay in Sponge
 |- ugvm Magazine - www.ugvm.org.uk      Gamertag: deKay 01
> > Sorry to put a dampener on things, but I don't think you're being realistic.
>
> There's already been a +4 - it's a Commodore. [evil grin =-]

And my own Spectrum +4 ROM (which was about as good).

And I'd be interested in licensing the ROM for a ZX Spectrum SE build
project - the hardware design is done, but I don't think the market
would pay the price.
0
aoweninoz (369)
11/12/2004 4:05:37 AM
Not sure if my other post got through - down side of internet cafes.

1) ZX Spectrum +4 has been done (a ROM by me, but it's not very good
so I wouldn't bother with it.

2) Portable colour Speccy games console:

See GBA, GP32 and mobile phone based emulators - much cheaper than a
new hardware build.

3) A new Spectrum.

This has been suggested over and over again during the life of this
group. To my knowledge the only genuine mass market new Spectrums have
come from the former Soviet Bloc, and a few home brew projects
including - my own ZX Spectrum SE, Garry Lancaster's Spectrum +3e,
Mike Wynn's SpeccyBOB and Chrome (sorry can't remember the author's
name). Of these the ZX Spectrum SE and +3e are emulated.

4) No one will pay for it.

Sorry to put the kybosh on it but aside from a few enthusiasts, no one
is going to fork out for a new machine. The gamers can use emulators
on full PCs or portable stuff (see point 2). Programmers are more
likely to use an emulator and/or BASin. The Russian Sprinter was a
great Z80 based machine with Spectrum compatibility. It has just gone
out of production because of a lack of interest - and it was
relatively cheap to buy. If you really want a new machine I'd suggest
trying to get one of the short run ATM Turbo 2s currently in
production (no idea where from though).

5) Suggested specification

A Nintendo DS based emulator with a keyboard in the touch screen area
or a GP32 with a keyboard will be the cheapest portable Speccy option.
You can't make short-run portables without vast costs.

3.5" HD floppy drive - pointless

16.5MB RAM - what for when mass storage is fast enough and the address
space is 64K.

CF to be used as a hard disc - been done it's called ZXCF and it's
been emulated.

Emulators - already exist. And I'm looking at a Z88 emu for the ZX SE.
Keyboard to include keywords in colour - out of date - use a tokenizer
as in SE Basic.

Mouse port - which type. I agree Kempston Mouse is probably worth
having.

Midi in, out and through standard connectors. - Why would you use a
Speccy as a sequencer in this day and age.

Parallel port, standard connector - easy to make yourself apparently
2 serial ports (9 pin D), fast, at least 115Kps - done (Jessa I/O)

USB - been done, but not sure it's worth it on a Speccy.

Sinclair net - a good idea. I'm looking into adding it to the ZX SE
specification.

Ethernet - been done but Sinclair net makes more sense to me.

Case colour=black - I hate PC towers - the ZX SE will eventually be a
black rack mount.
0
aoweninoz (369)
11/12/2004 4:23:49 AM
In message <03p7p0hoqpguq4n1nauuhkingq0u4l8vj5@4ax.com>
          deKay wrote:
> Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Thu, 11
> Nov 2004 17:32:46 GMT, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do
> comp.sys.sinclair, yawatina tan reek esk Tarquin Mills
> <accus@nojunkmail.com> fornis do marikano es bono tan el:
>
> >The petition to get an official Sinclair ZX Spectrum is at:
> >  http://www.PetitionOnline.com/Spectrum/
> >while an example specification is at:
> >  http://www.speccyverse.me.uk/comp/accus/petition.htm
>
> Who won the ORSAM prize draw?

The prize was spilt into two, and both winners were locals.
More about one of the prize winners is quoted from the QL mailing
list, Tony I hope you do not mind me quoting you.

--
                       Tarquin Mills

ACCUS (Anglia Classic Computer Users Society)
http://www.speccyverse.me.uk/comp/accus/
0
accus (144)
11/12/2004 2:50:13 PM
In message <c371076d.0411112023.79bcd56c@posting.google.com>
         Andrew Owen wrote:
> Not sure if my other post got through - down side of internet cafes.
>
> 1) ZX Spectrum +4 has been done (a ROM by me, but it's not very good
> so I wouldn't bother with it.
>
> 2) Portable colour Speccy games console:
>
> See GBA, GP32 and mobile phone based emulators - much cheaper than a
> new hardware build.
>
> 3) A new Spectrum.
>
> This has been suggested over and over again during the life of this
> group. To my knowledge the only genuine mass market new Spectrums have
> come from the former Soviet Bloc, and a few home brew projects
> including - my own ZX Spectrum SE, Garry Lancaster's Spectrum +3e,
> Mike Wynn's SpeccyBOB and Chrome (sorry can't remember the author's
> name). Of these the ZX Spectrum SE and +3e are emulated.
>
> 4) No one will pay for it.
>
> Sorry to put the kybosh on it but aside from a few enthusiasts, no one
> is going to fork out for a new machine. The gamers can use emulators
> on full PCs or portable stuff (see point 2). Programmers are more
> likely to use an emulator and/or BASin. The Russian Sprinter was a
> great Z80 based machine with Spectrum compatibility. It has just gone
> out of production because of a lack of interest - and it was
> relatively cheap to buy. If you really want a new machine I'd suggest
> trying to get one of the short run ATM Turbo 2s currently in
> production (no idea where from though).
>
> 5) Suggested specification
>
> A Nintendo DS based emulator with a keyboard in the touch screen area
> or a GP32 with a keyboard will be the cheapest portable Speccy option.
> You can't make short-run portables without vast costs.
>
> 3.5" HD floppy drive - pointless
>
> 16.5MB RAM - what for when mass storage is fast enough and the address
> space is 64K.
>
> CF to be used as a hard disc - been done it's called ZXCF and it's
> been emulated.
>
> Emulators - already exist. And I'm looking at a Z88 emu for the ZX SE.
> Keyboard to include keywords in colour - out of date - use a tokenizer
> as in SE Basic.
>
> Mouse port - which type. I agree Kempston Mouse is probably worth
> having.
>
> Midi in, out and through standard connectors. - Why would you use a
> Speccy as a sequencer in this day and age.
>
> Parallel port, standard connector - easy to make yourself apparently
> 2 serial ports (9 pin D), fast, at least 115Kps - done (Jessa I/O)
>
> USB - been done, but not sure it's worth it on a Speccy.
>
> Sinclair net - a good idea. I'm looking into adding it to the ZX SE
> specification.

Good :-), will it be fully QL compatible, unlike Interface 1.

> Ethernet - been done but Sinclair net makes more sense to me.
>
> Case colour=black - I hate PC towers - the ZX SE will eventually be a
> black rack mount.

  What if you cannot build hardware, also all these addons have never been
in the same machine at the same time. As for the ex-Soviet clones they
are nearly impossible to get (in particular the Russian ones which are
better, I would love a GMX), not one has been shown at ORSAM, even
though people want to see them. I will be bringing a Didactik Kompakt
to next years show, thanks to help from a German importer. As to
PeterPlus, if they had a British importer it would have helped their
sales in the UK. Considering the exchange rate, the Sprinter could
have been cheaper, there must be demand or the ATM Turbo would not
be manufactured.
  Portable games consoles often have small screens, a laptop would be
better. I prefer a real spectrum to an emulator, an official spectrum
will be more popular than a clone. It's about trying to move forward,
get the ideal, that can be bought easily. We all know a SAM accelerator
would be good, I bet some CSS think this will not happen.

--
                       Tarquin Mills

ACCUS (Anglia Classic Computer Users Society)
http://www.speccyverse.me.uk/comp/accus/
0
accus (144)
11/12/2004 3:28:00 PM
Tarquin, I really doubt that Amstrad will be making a new Spectrum.
Specially based on a petition which will just be answered by us
nutters.

We'll be lucky if they just release an enhanced version in a future
emailer.

And SAM is not compatible with Spectrum 128K paging - the paging
techniques are quite different - so how can you get a SAM & Speccy
128K based one combined? (Besides, 128K games are apparently
straight-forward to convert anyway)

(Besides, SAM isn't natively a Spectrum anyway - it's more of an
evolvement of the Spectra's)

SIAC (SAM-in-a-Can) Owner :)
0
david1603 (14)
11/12/2004 7:22:38 PM
Tarquin Mills <accus@nojunkmail.com> wrote in message news:<b6b0b90c4d.planet14@localhost.local>...
> In message <03p7p0hoqpguq4n1nauuhkingq0u4l8vj5@4ax.com>
>           deKay wrote:
> > Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Thu, 11
> > Nov 2004 17:32:46 GMT, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do
> > comp.sys.sinclair, yawatina tan reek esk Tarquin Mills
> > <accus@nojunkmail.com> fornis do marikano es bono tan el:
> >
> > >The petition to get an official Sinclair ZX Spectrum is at:
> > >  http://www.PetitionOnline.com/Spectrum/
> > >while an example specification is at:
> > >  http://www.speccyverse.me.uk/comp/accus/petition.htm

Have you seen C One already? Just look closer and you'll see CPC
emulation running on it:
http://www.siliconsonic.de/c-one/cpc/startscreen.jpg

Spec: 20Mhz 65c816 CPU /taken from SNES?/, SDRAM -> 1GB,  processor
slot for  real 6502, Z80, 6809 or even the Z8S180...

What are you waiting for? Just hack the code for this platform to run
some Speccy modes on it. Please.[1]

stanley

[1] It's more clever to not fragment hardware world dedicated to 8bit
emulation  scene I think.
0
stano2000 (60)

Pay someone else to do it, like Yarek Adamski (www.yarek.com)

> also all these addons have never been in the same machine at the same time.

Well as many are add-ons you could plug them all in to the same
machine.

> I will be bringing a Didactik Kompakt to next years show

That's really just a Speccy 128 clone with a disk drive bolted on. A
grey +2 with a homebrew +D is probably a better option.

> PeterPlus, if they had a British importer it would have helped their
> sales in the UK.

They had a Spanish one, and the scene is pretty big there but it
wasn't enough.

> there must be demand or the ATM Turbo would not be manufactured.

True, but you can't match Russian pricing when you manufacture in the
UK.

> Portable games consoles often have small screens, a laptop would be
> better.

A cheap second hand laptop would be cheaper than a new machine with a
double sized screen.

> I prefer a real spectrum to an emulator

Depends on what you want to do with it. GBA based emulator through the
GameCube GBA box would be interesting.

> an official spectrum will be more popular than a clone.

Not unless it's dirt cheap - and you'd be looking at a Speccy 128 in a
Joystick with a selection of games at best.

> It's about trying to move forward

Hardly anyone wants to. Speccy sceners are mostly purists, unlike C64
sceners.
0
aoweninoz (369)
11/13/2004 4:12:28 AM
Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des 12 Nov 2004
20:12:28 -0800, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do comp.sys.sinclair,
yawatina tan reek esk aoweninoz@yahoo.com.au (Andrew Owen) fornis do marikano
es bono tan el:

>Depends on what you want to do with it. GBA based emulator through the
>GameCube GBA box would be interesting.

I often play Run Baby Run this way :)

deKay
--
 + Lofi Gaming - www.lofi-gaming.org.uk  AC: deKay in Sponge
 |- ugvm Magazine - www.ugvm.org.uk      Gamertag: deKay 01
 |- Currently buying games at a rate of one every 14.33 hours
0
andyk6 (1493)
11/13/2004 9:15:54 AM
I remember you first mentioning your idea of a Spectrum +4 in passing during
your talk at the ORSAM show last year (November 2003), and I have to wonder
why you always assosciate the Sam as a Spectrum. Having a 'new' ZX Spectrum
which just happens to be Sam compatible as mentioned in your petition is not
something I would want to see, nor would other major Sam figures I have
talked to since your original post appeared.

I don't think you quite understand the Sam's capabilities or the unique
scene that has formed around the blue footed machine, although the Sam can
emulate the Spectrum (more on that later...) it really is a completely
different platform and shouldn't be seen as just an upgraded Spectrum, just
as the Spectrum shouldn't be seen as an upgraded ZX80!

I also have to say I was rather stunned at your first question you asked me
when you saw the prototype of the 'Mayhem Accelerator' I had at the ORSAM
show last weekend, which I demonstrated speeding the Sam Coupe up to 12MHz
with uncontended memory. (The Mayhem Accelerator is still only at the half
built prototype stage - it will be faster when finished, i'll be printing
info in the show report in issue 11 of Sam Revival, followed on by my
development article in issue 12.)

Anyway, back to your question at the show: "Is it 128K Compatible?".... As I
said on the day the answer is NO! Adding 128K ZX Spectrum compatiblity in
hardware would be a definite backwards step for the Sam Coupe.

We all know the Sam's roots were planted deep in the Sinclair community,
with the first Sam prototype in early 1988 only had MODE 1 (Spectrum style
screen) and MODE 2 (8x1 attribute cells), 64 to 256K memory and possibly an
AY soundchip (See issue 50 of Crash for the first details of the Sam in
development) . But by the time the Sam was finally released in December 1989
its superior capabilities (including graphic MODEs 3 and 4, 512K memory, SAA
soundchip) really made the machine stand out on its own, and making it much
more interesting than the fact that one of its four graphics modes was
identical to the ZX Spectrum and it had a 48K Emulator bundled with it.
(Even other 8 bit machines could emulate the Spectrum such as the Einstein
and Memotech but they haven't been classed as super-spectrums!)

Yes, the Sam can emulate the 48K Spectrum (and for that matter the ZX81, the
6510 C64 CPU, pacman arcade machine.. to name a few other emulators!), and
128K software has been hacked to run on the Sam in graphics MODE 1 and with
a software AY to SAA audio translator which all removes the need for a
hardware based solution. I really think that MGT and SamCo pushed the
Spectrum Emulator side too much in publicity. It is still quite unfortunate
that after 15 years the Sam is still only seen as a 'super spectrum'... and
how the press have still never let go of this fact and even to this day the
phrase "Super Spectrum" lives on and has appeared in Retro Gamer a few times
to date.

I'll say it again, the Sam isn't a ZX Spectrum! And I would be correct to
say that the majority of Sam users will see emulating the speccy on the Sam
as just an added bonus really. The true capabilities of the Sam Coupe
running its own software and using the full capabilities of the machine
really show the Sam as a true platform itself and the sooner it can lose the
'super spectrum' stigma the better.

Colin
=====
Quazar : Hardware, Software, Spares and Repairs for the Sam Coupe
Website: http://www.quazar.clara.net/ and http://www.samcoupe.com/
Issue Ten of "Sam Revival" Magazine Out Now

0
quazar (39)
11/14/2004 8:31:16 PM
Nick Humphries wrote:

> And I really
> don't agree with you claiming that your petition was successful in "bringing
> YS back" as I haven't yet seen any evidence that it had any impact on either
> Live or Future in their decision to go ahead with the YS special.

Indeed. If anything, the Retro Gamer supplement has actually made it
less likely that the stated terms of the petition will actually be
carried out, because Future have presumably now signed away a
not-insignificant chunk of the rights.

The YS revival went exactly the way I'd like to see any new official
Spectrum going: with genuinely enthusiastic people taking the initiative
and putting their money where their mouth is [1], getting the blessing
from the rights holder along the way. Whether any group will find it
cost-effective to do that remains to be seen (the fact that it happened
for YS was a pleasant surprise for everybody), but it's got to be more
constructive than gathering together untold thousands of names to tell
Amstrad, "put YOUR money where OUR mouth is".

[1] yes, it's a metaphorical mouth, which is why this group of people
only has one. Stupid idiom.
0
gasman (790)
11/14/2004 8:49:03 PM
At some point in the past (Fri, 12 Nov 2004 04:23:49 GMT, as it happens),
somebody called aoweninoz@yahoo.com.au (Andrew Owen) made the following
views known to all at comp.sys.sinclair

> 4) No one will pay for it.
>
> Sorry to put the kybosh on it but aside from a few enthusiasts, no one
> is going to fork out for a new machine. The gamers can use emulators
> on full PCs or portable stuff (see point 2). Programmers are more
> likely to use an emulator and/or BASin. The Russian Sprinter was a
> great Z80 based machine with Spectrum compatibility. It has just gone
> out of production because of a lack of interest - and it was
> relatively cheap to buy. If you really want a new machine I'd suggest
> trying to get one of the short run ATM Turbo 2s currently in
> production (no idea where from though).

Excellent point, and, sadly, true. I was talking to someone about this the
other day, how the Windows PC more or less has the monopoly on the home
computer market now - aside from the Macintosh family, there's nothing to
rival the PC in the home computer market. I know, you can get PCs with
different operating systems (Linux and such) but it's still a PC.

Yes, I miss the times when the PC and Mac had rivals - when there was more
choice. Up until ten years ago, as well as the PC and Mac (in fact the Mac
was barely in contention back then), you had the Amiga, ST and Archimedes,
all at similar specs to a PC, although less upgradeable. Okay, some
hobbyists have upgraded their Amigas and Archimedes (RISC PC) to modern day
specs, but none of these have been commercial.

I think there needs to be more choice in the home computer market, just as
there was ten years ago, just as there is in the console market - and I
don't just mean different brands of PC. If one of these choices was to
carry the Sinclair brand, and of course be backwards-compatible (not just
emulation) then so much the better.

Yes, I know I'm living in a dreamworld.

Steve
--
'Hey hey 16k, where does that get you today?'

On 15 Nov 2004 15:47:20 -0600 da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were rappin'
to MC Steve Farrell:

> Yes, I miss the times when the PC and Mac had rivals - when there was more
> choice. Up until ten years ago, as well as the PC and Mac (in fact the Mac
> was barely in contention back then), you had the Amiga, ST and Archimedes,
> all at similar specs to a PC, although less upgradeable.

I'd argue that ten years ago, the "Wintel" (I hate that word) PC may
have had the edge on price, but specs-wise - and certainly in the
user-friendliness stakes - it fell way behind.  Windows 95 wasn't even
out then, and tinkering with memory settings and drivers in config.sys
just to get one game working isn't my idea of fun (okay, I lie, it is
my idea of fun but only as a one-off, and I certainly wouldn't part
with my hard-earned cash for such a machine)

> Okay, some
> hobbyists have upgraded their Amigas and Archimedes (RISC PC) to modern day
> specs, but none of these have been commercial.

AmigaOne (http://www.eyetech.co.uk) and OS4 (http://os.amiga.com/os4)
are very much commercial.
The RISC PC is still alive and commercially available too, with RISC
OS (http://www.riscos.com) still being developed.  Darren Salt can
probably fill you in on the details of this one.
Even the ST has newer commercial versions from
http://www.milan-computer.de (I'm not sure you can still get hold of
these, but they certainly existed commercially up until a few years
ago), which AFAIK is a direct descendant of the original technology
(ie. not a clone).

The problem with the above three, is that the technology from the
original companies has been split up, passed around, sold to the
highest bidder, gone through periods of little or no development,
parts have become obsolete or unobtainable in the process, and you can
no longer walk into Dixons and buy one.

That doesn't mean they aren't commercially available.  Not
commercially viable, maybe.

> I think there needs to be more choice in the home computer market, just as
> there was ten years ago, just as there is in the console market - and I
> don't just mean different brands of PC. If one of these choices was to
> carry the Sinclair brand, and of course be backwards-compatible (not just
> emulation) then so much the better.

I absolutely agree.  I'm not sure there is less choice these days, I
think it is about the same.  However, if you want to buy software or
your computer in the High Street (and, let's face it, 99% of people
do), then you only really have two choices - "Wintel" PC or Mac.
Maybe if you are really lucky, you might be able to pick up a Linux
distribution to install on your PC... erm, that you have already paid
for Windows on.

Any other hardware, you are out of luck (unless you head towards the
Internet).  There are possibly hundreds of different OSs available,
but 95% of them run on standard PC hardware, 98% of those have little
or no software, and 99% of them most people probably haven't heard of,
let alone found a good reason to use them, and <1% are available in PC
World.

So, the choice seems to have largely moved to which OS you want,
rather than which computer you want.  The perceived choice by the
majority of the population is whether to buy this PC running Windows,
or that one (which also runs Windows).  They don't realise that
this is an enforced choice, they are all rubbish, they will all crash
and there are better alternatives available - if you know where to
look.

The bad thing about the main choice (when you discover you have a
choice) being the OS, is that normal PC hardware, is crap.  What you
can do with the OS is limited by the hardware.  If the hardware isn't
up to it, you might be able to emulate the missing functionality in
software.  That would give you the feature, but it wouldn't work as
well as it could.  The good thing about 80's home computers was the OS
(which might be a bit too grand a term for most of them) was tied to
the hardware, and the hardware was known, so you could access the full
power of the machine.

This also happened to be their downfall, as the hardware couldn't be
changed significantly without breaking the existing software.  These
days, a properly coded OS and APIs for accessing the hardware could
solve this problem, due to advancements in processor speed and memory.
The hardware could be changed, and existing software (as long as it
played nice) could continue to run.

Unfortunately Microsoft were already doing this (albeit badly), and
along with competition driving the prices down, it helped them take
over the computer market. They now have such a monopoly, that you
could release the best computer in the world and sell it for 75p and a
packet of Rolos, and most people probably wouldn't even notice.

Chris

|  http://www.unsatisfactorysoftware.co.uk  |
| Your Sinclair: A Celebration              |

ng7402 (363)
11/15/2004 11:09:21 PM
Matthew Westcott <gasman@raww.org> wrote in message news:<2vpum2F2krodjU1@uni-berlin.de>...

> The YS revival went exactly the way I'd like to see any new official
> Spectrum going: with genuinely enthusiastic people taking the initiative
> and putting their money where their mouth is [1], getting the blessing
> from the rights holder along the way. Whether any group will find it
> cost-effective to do that remains to be seen (the fact that it happened
> for YS was a pleasant surprise for everybody), but it's got to be more
> constructive than gathering together untold thousands of names to tell
> Amstrad, "put YOUR money where OUR mouth is".

I second that. The thing is, nobody's ever been able to agree on what
a new Spectrum should be. With the ZX Spectrum SE my aim was to create
a machine with the broadest possible base of software and
compatibility - It will run anything written for the ZX80 through to
the +2, including the Timex 2068 (including cartridges) (it also runs
BBC Basic). So in that regard it's quite a desirable machine. However,
while a working prototype exists, I don't have the skills to translate
that into a mass produced machine. If someone was interested in
producing a clone of the SE I'd be happy to lend them the original
hardware for that purpose. Any takers?
0
aoweninoz (369)
11/15/2004 11:38:36 PM
On 15 Nov 2004 23:09:21 +0000, "Chris Young" <ng@yoursinclair.co.uk>
wrote:

>Maybe if you are really lucky, you might be able to pick up a Linux
>distribution to install on your PC... erm, that you have already paid
>for Windows on.

Legally, you are entitled to have the shop remove Windows from the PC,
and buy the PC at a price minus the cost of Windows
--
pete [at]  �     W H E N   B A C K E D   I N T O   A   C O R N E R . . .
horseshoe  � "such a waste of space, such a small turd hanging on tightly to
<see-my-sig@hotmail.com> wrote:
>On 15 Nov 2004 23:09:21 +0000, "Chris Young" <ng@yoursinclair.co.uk>
>wrote:
>
>>Maybe if you are really lucky, you might be able to pick up a Linux
>>distribution to install on your PC... erm, that you have already paid
>>for Windows on.
>
>Legally, you are entitled to have the shop remove Windows from the PC,
>and buy the PC at a price minus the cost of Windows

Now find a shop that will do that. Many will prefer not to sell you the
PC at all rather than take Windows off it, otherwise MS will get all
pissy and charge them more for licenses or even revoke their license
full stop.

MS have got the market by the balls and no fancy-pants legallity is
going to change that, it needs a grass roots movement of the buying
public away from MS. But practically everything they see, buy and use
has MS on it so where is it going to come from? Even with very fast,
very stable, very powerful, very beautiful Macs people still flock to
Wintel. Too many people think that Windows is all there is and that
every computer in the world runs it (that's an actual quote from a
family friend).

I don't mind people being ignorant or stubborn but not when it cocks up
lots of things for people who want or have to use something else,
although that's hardly the sole preserve of IT.

Frink

--
Doctor J. Frink     : 'Rampant Ribald Ringtail'
See his mind here   : http://www.cmp.liv.ac.uk/frink/
On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 20:13:55 -0500, Steve Farrell wrote:

> In related news, I have Linux now. Hurrah! Obviously, it's already better
> than Windows, and I've so far managed to avoid connecting to IRC
> embarrasingly as 'root'.

http://funroll-loops.org/

one of my favs on that page is about conecting to #debian as root ;-)  and
yes I am a debian user so I am fully entitled to laugh at people who just
don't get it ;-)

> Steve

sparkes

sparkes

sparkes wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 20:13:55 -0500, Steve Farrell wrote:
>

>> In related news, I have Linux now. Hurrah! Obviously, it's already better
>> than Windows, and I've so far managed to avoid connecting to IRC
>> embarrasingly as 'root'.
>
> http://funroll-loops.org/
>
> one of my favs on that page is about conecting to #debian as root ;-)  and
> yes I am a debian user so I am fully entitled to laugh at people who just
> don't get it ;-)

Ah, I opted for Knoppix, which, apparantley, is Debian-based. But it is
embarrasingly easy to *not* connect to IRC as 'root', so it baffles me why
so many Linux newbies manage this. Ah well, I suppose that's where the
funny is.

Steve

ANN: Leo 4.4.4 beta 4 released
Leo 4.4.4 beta 4 is available at: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=3458&package_id=29106 This beta 4 version fixes all bugs reported against Leo 4.4.4 beta 3. Leo is a text editor, data organizer, project manager and much more. See: http://webpages.charter.net/edreamleo/intro.html Leo 4.4.4 contains many important features originally planned for later releases. The highlights of Leo 4.4.4: ---------------------------- - The Great Graph Aha (tm): simple scripts allow Leo outlines to represent arbitrary directed graphs. There is no need for a separate 'graph world'. The graphed.py plugin is a direct result of this Aha. The graphed.py plugin allows you to create general graphs from Leo outlines. - @menus trees in settings files create all of Leo's menus. It is now dead easy to make Leo's menus look the way you want. - @buttons trees in settings files create common @button nodes created in all Leo outlines. - @auto nodes eliminate sentinels in derived files, thereby allowing people to collaborate using Leo more easily. - New commands for resolving cvs conflicts. - A threading_colorizer plugin replaces the __jEdit_colorizer__ plugin. This plugin features much better performance and a new, elegant algorithm. - Leo is now compatible with jython. - Better support for icons in headlines. - The usual assortment of bug fixes and other minor improvements. Links: ------ ...

ANN: Leo 4.4.4 beta 4 released
Leo 4.4.4 beta 4 is available at: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=3458&package_id=29106 This beta 4 version fixes all bugs reported against Leo 4.4.4 beta 3. Leo is a text editor, data organizer, project manager and much more. See: http://webpages.charter.net/edreamleo/intro.html Leo 4.4.4 contains many important features originally planned for later releases. The highlights of Leo 4.4.4: ---------------------------- - The Great Graph Aha (tm): simple scripts allow Leo outlines to represent arbitrary directed graphs. There is no need for a separate 'graph ...

ANN: ZX Spectrum SEcf
After about two years of on/off attempting to get ZXATASP to work with the ZX Spectrum SE prototype I finally gave up. After a few minutes at the recent RAWW meet one of LaesQ's divIDE boards was happily working with the SE when plugged in behind the proface-AT interface. There were at least four divIDE boards at the meet, one of the a 57b variety made by zilog. All of them worked without problems. The real selling point of the divIDE is that it is dirt cheap. Therefore I am making divIDE part of the ZX Spectrum SE specification. If you want to own a real SE then you'll need to get a ...

[ANN] Leo 4.4.4 Final released
Leo 4.4.4 Final is available at: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=3458&package_id=29106 Leo is a text editor, data organizer, project manager and much more. See: http://webpages.charter.net/edreamleo/intro.html Leo 4.4.4 contains many important features originally planned for later releases. The highlights of Leo 4.4.4: ---------------------------- - The Great Graph Aha: simple scripts allow Leo outlines to represent arbitrary directed graphs. There is no need for a separate 'graph world'. The graphed.py plugin is a direct result of this Aha. The graphed.py plugin allows you to create general graphs from Leo outlines. - @menus trees in settings files create all of Leo's menus. It is now dead easy to make Leo's menus look the way you want. - @buttons trees in settings files create common @button nodes created in all Leo outlines. - @auto nodes eliminate sentinels in derived files, thereby allowing people to collaborate using Leo more easily. **Warning**: for now, please make backup copies of files imported with @auto. - New commands for resolving cvs conflicts. - A threading_colorizer plugin replaces the __jEdit_colorizer__ plugin. This plugin features much better performance and a new, elegant algorithm. - Leo is now compatible with jython. - Better support for icons in headlines. - Many bug fixes and other minor improvements. Links: ------ Leo: http:...

For sale: games for Amstrad & Acorn BBC & Acorn Electron & Commodore 64 & Commodore Vic20 & Dragon 32 & Oric & Sinclair ZX81 & Sinclair ZX Spectrum (16k & 48k) & IBM PC (5.25" & 3.5" & CD)
I have many old games, on 5.25" & 3.5" & CD for PC and on tapes for Amstrad & Acorn BBC & Acorn Electron & Commodore 64 & Commodore Vic20 & Dragon 32 & Oric & Sinclair ZX81 & Sinclair ZX Spectrum (16k & 48k). I need to sell some of them. Would you like to buy any? I have bank accounts in the U.K.; the Republic of Ireland; Sweden; Germany; the Netherlands and Italy, so I can accept payment in a number of currencies and in a number of ways. I live at 2461 Via Tosco Romagnola, Titignano, 56023 Cascina (PI), Italy. Send me an email or a lett...

ANN: ZX Spectrum SE/CF
First some numbers: 2: years since the ZX Spectrum SE was released 1: ZX Spectrum SE's built including the original prototype 1: emulators with ZX Spectrum SE support (FUSE) 3: authors of ZX Spectrum SE specific software 5: ZX Spectrum SE specific software releases Given the relative lack of popularity of the ZX Spectrum SE you may well be asking why the ZX Spectrum SE/CF should be any more successful. Despite the fact that people have been talking about making a new Spectrum since this newsgroup began, only a few dedicated hobbyists have the technical know-how to do...

Looking for a Sinclair ZX Spectrum +3
Is there anyone that has one for me of wants to swap for some of my other Sinclair items. I have no ZX80 unfortunately. Also looking for an MK14 calculator. ...

ANN: ZX Spectrum +2g ROM set
I'm working on another modified ZX Spectrum. This one is based on the +2A. There's quite a lot of work to do on the hardware but the ROM set is pretty much finished, unless I can find some room to add support for the parallel port (not likely). It comprises four ROMs (in 2 physical chips): 0: Fully bug-fixed, enhanced, translated, and optimized Spanish 128 editor 1: Fully bug-fixed 48 BASIC with numeric keypad support patches 2: UK 128 editor, patched to work with the original 48 BASIC ROM 3: The original 48 BASIC ROM The Spanish editor can cope with embedded control codes and shows...

Small Sinclair ZX Spectrum videos collection
Hi everybody, I've uploaded some videos from my collection on rapidshare: http://rapidshare.com/users/KL0J7Q Zx_Spectrum_Television_Back_In_Time_Your_Sinclair_1982.mpg (68897 KB) Zx_Spectrum_Television_Back_In_Time_Your_Sinclair_1983.mpg (89639 KB) Zx_Spectrum_Television_Back_In_Time_Your_Sinclair_1984.mpg (77607 KB) 80S_Advert-Sinclair_Zx_Spectrum.avi (3559 KB) Zx_Spectrum_Jet_Set_Willy_Ending_Complete.avi (2328 KB) The Back In Time videos are great. Have fun with it and... Merry Christmas! :-) Regards, Andriy http://www.ysrnry.co.uk/tvprog/downloads.htm "nib0rd00h" <...

ANN: Openstep for Zaurus: mySTEP-1.4, myPDA-3.1a5 ANN: Openstep for Zaurus: mySTEP-1.3, myPDA-3.1a4, Zaurus-gcc-2.95.3X10.3a1 ANN: Openstep for Zaurus: mySTEP-1.4, myPDA-3.1a5
Dear all, again new releases for the GNUstep clone "mySTEP" for the Sharp Zaurus and its runtime environment "myPDA" (X11 + window manager) as well as an update for the gcc cross-compiler development kit hosted on MacOS X 10.3 are available. The system is becoming more and more mature - although it is not yet ripe enough for productivity. It allows you to take the source of Cocoa applications, add a simple shell-script build phase, and compile into a "fat binary" .app bundle that runs verbatim on MacOS X as well as on a standard Zaurus on which myPDA is...

ZX Spectrum
Hello. This message is a petition to CPC T-Rex Creator to support ZX spectrum. Spanish ZX Specturm user are very interested in this machine, in Spain both system have a lot of users and a Zx-CPC T-Rex will be a perfect combination for a lot of people. Amstrad CPC and ZX Spectrum have the same CPU (Zilog Z80) and sound are very similar in Amstrad CPC and ZX Spectrum 128K. Please, think in it, and thanks for your work. -- Radastan http://www.bytemaniacos.com I want CPC T-Rex Creator to support ZX spectrum. I hope a new brand machine supporting the Speccy. Many than...

Re: [ANN] sys-win32etc 0.0.4
> -----Original Message----- > From: Park Heesob [mailto:phasis@bcline.com] > Sent: Thursday, September 04, 2003 9:56 PM > To: ruby-talk@ruby-lang.org > Subject: Re: [ANN] sys-win32etc 0.0.4 > > > Hi, > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Berger, Daniel" <djberge@qwest.com> > To: "ruby-talk ML" <ruby-talk@ruby-lang.org> > Sent: Friday, September 05, 2003 6:19 AM > Subject: [ANN] sys-win32etc 0.0.4 > > > ... > > HELP WANTED > > ============ > > Testing is much appreciated, especially for th...

Sinclair ZX Spectrum BASIC Programming (PDF Available?)
I'm an American who is I'm just getting into the Spectrum emulation scene. Is there a PDF version of the Sinclair ZX Spectrum BASIC Programming book (the book that comes with the Spectrum)? I have found an html version on worldofspectrum.org, but I'm not thrilled with it... indeed, I hate html versions of books. I'd much prefer a PDF version. I've searched the Internet but I can't come up with one. Is one available? If not, is anyone willing to scan it? (How long is it?) Adam <ballyalley@hotmail.com> wrote: > I'm an American who is I'm just ge...

Computing Britain
Commencing today, 14-SEP-2015, at 13:45 BBC Radio 4 is broadcasting ten, weekday programs on the history of British Computing. Each is 15 minutes long and the first six are detailed here (by clicking 'next') http://bbc.in/1EQTPpn The last episode detailing the ZX Spectrum will presumably be on 25-SEP-2015. You can also download the episodes to listen to on the way to work or catch up on iPlayer. They will be retained indefinitely. In other news the latest wheeze from Retro Computing is a documentary by Paul Andrews on his new chum Sir Clive Sinclair. You can crowdfund it n...

Re: ANN: ZX Spectrum +2g ROM set
Ok, some time later ... there's a specification for the 128Ke (http:// scratchpad.wikia.com/wiki/ZX_Spectrum_128Ke), Paul Farrow has completely bug-fixed the UK 128 Editor ROM and it turns out that some things just don't want to work with the Spanish ROM. Also Hideki suggested including support for BBC BASIC which seemed like a neat idea. So now the ROM set looks like this: 0: Fully bug-fixed UK 128 editor with two additional menu items [BBC BASIC | USR 0] 1: Fully bug-fixed 48 BASIC with numeric keypad support patches and the telvision tester 2: BBC BASIC (Z80) adapted by JG Harston ...

Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48Kb Home Computer + Games !
Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48Kb Home Computer + Games Have a Look!! http://cgi.ebay.nl/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8142928977&ssPageName=MERC_VI_ReBay_Pr2_PcY_BID and make a Bid :o) ...

ANN
Hi all, I'm happy to announce to this group the release of GoSpeccy[1] - a ZX Spectrum emulator written in Go. There are a lot of ZX Spectrum emulators around so, why reinventing the wheel? Well, because it was a great learning experience about speccy, emulators and Go. In addition, GoSpeccy is based on a concurrent[2] architecture. Concurrency is the strongest peculiarity of GoSpeccy and - I think - it opens new interesting scenarios in the contest of computer emulation. If you like this software, please watch it on github! Seeing a growing number of watchers is an excellent motivation...

ANN: tcl8.4.4.4++ docus in chm und java format
Hello, I added some additional packages to the tcltk-man pages: tcllib1.5 - Man pages of tcllib 1.5 modules (CVS october 2003). BWidget1.6 - Man pages of BWidgets 1.6 (CVS august 2003). Tix8.2 - Man pages of Tix8.2 Databases: mk4tcl, tclodbc2.3, tclsqlite Csaba Nemethis Packages: tablelist3.3, wcb2.8 Windows specific packages: winutils, cwind, shortcut, optcl, ffidl Object oriented extensions: itcl, (snit, stooop see inside tcllib1.5) links: java: http://www.dgroth.de/tcl8.4.4/ chm: http://www.dgroth.de/tcltk_documentation.html Please note that there are existing viewers for chm-files also for LINUX/UNIXes (xCHM, displaychm) more infos on my webpages. Suggestions (missing packages etc...) welcome. regards, Detlef --- Dr. Detlef Groth Max-Planck-Institut fuer Molekulare Genetik Ihnestr. 63/73 D-14195 Berlin Tel.: + 49 30 - 8413 1235 Email: nospamdgroth@molgen.mpg.de remove nospam for answer ...

[ANN]
Hi all, the GoSpeccy team is glad to announce a new GoSpeccy[1] release. GoSpeccy is a ZX Spectrum 48k emulator written in Go. This release adds a bunch of new features: * A new concurrent, goroutine-based design[2] * Beeper support * An interactive scriptable console (based on a small wrapper around the GNU readline library) * The ability to search for snapshots, roms and scripts in a predefined set of directories None of this would have been even possible without the contribution of =E2=9A=9B[3]. So I wish to give kudos and publicly thank =E2=9A=9B for the = grea...

FS: Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48K Computer USA-CANADA
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5143961431&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT ...

I've programmed "GTA 4" for the Sinclair Spectrum!
I've just finished programming "GTA 4" for the Sinclair Spectrum. Now you can play one of the best games of all time on your Sinclair machine.It will work on a standard 48K machine. The game is on 7 cassettes. Come and get it here: www.gta4sinclairspectrum.com Gil Paury schrieb: > I've just finished programming "GTA 4" for > the Sinclair Spectrum. > > Now you can play one of the best games of all time > on your Sinclair machine.It will work on a standard > 48K machine. > > The game is on 7 cassettes. > > Come and get it here:...

Datasheet 4116 memory chips; searching for Sinclair ZX Spectrum parts
Hello, I'm suffering from the well known Blinking Coloured Blocks Problem (BCBP) on my 48K Sinclair ZX Spectrum. The 12V, 5V and -5V lines seem ok, 7805 regulator seems ok, ULA is 100% ok (put it in a different machine). Changed an electrolytic capacitor that had some slight damage. Last one in the list (not looking forward to desolder these ones), are the 4116 16K base memory chips... But where to find replacements (peferrably in the Netherlands)? I also might want to change the transistors T4 and T5 (ZTX types), but I have not found these as well... One electronics shop offered me as ...

Loads of Sinclair QL & ZX Spectrum magazines waiting to be picked up
Hello all, unfortunately my father recently died. He left behind loads and loads of old QL Quanta, QL World, QL Today and other Sinclair related magazines that i don't want to throw away. If anyone is interested in picking them up then you can call me on my mobile phone, number +31-6-26168268. (The magazines are to be picked up in The Hague, Holland). Bye, Markus On Wed, 5 May 2004 at 19:36:15, SomeOne wrote: (ref: <e09i90dba8n6bfgo3894j5jn8fq7fidsqt@4ax.com>) >Hello all, > >unfortunately my father recently died. He left behind loads and loads >of old QL Quanta, QL World, QL Today and other Sinclair related >magazines that i don't want to throw away. If anyone is interested in >picking them up then you can call me on my mobile phone, number >+31-6-26168268. (The magazines are to be picked up in The Hague, >Holland). > >Bye, > >Markus I have asked in ql-users mailing list. I am sorry to hear the news. What is your father's name so we can remove him from our mailing lists. I also have an email list which I ought to check too, and often names are not on that. -- Tony Firshman <firstname>@<surname>.co.uk On Wed, 5 May 2004 23:12:38 +0100, Tony Firshman <animpossiblenameforspambastardstoinvent@firshman.co.uk> wrote: >On Wed, 5 May 2004 at 19:36:15, SomeOne wrote: >(ref: <e09i90dba8n6bfgo3894j5jn8fq7fidsqt@4ax.com>) > >>Hello all, >> >>unfortunately my father recen...

Ann: kbs 0.4.4
kbs -- kitgen build system (version 0.4.4 for tcl/tk 8.5.13 and 8.6.0) The system can generate [Tclkit] and [Tclkit Lite] executables, Tcl packages, starkits and starpacks for different operating systems. Additional documentation can be found under <http://wiki.tcl.tk/18146> Sources and pre compiled binary interpreters are available from <http://sourceforge.net/projects/kbskit> News * changed versions: tcl/tk 8.5.13, tcl/tk 8.6.0, bwidget 1.9.6, memchan 2.3, sqlite 3.7.15.1, tablelist 5.7 * Windows and Linux binaries Regards, Rene On Monday, January 7, 2013 2:19:24 PM UTC, rene wrote: > kbs -- kitgen build system (version 0.4.4 for tcl/tk 8.5.13 and 8.6.0) Thanks very much! Any chance of getting Solaris and AIX binaries - I work on these systems but they don't have internet access so building myself would be tricky? Colin. Am Dienstag, 8. Januar 2013 13:20:33 UTC+1 schrieb Colin Macleod: > On Monday, January 7, 2013 2:19:24 PM UTC, rene wrote: > > > kbs -- kitgen build system (version 0.4.4 for tcl/tk 8.5.13 and 8.6.0) > > > > Thanks very much! Any chance of getting Solaris and AIX binaries - I work on these systems but they don't have internet access so building myself would be tricky? I will build Solaris 8 binaries on Friday. Unfortunately I don't have access to AIX. Only a old IRIX system. rene On Tuesday, January 8, 2013 12:51:42 PM UTC, rene wrote: >...

Web resources about - [ANN] ZX Spectrum +4 petition - comp.sys.sinclair

Spectrum of theistic probability - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Let us consider the appropriateness or otherwise of someone (call him ' Philo ') describing himself as a theist, atheist or agnostic. I would ...

Making a Murderer filmmakers Moira Demos and Laura Ricciardi coming to Australia for Spectrum Now Festival ...
The filmmakers behind the hit Netflix series will be in conversation with Charlie Pickering at an exclusive festival event.

Award-winning artist and tattooist Leslie Rice brings his tattoo parlour to Spectrum Now
Award-winning artist and tattooist Leslie Rice brings his tattoo parlour to the Spectrum Now festival.

Handheld ZX Spectrum brings ‘80s gaming to your morning commute
While last year's officially licensed ZX Spectrum Vega —a plug-and-play games-only version of the UK's finest 1980s home computer—didn't quite ...

Dish: Less Downside Given Spectrum Discount, Says Wunderlich
Shares of satellite TV provider Dish Network (DISH) are up $1.66, or almost 4%, at $45.82, after Wunderlich Securities’s Matthew Harrigan raised ...

The Vega+ is a handheld ZX Spectrum packed with retro goodness
If you grew up in the UK in the 1980s, you likely either had a Sinclair ZX Spectrum or a Commodore 64. I was firmly in the Spectrum camp, and ...

People from all over the political spectrum compared Trump to Hitler this weekend
... accomplishment was educating the world about the joys of bunga bunga parties . That said, a lot of people from across the political spectrum ...

T-Mobile gets $2 billion boost ahead of game-changing spectrum auction
... compete with arch-rivals AT&T and Verizon. The company (Nasdaq: TMUS) is stocking up on cash ahead of a Federal Communications Commission spectrum ...

Tea Party Caucus Chairman Tim Huelskamp Endorses Ted Cruz, a ‘Full Spectrum Conservative’
Tea Party Caucus Chairman Tim Huelskamp Endorses Ted Cruz, a ‘Full Spectrum Conservative’

The pee color spectrum: What it means
The color of your pee can change depending on how hydrated you are, what foods you've been eating, and even as a weird side effect to certain ...