f



connecting a real spectrum to US power and TV

Hi,

I have a real spectrum lying around for over 20 years here in the US - 
would like to see if it still works. I have bought a transformer to 
handle the voltage, but am still struggling to find an affordable 
solution for PAL to ATSC (US digital TV standard) conversion. Any ideas?
0
Supratim
11/17/2016 2:23:28 AM
comp.sys.sinclair 6096 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

11 Replies
279 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 35

On Wed, 16 Nov 2016 21:23:28 -0500, Supratim Sanyal wrote:
> I have a real spectrum lying around for over 20 years here in the US - 
> would like to see if it still works. I have bought a transformer to 
> handle the voltage, but am still struggling to find an affordable 
> solution for PAL to ATSC (US digital TV standard) conversion. Any ideas?

Do the composite video mod [1] (no need to deactivate the modulator if you
are OK with adding another Cinch socket) and get an el-cheapo LCD monitor
off Ebay or Amazon such as [2]. Of course this display just has 3.5", but
there are larger ones available as well.

HTH & Greets,
Volker

[1] http://www.retrogamescollector.com/simple-zx-spectrum-composite-mod/
[2] https://www.amazon.de/TaoTronics-TT-CM01-Einparkhilfen/dp/B004VQD966

-- 
@:  W E B 2 0 1 6 at B A R T H E L D dot N E T
3W: www.bartheld.net
0
Volker
11/17/2016 8:47:32 AM
On 17/11/2016 02:23, Supratim Sanyal wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a real spectrum lying around for over 20 years here in the US -
> would like to see if it still works. I have bought a transformer to
> handle the voltage, but am still struggling to find an affordable
> solution for PAL to ATSC (US digital TV standard) conversion. Any ideas?
>
You won't find an affordable solution for PAL to ATSC I'm sure. Look for 
a PAL to HDMI interface if you're sure your TV can't deal with a 576i 
50Hz PAL signal. In either case you'll need to do a composite mod first.
0
Guesser
11/17/2016 10:52:47 AM
On Wednesday, November 16, 2016 at 9:23:34 PM UTC-5, Supratim Sanyal wrote:
> Hi,
> 
> I have a real spectrum lying around for over 20 years here in the US - 
> would like to see if it still works. I have bought a transformer to 
> handle the voltage, but am still struggling to find an affordable 
> solution for PAL to ATSC (US digital TV standard) conversion. Any ideas?

I did the composite mod (it's really simple) and am able to use the Spectrum machines with a LCD monitor without a problem. Also, I picked up a power supply on Amazon that can handle 9V with 1A and it works beautifully.

The only caveat I can offer is pulling the machine apart can damage the keyboard membrane so you'll either want to have a new one standing by, or be VERY careful separating the two halves of the machine. Unfortunately that's easier said than done.

Hope this helps, and hope you have great success running your speccy over here.
0
Craig
11/17/2016 8:41:51 PM
In article <MPG.3296dea810ac09fb98968a@news.eternal-september.org>, 
supratim@riseup.invalid says...
> 
> Hi,
> 
> I have a real spectrum lying around for over 20 years here in the US - 
> would like to see if it still works. I have bought a transformer to 
> handle the voltage, but am still struggling to find an affordable 
> solution for PAL to ATSC (US digital TV standard) conversion. Any ideas?

Thank you all. I now have things to look up and try!
0
Supratim
11/18/2016 11:09:46 PM
I'm sure there used to be an rgb interface for those old style monitors. 
Inside the Speccy there are colour difference signals though, and there were 
always tvs that could cope with the higher line speed and slower frame rate 
over there, I read about them but whether anyone still has a working one is 
anyones guess
I did wonder if one of those monitor conversion boxes you can get for  tvs 
these days might be able to help.
 Brian

-- 
 -----  -
This newsgroup posting comes to you directly from...
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Supratim Sanyal" <supratim@riseup.invalid> wrote in message 
news:MPG.3296dea810ac09fb98968a@news.eternal-september.org...
> Hi,
>
> I have a real spectrum lying around for over 20 years here in the US -
> would like to see if it still works. I have bought a transformer to
> handle the voltage, but am still struggling to find an affordable
> solution for PAL to ATSC (US digital TV standard) conversion. Any ideas? 


0
Brian
11/23/2016 6:08:52 PM
I thought it was ntsc, never twice the same colour as we used to say!
 What is the US composite, is it pal or ntsc?
 Brian

-- 
 -----  -
This newsgroup posting comes to you directly from...
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Volker Bartheld" <news2016@bartheld.net> wrote in message 
news:xrl7cn6jj8oc.dlg@news.bartheld.net...
> On Wed, 16 Nov 2016 21:23:28 -0500, Supratim Sanyal wrote:
>> I have a real spectrum lying around for over 20 years here in the US -
>> would like to see if it still works. I have bought a transformer to
>> handle the voltage, but am still struggling to find an affordable
>> solution for PAL to ATSC (US digital TV standard) conversion. Any ideas?
>
> Do the composite video mod [1] (no need to deactivate the modulator if you
> are OK with adding another Cinch socket) and get an el-cheapo LCD monitor
> off Ebay or Amazon such as [2]. Of course this display just has 3.5", but
> there are larger ones available as well.
>
> HTH & Greets,
> Volker
>
> [1] http://www.retrogamescollector.com/simple-zx-spectrum-composite-mod/
> [2] https://www.amazon.de/TaoTronics-TT-CM01-Einparkhilfen/dp/B004VQD966
>
> -- 
> @:  W E B 2 0 1 6 at B A R T H E L D dot N E T
> 3W: www.bartheld.net 


0
Brian
11/23/2016 6:10:58 PM
On Wed, 23 Nov 2016 18:10:58 -0000, Brian Gaff wrote:
> I thought it was ntsc, never twice the same colour as we used to say!
>  What is the US composite, is it pal or ntsc?

It's NTSC. However almost any reasonably modern LCD TV (or monitor) can do
both.

Greets,
Volker,

used to know NTSC as "Never the same color" (and "Never Tested Since
Christ"). P_ay the A_dditional L_uxury has its own shortcomings. Meanwhile
the standards are dead anyhow, PAL just meaning "576 TV" lines now, or
576p as the HD-enthusiasts would say.

-- 
@:  W E B 2 0 1 6 at B A R T H E L D dot N E T
3W: www.bartheld.net
0
Volker
11/23/2016 7:44:27 PM
On Wed, 23 Nov 2016 20:44:27 +0100
Volker Bartheld <news2016@bartheld.net> wrote:

> PAL just meaning "576 TV" lines now, or
> 576p as the HD-enthusiasts would say.

576i actually
-- 
Daniele
0
Daniele
11/23/2016 7:57:27 PM
On 23/11/2016 19:44, Volker Bartheld wrote:
> used to know NTSC as "Never the same color" (and "Never Tested Since
> Christ"). P_ay the A_dditional L_uxury has its own shortcomings. Meanwhile
> the standards are dead anyhow, PAL just meaning "576 TV" lines now, or
> 576p as the HD-enthusiasts would say.
>

If you give up, they win. You must keep reaching through the internet 
and slapping people with a delay line when they say things like "PAL DVD"
0
Guesser
11/23/2016 8:45:34 PM
On Wed, 23 Nov 2016 20:45:34 +0000
Guesser <alistair@zxnet.co.uk> wrote:

> If you give up, they win. You must keep reaching through the internet 
> and slapping people with a delay line when they say things like "PAL
> DVD"

To be fair to the non-pedants, it does actually *say* �PAL� on the box.
For some reason. Blame the Interplanetary Lords of the Disc, or whoever
it is decides these things.

-- 
Duncan Snowden.
0
Duncan
11/24/2016 4:52:51 PM
Volker Bartheld wrote:

> PAL just meaning "576 TV" lines now, or
> 576p as the HD-enthusiasts would say.

576i...


-- 
Daniel Mandic
0
Daniel
11/28/2016 1:25:34 AM
Reply: