Fuller Orator (speech synthesis box)

Hello,

Is there anyone out there with more info on the Fuller Orator speech
box? It does not seem to work as the Currah Speech unit and I don't
have any documentation with it. I searched the Internet and
www.worldofspectrum.org of course, but no luck.

If there is anyone with documentation who is willing to scan these
page, that would be really appreciated!!

Most urgent question, is how the video connection works. The Fuller
Orator blocks the video out of the Spectrum and seems to replace it
with a composite out??? I'm not sure about this and don'w wnt to do any
tricky experiments. The connection for what I think is composite out,
is a 3,5mm jack, same like the mic and ear connections...

Many thanks in advance.

George

0
georgedb (15)
11/6/2006 9:31:28 AM
comp.sys.sinclair 6096 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

GdB wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is there anyone out there with more info on the Fuller Orator speech
> box? It does not seem to work as the Currah Speech unit and I don't
> have any documentation with it. I searched the Internet and
> www.worldofspectrum.org of course, but no luck.

WOS has the demonstration tape that came with the unit - you have to
search for 'orator' rather than 'fuller orator' for it to turn up in the
search though...

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseek.cgi?regexp=^Fuller+Box+%26+Orator+Demonstration$&pub=^Fuller+Micro+Systems+Ltd$

 From what I remember, accessing the chip is a fairly primitive "OUT
123,n where n is a number for the allophone you want" affair - the demo
tape should give you the relevant numbers.

> Most urgent question, is how the video connection works. The Fuller
> Orator blocks the video out of the Spectrum and seems to replace it
> with a composite out??? I'm not sure about this and don'w wnt to do any
> tricky experiments. The connection for what I think is composite out,
> is a 3,5mm jack, same like the mic and ear connections...

Hmm, are you sure that isn't an audio out? The unit I bought (which was
actually a Fuller Box AY-chip unit, but the circuit board says Fuller
Orator on it, which leads me to believe that the Fuller Master Unit,
Fuller Box and Fuller Orator are all basically the same thing but with
either the SP0256 or AY chip missing) had that 3.5mm jack desoldered and
replaced with a wire link, evidently so that the user could thread their
TV lead through the box and into the Speccy's own video out. I soldered
a jack back in, and it behaved like a normal switched audio output
(disabling the internal speaker while it's in use). So, um, I'm not
really sure what Fuller expected people to do about the video output...
as for me, I just run it with the case off.
0
gasman (790)
11/6/2006 12:30:24 PM
Aha, interesting, that IS weird...

Good point, "wiring" the normal TV connector through the open Fuller
box (my thinking out of the box seems totally blocked)... Mine only
contains the SP0256AL2 speech synthesis chip, I can't remember if there
was an empty IC socket...

Thanks.

If there's anyone out there who still has documentation, that would be
fun...

Cheers,

George

Matthew Westcott schreef:

> GdB wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Is there anyone out there with more info on the Fuller Orator speech
> > box? It does not seem to work as the Currah Speech unit and I don't
> > have any documentation with it. I searched the Internet and
> > www.worldofspectrum.org of course, but no luck.
>
> WOS has the demonstration tape that came with the unit - you have to
> search for 'orator' rather than 'fuller orator' for it to turn up in the
> search though...
>
> http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseek.cgi?regexp=^Fuller+Box+%26+Orator+Demonstration$&pub=^Fuller+Micro+Systems+Ltd$
>
>  From what I remember, accessing the chip is a fairly primitive "OUT
> 123,n where n is a number for the allophone you want" affair - the demo
> tape should give you the relevant numbers.
>
> > Most urgent question, is how the video connection works. The Fuller
> > Orator blocks the video out of the Spectrum and seems to replace it
> > with a composite out??? I'm not sure about this and don'w wnt to do any
> > tricky experiments. The connection for what I think is composite out,
> > is a 3,5mm jack, same like the mic and ear connections...
>
> Hmm, are you sure that isn't an audio out? The unit I bought (which was
> actually a Fuller Box AY-chip unit, but the circuit board says Fuller
> Orator on it, which leads me to believe that the Fuller Master Unit,
> Fuller Box and Fuller Orator are all basically the same thing but with
> either the SP0256 or AY chip missing) had that 3.5mm jack desoldered and
> replaced with a wire link, evidently so that the user could thread their
> TV lead through the box and into the Speccy's own video out. I soldered
> a jack back in, and it behaved like a normal switched audio output
> (disabling the internal speaker while it's in use). So, um, I'm not
> really sure what Fuller expected people to do about the video output...
> as for me, I just run it with the case off.

0
georgedb (15)

Vacancy in speech synthesis at the Centre for Speech Technology Research
Centre for Speech Technology Research University of Edinburgh Research Fellow in Speech Synthesis The Centre for Speech Technology Research at the University of Edinburgh is seeking a research fellow to work on the speech synthesis project "Automatically-determined inventories for speech synthesis". This project uses machine learning techniques to automatically discover, from speech data, a set of units for speech synthesis - that is, an alternative to manually-specified phoneme-based units such as diphones. This research is currently being conducted within a concatenative (i.e. un...

Fuller Box on a 128k?
Hi, Does anyone know whether a Fuller box can be used with a 128k Spectrum, in order to get 6-channel sound? If so, does any software exist that takes advantage of this? BTW, if anyone has details on the ports used by the Melodik (or about the Didaktik machines in general), I'd very much appreciate it! Cheers, -- Stuart Brady Stuart Brady wrote: > Hi, > > Does anyone know whether a Fuller box can be used with a 128k Spectrum, > in order to get 6-channel sound? Yep, that idea occurred to me last year, and after a bit of hardware assistance from Mike (who *will* be comin...

Speech synthesis not in English?
Hi. Can the OS X Speech Synthesis Manager handle languages other than English? If so, where exactly can one set the language? I'd prefer to keep my general system (Finder, menus, dialogs, etc.) in one language, and limit the use of the second language only to speech synthesis stuff. Therefore, it would be great if it were possible to set the language used for speech synthesis separately from the language used by the rest of the system. Is this possible? If this is not possible, then second best would be a way to set the speech synthesis language that is quick and does not require r...

Why is text to speech synthesis so bad?
I have heard a good many - the DragonNS one, the coolspeech ones and many others and none of them sound natural. I beieve the Edinburgh festival one is slightly better but after all these years of reserach you would think they could come up with a better product than we see? Speech synthesis has been around in LPC format since the 1960s after all. They all seem to have dreadful american android voices. The coolspeech 'British' one sounds like a certrain Cambridge Professor on a bad day! Tom Have you ever listened to the AT&T one? http://www.research.att.com/projects/tts/demo....

synthesis of black box modules
hello, everyone, i am now working with synplify pro.and i have a program with 3 component as black box. but now there are 3 warning : unbound component mapped to black box.and when i use technology view, there is no ports and instances. i do not know what is the matter. Any replies greatly appreciated. thanks zhaoke my program: library IEEE; use IEEE.STD_LOGIC_1164.ALL; use IEEE.STD_LOGIC_ARITH.ALL; use IEEE.STD_LOGIC_UNSIGNED.ALL; -- Uncomment the following lines to use the declarations that are -- provided for instantiating Xilinx primitive components. --library UNISIM; --use UNISIM.VComponents.all; entity test is end test; architecture Behavioral of test is component ARM7 is port ( ADR : out std_logic_vector(23 downto 0); DAT : inout std_logic_vector(15 downto 0); OE, WR0, CSEXT2, CSEXT3 : out std_logic ); end component; component OSCI is port( CLK : out std_logic ); end component; component myfpga is port( A : in std_logic_vector(23 downto 0); D : inout std_logic_vector(15 downto 0); OE , WR0, CSEXT2, CSEXT3 : in std_logic; CLK : in std_logic); end component; signal ADRS : std_logic_vector(23 downto 0); signal DATS : std_logic_vector(15 downto 0); signal OES, WR0S, CSEXT2S, CSEXT3S, CLKS : std_logic; begin my_arm : ARM7 port map(ADRS, DATS, OES, WR0S, CSEXT2S, CSEXT3S); my_fpga : myfpga port map(ADRS, DATS, OES, WR0S, CSEXT2S, CSEXT3S, CLKS); my_osci : OSCI port map(CLKS); e...

Speech synthesis in Mathematica 6
In a 2006 message Purcell wrote: There is a routine (probably by Neil Soiffer) given at http://www.mathematica-users.org/webMathematica/wiki/wiki.jsp? pageName=Speech that works with Version 5.2. It uses LinkWrite, rather than FrontEndExecute. I find this useful for calling out status and warning messages from long calculations that are running in the background. The "voice" code selects from among the system installed voices that your OS provides. Speak[x_,voice_Integer:1]:=( LinkWrite[$ParentLink,SetSpeechParametersPacket[voice]]; LinkWrite[$ParentLink,SpeakTextPacke...

Positions in Text-to-Speech Synthesis
Research & Development Positions in Text-to-Speech Synthesis =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= A suburban Boston based speech synthesis company is looking for talented individuals with background in Speech Technology. Four year old company is funded by investors and is in development mode of their unique and proprietary speech synthesizer. Ideal Candidate: =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Resolves complex technical problems by applying a thorough understanding of an engineering or scientific discipline. Uses the development and application of advanced methods, ...

Speech recognition and synthesi in Python
Pretty nice example code... https://ggulati.wordpress.com/2016/02/24/coding-jarvis-in-python-3-in-2016/ ...

Unit Selection Speech Synthesis
I must implement a unit selection speech engine for farsi language. I want to know? 1)Is Chatr OpenSource and free for download or no? I can't find download link for it. 2)I want to know how must determine weights for Join Cost? 3) I need a source code similar to viterbi to find minimum path in a graph? 4)I want to know, what unit is good in researches. half phone or diphone.also I want to know for convert phone labeling to halfphone is there any automatic process or no? 5) so,if you can please help me for select best features for unit and join cost? Clustering unit selection is...

Constrained vocabulary speech synthesis
Hi, I have a "fallback" speech synthesizer that is used when the primary speech synthesizer is unavailable. Depending on the user's abilities, this may be the *only* output modality available to him/her (i.e., he/she may not be able to perceive other available modalities) so *everything* communicated to the user must (potentially) pass through this channel. As the synthesizer is only intended to be used when the system is operating in a degraded mode, it doesn't have to resolve a limitless vocabulary. _For_the_most_ part_, I have complete control over what it ...

CMU_ARCTIC speech synthesis databases
CMU ARCTIC databases for speech synthesis http://www.festvox.org/cmu_arctic/ John Kominek and Alan W Black This announces the release of 4 single-speaker databases specifically designed for speech synthesis research. Each database consists of around 1150 phonetically-balanced utterances totaling around 40000 phonemes per databases. The databases were recorded in stereo at 32KHz/16bit in studio quality conditions with a standard audio channel and synchronized EGG (Electroglottograph/Laryn...

Time line in speech synthesis...
Hello Everyone, I was wondering if someone can tell me how the time is adjusted in a concatenative synthesis for a word. What I mean is that the following sentence can be synthesized in two ways: "Who is going to school with you?" "Whooo is going to schoooool with you?" I am not sure, if the timeline for the words 'who' and 'school' is decided by the linguist (depending on the context of the paragraph) or the signal processing (based on the duration of phone in the concatenative database.) Any help is highly appreciated. Thanks, ~Sarah ...

Time line in speech synthesis...
Hello Everyone, I was wondering if someone can tell me how the time is adjusted in a concatenative synthesis for a word. What I mean is that the following sentence can be synthesized in two ways: "Who is going to school with you?" "Whooo is going to schoooool with you?" I am not sure, if the timeline for the words 'who' and 'school' is decided by the linguist (depending on the context of the paragraph) or the signal processing (based on the duration of phone in the concatenative database.) Any help is highly appreciated. Thanks, ~Sarah ...

( picoVerse-:( Microsoft Speech Synthesis API ) )
Can anyone please point me at info about Dolphin and the microsoft speech synthesis api? Or connecting to .net via Dolphin COM? Thank you Hi! I'm currently working on a Dolphin/.NET Bridge project (originally called DolphinDotNET). In the next days I'm going to upload the very first bits of it to: http://code.google.com/p/dolphindotnet/ so I'll let you know if you want to play with it. Someone else out there also interested on it? Best regards, Fede On 7 nov, 00:42, picoVerse <picove...@gmail.com> wrote: > Can anyone please point me at info...

Speech synthesis from hand-drawn spectrograms
Today as I was messing around with a spectrogram synthesiser I created, I tried to reproduce by hand the spectrogram of a bit of speech, as detailed at the bottom of this page http://arse.sourceforge.net/examples.shtml As I am very satisfied with how good it sounds given the minimal amount of effort I put in the creation of this sound, it occured to me that I could probably just learn how to draw every phoneme and thus draw speech from scratch, while at the same time gain a better understanding of how speech is made, and maybe even be able to read speech from spectrograms. I'd...

FA: Sinclair QL (Boxed) VGC
Sinclair QL Computer (Boxed) with extras. *No Reserve* http://tinyurl.com/3dt9dh "Linus Torvalds, creator of Linux, owned a Sinclair QL in his youth, and used it to learn programming. He was inspired by both the shortcomings and virtues of the Sinclair QDOS operating system to create Linux." ...

Jouke Visser, author of Speech::Synthesis
Greetings. Jouke Visser's CPAN module http://search.cpan.org/perldoc?Speech::Synthesis provides a generic interface for different TTS Engines. That would be good, but it was last updated in 2005 and only supports: MSAgent, SAPI4 and SAPI5 (Win32), MacSpeech and Festival so it doesn't yet know about espeak ... The visually-impaired community has too many of these half-abandoned projects :-( It should be fairly easy to use the Speech::eSpeak module: http://search.cpan.org/perldoc?Speech::eSpeak to give it espeak, though... I haven't been able to contact Jouke Visser (are you here, Jouke?) and if he's actually disappeared, then is there a procedure for someone to adopt this module in CPAN ? Regards, Peter -- Peter Billam www.pjb.com.au www.pjb.com.au/comp/contact.html replying to Peter Billam , Jouke Visser wrote: Hi Peter, > I haven't been able to contact Jouke Visser (are you here, Jouke?) I'm here! It's been quite a while since I've been involved in anything for the Perl community, but I'm back again :) You can contact me privately and I'll see what I can do. Cheers, Jouke -- On 2013-11-18, Jouke Visser wrote: > You can contact me privately and I'll see what I can do. Hi Jouke, I emailed your address at studio-mv.nl - did you get that ? If not, email me at the address given on: http://www.pjb.com.au/comp/contact.html Regards, Peter -- Peter Bil...

query on speech synthesis using microcontroller avrmega8
hi i'm working on a project which is a game based on speech in avrmega8. pl let us know how to start storing and reading speech signals in avr mega8 <richhariyamkr@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1106308973.818959.221860@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... > hi > i'm working on a project which is a game based on speech in > avrmega8. > pl let us know how to start storing and reading speech signals in avr > mega8 > Google came up with this evaluation board http://www.speech.cs.cmu.edu/comp.speech/Section6/Recognition/hm2007.html Peter > hi > i'm working on a project which is a game based on speech in > avrmega8. > pl let us know how to start storing and reading speech signals in avr > mega8 If you store the speech in 64 kbps PCM format you will fit about 2 minutes of speech per megabyte. If you use an AT45DBxxx dataflash, you can today have up to 16 minutes inside a single device. The only think you need to store/retrieve is an SPI interface. Best Regards Ulf Samuelsson ...

Computational Linguist Positions in Text-to-Speech Synthesis
Computational Linguist Positions in Text-to-Speech Synthesis =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- A suburban Boston based speech synthesis company is looking for talented individuals with background in Speech Technology. Four year old company is funded by investors and is in development mode of their unique and proprietary speech synthesizer. The Computational Linguist will work with the company's technical team to develop and integrate linguistic resources and applications for the company's TTS engine. Primary Duties: =-=-=-=-=-=-=- # Produce and...

Precision Synthesis verilog netlist black box question
Hey, Just wondering if anyone knows the command to stop module declarations of black boxes being written out to the verilog netlist precision generates for post-synthesis simulation. At the moment i'm having to trawl through my post synthesis netlist and delete the empty module declarations. It's annoying and lengthy (as there are many). There must be some attribute i can set to false or a command to halt precision writing out these empty module declarations I just cant seem to find it in the documentation. Any help would be amazing. Cheers, Rob. ...

5th ISCA Speech Synthesis Workshop: Call for papers
5th ISCA Speech Synthesis Research Workshop http://www.ssw5.org Carnegie Mellon University Pittsburgh, USA June 14-16th 2004 This is a call for papers for a research workshop on new issues in speech synthesis. We welcome papers on all aspects of speech synthesis and generation including but not limited to: prosody signal processing voice building emotional and stylistic speech text processing for audio output unit selection multimodal synthesis ...

Speech synthesis of dead actor's voice?
Hello: I'm new here, but I am somewhat familiar with normal use of Festival. I am building a robot called "Groucho" and I would like him to sound like his namesake (Julius "Groucho" Marx). This is purely a personal project that will not be commercialized and I own all the DVDs and CDs that I would pull the voice from. The problem is that all the voice creation programs I've seen require a speaker to speak fairly specifically, such as a series of nonsense words that contain the sounds of the language in question. Can anybody give me any pointers to...

Lead Software Engineer Positions in Text-to-Speech Synthesis
Lead Software Engineer Positions in Text-to-Speech Synthesis =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- A suburban Boston based speech synthesis company is looking for talented individuals with background in Speech Technology. Four year old company is funded by investors and is in development mode of their unique and proprietary speech synthesizer. The successful candidate will be a key individual contributor and will lead small software development team. The primary responsibility will be to work with the technology development team to implement highly effective software sol...

Combo Box to List Box
I have a combo box that gets it's values from a table. For example: ID Name 1 Book 2 Magazine 3 Novel I have a list box that displays a list of records. When the user adds the record a want the list box to be updated with the values from my fields including the combo box. The problem is, the value of the combo box (depending on the selection) is 1, 2, or 3 and that is what is displayed in the list box. I know it is an easy problem, but how do I get the list box to display 'Book' instead of 1. The default property .Value of the ComboBox is .Column(0) To refer to any of the other columns use the index (zero based): Something like: Me.TextBox = Me.ComboBox.Columns(1) -- ================================================= Rich Harrington - Prairie State College MIS rharringN.0.$-P.@.m@covad.net http://www.dbko.com ================================================= you're gonna need a bigger boat... -30- "Jeremy R. Harner" <jrh04009@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1d0511ec.0306260607.21695e0e@posting.google.com... > I have a combo box that gets it's values from a table. For example: > > ID Name > 1 Book > 2 Magazine > 3 Novel > > I have a list box that displays a list of records. When the user adds > the record a want the list box to be updated with the values from my > fields including the combo box. The problem is, the value of the > combo box (depe...

Web resources about - Fuller Orator (speech synthesis box) - comp.sys.sinclair

Phase distortion synthesis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Figure B is similar to A, only showing the development of a square wave instead. For x values below the first knee in the phase angle insert, ...

GrainProc: live granular synthesis on the App Store
Read reviews, compare customer ratings, see screenshots, and learn more about GrainProc: live granular synthesis. Download GrainProc: live granular ...

nierenberg-synthesis - a set on Flickr
... Photos The Commons Getty Collection Galleries World Map App Garden Camera Finder The Weekly Flickr FlickrBlog Upload Sign In nierenberg-synthesis ...

The Synthesis of Imagination: Rony Abovitz and Magic Leap at TEDxSarasota - YouTube
Surprises abound in this multimedia, surrealist talk/performance by Rony Abovitz and Magic Leap at TEDxSarasota. Rony is a recognized innovator ...

Myron Hofer's synthesis of evolution and development
... His side interest in psychoanalytic theory has been contributory to that. A recent paper of his summarizes the field: The emerging synthesis ...

A Quick Demo of doing Direct Digital Synthesis on an AVR / Arduino
barking_dogs_dds_demo - A Quick Demo of doing Direct Digital Synthesis on an AVR / Arduino

Embed with Elliot: Audio Playback with Direct Digital Synthesis
Direct-digital synthesis (DDS) is a sample-playback technique that is useful for adding a little bit of audio to your projects without additional ...

Günther Witzany: Modern Synthesis "Must Be Replaced," Communication Key to Evolution - Suzan Mazur
Günther Witzany received his PhD in philosophy from Ludwig Maximilans University in Munich for his thesis on "the foundation of ethical norms ...

Speech recognition and synthesis shield runs Linux
Audeme has gone to Kickstarter to launch a "MOVI" Arduino shield designed for offline speech recognition and synthesis that runs Debian on an ...

Synthesis and characterization of stable main-chain polymeric metal complex dyes based on phenothiazine ...
Nature.com Synthesis and characterization of stable main-chain polymeric metal complex dyes based on phenothiazine or ... Nature.com Article ...