Kempston disk interface.

Hi there people,

I seem to be the only person in the known universe that has one of these,
so I have managed to tap out the circuit to it, and am trying to understand
how everything works, however in typical 80's style, the designers seem to
have taken several shortcuts, such as incomplete address decoding, and
diode logic.

Anyway I'm currently trying to work out how the onboard rom is enabled, as
I would guess it also sits in the 0-16K reigon, as does the internal ROM.
However I am unclear as to the function of the /ROMCS line on the spectrum
expansion connector, looking at the spectrum schematic, it seems to be
generated by the ULA, but the disk interface also seems to maybe force it
high also (presumably to disable the internal ROM). Does this make sense ?

Is there a description somewhere of the meanings of the spectrum bus
signals, from what I remeber the manuals just list them, obviously the
majority are just Z80 signals that can be looked up on the Z80 data sheet.

Having now worked out the circuit for this interface, and entered it into
Eagle (PCB making program), is there anywhere that I can upload it, so that
others may have access to it if they ever need it (this asumes that I don't
have the only one in the known universe....).

Cheers.

Phill.
0
Prime
8/12/2008 11:33:56 PM
comp.sys.sinclair 6096 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Kempston disk interface
Hi there people, Firstly apologies if this gets double posted to the group, tried posting via demon but that doesn't seem to be working, so trying giganews.... I seem to be the only person in the known universe that has one of these, so I have managed to tap out the circuit to it, and am trying to understand how everything works, however in typical 80's style, the designers seem to have taken several shortcuts, such as incomplete address decoding, and diode logic. Anyway I'm currently trying to work out how the onboard rom is enabled, as I would guess it also sits in the...

interface to interface
Can I write a program to read packet from one interface and output packet to another interface? I wonder if os identify the two IP belong to interface in local machine, transmitting the packet in IP layer,and no packet goes out the interface. Is it possible to happen? In article <7d4caedb.0410181756.627370d@posting.google.com>, te0543@giga.net.tw (Joseph) wrote: > Can I write a program to read packet from one interface and output > packet to another interface? If you can write a program to read from one interface, and you can write a program to write to the other interface, wh...

Free
I am getting ready to move and have probably a couple hundred 3.5" disks from my Apple IIgs days way back when. I also have some 5.25" disks as well, although not nearly as many. I cannot verify if the contents of what is on the disks is any good anymore, but I was a "warez pup" back in the days and the 3.5" disks were archives of stuff I had downloaded. I would like to donate these as blanks to whoever wants them. I cannot come to grips with simply throwing them away. All I ask is that I be paid shipping costs in return. If you are interested, please contact me by e-mail. Please give my childhood memories a good home and spare them from the trash heap. I'd also like to mention that local pickup is available for no cost what so ever - I am in Pittsburgh, PA -- 15213 zip code, not far from CMU. On Apr 28, 5:24=A0pm, gol...@gmail.com wrote: > I am getting ready to move and have probably a couple hundred 3.5" > disks from my Apple IIgs days way back when. =A0I also have some 5.25" > disks as well, although not nearly as many. =A0I cannot verify if the > contents of what is on the disks is any good anymore, but I was a > "warez pup" back in the days and the 3.5" disks were archives of stuff > I had downloaded. =A0I would like to donate these as blanks to whoever > wants them. =A0I cannot come to grips with simply throwing them away. > All I ask is that I be paid shipping co...

Hard Disk Interface
Hi everyone, Is there any Hard Disk interface for the ZX81 ? searching on the WEB I can find an interface for connect the Commodore 1541 Disk Drive unit, but those days is really difficult to use floppy disks ,I think that a Hard Disk Interface is the best way to use the real hard. So anyone know about some HDD interface project ? If anyone want to build one I can work on the Software part. Thanks for any info, Gus gus wrote: > Hi everyone, > Is there any Hard Disk interface for the ZX81 ? searching on the WEB I > can find an interface for connect the Commodore 1541 Disk Drive unit,...

sys disk for O2
Hello, I bought an O2 without a system disk. Any recommendations on what to get? Thanks Warren -----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =----- http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =----- laurelcreek <warrenNOSPAM@gibson2.com> wrote: > I bought an O2 without a system disk. Any recommendations on what to get? almost any sca disk will do. I have a 10k rpm 18gb IBM which substitutes the previous 9gb and works well. Maybe you should avoid 15k rpm disks for heat i...

DIY Kempston Interface
Anyone know of a site that has instructions and diagrams and possible pcb diagrames of a kempston interface? Regards ------------------------------------------------------------------ Graham ------------------------------------------------------------------ Spectrum Plus3 - Multiface3 - ZXAZTASP - 3.5 External drive - ABBA Switch Spectrum 48K - Plus D Amstrad 6128 - 2 x Rom Box - Multiface2 - 512k Ram Expantion - 3.5 External Drive - ABBA Switch found a two chip circuit for kemston type interface Uses just a single 74LS365 hex buffer, a single 74LS32 quad-OR, a Spectrum edge connec...

which disks are the internal disks
This is the format output on a Sun T5240, I am trying to figure out which disks are internal and which ones are connected to the SAN, any help will be appreciated # format Searching for disks... The current rpm value 0 is invalid, adjusting it to 3600 The current rpm value 0 is invalid, adjusting it to 3600 done c2t5006016339A041CBd0: configured with capacity of 49.98GB c3t5006016239A041CBd0: configured with capacity of 49.98GB AVAILABLE DISK SELECTIONS: 0. c1t2d0 <ATA-Hitachi HTE54505-C70A-465.76GB> /pci@400/pci@0/pci@8/scsi@0/sd@2,0 1. c1t3d0 &l...

Which disk for system disk
A quick question regarding system disks: If you had a machine with 2 SCSI disks (one 18GB one 70GB) which would you use as the system disk? Would you put all the software on the 70GB disk, along with the user files? or put the minimum on the system disk and use the larger disk for applications and user files (email etc.) Any ideas? Eddie wrote: > A quick question regarding system disks: > > If you had a machine with 2 SCSI disks (one 18GB one 70GB) > which would you use as the system disk? > > Would you put all the software on the 70GB disk, along with the user > f...

Disks and Disk Drives
I started a new page about Disks and disk drives. If anyone is interested it is at: http://www.s100-manuals.com/Disk-drives.htm It is a work in progress. It includes information gathered from a variety of sources including Herb Johnson. If there are any errors just let me know at randy at s100-manuals dot com. I will be adding info on DPH's etc soon. Randy On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 17:24:45 -0600, "Randy McLaughlin" <randy@nospam.com> wrote: >I started a new page about Disks and disk drives. If anyone is interested >it is at: > >http://www.s100-manuals...

Coping disk to disk
I use an e-mac with a DVD/CD burner. If I need to copy an intire disk how would I do that? Thank you. In article <2005122216081516807-rleejames@bellsouthnet>, Rlee James <rleejames@bellsouth.net> wrote: > I use an e-mac with a DVD/CD burner. If I need to copy an intire disk > how would I do that? > Thank you. Use Toast. It will make a disk image of your CD and Burn it to a blank CD. Place the CD to be burned in the main window and click copy. Follow the onscreen instructions -- *But what if I'm a figment of MY imagination? Bob in Carmel, CA ...

Disk to disk through network
A little off topic, but basically file transfers Posted before about transferring lots of big files (gigs) between a P3 workhorse & a P4 (with main storage). Both machines are 100Mbps networked and on the same desk, using a kvm switch to manage. So got gig ethernet cards. Thought I'd do some "before" timings using a 1,048 meg file & Explorer. D-Link router in the middle right now. P3 send to P4 2:32 P3 sucks from P4 2:32 P4 sends to P3 6:43 P4 sucks from P3 5:46 Any thoughts? > A little off topic, but basically file transfers > Posted before about ...

ENUM IN INTERFACE (SYS VLOG)
Hi This is about usage of enum in interface..im seeing strange errors !!! pls see the following code interface xclr; typedef enum {red,blue,green} color; color type1,type2; modports tr1 (input type1,output type2....) ..... endinterface module tr1_type (xclr x,...); typedef x.color clr; // here i am seeing an error saying x.color is not visible clr c1,c2,c3...; //usage assgin xyz = c1.blue ; // can i do this ?? (i want to assign ethe value to some internal code) assign x.type2 = 2; // output assignement (assign the output in the interface with some value) endmodu...

Disk to Disk copy
Hi, I have an external hard disk where I backup my files and system backups. Yesterday, I purchased a larger external hard disk and want to transfer everything to the new disk. The only command I have noticed is DISKCOPY which might do this. Will this copy everything from the source disk to destination disk? Will the Vista backup directories and shadow (backup) files be copied too? Is there any other tool (preferably freeware) that will do this for me? Thank you in advance. NJ > > Is there any other tool (preferably freeware) that will do this for me? I think Dri...

sys-filesystem interface advice
Hi, I'm going to add the Filesystem.mount_point method. It will simply return the mount point associated with the given file. Example: Filesystem.mount_point('/home/djberge/foo.txt') # => '/home' (RHEL Linux) My dilemma is what I should do when I can't find an associated mount point. For example, the device number for '/dev' on our RHEL box at work doesn't match the device number of any of the mount points. Which of these options seems most appropriate? 1 - Return nil 2 - Return '/' 3 - Return itself, e.g. '/dev' would return '/d...

disk to disk backup
Dear all, I've got a disk with plenty of data that needs making a backup. Since new hard disks aren't very expansive we decided that we are going to buy another disk (identical ATA disk) and that we will do a backup of data to it. It seems to me that a good starting point would be making a mirror of the current disk to the new one, but what next? It doesn't seem acceptable to mirror the disk every day.. Some kind of differential method would be appropriate. I know that a lot of tools exists that can do such a things with tapes, but it looks like they use tar and other achiving pr...

Kaypro Hard Disk Interface
Can anybody please publish the schematics of the interface which is needed to add a WD1002-HDO Controller to a Kaypro 84? Thanks in advance. Uwe Hmm, If nobody has the schematic, possibly anybody can make photos of both sides of the board. It seems the board only contains a 74LS138 and some resistors. "Uwe Poppe" <uwe.poppe@t-online.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:e239sv$6pn$01$1@news.t-online.com... > Can anybody please publish the schematics of the interface which is needed > to add a WD1002-HDO Controller to a Kaypro 84? > Thanks in advance. > Uwe > ...

Disk to Disk copy
Hi, I have an external hard disk where I backup my files and system backups. Yesterday, I purchased a larger external hard disk and want to transfer everything to the new disk. The only command I have noticed is DISKCOPY which might do this. Will this copy everything from the source disk to destination disk? Will the Vista backup directories and shadow (backup) files be copied too? Is there any other tool (preferably freeware) that will do this for me? Thank you in advance. NJ > > Is there any other tool (preferably freeware) that will do this for me? I think Dri...

Random disks in a disk
Hi guys, I saw some codes about generating random points in a disk and I was wondering if you can help with generating N disks (Radius r) inside a circle (Radius R>r) {or inside a square} without an overlap. I would really appreciate your help. Thank you in advance. On Feb 15, 8:23=A0pm, "Amira Barhoumi" <amira.barho...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi guys, > > I saw some codes about generating random points in a disk and I was wonde= ring if you can help with generating N disks (Radius r) inside a circle (Ra= dius R>r) {or inside a square} without an overlap. &g...

VAL: DISCiPLE disk interface
Anyone give me an idea how much a working DISCiPLE disk interface is worth, please? Bare disciple only- no drives, manual, disks. DISCiPLE with reset button, snapshot button, two network interfaces, two joystick interfaces, disc drive port, printer port. thanks, Mike -- (\__/) (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination. ...

directories other than SYS* on the system disk
Apart from SYS* and of course 000000, there are also various TCPIP$* directories on the system disk, as well as DOC$TOOLS. I would like to have them somewhere else. The TCPIP$* directories seem to correspond to the the corresponding (duh!) TCPIP$* usernames in SYSUAF. Can I just copy the stuff over to another disk, redefine the default device in SYSUAF and be done with it? Or do I need to restart TCPIP? What about DOC$TOOLS? I've never consciously used this. It appears to be static so it could stay there if necessary, but I would like to move the TCPIP$* stuff to a n...

why disk Avail < (disk Size
df -H: Filesystem Size Used Avail Capacity Mounted on /dev/ar0s1f 179G 2.6G 162G 2% /usr where is ~15 G ? -santtu On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 16:40:19 +0200 Santtu Lintervo wrote: > Filesystem Size Used Avail Capacity Mounted on > /dev/ar0s1f 179G 2.6G 162G 2% /usr > where is ~15 G ? tunefs(8) is the key. Note the options -m and -o. Regards Chris Le 30-01-2006, Santtu Lintervo <invalid@invalid.invalid> a écrit : > df -H: > > Filesystem Size Used Avail Capacity Mounted on > /dev/ar0s1f 179G 2.6G 162G 2% /usr > > where is ~15 G ? > > -santtu Used for metadata (inodes, superblocks and so on) i guess. Francis. On 2006-01-30, Francis Gudin <fgudin@nerim.net> wrote: > Le 30-01-2006, Santtu Lintervo <invalid@invalid.invalid> a écrit : >> df -H: >> >> Filesystem Size Used Avail Capacity Mounted on >> /dev/ar0s1f 179G 2.6G 162G 2% /usr >> >> where is ~15 G ? >> >> -santtu > > Used for metadata (inodes, superblocks and so on) i guess. 15 gigabytes? probably not... most of it's likely reserved space. On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 16:40:19 +0200 Santtu Lintervo <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote: > df -H: > > Filesystem Size Used Avail Capacity Mounted on > /dev/ar0s1f 179G 2....

ARM920 and IDE Disk Interface
I need to tack an IDE drive interface onto an ARM uC (Atmel AT91RM9200), so I can have an ATAPI CD-ROM and hard drive. I'm looking for opinions on the "most Linux compatible" way to do this. My belief, looking at the IDE code, is that mapping the IDE port into a single location in the ARM's memory with a 16-bit latch and transceiver could work with a minimal kernel hack to identify the address. Anyone care to give me a sanity check? Thanks. ...

cassette interface as disk replacement
Where almost any laptop computer comes with a headphone jack and a micropho= ne jack, has anyone considered writing some sort of ProDOS program that cou= ld use the cassette interface as a real-time virtual hard drive? Is such a= thing possible? (I don't mean the ADTPro cassette interface--I mean actua= lly using the audio interface for real-time storage and retrieval by progra= ms running on the Apple II.) On 11/24/13 7:12 PM, KP wrote: > Where almost any laptop computer comes with a headphone jack and a microphone jack, has anyone considered writing some sort of ProDOS prog...

Disk II interface drawing
Here is what I did, for those interested. I split the schematic in half 20 pixels to the right and to the left. Then I drew a cut line on the center of the left half, and an alignment line on the right half. Now you can print them, cut the center line on the left half, align them and tape them together with invisible tape. Or if you can't seem to do it because you are all thumbs, I can make it for you and mail you one. It looks good and is really clear. For those of you who are into this for the thrill, I have the roms and Logic Sequencers for both 13 and 16 sector Disk II controllers and you can use eproms (2716) in place of the original PROMs. Build your own, Just for fun. I'm making a converter that will give you both 13 and 16 on existing controllers, if you are into that, again for fun, and they'll be really cheap. Not sure yet if I need to double up the sequencer since the one on the 16 sector controller should read and write 13 sectors with the 13 sector rom. This will be switchable, but not on the fly I don't think. I have to have prototypes made and try them out and let you all know. Anyway, I'm going to do this one next. This is for fun in between working on other more important projects. :o) Bill @ GarberStreet Enterprizez };-) Web Site - http://garberstreet.netfirms.com Email - willy46pa @ comcast DOT net Change DOT to a dot to contact me --- This email ain't infected, dude! Checked by AVG anti-virus system...

Web resources about - Kempston disk interface. - comp.sys.sinclair

Interface - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

PayPal for iOS updated w/ completely new iPhone 6-optimized interface, much more
At long last PayPal has updated its iOS app with a completely redesigned interface that optimizes the experience for iPhone 6/iPhone 6s and 6 ...

Waze 4.0 unveiled with revamped user interface
... post, Waze has uploaded a video straight to YouTube to tell us what’s new. Basically, we are looking at a complete refresh to the user interface, ...

LibreOffice 5.1 reorganizes user interface, reduces start-up times
... 5.1 32-bit . It comes just under six months after version 5.0 debuted back in August yet unveils some major changes to the user interface as ...

ERP software gets modern data, mobile and social user interface
The user interface is one area where ERP software vendors are differentiating themselves, according to a Technology Evaluation Centers analyst. ...

ERP software gets modern data, mobile and social user interface
... tied to its mainframe-era roots. But in recent years, ERP vendors have tried mightily to overcome that reputation by modernizing the user interface, ...

Opera adds mute tab option and better download interface
Opera may be lagging behind the more popular browser choices today, but it hasn't given up on rewarding its loyal users with new features. Version ...

OpenMarket Launches Global SMS Programming Interface
With Automatic Originator Selection, OpenMarket will automatically select the correct messaging originator per the destination address.

AMD is supposedly planning a 32-core CPU with an eight-channel DDR4 interface
AMD may be planning a new 32-core server CPU once Zen launches but whether that's a good thing or not depends on whether its an Intel bunker ...

Hints Of Apple's Futuristic iPhone Interface Revealed
The US Patent Office has released a batch of patents assigned to Apple, and one of them details a new way of identifying yourself and allowing ...