Most unusable device for the Spectrum?

So, what, in your opinion was the most unusable or useless device made for
the Spectrum?

I don't recall its actual sales name, but I'll submit that plastic device
that made the rubber keys act like a joystick using mechanics. It was
wobbly, never stayed in place, and knackered the keys fast.

Then there was the Trickstick, which  nobody could actually work out how to
control.
Though I loved the device dearly, the uSpeach 's idea of attempting to add a
sound channel to the Speccy output in a retro manner was doomed from the
start to produce disgusting patterning and drift.

Brian

Email: briang1@blueyonder.co.uk

Briang1 (1214)
9/30/2006 8:23:50 AM
comp.sys.sinclair 6096 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

For me, it had to be the Rotronics Wafadrive.  The damn thing blew up my
spectrum, and then so did the replacement!

WM

"Brian Gaff" <Briang1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> So, what, in your opinion was the most unusable or useless device made for
> the Spectrum?
>
> I don't recall its actual sales name, but I'll submit that plastic device
> that made the rubber keys act like a joystick using mechanics. It was
> wobbly, never stayed in place, and knackered the keys fast.
>
> Then there was the Trickstick, which  nobody could actually work out how
> to control.
> Though I loved the device dearly, the uSpeach 's idea of attempting to add
> a sound channel to the Speccy output in a retro manner was doomed from the
> start to produce disgusting patterning and drift.
>
> Brian
>
> --
> Brian Gaff....Note, this account does not accept Bcc: email.
> graphics are great, but the blind can't hear them
> Email: briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
> ______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

0
wid (17)
9/30/2006 8:27:42 AM
On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 08:23:50 GMT, "Brian Gaff"
<Briang1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>So, what, in your opinion was the most unusable or useless device made for
>the Spectrum?
>
>I don't recall its actual sales name, but I'll submit that plastic device
>that made the rubber keys act like a joystick using mechanics. It was
>wobbly, never stayed in place, and knackered the keys fast.

There was also a racing game (Formula 1, I think) that came with what
was supposed to be a steering wheel, but was basically a round
ash-tray-like thing made out of plastic that you where supposed to place
on the rubber keys for "realistic steering-wheel action". It was
absolutely rubbish, as was the game itself as I recall!
0
chrrris1 (213)
9/30/2006 9:00:51 AM
Brian Gaff wrote:
> So, what, in your opinion was the most unusable or useless device made for
> the Spectrum?

I'm sure many people loved them, but for me it would have to be the
lightpens.  I had the Datel Lightwriter and could never get the damned
thing to work properly.

"Create superb graphics" said the blurb.... HOW???  The movement was
jerky and imprecise, trying to "draw" on an early-80's goldfish bowl of
a TV screen was nigh on impossible, and the software continually
produced epileptic-fit-inducing flashes for the pen to locate itself.
It quickly went into the darker recesses of an upstairs cupboard, along
with a useless programmable joystick interface that had 4 LED lights to
indicate the 4 joystick directions, and stubbornly refused to work.

--
Matt
CGC2006 - www.mattrudge.net/cgc2006

0
hcs (593)
9/30/2006 10:23:03 AM
Kempston Joystick IF.

(I would rather take the Sinclair IF. Though, I personally prefer 56780
so and so.)

Best regards,

Daniel Mandic
Daniel Mandic <daniel_mandic@aon.at> did eloquently scribble:
> Kempston Joystick IF.

So now you're claiming one of the most widely used interfaces on for the
spectrum was uselessly crap?
|   spike1@freenet.co.uk   |                                                 |
|Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)| "ARSE! GERLS!! DRINK! DRINK! DRINK!!!"          |
|            in            | "THAT WOULD BE AN ECUMENICAL MATTER!...FECK!!!! |
|     Computer Science     | - Father Jack in "Father Ted"                   |
spike1 (8171)
9/30/2006 12:33:16 PM
Ah, that was not the case with all of them, I knew a chap who worshipped his
Wafadrive. Incidentally, the blow up problems were usually the naff old
ribbon connection, as I understand it.

Brian

--
Brian Gaff - briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
in the display name may be lost.
"WM" <wid@mak.com> wrote in message
> For me, it had to be the Rotronics Wafadrive.  The damn thing blew up my
> spectrum, and then so did the replacement!
>
> WM
>
> "Brian Gaff" <Briang1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>> So, what, in your opinion was the most unusable or useless device made
>> for the Spectrum?
>>
>> I don't recall its actual sales name, but I'll submit that plastic device
>> that made the rubber keys act like a joystick using mechanics. It was
>> wobbly, never stayed in place, and knackered the keys fast.
>>
>> Then there was the Trickstick, which  nobody could actually work out how
>> to control.
>> Though I loved the device dearly, the uSpeach 's idea of attempting to
>> add a sound channel to the Speccy output in a retro manner was doomed
>> from the start to produce disgusting patterning and drift.
>>
>> Brian
>>
>> --
>> Brian Gaff....Note, this account does not accept Bcc: email.
>> graphics are great, but the blind can't hear them
>> Email: briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
>> ______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

0
Briang1 (1214)
9/30/2006 1:27:41 PM
Yes, light pens were not best suited to a machine which had problems with
timings and a TV that ballooned when bright spots appeared.

The Trojan could work on a TV with the brightness down a lot, and a very
slow steady hand.

Brian

--
"Matt Rudge" <hcs@iol.ie> wrote in message

> Brian Gaff wrote:
>> So, what, in your opinion was the most unusable or useless device made
>> for
>> the Spectrum?
>>

> I'm sure many people loved them, but for me it would have to be the
> lightpens.  I had the Datel Lightwriter and could never get the damned
> thing to work properly.
>
> "Create superb graphics" said the blurb.... HOW???  The movement was
> jerky and imprecise, trying to "draw" on an early-80's goldfish bowl of
> a TV screen was nigh on impossible, and the software continually
> produced epileptic-fit-inducing flashes for the pen to locate itself.
> It quickly went into the darker recesses of an upstairs cupboard, along
> with a useless programmable joystick interface that had 4 LED lights to
> indicate the 4 joystick directions, and stubbornly refused to work.
>
> --
> Matt
> CGC2006 - www.mattrudge.net/cgc2006

0
Briang1 (1214)
9/30/2006 1:31:27 PM
spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:

> So now you're claiming one of the most widely used interfaces on for
> the spectrum was uselessly crap?

Not technically!

(There is always the Sinclair Interface II.)

Best Regards,

Daniel Mandic

P.S.: I have deviated from Kempston interfaces. I would collect my
thoughts from that time, if you want further investigations. It's not
only to the fact I like to use 56780 and other keyboard combinations.
Just ignore him, you will never change the mind of  this sort of
person...snigger...

I used to see many gadgets for the Spectrum at shows, many which never
actually surfaced in a product salable form.

Did Dave Corney's 80 column card ever get produced?

What about that robot arm?

Then there was something called a domestic interface, which, although it had
a wonderful name, turned out to be just another port interface with relay
outputs.

Does anyone recall that manual scanner that was like  adevice you moved
along and then down a line to scan stuff into almost every computer ever
made as far as I could see. Totally useless!

There was even some kind of bio feedback device, or so it claimed, that
could monitor your stress rates and give you soothing light shows if you
were too up tight... Yeah, right.

I also recall the so called multi tasking Spectrum system, that looked like
a bank of memory chips and some kind of interface, They showed two listings
in a split screen window, and showed you could run two programs at once etc.

Fine, by why, at least on a Spectrum, and the asking price was ridiculous.

Brian

--
<spike1@freenet.co.uk> wrote in message
> Daniel Mandic <daniel_mandic@aon.at> did eloquently scribble:
>> Kempston Joystick IF.
>
> So now you're claiming one of the most widely used interfaces on for the
> spectrum was uselessly crap?
> --
> |   spike1@freenet.co.uk   |
> |
> |Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)| "ARSE! GERLS!! DRINK! DRINK! DRINK!!!"
> |
> |            in            | "THAT WOULD BE AN ECUMENICAL
> MATTER!...FECK!!!! |
> |     Computer Science     | - Father Jack in "Father Ted"

Briang1 (1214)
9/30/2006 1:41:58 PM
Daniel Mandic <daniel_mandic@aon.at> did eloquently scribble:
> spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:

>> So now you're claiming one of the most widely used interfaces on for
>> the spectrum was uselessly crap?

> Not technically!

If not technically, then how?
And why are you saying the kempston interface is useless?

> (There is always the Sinclair Interface II.)

Which came 2 or 3 years later when protek and kempston were acknowledged as
the standards by then.
--
|                          |What to do if you find yourself stuck in a crack|
|  spike1@freenet.co.uk    |in the ground beneath a giant boulder, which you|
On Sat, 30 Sep 2006, Brian Gaff wrote:

> So, what, in your opinion was the most unusable or useless device made for
> the Spectrum?

"Le Stic" - a joystick that had the normal pointy-uppy bit that most
joysticks had, but this one did away with the joystick base, choosing
instead to use just a sucker that you stuck to your desk.

I also couldn't get to grips with the Konix Speedking, but they sold
massively.

--
Nick Humphries, nick@egyptus.co.uk             http://www.egyptus.co.uk/
Your Sinclair Rock'n'Roll Years                 http://www.ysrnry.co.uk/
On 2006-09-30, Brian Gaff <briang1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> Does anyone recall that manual scanner that was like  adevice you moved
> along and then down a line to scan stuff into almost every computer ever
> made as far as I could see. Totally useless!

These days you can get a fat pen that records everything you write for
sommat like 100 pages and bluetooths it to compatible devices.  I had
some assessor for health insurance come round a little while ago and
she used one of them to fill out the forms then beam them all to a
crackberry straight to the company databases.  Quite nifty.  I'd be
interested if I was able to read my own handwriting.

news05 (494)
9/30/2006 3:11:43 PM
On 2006-09-30, Brian Gaff <Briang1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> So, what, in your opinion was the most unusable or useless device made for
> the Spectrum?

Lenslok :-/

news05 (494)
9/30/2006 3:12:08 PM
Yes, I'd agree with that most certainly, you could, once you figured it out,
do away with it and  pretty well know the patterns anyhow.

 Sadly, I would not be able to use it now.

I found a device called the Slomo very useful though.

Brian

--
"Ian Rawlings" <news05@tarcus.org.uk> wrote in message
> On 2006-09-30, Brian Gaff <Briang1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> So, what, in your opinion was the most unusable or useless device made
>> for
>> the Spectrum?
>
> Lenslok :-/
>
> --
> Blast off and strike the evil Bydo empire!

0
Briang1 (1214)
9/30/2006 3:59:30 PM
Brian Gaff <briang1@blueyonder.co.uk> did eloquently scribble:
> I found a device called the Slomo very useful though.

Heheheh...
I've still got my slomo.
Really good for freezing a game that didn't have pause or seeing how a game
drew the play area by slowing the machine down to a few pixels a second.
--
|                          |What to do if you find yourself stuck in a crack|
|  spike1@freenet.co.uk    |in the ground beneath a giant boulder, which you|
|                          |can't move, with no hope of rescue.             |
|Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)|Consider how lucky you are that life has been   |
|           in             |good to you so far...                           |
|    Computer Science      |   -The BOOK, Hitch-hiker's guide to the galaxy.|
0
spike1 (8171)
9/30/2006 4:00:16 PM
I agree, lenslock wins hands down. The Konix Speedking joystick is
still my favourite game controller of all time.

0
cheveron (940)
9/30/2006 5:27:44 PM
I say the worst was the 'Micro Speech'

horrid box you plugged into the back with a microphone, and what you said
was supposed to come up on the screen.... total pap!

<cheveron@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I agree, lenslock wins hands down. The Konix Speedking joystick is
> still my favourite game controller of all time.

sorry - that was 'Micro Command'

i think

Melissa Ward <melissa_ward@tiscali.co.uk> did eloquently scribble:
> I say the worst was the 'Micro Speech'

> horrid box you plugged into the back with a microphone, and what you said
> was supposed to come up on the screen.... total pap!

Um... The currah micro speech was almost the exact opposite of what you
just described. It was speech synthesis, not speech recognition.
(The only reason you plugged it into the mic port of the speccy was to allow
the speccy sound to go through to the tv as well as the speech)

|   spike1@freenet.co.uk   |   Windows95 (noun): 32 bit extensions and a    |
|                          | graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit |
|Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)| operating system originally  coded for a 4 bit |
|            in            |microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company, that|
|     Computer Science     |        can't stand 1 bit of competition.       |
spike1 (8171)
9/30/2006 6:47:06 PM
WM wrote:
> For me, it had to be the Rotronics Wafadrive.  The damn thing blew up my
> spectrum, and then so did the replacement!
>
> WM
>
> "Brian Gaff" <Briang1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>> So, what, in your opinion was the most unusable or useless device made for
>> the Spectrum?

On a similar note, the Triton Quick Disk drive. Many years I picked one
up without any disks - I've still got the drive somewhere but I've
*never* seen disks for it. And just like above, it broke the only
Spectrum I ever plugged it in to. It might have just been a marginal
Speccy, but I didn't dare risk it again after that, seeing as I've got
no disks for it anyway!

--
Alex Taylor
spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:

> If not technically, then how?

You really want to know it?? Know you won't. You would turn everything
I say out and back. If you are satisfied and cocksure with Kempston,
ok, I am not.

> And why are you saying the kempston interface is useless?

Many things are useless, what for other people may be of use.
Crap for example.

> Which came 2 or 3 years later when protek and kempston were
> acknowledged as the standards by then.

Fine. PC-mouse movement got smooth, nearly twenty years after ST, Amiga
and Co.. Many awaited.... why? can you say why?

Best Regards,

Daniel Mandic
Brian Gaff wrote:
> So, what, in your opinion was the most unusable or useless device made for
> the Spectrum?
>
> I don't recall its actual sales name, but I'll submit that plastic device
> that made the rubber keys act like a joystick using mechanics. It was
> wobbly, never stayed in place, and knackered the keys fast.
>
> Then there was the Trickstick, which  nobody could actually work out how to
> control.
> Though I loved the device dearly, the uSpeach 's idea of attempting to add a
> sound channel to the Speccy output in a retro manner was doomed from the
> start to produce disgusting patterning and drift.
>
> Brian

The +2 tape deck.

Daren
0
Daren
9/30/2006 7:02:07 PM
Daniel Mandic <daniel_mandic@aon.at> did eloquently scribble:
> spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:

>> If not technically, then how?

> You really want to know it?? Know you won't. You would turn everything
> I say out and back. If you are satisfied and cocksure with Kempston,
> ok, I am not.

OK, what's wrong with kempston then.
You must have a reason for thinking one of the best joystick interfaces was
useless enough to add it to this thread.
|   spike1@freenet.co.uk   |                                                 |
|Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)| "ARSE! GERLS!! DRINK! DRINK! DRINK!!!"          |
|            in            | "THAT WOULD BE AN ECUMENICAL MATTER!...FECK!!!! |
|     Computer Science     | - Father Jack in "Father Ted"                   |
spike1 (8171)
9/30/2006 7:09:03 PM
Daniel Mandic wrote:

> Fine. PC-mouse movement got smooth, nearly twenty years after ST,
> Amiga and Co.. Many awaited.... why? can you say why?

ST, Amiga, Acorn and Co.
spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:

> OK, what's wrong with kempston then.
> You must have a reason for thinking one of the best joystick
> interfaces was useless enough to add it to this thread.

sigh...

I dislike the way how Kempston JoyIF is often integrated. Sometimes you
can select no other Joystick... just Kempston fix :-(
(I dare to say, you could not even play by keyboard, haven't tried
....just exited)

2nd, and more important. When I cannot change that/a (any many other
happenings in my life...) fact, I avoid them. It's no problem for me to
avoid something popular.

Any other known extension is still explorable by me. Perhaps I will
correct my state, for the most useless device. Now it's Kempston :-)

Useless for ME... if you mean the most technically useless device, I
don't know.. I have just tested RGB, Kempston and a RF-VideoOut
extension. Where the Kempston is the only extension I have connected to
the User port. (And my own connector for testing the YUV-RGB Interface,
so far. Rev.4b)

Kind Regards,

Daniel Mandic
Daniel Mandic <daniel_mandic@aon.at> did eloquently scribble:
> spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:

>> OK, what's wrong with kempston then.
>> You must have a reason for thinking one of the best joystick
>> interfaces was useless enough to add it to this thread.

> sigh...

> I dislike the way how Kempston JoyIF is often integrated. Sometimes you
> can select no other Joystick... just Kempston fix :-(
> (I dare to say, you could not even play by keyboard, haven't tried
> ...just exited)

How is that the fault of the joystick interface?
Blame the games authors for making silly decisions, most (the vast majority)
allowed the person to choose keyboard/protek/kempston on the opening screen
before starting the game.
|   spike1@freenet.co.uk   |   Windows95 (noun): 32 bit extensions and a    |
|                          | graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit |
|Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)| operating system originally  coded for a 4 bit |
|            in            |microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company, that|
|     Computer Science     |        can't stand 1 bit of competition.       |
spike1 (8171)
> |   spike1@freenet.co.uk   |   Windows95 (noun): 32 bit extensions and a
> |
> |                          | graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8
> bit |
> |Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)| operating system originally  coded for a 4
> bit |
> |            in            |microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company,
> that|
> |     Computer Science     |        can't stand 1 bit of competition.

Hey Spike,  I presume your still faffing about with Linux

0
wid (17)
9/30/2006 8:19:00 PM
WM <wid@mak.com> did eloquently scribble:
> Hey Spike,  I presume your still faffing about with Linux

Faffing?
FAFFING?
:)
But yes, my home is still a microsoft free zone...

Do I know you?
|   spike1@freenet.co.uk   | "Are you pondering what I'm pondering Pinky?"   |
|Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)|                                                 |
|            in            | "I think so brain, but this time, you control   |
|     Computer Science     |  the Encounter suit, and I'll do the voice..."  |
spike1 (8171)
9/30/2006 8:39:21 PM
> WM <wid@mak.com> did eloquently scribble:
>> Hey Spike,  I presume your still faffing about with Linux
>
> Faffing?
> FAFFING?
> :)
> But yes, my home is still a microsoft free zone...
>
> Do I know you?

Not intimately, but yes.

Take Garfields teddy and remove an 'O'

0
wid (17)
9/30/2006 8:50:11 PM
WM <wid@mak.com> did eloquently scribble:
> <spike1@freenet.co.uk> wrote in message
>> WM <wid@mak.com> did eloquently scribble:
>>> Hey Spike,  I presume your still faffing about with Linux
>>
>> Faffing?
>> FAFFING?
>> :)
>> But yes, my home is still a microsoft free zone...
>>
>> Do I know you?

> Not intimately, but yes.

> Take Garfields teddy and remove an 'O'

Pokey?
Where have you been? You just came in, appeared to freak out for no good
reason and... (using my superduperadvanced quizbot !logseen routine...)
<spike1> !logseen pokey
<quizbot> pokey was last seen at 22:52 on 07 Jan 2006
<quizbot> The last thing (s)he said was "im fucked if i know whats going
on."
then left.

You coming back in or wot?
|   spike1@freenet.co.uk   |   Windows95 (noun): 32 bit extensions and a    |
|                          | graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit |
|Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)| operating system originally  coded for a 4 bit |
|            in            |microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company, that|
|     Computer Science     |        can't stand 1 bit of competition.       |
spike1 (8171)
9/30/2006 8:53:12 PM

> Pokey?
> Where have you been? You just came in, appeared to freak out for no good
> reason and... (using my superduperadvanced quizbot !logseen routine...)
> <spike1> !logseen pokey
> <quizbot> pokey was last seen at 22:52 on 07 Jan 2006
> <quizbot> The last thing (s)he said was "im fucked if i know whats going
> on."
> then left.

Probably because no one is actually in there having a conversation.  Or if
they are, it's about  cats or transsexuals :)

0
wid (17)
9/30/2006 9:03:24 PM
WM <wid@mak.com> did eloquently scribble:
> Probably because no one is actually in there having a conversation.  Or if
> they are, it's about  cats or transsexuals :)

Cats and transsexuals aren't the topic of conversation THAT often y'know.

|   spike1@freenet.co.uk   | "Are you pondering what I'm pondering Pinky?"   |
|Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)|                                                 |
|            in            | "I think so brain, but this time, you control   |
|     Computer Science     |  the Encounter suit, and I'll do the voice..."  |
spike1 (8171)
9/30/2006 9:31:17 PM
Wrong, you are getting confused, take more water with it.

Brian

--
Brian Gaff - briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
in the display name may be lost.
"Melissa Ward" <melissa_ward@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
>I say the worst was the 'Micro Speech'
>
> horrid box you plugged into the back with a microphone, and what you said
> was supposed to come up on the screen.... total pap!
>

> <cheveron@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> I agree, lenslock wins hands down. The Konix Speedking joystick is
>> still my favourite game controller of all time.

0
Briang1 (1214)
9/30/2006 10:05:27 PM
Ah Transsexual Cat Simulator, I remember it well, was that not by
Mirrorsoft?

Brian

--

>> Pokey?
>> Where have you been? You just came in, appeared to freak out for no good
>> reason and... (using my superduperadvanced quizbot !logseen routine...)
>> <spike1> !logseen pokey
>> <quizbot> pokey was last seen at 22:52 on 07 Jan 2006
>> <quizbot> The last thing (s)he said was "im fucked if i know whats going
>> on."
>> then left.
>
> Probably because no one is actually in there having a conversation.  Or if
> they are, it's about  cats or transsexuals :)

0
Briang1 (1214)
9/30/2006 10:09:51 PM
I think you are a little unfair on the tape deck, it was no worse than many
data recorders as far as I could see.

I'd like to nominate the replacement for the rubber mat under the + keyboard
as particularly useless.

The idea was a good one, replace the rubber mat with springs and plungers,
however,  they neglected to realise that when you type, you do tend to hit a
key quite hard, and these plungers were hard nylon, and thus the membranes
wore out in about five months.

I put my mat back after the second membrane death.

Brian

--
"Daren" <pearcy@-removethis-gmail.com> wrote in message
> Brian Gaff wrote:
>> So, what, in your opinion was the most unusable or useless device made
>> for the Spectrum?
>>
>> I don't recall its actual sales name, but I'll submit that plastic device
>> that made the rubber keys act like a joystick using mechanics. It was
>> wobbly, never stayed in place, and knackered the keys fast.
>>
>> Then there was the Trickstick, which  nobody could actually work out how
>> to control.
>> Though I loved the device dearly, the uSpeach 's idea of attempting to
>> add a sound channel to the Speccy output in a retro manner was doomed
>> from the start to produce disgusting patterning and drift.
>>
>> Brian
>>

> The +2 tape deck.
>
> Daren

0
Briang1 (1214)
9/30/2006 10:14:56 PM
Brian Gaff <briang1@blueyonder.co.uk> did eloquently scribble:
> I think you are a little unfair on the tape deck, it was no worse than many
> data recorders as far as I could see.

It lacked the most important component in almost all seperate tape decks.
A tape counter.
|   spike1@freenet.co.uk   |                                                 |
|            in            |  suck is probably the day they start making     |
|     Computer science     |  vacuum cleaners" - Ernst Jan Plugge            |
spike1 (8171)
9/30/2006 10:18:44 PM
Brian Gaff escribi�:
> So, what, in your opinion was the most unusable or useless device made for
> the Spectrum?

The microdrive. I think tapes are even more reliable than microdrives... On the
other hand, wafas gave (and still give) me a good result.
On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 20:39:21 GMT, spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:

>WM <wid@mak.com> did eloquently scribble:
>> Hey Spike,  I presume your still faffing about with Linux
>
>Faffing?
>FAFFING?
>:)
>But yes, my home is still a microsoft free zone...

Be honest, it must annoy you though that nearly all speccy remakes and cool
stuff is windows based only though?

I'm not trying to flamebait you! Just curious to know if it does annoy you so.

--
        **************The Starglider***************  Public E-Mail.
        *  http://www.starglider.dynu.com/radio   * Ask for private

> Brian Gaff <briang1@blueyonder.co.uk> did eloquently scribble:
>> I think you are a little unfair on the tape deck, it was no worse than
>> many
>> data recorders as far as I could see.
>
> It lacked the most important component in almost all seperate tape decks.
> A tape counter.
> --
> |   spike1@freenet.co.uk   |
> |
> |Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)| "The day Microsoft makes something that
> doesn't |
> |            in            |  suck is probably the day they start making
> |
> |     Computer science     |  vacuum cleaners" - Ernst Jan Plugge

Briang1 (1214)
10/1/2006 7:17:26 AM
Now you see, I had little problems with Microdrives. I think the latter
version of the IF1 gave Microdrives a better deal. The whole floppy tape
approach, though  did arrive almost too late.

"McLeod / IdeaFix" <rodriguj@QUITAgmailESTO.com> wrote in message
> Brian Gaff escribi�:
>> So, what, in your opinion was the most unusable or useless device made
>> for the Spectrum?
>>

> The microdrive. I think tapes are even more reliable than microdrives...
> On the other hand, wafas gave (and still give) me a good result.

0
Briang1 (1214)
10/1/2006 7:19:21 AM
The Starglider <thestarglider@wibble.co.uk> did eloquently scribble:
> On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 20:39:21 GMT, spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:

>>WM <wid@mak.com> did eloquently scribble:
>>> Hey Spike,  I presume your still faffing about with Linux
>>
>>Faffing?
>>FAFFING?
>>:)
>>But yes, my home is still a microsoft free zone...
>>
> Be honest, it must annoy you though that nearly all speccy remakes and cool
> stuff is windows based only though?

> I'm not trying to flamebait you! Just curious to know if it does annoy you so.

Not annoy as such, no, cos I don't tend to think about them enough to annoy
me. But I do think "why the fuck can't these arseholes write the things to
be cross platform like a PROPER programmer for once" once in a while.
I'd say "irks" rather than annoys.

There have been a few remakes that made it to linux.
I've got spot on versions of cookie and pssst here, can't even remember
where I got them now. (actually, I've had 'em so long I can't even remember
if they still work with my current library setup)

It's not as if they even have an excuse these days, wot with all the cross
platform libraries out there, like SDL, clanlib, allegro....
--
|                          |What to do if you find yourself stuck in a crack|
|  spike1@freenet.co.uk    |in the ground beneath a giant boulder, which you|
|                          |can't move, with no hope of rescue.             |
|Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)|Consider how lucky you are that life has been   |
|           in             |good to you so far...                           |
|    Computer Science      |   -The BOOK, Hitch-hiker's guide to the galaxy.|
0
spike1 (8171)
10/1/2006 8:10:08 AM
Daniel Mandic wrote:
> spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:
>
> > If not technically, then how?
>
> You really want to know it?? Know you won't. You would turn everything
> I say out and back. If you are satisfied and cocksure with Kempston,
> ok, I am not.

But the original question wasn't about whether you *liked* a piece of
equipment - it was about equipment that was "unusable" or "useless".

The standard joystick interface for the Spectrum, which spawned many
clones, could hardly be thought of as "unusable" or "useless" in the
same way as the other devices mentioned in this thread.

--
Matt
CGC2006 - www.mattrudge.net/cgc2006

0
hcs (593)
10/1/2006 9:51:38 AM
Melissa Ward wrote:

> horrid box you plugged into the back with a microphone, and what you said
> was supposed to come up on the screen.... total pap!

That reminds me of a piece of "speech digitiser" software I had that
(IIRC) worked by taking voice input from the Mic socket.

I was fully convinced that I'd be able to make my speccy sound like Zen
from Blake's 7, but only succeeded in making it sound like me playing
the comb while having an asthma attack!

--
Matt
CGC2006 - www.mattrudge.net/cgc2006

0
hcs (593)
10/1/2006 9:59:50 AM
Matt Rudge <hcs@iol.ie> did eloquently scribble:

> Melissa Ward wrote:
>>
>> horrid box you plugged into the back with a microphone, and what you said
>> was supposed to come up on the screen.... total pap!
>>

> That reminds me of a piece of "speech digitiser" software I had that
> (IIRC) worked by taking voice input from the Mic socket.

> I was fully convinced that I'd be able to make my speccy sound like Zen
> from Blake's 7, but only succeeded in making it sound like me playing
> the comb while having an asthma attack!

Heheh, that was the limitation on the spectrum.
1 bit digitisation can't really do much. The best you can get is tim
follin's music, speech is almost totally unworkable if you want any degree
of quality, as demonstrated with such things as ghostbusters and Meteor
Storm.

When the AY comes into the mix you get an entirely different kettle of fish,
with loverly voices like "docking complete" in starglider.
|   spike1@freenet.co.uk   | "Are you pondering what I'm pondering Pinky?"   |
|Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)|                                                 |
|            in            | "I think so brain, but this time, you control   |
|     Computer Science     |  the Encounter suit, and I'll do the voice..."  |
spike1 (8171)
10/1/2006 10:13:24 AM
Matt Rudge wrote:

> But the original question wasn't about whether you liked a piece of
> equipment - it was about equipment that was "unusable" or "useless".

CSS is still technically inclined!? hmmm, if my English would be any
better, I could take part at philosphically or storytelling inclined
posts, at least.

Best Regards,

Daniel Mandic
Ian Rawlings wrote:
> On 2006-09-30, Brian Gaff <Briang1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> So, what, in your opinion was the most unusable or useless device made for
>> the Spectrum?
>
> Lenslok :-/

I agree on the unusable side (I never had any problems with it, although
  several kids at school did) but should you feel the need to get all
nostalgic about it, there is a lenslok emulator at
http://simonowen.com/spectrum/lenskey/ for you to use.

I think in terms of most useless device made for the spectrum, it's got
to be the massive DK-Tronics replacement keyboard for the spectrum. It
looks like it's made of bakelite, and is a big black box with red keys.
Worse still, I found typing on a +2 better.

Failing that, in runner up place I'd say the +2A, which I guess
technically was a spectrum, therefore not a device made for one, but had
all the compatibility of the +3 without the disk drive.
0
steve9304 (15)
10/1/2006 10:45:39 PM
In article <qQpTg.26968$r61.16413@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk>, Briang1
@blueyonder.co.uk says...
> So, what, in your opinion was the most unusable or useless device made for
> the Spectrum?
>
> I don't recall its actual sales name, but I'll submit that plastic device
> that made the rubber keys act like a joystick using mechanics. It was
> wobbly, never stayed in place, and knackered the keys fast.
>
> Then there was the Trickstick, which  nobody could actually work out how to
> control.
> Though I loved the device dearly, the uSpeach 's idea of attempting to add a
> sound channel to the Speccy output in a retro manner was doomed from the
> start to produce disgusting patterning and drift.
>
> Brian

dK'tronics Light Pen

Device's sole connection was to the Ear socket of the pc except for a
pass-through for power.

http://www.sincuser.f9.co.uk/016/hardwre.htm

In the advert had a drawing of someone drawing neat circles with it.
However, in reality, the slightest movement and you'd end up with a line
that went off the screen and we must have used it twice before
consigning it to the box of abandoned games.

Not long after my parents bought it for me, they released a much better
designed version that plugged into the edge connector.

Mal

0
spampit (234)
10/2/2006 9:23:00 AM
spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:
> Matt Rudge <hcs@iol.ie> did eloquently scribble:
>
> > Melissa Ward wrote:
> >>
> >> horrid box you plugged into the back with a microphone, and what you said
> >> was supposed to come up on the screen.... total pap!
> >>

> > That reminds me of a piece of "speech digitiser" software I had that
> > (IIRC) worked by taking voice input from the Mic socket.
>
> > I was fully convinced that I'd be able to make my speccy sound like Zen
> > from Blake's 7, but only succeeded in making it sound like me playing
> > the comb while having an asthma attack!
>
> Heheh, that was the limitation on the spectrum.
> 1 bit digitisation can't really do much. The best you can get is tim
> follin's music, speech is almost totally unworkable if you want any degree
> of quality, as demonstrated with such things as ghostbusters and Meteor
> Storm.

Yeah... I remember the first time I heard Tim Follin's music on Agent X
- it was the first time I'd heard such quality music coming from my
humble 48k Speccy (apart from the time I put the wrong tape in and
tried to LOAD a Deep Purple track)!

And of course there's always..... (should I do it?  It's Monday, how
much harm can it do??)

doo doo doooo dododo dododododo.....

:)

--
Matt
CGC2006 - www.mattrudge.net/cgc2006

0
hcs (593)
10/2/2006 10:59:23 AM
Matt Rudge <hcs@iol.ie> did eloquently scribble:
> doo doo doooo dododo dododododo.....

No! NOOOOOO! YOU EVIL EVIL MAN!
I'll be humming that all WEEK now!
dodododo-do dododododo-do-dododo-dodododododo

DAMNIT
--
|                          |What to do if you find yourself stuck in a crack|
|  spike1@freenet.co.uk    |in the ground beneath a giant boulder, which you|
|                          |can't move, with no hope of rescue.             |
|Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)|Consider how lucky you are that life has been   |
|           in             |good to you so far...                           |
|    Computer Science      |   -The BOOK, Hitch-hiker's guide to the galaxy.|
0
spike1 (8171)
10/2/2006 11:13:25 AM
spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:
> Matt Rudge <hcs@iol.ie> did eloquently scribble:
> > doo doo doooo dododo dododododo.....
>
> No! NOOOOOO! YOU EVIL EVIL MAN!
> I'll be humming that all WEEK now!
> dodododo-do dododododo-do-dododo-dodododododo
>
> DAMNIT

Ha!  No one can escape its insanely addictive power!!

First c.s.s. then..... THE WORLD!!

Muhahahahaha

(I think I need a lie down, actually the whole post works better if you
imagine some Phantom-of-the-Opera-esque music in the background)

--
Matt
CGC2006 - www.mattrudge.net/cgc2006

0
hcs (593)
10/2/2006 12:26:52 PM
In article <EYKdnT8sRuy82L3YRVnygw@giganews.com>, steve@remove-to-the-
from-reply-to.com says...

> I think in terms of most useless device made for the spectrum, it's got
> to be the massive DK-Tronics replacement keyboard for the spectrum. It
> looks like it's made of bakelite, and is a big black box with red keys.
> Worse still, I found typing on a +2 better.

I didn't mind my DK'tronics keyboard, apart from having to stick the
letters on the keys which, of course, disappeared over time. :)

mal
0
spampit (234)
10/2/2006 1:30:01 PM
In article <95q2v3-t7d.ln1@ridcully.ntlworld.com>, spike1@freenet.co.uk
says...
> Melissa Ward <melissa_ward@tiscali.co.uk> did eloquently scribble:
> > I say the worst was the 'Micro Speech'
>
> > horrid box you plugged into the back with a microphone, and what you said
> > was supposed to come up on the screen.... total pap!
>
> Um... The currah micro speech was almost the exact opposite of what you
> just described. It was speech synthesis, not speech recognition.
> (The only reason you plugged it into the mic port of the speccy was to allow
> the speccy sound to go through to the tv as well as the speech)

um...she corrected herself 18 minutes before you did :P
0
spampit (234)
10/2/2006 1:32:11 PM
Mal Franks <spampit@btinternet.com> did eloquently scribble:
> In article <95q2v3-t7d.ln1@ridcully.ntlworld.com>, spike1@freenet.co.uk
> says...
>> Melissa Ward <melissa_ward@tiscali.co.uk> did eloquently scribble:
>> > I say the worst was the 'Micro Speech'
>>
>> > horrid box you plugged into the back with a microphone, and what you said
>> > was supposed to come up on the screen.... total pap!
>>
>> Um... The currah micro speech was almost the exact opposite of what you
>> just described. It was speech synthesis, not speech recognition.
>> (The only reason you plugged it into the mic port of the speccy was to allow
>> the speccy sound to go through to the tv as well as the speech)
>>

> um...she corrected herself 18 minutes before you did :P

I noticed. After I'd posted it.
:)
|   spike1@freenet.co.uk   |   Windows95 (noun): 32 bit extensions and a    |
|                          | graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit |
|Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)| operating system originally  coded for a 4 bit |
|            in            |microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company, that|
|     Computer Science     |        can't stand 1 bit of competition.       |
spike1 (8171)
10/2/2006 1:39:22 PM
Most light pens could not get an accurate timing as the way the screen could
stop the processor etc, screwed it up. Thy ended up with repeated scans
which looked horrible on the screen.

Brian

--
"Mal Franks" <spampit@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> In article <qQpTg.26968$r61.16413@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk>, Briang1
> @blueyonder.co.uk says...
>> So, what, in your opinion was the most unusable or useless device made
>> for
>> the Spectrum?
>>
>> I don't recall its actual sales name, but I'll submit that plastic device
>> that made the rubber keys act like a joystick using mechanics. It was
>> wobbly, never stayed in place, and knackered the keys fast.
>>
>> Then there was the Trickstick, which  nobody could actually work out how
>> control.
>> Though I loved the device dearly, the uSpeach 's idea of attempting to
>> add a
>> sound channel to the Speccy output in a retro manner was doomed from the
>> start to produce disgusting patterning and drift.
>>
>> Brian
>>

> dK'tronics Light Pen
>
> Device's sole connection was to the Ear socket of the pc except for a
> pass-through for power.
>
> http://www.sincuser.f9.co.uk/016/hardwre.htm
>
> In the advert had a drawing of someone drawing neat circles with it.
> However, in reality, the slightest movement and you'd end up with a line
> that went off the screen and we must have used it twice before
> consigning it to the box of abandoned games.
>
> Not long after my parents bought it for me, they released a much better
> designed version that plugged into the edge connector.
>
> Mal

0
Briang1 (1214)
10/2/2006 3:28:33 PM
Nick Humphries wrote:

> "Le Stic" - a joystick that had the normal pointy-uppy bit that most
> joysticks had, but this one did away with the joystick base, choosing
> instead to use just a sucker that you stuck to your desk.

So, a sucker at both ends, then. Eyethangew.

(It would've been a damn sight funnier if you'd posted it when you wrote
it. -Ed.)

--
Duncan Snowden.

0
dss (1249)
10/5/2006 1:31:48 AM
I remember reading about Bandersnatch and how it was going to redefine
computer gaming with its bundled hardware device. Don't think anyone ever
found out zactly what this add-on was?
I just read now on Wiki the game resurfaced on the ST. I didn't know
this.Sounds crap though.
Also with a real early C&VG there was an amazing free gift: plastic strip
which you placed beneath the line of code you were typing! Now that was a
handy device.
Happy days.

0
heh9274 (8)
10/5/2006 11:21:54 AM
Matty <heh@mihh.com> did eloquently scribble:
> I remember reading about Bandersnatch and how it was going to redefine
> computer gaming with its bundled hardware device. Don't think anyone ever
> found out zactly what this add-on was?
> I just read now on Wiki the game resurfaced on the ST. I didn't know
> this.Sounds crap though.
> Also with a real early C&VG there was an amazing free gift: plastic strip
> which you placed beneath the line of code you were typing! Now that was a
> handy device.

heheh, I think I had that.
Buggered if I know whatever happened to it. Prolly went in the bin with most
of my magazines in the mid 90s. Before I realised the sinclair following was
still alive and well in CSS.
--
|                          |What to do if you find yourself stuck in a crack|
|  spike1@freenet.co.uk    |in the ground beneath a giant boulder, which you|
|                          |can't move, with no hope of rescue.             |
|Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)|Consider how lucky you are that life has been   |
|           in             |good to you so far...                           |
|    Computer Science      |   -The BOOK, Hitch-hiker's guide to the galaxy.|
0
spike1 (8171)
10/5/2006 11:43:45 AM
"Matty" <heh@mihh.com> wrote in message
>I remember reading about Bandersnatch and how it was going to redefine
>computer gaming with its bundled hardware device. Don't think anyone ever
>found out zactly what this add-on was?
> I just read now on Wiki the game resurfaced on the ST. I didn't know
> this.Sounds crap though.
> Also with a real early C&VG there was an amazing free gift: plastic strip
> which you placed beneath the line of code you were typing!

And a ruler would not sufice ?

andy@zx-81.co.uk

 Now that was a
> handy device.
> Happy days.

0
andy1662 (66)
10/5/2006 6:07:39 PM
I'd nominate either a zx net cable or a serial cable with a Sinclair QL
on the other end of it!  I used to code and cross assemble for various
Z80 based devices on the QL and it would have been really nice to be
able to transfer my resulting IntelHEX file to the speccy for testing at
faster than 1200 baud!  The network had about a 25% error rate if you
mixed ZX and QL and I never got serial to work above 2400 baud and
dropped back to 1200 in despair.

I've also got a PIO/CTC/SIO card somewhere that will crash *any* speccy
that hasn't been modified to AND A7 with /IORQ before feeding it to the
ULA. (That let me use the same port addresses on the card as on the Z80
development system and the eventual target board)

Lotsa fun and I should get back into it . . .

--
Ian Malcolm.   London, ENGLAND.  (NEWSGROUP REPLY PREFERRED)
ianm[at]the[dash]malcolms[dot]freeserve[dot]co[dot]uk [at]=@, [dash]=- &

> I'd nominate either a zx net cable or a serial cable with a Sinclair QL
> on the other end of it!

Sorry, but you're saying that the Sinclair QL was the most unusable
device available for the Speccy?

Maybe that explains why Amstrad dropped it.

Chris

|  http://www.unsatisfactorysoftware.co.uk  |
| Your Sinclair: A Celebration              |

chris.usenet (763)
10/5/2006 10:18:39 PM
Nick Humphries <nickjunk@egyptus.co.uk> writes:

>> So, what, in your opinion was the most unusable or useless device
>> made for the Spectrum?
>
> "Le Stic" - a joystick that had the normal pointy-uppy bit that most
> joysticks had, but this one did away with the joystick base, choosing
> instead to use just a sucker that you stuck to your desk.

I know someone who just *loves* Le Stik. But as far as I know, it
wasn't made exclusively for the ZX Spectrum?

--
Anders Carlsson
spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:
> WM <wid@mak.com> did eloquently scribble:
>> Probably because no one is actually in there having a conversation.  Or if
>> they are, it's about  cats or transsexuals :)
>
> Cats and transsexuals aren't the topic of conversation THAT often y'know.

#speccy is fun, I'm there too...

I promise not to talk about cats...

--
http://linuxeverywhere.org
0

FA: Spectrum mags, Sinclair User and Your Sinclair.
Hi Please take a look: http://cgi6.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=x-frankie-x&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=50 At a start price of only �0.99 Bye. -- Michael Bruhn aka Frankie frankiex at domain webspeed.dk ...

Why was the Sinclair Spectrum so successful ?
I don't understand : The Spectrum has ugly graphics that are worse than graphics of early-80s handhelds. The sound is so bad, it should be considered a WMD , because it can cause ear-cancer and AIDS. And the keyboard, oh yes, you cannot call it a keyboard.It's a joke!!! The RAM - 48K, come on, this was ok for the 70s, but not the 80s! The CPU - a lame Z80, oh no! Mass-storage on TAPES ? Come on, all the other computers had DISK drives, even the systems from the 70s like the Apple 2 or the ATARI 800. No sprites, no scrolling, no specials chips - come on, even the 70s computer from ATA...

the legacy of the Sinclair Spectrum
From the «8 bits should be good enough for anyone» department: Title: The legacy of Sinclair's Spectrum Author: Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2014 17:09:38 -0500 Link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-30333671#sa-ns_mchannel=rss&ns_source=PublicRSS20-sa How the Spectrum's creator changed the world In article <m6213b$mj1$1@solani.org>, RS Wood <rsw@therandymon.com> wrote: > From the «8 bits should be good enough for anyone» department: > Title: The legacy of Sinclair's Spectrum > Author: > Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2014 17:09:38 -0500 ...

Free Sinclair Spectrums!
They've done nothing wrong! Yeah, I see, well, joke circa 1984, ZX Computing? Brian -- Brian Gaff....Note, this account does not accept Bcc: email. graphics are great, but the blind can't hear them Email: briang1@blueyonder.co.uk ______________________________________________________________________________________________________________ "Nomen Nescio" <nobody@dizum.com> wrote in message news:4c222cf30f754ac839b5116a8e7c557d@dizum.com... > They've done nothing wrong! > Brian Gaff wrote: > Yeah, I see, well, joke circa 1984, ZX Computing? > > Brian > Bill posters will be prosecuted. Bill posters is inocent. -- Letts stop killing each other, letts all live in peace. To much pain, to much suffering. ...

Unix for the Sinclair Spectrum?
Where can I find Unix for the Sinclair Spectrum on tape or microdrive cartridge ? On Wed, 17 Dec 2003, Adam Ben Nalois wrote: > Where can I find Unix for the Sinclair Spectrum on tape or microdrive cartridge ? UNIX for the Spectrum, called Spectrix, will be released on April 1st, 2004, by Sinclair Research. Apparantly, it's part of the 20th anniversary celebrations. OTOH, you might want to check out a BBC Micro with the Torch 68010 co-processor. It ran a version of UNIX, all those years ago. -- Rich Teer, SCNA, SCSA . * * . * .* . ...

The Sinclair Spectrum is rubbish!
The Brits are too stupid for building computers, cars or anything else... USA USA USA! -F.R. Ah school holidays have come early this year. Brian -- Brian Gaff....Note, this account does not accept Bcc: email. graphics are great, but the blind can't hear them Email: briang1@blueyonder.co.uk ______________________________________________________________________________________________________________ "ForeverRent" <hesacopontheedge@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:jphcvj$osd$1@speranza.aioe.org... > The Brits are too stupid for building computers, cars or anything else... > > USA USA USA! > > -F.R. > On Wed, 23 May 2012, ForeverRent wrote: > The Brits are too stupid for building computers, cars or anything else... > > USA USA USA! Outstanding. deKay -- Lofi Gaming - http://lofi-gaming.org.uk Gaming Diary - http://lofi-gaming.org.uk/diary Blog - http://lofi-gaming.org.uk/blog My computer runs at 3.5MHz and I'm proud of that Ignore the address-spoofing troll. Carry on. On Wed, 23 May 2012 03:02:42 +0200, ForeverRent wrote: (OK, I'l byte... troll scoring NG followup removed) > The Brits are too stupid for building computers, cars or anything else... > > USA USA USA! While the Americans did design the worlds best 8Bit home computer... (dons flameproof suit) ....why is it that nearly all the good games came from PAL land? And if it wernt for us brits building computers, the '...

For sale: games for Amstrad & Acorn BBC & Acorn Electron & Commodore 64 & Commodore Vic20 & Dragon 32 & Oric & Sinclair ZX81 & Sinclair ZX Spectrum (16k & 48k) & IBM PC (5.25" & 3.5" & CD)
I have many old games, on 5.25" & 3.5" & CD for PC and on tapes for Amstrad & Acorn BBC & Acorn Electron & Commodore 64 & Commodore Vic20 & Dragon 32 & Oric & Sinclair ZX81 & Sinclair ZX Spectrum (16k & 48k). I need to sell some of them. Would you like to buy any? I have bank accounts in the U.K.; the Republic of Ireland; Sweden; Germany; the Netherlands and Italy, so I can accept payment in a number of currencies and in a number of ways. I live at 2461 Via Tosco Romagnola, Titignano, 56023 Cascina (PI), Italy. Send me an email or a lett...

Most homosexual game for the Sinclair Spectrum?
X-No-Archive:yes I'm a gay gamer and I'm looking for the gayest Spectrum game ever made. Which Sinclair Spectrum game is truly homosexual? "Queer Sinclair" <queerSinclair@gaygamers.gay> wrote: > I'm a gay gamer and I'm looking for the gayest > Spectrum game ever made. > Which Sinclair Spectrum game is truly homosexual? Yeah, yeah, I know I shouldn't respond to this, but I just found out that typing "gay" into the World of Spectrum search box has amusing results. Eq. Paul E Collins wrote: > Yeah, yeah, I know I shouldn't respond to this, but I just found out > that typing "gay" into the World of Spectrum search box has amusing > results. Heh, first thing I tried as well. You can probably guess what I searched for to come up with this: http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseekid.cgi?id=0016007 On Apr 7, 2:07 am, "Queer Sinclair" <queerSincl...@gaygamers.gay> wrote: > X-No-Archive:yes AKA the "my posts aren't worth reading" header. Says it all, really. On Apr 7, 1:07 am, "Queer Sinclair" <queerSincl...@gaygamers.gay> wrote: > X-No-Archive:yes > > I'm a gay gamer and I'm looking for the gayest Spectrum game > ever made. > > Which Sinclair Spectrum game is truly homosexual? The one you write. -- I believe you have my stapler.... On Sat, 7 Apr 2007 Queer Sinclair wrote: >Which Sinclair Spectrum game is t...

How to cook and serve a Sinclair Spectrum?
X-No-Archive:yes Sacre Bleu! I'm a French chef and I want to cook un Spectrum a la haute cuisine. It's my piece de resistance. I want to cook le Spectrum, so that its meat will melt in your mouth. Mon dieu! Do you have any recipes for me? On Aug 17, 2:41 am, "Pierre Le Chef" <pierrelec...@hungryforspectrums.yum> wrote: > Sacre Bleu! I'm a French chef and I want to cook > un Spectrum a la haute cuisine. It's my piece de resistance. > > I want to cook le Spectrum, so that its meat will melt > in your mouth. > > Mon dieu! Do you have any recipes for me? Well the latest craze is to have them blanched. http://www.flickr.com/photos/9574086@N02/785746203/in/set-72157600607571866/ I serve mine with "Freedom Fries". Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose I met a French baker while I was in New Zealand. He was very good with bread and pastries etc, but he was more like the Swedish Chef with everything else. I think he managed to burn water. "OwenBot" <cheveron@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1187331837.216600.291680@19g2000hsx.googlegroups.com... >I met a French baker while I was in New Zealand. He was very good with > bread and pastries etc, but he was more like the Swedish Chef with > everything else. I think he managed to burn water. Does french cooking involve anything other than Bread and Pastries? Niall On Aug 17, 11:22 pm, "Niall Wallace" <bigbadwo...

Device to device calling
I am looking at a VOIP (high quality) for device to device calling between UK an Southern African Countries. It should however allow for device to landline PSTN. Any ideas for a good quality equipment. I have used Yap jack but call quality is very poor. Rgd yeeeza ...

meta device sys rebuild
I am rebuilding a Sunfire v240 system that had corrupt data on its boot disks. This server is "server b" of an identical two server configuration. Each server has 4 x 72Gb disks, and two of them are boot disks. Each server has a primary boot and a mirror boot disk (disk0 and disk1). System is running Solaris 10. Originally "server b" would not boot and Sun hardware support came to our site and diagnosed a failed disk. He said corrupt data had been copied over to the mirror boot disk making system unbootable. I replaced primary boot drive and installed Sol 9 (as it uses only 2 disks). My plan was to partition mirror boot drive on "server b" to match our "server a" and ufsdump/ufsrestore over the network to the mounted mirror boot partitions on "server b". Once I had mirror boot disk bootable, I would boot from it and dd from one disk to the other. Once system restore was complete, I modified the vfstab on mounted mirror drive, /mnt/etc/vfstab, to point to correct disk and installed bootblk. I tried to boot from disk1 and the system failed to boot and panicked rebooting from primary boot disk. I have done some investigation and I think it has to do with the meta devices. boot message: Cannot open mirrored root device, error 19 Cannot remount root on /pseudo/md@0:0,0,blk fstype ufs panic[cpu1]/thread=180e000: vfs_mountroot: cannot remount root My question is how do I go about removing all reference to meta-device...

Sinclair Spectrum in model rockets
I�ve build in a Sinclair board into one of my model rockets.The Spectrum board is small , weighs almost nothing and the system is simple and fast. Test launch will be this Saturday if the weather is ok. I also use a Spectrum as control system on the ground.If it�s succesful, we may see the Spectrum�s rebirth as system for rocket building. BTW. C64s are far to big and have useless custom chips for this experiment. Counting down, Adam Ben Nalois wrote: > Test launch will be this Saturday if the weather is ok. SPECCIES IN SPAAAAACCCCEEEEE!!!!!!!!!! [1] Hope it all goes well... Toodle-p...

What are the best games for the Sinclair Spectrum?
I'm starting a collection of classic computers and consoles and I want to buy a Spectrum and some of the best games. Which games are the best on the Spectrum? What a question that is. There are classics, there are well crafted, but its really a personal thing I'd imagine as it would be on other machines. I had a game that ran on the old Memotech mtx512 called Rolla Bearing which I thought was great when I could see, and yet I do not recall it ever being on other machines. Brian -- Brian Gaff....Note, this account does not accept Bcc: email. graphics are great, but the blind can't hear them Email: briang1@blueyonder.co.uk ______________________________________________________________________________________________________________ "Jasper Tiler" <slimier_trap@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1dd43d2b-cb74-42c6-bcfb-71bbaa006bba@n20g2000vba.googlegroups.com... > I'm starting a collection of classic computers and > consoles and I want to buy a Spectrum and some > of the best games. > > Which games are the best on the Spectrum? Probably the best thing to do is to go to the World of Spectrum (the best web site on the 'net, if you ask me!) at: worldofspectrum.org and read their best games lists, and the user voted lists, but sadly the site is down at the moment, though hopefully it will be back very soon (it's been hacked in the past, but is always back up again quickly). For the moment, go to: http://www....

Misc Sinclair spectrum books
I have a few Sinclair related books which I am giving away. The listing includes 3 books but more may be added if I find them as I sort out. Full details over at AGTY :) http://www.anygoodtoyou.com/listing_detail.php?lid=100319 ...

The Sinclair Spectrum is rubbish
The Sinclair Spectrum is utter crap. Only 8 colors and no real sound, a rubber keyboard and no sprites. That's what I call crap. Discuss! Is it spring already? Or is the annual flamewar getting earlier? So what's up with that AmigaOS lawsuit? Zedex Dragon <cheveron@gmail.com> wrote: > Is it spring already? Or is the annual flamewar getting earlier? So > what's up with that AmigaOS lawsuit? This moron you replied to doesn't care about the traditions or people of these newsgroups. It's just a troll. Otherwise it would've posted to the thread it started ...

Updated Spectrum fonts for Sinclair PCs
I've made an updated set of Spectrum font ROM images for the Amstrad/Sinclair XTs with CGA. Previously these only supported the PC200 (and hence its Amstrad cognates the PC20 and PPC512). I've now added support for the PC500 (PC1512). The ROM images can be downloaded from <http://www.seasip.info/AmstradXT/software.html>. Other changes are: - Some codepage mappings have been corrected, so the Greek and Codepage 860 character sets now are a better match for the originals. - The fonts are now generated by psftools from 'master' text files. It's quite amusing to see an innocent-looking XT boot up with the Spectrum font. Particularly on a PC200 where you can set the DIP switches to 40-column mode. -- --------------------------- ,@@.o ,@@. SPELL SUCCEEDS John Elliott | @@@@ @@@@ n \_O_ CHAOS in a sig... | '||` '||` Hr \I ` --------------------------- JL JL I\ /\\ ...

The Sinclair Spectrum is the best, forget the rest
X-No-Archive: yes Our ancestors did worship the divine Spectrum millenia ago at Stonehenge. It's the ultimate Celtic artifact, Clive Sinclair was inspired by the gods to create this wonderful, divine machine. The C64, however, is just crap and for us, C64 users are sinners who must be converted to the Spectrum. If they don't want to believe in the Spectrum, well, then they have to be executed. The Sinclair Spectrum is the one and only computer! Believe in the power of the Spectrum or die! On Dec 30, 5:43=A0am, "Spectrum Priest" <SpectrumPri...@Divine.Spectrum> ...

Looking for a Sinclair ZX Spectrum +3
Is there anyone that has one for me of wants to swap for some of my other Sinclair items. I have no ZX80 unfortunately. Also looking for an MK14 calculator. ...

The Sinclair Spectrum is more powerful than Acorn crap
This is true.The Acorn BBC is a really weak machine and the mighty Spectrum crushed him ! And the crappy Electron is only good for ass-wiping and shit-identification in toilet computers. Adam Ben Nalois wrote: > This is true.The Acorn BBC is a really weak machine and the mighty > Spectrum crushed him ! > And the crappy Electron is only good for ass-wiping and > shit-identification in toilet computers. (Sent by e-mail on a Spectrum in June 1989) In article <4c62b54015paul@delink.nl>, Paul Sprangers <paul@delink.nl> wrote: > (Sent by e-mail on a Spectrum in June 1989) Is that how long it took him to type it on the Spectrum keyboard, or how long it took the Spectrum to send it? Ken Down -- __ __ __ __ __ | \ | / __ / __ | |\ | / __ |__ All the latest archaeological news |__/ | \__/ \__/ | | \| \__/ __| from the Middle East with David Down ================================= and "Digging Up The Past" Web site: www.diggingsonline.com e-mail: diggings@argonet.co.uk Hi, On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 21:14:36 -0800, Adam Ben Nalois wrote: > This is true.The Acorn BBC is a really weak machine and the mighty > Spectrum crushed him ! MMMMMmmmmm, tastes like a troll.... > And the crappy Electron is only good for ass-wiping and > shit-identification in toilet computers. Have you ever tried to identify shit? There are that many types, it's honestly a fastinating subject. If you want a quick lesson, wander ...

windows device manager and serialpps.sys
I am running 4.2.7p98-o and I am uncertain whether or not PPS is working. Under windows device manager I can see drivers for the port: Serenum.sys Serial.sys Serialpps.sys Serenum.sys & Serial.sys have a green tick next to them. In event viewer, when starting ntpd I can't see any reference to PPS. My relevant ntp.conf: server 127.127.20.1 minpoll 4 maxpoll 4 mode 24 prefer # NMEA serial port, 16 = 9600 baud, 8 = $GPZDA fudge 127.127.20.1 flag1 1 time2 -0.4781 the time2 fudge is the only way I can get the HP 58534 GPS timing antenna not to be marked a false ticker. The loopstats all look good, but I am curious to know whether PPS is active or not. Many thanks, Mark On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 14:54, Mark C. Stephens <marks@non-stop.com.au> wrote: > I am running 4.2.7p98-o and I am uncertain whether or not PPS is working. That's a relatively antique snapshot of ntp-dev. At least with more recent ntp-dev, if PPSAPI is enabled for NMEA using flag1 1 as you have, the NMEA refclock driver will log an error message on startup if PPSAPI is not working that mentions both PPSAPI and flag1 1. See your event log or a configured ntp.log. There are less direct things you could try, like see if manually lowering the ntpd process priority class from Realtime to Low then throwing some work at the machine increases the offset ntpd reports for the NMEA association. If PPSAPI is working the timestamps are snapped at serial port interrupt time and will not be affec...

Tony Blair stole my Sinclair Spectrum ! ! !
Tony Blair is an evil Spectrum-robber and deserves to go to jail! MEAN! In message <8d001dc6.0410072305.70a3ce0a@posting.google.com> kaisers_sun@yahoo.com (Brian Raab) wrote: > Tony Blair is an evil Spectrum-robber and deserves to go to jail! > > MEAN! Note to Brian ------------- As Tony does not know how to use a word processor he would not steal a Speccy, though it would be a good computer for him to start with. Brian you started a flame war with the C=64 users but were not *man enough* to finish the job you started (thankfully Ernie was), I (and others) think ...

Sinclair Spectrum games are better than AMIGA games
Yes, I prefer playing with the Sinclair Spectrum , games have much better graphics, better gameplay and better music. Pablo Rena wrote: > Yes, I prefer playing with the Sinclair Spectrum , games have much > better graphics, better gameplay and better music. You only think the Spectrum stuff is good because you've never played c64 stuff. <grin> ..I mean, heck, we even got a better version of Manic Miner. (He's so much better as a real sprite) ;) Nathan the stirrer. > Pablo Rena wrote: > >> Yes, I prefer playing with the Sinclair Spectrum ,...

Annual flame war (was: Why was the Sinclair Spectrum so successful?)
I've been ignoring this thread until now but here's my 10 cents: How about we bury the hatchet and all buy a Commodore One which seems likely to support C64, Amstrad CPC and ZX Spectrum software. Why has no-one mentioned the Timex TS2068's video modes? 8x1 attributes in 256x192 and mono 512x192. The Z80 is a great chip - far more powerful than the 6502 when it comes to 16-bit values. And there was one in the C=128 (for CP/M stuff). Someone said there was nothing the 48K Speccy could do better than the C64 - but there was - vector graphics (see Star Wars, Starglider and Starion ...

Small Sinclair ZX Spectrum videos collection
Hi everybody, I've uploaded some videos from my collection on rapidshare: http://rapidshare.com/users/KL0J7Q Zx_Spectrum_Television_Back_In_Time_Your_Sinclair_1982.mpg (68897 KB) Zx_Spectrum_Television_Back_In_Time_Your_Sinclair_1983.mpg (89639 KB) Zx_Spectrum_Television_Back_In_Time_Your_Sinclair_1984.mpg (77607 KB) 80S_Advert-Sinclair_Zx_Spectrum.avi (3559 KB) Zx_Spectrum_Jet_Set_Willy_Ending_Complete.avi (2328 KB) The Back In Time videos are great. Have fun with it and... Merry Christmas! :-) Regards, Andriy http://www.ysrnry.co.uk/tvprog/downloads.htm "nib0rd00h" <andriy.mak@gmail.com> wrote in message news:bf976286-45c5-4e29-8507-55abcb72b385@q77g2000hsh.googlegroups.com... > Hi everybody, > > I've uploaded some videos from my collection on rapidshare: > > http://rapidshare.com/users/KL0J7Q > > Zx_Spectrum_Television_Back_In_Time_Your_Sinclair_1982.mpg (68897 KB) > Zx_Spectrum_Television_Back_In_Time_Your_Sinclair_1983.mpg (89639 KB) > Zx_Spectrum_Television_Back_In_Time_Your_Sinclair_1984.mpg (77607 KB) > 80S_Advert-Sinclair_Zx_Spectrum.avi (3559 KB) > Zx_Spectrum_Jet_Set_Willy_Ending_Complete.avi (2328 KB) > > The Back In Time videos are great. Have fun with it and... Merry > Christmas! :-) > > Regards, > Andriy dado <dado01-bezovog@email.t-com.hr> wrote: > "nib0rd00h" <andriy.mak@gmail.com> wrote in message > news:bf976286-45c5-4e29-8507-55abcb72b385@...

Web resources about - Most unusable device for the Spectrum? - comp.sys.sinclair

Spectrum of theistic probability - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Let us consider the appropriateness or otherwise of someone (call him ' Philo ') describing himself as a theist, atheist or agnostic. I would ...

Making a Murderer filmmakers Moira Demos and Laura Ricciardi coming to Australia for Spectrum Now Festival ...
The filmmakers behind the hit Netflix series will be in conversation with Charlie Pickering at an exclusive festival event.

Award-winning artist and tattooist Leslie Rice brings his tattoo parlour to Spectrum Now
Award-winning artist and tattooist Leslie Rice brings his tattoo parlour to the Spectrum Now festival.

Logitech Announces The Ambidextrous G900 Chaos Spectrum Gaming Mouse
Today Logitech is announcing the latest in their lineup of gaming mice. The G900 Chaos Spectrum is a wired and wireless mouse, and it is one ...

Handheld ZX Spectrum brings ‘80s gaming to your morning commute
While last year's officially licensed ZX Spectrum Vega —a plug-and-play games-only version of the UK's finest 1980s home computer—didn't quite ...

Dish: Less Downside Given Spectrum Discount, Says Wunderlich
Shares of satellite TV provider Dish Network (DISH) are up $1.66, or almost 4%, at $45.82, after Wunderlich Securities’s Matthew Harrigan raised ...

Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum wireless gaming mouse outperforms wired mice
... wired mice can have less lag, offering better performance. Today, Logitech announces a gaming-focused mouse. Called the G900 Chaos Spectrum, ...

People from all over the political spectrum compared Trump to Hitler this weekend
... accomplishment was educating the world about the joys of bunga bunga parties . That said, a lot of people from across the political spectrum ...

T-Mobile gets $2 billion boost ahead of game-changing spectrum auction
... compete with arch-rivals AT&T and Verizon. The company (Nasdaq: TMUS) is stocking up on cash ahead of a Federal Communications Commission spectrum ...

Tea Party Caucus Chairman Tim Huelskamp Endorses Ted Cruz, a ‘Full Spectrum Conservative’
Tea Party Caucus Chairman Tim Huelskamp Endorses Ted Cruz, a ‘Full Spectrum Conservative’