Sinclair on BBC4

Sir Clive jumping over some computers (or something), the ZX80, 81 and
Spectrum and some interviews make it into BBC4's Time Shift: Hard Drive
Heaven (The History Of Home Computers).

For once, Sinclair gets the air-time he deserves as a rather more
accurate picture of the history of computers (in the home) is broadcast
at long last.  No more is the Spectrum cast aside while boring people
discuss which version of Windows is the best.  The only computer which
compares on air-time is, unsurprisingly, the BBC Micro.  Unfortunately
the Amiga doesn't even get a passing mention (although you do get to see
one briefly, and the blue and orange tones of Workbench 1.3 are clearly
visible in the background in one scene), which is IMHO a bit of an
oversight especially considering the BBC (erm, Micro) wasn't anywhere
near as popular in the home, but I digress.  Even the Darling Brothers
are in on the act.

If you are "digital enabled" and see this message in time, tune into
BBC4 for the repeat at 1am.

Chris
comp.sys.sinclair 6096 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 22:48:14 +0000, Chris Young
<unsatisfactory@bigfoot.com> wrote:

>If you are "digital enabled" and see this message in time, tune into
>BBC4 for the repeat at 1am.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll do just that!

I watched the "Tetris: From Russia With Love" thing earlier and, after
all the allusion to scandal and KGB involvement in the trailers for it,
I thought it was actually a pretty dull story; a bloke in Russia writes
Tetris, a (Hungarian) bloke in the UK starts selling it without a solid
sub-licencing agreement, confusion reigns for a bit before two big games
companies end up arguing the toss about who actually owns the rights to
sell it, one wins, one loses. End of.
--
Chris Cowley
On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 22:48:14 +0000, Chris Young wrote:

> Sir Clive jumping over some computers (or something), the ZX80, 81 and
> Spectrum and some interviews make it into BBC4's Time Shift: Hard Drive
> Heaven (The History Of Home Computers).
>
> For once, Sinclair gets the air-time he deserves as a rather more accurate
> picture of the history of computers (in the home) is broadcast at long
> last.  No more is the Spectrum cast aside while boring people discuss
> which version of Windows is the best.  The only computer which compares on
> air-time is, unsurprisingly, the BBC Micro.  Unfortunately the Amiga
> doesn't even get a passing mention (although you do get to see one
> briefly, and the blue and orange tones of Workbench 1.3 are clearly
> visible in the background in one scene), which is IMHO a bit of an
> oversight especially considering the BBC (erm, Micro) wasn't anywhere near
> as popular in the home, but I digress.  Even the Darling Brothers are in
> on the act.
>
> If you are "digital enabled" and see this message in time, tune into BBC4
> for the repeat at 1am.

Thanks, I'll watch that in an hours time.

<turns on FreeView box>

--
Michael Turner
On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 22:48:14 +0000, Chris Young
<unsatisfactory@bigfoot.com> wrote:

>For once, Sinclair gets the air-time he deserves as a rather more
>accurate picture of the history of computers (in the home) is broadcast
>at long last.

Having now seen it, I couldn't agree more. Nice to see Sir Clive being
credited for his massive contribution to the computer industry for a
change instead of the usual C5 "mad inventor" nonsense. I liked his
mention of the "illegal" Russian Speccy clones (not by name). He looked
pleased that the Speccy was still going strong in some circles.

The bits they showed from "The Computer Programme" and "Micro Live"
brought back memories (Chris Searle looking confused and typing away
with two fingers on a Model B under the expert instruction of Ian
whatsisname). Pure gold!
--
Chris Cowley
michael turner. Tuesday. comp.sys.sinclair. Tch, eh?

> On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 22:48:14 +0000, Chris Young wrote:
>>
>> If you are "digital enabled" and see this message in time, tune into
>> BBC4 for the repeat at 1am.
>
> Thanks, I'll watch that in an hours time.

I won't.

> <turns on FreeView box>

<Wishes could afford bloody "Free"View box, feels glad (for first time
ever) am living with parents and therefore don't have to pay a
hundred-odd notes p.a. for bunch of channels can't flaming well watch
 - and two can't be arsed with most of time - just so can be graciously
permitted to recieve ITV, C4 and "five">

Phew. That was a bit of a rant, eh, Spec-chums? Won't happen again.

--
Duncan Snowden.

9 STOP statement, 1470:4
0
dss (1249)
2/10/2004 9:32:50 AM
The bits they showed from "The Computer Programme" and "Micro Live"
> brought back memories (Chris Searle looking confused and typing away
> with two fingers on a Model B under the expert instruction of Ian
> whatsisname). Pure gold!

Shit, I missed it - is it repeated any other time soon?

Hellraiser.........>

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 14:11:41 -0000, "Hellraiser"
<hellraiser1.nospam@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>The bits they showed from "The Computer Programme" and "Micro Live"
>> brought back memories (Chris Searle looking confused and typing away
>> with two fingers on a Model B under the expert instruction of Ian
>> whatsisname). Pure gold!
>
>Shit, I missed it - is it repeated any other time soon?

According to DigiGuide it's repeated on the 18th Feb at 7pm.

The Trigger Happy programme is repeated straight after it.

The Tetris documentary is repeated tonight at 11:30pm, on the 12th at
7pm and on the 15th at 10:05pm

HTH

Fishy
--
Spectrum Games Maps : http://www.btinternet.com/~fishyfish/
Manic Miner Comp.Sys.Sinclair : http://www.fishyfish.net/manic/
> According to DigiGuide it's repeated on the 18th Feb at 7pm.
>
> The Trigger Happy programme is repeated straight after it.
>
> The Tetris documentary is repeated tonight at 11:30pm, on the 12th at
> 7pm and on the 15th at 10:05pm

Cheers Fishy!

Hellraiser..............>

"Hellraiser" <hellraiser1.nospam@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> > According to DigiGuide it's repeated on the 18th Feb at 7pm.
> > The Trigger Happy programme is repeated straight after it.
> > The Tetris documentary is repeated tonight at 11:30pm, on the 12th at
> > 7pm and on the 15th at 10:05pm

Any chance of it being repeated on a normal channel so that us plebs can
watch it?

<me fed up with TeleWest's pathetic set of channels>

--
JGH - www.mdfs.net
0
wrote:

>"Hellraiser" <hellraiser1.nospam@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>> > According to DigiGuide it's repeated on the 18th Feb at 7pm.
>> > The Trigger Happy programme is repeated straight after it.
>> > The Tetris documentary is repeated tonight at 11:30pm, on the 12th at
>> > 7pm and on the 15th at 10:05pm
>
>Any chance of it being repeated on a normal channel so that us plebs can
>watch it?
>
><me fed up with TeleWest's pathetic set of channels>

No sign as yet, but it might get shown on BBC2 at some point. Keep
your eyes peeled.

Fishy
--
Spectrum Games Maps : http://www.btinternet.com/~fishyfish/
Manic Miner Comp.Sys.Sinclair : http://www.fishyfish.net/manic/
Professional Coat Getting Simulator PC : http://www.fishyfish.net/
On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 19:28:00 +0000 (UTC), FishyFish says...

> >Any chance of it being repeated on a normal channel so that us plebs can
> >watch it?
> >
> ><me fed up with TeleWest's pathetic set of channels>
>
> No sign as yet, but it might get shown on BBC2 at some point. Keep
> your eyes peeled.

It would be nice if someone could encode it and upload it somewhere
as an xvid or mpeg file.
0
no18 (4537)
2/10/2004 7:48:53 PM
wrote:

>"Hellraiser" <hellraiser1.nospam@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>> > According to DigiGuide it's repeated on the 18th Feb at 7pm.
>> > The Trigger Happy programme is repeated straight after it.
>> > The Tetris documentary is repeated tonight at 11:30pm, on the 12th at
>> > 7pm and on the 15th at 10:05pm
>
>Any chance of it being repeated on a normal channel so that us plebs can
>watch it?
>
><me fed up with TeleWest's pathetic set of channels>

I hope so, it deserves a wider audience. I begrudge paying Sky silly
amounts of money for access to what seems like about 3 original programs
a month and a gazillion hourly repeats of Changing Rooms and House
Invaders.

And the buggers steadfastly refuse to carry NASA TV too, forcing me to
watch it in crappy, pixelated Internet-o-vision instead.
--
Chris Cowley
In article <2gdg20pl9o6i2v9pa5osq05rh097a4snje@4ax.com>,
> On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 22:48:14 +0000, Chris Young
> <unsatisfactory@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>
> The bits they showed from "The Computer Programme" and "Micro Live"
> brought back memories (Chris Searle looking confused and typing away
> with two fingers on a Model B under the expert instruction of Ian
> whatsisname). Pure gold!

Agree with you on the Micro Live clips - it is always excellent to see
clips of that. Another long dormant memory was 'biorhythms' - why did
every 80's platform have a triple sine graph generator to help plan out
your life?
0
news325 (248)
2/11/2004 9:29:47 AM
Yadda, yadda, yadda, J.G.Harston, blah, blah, blah, 10 Feb 2004, gibber,

> Any chance of it being repeated on a normal channel so that us plebs can
> watch it?
>
> <me fed up with TeleWest's pathetic set of channels>

Don't you get BBC4 on Telewest?  I thought that they had to carry all the
BBC channels?

Telewaste are pish though, I moved from them to Sky a couple of years ago
and it is vastly superior (or was at the time - I presume it still is),
although Sky could still be better with the application of common sense
(sadly very rare these days).

-Stef

--
New to Speccy emulation? Read this group's FAQ at:
<URL:http://www.sinclairfaq.com/>
Chris Cowley <too.much.spam@invalid.grok.co.uk> wrote:

> On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 22:48:14 +0000, Chris Youn
> <unsatisfactory@bigfoot.com> wrote
>
> >For once, Sinclair gets the air-time he deserves as a rather more
> >accurate picture of the history of computers (in the home) is broadcast
> >at long last
>
> Having now seen it, I couldn't agree more. Nice to see Sir Clive bein
> credited for his massive contribution to the computer industry for
> change instead of the usual C5 "mad inventor" nonsense. I liked hi
> mention of the "illegal" Russian Speccy clones (not by name). He looke
> pleased that the Speccy was still going strong in some circles
>
> The bits they showed from "The Computer Programme" and "Micro Live

I was using an Acorn Atom then

> brought back memories (Chris Searle looking confused and typing awa

Chris Searle always looks confused,  remember That's Life and In at the Deep End

> with two fingers on a Model B under the expert instruction of Ia
> whatsisname). Pure gold

McNaught Davies

--

Michael Turne

Posted with PPCNew

Stef Robb <stefrobb@naespam.yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> > <me fed up with TeleWest's pathetic set of channels>
> Don't you get BBC4 on Telewest?  I thought that they had to carry all the
> BBC channels?

I get:
 1:BBC-1       2:BBC-2  3:YTV-North     4:CH-4      5:five
 6:Sky News    7:Sky-1  8:BBC News 24   9:UK Gold  10:UK Living
11:Discovery  13:Nickelodeon/Paramount 14:MTV      18:QVC
19:Bravo      20:YTV-South          26:Parliament  30:Challenge
31:VH-1       32:BOX   36:Cartoon Network/TCM      38:UK Horizons
39:UK 24-home-makeover-and-gardening   55:E4

I used to get CNN, SciFi, proper stuff on Cartoon Network before they
shifted it all onto Boomerang...

--
JGH -- www.mdfs.net
0

> Stef Robb <stefrobb@naespam.yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>> > <me fed up with TeleWest's pathetic set of channels>
>> Don't you get BBC4 on Telewest?  I thought that they had to carry all
>> the BBC channels?
>
> I get:
>  1:BBC-1       2:BBC-2  3:YTV-North     4:CH-4      5:five
>  6:Sky News    7:Sky-1  8:BBC News 24   9:UK Gold  10:UK Living
> 11:Discovery  13:Nickelodeon/Paramount 14:MTV      18:QVC
> 19:Bravo      20:YTV-South          26:Parliament  30:Challenge
> 31:VH-1       32:BOX   36:Cartoon Network/TCM      38:UK Horizons
> 39:UK 24-home-makeover-and-gardening   55:E4
>
> I used to get CNN, SciFi, proper stuff on Cartoon Network before they
> shifted it all onto Boomerang...

You get UK Gold, what more could you possibly want?  Except maybe UKG2...

-Stef

--
New to Speccy emulation? Read this group's FAQ at:
<URL:http://www.sinclairfaq.com/>
0
stefrobb1 (25)
2/11/2004 4:27:38 PM
On 10 Feb 2004 01:32:50 da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were rappin'
to MC Duncan Snowden:

> <Wishes could afford bloody "Free"View box, feels glad (for first time
> ever) am living with parents and therefore don't have to pay a
> hundred-odd notes p.a. for bunch of channels can't flaming well watch
>  - and two can't be arsed with most of time - just so can be graciously
> permitted to recieve ITV, C4 and "five">

Well, you can consul yourself with the thought that it'll probably be
repeated on BBC2 in a month's time.

Chris

|  http://www.unsatisfactorysoftware.co.uk  |
| Your Sinclair: A Celebration              |

On 11 Feb 2004 07:14:17 -0800 da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were rappin'
to MC J.G.Harston:

> > Don't you get BBC4 on Telewest?  I thought that they had to carry all the
> > BBC channels?
>
> I get:
>  1:BBC-1       2:BBC-2  3:YTV-North     4:CH-4      5:five
>  6:Sky News    7:Sky-1  8:BBC News 24   9:UK Gold  10:UK Living
> 11:Discovery  13:Nickelodeon/Paramount 14:MTV      18:QVC
> 19:Bravo      20:YTV-South          26:Parliament  30:Challenge
> 31:VH-1       32:BOX   36:Cartoon Network/TCM      38:UK Horizons
> 39:UK 24-home-makeover-and-gardening   55:E4

I guess you're still on analogue cable, then?  Hound Telewest for an
upgrade.

Chris

|  http://www.unsatisfactorysoftware.co.uk  |
| Your Sinclair: A Celebration              |

"Chris Young" <unsatisfactory@bigfoot.com> wrote:
> to MC J.G.Harston:
> > > Don't you get BBC4 on Telewest?  I thought that they had to carry all the
>
> I guess you're still on analogue cable, then?  Hound Telewest for an
> upgrade.

I refuse to go over to digital until they get it working:

Get volume control working
Get teletext working
Skip channels you haven't subscribed to.  When channel up/down
scrolling you get screen after screen of "You have not subscribed to
this channel".  I know I haven't!!!
Even worse are the screens that say
  "Red Hot Sex And Babes - You have not subscribed to this channel"
What on earth do parents think of this in the hands of their little'uns?
Get the cursor keys the right way round.
Be able to display the program information for the channel info you
have scrolled to, *not* the channel currently selected.
(This is what currently happens:
Watching BBC1.  Scroll through 'what's on' thingy.  Oo look.  Something
on 24-Gardening channel.  I wonder what that's about. Press 'I'nfo.  Get
program info on the currect BBC-1 program.  Throws channel controller at
TV box.)

Also, I would insist on being able to renumber the channels.  What on earth
is Cartoon Network doing at 700+ when UK Gold's at about 100+.  I have to
scroll through hundreds of "you have not subscribed..." screens, or
dig out my channel guide to find out what the number is to enter directly.

I know several people near me who have struggled through TW's digital
service. One of my tenets ended up giving up and getting a satellite
dish, though I had to stand over the installers to ensure they put
in on the correct bit of my Convervation Area building.

(Oh, we'll just stick this big lump of steel on the front of your
mid-Victorian house where it'll stick out like a sore thumb.  What,
you want it on the chimney where it won't be seen?  Sorry gov, we're
not covered for working at heights.  Where do they think a bl**dy
aerial normally goes?  On the pavement?!?!?!?!?!?!)

<end of rant>

--
JGH - www.mdfs.net
0
wrote:
>> I guess you're still on analogue cable, then?  Hound Telewest for an
>> upgrade.
>I refuse to go over to digital until they get it working:
>Get volume control working

It does.

>Get teletext working

They could easily bring back analogue teletext, it's far superior to
digital.

>Skip channels you haven't subscribed to.  When channel up/down
>scrolling you get screen after screen of "You have not subscribed to
>this channel".  I know I haven't!!!

I believe this would mean physically replacing every Sky Digibox.

>Even worse are the screens that say
>  "Red Hot Sex And Babes - You have not subscribed to this channel"
>What on earth do parents think of this in the hands of their little'uns?

Would it be better if it said "You have subscribed to this channel"?

Still, it's no worse than current Britney Spears/Christina Aguilera
videos.

>Get the cursor keys the right way round.

They have, on Sky digital. And on NTL cable too. DTT varies.

>Be able to display the program information for the channel info you
>have scrolled to, *not* the channel currently selected.

This definitely would need every Sky box to be physically replaced.

>(This is what currently happens:
>Watching BBC1.  Scroll through 'what's on' thingy.  Oo look.  Something
>on 24-Gardening channel.  I wonder what that's about. Press 'I'nfo.  Get
>program info on the currect BBC-1 program.  Throws channel controller at
>TV box.)

I like your suggestion too, but there's no way of implementing it on
the current system (Sky).

>Also, I would insist on being able to renumber the channels.

Another good idea that would mean replacing every box.

>  What on earth
>is Cartoon Network doing at 700+ when UK Gold's at about 100+.  I have to
>scroll through hundreds of "you have not subscribed..." screens, or
>dig out my channel guide to find out what the number is to enter directly.

Use channel favourites.

--
pete [at]  � http://www.sendthemback.org/
horseshoe  �

> >> I guess you're still on analogue cable, then?  Hound Telewest for an
> >> upgrade.
> >I refuse to go over to digital until they get it working:
[...]
> I believe this would mean physically replacing every Sky Digibox.

Erm, he was talking about Telewest's Digital Cable service, not Sky.

Chris

|  http://www.unsatisfactorysoftware.co.uk  |
| Your Sinclair: A Celebration              |

I demand that J.G.Harston may or may not have written...

> "Chris Young" <unsatisfactory@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>> to MC J.G.Harston:
>> I guess you're still on analogue cable, then?  Hound Telewest for an
>> upgrade.

> I refuse to go over to digital until they get it working:

> Get volume control working

Worksforme (Freeview). My STB has its own volume control :-)

> Get teletext working

Worksforme, although I'd *much* prefer ITV Teletext to be on channel 3 rather
than channels 9 and 5something. (The BBC and C4 have it about right.)

> Skip channels you haven't subscribed to.

Make a 'favourites' list or delete the entries for the unwanted channels...?

> When channel up/down scrolling you get screen after screen of "You have not
> subscribed to this channel".

Hmm?

[snip]
> Also, I would insist on being able to renumber the channels.

I can do that quite easily if I want, at least on my STB and on my Linux
desktop box.

[snip]
| RISC OS,    | s zap,tartarus,org            | Northumberland
| Linux       | @                             | Toon Army
|   How many recently-released games fit in 16K?

All great ideas are controversial, or have been at one time.
0
news64 (1253)
2/12/2004 10:56:51 PM
Peter Thomas wrote:
>> Skip channels you haven't subscribed to.
>
> I believe this would mean physically replacing every Sky Digibox.

Why? Should be a trivial software upgrade if they decided to do it (which I
somehow doubt...).

--

Adam.
  www.adamdawes.com

0
adam41 (6)
2/12/2004 11:13:38 PM
jgh@arcade.demon.co.uk (J.G.Harston) wrote:

> "Chris Young" <unsatisfactory@bigfoot.com> wrote
> > to MC J.G.Harston
> >
> > I guess you're still on analogue cable, then?  Hound Telewest for a
> > upgrade
>
> I refuse to go over to digital until they get it working
>
> Get volume control workin

Work

> Get teletext workin

Work

> Skip channels you haven't subscribed to.  When channel up/dow
> scrolling you get screen after screen of "You have not subscribed t
> this channel".  I know I haven't!!!
> Even worse are the screens that sa
>   "Red Hot Sex And Babes - You have not subscribed to this channel

Favorite channel options

> What on earth do parents think of this in the hands of their little'uns

Lockout functions, PI

> Get the cursor keys the right way round

OK on my ST

> Be able to display the program information for the channel info yo
> have scrolled to, *not* the channel currently selected
> (This is what currently happens
> Watching BBC1.  Scroll through 'what's on' thingy.  Oo look.  Somethin
> on 24-Gardening channel.  I wonder what that's about. Press 'I'nfo.  Ge
> program info on the currect BBC-1 program.  Throws channel controller a
> TV box.

EP

> Also, I would insist on being able to renumber the channels.  What on eart
> is Cartoon Network doing at 700+ when UK Gold's at about 100+.  I have t
> scroll through hundreds of "you have not subscribed..." screens, o
> dig out my channel guide to find out what the number is to enter directly

Favorite channel options

> I know several people near me who have struggled through TW's digita
> service. One of my tenets ended up giving up and getting a satellit
> dish, though I had to stand over the installers to ensure they pu
> in on the correct bit of my Convervation Area building
>
> (Oh, we'll just stick this big lump of steel on the front of you
> mid-Victorian house where it'll stick out like a sore thumb.  What
> you want it on the chimney where it won't be seen?  Sorry gov, we'r
> not covered for working at heights.  Where do they think a bl**d
> aerial normally goes?  On the pavement?!?!?!?!?!?!

There's no dish with Freevie

> <end of rant

Sounds like you experienced early Telewaste or NThell digital cable

--

Michael Turne

Posted with PPCNew

Michael Turner <mike.turner1963@DeleteThisToEmail.virgin.net> wrote:
> jgh@arcade.demon.co.uk (J.G.Harston) wrote:
[TeleWest hell]

You're probably all correct in that these problems have been fixed, but
I, my neighbour, my tenent, my brother all got soooo frustrated with
TeleWest Digital about a year back that I haven't wanted to revisit them
to see if they have improved.

I know that my tenant's Sky Box can be upgraded in software, 'cos
everytime it crashes he does a Ctrl-Break ;) (power off, hold one of
the buttons down, power back on.  Goes through some interesting
screens as it does a self-test and downloads it's firmware and
blows it back into it's nonvolatile memory)

And the cursor keys are still the wrong way round for me.  Maybe
it's just me, but I expect that with a display like this:

101 BBC-1
9:00 News
9:30 Weather
9:35 Question time

that Up/Down should scroll up and down through the times, as the
times are listed up/down on the screen; so logically left/right
should scroll through the channels.  It takes some rewiring of
my brain to press '->' to scroll the listings display *down*.

--
JGH - www.mdfs.net
0
>"Chris Young" <unsatisfactory@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>> to MC J.G.Harston:
>>
>> I guess you're still on analogue cable, then?  Hound Telewest for an
>> upgrade.
>
>I refuse to go over to digital until they get it working:
[Snip]

Get a Freeview box then. It does everything you seem to want.

--
Marcus Durham
0

> I refuse to go over to digital until they get it working:

[snip]
> Be able to display the program information for the channel info you
> have scrolled to, *not* the channel currently selected.
> (This is what currently happens:
> Watching BBC1.  Scroll through 'what's on' thingy.  Oo look.
> Something on 24-Gardening channel.  I wonder what that's about. Press
> 'I'nfo.  Get program info on the currect BBC-1 program.  Throws
> channel controller at TV box.)

My number 1 gripe (on Sky).  And I switched to Sky to get away from
Telewaste for all the reasons you've listed.  And one more - they're
customer service is ABSOLUTELY DIABOLICAL, one of, if not /the/, worst I've
ever had the misfortune of needing.

-Stef

--
New to Speccy emulation? Read this group's FAQ at:
<URL:http://www.sinclairfaq.com/>
0
stefrobb1 (25)
2/13/2004 2:25:07 PM
Yadda, yadda, yadda, J.G.Harston, blah, blah, blah, 13 Feb 2004, gibber,

> And the cursor keys are still the wrong way round for me.  Maybe
> it's just me, but I expect that with a display like this:
>
> 101 BBC-1
> 9:00 News
> 9:30 Weather
> 9:35 Question time
>
> that Up/Down should scroll up and down through the times, as the
> times are listed up/down on the screen; so logically left/right
> should scroll through the channels.  It takes some rewiring of
> my brain to press '->' to scroll the listings display *down*.

Oh, yes ... oh, yes indeedy!

-Stef

--
New to Speccy emulation? Read this group's FAQ at:
<URL:http://www.sinclairfaq.com/>
0
stefrobb1 (25)
2/13/2004 2:29:08 PM
Marcus Durham <Marcus@mdurham.co.uk> wrote:
> J.G.Harston <jgh@arcade.demon.co.uk> writes
> >I refuse to go over to digital until they get it working:
> [Snip]
> Get a Freeview box then. It does everything you seem to want.

I get crap aerial reception, which is why I went over to cable in
the first place.

It's probably worht investigating now, though, as long as I have
some sort of try-before-you-buy type of demonstration.

--
JGH - www.mdfs.net
0
<jgh@arcade.demon.co.uk> writes
>Marcus Durham <Marcus@mdurham.co.uk> wrote:
>> J.G.Harston <jgh@arcade.demon.co.uk> writes
>> >I refuse to go over to digital until they get it working:
>> [Snip]
>> Get a Freeview box then. It does everything you seem to want.
>
>I get crap aerial reception, which is why I went over to cable in
>the first place.
>
>It's probably worht investigating now, though, as long as I have
>some sort of try-before-you-buy type of demonstration.

Get a proper rigger in to do a survey (about 30 quid, which will be
knocked off if he needs to do an installation). Most people who have
shocking reception don't realise the aerial/cable is shagged or badly
installed. A good aerial rigger will be able to help solve the problems.
I see so many people complaining about TV signals when they have a nasty
aerial on the roof and cable that's rotting away from the inside!

Membership of the CAI is a good start for selecting a rigger.

It probably won't cost as much as you think.
--
Marcus Durham
0
Marcus Durham <Marcus@mdurham.co.uk> wrote:
> <jgh@arcade.demon.co.uk> writes
> >I get crap aerial reception, which is why I went over to cable in
> >the first place.
>
> Get a proper rigger in to do a survey (about 30 quid, which will be
> knocked off if he needs to do an installation). Most people who have
> shocking reception don't realise the aerial/cable is shagged or badly
> installed. A good aerial rigger will be able to help solve the problems.
> I see so many people complaining about TV signals when they have a nasty
> aerial on the roof and cable that's rotting away from the inside!

I know, I did Channel 5 retuning work years ago and some of the reception
people put up with was shocking!

Sorry, I also forgot to mention: I don't have a roof ;)
I'm in the downstairs flat (basement and ground floor) underneath
the upstairs flat (1st floor and attic). They have the rooftop
aerial. When we put a new roof on back in '95 we had the aerial
reinstalled, so it probably works, but as I was on cable back then
I never used it. I suppose I could get a second aerial installed (or
use next door's - they're on cable! - and try and ensure the wiring
goes where *I* want it, not where the rigger finds it convenient.

Anyway, you've all persuaded me that I should stop complaining and
go out there and see what options are now available that weren't there
seven years ago.

--
JGH - www.mdfs.net
0

Sinclair font for Sinclair PC200
Newsgroups: comp.sys.sinclair,comp.sys.ibm.pc.classic As we all know, the PC200 isn't a proper Sinclair computer because it doesn't use the Spectrum font. Now you can change that (provided you've got an EPROM burner). <http://www.seasip.info/AmstradXT/software.html> And because the PC200 is basically a repackaged PPC512, the same ROM will work in a PPC512/PPC640 as well. -- --------------------------- EL MEDICO MAGIC WOOD 8 John Elliott | o \_O_ CHAOS in a sig... | \/|> ...

FA: Mags, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User.
Hi I have some Spectrum mags for sale: http://cgi6.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=x-frankie-x&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=50 Please take a look. Bye. -- Michael Bruhn aka Frankie frankiex at domain webspeed.dk ...

Timex, Sinclair and Sinclair QL users...
Check this out: http://tinyurl.com/6s6r93 !! There's a lot of rare stuff on that auction! Shame the seller wants to sell it all in one go. On Dec 12, 1:06=A0am, zxbruno <zxspectrum...@gmail.com> wrote: > Check this out: > > http://tinyurl.com/6s6r93 > > !! > > There's a lot of rare stuff on that auction! Shame the seller wants to > sell it all in one go. I hope whoever gets it perserves the software. There's precious little Timex software out there. The hardware is less interesting. ...

How to get Sinclair programs off the net and into my Sinclair(s) ?
How do you take the Sinclair programs that are on the net, and get them into a audio file to load into a Sinclair? I would like to put some on a CD, or better yet on my iPod. Thanks. http://www.katmandew.com/Timex-Sinclair.htm KatManDEW <donwise@clover.net> wrote: > How do you take the Sinclair programs that are on the net, and get > them into a audio file to load into a Sinclair? I would like to put > some on a CD, or better yet on my iPod. If they're in tzx format, you can play them into an emulator and take the sound output and pipe it directly to a tape or a spectrum....

FA: Spectrum mags, Sinclair User and Your Sinclair.
Hi Please take a look: http://cgi6.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=x-frankie-x&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=50 At a start price of only �0.99 Bye. -- Michael Bruhn aka Frankie frankiex at domain webspeed.dk ...

SINCLAIR ZX81 'n TIMEX-SINCLAIR 1000/1500
Bonjour, We now have 2 NEW ZX81/TS1000 web sites, 2 NEW programmers and 4 NEW programs available. "CHOPPER DROP 3000" by Philip Lord at "http://www.tinyurl.com/2fpasj" "WAR GAME"........... "EAGLE".................... "RETROBEAMER"...... by Jens Sommerfeld at "http:// zx81.ordi5.free.fr/jens" ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- The 12th annual meeting of ZX-TEAM will be held from the 11th to the 13th of April. Get more infos from "http://www.zx-team.de/" ---...

[...]

The UK World Of Spectrum and Como.sys.sinclair meet
Well, it had to happen sometime... Plans are afoot for a big meet next year for all specchums! Right now, voting is taking place for everyone's favourite place, day and time for the meet... http://www.hippykillers.gameguild.co.uk/meet/ So get voting! The page is there until New years eve. Get saving too! I feel that much alcyhol will be consumed! -- **************The Starglider*************** Public E-Mail. * http://www.starglider.dynu.com/radio * Ask for private * Starglider Radio - listen and enjoy! * address. * E-Mail:the_starglider2002@w...

For sale: games for Amstrad & Acorn BBC & Acorn Electron & Commodore 64 & Commodore Vic20 & Dragon 32 & Oric & Sinclair ZX81 & Sinclair ZX Spectrum (16k & 48k) & IBM PC (5.25" & 3.5" & CD)
I have many old games, on 5.25" & 3.5" & CD for PC and on tapes for Amstrad & Acorn BBC & Acorn Electron & Commodore 64 & Commodore Vic20 & Dragon 32 & Oric & Sinclair ZX81 & Sinclair ZX Spectrum (16k & 48k). I need to sell some of them. Would you like to buy any? I have bank accounts in the U.K.; the Republic of Ireland; Sweden; Germany; the Netherlands and Italy, so I can accept payment in a number of currencies and in a number of ways. I live at 2461 Via Tosco Romagnola, Titignano, 56023 Cascina (PI), Italy. Send me an email or a lett...

CPM for Sinclair?
Since the Sinclair was Z80 based, was there ever a version of CP/M made? Or were they too 'non standard' to pull that off? In message <jV0_e.368200$x96.188556@attbi_s72>, Ziggy <Ziggy@faked-address.com> writes >Since the Sinclair was Z80 based, was there ever a version of CP/M made? > >Or were they too 'non standard' to pull that off? Yes this was/is available for the Plus 3 which could be configured to have 64K of addressable RAM. The display is a bit naff as you have a 32 or 51 character wide window on an 80 column screen. Distribution is denied as...

Sinclair Zike
Has anyone got a Sinclair Zike that they can supply a photograph of? If so please mail me at speccy AT weathertoride.co.uk Ta ...

Sinclair does Commodore.
Those wild and crazy Sinclair ZX Speccy folk have managed to get a VIC-20 emulated on a Spectrum and a SAM Coup=E9. Respect: http://simonowen.com/spectrum/vic20emu/ Actually does 6502 at up to 1/7th the speed of a real VIC-20. the SAM Coup=E9 with the Quazar accelerator (running at 20Mhz) is apparently fairly close to the original VIC speed. There are obviously some limitations here and there. So, we can emulate Sinclair BASIC already... did anyone start a Speccy or ZX81 emulator for the Commodore? Regards, Shaun. commodorecomputerclub@googlemail.com wrote: > So, we can emulate Sinc...

Sinclair Aviation?!
http://www.sincuser.f9.co.uk/049/news.htm (C5 Takes To The Skies) This must have been a joke or false rumour, surely?! It's the first time I've come across "Sinclair Aviation"... -- Posted via Mailgate.ORG Server - http://www.Mailgate.ORG "Nick Humphries" <mg@the-den.clara.net> wrote in message news:3fb714603153a477e61bfad870d01c2a.75886@mygate.mailgate.org > This must have been a joke or false rumour, surely?! It's the first time > I've come across "Sinclair Aviation"... Aha, it was reported in the April 1986 issue of SU. Nuff ...

Sinclair Calculations
You may like to see the latest calculations on a 48k Spectrum on www.AIDSCJDUK.info Comments welcomed. Best wishes, Edward edwardhfd@aol.com wrote: > You may like to see the latest calculations on a 48k Spectrum on > www.AIDSCJDUK.info > Comments welcomed. Best wishes, Edward > Okay I'm going to bite, what is this trash to do with the humble, but oh so great 48k Spectrum? I mean aids projections? What are you on? Daz. Την Sun, 19 Feb 2006 12:10:10 -0500,ο(η) dmodus <dsparrow@NOSPAMOKmadasafish.com> έγραψε: > edwardhfd@aol.com wrote: >> You may like to s...

Sinclair C5
Had my first go on a Sinclair C5 last Thursday. What a blast! If Sir C made that today then I think he'd have a hit on his hands - not as a new mode of transport but as an alternative for the yoof to bomb around on pavements in. Why not approach him for the rights and see if Hoover can make you some bits? Sell em as kits. Brian -- Brian Gaff....Note, this account does not accept Bcc: email. graphics are great, but the blind can't hear them Email: briang1@blueyonder.co.uk ____________________________________________________________________________________________________...

Sinclair spotting
http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2008/03/weekend_project_phaser_bl_1.html Gun operated alarm clock. Note what gun :) On Mar 16, 11:12 am, deKay <an...@deleteme.lofi- gaming.nospam.org.uk.invalid> wrote: > http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2008/03/weekend_project_phaser_bl_1.... > > Gun operated alarm clock. Note what gun :) Thanks for the link! Really nice. zxbruno <zxspectrum128@gmail.com> wrote in news:dd92ec0a-0d90-4135-948b- 7a7cc6993fde@i7g2000prf.googlegroups.com: > On Mar 16, 11:12 am, deKay <an...@deleteme.lofi- > gaming.nospam.org.uk.invalid> wrote...

Sinclair QL
In the 80's my company did a lot of development work and consulting for companies developing personal computers. We are in the process of moving and I have for the last few weeks working my way through a junk room oops (Historical products department) This mornings spelunking ran across a new never been powered up Sinclair QL and a box QL software Fortran compiler, assembler some form of spreadsheet. A handful of stringy floppies w.. On Mar 30, 8:54=A0am, Walter Banks <wal...@bytecraft.com> wrote: > In the 80's my company did a lot of development work and consulting >...

The Sinclair Story
Hi Guys Ive put my copy of The Sinclair Story up on Ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=020&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&viewitem=&item=300126137429&rd=1&rd=1 Feel free to Bid ...

Sinclair on the Top
Look Look http://www.1000bit.net/database4.asp !!! The top 20 most wanted computers between all users' wishlists !!!! Best Regards, Daniel Mandic Daniel Mandic schreef: > http://www.1000bit.net/database4.asp > > !!! The top 20 most wanted computers between all users' wishlists !!!! > > Best Regards, > > Daniel Mandic You mean the ZX Spectrum + 128k of course Rick ...

We begun with Sinclair
I got my first game machine in 1986 - the Spectrum. Today I am upgrading my computer just for my 4 year old niece. She is already a computer maniac. She plays about 4 hours per day with computer. The games she is playing are very addictive and I find myself sometimes playing this games. I must carry to she is not too long by the computer, because if she could, she would play all the day. Now I am wondering if today children are better on it. They have bigger scale to choose from, the games are better, when I was 4 years the computers didn't exist yet. What will grow out of them ? B...

Sinclair RGB
I wish I could find the dog gone DIN to TTL RGB adapter that I made for my Sinclair QL many many years ago, because I still have my QL and the TTL RGB monitor, and I just got a Spektrum 128K, and it has RGB output... BTW: Is there any way to load programs into the Spektrum 128K-2, other than the built-in tape drive? http://www.katmandew.com/Timex-Sinclair.htm Well, Interface 1 or many disc interfaces etc, but if you mean on its own, not really unless you count the old Codemasters joystick loader for their cd. Brian -- Brian Gaff....Note, this account does not accept Bcc: email. graphi...

Sinclair Roms and Screens
Is there any place out there to download these as a set. I can find lots of place to download them one at a time but not as a set. Thanks, John In article <DbYid.370463$D%.122412@attbi_s51>, John Crouse <none@none.com> wrote: >Is there any place out there to download these as a set. There aren't that many ROMs available; I have the vast majority of them listed on my page. Cheers, Phil -- Philip Kendall <pak21@srcf.ucam.org> http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~pak21/ Ok, poor choice of words. I meant games. Disk and tape images. Thanks for the reply, John "...

Old Sinclair advert
I've just come across an old leaflet (in mint condition) advertising the Spectrum. On the front cover is a close-up of the keyboard, this folds out to reveal various key features, statistics, screenshots and what have you. It also lists the price of the 16k model as �125 and the 48k as �175. Has anyone else ever come across these and if so do any scans exist? If not is anyone interested in me scanning it? Rummaging through the loft, Paul F wrote: > I've just come across an old leaflet (in mint condition) advertising the Ooh... Sounds good... I'd scan it in, if I were y...

Web resources about - Sinclair on BBC4 - comp.sys.sinclair

Sinclair Research - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Sinclair Research Ltd is a British consumer electronics company founded by Sir Clive Sinclair in Cambridge . Originally incorporated in 1973 ...

Scott Sinclair (@Scott_Sin) on Twitter
Scott Sinclair (@Scott_Sin) on Twitter

Queensland girl Ella Sinclair on campaign to meet Taylor Swift
Eleven-year-old Sunshine Coast girl Ella Sinclair is hoping her wildest dreams come true ahead of Taylor Swift's Brisbane gig on Saturday.

Callum Sinclair making himself indispensable at West Coast
In round 18, West Coast's Callum Sinclair was lying on the Metricon Stadium surface, holding his knee and wondering if his 2015 AFL season was ...

90min Exclusive: Trevor Sinclair Has His Say on the Final Champions League Spot
West Ham and Manchester United will both have their sights set firmly on a top four place when the Premier League returns in midweek, and former ...

Sinclair Fight With Dish Could Spur FCC Action Against TV Blackouts
A dispute between Sinclair Broadcast Group and Dish Network that's left about 5 million satellite-TV customers without local channels could spur ...

Today's Economic History: Upton Sinclair's "The Jungle"
**Eric Schlosser** (2006): [On Upton Sinclair: 'I Aimed For The Public's Heart, And... Hit It In The Stomach'](http://articles.chicagotribun ...

Sinclair’s American Sports Network to Air MAC Football, Basketball Games
Sinclair Broadcast Group subsidiary American Sports Network has reached a multi-year sublicense agreement with ESPN to televise Mid-American ...

Dish, Sinclair End Broadcast Network Blackout… For Now, At Least
... ) Dish’s latest contract fight with the networks it airs has wrapped up much more quickly than usual: less than a day after nearly 130 Sinclair ...

Jaz Sinclair Signs With UTA
Up and comer Jaz Sinclair , most recently seen alongside Nat Wolff and Cara Delevinge in Paper Towns , has signed with United Talent Agency . ...