The UK World Of Spectrum and Como.sys.sinclair meet

Well, it had to happen sometime...

Plans are afoot for a big meet next year for all specchums!

Right now, voting is taking place for everyone's favourite place, day and time
for the meet...

http://www.hippykillers.gameguild.co.uk/meet/

So get voting! The page is there until New years eve.

Get saving too! I feel that much alcyhol will be consumed!
--
        **************The Starglider***************  Public E-Mail.
        *  http://www.starglider.dynu.com/radio   * Ask for private

And before anyone comments... yes I spelt "comp" wrong in the header! I've just
woken up!
--
        **************The Starglider***************  Public E-Mail.
        *  http://www.starglider.dynu.com/radio   * Ask for private
        *  Starglider Radio - listen and enjoy!   *    address.
        * E-Mail:the_starglider2002@wibble.co.uk  *     _WW_
        *     CHANGE WIBBLE TO YAHOO TO REPLY     *    /_  _\
        *******************************************   | O  O |
_____________________________________________________oOO_\/_OOo_____
As an additional, don't vote for the month of January. It may be removed as it's
soo close to xmas and money may be tight.
--
        **************The Starglider***************  Public E-Mail.
        *  http://www.starglider.dynu.com/radio   * Ask for private
        *  Starglider Radio - listen and enjoy!   *    address.
        * E-Mail:the_starglider2002@wibble.co.uk  *     _WW_
        *     CHANGE WIBBLE TO YAHOO TO REPLY     *    /_  _\
        *******************************************   | O  O |
_____________________________________________________oOO_\/_OOo_____

FA: Spectrum mags, Sinclair User and Your Sinclair.
Hi Please take a look: http://cgi6.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=x-frankie-x&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=50 At a start price of only �0.99 Bye. -- Michael Bruhn aka Frankie frankiex at domain webspeed.dk ...

sys
computer common oriented http://www.freewebs.com/buildem/ http://amigos.com/go/g904313-pmem ...

sys
Is it OT here to talk about IPC and pipes? Or are all aspects of kernle programming ok here? Bill Bill Cunningham <nospam@nspam.com> wrote: > Is it OT here to talk about IPC and pipes? Or are all aspects of kernle > programming ok here? If you want to discuss how IPC and pipes are implemented in the kernel it's completely ok. But if you're interested in how to use IPC or pipes from a userland program then posting to e.g. comp.unix.programmer or comp.os.linux.development.apps will probably make a lot more sense. R...

Broken 2nd hand 'Sinclair Spectrum 128K' (probably the UK ver.)
Hi NG I have bought a seemingly broken 128K Speccy. The calculator makes some (some dozen) vertical bars, from the bottom up to the top, in GREEN, BRIGHT GREEN, MAGENTA and BLACK. Bright Green and Green bars are FLASHING with/to Magenta. Opened up, chips are getting warm and hot (CPU, ROM, ULA, etc.). PCF1603P (ZX8401) kept cool?? Best regards, Daniel Mandic P.S.: Spending holiday the next weeks. Best Wishes to all. Long live the Sinclair and Computers. I assume this is with nothing plugged in the back? I think the ULA you mention does run cool, so I doubt if that is any indication. Are any of the chips socketted? Do you have the right power supply, IE not a 48k one? Is the regulator plug OK? After that I'm afraid it could be almost anything. Brian -- Brian Gaff....Note, this account does not accept Bcc: email. graphics are great, but the blind can't hear them Email: briang1@blueyonder.co.uk ______________________________________________________________________________________________________________ "Daniel Mandic" <daniel_mandic@ping.at> wrote in message news:eckhvt$1lo$1@paperboy.si.eunet.at... > Hi NG > > > > I have bought a seemingly broken 128K Speccy. > > The calculator makes some (some dozen) vertical bars, from the bottom > up to the top, in GREEN, BRIGHT GREEN, MAGENTA and BLACK. Bright Green > and Green bars are FLASHING with/to Magenta. > > Opened up, chips are getting warm and hot...

com.sys and usbser.sys question
I got a question, for those knowing more about that matter than myself, which shouldn't be hard ;-) Temporarily having 2 phone lines at my disposal, I wanted to put my old modem back to use as a phone number dialer, using the BonusPack PIM Phonebook application. But I had quite some trouble to get my COM1 port to work at all with any comm application. It finally turned out, that COM.SYS has to be loaded before USBSER.SYS, since otherwise USBSER.SYS is hijacking COM1 unnoticed. Now, in the order shown below, it assigns itself to COM6 (if not remed out), but COM1 still d...

com.sys & vcom.sys
It's been a while since I last installed 1.1 and when I did it yesterday I forgot to de-select Ray Gwinn's com drivers. After installation I removed the entries from config.sys and un-remmed com.sys and vcom.sys but they won't load. I checked and it's in c:/os2/boot. What's the cure? :-) Wayne -- While the e-mail address in this post is genuine it is only used as a spamtrap. Any mail sent to me at this address will be considered to be spam and deleted without being read. Wayne wrote: > It's been a while since I last installed 1.1 and when I > did it yesterday I forgot to de-select Ray Gwinn's com > drivers. After installation I removed the entries from > config.sys and un-remmed com.sys and vcom.sys but they > won't load. I checked and it's in c:/os2/boot. What's > the cure? :-) They must come after mouse/vmouse/pointdd device drivers in the config.sys file. Stu/2 On Tuesday 05 Oct 2004 17:06 Stewart Buckingham wrote: >> It's been a while since I last installed 1.1 and when I >> did it yesterday I forgot to de-select Ray Gwinn's com >> drivers. After installation I removed the entries from >> config.sys and un-remmed com.sys and vcom.sys but they >> won't load. I checked and it's in c:/os2/boot. What's >> the cure? :-) > > They must come after mouse/vmouse/pointdd device drivers in the > config.sys file. I believe they are, I checked while I was...

SYSMAN: No SYS$SCRATCH/SYS$LOGIN ?
$ mc sysman SYSMAN> set env/node=velo %SYSMAN-I-ENV, current command environment: Individual nodes: VELO Username JFMEZEI will be used on nonlocal nodes SYSMAN> do show log sys$scratch %SYSMAN-I-OUTPUT, command execution on node VELO %SHOW-S-NOTRAN, no translation for logical name SYS$SCRATCH SYSMAN> There is also no SYS$LOGIN defined. (VAX 7,3 and Alpha 8.3) What is the reason behind the lack of those logicals ? JF Mezei wrote: > $ mc sysman > SYSMAN> set env/node=velo > %SYSMAN-I-ENV, current command environment: > Individual nodes:...

SYS$SPECIFIC and SYS$COMMON not enough?
Basically, the idea is that stuff specific to a given node will be in its SYS$SPECIFIC directory and stuff common to all nodes (satellites or not) booting from the same system disk will be in SYS$COMMON. A good idea as far as it goes, but does it go far enough? In particular, there are two additional categories, which I'll give the obvious names SYS$CLUSTER and SYS$WORLD. SYS$CLUSTER would include stuff common to all nodes in a cluster, i.e. would differ from SYS$COMMON if there is more than one system disk in the cluster. The obvious place for this stuff is somewhere which is not on ANY system disk. SYS$MANAGER:SYLOGICALS.TEMPLATE provides (at least in newer versions of VMS, starting with 7.2 I believe) a list of at least the most common candidates among VMS system files. Add to this procedures to mount disks in a cluster, SYLOGIN.COM etc. (Obviously, I'm thinking of a cluster where as much as possible is shared.) SYS$WORLD, on the other hand, would include stuff which is common to ALL VMS system disks in the world, e.g. the executables used by VMS itself. Obviously, this should be on EVERY system disk. Put another way, the current SYS$COMMON is a mixture of stuff common to all nodes which boot from that disk, stuff common to all VMS systems in the world and, if the stuff is not located somewhere else (pointed to by logicals in the case of VMS system files), stuff common to all nodes in the cluster (perhaps duplicated on more than one system...

Timex, Sinclair and Sinclair QL users...
Check this out: http://tinyurl.com/6s6r93 !! There's a lot of rare stuff on that auction! Shame the seller wants to sell it all in one go. On Dec 12, 1:06=A0am, zxbruno <zxspectrum...@gmail.com> wrote: > Check this out: > > http://tinyurl.com/6s6r93 > > !! > > There's a lot of rare stuff on that auction! Shame the seller wants to > sell it all in one go. I hope whoever gets it perserves the software. There's precious little Timex software out there. The hardware is less interesting. ...

For sale: games for Amstrad & Acorn BBC & Acorn Electron & Commodore 64 & Commodore Vic20 & Dragon 32 & Oric & Sinclair ZX81 & Sinclair ZX Spectrum (16k & 48k) & IBM PC (5.25" & 3.5" & CD)
I have many old games, on 5.25" & 3.5" & CD for PC and on tapes for Amstrad & Acorn BBC & Acorn Electron & Commodore 64 & Commodore Vic20 & Dragon 32 & Oric & Sinclair ZX81 & Sinclair ZX Spectrum (16k & 48k). I need to sell some of them. Would you like to buy any? I have bank accounts in the U.K.; the Republic of Ireland; Sweden; Germany; the Netherlands and Italy, so I can accept payment in a number of currencies and in a number of ways. I live at 2461 Via Tosco Romagnola, Titignano, 56023 Cascina (PI), Italy. Send me an email or a lett...

The Sinclair Spectrum is rubbish!
The Brits are too stupid for building computers, cars or anything else... USA USA USA! -F.R. Ah school holidays have come early this year. Brian -- Brian Gaff....Note, this account does not accept Bcc: email. graphics are great, but the blind can't hear them Email: briang1@blueyonder.co.uk ______________________________________________________________________________________________________________ "ForeverRent" <hesacopontheedge@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:jphcvj$osd$1@speranza.aioe.org... > The Brits are too stupid for building computers, cars or anything else... > > USA USA USA! > > -F.R. > On Wed, 23 May 2012, ForeverRent wrote: > The Brits are too stupid for building computers, cars or anything else... > > USA USA USA! Outstanding. deKay -- Lofi Gaming - http://lofi-gaming.org.uk Gaming Diary - http://lofi-gaming.org.uk/diary Blog - http://lofi-gaming.org.uk/blog My computer runs at 3.5MHz and I'm proud of that Ignore the address-spoofing troll. Carry on. On Wed, 23 May 2012 03:02:42 +0200, ForeverRent wrote: (OK, I'l byte... troll scoring NG followup removed) > The Brits are too stupid for building computers, cars or anything else... > > USA USA USA! While the Americans did design the worlds best 8Bit home computer... (dons flameproof suit) ....why is it that nearly all the good games came from PAL land? And if it wernt for us brits building computers, the '...

Unix for the Sinclair Spectrum?
Where can I find Unix for the Sinclair Spectrum on tape or microdrive cartridge ? On Wed, 17 Dec 2003, Adam Ben Nalois wrote: > Where can I find Unix for the Sinclair Spectrum on tape or microdrive cartridge ? UNIX for the Spectrum, called Spectrix, will be released on April 1st, 2004, by Sinclair Research. Apparantly, it's part of the 20th anniversary celebrations. OTOH, you might want to check out a BBC Micro with the Torch 68010 co-processor. It ran a version of UNIX, all those years ago. -- Rich Teer, SCNA, SCSA . * * . * .* . ...

How to get Sinclair programs off the net and into my Sinclair(s) ?
How do you take the Sinclair programs that are on the net, and get them into a audio file to load into a Sinclair? I would like to put some on a CD, or better yet on my iPod. Thanks. http://www.katmandew.com/Timex-Sinclair.htm KatManDEW <donwise@clover.net> wrote: > How do you take the Sinclair programs that are on the net, and get > them into a audio file to load into a Sinclair? I would like to put > some on a CD, or better yet on my iPod. If they're in tzx format, you can play them into an emulator and take the sound output and pipe it directly to a tape or a spectrum. -- | spike1@freenet.co.uk | Windows95 (noun): 32 bit extensions and a | | | graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit | | Andrew Halliwell BSc | operating system originally coded for a 4 bit | | in |microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company, that| | Computer Science | can't stand 1 bit of competition. | On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 23:43:50 +0000, Andrew Halliwell <spike1@ponder.sky.com> wrote: >KatManDEW <donwise@clover.net> wrote: >> How do you take the Sinclair programs that are on the net, and get >> them into a audio file to load into a Sinclair? I would like to put >> some on a CD, or better yet on my iPod. > >If they're in tzx format, you can play them into an emulator and take the >sound output and pipe it directly to a tape or a spectrum. Thanks f...

sys.stdout / sys.stderr, subprocess, redirection
Hello, I have a piece of code that gets run in a script that has its stdout closed: import sys sys.stdout = sys.stderr c = subprocess.Popen (..., stdin = subprocess.PIPE, stdout = subprocess.PIPE, stderr = subprocess.STDOUT) and this is what I get: Sending SVNR/permissions Transmitting file data .svn: Commit failed (details follow): svn: 'pre-commit' hook failed with error output: Traceback (most recent call last): (...) File ".../__init__.py", line 40, in run stderr...

problem with reload(sys) (doing reload on the sys module)
Python 2.4.2 (#67, Sep 28 2005, 12:41:11) [MSC v.1310 32 bit (Intel)] on win32 Type "copyright", "credits" or "license()" for more information. **************************************************************** Personal firewall software may warn about the connection IDLE makes to its subprocess using this computer's internal loopback interface. This connection is not visible on any external interface and no data is sent to or received from the Internet. **************************************************************** IDLE 1.1.2 >&g...

Free Sinclair Spectrums!
They've done nothing wrong! Yeah, I see, well, joke circa 1984, ZX Computing? Brian -- Brian Gaff....Note, this account does not accept Bcc: email. graphics are great, but the blind can't hear them Email: briang1@blueyonder.co.uk ______________________________________________________________________________________________________________ "Nomen Nescio" <nobody@dizum.com> wrote in message news:4c222cf30f754ac839b5116a8e7c557d@dizum.com... > They've done nothing wrong! > Brian Gaff wrote: > Yeah, I see, well, joke circa 1984, ZX Computing? > > Brian > Bill posters will be prosecuted. Bill posters is inocent. -- Letts stop killing each other, letts all live in peace. To much pain, to much suffering. ...

the legacy of the Sinclair Spectrum
From the «8 bits should be good enough for anyone» department: Title: The legacy of Sinclair's Spectrum Author: Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2014 17:09:38 -0500 Link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-30333671#sa-ns_mchannel=rss&ns_source=PublicRSS20-sa How the Spectrum's creator changed the world In article <m6213b$mj1$1@solani.org>, RS Wood <rsw@therandymon.com> wrote: > From the «8 bits should be good enough for anyone» department: > Title: The legacy of Sinclair's Spectrum > Author: > Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2014 17:09:38 -0500 ...

Why was the Sinclair Spectrum so successful ?
I don't understand : The Spectrum has ugly graphics that are worse than graphics of early-80s handhelds. The sound is so bad, it should be considered a WMD , because it can cause ear-cancer and AIDS. And the keyboard, oh yes, you cannot call it a keyboard.It's a joke!!! The RAM - 48K, come on, this was ok for the 70s, but not the 80s! The CPU - a lame Z80, oh no! Mass-storage on TAPES ? Come on, all the other computers had DISK drives, even the systems from the 70s like the Apple 2 or the ATARI 800. No sprites, no scrolling, no specials chips - come on, even the 70s computer from ATA...

Re: SYS$SPECIFIC and SYS$COMMON not enough? #2
> How weird - we did this as a different excercise to do upgrades off > line on the read only stuff, and swap it back in quickly. We also have > a third party product root to keep our own/third party stuff out of > SYS$SYSDEVICE:[VMS$COMMON...] tree, like a "/usr/local...". > > H sh lo sys$sysroot > "SYS$SYSROOT" = "$9$DKA0:[SYS0.]" (LNM$SYSTEM_TABLE) > = "SYS$COMMON:" > 1 "SYS$COMMON" = "CLU$COMMON:" (LNM$SYSTEM_TABLE) > = "VMS$COMMON:" > = "OUR$COMMON:" > 2 "CLU$COMMON" = "$9$DKA0:[SYS0.CLUCOMMON.]" (LNM$SYSTEM_TABLE) > 2 "VMS$COMMON" = "$9$DKA0:[SYS0.SYSCOMMON.]" (LNM$SYSTEM_TABLE) > 2 "OUR$COMMON" = "$9$DKA0:[SYS0.OURCOMMON.]" (LNM$SYSTEM_TABLE) > > > $! R.P. Young 26-Jun-1991 > $! > $! Added cluster support to our environment by making > $! SYS$COMMON a search list, by including a CLU$COMMON > $! and moving OUR$COMMON from SYS$SYSROOT search list > $! to the SYS$COMMON search list. The CLU$COMMON is > $! required for non buildable cluster specific files > $! such As SYSUAF.DAT. Some questions: Why CLU$COMMON before VMS$COMMON in the search list? Logically, I would think one should first search in SYS$SPECIFIC (as you do), then in VMS$COMMON, then CLU$...

DADCONF.NET.SYS is created by JCONFJOB.NET.SYS
Never mind the question about DADCONF.NET.SYS. I found the following: http://docs.hp.com/cgi-bin/fsearch/framedisplay?top=/mpeix/onlinedocs/30 216-90325/30216-90325_top.html&con=/mpeix/onlinedocs/30216-90325/00/00/6 8-con.html&toc=/mpeix/onlinedocs/30216-90325/00/00/68-toc.html&searchter ms=dadconf.net.sys&queryid=20041022-080827 For the network to work correctly, stream JCONFJOB. :STREAM JCONFJOB.NET.SYS The JCONFJOB.NET.SYS stream is required for all systems. It includes information files that describe the supported set of servers and services. These information fi...

sys/processor.h sys/loadavg.h in linux?
I have a program I wrote for Solaris. I am trying to port the program to linux. One of the problems I am having is attaining hardware information on the machine. Using sys/processor.h on solaris, I am able to num cpu's and clock speed. Using sys/loadavg.h, I am able to get the load avg u/s/i. I can still get mem, and free mem from sysconf, that is ok. I would rather not parse through /proc/cpuinfo! TIA, ~S ...

[9fans] hg mirror of /sys/src and /sys/include
Hi, I started mirroring /sys/src and /sys/include into an hg repository regularly, usually daily. The tree is available at http://code.google.com/p/plan9os. hg clone https://plan9os.googlecode.org/hg/ plan9 should do the trick to clone a copy. Hopefully this will be useful, -- vs ...

Sinclair Spectrum in model rockets
I�ve build in a Sinclair board into one of my model rockets.The Spectrum board is small , weighs almost nothing and the system is simple and fast. Test launch will be this Saturday if the weather is ok. I also use a Spectrum as control system on the ground.If it�s succesful, we may see the Spectrum�s rebirth as system for rocket building. BTW. C64s are far to big and have useless custom chips for this experiment. Counting down, Adam Ben Nalois wrote: > Test launch will be this Saturday if the weather is ok. SPECCIES IN SPAAAAACCCCEEEEE!!!!!!!!!! [1] Hope it all goes well... Toodle-p...

The Sinclair Spectrum is rubbish
The Sinclair Spectrum is utter crap. Only 8 colors and no real sound, a rubber keyboard and no sprites. That's what I call crap. Discuss! Is it spring already? Or is the annual flamewar getting earlier? So what's up with that AmigaOS lawsuit? Zedex Dragon <cheveron@gmail.com> wrote: > Is it spring already? Or is the annual flamewar getting earlier? So > what's up with that AmigaOS lawsuit? This moron you replied to doesn't care about the traditions or people of these newsgroups. It's just a troll. Otherwise it would've posted to the thread it started ...

Web resources about - The UK World Of Spectrum and Como.sys.sinclair meet - comp.sys.sinclair

Spectrum of theistic probability - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Let us consider the appropriateness or otherwise of someone (call him ' Philo ') describing himself as a theist, atheist or agnostic. I would ...

Making a Murderer filmmakers Moira Demos and Laura Ricciardi coming to Australia for Spectrum Now Festival ...
The filmmakers behind the hit Netflix series will be in conversation with Charlie Pickering at an exclusive festival event.

Award-winning artist and tattooist Leslie Rice brings his tattoo parlour to Spectrum Now
Award-winning artist and tattooist Leslie Rice brings his tattoo parlour to the Spectrum Now festival.

Logitech Announces The Ambidextrous G900 Chaos Spectrum Gaming Mouse
Today Logitech is announcing the latest in their lineup of gaming mice. The G900 Chaos Spectrum is a wired and wireless mouse, and it is one ...

Handheld ZX Spectrum brings ‘80s gaming to your morning commute
While last year's officially licensed ZX Spectrum Vega —a plug-and-play games-only version of the UK's finest 1980s home computer—didn't quite ...

Dish: Less Downside Given Spectrum Discount, Says Wunderlich
Shares of satellite TV provider Dish Network (DISH) are up $1.66, or almost 4%, at $45.82, after Wunderlich Securities’s Matthew Harrigan raised ...

Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum wireless gaming mouse outperforms wired mice
... wired mice can have less lag, offering better performance. Today, Logitech announces a gaming-focused mouse. Called the G900 Chaos Spectrum, ...

People from all over the political spectrum compared Trump to Hitler this weekend
... accomplishment was educating the world about the joys of bunga bunga parties . That said, a lot of people from across the political spectrum ...

T-Mobile gets $2 billion boost ahead of game-changing spectrum auction
... compete with arch-rivals AT&T and Verizon. The company (Nasdaq: TMUS) is stocking up on cash ahead of a Federal Communications Commission spectrum ...

Tea Party Caucus Chairman Tim Huelskamp Endorses Ted Cruz, a ‘Full Spectrum Conservative’
Tea Party Caucus Chairman Tim Huelskamp Endorses Ted Cruz, a ‘Full Spectrum Conservative’