Which is your favourite Spectrum?

Not necessarily based on the abilities of the unit but which is your model
of preference?
ZX80(not a spectrum but yknow)
ZX81(ditto)
ZX Spectrum
ZX Spectrum +
ZX Spectrum 128
ZX Spectrum +2
ZX Spectrum +2a
ZX Spectrum +3
Sam Coupe(ditto, ditto)

Mine's the ZX Spectrum 128

0
sc1 (97)
2/18/2004 12:59:00 PM
comp.sys.sinclair 6096 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

For me I think it has to be the Spectrum 128K+2B

Mike....

--

http://uk.geocities.com/swift240/mikes_page_1.html

0
mldl21624 (21)
2/18/2004 1:23:33 PM
In article <yHJYb.4137$IB3.1323@news-binary.blueyonder.co.uk>,
Mike Lee  <mldl21624@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>For me I think it has to be the Spectrum 128K+2B

Why the +2B rather than the +2A? They're identical apart from the stamp
on the bottom.

Phil

--
  Philip Kendall <pak21@srcf.ucam.org>
  http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~pak21/

Mike....

--

http://uk.geocities.com/swift240/mikes_page_1.html

0
mldl21624 (21)
2/18/2004 1:29:28 PM
Ahha I knew I seen it some where.....

There are several models of the Spectrum +2 : the Spectrum +2 (grey
case) which has a motherboard nearly identical to that of the 128, and
the Spectrum +2A and +2B (black case) which are simply Spectrum +3
computers with a tape-recorder instead of the disk drive. It means that
their motherboards are quite similar to that of the +3. The difference
between the +2A and +2B is mainly due to a move in production from Hong
Kong to Taiwan.
Note that the first ROMs developed by Amstrad for the +2 model caused
compatibility problems with the old Spectrum software, so they changed a
few things in later ROMs.

When Amstrad conceived the +2A/B and the +3 they redesigned the
motherboard and made some internal changes on the bus. They also removed
the keypad scanning routines of the Spectrum 128 and +2 (remember the
keypad sold with the Spanish Spectrum 128k ?).

Mike....

--

http://uk.geocities.com/swift240/mikes_page_1.html

0
mldl21624 (21)
2/18/2004 1:33:59 PM
> ZX Spectrum

Very simply because the eraser-style keyboard may have been smaller and
cheaper, but was still better than the Spectrum+'s keyboard. You can't
touch-type on either one of them, but at least the eraser-keyboard had
raised keys which made them easier to press.

PeterV

0
peterv (74)
2/18/2004 3:54:56 PM
> Very simply because the eraser-style keyboard may have been smaller and
> cheaper, but was still better than the Spectrum+'s keyboard. You can't
> touch-type on either one of them, but at least the eraser-keyboard had
> raised keys which made them easier to press.

Yes, I said the 128, but I hate the keyboard, the Spectrum 48's keyboard is
so soft and welcoming, rather than the strange curves and edges of the +
series. But the +128k has a real style about it.
sc

0
sc1 (97)
2/18/2004 4:38:41 PM
On 18 Feb 2004 13:25:56 -0000, Philip Kendall says...

> >For me I think it has to be the Spectrum 128K+2B
>
> Why the +2B rather than the +2A? They're identical apart from the stamp
> on the bottom.

Also on the +2A it says "Use only Sinclair SJS-1 joysticks" while on the
+2B it says "Use only Sinclair joysticks". :)
0
no18 (4537)
2/18/2004 6:25:39 PM
On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 12:59:00 GMT, "SicCoyote" <sc@nospamtv13.co.uk>
wrote:

>Not necessarily based on the abilities of the unit but which is your model
>of preference?
>ZX80(not a spectrum but yknow)
>ZX81(ditto)

The fantastic ZX81, without a shadow of doubt. The first really
affordable computer that you could write and play your own video games
on out of the box. And it was the main beginning of my love/hate
relationship with computers (I love them, they seem to hate me).

--
Chris Cowley
"SicCoyote" <sc@nospamtv13.co.uk> wrote in message
> Not necessarily based on the abilities of the unit but which is your model
> of preference?
> ZX80(not a spectrum but yknow)
> ZX81(ditto)
> ZX Spectrum
> ZX Spectrum +
> ZX Spectrum 128
> ZX Spectrum +2
> ZX Spectrum +2a
> ZX Spectrum +3
> Sam Coupe(ditto, ditto)
>
> Mine's the ZX Spectrum 12

After having a 16k spec a spectrum+ (bought on a YTS wage after my old
expanded 16k`s keyboard went)
I sold that in a moment of weakness and later bought a  2nd hand +3 and
bought a multiface 3 for it.
Apart from Bombjack not working it was luxury to play Chaos within seconds
of turning the Speccy on :o)
So mine would be a +3 with the multiface I guess.

0
nospam52 (1566)
2/18/2004 7:59:13 PM
"uselesses" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message news:<c10g6a$1cqtpl$1@ID-51425.news.uni-berlin.de>...
> "SicCoyote" <sc@nospamtv13.co.uk> wrote in message
> > Not necessarily based on the abilities of the unit but which is your model
> > of preference?

The ZX Spectrum +, quite simply because it was the model I owned. One
of my friends had a +3 and another one a ZX Spectrum 48K. While the
former impressed me with its features and solid looks, I really
tripped on the styling of the 48K and the cool rubber keys.

-Arjun
"SicCoyote" <sc@nospamtv13.co.uk> wrote in message news:<b7e7fc05c6e3cf25a38f63d256c0df73@news.teranews.com>...
> Not necessarily based on the abilities of the unit but which is your model
> of preference?
> ZX80(not a spectrum but yknow)
> ZX81(ditto)
> ZX Spectrum
> ZX Spectrum +
> ZX Spectrum 128
> ZX Spectrum +2
> ZX Spectrum +2a
> ZX Spectrum +3
> Sam Coupe(ditto, ditto)
>
> Mine's the ZX Spectrum 128

I owned the rubber keyed model, the Plus and the +2 and loved them all
for different reasons.  The +2 was undoubtedly the best computer of
the three, but by the time I got it (in 1987) the Speccy scene was
becoming a bit tired and its games increasingly formulaic. The
original Spectrum was great, but I destroyed it with too much Daley
Thompson and its aerial socket developed a dodgy connection. So I
suppose - controversially perhaps - that the Spectrum Plus was my
favourite. I had it from late 1984 through to 1987 and we went on a
lot of wonderful pixellated adventures together.

Russ
0
tayles (147)
2/19/2004 12:43:34 PM
On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 12:59:00 +0000, SicCoyote wrote:

> Not necessarily based on the abilities of the unit but which is your model
> of preference?
> ZX80(not a spectrum but yknow)
> ZX81(ditto)
> ZX Spectrum
> ZX Spectrum +
> ZX Spectrum 128
> ZX Spectrum +2
> ZX Spectrum +2a
> ZX Spectrum +3
> Sam Coupe(ditto, ditto)
>
> Mine's the ZX Spectrum 128

Speccy 48k with "greenish" keys - not the early light grey ones.
I've spent many a happy hour programming on that beastie. IMHO the rubber
keyboard can actually be faster than a conventional-style one, simply
because you can span far more keys with one hand.

Technically, I prefer the ZX81 simply because it gets such a lot out of
the relatively simple hardware.

The +3 is nice cos of the disk drive of course!

--
Mick
http://www.nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini information

0
mick57 (12)
2/19/2004 1:38:14 PM
SicCoyote wrote:
> Not necessarily based on the abilities of the unit but which is your model
> of preference?
> ZX80(not a spectrum but yknow)
> ZX81(ditto)
> ZX Spectrum
> ZX Spectrum +
> ZX Spectrum 128
> ZX Spectrum +2
> ZX Spectrum +2a
> ZX Spectrum +3
> Sam Coupe(ditto, ditto)

Has to be the good ol' rubber keys.

But I think the best Speccy was the original 128.

M.

0
Majik
2/19/2004 1:42:46 PM
> Has to be the good ol' rubber keys.
>
> But I think the best Speccy was the original 128.

Okay I'm going back, I can't resist the old rubber keyed guy, that was my
spectrum from 1985 till about 1994 and it's so nice to use and so cute.
sc

0
sc1 (97)
2/19/2004 1:59:19 PM
"SicCoyote" <sc@nospamtv13.co.uk> wrote in message news:<b7e7fc05c6e3cf25a38f63d256c0df73@news.teranews.com>...
> Not necessarily based on the abilities of the unit but which is your model
> of preference?
[snip]

> Mine's the ZX Spectrum 128

Mine table of preferrence is:

1st
ZX Spectrum 128 - original 128 was the best. I regarded +2 tape
recorder as pathetic - it hadn't even counter. +3 was too incompatible
with old sw.

2nd
ZX Spectrum 48k - it started all the Speccy hype. + keyboard was only
mockup of profi keyboard and lacked colourfull descriptions of key
tokens.

3rd ZX81 - plain ZX81 without any memory expansion was the first home
computer I had experience with. It was just positive shock to see
blinking K prompt on TV set and typing 10 PRINT "Hello world":GO TO 10
It opened a whole new world of programming satisfaction.

stanley
0
stano2000 (60)
2/19/2004 2:27:39 PM
> IMHO the rubber keyboard can actually be faster than a conventional-
> style one, simply because you can span far more keys with one hand.

Heh, LOL, even more so because you can span more keys with one FINGER :).
Even if it is accidental most of the time :+).

PeterV

0
peterv (74)
2/19/2004 3:00:23 PM
Mike Lee <mldl21624@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message news:<kRJYb.4146$IB3.3418@news-binary.blueyonder.co.uk>...
> Ahha I knew I seen it some where.....
>
> There are several models of the Spectrum +2 : the Spectrum +2 (grey
> case) which has a motherboard nearly identical to that of the 128

Er, no it doesn't. If you look at the two side by side you can see
Amstrad simplified the circuit considerably. The function is pretty
much the same though, they didn't start messing about with the RGB
until the +3. Similar misconception about the ROM. On the surface it
looks like they poked a few values, but in actual fact they recompiled
a new version of the 128 editor from scratch.

> Note that the first ROMs developed by Amstrad for the +2 model caused
> compatibility problems with the old Spectrum software, so they changed a
> few things in later ROMs.

Not so. The original +2 ROMs are as compatible as the Sinclair 128
ROMs. It was Sinclair that introduced the incompatibilities. Later
Amstrad ROMs are more incompatible, but that's due to the way +3 DOS
works.

> When Amstrad conceived the +2A/B and the +3 they redesigned the
> motherboard and made some internal changes on the bus. They also removed
> the keypad scanning routines of the Spectrum 128 and +2 (remember the
> keypad sold with the Spanish Spectrum 128k ?).

Not completely though. There are still traces of the routines in 48
Basic and possibly the 128 editor and syntax ROMs which carried over
all the bugs from previous versions.

IMHO the best 128 ROM is the original Spanish one.
0
aoweninoz (369)
2/19/2004 6:20:24 PM
Andrew Owen. Thursday. comp.sys.sinclair. Tch, eh?

> Not so. The original +2 ROMs are as compatible as the Sinclair 128
> ROMs. It was Sinclair that introduced the incompatibilities.

As someone whose copy of Elite stopped working when he upgraded to a 128,
I can confirm that. The bastards.

--
Duncan Snowden.

M RAMTOP no good, 1100:3
0
dss (1249)
2/20/2004 8:43:57 AM
SicCoyote. Wednesday. comp.sys.sinclair. Tch, eh?

> Not necessarily based on the abilities of the unit but which is your
> model of preference?
> ZX80(not a spectrum but yknow) ZX81(ditto)
> ZX Spectrum
> ZX Spectrum +
> ZX Spectrum 128
> ZX Spectrum +2
> ZX Spectrum +2a
> ZX Spectrum +3
> Sam Coupe(ditto, ditto)
>
> Mine's the ZX Spectrum 128

Pffffff... Okay, *totally* disregarding their relative capabilities,
probably the '81. Sinclair was all about finding really clever ways to do
stuff on the cheap, and it struck the perfect balance between usability
and simplicity - the Speccy was just a decadent descent into unnessecary
luxury.

But it's a close call with the Speccy 128 (just 'cos it's cool[1]). And I
suspect I'd rather like the SAM if I'd ever had the chance to use one.

[1] Metaphorically, if not physically.

--
Duncan Snowden.

N Statement lost, 1180:3
0
dss (1249)
2/20/2004 8:44:12 AM
On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 16:00:23 +0100, Peter de Vroomen wrote:

>> IMHO the rubber keyboard can actually be faster than a conventional-
>> style one, simply because you can span far more keys with one hand.
>
> Heh, LOL, even more so because you can span more keys with one FINGER :).
> Even if it is accidental most of the time :+).

well, there is that... It suits me though, I happen to be of the "bony"
variety with skinny fingers!

--
Mick
http://www.nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini information
Also at http://www.mixtel.co.uk where the collection started.
Currently deserting M$ for linux...  :-)

0
mick57 (12)
2/20/2004 12:00:20 PM
SicCoyote wrote:

> Not necessarily based on the abilities of the unit but which is your model
> of preference?

A man can never forget his first love, so I have to say the ZX81 will
probably remain my favourite.  I still love playing Mazogs on the '81 -
Maziacs be damned.

With that said, my +2 is the machine that gets used most.

Go figure.

--
Andrew
0
> well, there is that... It suits me though, I happen to be of the "bony"
> variety with skinny fingers!

Actually, me too. Everyone thought i'd become a surgeon, if only they could
get me away from that damn computer long enough :+).

PeterV

0
peterv (74)
2/23/2004 4:50:20 PM
Andrew <palpatine@evilFULLSTOPgeek.nz> wrote in message news:<sVQZb.26774$ws.3130444@news02.tsnz.net>...
> SicCoyote wrote:
>
> > Not necessarily based on the abilities of the unit but which is your model
> > of preference?

If we're talking original hardware I'd have to go with the Timex
Portugal TC2048.

Same size as an original Spectrum 48K but:
Plastic keys instead of rubber, built in Kempston joystick port,
hi-colour and hi-res screen modes, MMU permits expansion to 176K,
expansion disk system available with CP/M 2.2.

If we're talking modifed hardware then obviously the ZX Spectrum SE,
which is based on a TC2048 but adds compatibility with all Sinclair
models from ZX80 to Spectrum +2 (no Spectrum +3 emulation yet, but +2A
emulation may be possible at a push). Actually I wonder if it would be
possible to emulate other mono Z80 devices like the Amstrad NC100,
NC200 and the Cambridge Z88.
0
aoweninoz (369)

The UK World Of Spectrum and Como.sys.sinclair meet
Well, it had to happen sometime... Plans are afoot for a big meet next year for all specchums! Right now, voting is taking place for everyone's favourite place, day and time for the meet... http://www.hippykillers.gameguild.co.uk/meet/ So get voting! The page is there until New years eve. Get saving too! I feel that much alcyhol will be consumed! -- **************The Starglider*************** Public E-Mail. * http://www.starglider.dynu.com/radio * Ask for private * Starglider Radio - listen and enjoy! * address. * E-Mail:the_starglider2002@wibble.co.uk * _WW_ * CHANGE WIBBLE TO YAHOO TO REPLY * /_ _\ ******************************************* | O O | _____________________________________________________oOO_\/_OOo_____ And before anyone comments... yes I spelt "comp" wrong in the header! I've just woken up! -- **************The Starglider*************** Public E-Mail. * http://www.starglider.dynu.com/radio * Ask for private * Starglider Radio - listen and enjoy! * address. * E-Mail:the_starglider2002@wibble.co.uk * _WW_ * CHANGE WIBBLE TO YAHOO TO REPLY * /_ _\ ******************************************* | O O | _____________________________________________________oOO_\/_OOo_____ As an additional, don't vote for the month of January. It may be removed as it's soo close to xmas and money...

FA: Spectrum mags, Sinclair User and Your Sinclair.
Hi Please take a look: http://cgi6.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=x-frankie-x&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=50 At a start price of only �0.99 Bye. -- Michael Bruhn aka Frankie frankiex at domain webspeed.dk ...

Is Sinclair Spectrum dead ?
Despite of this newsgroup, I am asking : Is Sinclair ZX Spectrum dead ? B > Despite of this newsgroup, I am asking : > > Is Sinclair ZX Spectrum dead ? Despite of this question , here are Busy's Spectrums with his son Danko : The bottom picture. http://busy.host.sk/rodina/index.htm B In message <43936080$0$15794$14726298@news.sunsite.dk>, Bohus Kr�l <bohusk@host.sk> writes >Despite of this newsgroup, I am asking : > >Is Sinclair ZX Spectrum dead ? http://tinyurl.com/d2c6k Computer says "No". -- Geoff Wearmouth GOSH WONDERFUL BASIC ROM: http://www.wearmouth.demon.co.uk/zz/zz.htm ...

Why was the Sinclair Spectrum so successful ?
I don't understand : The Spectrum has ugly graphics that are worse than graphics of early-80s handhelds. The sound is so bad, it should be considered a WMD , because it can cause ear-cancer and AIDS. And the keyboard, oh yes, you cannot call it a keyboard.It's a joke!!! The RAM - 48K, come on, this was ok for the 70s, but not the 80s! The CPU - a lame Z80, oh no! Mass-storage on TAPES ? Come on, all the other computers had DISK drives, even the systems from the 70s like the Apple 2 or the ATARI 800. No sprites, no scrolling, no specials chips - come on, even the 70s computer from ATA...

Does the Queen have a Sinclair Spectrum ???
I heard that Queen Elizabeth II. has a Sinclair Spectrum and enjoys to play Manic Miner in Buckingham Palace, at night.Rumors say she is very good at soccer games, too, always beating Prince Charles and other royals. Is that true? And are other celebrities Spectrum users, too? On 5 Mar 2005 23:25:29 -0800, insane_pile@yahoo.co.nz (Paul Eisner) wrote: >I heard that Queen Elizabeth II. has a Sinclair Spectrum and enjoys to >play Manic Miner in Buckingham Palace, at night.Rumors say she is very >good at soccer games, too, always beating Prince Charles and other >royals. > >Is that true? And are other celebrities Spectrum users, too? Every month or so, using a fictitious name, this troll floods 5000 newsgroups (all cross-posted to a single low-traffic but unrelated newsgroup) with superficially relevant comments. The purpose is to disrupt with off-topic crosspostings. Like all trolls, he means to annoy and disrupt. The tracking newsgroup is the way he "keeps score" of how much damage he has caused. Don't put yourself on display in his trophy case. If you feel you have to respond to one of his posts, please don't crosspost to his tracking newsgroup. Like all trolls, the way to handle him is to IGNORE him. Take a few minutes of your time and check out the following score cards to see firsthand what this perverted troll is doing. I promise, you'll be amazed at just how active and perverted he is. You will see firsthand the troll&...

Unix for the Sinclair Spectrum?
Where can I find Unix for the Sinclair Spectrum on tape or microdrive cartridge ? On Wed, 17 Dec 2003, Adam Ben Nalois wrote: > Where can I find Unix for the Sinclair Spectrum on tape or microdrive cartridge ? UNIX for the Spectrum, called Spectrix, will be released on April 1st, 2004, by Sinclair Research. Apparantly, it's part of the 20th anniversary celebrations. OTOH, you might want to check out a BBC Micro with the Torch 68010 co-processor. It ran a version of UNIX, all those years ago. -- Rich Teer, SCNA, SCSA . * * . * .* . ...

Free Sinclair Spectrums!
They've done nothing wrong! Yeah, I see, well, joke circa 1984, ZX Computing? Brian -- Brian Gaff....Note, this account does not accept Bcc: email. graphics are great, but the blind can't hear them Email: briang1@blueyonder.co.uk ______________________________________________________________________________________________________________ "Nomen Nescio" <nobody@dizum.com> wrote in message news:4c222cf30f754ac839b5116a8e7c557d@dizum.com... > They've done nothing wrong! > Brian Gaff wrote: > Yeah, I see, well, joke circa 1984, ZX Computing? > > Brian > Bill posters will be prosecuted. Bill posters is inocent. -- Letts stop killing each other, letts all live in peace. To much pain, to much suffering. ...

The Sinclair Spectrum is rubbish!
The Brits are too stupid for building computers, cars or anything else... USA USA USA! -F.R. Ah school holidays have come early this year. Brian -- Brian Gaff....Note, this account does not accept Bcc: email. graphics are great, but the blind can't hear them Email: briang1@blueyonder.co.uk ______________________________________________________________________________________________________________ "ForeverRent" <hesacopontheedge@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:jphcvj$osd$1@speranza.aioe.org... > The Brits are too stupid for building computers, cars or anything else... > > USA USA USA! > > -F.R. > On Wed, 23 May 2012, ForeverRent wrote: > The Brits are too stupid for building computers, cars or anything else... > > USA USA USA! Outstanding. deKay -- Lofi Gaming - http://lofi-gaming.org.uk Gaming Diary - http://lofi-gaming.org.uk/diary Blog - http://lofi-gaming.org.uk/blog My computer runs at 3.5MHz and I'm proud of that Ignore the address-spoofing troll. Carry on. On Wed, 23 May 2012 03:02:42 +0200, ForeverRent wrote: (OK, I'l byte... troll scoring NG followup removed) > The Brits are too stupid for building computers, cars or anything else... > > USA USA USA! While the Americans did design the worlds best 8Bit home computer... (dons flameproof suit) ....why is it that nearly all the good games came from PAL land? And if it wernt for us brits building computers, the '...

Favourite Spectrum tunes.
Greetings folks, With regard to my last thread here "Echoes of the Spectrum", I would like to compile a top 10 of Spectrum music from games, AY and non-AY. The information I will need (if you can provide it with your vote) is: Game, Publisher/Software house, Musician, AY or "beeper", Year. Recent games may be released providing that they have been made available on real ZX-Media (ie, not just as a free download only) such as Rough Justice from Cronosoft. **Please email me your top 5 only (marked clearly in order) - Do not respond to this thread unless copying it to my email address** Include in your email why you've made your choices if you like. Closing date will be Moday 20th September 10am GMT. Many thanks! Regards, Shaun. "Shaun Bebbington" <shaun.bebbington@livepublishing.co.uk> escreveu na mensagem news:44a24a6c.0409140600.b4c53cb@posting.google.com... > Greetings folks, > > With regard to my last thread here "Echoes of the Spectrum", I would > like to compile a top 10 of Spectrum music from games, AY and non-AY. > The information I will need (if you can provide it with your vote) is: > > Game, > Publisher/Software house, > Musician, > AY or "beeper", > Year. > > Recent games may be released providing that they have been made > available on real ZX-Media (ie, not just as a free download only) such > as Rough Justice from Cronosoft. > > **Please email ...

the legacy of the Sinclair Spectrum
From the «8 bits should be good enough for anyone» department: Title: The legacy of Sinclair's Spectrum Author: Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2014 17:09:38 -0500 Link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-30333671#sa-ns_mchannel=rss&ns_source=PublicRSS20-sa How the Spectrum's creator changed the world In article <m6213b$mj1$1@solani.org>, RS Wood <rsw@therandymon.com> wrote: > From the «8 bits should be good enough for anyone» department: > Title: The legacy of Sinclair's Spectrum > Author: > Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2014 17:09:38 -0500 ...

For sale: games for Amstrad & Acorn BBC & Acorn Electron & Commodore 64 & Commodore Vic20 & Dragon 32 & Oric & Sinclair ZX81 & Sinclair ZX Spectrum (16k & 48k) & IBM PC (5.25" & 3.5" & CD)
I have many old games, on 5.25" & 3.5" & CD for PC and on tapes for Amstrad & Acorn BBC & Acorn Electron & Commodore 64 & Commodore Vic20 & Dragon 32 & Oric & Sinclair ZX81 & Sinclair ZX Spectrum (16k & 48k). I need to sell some of them. Would you like to buy any? I have bank accounts in the U.K.; the Republic of Ireland; Sweden; Germany; the Netherlands and Italy, so I can accept payment in a number of currencies and in a number of ways. I live at 2461 Via Tosco Romagnola, Titignano, 56023 Cascina (PI), Italy. Send me an email or a lett...

Running Java on a Sinclair Spectrum ???
Will it work or do I have to programm Linux for the Spectrum first ? "Oliver Wen" <eaten_arm@yahoo.ca> wrote in message news:1134788517.940977.227330@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... > Will it work or do I have to programm Linux for the Spectrum first ? > You won't get Java or Linux on the Spectrum I'm afraid, despite how cool that would actually be. Wolverine (Oliver Wen) trolled >Will it work or do I have to programm Linux for the Spectrum first ? You would be better off with this http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~sjv/macroturtles/TurtlesApplet.html Suggested Exercise: Try to draw a circle. -- Geoff Wearmouth http://anagram.istheshit.net/ W Marsh wrote: > "Oliver Wen" <eaten_arm@yahoo.ca> wrote in message > news:1134788517.940977.227330@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... > > Will it work or do I have to programm Linux for the Spectrum first ? > > > > You won't get Java or Linux on the Spectrum I'm afraid, despite how cool > that would actually be. You can run Unix on an MSX so there's no reason in theory why you couldn't port it to the Spectrum. Java on the other hand, would require a lot more RAM. The thing with computers is, they are all adding machines. You could emulate a modern PC on a Spectrum if you threw enough RAM at it. It would be mind-numbingly slow, and therefore not worth the effort, but it *is* possible. Oliver Wen <eaten_arm@yahoo.ca> did eloquently sc...

Keep using the Sinclair Spectrum
The resident troll has been saying that if we keep using the Sinclair Spectrum, we will all go to hell. I believe that is a very good endorsement, and will keep on using the Spectrum. Why? http://www.atheistalliance.org/aaw/Heavenstemperature.html -- pete [at] � W H E N B A C K E D I N T O A C O R N E R . . . horseshoe � "such a waste of space, such a small turd hanging on tightly to [hyphen] � the arsehole of humanity, that he just isn't worth spending any inn [dot] � time on." - Copyright infringer Nick Humphries talking about me. co [dot] uk� Peter Thomas <see-my-sig@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<mg6sn0l8vh847d538rhcgh0e2mjrt55n10@4ax.com>... > The resident troll has been saying that if we keep using the Sinclair > Spectrum, we will all go to hell. > > I believe that is a very good endorsement, and will keep on using the > Spectrum. Why? > > http://www.atheistalliance.org/aaw/Heavenstemperature.html I tried to become an atheist, but I couldn't. I just couldn't believe in it. ...

Misc Sinclair spectrum books
I have a few Sinclair related books which I am giving away. The listing includes 3 books but more may be added if I find them as I sort out. Full details over at AGTY :) http://www.anygoodtoyou.com/listing_detail.php?lid=100319 ...

The Sinclair Spectrum is rubbish
The Sinclair Spectrum is utter crap. Only 8 colors and no real sound, a rubber keyboard and no sprites. That's what I call crap. Discuss! Is it spring already? Or is the annual flamewar getting earlier? So what's up with that AmigaOS lawsuit? Zedex Dragon <cheveron@gmail.com> wrote: > Is it spring already? Or is the annual flamewar getting earlier? So > what's up with that AmigaOS lawsuit? This moron you replied to doesn't care about the traditions or people of these newsgroups. It's just a troll. Otherwise it would've posted to the thread it started ...

Most homosexual game for the Sinclair Spectrum?
X-No-Archive:yes I'm a gay gamer and I'm looking for the gayest Spectrum game ever made. Which Sinclair Spectrum game is truly homosexual? "Queer Sinclair" <queerSinclair@gaygamers.gay> wrote: > I'm a gay gamer and I'm looking for the gayest > Spectrum game ever made. > Which Sinclair Spectrum game is truly homosexual? Yeah, yeah, I know I shouldn't respond to this, but I just found out that typing "gay" into the World of Spectrum search box has amusing results. Eq. Paul E Collins wrote: > Yeah, yeah, I know I shouldn't respond to this, but I just found out > that typing "gay" into the World of Spectrum search box has amusing > results. Heh, first thing I tried as well. You can probably guess what I searched for to come up with this: http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseekid.cgi?id=0016007 On Apr 7, 2:07 am, "Queer Sinclair" <queerSincl...@gaygamers.gay> wrote: > X-No-Archive:yes AKA the "my posts aren't worth reading" header. Says it all, really. On Apr 7, 1:07 am, "Queer Sinclair" <queerSincl...@gaygamers.gay> wrote: > X-No-Archive:yes > > I'm a gay gamer and I'm looking for the gayest Spectrum game > ever made. > > Which Sinclair Spectrum game is truly homosexual? The one you write. -- I believe you have my stapler.... On Sat, 7 Apr 2007 Queer Sinclair wrote: >Which Sinclair Spectrum game is t...

Sinclair Spectrum vs. Abacus
I think the Abacus wins, more power, better graphics. On 19 Jun 2004 17:37:16 -0700, rest_ampere@yahoo.com (Ted Harvard) wrote: >I think the Abacus wins, more power, better graphics. Billy Goats Gruff always wins, actually. -- pete [at] � W H E N B A C K E D I N T O A C O R N E R . . . horseshoe � "such a waste of space, such a small turd hanging on tightly to [hyphen] � the arsehole of humanity, that he just isn't worth spending any inn [dot] � time on." - Copyright infringer Nick Humphries talking about me. co [dot] uk� "Ted Harvard" <rest_ampere@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:f89143b2.0406191637.193d025c@posting.google.com... > I think the Abacus wins, more power, better graphics. Troll vs Newbie Troll = ? > Troll vs Newbie Troll = ? Can somebody explain me what means "troll" in english ? Is it something like "trotl" in german ? B PLONK! "Ted Harvard" <rest_ampere@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:f89143b2.0406191637.193d025c@posting.google.com... > I think the Abacus wins, more power, better graphics. "Ted Harvard" <rest_ampere@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:f89143b2.0406191637.193d025c@posting.google.com... > I think the Abacus wins, more power, better graphics. I must admit that Codies' "Advanced Professional Abacus-based Counting Simulator" is fairly second rate on the speccy compared to the abacus version, which d...

How to cook and serve a Sinclair Spectrum?
X-No-Archive:yes Sacre Bleu! I'm a French chef and I want to cook un Spectrum a la haute cuisine. It's my piece de resistance. I want to cook le Spectrum, so that its meat will melt in your mouth. Mon dieu! Do you have any recipes for me? On Aug 17, 2:41 am, "Pierre Le Chef" <pierrelec...@hungryforspectrums.yum> wrote: > Sacre Bleu! I'm a French chef and I want to cook > un Spectrum a la haute cuisine. It's my piece de resistance. > > I want to cook le Spectrum, so that its meat will melt > in your mouth. > > Mon dieu! Do you have any recipes for me? Well the latest craze is to have them blanched. http://www.flickr.com/photos/9574086@N02/785746203/in/set-72157600607571866/ I serve mine with "Freedom Fries". Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose I met a French baker while I was in New Zealand. He was very good with bread and pastries etc, but he was more like the Swedish Chef with everything else. I think he managed to burn water. "OwenBot" <cheveron@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1187331837.216600.291680@19g2000hsx.googlegroups.com... >I met a French baker while I was in New Zealand. He was very good with > bread and pastries etc, but he was more like the Swedish Chef with > everything else. I think he managed to burn water. Does french cooking involve anything other than Bread and Pastries? Niall On Aug 17, 11:22 pm, "Niall Wallace" <bigbadwo...

What are the best games for the Sinclair Spectrum?
I'm starting a collection of classic computers and consoles and I want to buy a Spectrum and some of the best games. Which games are the best on the Spectrum? What a question that is. There are classics, there are well crafted, but its really a personal thing I'd imagine as it would be on other machines. I had a game that ran on the old Memotech mtx512 called Rolla Bearing which I thought was great when I could see, and yet I do not recall it ever being on other machines. Brian -- Brian Gaff....Note, this account does not accept Bcc: email. graphics are great, but the blind can't hear them Email: briang1@blueyonder.co.uk ______________________________________________________________________________________________________________ "Jasper Tiler" <slimier_trap@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1dd43d2b-cb74-42c6-bcfb-71bbaa006bba@n20g2000vba.googlegroups.com... > I'm starting a collection of classic computers and > consoles and I want to buy a Spectrum and some > of the best games. > > Which games are the best on the Spectrum? Probably the best thing to do is to go to the World of Spectrum (the best web site on the 'net, if you ask me!) at: worldofspectrum.org and read their best games lists, and the user voted lists, but sadly the site is down at the moment, though hopefully it will be back very soon (it's been hacked in the past, but is always back up again quickly). For the moment, go to: http://www....

Sinclair Spectrum in model rockets
I�ve build in a Sinclair board into one of my model rockets.The Spectrum board is small , weighs almost nothing and the system is simple and fast. Test launch will be this Saturday if the weather is ok. I also use a Spectrum as control system on the ground.If it�s succesful, we may see the Spectrum�s rebirth as system for rocket building. BTW. C64s are far to big and have useless custom chips for this experiment. Counting down, Adam Ben Nalois wrote: > Test launch will be this Saturday if the weather is ok. SPECCIES IN SPAAAAACCCCEEEEE!!!!!!!!!! [1] Hope it all goes well... Toodle-p...

About to buy my First Sinclair Spectrum!
Hi all, Just after some advice really. On eBay they are selling numerous types of Spectrums from the 16K model to the Spectrum +3. I quite fancy the look of the 128 myself and am ever so tempted to start bidding. (Never had a Spectrum, but would love to play the Hobbit on one!) But in your opinion, which would be the best Spectrum to purchase? I grew up with Commodore computers (Vic-20,CBM64,C16,Plus/4), so I have no idea which is the best Spectrum to go for - and what the going rate is. Any advice?? And has anyone else bought a Spectrum from eBay?? Cheers J Jerry Drake wrote: > Hi all, > > [SNIP] > > But in your opinion, which would be the best Spectrum to purchase? The original 128K is IMHO the best Spectrum. > Any advice?? eBay is going to be more expensive than going to a local flea market/Cash converters/Boot sale and picking one up from there. You should have no trouble locating a 48K and box of games for a tenner. You only have to look at the completed items on eBay to see what they go for on there. > And has anyone else bought a Spectrum from eBay?? Yeah, I got my issue 1 16K Speccy from eBay, paid a fairly high price too, but I'd trawled boot sales for one for long enough. M. Well, the point is, why you want it. If you want it to go a long time, then the grey +2 was, in my humble opinion, the most reliable Spectrum, though it is an Amstrad, so if you want a true Sinclair machine, then I'd go for either a + or 128. The...

The Sinclair Spectrum is the best, forget the rest
X-No-Archive: yes Our ancestors did worship the divine Spectrum millenia ago at Stonehenge. It's the ultimate Celtic artifact, Clive Sinclair was inspired by the gods to create this wonderful, divine machine. The C64, however, is just crap and for us, C64 users are sinners who must be converted to the Spectrum. If they don't want to believe in the Spectrum, well, then they have to be executed. The Sinclair Spectrum is the one and only computer! Believe in the power of the Spectrum or die! On Dec 30, 5:43=A0am, "Spectrum Priest" <SpectrumPri...@Divine.Spectrum> ...

80s Advert Sinclair ZX Spectrum+
http://rapidshare.de/files/1368661/80s_advert-Sinclair_ZX_Spectrum_.avi.html (".) Chaps, Not sure why rapidshare has thrown a wobbly with this clip forcing you to take up a Premium Account to download it!?!? Those pesky kids! This link appears to work fine!?! http://upload.by/FastShare/download.php?id=80s_advert_Sinclair_ZX_Spectrum_.avi (".) ...

Looking for a Sinclair ZX Spectrum +3
Is there anyone that has one for me of wants to swap for some of my other Sinclair items. I have no ZX80 unfortunately. Also looking for an MK14 calculator. ...

Web resources about - Which is your favourite Spectrum? - comp.sys.sinclair

Favourite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A favourite or favorite ( American English ), was the intimate companion of a ruler or other important person. In medieval and Early Modern Europe ...

Magazine Subscriptions from Future Publishing - My Favourite Magazines
MyFavouriteMagazines is Future Publishing s Official Store for magazine subscriptions, back issues, specials and merchandise. Subscriptions for ...

Kissy Sellout Favourites “The Squatters” Sign to 23rd Precinct Music!
The Squatters made waves big enough to cause a musical tsunami in 2011, headlining sellout events, supporting the legendary Fatboy Slim on his ...

What is your favourite Canadian business?
We&#39;re putting together a list of places where people love to spend money. Maybe it&#39;s a great bar or restaurant, or a retail store, a ...

ETA - view driving times in current traffic to your favourite locations on the App Store on iTunes
Get ETA - view driving times in current traffic to your favourite locations on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer ...

Flickr: Favourite bookshops
... 2010. This year we're starting off a group to add to pictures and locations to our bookshop database. So if you've got a picture of a favourite ...

Fringe Finale My favourite thing. Touching Loving Beautiful TV Moment. S05E13. - YouTube
Goodbye, Fringe. You were my favourite thing. My very favourite thing. Fringe Series Finale S05E13. Most Touching, Loving, Beautiful TV Moment ...

Celebrities' favourite books - The National
Film stars share their favourite literary choices in a special feature for M's Summer Reading Issue.

Bender is back! Belair’s favourite robot returned - AdelaideNow Search Search
GOOD news, everyone! Bender the robot — possibly the coolest letterbox in the Adelaide Hills — has been returned just days after being stolen. ...

Bendigo swap proves a favourite: Video, Photos
Bendigo National Swap Meet, one of the best.