"can't find boot device" for boot mirror.

Hi all,
I'm using Solaris DiskSuite to manage a boot mirror & a RAID.  This is
the first time I've ever set this up, & I'm having a hard time with the
boot mirror.

(I'm using this as a reference:
http://www.adminschoice.com/docs/solstice_disksuite.htm)

Where I'm getting screwed up is the "creating alternate name for
mirrored boot disk" step.

The doc says do this:

a.)  Find physical path name for the second boot disk

# ls -l /dev/rdsk/c1t3d0s0

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 55 Sep 12 11:19 /dev/rdsk/c1t3d0s0
->../../devices/sbus@1,f8000000/esp@1,200000/sd@3,0:a

b.) Create an alias for booting from disk2

ok> nvalias bootdisk2 /sbus@1,f8000000/esp@1,200000/sd@3,0:a

ok> boot bootdisk2

----
Here's what I get:
# ls -l /dev/rdsk/c0t8d0s0
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root          45 Oct 28 14:38
/dev/rdsk/c0t8d0s0 -> ../../devices/pci@1f,4000/scsi@3/sd@8,0:a,raw

init 0 to get to the boot prompt
nvalias bootdisk2 /pci@1f,4000/scsi@3/sd@8,0:a
boot bootdisk2

This boot command gives me a "can't find boot device" error.  The box
boots anyway (I assume off the main disk).

I've tried using "/pci@1f,4000/scsi@3/sd@8,0:a,raw" and
"/pci@1f,4000/scsi@3/sd@8,0" as aliases based on other formats I found
using the devalias command, but they all give me the same "can't find
boot device" error.

Any tips?

Thanks!
gabrielle

0
gorthx (1)
11/3/2005 12:03:17 AM
comp.sys.sun.admin 3739 articles. 0 followers. bozothedeathmachine16 (49) is leader. Post Follow

Read down a little bit:

     6.3.4  ) Making Mirrored disk bootable

     a.) # installboot /usr/platform/`uname -i`/lib/fs/ufs/bootblk
/dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s0

Did you do this part?

Erin P.

0
Erin
11/3/2005 5:39:27 PM
Er, read UP. Pfft.

0
Erin
11/3/2005 5:44:15 PM
Erin P. wrote:
>a.) # installboot /usr/platform/`uname -i`/lib/fs/ufs/bootblk /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s0

>Did you do this part?

Yes.

If I was going to back up & restart this, is that command (installboot)
a good point to do so, or should I just wipe the thing out & begin
again?

gabrielle

0
gabrielle
11/3/2005 10:25:10 PM
Is the boot path you are using the same as what shows up when you type
"show-disks" at the ok prompt?

0
jimleong