Can Only Print from Some CDE Applications #2

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

I am using Solaris 9 (sparc) and have an HP LaserJet 2100
TN that I print to over a home network.

I can print to it from the console using lpr with no problem.

However, in CDE I can print from only some applications:

Yes
---
Calendar
Image Viewer
Netscape

No
--
Address Manger
Help Viewer

In all cases (even when nothing prints out), after selecting the
'Print...' option from the 'File' menu, 'laserjet' is shown as the
destination printer, and when I click 'OK' in all cases a dialog box pops
up with: 'request id is laserjet-(some number here) (standard input)'

The same files that do not print from the 'Text Editor' application can be
printed from the console using lpr.

Here is how I configured the printer:
# lpadmin -p laserjet -v /dev/null -m netstandard -o dest=laserjet:text -o protocol=bsd -o banner=never -o timeout=60
Print services started.
# enable laserjet
printer "laserjet" now enabled
# accept laserjet
destination "laserjet" now accepting requests
# lpadmin -p laserjet -I any

In my environment LPDEST=laserjet

In 'Print Manager', 'laserjet' is visible and set as the default printer.

The only odd thing I see is 2 entries for 'laserjet' when I do a
'lpstat -a':

# lpstat -a
laserjet accepting requests since Wed Aug 18 23:27:05 EST 2004
laserjet accepting requests since Wed Aug 18 23:27:05 EST 2004

Any ideas?  I am sure I am missing something obvious.

Barry

0
Reply Barry 8/19/2004 6:38:54 AM

See related articles to this posting

comp.sys.sun.admin 3735 articles. 4 followers. Post

Can Only Print from Some CDE Applications
I am using Solaris 9 (sparc) and have an HP LaserJet 2100 TN that I print to over a home network. I can print to it from the console using lpr with no problem. However, in CDE I can print from only some applications: Yes --- Calendar Image Viewer Netscape No -- Address Manger Help Viewer Mailer Man Page Viewer Text Editor In all cases (even when nothing prints out), after selecting the 'Print...' option from the 'File' menu, 'laserjet' is shown as the destination printer, and when I click 'OK' in all cases a dialog box pops up with: 'request id is lase...

Can't print from win XP to 10.3, can print to 10.2
I'm troubleshooting a vexing print problem on my home network. I can print from my win XP machine to an hp 940c printer attached to my quicksilver G4 when it's booted to my auxilary 10.2.8 drive, but not when the Mac is booted to its default 10.3.9 drive. Printing from windows XP proceeds normally when booted to 10.2 on the Mac despite an error message claiming that the connection failed on the PC, but stalls with no error message when attempting to print to the Mac whille it's booted to the 10.3 drive. Both Mac drives have the gimp print drivers (4.2.5) installed. I've rep...

Printing 2^1, 2^2, 2^3, 2^4 and 2^5
Hi, When I use a while loop, the output is: 2 4 8 16 32, as desired: <?php $c=1; while($c<=5) { $d = newpow(2, $c); print "$d "; $c++; } function newpow($base, $power) { // statements... } ?> The But when I use a for loop, the output is: 64: <?php for($c=1; $c<=5; $c++); { $d = newpow(2, $c); print "$d "; } function newpow($base, $power) { // statements... } ?> Why is this?? Many thanks, Michael mejpark wrote: > When I use a while loop, the output is: 2 4 8 16 32, as desired: [...] > The But when I use a for loop, the output is: 64...

printing #2 #2
Hi, I would like to print results from web query written in php on printer(HP). The problem is that I need to exactly define margins for each variable to print (TAX forms etc.). I`m new at php. Please help! Marko wrote: > I would like to print results from web query written in php on printer(HP). > The problem is that I need to exactly define margins for each variable to > print (TAX forms etc.). I`m new at php. Please help! Do you mean that everytime someone visits your page, the printer connected to the server will print some data? -- --= my mail box only accepts =...

can't print to hp deskjet 855c from red hat 7.2 using dlink 713p print server
I'm a linux newbie trying to get my Red Hat 7.2 pc to print to my hp deskjet 855c using the print server function on the dlink 713p router. I'm able to print successfully if I remove the router and configure the 855c as a local printer. I'm also able to print successfully to the 855c through the router using Win98SE. Can someone tell me *exactly* how to successfully configure this printer using the GNOME printconf gui or some other technique? I assume "jetdirect" is the proper queue type. The ip address of my dlink 713p is 192.168.0.1. Many thanks, Tom "Tom Kopet&...

can't print to windows 98 machine being used as print server attached with USB port from XP machine on my home network #2
The home network i have setup up is using a windows 98 machine as a print server. i have two printers attached to it, one via the parallel port (LPT1) and the other via a USB port. I am running windows 98SE on the machine I am sharing the printers from and XP and 2000 on two other machines ont he network. I can see both printers via my network neighborhood but am unable to print to the printer attached to the USB port. The printer attached to the parallel port prints just fine both locally and via the network. the printer attached to the USB port is an Lexmark 1100 series the p...

Printing with KDE applications. #2
Readers, When i print with kde applications (kwrite, kmail, etc) i am missing the half of the first letter on the left side. This problem does not occur when i print with vim, pine, openoffice, xterm etc. Does anyone know what to do to reconfigure this properly? I'm using KDE 3.5.0 Kind regards, Peter -- http://k6.xs4all.nl mailto:peter@k6.xs4all.nl Peter Terpstra wrote: > When i print with kde applications (kwrite, kmail, etc) i am missing the > half of the first letter on the left side. Adjust the margins. -- Ruurd ..o. ...o ooo ...

only root can print #2
Hi all, I'm experiencing a weird problem here. I'm on solaris 9 and the print jobs are spooled local and then send to a hp jetdirect box. If I try to print as a normal user: $ banner hallo | lp -d hp5mis request id is hp5mis-7632 (standard input) The print job turns up in the lpstat -t command for a few seconds and then vanishes. I also can see the job in the /var/lp/logs/requests. It looks really like it was sent to the printer, but it wasn't. (Can't see anything with snoop) Also couldn't find anything in the /var/adm/messages. And, if I do the same as root, ev...

Treo 650 and Instep Print 2.2 printing problem.
Greets to all. Hope someone can help out. I am trying to troubleshoot a problem with a Treo 650 and Instep Print 2.2. I installed the Instep Print 2.2 trial version, am trying to print to a Pentax PocketJet 200 via Infrared, placing the Treo 650 and the infrared dongle on the Pentax PJ200 very close together; and encounter the following error message: An error was encountered while attempting to initialize the Printer object. Last error = 1. The error message is inconsistent. Sometimes a document will print. Most of the time I encounter the error message. On the same phone ...

New WIN98 installation of Scilab 2.5: PROBLEM: can't print to scilex from keyboard; can't change scilex background (using toolbar command)
hello and thank-you. i tried to put everything I have to say in the subject line! To amplify a little, I have just completed a new installation of scilab 2.5 on my ancient win98 operating system, on my toshiba tecra 8000 laptop. on starting scilab, i find i am able to run demos, and generally operate from the command line successfully. however as you will understand i wish to edit files, and when i try the editor (scilex) i find i am presented with a frame of black screen with a toolbar on which i can change the typeface but not the background, and i cannot put text into the edit...

Can print test page, can't print from Notepad
I just got an HP DeskJet 935C. I installed the driver and plugged it in. I was able to print a test page by pressing the button in the Printer properties. Note that I am saying that I pressed a button on the computer, and it sent a signal to the printer. I didn't just press a button on the printer. Maybe some printers have that feature. I want to make clear that the communication between the computer and the printer is working (so don't ask me to check that the cable is plugged in). I was not able to print from Notepad, Word or Command prompt (using echo x > lpt1)....

how can i write this statement labels=[1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;2;2;2;2;2;2;2;2;2;2;2;2;2;2;2;2;2;2;2;2;2;2;2;2;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;]; in compress fo
How to write it in compact form to avoid repetition "shah " <shahkhn3@gmail.com> wrote in message <lodugh$8hr$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>... > How to write it in compact form to avoid repetition You'll find in this thread different solutions for similar question http://www.mathworks.fr/matlabcentral/newsreader/view_thread/335814 Bruno ...

RH7.1: Switching libc.so.6 from 2.2.2 to 2.2.4 can't login now

Can't print at work, but can print at home.....HP 1300
I purchased a new, never opened HP 1300 took it to work, older large Automobile Service department, and I was not able to have the printer work. I mean being able to print a test page, w/o the printer ever touching a computer, and w/o the USB cable connected as well. I brought the printer back, got a new one, that I tested at Staples, with the same cartridge and papertray. It worked swell, test page every time. Well, I took it to work again, and again I was not able to print a test page. I was just trying to print one time, anything. Even from the computer and the USB cable connected, ...

Are there any wine applications that can print graphics?
.. Are there any wine applications that can print graphics? In the last few days, I have been able to get Pagemaker 7 to work fairly well via WINE (with a few tolerable glitches and deficiencies) .... and finally I am able to print documents with an extensive variety of different fonts. However, I cannot print any document that has any graphic image in it. I had the same problem with Paint Shop Pro 7 when it worked on a previous version of WINE (it no longer works on the most recent version of WINE). When it did work, I was not able to print anything. So, I just wonder if th...

Can't print ... from some applications only
Hello folks, I can't print to my HP LJ1100 from OpenOffice.org, Acrobat Reader 3 or Acrobat Reader 4. Jobs appear in the printer's window, but with a wee red circle with diagonal line through it in the icon, which does not look good. This has survived two reboots fo computer and printer. I can, however, print from IBM works, PMMail and Firefox. I find this puzzling. Any bright ideas? eCS 1.2, by the way. Ian -- Ian Johnston wrote: > Hello folks, > > I can't print to my HP LJ1100 from OpenOffice.org, Acrobat Reader 3 or > Acrobat Reader 4. J...

Kontact 1.0.2, KMail 1.7.2 (KDE 3.3.2 Mandriva 2005 LE) can't see my GPG key, but knode can use it

Re: 2 PL/I can (i.e. 2 x Fortran can't)
From: "David Frank" <dave_frank@hotmail.com>, Road Runner High Speed Online http://www.rr.com Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 04:47:07 GMT | | "William M. Klein" <wmklein@nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message news:Gg%2d.1586307$6p.267487@news.easynews.com... | > David, | > Have you yet provided an APPLICATION "need" that your code solves? In | > other words, what programming task REQUIRES that a new element be inserted | > into an existing array? For example, what does this "solve" that creating | > a new array with the new eleme...

I can not copy MS Combat Flight Sim 2 data disc (CAN YOU?) #2
> I just installed http://www.simviation.com/files/2cfs/Cfs2nocd.zip > into the Microsoft CFS2 directory; and now I don't need the 2nd > CFS2 disc at all for my kids to run the game. > > The wierd thing is that this cfs2nocd program is only 164Kbytes. Can it be > that Microsoft marketing is pulling the wool over our eyes? How can > it be in that 164 kbytes replaces the ENTIRE 2nd disc? Is it that this > second disk is actually nothing but a flimsy excuse to provide two disks > where the second disk does absolutely nothing but allow the installed > ...

Upgrading a 1.2.2 application to 1.4.2
Hello, I have a GUI application that was created several years ago with Java version 1.2.2 using the Visual Cafe IDE. I would like to upgrade it to version 1.4.2 and be able to use the Sun One Studio 5 IDE on it. I have built it using the new tools and it "almost" works. As far as the GUI goes, part of it is okay but some if it is out of whack, like oversized buttons and the like. I don't know if the non-GUI portion of it actually functions correctly. I have several questions: 1. Is there any documentation on what must be changed to move a 1.2.2 application to 1.4.2? 2. ...

[wxGTK 2.5.2]Print justified text #2
Hi, What can I do to print justified text ? I have many lines to print, an each line have fonts with variable size and I do not know if the text will fit in the line. Thank's for any help Mauro Cordon.�. -)----- --------------------------------------------------------------- mauro@scordon.com.br - mcordon@usa.com - mcordon@programmer.net Linux User #347961 ICQ ID #124551451 --------------------------------------------------------------- As palavras preenchem a falta de ideias. -- ___________________________________________________________ Sign-up fo...

Can't see print preview and can't print under Lexmark Z32!
Hi, I face a problem that my customer using lexmark z32 USB prot printer, clarion 5.5 can't generate print preview and can't to printer also. Does anybody face this problem before? How to solve this problem? TQ. Best Regards, Nelson ...

Tame/2 can't print
Loading Tame/2 now, after migrating to eCS, posts a warning message telling me that "prtgraph.dll can't be found". The DLL is actually there, along with Tame's other DLLs.which Tame/2 seems to have no difficulty in finding. There was also no difficulty in finding prtgraph.dll before the migration; why is there now? -- Stan Goodman, Qiryat Tiv'on, Israel Enjoying FUD-free Usenet at news.consultant.ca Ceteram, censeo Arafat esse delandam. To send me email, please replace the CAPITAL_LETTERS with "sig". Stan Goodman wrote: > Loading Tame/2 now, after mi...

Can i use my Airport to print wirelessly?????? #2
Hi all I recently bought an Aiport base unit and card. Just wondering if I can use them to print wirelessly with my HP Laser Printer? Thank M. Graham Michael Graham <mgrahm@trib.com> wrote: > Hi all > > I recently bought an Aiport base unit and card. Just wondering if I > can use them to print wirelessly with my HP Laser Printer? The rest of us are just wondering which model LaserJet and whether it has Ethernet or is it on this list <http://www.apple.com/airport/printcompatibility.html>. neillmassello@earthlink.net (Neill Massello) wrote in message news:<1g9...