Can Only Print from Some CDE Applications #2

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

I am using Solaris 9 (sparc) and have an HP LaserJet 2100
TN that I print to over a home network.

I can print to it from the console using lpr with no problem.

However, in CDE I can print from only some applications:

Yes
---
Calendar
Image Viewer
Netscape

No
--
Address Manger
Help Viewer

In all cases (even when nothing prints out), after selecting the
'Print...' option from the 'File' menu, 'laserjet' is shown as the
destination printer, and when I click 'OK' in all cases a dialog box pops
up with: 'request id is laserjet-(some number here) (standard input)'

The same files that do not print from the 'Text Editor' application can be
printed from the console using lpr.

Here is how I configured the printer:
# lpadmin -p laserjet -v /dev/null -m netstandard -o dest=laserjet:text -o protocol=bsd -o banner=never -o timeout=60
Print services started.
# enable laserjet
printer "laserjet" now enabled
# accept laserjet
destination "laserjet" now accepting requests
# lpadmin -p laserjet -I any

In my environment LPDEST=laserjet

In 'Print Manager', 'laserjet' is visible and set as the default printer.

The only odd thing I see is 2 entries for 'laserjet' when I do a
'lpstat -a':

# lpstat -a
laserjet accepting requests since Wed Aug 18 23:27:05 EST 2004
laserjet accepting requests since Wed Aug 18 23:27:05 EST 2004

Any ideas?  I am sure I am missing something obvious.

Barry

0
Reply Barry 8/19/2004 6:38:54 AM

See related articles to this posting

comp.sys.sun.admin 3735 articles. 4 followers. Post

Can Only Print from Some CDE Applications
I am using Solaris 9 (sparc) and have an HP LaserJet 2100 TN that I print to over a home network. I can print to it from the console using lpr with no problem. However, in CDE I can print from only some applications: Yes --- Calendar Image Viewer Netscape No -- Address Manger Help Viewer Mailer Man Page Viewer Text Editor In all cases (even when nothing prints out), after selecting the 'Print...' option from the 'File' menu, 'laserjet' is shown as the destination printer, and when I click 'OK' in all cases a dialog box pops up with: 'request id is lase...

Can't print from win XP to 10.3, can print to 10.2
I'm troubleshooting a vexing print problem on my home network. I can print from my win XP machine to an hp 940c printer attached to my quicksilver G4 when it's booted to my auxilary 10.2.8 drive, but not when the Mac is booted to its default 10.3.9 drive. Printing from windows XP proceeds normally when booted to 10.2 on the Mac despite an error message claiming that the connection failed on the PC, but stalls with no error message when attempting to print to the Mac whille it's booted to the 10.3 drive. Both Mac drives have the gimp print drivers (4.2.5) installed. I've rep...

can't print to hp deskjet 855c from red hat 7.2 using dlink 713p print server
I'm a linux newbie trying to get my Red Hat 7.2 pc to print to my hp deskjet 855c using the print server function on the dlink 713p router. I'm able to print successfully if I remove the router and configure the 855c as a local printer. I'm also able to print successfully to the 855c through the router using Win98SE. Can someone tell me *exactly* how to successfully configure this printer using the GNOME printconf gui or some other technique? I assume "jetdirect" is the proper queue type. The ip address of my dlink 713p is 192.168.0.1. Many thanks, Tom "Tom Kopet&...

can't print to windows 98 machine being used as print server attached with USB port from XP machine on my home network #2
The home network i have setup up is using a windows 98 machine as a print server. i have two printers attached to it, one via the parallel port (LPT1) and the other via a USB port. I am running windows 98SE on the machine I am sharing the printers from and XP and 2000 on two other machines ont he network. I can see both printers via my network neighborhood but am unable to print to the printer attached to the USB port. The printer attached to the parallel port prints just fine both locally and via the network. the printer attached to the USB port is an Lexmark 1100 series the p...

Printing with KDE applications. #2
Readers, When i print with kde applications (kwrite, kmail, etc) i am missing the half of the first letter on the left side. This problem does not occur when i print with vim, pine, openoffice, xterm etc. Does anyone know what to do to reconfigure this properly? I'm using KDE 3.5.0 Kind regards, Peter -- http://k6.xs4all.nl mailto:peter@k6.xs4all.nl Peter Terpstra wrote: > When i print with kde applications (kwrite, kmail, etc) i am missing the > half of the first letter on the left side. Adjust the margins. -- Ruurd ..o. ...o ooo ...

only root can print #2
Hi all, I'm experiencing a weird problem here. I'm on solaris 9 and the print jobs are spooled local and then send to a hp jetdirect box. If I try to print as a normal user: $ banner hallo | lp -d hp5mis request id is hp5mis-7632 (standard input) The print job turns up in the lpstat -t command for a few seconds and then vanishes. I also can see the job in the /var/lp/logs/requests. It looks really like it was sent to the printer, but it wasn't. (Can't see anything with snoop) Also couldn't find anything in the /var/adm/messages. And, if I do the same as root, ev...

New WIN98 installation of Scilab 2.5: PROBLEM: can't print to scilex from keyboard; can't change scilex background (using toolbar command)
hello and thank-you. i tried to put everything I have to say in the subject line! To amplify a little, I have just completed a new installation of scilab 2.5 on my ancient win98 operating system, on my toshiba tecra 8000 laptop. on starting scilab, i find i am able to run demos, and generally operate from the command line successfully. however as you will understand i wish to edit files, and when i try the editor (scilex) i find i am presented with a frame of black screen with a toolbar on which i can change the typeface but not the background, and i cannot put text into the edit...

Are there any wine applications that can print graphics?
.. Are there any wine applications that can print graphics? In the last few days, I have been able to get Pagemaker 7 to work fairly well via WINE (with a few tolerable glitches and deficiencies) .... and finally I am able to print documents with an extensive variety of different fonts. However, I cannot print any document that has any graphic image in it. I had the same problem with Paint Shop Pro 7 when it worked on a previous version of WINE (it no longer works on the most recent version of WINE). When it did work, I was not able to print anything. So, I just wonder if th...

Can't print ... from some applications only
Hello folks, I can't print to my HP LJ1100 from OpenOffice.org, Acrobat Reader 3 or Acrobat Reader 4. Jobs appear in the printer's window, but with a wee red circle with diagonal line through it in the icon, which does not look good. This has survived two reboots fo computer and printer. I can, however, print from IBM works, PMMail and Firefox. I find this puzzling. Any bright ideas? eCS 1.2, by the way. Ian -- Ian Johnston wrote: > Hello folks, > > I can't print to my HP LJ1100 from OpenOffice.org, Acrobat Reader 3 or > Acrobat Reader 4. J...

Tame/2 can't print
Loading Tame/2 now, after migrating to eCS, posts a warning message telling me that "prtgraph.dll can't be found". The DLL is actually there, along with Tame's other DLLs.which Tame/2 seems to have no difficulty in finding. There was also no difficulty in finding prtgraph.dll before the migration; why is there now? -- Stan Goodman, Qiryat Tiv'on, Israel Enjoying FUD-free Usenet at news.consultant.ca Ceteram, censeo Arafat esse delandam. To send me email, please replace the CAPITAL_LETTERS with "sig". Stan Goodman wrote: > Loading Tame/2 now, after mi...

Can i use my Airport to print wirelessly?????? #2
Hi all I recently bought an Aiport base unit and card. Just wondering if I can use them to print wirelessly with my HP Laser Printer? Thank M. Graham Michael Graham <mgrahm@trib.com> wrote: > Hi all > > I recently bought an Aiport base unit and card. Just wondering if I > can use them to print wirelessly with my HP Laser Printer? The rest of us are just wondering which model LaserJet and whether it has Ethernet or is it on this list <http://www.apple.com/airport/printcompatibility.html>. neillmassello@earthlink.net (Neill Massello) wrote in message news:<1g9...

Can you embed fonts into a built application #2
Hi, &nbsp;&nbsp; Sorry,&nbsp; Accidental post,&nbsp; anyway.&nbsp; I have a font on my build computer that I'd like to carry over to the target computers,&nbsp; is there a way to embed a font in a built LabVIEW executable. &nbsp; using: LV8.2 I believe you have to install it on the other computer as well, as the fonts are managed by the OS. There's a discussion <a href="http://www.msfn.org/board/How-to-install-a-font-via-the-command-li-t119612.html" target="_blank">here</a> about how to install fonts using the command line ...

Can 2 distributed BDB applications do synchronization ?
Hi, all I am wondering if 2 BDB applications which are on different hosts can do synchronization ( as slave and master ) in real time ? thanks in advance. -- Regards. I have got replication can do this, thanks. "William" <william@xxx.com> д����Ϣ����:e8da8c$4r4$1@news.yaako.com... > > Hi, all > I am wondering if 2 BDB applications which are on different hosts can > do synchronization ( as slave and master ) in real time ? > > thanks in advance. > > -- > Regards. > ...

Can't print over the network #2
I am using an old HP with an NetMos PCI parallel port for a print server on my network. Plugged into the HP's one standard parallel port is a HP laser printer. A Lexmark 3000 is plugged into the PCI card. Previously I had a HP 895cxi plugged into the PCI card and it worked fine. The Lexmark works fine locally but I get communication failures over the network. Anyone suggest how I can start trouble shooting this? Thx Froggie [This followup was posted to comp.periphs.printers and a copy was sent to the cited author.] In article <n_9xb.28001$uw5.14246@fe2.columbus...

How can i print Page number with text #2
I have very large output file and I can get a title from output file with text. but i cann't get a page number.. how can i get a page number with text.. ...

Can I plot graph and print R^2 ?
I have 150 files, all have 3 columns like this. 1e+09 , -1.20575, 3.34943e-14 1.00562e+09 , -1.23322, 3.40657e-14 1.01125e+09 , -1.2511, 3.43675e-14 1.01688e+09 , -1.26483, 3.45526e-14 1.0225e+09 , -1.28815, 3.4996e-14 1.02812e+09 , -1.30188, 3.51756e-14 The first is a frequency in Hz, and the 3rd is a capacitance in Farads. Each of the 150 files are the same format, but measured under different on a vector network analyzer. The capacitance is frequency dependent. What I want to do is fit a 3rd order polynomial to the capacitance, so I find the frequency dependent c...

2 Weeks and I STILL Can't Print!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
_____>>>>Frustration Mode On<<<<______ So what is wrong with suse 9.1? I can print fine with Gentoo. I had Mandrake on the same computer and was able to print from it. So WTF is wrong with Suse 9.1? I have an Brother printer connected to the USB port of one computer running Suse 9.1. I have CUPS and Cups server installed installed and the printer prints fine from the local computer. I also have Samba and Samba Server installed. I used SWAT and set up users and passwords. I can see the groups/users/profiles folders using Network Browsing. I can ping/trace Route all ...

Sony Notebook, can't print. #2
I have a Sony VGNA290 notebook(17 inch), running XP Home SP2 attached to the docking station. When I try to print a test page, it gets an error and won't print. I tried different parralell cable and it still won't work. I can print to another networked printer but not to my local printer. The printer is a HP 970 Deskjet. Also when I boot up the machine, the printer seems to be talking to the notebook. It does the initial boot sequence. I haven't found anything in google, sony or msdn that would point to the problem. Any ideas on what to do? Thanks Dwight My 970 has a USB port...

Can SCO Unix application run on Linux? #2
I have some applications run on OpenServer5.x. Unfortunately, i have no source so i cant recompile it. is it possible to migration to the Linux? solution? limitation? ...

How can I avoid DNS lookups when printing from KDE applications?
Hi everybody, I've just installed SuSE 8.2. Before I had SuSE 7.2. I changed the printer configuration from LPD to CUPS, which is running fine with one exception: Whenever I click on print in a KDE application such as Kwrite, the machine starts an ISDN connection to my provider to lookup the IP address of my host, using the name 'obra.cetz.de'. I definitely want to stop this behavior. My local hostname is obra.cetz.de. I'm using a small internal network with masquerading to the internet. I need some help to avoid these lookups. The entries in files which seem relevant to ar...

Tutorial: Mobile Application Development: Can I do it? (Part 2)
I wrote a little tutorial covering subject of J2ME application development. In the Part 2 of the article series I focus on creating a very basic game engine. I think it could be very interesting for beginners. The part 2 can be found here: http://bialoglowy.blogspot.com/2006/01/mobile-application-development-can-i_14.html Comments on the article most welcome. Regards, Marek Bialoglowy On 21 Jan 2006 06:00:39 -0800, bialoglowy@gmail.com wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said : >http://bialoglowy.blogspot.com/2006/01/mobile-application-development-can-i_14.html the link t...

How can I get colors to print accurately from Indesign CS 2
How can I get colors to print accurately from Indesign CS 2? I can get colors to print accurately from Photoshop CS 2, Quarkxpress 4.1 in Classic and PDFs that I make from Indesign CS 2, but the printer driver in CS 2 is complex. For example, in File > Print > Color Management, it asks for my printer profile, but I don't know what profile to choose. There's no profile on the Epson Web site for the Epson Photo Quality Inkjet paper that I'm using in my Epson Stylus Photo 2200 inkjet printer. (There's a profile for Photo Quality Inkjet paper for Epson 1270 printers, ...

Can I get current output from the same point for 2 different applications?
I'm using NI DAQ 6024E and CB-68LP as a connector block.One of my program gives output at pins 55(AO Gnd) & 21(DAC 1 OUT) and the other at pins 54(AO Gnd) & 22(DAC 0 OUT).I want to merge both the outputs at pins 55 & 21 so that when I run any of the programs, I get output at the same pins.What configurations do I need to make for the above changes? You could either revise one of your VIs to use the other output pin, or you could use diodes to combine the two pins. The diodes are for isolation between the two outputs. If output is positive, connect diodes, anode end, to each ...

How can you avoid the hard returns when you print from Eudora 6.2
Sometimes I want to print a message after I have send it. So I open the message in the Out box and click on print. When the text comes out of the printer it has a lot of hard returns where they shouldn't be. Is there a way to avoid this? A setting I should change? I hope somebody can help. TIA chieleman chieleman vlaflip31-nieuwsgroepREMOVE@THISyahoo.com chieleman <vlaflip31-nieuwsgroepREMOVETHIS@removethisyahoo.com> wrote: > Sometimes I want to print a message after I have send it. So I open > the message in the Out box and click on print. When the te...