Formatting USB disk as UFS

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Got a 500Gb USB disk that I want to format as UFS (Cant use FAT32
because I want to put a large 18Gb file on there).

Plugged in and did rmformat and it seems to be recognise. How do I
format and mount as a filesystem?
0
Reply BertieBigBollox (163) 10/8/2009 9:05:48 AM

See related articles to this posting

BertieBigBollox@gmail.com wrote:
> Got a 500Gb USB disk that I want to format as UFS (Cant use FAT32
> because I want to put a large 18Gb file on there).
>
> Plugged in and did rmformat and it seems to be recognise. How do I
> format and mount as a filesystem?

Why not use ZFS?

zpool create <pool name> <device>

--
Ian Collins
0

On Thu, 8 Oct 2009 02:05:48 -0700 (PDT)
"BertieBigBollox@gmail.com" <bertiebigbollox@gmail.com> wrote:

> Plugged in and did rmformat and it seems to be recognise. How do I
> format and mount as a filesystem?

There's no difference (logically speaking) between a USB disk and a
SCSI, SATA, SAS or FC/AL disk. Use the "format" command to partition the
disk and then create a UFS file system using "newfs".

--
Stefaan A Eeckels
--

BertieBigBollox@gmail.com wrote:
> Got a 500Gb USB disk that I want to format as UFS (Cant use FAT32
> because I want to put a large 18Gb file on there).
>
> Plugged in and did rmformat and it seems to be recognise. How do I
> format and mount as a filesystem?

I recently purchased USB ide/sata 3.5" drive caddy and inserted a 1TB
Hitachi SATA drive and formatted using UFS. I thought about using ZFS
but decided not to at this stage.

The process formatting the drive for UFS is very convoluted

1. The drive is detected so that it appears in rmformat -l

2. Create a Solaris partition on the disk (change /vol reference)

   # fdisk /vol/dev/rdsk/c5t0d0/unknown_format

3. Unplug/plug the USB drive

4. Get the drive details

  # fdisk -W -  /vol/dev/aliases/rmdisk0

* /vol/dev/aliases/rmdisk0 default fdisk table
* Dimensions:
*    512 bytes/sector
*    126 sectors/track
*    255 tracks/cylinder
*   60800 cylinders
*
* systid:
*    1: DOSOS12
*    2: PCIXOS
*    4: DOSOS16
*    5: EXTDOS
*    6: DOSBIG
*    7: FDISK_IFS
*    8: FDISK_AIXBOOT
*    9: FDISK_AIXDATA
*   10: FDISK_0S2BOOT
*   11: FDISK_WINDOWS
*   12: FDISK_EXT_WIN
*   14: FDISK_FAT95
*   15: FDISK_EXTLBA
*   18: DIAGPART
*   65: FDISK_LINUX
*   82: FDISK_CPM
*   86: DOSDATA
*   98: OTHEROS
*   99: UNIXOS
*  101: FDISK_NOVELL3
*  119: FDISK_QNX4
*  120: FDISK_QNX42
*  121: FDISK_QNX43
*  130: SUNIXOS
*  131: FDISK_LINUXNAT
*  134: FDISK_NTFSVOL1
*  135: FDISK_NTFSVOL2
*  165: FDISK_BSD
*  167: FDISK_NEXTSTEP
*  183: FDISK_BSDIFS
*  184: FDISK_BSDISWAP
*  190: X86BOOT
*  191: SUNIXOS2
*  238: EFI_PMBR
*  239: EFI_FS
*

* Id    Act  Bhead  Bsect  Bcyl    Ehead  Esect  Ecyl    Rsect    Numsect
  191   128  0      1      2       254    63     1023    32130    1953471870

5. Multiple ( Numsect * Bytes per Sector )/ (1024*1024) to get partition
0 and 2 size (100% of drive)

   ( 1953471870 * 512 )/ 1048576 = 953843MB

6. Create a partition file disk_slice.txt  for rmformat

    slices: 0 = 0, 953843MB, "wm", "unassigned" :
      1 = 0, 0MB, "wu", "unassigned" :
      2 = 0, 953843MB, "wm", "backup"

7. Write ufs partition information to Solaris drive partition

   # rmformat -s disk_slice.txt /vol/dev/aliases/rmdisk0

8. UFS format drive

  # newfs /vol/dev/aliases/rmdisk0

9. Drive is automatically mounted as unamed_rmdisk

0
Reply solx 10/12/2009 11:43:26 AM

solx wrote:
> [...]
> *  191: SUNIXOS2
> *  238: EFI_PMBR
> *  239: EFI_FS
> *
>
> * Id    Act  Bhead  Bsect  Bcyl    Ehead  Esect  Ecyl    Rsect    Numsect
>  191   128  0      1      2       254    63     1023    32130    1953471870
>
> 5. Multiple ( Numsect * Bytes per Sector )/ (1024*1024) to get partition
> 0 and 2 size (100% of drive)
>
>   ( 1953471870 * 512 )/ 1048576 = 953843MB
>
> 6. Create a partition file disk_slice.txt  for rmformat
>
>    slices: 0 = 0, 953843MB, "wm", "unassigned" :
>      1 = 0, 0MB, "wu", "unassigned" :
>      2 = 0, 953843MB, "wm", "backup"
>
> 7. Write ufs partition information to Solaris drive partition
>
>   # rmformat -s disk_slice.txt /vol/dev/aliases/rmdisk0
>
> 8. UFS format drive
>
>  # newfs /vol/dev/aliases/rmdisk0
>
> 9. Drive is automatically mounted as unamed_rmdisk

If you shutdown to single user mode

# shutdown -iS -g0 -y

then plug in your USB drive, run

# rmformat -l

to identify the drive and its device reference, which can be used to
mount the drive

# mount -F ufs /dev/dsk/c3t0d0s0 /usbdrive

you can then ufsdump

# ufsdump 0bf 64 /usbdrive/ufsdump.YYYYMMDD  /

ufsdump output, I found that 540GB takes around six hours

# umount /usbdrive

0
Reply solx 10/17/2009 6:41:08 PM
comp.sys.sun.admin 3733 articles. 4 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

problem with usb flash disk. format usb flash disk?
Hello I have a usb flash disk and I can't write on it. I have mounted it with "mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda" (as root). After that I can see the files, but can't write new files on it. I use RedHat 8.0. The KDE Controlcenter says that there ist 132.3 MB free diskspace of 128 MB. (?) How can I fix this problem? Format it? How can I format it? Thanks tobi On Fri, 7 Nov 2003, Tobias Portmann wrote: > Hello > > I have a usb flash disk and I can't write on it. I have mounted it with > "mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda" (as root). After that I can see the fi...

USB bootable maker: Diff between "HP Drive Key Boot Utility" and "HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool"?
As far as I found out there two different tools for making an USB stick bootable: "HP Drive Key Boot Utility" and "HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool" What is the difference between them? J. On 20 Apr 2009 09:54:57 GMT, jjstacy@yahoo.net (Jason Stacy) wrote: >As far as I found out there two different tools for making an USB stick bootable: > >"HP Drive Key Boot Utility" > >and > >"HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool" > >What is the difference between them? > >J. "HP Drive Key Boot Utilit...

format usb 2 disk
I'm having problem to format an external disk with UBB 2 interface. I'm using the indication found on http://padraigs.blogspot.com/2007/03/creating-ufs-file-system-on-external.html but after this command: # rmformat -s disk_slices.txt /vol/dev/aliases/rmdisk0 I get this error Slice 0 does not start on cylinder boundary Cylinder size 16065 512 byte sectors on file disk_slices.txt is written: slices: 0 = 2MB, 238461MB, "wm", "root" : 1 = 0, 1MB, "wu", "boot" : 2 = 0, 238463MB, "wm", "backup" Do You have any...

Mounting/formatting half of USB disk
Got a 500Gb removable usb drive that I want to use half as a windows disk and half as a Solaris disk. I can quite easily format 250Gb as NTFS leaving 250Gb. I could format this as FAT32 and access this from Solaris but then I'd be stuck at 4Gb max file size which is no good because I want to backup a flar to it. Can I format this from Solaris as NFS without destroying the original NTFS partition? In alt.solaris.x86 BertieBigBollox@gmail.com <bertiebigbollox@gmail.com> wrote: > Can I format this from Solaris as NFS without destroying the original > NTFS partition? I'm as...

how to format a Maxtor XT5000 USB Disk
First thanks to all who reply. I need help. I have a Sun Blade 100 runnung Solaris 9. I have a Maxtor XT5000 250 GB disk. The system can see the drive. It shows entries in the /var/adm/messages file but when i run format it does not show in the list. What am i not doing correctly here? Thanks Telford White wrote: > First thanks to all who reply. I need help. I have a Sun Blade 100 > runnung Solaris 9. I have a Maxtor XT5000 250 GB disk. The system can > see the drive. It shows entries in the /var/adm/messages file but when i > run format it does not show in the li...

Maxtor USB disk drive; any downsides for formatting NTFS?
I have a 250MB Maxtor One-Touch (250BG) and it's being repurposed. It came from the factory as FAT32 and it ws never reformatted. CHKDSK says it's fine. It's used as a backup device with PC softare that chuncks up data 2GB at a time. I would prefer to use NTFS and single big files as savesets but want a consensus of opinion about the change. I like NTFS becuase it is damn robust and the cases where, in my experience, data has been lost due to NTFS when the hardware was OK can be counted on one finger. I use NTFS whenever possible and have done so on a few thous...

Mounting a USB disk formatted with NTFS/FAT32 on OS X
Mounting a USB disk formatted with NTFS/FAT32 on OS X I would like to mount an external USB disk formatted with NTFS on my OS X 10.4.9 powerbook Disk Utility sees the drive but doesnt recognise its format On May 3, 9:14 am, pokhara <sam1967pay...@googlemail.com> wrote: > Mounting a USB disk formatted with NTFS/FAT32 on OS X > > I would like to mount an external USB disk formatted with NTFS on my > OS X 10.4.9 powerbook > > Disk Utility sees the drive but doesnt recognise its format let me clarify its an IDE disk I am trying to mount via my USB port disk utility s...

SN#18229 How to Format USB Disks in Solaris[TM] Operating System
SYSTEM NEWS FOR SUN USERS Vol 112 Issue 2 2007-06-11 Article 18229 from section "SysAdmin's Section" Brief Tip Sun blogger Eric Shobe posted a how-to article on his site that explains how to format USB disks in the Solaris[TM] Operating System (Solaris OS). Details at http://sun.systemnews.com/g?A=18229 Have a custom version of 'System News for Sun Users' delivered to you via email each week in PDF, text or HTML. Only the sections that you select will be included in your copy of the news magazine. Subscribe at http://sun.system...

sun v120, usb ports seen at boot but attached disks don't show up on format -e
I hooked up a usb stick to the port, did a reconfig boot. the usb stick(s) and hub show up on the verbose boot and also in the cfgadm -al output. But I can't get to the mem. stick from format -e to use it. It was working at one point. I'm not sure what changed. I actually put the memory stick under veritas control, just for fun. I was going to use this as a way to learn some veritas basics Any trouble shooting tips would be appreciated. TIA /markt On Jul 28, 8:00 pm, matusi <yuid4mat...@yahoo.com> wrote: > I hooked up a usb stick to the port, did a reconfig boot. > ...

Which BIOS function can read/writes USB solid disk? How BIOS boot USB disk?
.. On Dec 27, 9:49=A0pm, dick <dick_12345...@hotmail.com> wrote: > . >Which BIOS function can read/writes USB solid disk? How BIOS boot USB disk= ? Please always include your question in the body of the message on Usenet. If the PC's BIOS supports it (and I assume we're talking about a traditional PC, and a traditional - aka non-EFI - BIOS here), then the USB disk (which might, after all be a real rotating disk too) will be accessible through the usual Int 13h functions. And it boots the same way. On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 15:23:54 -0800 (PST), "robertwessel2@yahoo.co...

Formatting disks in MS-DOS format under Panther
Gang, G5/1.6 with 10.3.1 I have a PC-formatted Zip disk that's getting a little flakey. I was able to run Disk Utility/First Aid on it, although it didn't identify any specific problems or repairs. I was curious as to whether I could re-format it and start with a clean disk (after backing up my data) but the menu options no longer include MS-DOS format. Can I use the Unix option if I want to be able to read this disk on Windoze machines? Or am I out of luck (the Iomega tools don't run under Classic)? thanks _d I had a similar problem under, except that it was Jaguar a...

How to know which USB port that USB disk insert ?
There are many USB port on PC. When I insert a USB disk to USB port how can I know which the USB port had inserted ? Thanks. > When I insert a USB disk to USB port how can I know which the USB > port had inserted ? "cat /proc/bus/usb/devices" lists all devices (with serial number of the device if appropriate), the associated ports, speed, vendor and product numbers, power consumption, etc. -- On Mon, 2009-02-09 at 00:36 -0800, michtw@gmail.com wrote: > There are many USB port on PC. > When I insert a USB disk to USB port how can I know which the USB > port had ...

notebook disk mirroring with external USB disk
Hi, I would like to mirror the full contents of my 160 GB notebook SATA disk (/dev/sda) on an external USB hard disk of equal size (160 GB, say /dev/sdb). For all that matters, my system is a dual-boot Linux-Windows system, with 3 partitions, 2 NTFS partitions and one ext3 partition. What would be the appropriate way to do it? Would dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb work? More importantly, in case my notebook disk got replaced with a new one, how would I retrieve the full contents of my old disk from the USB external disk to the new one? Shouldn't I be able to somehow boot from the USB disk and...

problem with formatting proprietry floppy disk format
Hi, I'm trying to format a floppy disk using biosdisk. The disk format is for the Ensoniq EPS keyboard (irrelevant, but helps to have an idea of what I'm trying to do). I have setup all the sector information code, which looks fine when I write it to a binary image file. However, when I use biosdisk to write the disk sectors directly, it doesn't work (I mean that it actually writes something to the disk, although neither DOS or the keyboard can read it). Note, my program will only work if the floppy disk is already formatted with the EPS format - sort of like a quick form...

Floppy disk format program leaves unusable disks
Hi, I was trying to post this group using Thunderbird and SeaMonkey (latest versions on Windows 7) when I kept getting an error message. I'm not sure if that's related to the newsgroup or my network connection to it or what..anyways... I am currently trying to write an x86 assembly program with NASM which will format a 1.44MB floppy disk. I haven't done much asm programming before. At this stage I am attempting to write low level format information to the diskette in preparation and thereafter begin writing code to write a FAT filesystem to the diskette. Unfortunately I am havi...

Restoring a Mac-formatted disk that was re-formatted on a PC
Hi, A friend who's not too familiar with Macintosh inserted a Macintosh-formatted disk into a PC, and got a message that the disk needed to be formatted since it was unreadable. Not realizing that formatting doesn't simply "convert" the disk so that it's readable on a PC (while retaining the Macintosh content), he clicked Yes and formatted the disk. I'm not sure how comprehensive a floppy formatting is, whether it's just deleting the pointers or actually renders the original file content unreadable. I realize that file restore will be difficult and/or expensiv...

How can I fetch Disk-ID from a disk connected with USB?
I need to know the exactly LBA size of a disk connected with USB. I have tried it with IOCTL_DISK_GET_DRIVE_GEOMETRY_EX and some others like it, but sometimes it does not fetch the exactly LBA size of the disk and sometimes it does not works. Finally I tried with the source code like below. http://www.winsim.com/diskid32/diskid32.cpp However it only support IDE-connected disk but not USB. I have spend a whole day with it but it still does not work :( The below is a part of the source code. // Compute the drive number. pSCIP -> irDriveRegs.bDriveHeadReg = 0xA0 ...

Disk formating?
Hi, A couple of days ago I rather stupidly agreed to look at the floppy driver code in ReactOS, with a few to tweaking it so that it could support 'alien' formats such as Arc style discs. Thus: I was wondering how on the Archimedies (and earlier BBC systems) the so called Gap1 is varied with respect to floppy discs, as on PC systems this would appear to be fixed by the Format commands used by the FDC chip concerned. Unfortunatly the gap lengths gioven by the Watford Advanced Reference Manual and the PRM don't seem to possible on a PC style controller.. In additonaly what are th...

How do you format a disk?
How would you format/slice/newfs/mount a disk on Linux. ? currently im running Red Hat 8 on Intel. On Sun Solaris I ll normally attached the disk run devfsadm, format -partition-label newfs the slice, and then mount whatever directory I would like to use. Thanks Tony Mejia On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 00:48:39 GMT, Tony Mejia Rosario staggered into the Black Sun and said: > How would you format/slice/newfs/mount a disk on Linux. ? currently > im running Red Hat 8 on Intel. > On Sun Solaris I ll normally attached the disk run devfsadm, format > -partition-label newfs the slice, and the...

Disk Format
What does OS X do exactly when you format a disk with HFS+? In article <030120042303532119%jcarucci@yahoo.com>, Jason Carucci <jcarucci@yahoo.com> wrote: > What does OS X do exactly when you format a disk with HFS+? It writes a HFS+ filesystem structure on the disk in the partition you specify. Duh... What are you trying to understand or don't understand--the process of disk formatting and filesystem creation or something else? -- DeeDee, don't press that button! DeeDee! NO! Dee... I guess my real question is how does a HFS+ formatted disk differ from an...

Formated disk
Hi, I am writing to ask what I can do if I want to use my linux in my computer again. I had installed it --> RedHat before. In the past, I can choose to boot with windowsXP or Linux, However, after format the harddisk and re-installed WindowXP, I cannot choose the OS when boot my machine. Someone tell me that the partition for linux cannot be format by me in that way, that means my linux should be still in that partition. How can I re-use it and make it can be choose when I boot my computer?? Thank you very much! Xavier On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 01:22:13 +0800, DragonFire wr...

format disk
Hi! Is there any way to format floppy or harddisk? Thanks John wrote: > Is there any way to format floppy or harddisk? Depends on exactly what you mean by "format". DOS/Windows traditionally has confused two things: formatting -- which is laying down a logical "marking" on a disk which a system can use to guide itself in moving the drive heads. (This is also sometimes called a "low-level format"). For floppies, this needs to be done. For modern hard drives, it's done at the factory, and you shouldn't need to do it again unle...

usb flash drive,usb flash disk manufacturer/wholesaler/distributor
Hi!Guys, This is CELINE from Gotop Industrial Ltd.which is professional manufacturers for usb flash drives located at Shenzhen city,China.Know more about our factory,please visit our website: www.gotopgifts.com. If you have shop & like to import the usb flash drives,please contact with us.Wish to make some deal with you. Thanks, Celine GOTOP INDUSTRIAL LTD. Tel: 0086-755-2819 2285 Fax: 0086-755-2809 6257 Mobile: 0086-13714436217 E-mail: sales@gotopgifts.com MSN: salesgotop@hotmail.com & celine_chen32@hotmail.com SKYPE: salesgotop,celine885 WEBSITE: www.got...

USB 3.0 slow with some USB 3.0 hard disks
I'm using Windows XP 32-bit Home with NEC/Renesas USB 3.0 PCI-E cards equipped with the uPD702000A chip. I'm getting about 90 megabytes/sec sustained transfers with USB 3.0 enclosures based on a Genesis chip but only 35 MB/s with Seagate GoFlex drives. This is with both nVidia GeForce 6100 and Intel ICH5 motherboards. It doesn't matter whether I use the newest NEC driver or the one included with the Seagate GoFlex. I've had no luck updating the NEC firmware because at the start the updater software gives an error message: W200FWUP.EXE - Entry Point Not Fou...