Formatting USB disk as UFS

Got a 500Gb USB disk that I want to format as UFS (Cant use FAT32
because I want to put a large 18Gb file on there).

Plugged in and did rmformat and it seems to be recognise. How do I
format and mount as a filesystem?
comp.sys.sun.admin 3736 articles. 0 followers. bozothedeathmachine16 (49) is leader. Post Follow

BertieBigBollox@gmail.com wrote:
> Got a 500Gb USB disk that I want to format as UFS (Cant use FAT32
> because I want to put a large 18Gb file on there).
>
> Plugged in and did rmformat and it seems to be recognise. How do I
> format and mount as a filesystem?

Why not use ZFS?

zpool create <pool name> <device>

--
Ian Collins
0
"BertieBigBollox@gmail.com" <bertiebigbollox@gmail.com> wrote:

> Plugged in and did rmformat and it seems to be recognise. How do I
> format and mount as a filesystem?

There's no difference (logically speaking) between a USB disk and a
SCSI, SATA, SAS or FC/AL disk. Use the "format" command to partition the
disk and then create a UFS file system using "newfs".

--
Stefaan A Eeckels
--
BertieBigBollox@gmail.com wrote:
> Got a 500Gb USB disk that I want to format as UFS (Cant use FAT32
> because I want to put a large 18Gb file on there).
>
> Plugged in and did rmformat and it seems to be recognise. How do I
> format and mount as a filesystem?

I recently purchased USB ide/sata 3.5" drive caddy and inserted a 1TB
Hitachi SATA drive and formatted using UFS. I thought about using ZFS
but decided not to at this stage.

The process formatting the drive for UFS is very convoluted

1. The drive is detected so that it appears in rmformat -l

2. Create a Solaris partition on the disk (change /vol reference)

   # fdisk /vol/dev/rdsk/c5t0d0/unknown_format

3. Unplug/plug the USB drive

4. Get the drive details

  # fdisk -W -  /vol/dev/aliases/rmdisk0

* /vol/dev/aliases/rmdisk0 default fdisk table
* Dimensions:
*    512 bytes/sector
*    126 sectors/track
*    255 tracks/cylinder
*   60800 cylinders
*
* systid:
*    1: DOSOS12
*    2: PCIXOS
*    4: DOSOS16
*    5: EXTDOS
*    6: DOSBIG
*    7: FDISK_IFS
*    8: FDISK_AIXBOOT
*    9: FDISK_AIXDATA
*   10: FDISK_0S2BOOT
*   11: FDISK_WINDOWS
*   12: FDISK_EXT_WIN
*   14: FDISK_FAT95
*   15: FDISK_EXTLBA
*   18: DIAGPART
*   65: FDISK_LINUX
*   82: FDISK_CPM
*   86: DOSDATA
*   98: OTHEROS
*   99: UNIXOS
*  101: FDISK_NOVELL3
*  119: FDISK_QNX4
*  120: FDISK_QNX42
*  121: FDISK_QNX43
*  130: SUNIXOS
*  131: FDISK_LINUXNAT
*  134: FDISK_NTFSVOL1
*  135: FDISK_NTFSVOL2
*  165: FDISK_BSD
*  167: FDISK_NEXTSTEP
*  183: FDISK_BSDIFS
*  184: FDISK_BSDISWAP
*  190: X86BOOT
*  191: SUNIXOS2
*  238: EFI_PMBR
*  239: EFI_FS
*

* Id    Act  Bhead  Bsect  Bcyl    Ehead  Esect  Ecyl    Rsect    Numsect
  191   128  0      1      2       254    63     1023    32130    1953471870

5. Multiple ( Numsect * Bytes per Sector )/ (1024*1024) to get partition
0 and 2 size (100% of drive)

   ( 1953471870 * 512 )/ 1048576 = 953843MB

6. Create a partition file disk_slice.txt  for rmformat

    slices: 0 = 0, 953843MB, "wm", "unassigned" :
      1 = 0, 0MB, "wu", "unassigned" :
      2 = 0, 953843MB, "wm", "backup"

7. Write ufs partition information to Solaris drive partition

   # rmformat -s disk_slice.txt /vol/dev/aliases/rmdisk0

8. UFS format drive

  # newfs /vol/dev/aliases/rmdisk0

9. Drive is automatically mounted as unamed_rmdisk

0
solx
10/12/2009 11:43:26 AM
solx wrote:
> [...]
> *  191: SUNIXOS2
> *  238: EFI_PMBR
> *  239: EFI_FS
> *
>
> * Id    Act  Bhead  Bsect  Bcyl    Ehead  Esect  Ecyl    Rsect    Numsect
>  191   128  0      1      2       254    63     1023    32130    1953471870
>
> 5. Multiple ( Numsect * Bytes per Sector )/ (1024*1024) to get partition
> 0 and 2 size (100% of drive)
>
>   ( 1953471870 * 512 )/ 1048576 = 953843MB
>
> 6. Create a partition file disk_slice.txt  for rmformat
>
>    slices: 0 = 0, 953843MB, "wm", "unassigned" :
>      1 = 0, 0MB, "wu", "unassigned" :
>      2 = 0, 953843MB, "wm", "backup"
>
> 7. Write ufs partition information to Solaris drive partition
>
>   # rmformat -s disk_slice.txt /vol/dev/aliases/rmdisk0
>
> 8. UFS format drive
>
>  # newfs /vol/dev/aliases/rmdisk0
>
> 9. Drive is automatically mounted as unamed_rmdisk

If you shutdown to single user mode

# shutdown -iS -g0 -y

then plug in your USB drive, run

# rmformat -l

to identify the drive and its device reference, which can be used to
mount the drive

# mount -F ufs /dev/dsk/c3t0d0s0 /usbdrive

you can then ufsdump

# ufsdump 0bf 64 /usbdrive/ufsdump.YYYYMMDD  /

ufsdump output, I found that 540GB takes around six hours

# umount /usbdrive

0
solx

Format inside a format
Hi everyone, I have a list of codes which I want formatted with a string for each code. But I don't have a definition for every single code, so I would like to have a generic "Other" value which keeps the code in it. Something like "Other (2323)" for the undefined code 2323. Is this possible to achieve using formats or should I write a datastep for that. Thanks a lot for your help. Guillermo Ramos wrote: > Hi everyone, > I have a list of codes which I want formatted with a string for each > code. But I don't have a definition for every single code, so I ...

pilot-link, USB and MacOSX
I've compiled pilot-link (11.8) on my Mac OS X (10.2.6) system, only to realize that I don't know what device in /dev to use for the USB cradle. I've searched high and low to no avail. Has anyone done this? I'd like to take advantages of a few of the utilities in pilot-link to talk with my M500/505 devices. (I generally use iSync, but install-memo should install a memo, that's over 4K in size. At least it did under HP-UX.) thanks, tom On Sun, 03 Aug 2003 19:52:43 +0000, tom wrote: > Has anyone done this? I'd like to take advantages of a few of the &g...

Put Aplle II software on 5.25'' disk
I have an PC with a 5.25'' floppy drive. I downloaded some Apple II softwares from the net and I would like to copy them on the 5.25'' floppy. My intention is to use this floppy in my IIc. Is there any software for PC that can create Apple II disk image and copy it on a 5.25'' floppy disk and then use this floppy disk in my IIc? oualid.burstrom@telia.com asked: >I have an PC with a 5.25'' floppy drive. >I downloaded some Apple II softwares from the net and I would like to >copy them on the 5.25'' floppy. >My intention is to use this flop...

ruby string format kicks in when doign wild card in activerecord
when i was doing a LIKE statement in my wild card query. Ruby thinks that the % is a String Format charactor and throws exception. what are my options. >> Rawdata.find(:all , :conditions=>["processed_indicator like 'LF%'"]) ArgumentError: malformed format string - %' from e:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.15.5/lib/ active_record/base.rb:1421:in `%' from e:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.15.5/lib/ active_record/base.rb:1421:in `sanitize_sql_array' from e:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.15.5/lib/...

Re: Date Formats... #2
On Tue, 5 May 2009 13:42:40 -0400, SUBSCRIBE SAS-L Joe H. Smith <peesari.mahesh@GMAIL.COM> wrote: >Hi all; > >I have the following code here..... > data want; > x=date(); > y=date(); > format x dtdate9. y ddmmyy10.; > run; > >MY O/P is ... x y > 01Jan1960 05/05/2009 > >Can you explain me why there is a difference in date values,when i am >using the same date function for both the variables..only my format type >is changing,if i want x to have a value of 05May2009,How can i get >this .My desi...

Proc Format vs Format
I need to create 10 point breaks on values ranging from 0 - 999. I was wondering which technique is better. Create a proc format that groups the values or just code a new variable in a data step. Nicole: How much data do you have? Will you be doing this often? Do you have a library in which to save formats? In general, I believe in Leaving the Data Alone (tm). That means: format. Avoids a data step. Doesn't require explaining where that new data set came from. If you don't feel like typing 100 lines, you can 1)--use Excel's Fill Series feature to do most of the typing for yo...

Linux the first operating system to support USB 3
begin{quote} After a development cycle lasting exactly three months (June 9 to September 9), Linus Torvalds has released the 2.6.31 kernel. This cycle saw the inclusion of almost 11,000 different changes from over 1100 individual developers representing some 200 companies; a minimum of 16% of the changes came form developers representing only themselves. In other words, over the last three months, Linux kernel developers were putting 118 changes into the kernel every day. That is a lot of work. .... end{quote} http://linux-foundation.org/weblogs/lwf/2009/09/10/2631-is-out/ -- C.O.L.A...

New USB host controller drivers: usbhcd187.zip
I have updated the USB host controller drivers USBUHCD.SYS, USBOHCD.SYS, USBEHCD.SYS, USBD.SYS (and now also: USBRESMG.SYS) I have now placed these on hobbes. http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/incoming/usbhcd187.zip They will eventually make it into directory: /pub/os2/system/drivers/misc 1) USBOHCD: occasionally the HCs would drop dead on boot up (observed on my system). Try this update if you experience the same. 2) USBEHCD: trying to fix the various issues with devices not being redetected etc. Honestly I don't know if it will fix your problems, just try this if you...

*.wmv -> *.mpg (or any qt-format, any format fcp can read)
Hi, anybody an idea how can I convert *.wmv-files to something QuickTime (especially FinalCut Pro, DVD Studio Pro) can use. I'm a Macuser and I don't like M$-Progs on my mashine. THX berkhoff In article <1113752038_20868@news-east.n>, Berkhoff <berkhoff@freemail.hu> wrote: > Hi, > anybody an idea how can I convert *.wmv-files to something QuickTime > (especially FinalCut Pro, DVD Studio Pro) can use. > > I'm a Macuser and I don't like M$-Progs on my mashine. > > THX Depending upon what codec/version was used to create the .wmv file, y...

Re: date format conversion #2
Hey thanks so much! That worked very nicely. I was unaware of that "datepart" function. ...

RAW image data format
I just got a digital SLR, and one of the recording formats is RAW. The resolution isn't noticeably better than its extra fine jpeg, but it ought to be easier to process. I'm pretty happy using GIMP (Gnu Image Manipulation Program, obviously free) on my digital images, but it doesn't know Minolta's RAW format. I have a program that can convert it to tiff, but GIMP, while it displays the image, finds tags it doesn't understand. Instead of asking naive questions, I simply request advice. One bit of processing I want to do is averaging. The "film speed" can be ...

output to spreadsheet
I use OpenOffice but I suppose similar formatting rules apply to MS Excel. For example, to format a cell for two digit numbering, the format code is: #,##0.00 I can use formulas (=F$temp + 5) and there's likely a way to write formatting strings in the output code, I just need a little help. Any ideas? My code is fairly typical to export to spreadsheet: //get data from database header("Content-type: application/octet-stream"); header("Content-Disposition: attachment; filename=\"my-data.xls\""); $data = ""; $temp = 0; foreach($r as $row) { $tem...

embedded usb
hello , I am doing my final year project related to interfacin webcam(logitech quickcam express) and bluetooth-usb-dongle to LPC210 microcontroller (based on ARM7TDMI processor) through usb host controller ,which transfers the static images captured by webcam through bluetooth.An further capturing the static images through the bluetooth connected at th PC end, and doing some image processing in matlab. It could be a very great help for me if you suggest me abou how to proceed for writing the driver for webcam and bluetooth. waiting for valuable...

Suggestions for luggable USB drive
Has anyone suggestions for a luggable USB2 drive with a capacity at/above a couple of hundred G? The OS to which this will be connected will be either Fedora Core 3 or Redhat Enterprise (eventually 4, but perhaps 3 at the start given the missing RHEL4 support for some features I need unrelated to this USB drive). The hardware will be both Supermicro and IBM xSeries. Any "gotchas" regarding drives that don't work? Thanks... Andrew ...

Re: V9 format
Stat, I don't know what code you used to get you dataset with yor format names so i will skip that now on to your error you might want to invest some time into reading the online docs on FMTSEACRCH= : FMTSEARCH= System Option -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Controls the order in which format catalogs are searched Valid in: configuration file, SAS invocation, OPTIONS statement, SAS System Options window Category: Environment control: Files PROC OPTIONS GROUP= ENVFILES ------------------------------------------------------------------...

On the conversion of Mapinfo format into Arcinfo format
Hello everyone here, I am mainly working with ArcMap. However recently I have to read a map in the format of Mapinfo. Since I do not have access to a Mapinfo software, anyone have an idea of converting the Mapinfo map (tab file) into the ArcMap format (shape file) without using Mapinfo? Thanks in advance Jianhua JIanhua Guo wrote: > Hello everyone here, > > I am mainly working with ArcMap. However recently I have to read a map in > the format of Mapinfo. Since I do not have access to a Mapinfo software, > anyone have an idea of converting the Mapinfo map...

Upgrade or format/clean install
1. I am a n00b 2. Macbook pro (3-4 years old) 3. Running SL 4. Want to go to 10.7. - haven't done this yet 5. Don't want to f... up - I usually do, the simpler things are, more prone am I to f... just the same So, any good web resources to read through before doing this? I read some forum threads claiming that a clean install is "smarter" than upgrading ... What is your experience? Any tips? Tnx, and sorry for a n00b question. -- oNe buTTon keyBOARd To RuLe tHeM All In article <PM0004C99CB7468E51@miso-mudrics-macbook-pro.unknown.dom>, Marlock...

Formatted Input
I have a file structure like this.. Variable Description StartingColumn EndingColumn Data Type Name Name 1 15 Char Acct Account number 16 20 Char Balance Acct balance 21 26 Num Rate Interest rate 27 30 Num and Text file is like this Philip Jones V1234 4322.32 Nathan Philips V1399 15202.45 Shu Lu W8892 451233.45 Betty Boop V7677 50002.78 My problem is i need to read this file by using formatted input. i tried with follo...

2-port USB hub chip?
Hi all, Is there exist 2-port USB hub chip? Any suggestions will be appreciated! Best regards, Davy You can find a list of USB IC manufacturers on: http://www.interfacebus.com/Design_Connector_USB.html However to save you a little time, Fairchild Semiconductor produces a Dual Port USB IC [FSUSB22]. http://www.fairchildsemi.com/ Main page is: http://www.interfacebus.com/ ...

Re: %sysfunc and date format #2
On Wed, 5 Sep 2007 09:13:42 -0700, a@MAILINATOR.COM wrote: >this works but not in the proc sql > >%let a=%sysfunc(putn(%sysfunc(date()) -16, yymmdd10.)); >%let b=%sysfunc(translate(%sysfunc(putn(%sysfunc(date()) -16, >yymmdd10.)),"/","-")); >%put &a &b; > >2007-08-20 2007/08/20 > >..and date = > ("%sysfunc(translate(%sysfunc(putn(%sysfunc(date()) -16, >yymmdd10.)),"/","-"))") > >produces error in sas log > >Column '2007/08/20' not found hi, with my 9.1.3 sp4 on my win xp, i get...

Volume is not in dump format --- what format is it?
I've been working on restoring some 8-year old Solaris tapes on Solaris 10 x86 and recently ran into some unrecognized tape files, i.e., "Volume is not in dump format". An od reveals that they are indeed NOT ufsdumps, but what are they? They are NOT cpio or tar. Anyone have any ideas? For kicks, here's what a ufsdump header looks like (see the \0 \0 352 signature?): "0000000 \0 \0 \0 001 : V ~ m \0 \0 \0 \0 \0 \0 \0 001 0000020 \0 \0 \0 \0 \0 007 233 277 \0 \0 352 l $ 240 Q 1 0000040 \0 \0 \0 \0 \0 \0 \0 \0 \0 \0 \0 \0 \0 ...

FIND: Parameterformat falsch (parameter format not correct)
I have downwloaded a professional script to do some tagging on a text. This script should read files from a directory but I get an error message: FIND:: paramater format not correct Here the critical parts of the script: use Tk; use Tk::BrowseEntry; use Tk::Dialog; if ($#ARGV < 2) { die "\nUsage: general_tagger.pl <input_dir> <output_dir> <label_file>\n\nIMPORTANT: This script enables you to delete files in the input directory\nwith the Skip button. Create a backup now!!\n\n"; } else { $intextfiledir = "${ARGV[0]}\"; $outtextfiledir = &qu...

Currency Formatting
Is there a a way to have output formatted as currency, sort of like in VB's format currency function? thanks. Friendly Indian wrote: > Is there a a way to have output formatted as currency, sort of > like in VB's format currency function? thanks. http://jibbering.com/faq/#FAQ4_6 JW JRS: In article <40007e09$0$23708$1b62eedf@news.wanadoo.nl>, seen in news:comp.lang.javascript, Janwillem Borleffs <jw@jwscripts.com> posted at Sat, 10 Jan 2004 23:34:45 :- >Friendly Indian wrote: >> Is there a a way to have output formatted as currency, sort of &g...

USB-question
I'm asking a question about USB-technology here because I didn't find an appropriate (alt.)comp.periph-newsgroup. When you attach a low-speed USB-device to a USB-hub, all ports are forced to that lower speed and the upstream to the host or next USB -hibis also working with in low-speed-mode. Would it be possible to build an USB-hub that handles all devices separately so that they wouldn't force their siblings to their transfer-mode and translate them to the highest speed possible on the upstream? Or is there such a hub on the market? On Oct 9, 8:06 pm, Elcaro Nosille <Elcaro....

Page break with proc print in an rtf format
Hi everybody I hope someone can help me with this. I am currently making a report where I output a lit with several variables. I now need to enter a page break according to one variable. Let's say I have 10 customers that live in New York and 15 in Los Angeles. I would like a page break where the last cutomer in New York is and a new page to start where the first customer in Los Angeles. This is the current code I use: data _null_; call symput('datotxt',put(date(),yymmddn8.)); run; %put &datotxt; ods escapechar='^'; options pageno=1; ods rtf file...