The Single Most Annoying Thing About The Solaris Install

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Yes, I've done it again....

Installed Sol10 0606 on an SB1000 in another far away building, and not
added a non-priv user or done the /etc/default/login edit.

One good thing about Linux is you are prompted for another
other-than-root user on install.

What thinks from other Unixes or clones would be good for Solaris I wonder?

Linux Install routine is good.

Irix 4DWM is still slick and fast and not horrible and the admin tools are OK.

HP-UX's SAM or AIX's SMIT thing? bootable tape?

Now I've got to go out again!

Steve

0
Reply stek1961NO (48) 7/24/2006 12:21:41 PM

See related articles to this posting

Steve <stek1961NO@SPAMmac.com> writes:
> One good thing about Linux is you are prompted for another
> other-than-root user on install.
>
> What thinks from other Unixes or clones would be good for Solaris I wonder?

The things you're mentioning are well-known to the folks working on
Solaris Install, but if you'd like to contribute (or just watch the
work in progress), check out the Install community at opensolaris.org:

  http://www.opensolaris.org/os/community/install/

In particular, you might want to read over the "Solaris Installation
Strategy" document that Dave Miner posted.

--
James Carlson, KISS Network                    <james.d.carlson@sun.com>
Reply James 7/24/2006 3:57:32 PM

* Steve:

> What thinks from other Unixes or clones would be good for Solaris I wonder?

IMHO an installation routine that not only tells you about the software
dependencies when (de)selecting software during the initial Solaris
install but also offers to automatically resolve them...

Benjamin
0
Reply Benjamin 7/31/2006 5:51:33 AM

Benjamin Gawert wrote:
> * Steve:
>
> > What thinks from other Unixes or clones would be good for Solaris I wonder?
>
> IMHO an installation routine that not only tells you about the software
> dependencies when (de)selecting software during the initial Solaris
> install but also offers to automatically resolve them...

If this is a "pet installer peeve" thread, I'd mention the poor package
choices and interfaces for editing the choices. Packages need to be in
logical groupings, with multiple drill-down levels, and much better
descriptions. Currently the long list of packages with cryptic names
and missing descriptions involves a lot of time, guesswork (unless
you're already a Solaris savant) and opportunities for errors.
Installing Gentoo is less errorprone and perhaps even quicker :)

--T

> Benjamin

0
Reply toby 8/8/2006 4:21:16 PM
comp.sys.sun.admin 3735 articles. 4 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Installing Solaris patches in single user mode
I know this question may sound crazy, but why do we install Solaris patches in single user mode? I'm hoping for confirmation of a specific technical reason that I believe is true. I already know the obvious: Sun recommends it. But no one knows why. I think I do, but just want to confirm. Please respond here. If you send me email, double check my address (to deter spam). Thanks, Billy Atkins BillyA wrote: > I know this question may sound crazy, but why do we install Solaris patches > in single user mode? > > I'm hoping for confirmation of a specific technical reason ...

Install both Oracle 8i and 9i on a single Sun Solaris Box?
I already have Oracle 9.2.0.4 on the machine. Now I want to install Oracle 8.1.7 on it. Is there any guideline that I can follow? Here is the OS machine of Solaris: bash-2.03$ uname -a SunOS luckbox 5.8 Generic_108528-23 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-V240 Thank you, Jim "Jim Cheng" <jim_pku@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:6028007c.0411111509.5871842c@posting.google.com... >I already have Oracle 9.2.0.4 on the machine. Now I want to install > Oracle 8.1.7 on it. Is there any guideline that I can follow? > > Here is the OS machine of Solaris: > bash-2....

Booting Solaris 9 x86 in single user mode from the install CD
Hello, What is the procedure to boot in single user mode from the Solaris 9 x86 CD ? On SPARC I would only have to type boot cdrom -s but on x86 I'm somehow confused... Thanks synuw <syn_uw@nospam_hotmail.com> wrote: > Hello, > What is the procedure to boot in single user mode from the Solaris 9 x86 > CD ? After you get past the bus scan, and then pick the boot device, it should present you with a prompt to (b)oot or go (i)nteractive > Assuming you've picked the CD already as the device, just do a 'b -s' there. -- Darren Dunham ...

Single Box installation OCS 10G release 2 on Solaris 9
Hello everyone! I've been leeching from this newsgroup for years, posting a little follow-up now and then.. And finally the time has arrived for me to try and post something useful here. Well, useful.. It's a question, so no idea what someone can do with that besides trying to answer it. But give it your best shot! :) I won't mind, really. My question: Is there ANY documentation about a single box install on Solaris? Right now I am using a document I found on Metalink, but it describes a single box installation of OCS 903 on Linux. I managed to install the infrastructure, stor...

Arg... installation problems: The installation tells me that this is not a solaris installation cd.
OK, I have a problem with _one_ of my machines here at home. I have used the same installation CD's to install both my laptops and a good old Pentium II, but when I try to install Solaris on my newest computer (an intel P4 with 1.25 GB Ram) it starts the installation just fine and allows me to configure everything up to the screen where I may select the installation method (flash etc). When I try to proceed with my CD installation, it brings up a screen telling me that it is not a valid solaris cd. Does anyone have an idea for what I could try? Without Solaris, the machine is usel...

Solaris install without install tools
I have a new Solaris machine that doesn't have any install tools (no gcc, make, ...) I am not able to install any software on my machine. I downloaded the ISO's from Sun's website but when I install the OS, it doesn't have the tools. Am I installing something incorrectly, or does Solaris not come with these tools? If it doesn't, how can I install gcc and make with compiling the install files? On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 11:17:44 -0800, mjsterlin wrote: > I have a new Solaris machine that doesn't have any install tools (no > gcc, make, ...) I am not able to install any ...

How to install Ubuntu on a Solaris 10 installation?
Hello I've got a x86 PC with one HDD and Solaris 10 on it. I would like to install Ubuntu side-by-side to S10, but don't know how. S10 starts with GRUB. Is there a way to convert or shrink the S10 partition to have some space for Linux? Thanks Vittorio On 2006-06-19 17:00, vittoriob@gmail.com wrote: > Hello > > I've got a x86 PC with one HDD and Solaris 10 on it. > > I would like to install Ubuntu side-by-side to S10, but don't know how. > > S10 starts with GRUB. > > Is there a way to convert or shrink the S10 partition to have some > sp...

Installing Solaris 10 or Solaris 9
Hi there, I have an old Sun Box, is an Ultra SPARC-IIi 300MHz, right now I am using Solaris 9. I have a two parts question, first one is, can I install Solaris 10 on this machine?, maybe is just to outdated for it. Second question is, can I download all the Solaris 9 software from "www.sun.com" as DVD, into a Windows XP box, them burn them as a DVD, will it work on my Sun Box?, or once I download them in to the Windows box, do I have to expand each zip file, them burn them into a DVD, and again the same question will it work on the Sun Box? Thanks. Alfonso G. Urroz "Alfonso...

Installing Solaris 8 Apps on Solaris 10
Does anyone know how to fool apps into thinking they are installing on a Solaris 8 system when actually running on Solaris 10? I'm trying to install OpenView 6.4.1 and getting tired of trying to hack the install script. Thanks, C. McCane On Sat, 2 Apr 2005, Charles McCane wrote: > Does anyone know how to fool apps into thinking they are installing on a > Solaris 8 system when actually running on Solaris 10? I'm trying to > install OpenView 6.4.1 and getting tired of trying to hack the install > script. Thats really the only way*. Apps shouldn't care what version...

ZFS missing from installation of Solaris 10
Hello! To my big surprise, I just discovered that one of "my" Solaris 10 Servers is missing ZFS :( Where can I download the ZFS packages, so that I can install it on this server? Thanks, Alexander Skwar Alexander Skwar <alexander@skwar.name> writes: >Hello! >To my big surprise, I just discovered that one of "my" Solaris >10 Servers is missing ZFS :( >Where can I download the ZFS packages, so that I can install >it on this server? You need to upgrade to release 06/06 or later. (Though I think there's an appropriate patch bundle also) Caspe...

Can you install Solaris 9 into a Solaris 9 container?
I found a lot of documentation about installing a Solaris 9 flar into a Solaris 9 container. Can you install Solaris 9 from media into a container? B. On 04/18/11 11:44 AM, Bartholomew wrote: > I found a lot of documentation about installing a Solaris 9 flar into a > Solaris 9 container. Can you install Solaris 9 from media into a container? I don't think so. AFAIR it works only with a flar or ufsdump. On 2011-04-18 17:04:28 +0100, Oscar del Rio said: > On 04/18/11 11:44 AM, Bartholomew wrote: >> I found a lot of documentation about installing a Solaris 9 flar into a ...

How do i get Solaris 10 x86 installer to install Grub?
Hi I wonder if anyone can help me? I am new to Solaris. I downloaded the ISO disk image for Solaris 10 (x86) from Sun's website and burned it to a DVD. I booted my PC from the DVD and chose the interactive install session. 1 hour later all the files had installed to the partition I'd chosen and the computer reset however Solaris 10 did not install the Sun version of Grub bootloader. I currently have Windows XP and Ubuntu Linux installed on my computer and the Linux Grub bootloader is installed however i read on the Sun website that only Sun's version of Grub supports the U...

install solaris from iso image, from within solaris (grub)
Hi. I'm running Nevada b93 on my thinkpad x60 and would like to get back to Solaris 10 - i have downloaded the most recent imaage from sun.com, as an iso file - in my homedirectory within Solaris (nevada) How is it I setup grub, so when I boot, I can install from the iso image file? I am not interested in burning the iso on a dvd/cdrom - and want to install from the iso image on the harddrive. Thanks -Ole Richard B. Gilbert wrote: > > > > Thanks > > > > -Ole > > What do you do when the install overwrites the ISO? I'll install in another parition...

Installing binaries from Solaris 2.7 Installation CD
I am wondering how do I install binary files or libraries (e.g. files/libs under /usr/bin or /usr/lib) from installtion CD after mounting it ? I know there are minimal boot files/libs under / directory on CD-ROM but how about other files ? Are there in any particular format ? Is there a simple way of extracting files from CD on to the machine after I boot if off of CD-ROM ? I do not have any issue but want to be prepare if I ever have to do it. Thanks in advance. SS On Mon, 14 Jun 2004, Sun System wrote: > I am wondering how do I install binary files or libraries (e.g. > files/li...

Installation of Solaris
Hi all, I m a student from India, I have a P3 with 256 MB RAM and I m installing Solaris 10 iX86 wiht DVD on my 20 Gigs HDD on Secondary drive. I have following Error msgs. ---------------------------------- Configuring disk (c1d0) - creating fdisk partition table - creating Solaris disk table (VTOC) - Processing alternate sector slice Creating X86Boot partition - creating filesystems on fdisk partition c1d0p1 Creating and checking UFS file system - Creating / (c1d0s0) ERROR: File systems creation failed for / (c1d0s0) ERROR: Could not check or create syst...

Howto install ENDUSER software after a CORE install: Solaris 10
Guys, Fearing that my solaris install might bonb, I chose the CORE INSTALL option at install time. Now all I have is a shell. How can I install the ENDUSER software (CDE + man pages)? Trouble is, I haven't the faintest idea how to mount the CDROM? I am on a Sun Ultra 10, the the CDROM is the secondary master on the IDE. Thanks... thick_guy_9 wrote: > Guys, > Fearing that my solaris install might bonb, I chose the CORE INSTALL > option at install time. > Now all I have is a shell. > > How can I install the ENDUSER software (CDE + man pages)? > Trouble is, I haven...

Solaris install
Has anyone out there installed ooRexx in x86 Solaris? I did the pkgadd version after I tried the manual install but I cannot get REXX to execute. If I add /opt/sfw/bin (this is where oorexx installed) to the path, I get "ld.so.1: rexx: fatal: libm.so.2: open failed: No such file or directory.Killed" Any ideas? On May 1, 6:49 pm, mcgoss <mich...@gossfamily.net> wrote: > Has anyone out there installed ooRexx in x86 Solaris? I did the pkgadd > version after I tried the manual install but I cannot get REXX to > execute. If I add /opt/sfw/bin (this is where oorexx instal...

Cannot install Solaris 10 to a Linux installed Sun-Blade-1500
Hello, I have a Sun-Blade-1500 with Linux installed currently. Now we want to put Solaris 10 into it but it just doesn't work. Every time it failed in finding disk. When I boot up the system with cdrom and from format command I can see the disk c0t0d0 but with unknown status. But when I tried to format it, the format command cored when I chose the disk. What should I do here to reverse the disk for Solaris? Thanks, John On Oct 26, 9:32 am, johnx...@gmail.com wrote: > Hello, > > I have a Sun-Blade-1500 with Linux installed currently. Now we want to > put Solaris 10 into it ...

Cluster Patch Installation (Single User/Multiuser Mode install)?
I was wondering if it is ok to install the Solaris Recommended Patch Cluster set while running a system in Multiuser mode. I am aware that Sun recommends that you do this while in single user mode, but I have many systems that I would like to perform patch updates on that to put each system in single user mode and run the Cluster patch set would be difficult. Also, many of these systems are in remote places and/or in different offices. Any thoughts on doing this? I usually don't this on servers that are NFS or Oracle based systems. I usually would want to do this on our workstation sy...

install locale zh_TW.BIG5 after solaris 5.8 installation
Dear all, I have forgotton to install the locale zh_TW.BIG5 into the machine during the initial installation through the CD. Then I add the locale manaual AFTER the installation. The locale can successful be installation as viewed by locale -a However, when invoked the daemon using LC_ALL=zh_TW.BIG5 LANG=zh_TW.BIG5 export LC_ALL export JAVA_LIBRARY_ export LANG ...

packages needed for gcc installation on Solaris 9 core install
I am trying to build a barebones solaris 9 webserver (Apache, Mysql, Php, Perl). I do a default core installation and am having trouble getting the gcc-3.3.2 binary from sunfreeware.com to run (error is No AS). I believe I do not have all the necessary SUNW packages installed. The comments on sunfreeware say "To use the gcc package from sunfreeware.com you MUST install all of the SUNW deveoper packages that come on Sun's Solaris CDs.". Does anyone know of a list of packages which must be installed on top of a core install to get gcc to work? I saw on post which refered to t...

Solaris Install
Hi, I am new to setting up SPARC boxes with Solaris 8. I presently am setting up a box, with 6 hard drives (4X18 GB and 2X32 GB). I am able to setup Solaris 8 on them, but I need to also use Disksuite (which comes in CD 2) to enable mirroring. I will be using this server as a DB Server. While installing, I get an option for setting up automatically the File systems. If I choose this, there are several directories with /export/home.. created occupying the complete space on these drives. That does not allow me to later setup the slices for setting up mirroring. How do I go about, with this ?...

Installer annoyances
Anyone else finder particular installation practices annoying? My peeves: 1) when installers REQUIRE information I don't want to give. I don't want to give them my telephone number. There's no reason for them to call me, and I don't want to be telemarketed. But some installers won't proceed without it--and they recognize obviously false numbers. 2) ones that REQUIRE you to register. Recent case in point: I just bought a Powerbook G4 and went through the registration process. I had problems with it and sent it back to Apple, but first wiped the hard drive. When I got...

Installation on Solaris
Hi trying to install Oracle 9.2 on to solaris 5.8 from CD. When the installer requests the second disk I can't eject the current disk. Manual eject does nothing, and using the eject command tells me umount failed and the drive is busy. umount -f fails with a permission failed. Its the installer hogging the drive, because eject works when I quit installer. Probably something fairly basic, but any ideas? Perhaps the eject has to be run as a different user - but which one? Chloe Crowder Chloe Crowder wrote: >Hi > >trying to install Oracle 9.2 on to solaris...