The Single Most Annoying Thing About The Solaris Install

Yes, I've done it again....

Installed Sol10 0606 on an SB1000 in another far away building, and not
added a non-priv user or done the /etc/default/login edit.

One good thing about Linux is you are prompted for another
other-than-root user on install.

What thinks from other Unixes or clones would be good for Solaris I wonder?

Linux Install routine is good.

Irix 4DWM is still slick and fast and not horrible and the admin tools are OK.

HP-UX's SAM or AIX's SMIT thing? bootable tape?

Now I've got to go out again!

Steve

0
stek1961NO (48)
7/24/2006 12:21:41 PM
comp.sys.sun.admin 3739 articles. 0 followers. bozothedeathmachine16 (49) is leader. Post Follow

Steve <stek1961NO@SPAMmac.com> writes:
> One good thing about Linux is you are prompted for another
> other-than-root user on install.
>
> What thinks from other Unixes or clones would be good for Solaris I wonder?

The things you're mentioning are well-known to the folks working on
Solaris Install, but if you'd like to contribute (or just watch the
work in progress), check out the Install community at opensolaris.org:

  http://www.opensolaris.org/os/community/install/

In particular, you might want to read over the "Solaris Installation
Strategy" document that Dave Miner posted.

--
James Carlson, KISS Network                    <james.d.carlson@sun.com>
James

> What thinks from other Unixes or clones would be good for Solaris I wonder?

IMHO an installation routine that not only tells you about the software
dependencies when (de)selecting software during the initial Solaris
install but also offers to automatically resolve them...

Benjamin
0
Benjamin
7/31/2006 5:51:33 AM
Benjamin Gawert wrote:
> * Steve:
>
> > What thinks from other Unixes or clones would be good for Solaris I wonder?
>
> IMHO an installation routine that not only tells you about the software
> dependencies when (de)selecting software during the initial Solaris
> install but also offers to automatically resolve them...

If this is a "pet installer peeve" thread, I'd mention the poor package
choices and interfaces for editing the choices. Packages need to be in
logical groupings, with multiple drill-down levels, and much better
descriptions. Currently the long list of packages with cryptic names
and missing descriptions involves a lot of time, guesswork (unless
you're already a Solaris savant) and opportunities for errors.
Installing Gentoo is less errorprone and perhaps even quicker :)

--T

> Benjamin

0
toby