The Single Most Annoying Thing About The Solaris Install

Yes, I've done it again....

Installed Sol10 0606 on an SB1000 in another far away building, and not
added a non-priv user or done the /etc/default/login edit.

One good thing about Linux is you are prompted for another
other-than-root user on install.

What thinks from other Unixes or clones would be good for Solaris I wonder?

Linux Install routine is good.

Irix 4DWM is still slick and fast and not horrible and the admin tools are OK.

HP-UX's SAM or AIX's SMIT thing? bootable tape?

Now I've got to go out again!

Steve

0
stek1961NO (48)
7/24/2006 12:21:41 PM
comp.sys.sun.admin 3736 articles. 0 followers. bozothedeathmachine16 (49) is leader. Post Follow

Steve <stek1961NO@SPAMmac.com> writes:
> One good thing about Linux is you are prompted for another
> other-than-root user on install.
>
> What thinks from other Unixes or clones would be good for Solaris I wonder?

The things you're mentioning are well-known to the folks working on
Solaris Install, but if you'd like to contribute (or just watch the
work in progress), check out the Install community at opensolaris.org:

  http://www.opensolaris.org/os/community/install/

In particular, you might want to read over the "Solaris Installation
Strategy" document that Dave Miner posted.

--
James Carlson, KISS Network                    <james.d.carlson@sun.com>
James

> What thinks from other Unixes or clones would be good for Solaris I wonder?

IMHO an installation routine that not only tells you about the software
dependencies when (de)selecting software during the initial Solaris
install but also offers to automatically resolve them...

Benjamin
0
Benjamin
7/31/2006 5:51:33 AM
Benjamin Gawert wrote:
> * Steve:
>
> > What thinks from other Unixes or clones would be good for Solaris I wonder?
>
> IMHO an installation routine that not only tells you about the software
> dependencies when (de)selecting software during the initial Solaris
> install but also offers to automatically resolve them...

If this is a "pet installer peeve" thread, I'd mention the poor package
choices and interfaces for editing the choices. Packages need to be in
logical groupings, with multiple drill-down levels, and much better
descriptions. Currently the long list of packages with cryptic names
and missing descriptions involves a lot of time, guesswork (unless
you're already a Solaris savant) and opportunities for errors.
Installing Gentoo is less errorprone and perhaps even quicker :)

--T

> Benjamin

0
toby

Legato backup on solaris 9: Any good ?
I'm in search of a backup solution to replace our antedeluvian Arcserve 2.2c. We're on a tight budget. Not much info to backup, 4 Solaris servers, 4 linux servers. Quantum DLT4500 drive/loader. My vendor quoted me legato. Any users of the product here ? Opinions ? Alternatives ? Thanks "G Dahler" <gd-nntp2@spamex.com> writes: > I'm in search of a backup solution to replace our antedeluvian Arcserve > 2.2c. We're on a tight budget. Not much info to backup, 4 Solaris servers, 4 > linux servers. Quantum DLT4500 drive/loader. My vendor quoted me le...

How to output each obs. in a data set as a single data set?
Hi All, I have a data set which contains hundreds of observations. Now I have to output each observation as a single data, anyone know how to do this in SAS? Thanks in advance! Pooh Poohbear , Why? This would make a horendous nightmare.... do tell what reason you wish to do this for? Toby Dunn If anything simply cannot go wrong, it will anyway. Murphys Law #2. The buddy system is essential to your survival; it gives the enemy somebody else to shoot at. Murphys Law # Tell a man there are 300 billion stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint ...

boolean annoyance
Hello, there is one thing in ruby that annoys me most (at least for now). if 0 puts "true" end Yes, I know everything expect nil and false are true but that's probably the most illogic part of ruby. Because of this stuff like if flags & 0x01 # do some stuff if flag is set end will execute in any case. Perhaps I'm biased because I'm a crazy C hacker but I can not believe that others do not fall into this trap. I realy like the clearness of the ruby syntax but this "everything but nil and false is true" logic is totaly non obvious and annoying. Why can...

Is this a Bad Thing? ;) (A3000)
I opened up my recently purchased, working, but in Supervisor mode, A3000 the other day. I don't think the battery is supposed to look like this is it? http://www.minormania.com/stuff/a3000_cmos.jpg > I opened up my recently purchased, working, but in Supervisor mode, > A3000 the other day. I don't think the battery is supposed to look like > this is it? > http://www.minormania.com/stuff/a3000_cmos.jpg It looks bad indeed. However, a firm steel brush can do miracles. Good luck, Paul Sprangers In message <1117791847.326123.93130@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com> ...

DNSSEC: support for single keys?
Hi, Do you know if Bind with auto-dnssec maintain + inline-signing is supposed to work with a single key (i.e. not a KSK + ZSK)? I'm seeing weird things (multiple RRSIGs when enabling NSEC3) so I'd like to know if these are likely to be bugs or if I'm in unchartered territory... Gilles -- Fondation RESTENA - DNS-LU 6, rue Coudenhove-Kalergi L-1359 Luxembourg tel: (+352) 424409 fax: (+352) 422473 ...

Inclusion of magnetic saturation in single phase asynchronous machines
Asynchronous machines, both three phase and single phase, are actively being considered for power generation in distributed power generation system. These machine blocks are available in the simulink library and are extensively used for simulation. However, the simulink library doesn't have single phase machine block with magnetic saturation. This limits the use of the block as generator wherein the saturation phenomenon is vital for voltage build-up. How can this problem be tackled? ...

5.1 annoying background music
Every time I run Eudora 5.1 it plays this very annoying background music. I've tried to find a way to stop it but can't find anything. Any ideas? Thanks in advance On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 17:33:49 GMT, tedloops <tparry@telus.net> wrote: >Every time I run Eudora 5.1 it plays this very annoying background >music. I've tried to find a way to stop it but can't find anything. >Any ideas? >Thanks in advance Eudora doesn't have any "background music". Do you have a message that you don't close when quitting Eudora? -- Ajo Wissi...

FW: Install security update
--csnoycwilslqvsdp Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="gqrmechy"; type="multipart/alternative" --gqrmechy Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="uafebdunike" --uafebdunike Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Customer this is the latest version of security update, the "September 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which fixes all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three newly discovered vulnerabilities. Install now to continue...

Regarding regular expressions in Solaris
Hi, Am writing one C program for one of my module and facing one problem with the regular expression functions provided by the library libgen.h in solaris. In this library we are having two functions to deal with the regular expressions char *regcmp(const char *string1, /* char *string2 */ , int /*(char*)0*/); ------this function is to compile the regular expression.In case of failure it will return NULL. char *regex(const char *re, const char *subject, /* char *ret0 */ ...);---------This function is used to execute the compiled expression agai...

single and double
Please tell me how to use Matlab to measure the round-off error in some mathematical equations using single and double precision where some operations failed with single precession ...

Putting /usr in extended partition at install?
I'm just setting up a new 120 gig drive, and I'd like to do something like OpenBSD / FreeBSD / Win2K C: end of 1st 1024 cylinders (8 gigs) begin extended (Win2k) partition OpenBSD /usr, swap, etc FreeBSD /usr, swap, etc Other Win2k logical drives I can get the OpenBSD aind Win2k to install where I want them, but I can't figure out how to get the FreeBSD install program to see the extended partition at all. I know after the install I can set up something in an extended partition as ad0s5, ad0s6, etc. I can probably also install a minimal /usr and swap low o...

error installing packages
I'm trying to install Numeric on a mandrake-9.1 box but I get following error: [root@localhost numarray-0.9]# python setup.py install 'import site' failed; use -v for traceback Using EXTRA_COMPILE_ARGS = [] Traceback (most recent call last): File "setup.py", line 153, in ? main() File "setup.py", line 144, in main setup(**p) File "/usr/lib/python2.3/distutils/core.py", line 135, in setup ok = dist.parse_command_line() File "/usr/lib/python2.3/distutils/dist.py", line 422, in parse_command_line args = self._parse_comm...

Installing 4nt v6.01 with v3.00B
Hello, I'm running 4NT 3.00B on Windows NT 5.01 (winXPpro) and would like to install the 4NT v6.01 30-evaluation *in addition to* v3.00B by installing 6.01 to a different directory. I would like to use the 4ntu.exe full-setup to do the install. Does anyone know if installing 6.01 in a different directory will interfere in any way with 3.00? Thanks for any comments. -- To reply to me directly, remove the CLUTTER from my email address. "Vic Dura" <vpdura@CLUTTERhiwaay.net> wrote in message news:vsc8911re9i3oq946o7q9772clnoqdthe7@4ax.com... > Hello, ...

Annoying Preview behavior on exit
While most of the changes in the latest Preview are improvements over the panther version (such as the automatic scaling when the window is resized), there is one rather annoying new behavior: When I tell it to exit, it always pops up a window asking me "Do you want to save the changes ...?" It does this even when the window was just opened and there have been no changes at all. This is just a minor annoyance and time waster most of the time. When trying do a Restart, it's a killer, because a background Preview refuses to exit, and Restart gives up after a loooooong delay. I...

Single key press
Hi. I wonder if it is realistic to get a single key press in Python without ncurses or any similar library. In single key press I mean something like j and k in Gnu less program, you press the key and and it is captured by the script without need to press enter afterwards On Tuesday, December 6, 2011 1:49:55 PM UTC+8, Sergi Pasoev wrote: > Hi. > > I wonder if it is realistic to get a single key press in Python > without ncurses or > any similar library. In single key press I mean something like j and k > in Gnu less > program, you press the key and and it is captured by...

Need to display a single main form with 48 subforms
I need to display a main form with 48 identical subforms. 6 columns with 8 rows. I set up a separate query for each subform, identical in structure and underlying data except the criteria in two fields is different for each. (ie Row and Column id fields). I am able to select data in each subform from combo box lists, then on after update event I want to store data in a master underlying transaction table, both when each subform is updated individually as well as when a single cmd button in the parent form is clicked to update all data from all subforms. Any ideas or suggestions on code...

Single Precision
Dear All How I can run M-file using single precision instead of double. I would like to all variables to be in single format. Not just format but also the operation of matlab. Thanks for all If you want to perform math on single precision data you need to use the latest verion of MATLAB, version 7. http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/techdoc/math/nondouble9.html Stuart "Ayman Elnashar" <nashar_eg@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:eee412e.-1@webx.raydaftYaTP... > Dear All > How I can run M-file using single precision instead of double. I > would like to al...

AS v9 install problem
****** Message from InterScan E-Mail VirusWall NT ****** ** No virus found in attached file noname.htm ** No virus found in attached file noname.htm This email is clean: Technologies:Malam Systems ***************** End of message *************** ...

6.1.06 still junking things in Address Book
Eudora's Junk feature has never worked right for us, and we're wondering if we're the only ones for whom this is true. We have the boxes checked saying to add Not Junked items to an address book, and not to Junk things in an address book. Yet it continues to do so. I've unchecked, closed, restarted Eudora, rechecked them, no change. I'd hoped the 6.1 upgrade would help, but no such luck. A possibly related artifact: if we Not Junk someone who is already in the NotJunk address book, it adds another entry. For example, if bob@example.com is a friend and sends a...

GNATBench : how can I install ?
Hello people out there, I get into some troubles with Hibachi (the Ada support plug-in for = Eclipse). It became very slow and take very long when I switch from a vi= ew = to the Ada view. So I wanted to have a look at GNATBench, which I = downloaded from the TopCased site. There was an installer, so I used it to be safe. But when I restarted = Eclipse, nothing was there : no editor dedicated to Ada source, no Ada = view, nothing. I searched the web and found some who get similar trouble some years ago= .. = He receive a response telling him he had to have a CDT installed. What ...

Incorporating a filled cylinder of black(any single color) color in another surface plot
Hello, I have some data points of particles in the various position of a 50x50 cell. I discretized the cell to get the particle density and I made a surface plot. Now I want to incorporate a filled or closed cylinder of different color (different from the color of color bar, gray or black ) in the same surface plot. Is this possible? ...

Using Asian Character within CLOB in a single-byte database character set
Hi, I need to stored some japanese character in a WEISO8859P15 database. But I prefer no migrate the SB character set to a MB character set. Is it possible to store the asian character in CLOB in a SB database ? tyia rjp It isn't. P15 doesn't include any non-european characters. -- Sybrand Bakker Senior Oracle DBA ok thank you for your answer Bye RJP On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 22:35:05 +0800, rjp wrote (in article <1123252505.148627.102400@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>): > ok > thank you for your answer > Bye > RJP > store the data in a BLOB, the data is no...

Compile inkscape on Solaris 10?
Has anyone managed to compile inkscape 0.43 on Solaris 10? If so any pointers would be appreciated. dasein ...

Solaris DVD for Flash Archive
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------030302020809070903070704 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hi, I am following the procedure for creating a Bootable Solaris 9 DVD given on http://www.sun.com/blueprints/0404/817-6991.pdf but my DVD does not configure the hostname. The sysidcfg I have used is system_locale=C timeserver=localhost network_interface=primary {netmask=255.255.255.0 default_route=none protocol_ipv6=no} terminal=v...

Single-threaded Proactor shows multiple Processes
Hello Ace Users: I am running a simple proactor server on a Redhat Linux machine using ACE 5.4. The Server does a very simple thing - it has several clients connected. The server reads a message 512 bytes from a client, and puts it in a global messages queue. Meanwhile it also gets messages from the global message queue and sends it to all the connected clients. This is done in a single thread - very crude way of doing it but it works. I do not spawn any threads or do any fork/exec. But when I see "ps -ef" on the shell, I see 'n' instances of these servers while ...