Need help with HP drive in an SS20

  Greetings!

   I've been playing around with a SparcServer 20 for the past month.
So far, I've got 2 CPUs, 384MB of RAM, and a serial/parallel card.

   The hard drive currently installed is a Seagate ST191700WC (9.1GB).
It boots Solaris 9 without any problems.

   Because the Seagate actually takes up the space for both drive bays,
I purchased an HP D4289 Drive off of eBay, which I was told was
compatable to the Seagate.  I think it's another version of the IBM
Ultrastar drive (DPSS-309170).

   From the Sun monitor, when I type "probe-scsi", I get a response
from the drive, but while printing out the drive info, the screen
clears, so all I see is a copyright notice from IBM.

   When I boot the Solaris install disk, it knows the drive is there,
but says that the drive is "unavailable".

   When quit to the shell and use the 'format' command, Solaris sees
the drive, but again says it is 'unavailable'.

   If I boot Solaris off my Seagate, I get the 'unavailable' message,
but once Solaris is fully loaded, it doesn't see the drive at all.
I've run Solaris Management Console, and can't see anything.

   Jumper information:  No SCSI ID is set - drive is set as
differential (not single-ended) - no auto start delay - spindle sync is
disabled

   Becuase it's status is 'unavailable', I suspect that the drive might
have been part of a RAID or hot-swap configuration.  I hope that means
it's a simple matter of running some program to make the drie
'available' again.

    I've tried Googling for information, but I'm not getting any
answers.  OTOH,  I could be asking the wrong questions  :-/

   I'd be grateful if anyone can point me in the right direction.
Thanks in advance!

Bob

comp.sys.sun.hardware 3600 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Buran_Fan wrote:
> Greetings!
>
>    I've been playing around with a SparcServer 20 for the past month.
> So far, I've got 2 CPUs, 384MB of RAM, and a serial/parallel card.
>
>    Jumper information:  No SCSI ID is set - drive is set as
> differential (not single-ended) - no auto start delay - spindle sync is
> disabled

There is no SPARC box I know of that has  internal  Differerntial SCSI.
All drives internal in a SparcServer 20 must be single-ended SCSI.

Differential drives belong in  the D1000  JBOD.  chassie.

//Lars

tunla wrote:
> Buran_Fan wrote:
>
>>Greetings!
>>
>>   I've been playing around with a SparcServer 20 for the past month.
>>So far, I've got 2 CPUs, 384MB of RAM, and a serial/parallel card.
>>
>>   Jumper information:  No SCSI ID is set - drive is set as
>>differential (not single-ended) - no auto start delay - spindle sync is
>>disabled
>>

> There is no SPARC box I know of that has  internal  Differerntial SCSI.
> All drives internal in a SparcServer 20 must be single-ended SCSI.
>
> Differential drives belong in  the D1000  JBOD.  chassie.
>
> //Lars

Differential is confusing in this case. Since high-voltage differential
(HVD) is very different and totally incompatible with the SS20, unless
you get an HVD sbus SCSI card.

However, most modern disk drives are low voltage differential (LVD), but
will automatically swap to single-ended (SE) in a system which is not
exclusively LVD. So the fact the drive is LVD means it will work fine in
an SS20. Had it been an HVD drive, then it would not.

--
Dave K

Buran_Fan wrote:
[...]
 > I purchased an HP D4289 Drive off of eBay, which I was told was
> compatable to the Seagate.  I think it's another version of the IBM
> Ultrastar drive (DPSS-309170).
>
>    From the Sun monitor, when I type "probe-scsi", I get a response
> from the drive, but while printing out the drive info, the screen
> clears, so all I see is a copyright notice from IBM.
[...]
>    When I boot the Solaris install disk, it knows the drive is there,
> but says that the drive is "unavailable".
 >
>    Jumper information:  No SCSI ID is set - drive is set as
> differential (not single-ended) - no auto start delay - spindle sync is
> disabled

Set the jumper to force single-ended operation. Some drives with
old controllers (such as is in the SS20) do not autonegotiate properly.

--
Bill Wyatt (REMOVE wyattthis at_cfa-harvard-edu) "remove this" for email
    Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory  (Cambridge, MA, USA)
tunla <lars.tunkrans@bredband.net> wrote:

>Buran_Fan wrote:
>> Greetings!
>>
>>    I've been playing around with a SparcServer 20 for the past month.
>> So far, I've got 2 CPUs, 384MB of RAM, and a serial/parallel card.
>>
>>    Jumper information:  No SCSI ID is set - drive is set as
>> differential (not single-ended) - no auto start delay - spindle sync is
>> disabled
>>

>There is no SPARC box I know of that has  internal  Differerntial SCSI.
>All drives internal in a SparcServer 20 must be single-ended SCSI.
>
>Differential drives belong in  the D1000  JBOD.  chassie.

One hopes that the drive is new enough to be Low-Voltage Differential, and
thus backwards compatible with Single-Ended SCSI.

    carl

--
    carl lowenstein         marine physical lab     u.c. san diego
                                                 clowenst@ucsd.edu
Buran_Fan wrote:
>   Greetings!
>
>    I've been playing around with a SparcServer 20 for the past month.
> So far, I've got 2 CPUs, 384MB of RAM, and a serial/parallel card.
>
>    The hard drive currently installed is a Seagate ST191700WC (9.1GB).
> It boots Solaris 9 without any problems.
>
>    Because the Seagate actually takes up the space for both drive bays,
> I purchased an HP D4289 Drive off of eBay, which I was told was
> compatable to the Seagate.  I think it's another version of the IBM
> Ultrastar drive (DPSS-309170).
>
>    From the Sun monitor, when I type "probe-scsi", I get a response
> from the drive, but while printing out the drive info, the screen
> clears, so all I see is a copyright notice from IBM.
>
>    When I boot the Solaris install disk, it knows the drive is there,
> but says that the drive is "unavailable".
>
>    When quit to the shell and use the 'format' command, Solaris sees
> the drive, but again says it is 'unavailable'.
>
>    If I boot Solaris off my Seagate, I get the 'unavailable' message,
> but once Solaris is fully loaded, it doesn't see the drive at all.
> I've run Solaris Management Console, and can't see anything.
>
>    Jumper information:  No SCSI ID is set - drive is set as
> differential (not single-ended) - no auto start delay - spindle sync is
> disabled
>
>    Becuase it's status is 'unavailable', I suspect that the drive might
> have been part of a RAID or hot-swap configuration.  I hope that means
> it's a simple matter of running some program to make the drie
> 'available' again.
>
>     I've tried Googling for information, but I'm not getting any
> answers.  OTOH,  I could be asking the wrong questions  :-/
>
>    I'd be grateful if anyone can point me in the right direction.
> Thanks in advance!
>

> Bob

Dave got you 1/2 way there. Remove the jumper from the differtial
setting. You want to the drive to toggle to SE mode. With some LVD's you
haveto force the drive SE mode. Your SS20 doesn't know about LVD, just
SE fast wide SCSI.
0
j.carver3 (3)
12/29/2005 4:24:31 AM
   Thanks for the tips, everyone.  I jumpered the pins that forced
the drive into single-ended mode. Still having problems, though.

   First, some more info:

   On IBM's site, I located the installation manual for the Ultrastar
series of drives (of which mine [DPSS-309170] is one).  The manual
says that the drives are Low Voltage Differential (LVD), which answers
one of the questions we had.

   The manual also has a compatability chart (Appendix C).  The chart
says that the DPSS models are compatable with the SparcStation 20
(yea!).

   Now, back to the install.  After forcing the drive into single-ended
mode, Solaris now says the drive is 'offline'.  Any idea how to make
the drive 'online?'

Bob

tunla <lars.tunkrans@bredband.net> wrote:

> There is no SPARC box I know of that has  internal  Differerntial SCSI.
> All drives internal in a SparcServer 20 must be single-ended SCSI.

> Differential drives belong in  the D1000  JBOD.  chassie.

Actually, while the D1000 has HVD on the external scsi port, the
internal disk connections are SE/LVD.  Same for A1000.  So don't put HVD
drives in it.

--
Darren Dunham                                           ddunham@taos.com
ddunham (283)
Carl Lowenstein <cdl@deeptow.ucsd.edu> wrote:
>In article <1135762268.689657.215360@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
>tunla <lars.tunkrans@bredband.net> wrote:
>>
>>Buran_Fan wrote:
>>> Greetings!
>>>
>>>    I've been playing around with a SparcServer 20 for the past month.
>>> So far, I've got 2 CPUs, 384MB of RAM, and a serial/parallel card.
>>>
>>>    Jumper information:  No SCSI ID is set - drive is set as
>>> differential (not single-ended) - no auto start delay - spindle sync is
>>> disabled
>>>

>>There is no SPARC box I know of that has  internal  Differerntial SCSI.
>>All drives internal in a SparcServer 20 must be single-ended SCSI.
>>
>>Differential drives belong in  the D1000  JBOD.  chassie.
>
>One hopes that the drive is new enough to be Low-Voltage Differential, and
>thus backwards compatible with Single-Ended SCSI.

Another thought:  were any old-style differential SCSI drives (so-called
HVD) ever manufactured with the 80-pin single-connector attachment (SCA)
that is used for the internal drives of the SS20?

I think the answer is "no", which makes the whole point moot.

    carl