Need SunOS software for Serial Parallel Controller

We recently unearthed an ancient SPARCstation 1 in order to develop a
new version of an old project.  Unfortunately, it has suffered terminal
disk failure in storage.  We have transplanted its 501-1931 Serial
Parallel Controller to a spare SPARCstation 2.  Unfortunately, we cannot
locate the SunOS 4.1 STC Driver/Install Script/Config Script "release
media" diskette in order to load it onto the "new" host. Can anybody
point me to a source for this driver/script software?

Thanks,
Randy Graves
Sonatech, Inc.

0
graves (2)
4/14/2004 9:46:42 PM
comp.sys.sun.hardware 3600 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Randy Graves <graves@sonatech.com> writes:

>We recently unearthed an ancient SPARCstation 1 in order to develop a
>new version of an old project.  Unfortunately, it has suffered terminal
>disk failure in storage.  We have transplanted its 501-1931 Serial
>Parallel Controller to a spare SPARCstation 2.  Unfortunately, we cannot
>locate the SunOS 4.1 STC Driver/Install Script/Config Script "release
>media" diskette in order to load it onto the "new" host. Can anybody
>point me to a source for this driver/script software?

Install Solaris 2.6 or 7 (and possibly 8), and the driver for the
501-1931 SPC card comes bundled with the operating system.

  -Greg
--
Do NOT reply via e-mail.
Reply in the newsgroup.
Greg Andrews wrote:

> Randy Graves <graves@sonatech.com> writes:
>
>>We recently unearthed an ancient SPARCstation 1 in order to develop a
>>new version of an old project.  Unfortunately, it has suffered terminal
>>disk failure in storage.  We have transplanted its 501-1931 Serial
>>Parallel Controller to a spare SPARCstation 2.  Unfortunately, we cannot
>>locate the SunOS 4.1 STC Driver/Install Script/Config Script "release
>>media" diskette in order to load it onto the "new" host. Can anybody
>>point me to a source for this driver/script software?
>>

> Install Solaris 2.6 or 7 (and possibly 8), and the driver for the
> 501-1931 SPC card comes bundled with the operating system.
>
>   -Greg

Thanks for the suggestion, but our existing application won't run on
Solaris 2.*, since it relies on SunOS BSD idiosyncrasies.  Any other
suggestions, given that constraint?

0
graves (2)
4/14/2004 11:09:23 PM
Randy Graves <graves@sonatech.com> writes:

> Greg Andrews wrote:
>
> > Randy Graves <graves@sonatech.com> writes:
> >

> >> We recently unearthed an ancient SPARCstation 1 in order to develop
> >> a new version of an old project.  Unfortunately, it has suffered
> >> terminal disk failure in storage.  We have transplanted its
> >> 501-1931 Serial Parallel Controller to a spare SPARCstation 2.
> >> Unfortunately, we cannot locate the SunOS 4.1 STC Driver/Install
> >> Script/Config Script "release media" diskette in order to load it
> >> onto the "new" host. Can anybody point me to a source for this
> >> driver/script software?
>

> > Install Solaris 2.6 or 7 (and possibly 8), and the driver for the
>
> > 501-1931 SPC card comes bundled with the operating system.
> >   -Greg
>

> Thanks for the suggestion, but our existing application won't run on
> Solaris 2.*, since it relies on SunOS BSD idiosyncrasies.  Any other
> suggestions, given that constraint?

What are those idiosyncrasies?

Solaris 2 has a SunOS 4 binary compatibility mode, with SunOS 4
libraries, and will run SunOS 4 binaries as is, unless they do
something peculiar.

Have you actually tried to run it on Solaris 2?

Cheers,
Thomas
0
thomas95 (41)