Network Time Protocol (NTP) for NonStop

Has anyone used ntp on NonStop?  HP has ported this for the OSS target.
 I know Bowden systems sells NSK-NTP, but I am wondering if anyone has
used the open-source version.

Thanks in advance.

comp.sys.tandem 2360 articles. 2 followers. Post Follow

NonStopForEver wrote:
> Has anyone used ntp on NonStop?  HP has ported this for the OSS target.
>  I know Bowden systems sells NSK-NTP, but I am wondering if anyone has
> used the open-source version.
>
> Thanks in advance.

We use a product written by a german guy.  It only acts as a client but
does the job.  If you wany some details then PM me.

Hi Mark.

Is this the C code that gets the time from a NIST server and then uses
the SETSYSTEMCLOCK procedure?

NTP ( Network Time protocol ) With Ingres
Does somebody use NTP ( ntpdate or xntpd ) with Ingres. Officialy NTP is not compatible with Ingres. Thanks. Bruno. At 11:34 AM 7/18/2003 +0200, Bruno Wipier wrote: >Does somebody use NTP ( ntpdate or xntpd ) with Ingres. Officialy NTP is not >compatible with Ingres. > >Thanks. > >Bruno. Bruno, I guess I'm a bit flustered. Is there some list of UNIX utilities that are or are not "compatible" with Ingres? NTP merely keeps your clock in sync, usually within milliseconds of the 'master'. Is Ingres not compatible with the correct time? ;-) Or are you running Ingres 6.4 and you are manually dealing with Day Light Savings Time? In that case, you might be fudging with the system clock and/or time zone. I wouldn't run NTP in that case, unless you learn to configure it to your rules. By the way, DLST is evil. Where, pray tell, is this "official" non-compatibility posted? Cheers, Michael Leo mleo@cariboulake.com Java, J2EE, .NET Caribou Lake Software http://www.cariboulake.com Oracle, Ingres, So much style without substance, so much stuff without style. It's hard to recognize the real thing. It comes along once in a while. - Grand Designs, Power Windows, Rush ...

RE: NTP ( Network Time protocol ) With Ingres
Bruno, Our servers (HPUX10.20 OpenIngres 1.2) have been running NTP for years without a problem. (Currently version ntp-4.0.99j) Maybe we have been lucky. Richard > ---------- > From: Bruno Wipier[SMTP:bruno.wipier_nospam_@free.fr] > Sent: 18 July 2003 10:34 > To: info-ingres@ams.org > Subject: NTP ( Network Time protocol ) With Ingres > > Does somebody use NTP ( ntpdate or xntpd ) with Ingres. Officialy NTP is > not > compatible with Ingres. > > Thanks. > > Bruno. > > > > ________________________________________________________________________ > This e-mail has been scanned for all viruses by Star Internet. The > service is powered by MessageLabs. For more information on a proactive > anti-virus service working around the clock, around the globe, visit: > http://www.star.net.uk > ________________________________________________________________________ > ________________________________________________________________________ This e-mail has been scanned for all viruses by Star Internet. The service is powered by MessageLabs. For more information on a proactive anti-virus service working around the clock, around the globe, visit: http://www.star.net.uk ________________________________________________________________________ ...

Re: NTP ( Network Time protocol ) With Ingres #6
By the way, even though most servers I meet can't keep time to save a life, my 4-year-old Powerbook G3 laptop will generally hold time to within a few seconds every couple months. Even the ancient (9-year-old) Performa 6110 that we just retired could keep time better than my Ultra 2 can. -- Karl R. Schendel, Jr. schendel@kbcomputer.com K/B Computer Associates www.kbcomputer.com Ingres, Unix, VMS Consulting and Training ...

RE: NTP ( Network Time protocol ) With Ingres #2
> At 11:34 AM 7/18/2003 +0200, Bruno Wipier wrote: > >Does somebody use NTP ( ntpdate or xntpd ) with Ingres. > Officialy NTP is not > >compatible with Ingres. > > > >Thanks. > > > >Bruno. > > Bruno, > > I guess I'm a bit flustered. Is there some list of > UNIX utilities that are or are not "compatible" with > Ingres? > > NTP merely keeps your clock in sync, usually within > milliseconds of the 'master'. > > Is Ingres not compatible with the correct time? ;-) We don't support changing the system clock whilst ingres is running, especially if it goes backwards. It will affect timestamps on journal records as well as any user data created with date('now') etc. From the man page of ntpdate, if the time is out of sync by < 0.5 sec then it will adjust it by calling adjtime, which doesn't actually change the clock it merely speeds it up or slows it down slightly until the time is back in sync. This method should be ok because it means that the time is always increasing as it should. If the difference is > 0.5 sec then it will set the time by calling settimeofday. This should be avoided while ingres is running, and if the time is set backwards then ingres should really be kept down long enough for the new clock time to overtake the old. The point about 6.4 and DST is a good one. HTH Paul Mason At 04:37 PM 7/18/2003 +010...

RE: NTP ( Network Time protocol ) With Ingres #8
This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. ------_=_NextPart_001_01C35026.97706250 Content-Type: text/plain The only thing wrong with daylight saving in the uk is the fact the don't jump 2 hours ahead! Who cares if it's light at 4.30 am, apart from the whinging farmers of course. Oh, and not forgetting that daylight saving is an absurd concept. It's not as though you can put it in the bank and withdraw it when you like "Yes bank clerk, I'd like to withdraw an extra hour of daylight in my garden tonight". Of course, in the UK it's referred to as British Summer Time, which makes you want to break into an MC Hammer song just without the baggy trousers and cucumber sandwiches instead... -----Original Message----- From: Karl & Betty Schendel [mailto:schendel@kbcomputer.com] Sent: 21 July 2003 17:27 To: info-ingres@ams.org Subject: Re: NTP ( Network Time protocol ) With Ingres At 11:07 AM -0500 7/21/03, Michael Leo wrote: > >Can it be that tough to solder a digital watch (joking) >on the corner of the motherboard and not let it be bothered >by interrupts. How much are digital watches nowadays? >How much are 8-way servers? Actually I think Sun's (at least) are supposed to have some kind of RTC clock chip that does just that. I dunno why they don't seem to work very well. > >Then the...

Re: NTP ( Network Time protocol ) With Ingres #3
Bruno Wipier wrote: > > Thanks for this informations but i don't know what to do ! I > think i'm going to run "ntpdate" when the database has little > activity.( the night after a ckpdb ). Hi Bruno, what is the scale of your clock drift? IMO "little and often" is the best policy for using ntpdate - you don't want to run it to correct large time differences, and, as it over-corrects anyway, it might be (very slightly) counter- productive to do so - for instance, if the time is 10 secs. slow, and you run ntpdate to correct this large inaccuracy, then you might end up with a time 5 seconds fast! Anyway, as I mentioned we run "ntpdate -Bs" daily on some quite busy systems, and I have never seen a problem caused by it. If I were you, I'd set it up to "step" the time at next boot, or when Ingres is stopped if this is otherwise acceptable, and then run -Bs every so often. It is well worth having at least two NTP servers as reference. -- Erratic News-Swervers R us! Ingres, yeah baby, yeah!!! Oh, behave!! ________________________________________________________________ Sent via the PAXemail system at paxemail.com ...

RE: NTP ( Network Time protocol ) With Ingres #7
> From: Michael Leo > > > > > >This is a difficult restriction. Many of us need our > systems to be > > >kept in sync, and almost every platform I have used drifts > seconds per > > >day. > > > >Why is that btw? Why is it that a cheap digital watch can keep time > >better than an expensive computer? I know it's a cliched > joke but does > >anyone know why? > > I've always wondered this myself. I'm and Electrical Engineer > and used to design a bit of hardware myself. I don't get why this > happens. Drives me wacko. > It looks like it's a temperature thing, as suggested by Richard, http://www.futurlec.com/News/Dallas/Crystal.html <snip> > > > - All "sequenced" things within Ingres should not rely > on time but > > instead > > > use a generated sequenced key. > > > >They do. The logging system uses Log Sequence Numbers which do not > >depend on the system clock. > > Cool. Makes me feel better. > > >It's just that journal records also have a timestamp so you can run > >auditdb and rollforward to a point in time. If, because of time > >adjustments, we can have multiple journal records for the same point > >in time then it makes that tricky. > > > >Maybe we should have rollforward based on LSNs but that...

Re: NTP ( Network Time protocol ) With Ingres #4
Paul Mason wrote: > Why is it that a cheap digital watch can keep time better than > an expensive computer? Well, a cheap digital watch does not have so much to think about! (You've just reminded me of Mr. Prosser, for some reason ( <http://tinyurl.com/hkde> ) ). Still, the basic principle is the same - oscillator frequency variation will make some difference. There may be some issue with lost clock interrupts, AFAIR. Each clock interrupt causes the kernel to increment the time (by 10 milli- seconds, 1/100 second?), so a higher priority interrupt causing a missed clock interrupt would result in time slippage. This is all a long time ago, and I can't remember whether that is for an old mainframe, or a Sun system. It probably doesn't matter, anyway - my 1st. Law of Computing - "all computers are the same computer". Oh, I think temperature has some issue on clock speed, too. This *is* irritating, I may have to go and look it up! -- Erratic News-Swervers R us! Ingres, yeah baby, yeah!!! Oh, behave!! ________________________________________________________________ Sent via the PAXemail system at paxemail.com ...

RE: NTP ( Network Time protocol ) With Ingres #5
> From: Ingres, yeah baby!! [mailto:Use-Author-Address-Header@[127.1]] > Paul Mason wrote: > > Why is it that a cheap digital watch can keep time better than > > an expensive computer? > > Well, a cheap digital watch does not have so much to think > about! (You've just reminded me of Mr. Prosser, for some > reason ( <http://tinyurl.com/hkde> ) ). Still, the basic > principle is the same - oscillator frequency variation > will make some difference. There may be some issue with > lost clock interrupts, AFAIR. Each clock interrupt causes > the kernel to increment the time (by 10 milli- seconds, > 1/100 second?), so a higher priority interrupt causing a > missed clock interrupt would result in time slippage. > This is all a long time ago, and I can't remember whether > that is for an old mainframe, or a Sun system. It probably > doesn't matter, anyway - my 1st. Law of Computing - "all > computers are the same computer". Oh, I think temperature > has some issue on clock speed, too. This *is* irritating, > I may have to go and look it up! > Can't we just do something like hook up a cheap digital watch to motherboard so it has it's own internal 'time-server' that it can sync against periodically. Then all you'd need is the equivalent of ntpdate in firmware, set to run regularly enough so it never has to 'step' the time, give it a fr...

Network time protocol (NTP) client configuration help needed urgently
Hi, I want to configure my redhat linux 8 machines for Network time protocol(NTP) clients and my NTP server will be in solaris 8 machine.How to configure NTP client in redhat linux 8.Please help me in this.I am in need of urgent. Thanks in advance Regards In article <9b27068c.0306262214.1470f0f9@posting.google.com>, sridhar wrote: > Hi, > > I want to configure my redhat linux 8 machines for Network time > protocol(NTP) clients and my NTP server will be in solaris 8 > machine.How to configure NTP client in redhat linux 8.Please help me > in this.I am in need of urge...

Fwd: [ntpwg] RFC 5908 on Network Time Protocol (NTP) Server Option for DHCPv6
-------- Original Message -------- Subject: [ntpwg] RFC 5908 on Network Time Protocol (NTP) Server Option for DHCPv6 Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 15:58:03 -0700 (PDT) From: rfc-editor@rfc-editor.org To: ietf-announce@ietf.org, rfc-dist@rfc-editor.org CC: ntpwg@lists.ntp.org, rfc-editor@rfc-editor.org A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries. RFC 5908 Title: Network Time Protocol (NTP) Server Option for DHCPv6 Author: R. Gayraud, B. Lourdelet Status: Standards Track Stream: IETF Date...

[rfc-dist] RFC 5908 on Network Time Protocol (NTP) Server Option for DHCPv6
A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries. RFC 5908 Title: Network Time Protocol (NTP) Server Option for DHCPv6 Author: R. Gayraud, B. Lourdelet Status: Standards Track Stream: IETF Date: June 2010 Mailbox: richard.gayraud@free.fr, blourdel@cisco.com Pages: 9 Characters: 17452 Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso: None I-D Tag: draft-ietf-ntp-dhcpv6-ntp-opt-06.txt URL: http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5908.txt The NTP Server Option for Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol for IPv6 (DHCPv6) provides NTPv4 (Network Time Protocol version 4) server location information to DHCPv6 hosts. [STANDARDS TRACK] This document is a product of the Network Time Protocol Working Group of the IETF. This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol. STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions for improvements. Please refer to the current edition of the Internet Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and status of this protocol. Distribution of this memo is unlimited. This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists. To subscribe or unsubscribe, see http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce http:...

APC Network Management Cards Network Time Protocol Support NOT!
This is a little off the topic of Cisco equipment but I'm sure a lot of people on this newsgroup use APC equipment in their networks. We have several APC AP9617 Network Management Cards in UPS's and external enclosures for doing UPS and environmental monitoring. You can configure these cards to sync their time to an NTP time source (I have ours syncing to the nearest Cisco router) but there is one glaring problem: the firmware doesn't support automatic daylight savings time changes. This means that although the time is within milliseconds of being accurate it could be an hour out ...

Fwd: [ntpwg] RFC 5905 on Network Time Protocol Version 4: Protocol and Algorithms Specification
-------- Original Message -------- Subject: [ntpwg] RFC 5905 on Network Time Protocol Version 4: Protocol and Algorithms Specification Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 15:56:06 -0700 (PDT) From: rfc-editor@rfc-editor.org To: ietf-announce@ietf.org, rfc-dist@rfc-editor.org CC: ntpwg@lists.ntp.org, rfc-editor@rfc-editor.org A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries. RFC 5905 Title: Network Time Protocol Version 4: Protocol and Algorithms Specification Author: D. Mills, J. Martin, Ed., J. Burbank, W. K...

[rfc-dist] RFC 5905 on Network Time Protocol Version 4: Protocol and Algorithms Specification
A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries. RFC 5905 Title: Network Time Protocol Version 4: Protocol and Algorithms Specification Author: D. Mills, J. Martin, Ed., J. Burbank, W. Kasch Status: Standards Track Stream: IETF Date: June 2010 Mailbox: mills@udel.edu, jrmii@isc.org, jack.burbank@jhuapl.edu, william.kasch@jhuapl.edu Pages: 110 Characters: 241096 Obsoletes: RFC1305, RFC4330 I-D Tag: draft-ietf-ntp-ntpv4-proto-13.txt URL: http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5905.txt The Network Time Protocol (NTP) is widely used to synchronize computer clocks in the Internet. This document describes NTP version 4 (NTPv4), which is backwards compatible with NTP version 3 (NTPv3), described in RFC 1305, as well as previous versions of the protocol. NTPv4 includes a modified protocol header to accommodate the Internet Protocol version 6 address family. NTPv4 includes fundamental improvements in the mitigation and discipline algorithms that extend the potential accuracy to the tens of microseconds with modern workstations and fast LANs. It includes a dynamic server discovery scheme, so that in many cases, specific server configuration is not required. It corrects certain errors in the NTPv3 desi...

Network time out due to NTP
Hi, We have Windows 2003, Apple Mac OS X, Windows XP Pro, running on our LAN and we are getting time out network on our. Actually since long time we felt there is some problem in our local area network then we use Ethereal - packet sniffing software to fetch the network traffic and while monitoring we saw there are lots of packets going around of NTP on LAN following detail we got from Ethereal software: Sequence of bulk request of NTP protocol: Source (our LAN IP) to Destination (other LAN IP) Protocol (NTP) Info (NTP) How can I stop bulk NTP packets on our network any help would be appre...

Network Time Protocol Query ???
Hello All ! I am new to Linux and I want to know how to get time from timeservers using network time protocol (NTP) ? can anyone know, reply to me..... Thanx By S.S.G None wrote: > Hello All ! > > I am new to Linux and I want to know how to get time from timeservers > using network time protocol (NTP) ? > > can anyone know, reply to me..... Start with: <http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~ntp/ntpfaq/NTP-a-faq.htm>. Next time, please use Google first and follow the leads. The tool to initially set the date and time is ntpdate. -- Tauno Voipio tauno voipio (at) iki fi...

Network time protocol Sync Problem
I am running version 2.4.20-18.7 and have tried to sync to several time servers but always get the same failed response. root# /usr/sbin/ntpdate -u ntp-wustl.usno.navy.mil root# 27 Jul 19:45:53 ntpdate[10999]: no server suitable for synchronization found Any ideas why this command fails? It's not just this server but ANY I try. Thanks |I am running version 2.4.20-18.7 and have tried to sync to several time |servers but always get the same failed response. | |root# /usr/sbin/ntpdate -u ntp-wustl.usno.navy.mil | |root# 27 Jul 19:45:53 ntpdate[10999]: no server suitable for |synchro...

M$Windows and ntp (and other time protocols)
Looking for timeserv to sync a M$nt4 machine, I found this doucment at MicroSoft: http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/docs/wintimeserv.doc. It nicely states (official?) details about M$Windows and time sync. Is there a faq or such where this pointer / information can be added? CBee CBee wrote: > Looking for timeserv to sync a M$nt4 machine, I found this doucment at > MicroSoft: http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/docs/wintimeserv.doc. > It nicely states (official?) details about M$Windows and time sync. > > Is there a faq or such where this pointer / information can be...

Network time to C time
Network time uses 1900 as its base. The C time library uses 1970. I want to convert a network time value to a C library time. I.e. I have to subtract the number of seconds from 1900 to 1970. Is there any library function to do this? Thanks. Andrew Chalk wrote: > > Network time uses 1900 as its base. The C time library uses 1970. > I want to convert a network time value to a C library time. I.e. > I have to subtract the number of seconds from 1900 to 1970. Is > there any library function to do this? For heavens sake, why? That number is a constant. Just subtract it. And...

Does vi-server all times uses a network-protocoll
Does the vi-server function uses all time a network protocoll (tcp/ip), even the function is only used in the same LabVIEW-application or EXE? &nbsp; Question behind: If I have a lot of "real" network-traffic on my machine, does that&nbsp;affect the performance of vi-server? &nbsp; I know, that if I use vi-server to communicate with other application/EXE on the same or a remote machine it uses TCP/IP, but I'm not shure if it also uses it if TPC/IP is disabled to block remote connection. Hi zav, Are you using a Windows machine? If yes, then local connections to the V...

LAN and a local NTP server (time protocol)
Is there a way to have a group of networked computers access one of the computers in the LAN to synchronize their time? I don't want these computers to have internet access, but I would like them all to be set to the same time (even if it isn't exactly the same as the atomic clock at the Naval Observatory). Can I set up one computer to be an NTP server and the others access it for setting each computers time? I'm currently using OSX jaguar. I used to have a client-server database that would set the time on each client as it accessed the database. However with OSX only the root...

Network Time Protocol for the Vehicle modem monitor
Does anyone have any insight into how Network Time Protocol works with the Vehicle Modem Monitor (VMM wmc6300)? I've been having some issue in changing the computer clock. I'm wondering if this issue has to do with the tablet I'm using or is it the NTP within the VMM. ELB _______________________________________________ questions mailing list questions@lists.ntp.isc.org https://lists.ntp.isc.org/mailman/listinfo/questions ...

Re: [ntp:questions] Re: How application get precise time from Win NT/XP system time that synchronies to NTP
----- Original Message Follows ----- > Martin, > > If my application polls the system time once every tick, i.e. 10 > millisecond, can I get nanosecond resolution and accuracy that NTP can > provide? > The simple answer is no way. The more complicated answer is that you would need an real atomic clock directly connected on a machine running a realtime O/S with absolutely no other processes that the absolute essential ones. Windows wouldn't even be in the picture here, it's not designed for what you are asking. What exactly are you trying to do and why? A little ex...

Web resources about - Network Time Protocol (NTP) for NonStop - comp.sys.tandem

List of parties to the Kyoto Protocol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Signing is optional, indicating an intention to ratify the Protocol. Ratification means that an Annex I party (e.g. a developed country or one ...

Jarryd Hayne's return to San Francisco 49ers line-up may hinge on NFL's strict concussion protocol
After suffering a concussion in the disastrous loss to Cleveland, the man standing in Jarryd Hayne's way could find he has no choice but to sit ...

Open Door Society changes hotel pool protocols after refugee, 13, nearly drowns in Saskatoon
The Lifesaving Society, which has been offering swimming lessons and pool safety classes for refugees for years, says many newcomers to Canada ...

Common payment processing protocols found to be full of flaws
Stealing PINs and pillaging bank accounts are both trivial.

NFL Considering Changes to Officiating Protocol for Playoffs - Bleacher Report
With the NFL officials under the microscope more than ever, the league is contemplating making changes to officiating protocol for the postseason... ...

Theme parks add extra safety protocols - Videos - CBS News
Major U.S. theme parks across the country, including Disney, SeaWorld and Universal Studios, are tightening security measures at entry gates. ...

IDG Contributor Network: OAuth 2.0: The protocol at the center of the universe
I am writing this article on the iPad Mini using the Editorial app. This app is connected to my Dropbox account and automatically synchronizes ...

'Routine,' 'standard,' and 'protocol' for police usually means overkill for black folks
A neighbor sees someone who may be breaking into a home. Civic-minded and filled with neighborly concern, the witness dials 911 and asks police ...