Dialup BBS

Okay, so this question may sound completely absurd to any modern day
computer user EXCEPT the fine men and women in this group :-)

Does anyone know of a dial up BBS in the U.S. that will still connect
at 300 baud (yes, I said "baud" :-) ?  I've got an old Tandy 600 and
am trying to see if I can get it to connect to a BBS.  My luck so far
has been that it attempts to connect and then it aborts.  I'm guessing
that not too many modern modems would connect at 300bps.

I would love some ideas and experiences if anyone has anything to
share.

Thanks all.

Daniel
0
tandyclassics
7/16/2008 3:19:59 PM
comp.sys.tandy 1799 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

I would think that any modem would back down all the way to 300 baud...but
of course I've never tried it, so I can't say for sure.  Seemed to me that
every modem spec sheet I saw seemed to include about anything...  Kinda like
how I can still boot DOS and run Windows 3.1 on my Pentium-4 PC.

Seems to me the biggest problem would be finding a BBS to dial up to...  :-)
Or rather make that :-(    Seems like even the few telnet ones that have
been around are disappearing.  Though I'll have to honestly say I've not
gone searching recently.

Wesley

"tandyclassics" <tandy600@mac.com> wrote in message
> Okay, so this question may sound completely absurd to any modern day
> computer user EXCEPT the fine men and women in this group :-)
>
> Does anyone know of a dial up BBS in the U.S. that will still connect
> at 300 baud (yes, I said "baud" :-) ?  I've got an old Tandy 600 and
> am trying to see if I can get it to connect to a BBS.  My luck so far
> has been that it attempts to connect and then it aborts.  I'm guessing
> that not too many modern modems would connect at 300bps.
>
> I would love some ideas and experiences if anyone has anything to
> share.
>
> Thanks all.
>
> Daniel

0
Wesley
7/23/2008 1:39:48 AM
On Wed, 23 Jul 2008, Wesley wrote:

> I would think that any modem would back down all the way to 300 baud...but
> of course I've never tried it, so I can't say for sure.  Seemed to me that
> every modem spec sheet I saw seemed to include about anything...  Kinda like
> how I can still boot DOS and run Windows 3.1 on my Pentium-4 PC.
>
> Seems to me the biggest problem would be finding a BBS to dial up to...  :-)
> Or rather make that :-(    Seems like even the few telnet ones that have
> been around are disappearing.  Though I'll have to honestly say I've not
> gone searching recently.
>
> Wesley

I seem to recall there is a way of locking out lower speeds, and I would
really expect ISPs to generally do that (either because I've read that
they do or because it would be so sluggish at 300baud, I don't know
which).

A real BBS isn't likely to fuss with such restrictions, since they
aren't likely to deal in large files.

You're right, finding one is likely to be a big issue.  The oldest
BBS locally is still there, or was the last time I checked a few
months ago, but it's been years since it had dial up.  In its prime,
it had three phone lines, and kept a list of local BBS's.  That list
hasn't been updated since 1997.  ANd the phone lines slowly dropped off,
telnet having been added almost a decade ago. There was a message up a few
years ago saying it would end on such a date, but it kept on going.  If
the computer fails, it isn't likely that the BBS will continue, and I
don't think the sysop is giving it much attention (though the BBS doesn't
seem to need much attention).

I have no clue what other BBSs are still in operation locally.  In the old
days, you'd often hear about them because you were connected to a BBS, but
without one to start with that "network" is gone.  And in the old days,
one could get a bit of press if you started a BBS, and of course there
were those lists that got printed in various places.  No, anyone trying
to get some press would likely get a puzzled look, "what's a BBS?".

    Michael

> "tandyclassics" <tandy600@mac.com> wrote in message
>> Okay, so this question may sound completely absurd to any modern day
>> computer user EXCEPT the fine men and women in this group :-)
>>
>> Does anyone know of a dial up BBS in the U.S. that will still connect
>> at 300 baud (yes, I said "baud" :-) ?  I've got an old Tandy 600 and
>> am trying to see if I can get it to connect to a BBS.  My luck so far
>> has been that it attempts to connect and then it aborts.  I'm guessing
>> that not too many modern modems would connect at 300bps.
>>
>> I would love some ideas and experiences if anyone has anything to
>> share.
>>
>> Thanks all.
>>
>> Daniel

0
Michael
7/23/2008 2:45:40 AM
  To: tandyclassics
 > Does anyone know of a dial up BBS in the U.S. that will still connect
 > at 300 baud (yes, I said "baud" :-) ?  I've got an old Tandy 600 and
 > am trying to see if I can get it to connect to a BBS.  My luck so far
 > has been that it attempts to connect and then it aborts.  I'm guessing that
 > not too many modern modems would connect at 300bps.

Until a few months ago I used to run one on a VOIP line but it was too flaky.
Now I use the same VOIP line for outgoing calls (works better for some reason)
to a local non-profit ISP.  This ISP not only offers PPP but shell accounts.
So I can use my Model 4 to dial the shell account (once logged in it puts you
into the Lynx browser) and then from there telnet to any telnetable BBS.

The ISP is called Chebucto Community Net (www.chebucto.ns.ca) and is based out
of Halifax, Nova Scotia. Obviously that'll be long distance for you but maybe
you have a good long distance plan.  Or maybe there is a similar non-profit
ISP in your area. See http://www.synchro.net/sbbslist.html for a long list of
telnettable BBSes.

Regards,
Doug
--
The Ville - Where 8-bits meet 32.   Internet: web, telnet, ssh, ftp, gopher
FidoNet: 1:255/36                        URL: theville.vintagecomputing.net
<wesf@rica.net> wrote:

>I would think that any modem would back down all the way to 300 baud...but
>of course I've never tried it, so I can't say for sure.  Seemed to me that
>every modem spec sheet I saw seemed to include about anything...  Kinda like
>how I can still boot DOS and run Windows 3.1 on my Pentium-4 PC.
>
>Seems to me the biggest problem would be finding a BBS to dial up to...  :-)
>Or rather make that :-(    Seems like even the few telnet ones that have
>been around are disappearing.  Though I'll have to honestly say I've not
>gone searching recently.

If it were me, I'd put a modem back into my PC (although I'd have to dig
pretty deep into the junkpile to find any kind of modem) and set it to
auto-answer with a simple terminal emulator.  It's not a BBS, but it's
enough to verify a working modem connection.

You'd need a 2nd landline to do the dial-and-answer thing, but IIRC reading
in my Hayes manual that it was possible to connect two modems using an RJ11
cable, thus forming a serial link without requiring a POTS network.  Of
course this arrangement cannot generate the signals needed to spur the
auto-answer modem, but you could still manually trigger the answering modem
(the "ATA" command, I think).  Wikipedia has a page with the common Hayes
modem command set.

Good grief, this brings back memories...some of my earliest modem
experiences involved the Color Computer Serial Adapter Program Pak attached
to a Hayes Smartmodem 300, and quickly realizing just how much the pak's
included terminal emulator sucked.  It ran in native 32x16 text mode, and
could not keep up with a 300 bps connection.  I had better luck writing my
own in BASIC.  Later I wrote one in pure assembler.  It drove a 42x24(?)
graphical text display, and easily kept pace with the serial port's maximum
9600bps on that mighty 0.89MHz 8-bit processor.  Good times, good times....

-Scott
0
nobody
7/24/2008 3:12:38 AM
>"tandyclassics" <tandy600@mac.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone know of a dial up BBS in the U.S. that will still connect
> at 300 baud (yes, I said "baud" :-) ?  I've got an old Tandy 600 and
> am trying to see if I can get it to connect to a BBS.  My luck so far
> has been that it attempts to connect and then it aborts.  I'm guessing
> that not too many modern modems would connect at 300bps.

Most of the dialup networks out there do not support anything slower than
9600 BPS and require PPP.  However, there is at least sdf.lonestar.org
that supports login at 1200 bps in most area codes in the USA.  As far as
doing 300bps or slower, you'll probably need to find very specific to
that.

0
martians
7/28/2008 2:47:26 AM
"Trash80" <trash80@theville.vintagecomputing.net.remove-kr7-this>
wrote
in news:48871801.882.tandy@theville.vintagecomputing.net:

>   To: tandyclassics
> > Does anyone know of a dial up BBS in the U.S. that will still
> > connect at 300 baud (yes, I said "baud" :-) ?  I've got an old
Tandy
> > 600 and am trying to see if I can get it to connect to a BBS.  My
> > luck so far has been that it attempts to connect and then it
aborts.
> >  I'm guessing that not too many modern modems would connect at
> > 300bps.
>
> Until a few months ago I used to run one on a VOIP line but it was
too
> flaky.  Now I use the same VOIP line for outgoing calls (works
better
> for some reason) to a local non-profit ISP.  This ISP not only
offers
> PPP but shell accounts.  So I can use my Model 4 to dial the shell
> account (once logged in it puts you into the Lynx browser) and then
> from there telnet to any telnetable BBS.
>
> The ISP is called Chebucto Community Net (www.chebucto.ns.ca) and is
> based out of Halifax, Nova Scotia. Obviously that'll be long
distance
> for you but maybe you have a good long distance plan.  Or maybe
there
> is a similar non-profit ISP in your area. See
> http://www.synchro.net/sbbslist.html for a long list of telnettable
> BBSes.
>
> Regards,
> Doug
> --
> The Ville - Where 8-bits meet 32.   Internet: web, telnet, ssh, ftp,
> gopher FidoNet: 1:255/36                        URL:
> theville.vintagecomputing.net --- Synchronet 3.15a-Linux NewsLink
1.88
>  *  The Ville - Lower Sackville, NS -
>  telnet://theville.vintagecomputing.net

Just curious, are you dialing in at 300baud? What kind of modem are
you
using? TIA Mo
0
Elmo
8/21/2008 6:37:07 AM
"Elmo" <ghostlymo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "Trash80" <trash80@theville.vintagecomputing.net.remove-kr7-this>
> wrote
> in news:48871801.882.tandy@theville.vintagecomputing.net:
>
>>   To: tandyclassics
>> > Does anyone know of a dial up BBS in the U.S. that will still
>> > connect at 300 baud (yes, I said "baud" :-) ?  I've got an old
> Tandy
>> > 600 and am trying to see if I can get it to connect to a BBS.  My
>> > luck so far has been that it attempts to connect and then it
> aborts.
>
> Just curious, are you dialing in at 300baud? What kind of modem are
> you
> using? TIA Mo

The Tandy 600's internal modem is 300 baud max, I think, like the Model 100.
I used it some for BBSing back in the early 90's (and it was considered
antique then). At least at 300 baud, you don't need a buffer, because you
can read the text faster than it can be displayed. :)

-- R Flowers

"R Flowers" <rflowers@TheGoogleOne.com> wrote in

> "Elmo" <ghostlymo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> "Trash80" <trash80@theville.vintagecomputing.net.remove-kr7-this>
>> wrote
>> in news:48871801.882.tandy@theville.vintagecomputing.net:
>>
>>>   To: tandyclassics
>> Tandy
My
>> aborts.
>>
>> Just curious, are you dialing in at 300baud? What kind of modem are
>> you
>> using? TIA Mo
>
> The Tandy 600's internal modem is 300 baud max, I think, like the
> Model 100. I used it some for BBSing back in the early 90's (and it
> was considered antique then). At least at 300 baud, you don't need a
> buffer, because you can read the text faster than it can be
displayed.
> :)
>
> -- R Flowers

Thats true! I was dialing into the Club100 BBS until last October when
they finally shut it down. Sad... I am really considering putting up
my own 300 baud BBS just for the comp.sys.tandy and
comp.sys.atari.8bit crowd. I need to do some renovation to my computer
room before I get a heavy setup going here...roof leaks..lol
~Mo
0
Elmo