Tandy TRS-80 Model 1 cable wrongfully fitted to RS232, no boot?

Hi,

Today I've rescued a complete Tandy TRS-80 Model 1 with RS232 interface and modded Tandy monitor (now having a disk drive).

The Tandy and RS232 are both heavy modified. The old owner could tell me it has a High Grafics mode, memory expansion and double density mod. Next to this I also found schematics of RTC clock, a stop flicker fix, lowercase characters.

I opened the machine and it's a mess of cables and piggy backed mods. Also I found a Z80 CPU so it's probably running faster too.

My problem is, the things doesn't boot. When I turn on the machine (with or without RS232 interface) I get a lot of characters on the screen, but nothing more. About 50% of the time it is in 'high resolution', the other times are just big letters.

Any idea of what's wrong with this oldie and if I can be revived?

Up until a month ago the machine did boot up without RS232 interface and before that the interface worked (but that's > 10 years ago). I'm not sure if the old owner did try to connect the RS232 to the machine.

Photo I made today: https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/12651322_1029784760415486_6197670391314019514_n.jpg?oh=a2092d74375e3bd5e6e2e7e0ebd79957&oe=5730BE64&__gda__=1463001043_b92e7e228001498d84d46b39fb34137d

I hope this one can be saved, even only to see all the mods made to this machine.

signed,
Bart
0
whizzi
2/8/2016 11:33:33 PM
comp.sys.tandy 1799 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

whizzi@gmail.com wrote:

> Any idea of what's wrong with this oldie and if I can be revived?

I'm guessing that the problem is `too many mods'.

Have you tried removing the expansion interface to see if the keyboard (cpu
unit) does work OK?

I recall that you should hold down BREAK at switch on but cannot recall why
that was so. It's been so long since I last used one.

Batchman

Batchman

Wanted Tandy TRS-80 Model I and III
Hi! I'm after a working Tandy TRS-80 Model I Level II and a TRS-80 Model III. Live in the UK. Happy to pay for said items and shipping. Please contact me via rob_daw@hotmail.com if you have such items and are willing to sell. Cheers, Rob Rob Daw wrote: > Hi! > > I'm after a working Tandy TRS-80 Model I Level II and a TRS-80 Model III. > Live in the UK. Happy to pay for said items and shipping. Please contact me > via rob_daw@hotmail.com if you have such items and are willing to sell. > > Cheers, > > Rob Rob Hi - I am in ...

Donated: Tandy 1000SX, TRS-80 Model I, and more
Hi, I've donated my good ole' Tandy 1000SX to the Multiple Sclerosis Society for their Yard Sale to be held here in St Thomas, Ontario, on Saturday, May 21st, at 82 Alma Street. The Tandy 1000SX has a keyboard, mono monitor, colour monitor, 20MB Hard Card, Smartwatch, Tandy MS-DOS 3.20 (Manuals & 5.25" Disks), Deskmate (Manuals & 5.25" Disks), and Technical Reference Manual. The system works fine, as I had it on for over an hour last evening, deleting all of my old data files of 1990 from the hard card. I hate to see it go, but it's for a good cause...

Pictures of "Tandy" and other TRS-80 Models
Ran across a growing retro site: http://www.1000bit.net/database2.asp?id=23&grp=S_NOM Has a pretty good collection of almost 25 different TRS-80/Tandy machines. (Anyone have a good photo of a Model 3 to replace theirs? Something with TRS-DOS on bootup instead of the brightness turned all the way up?) On 20 Oct 2005 17:50:18 -0700, "vad" <colos44@gmail.com> wrote: >Ran across a growing retro site: > http://www.1000bit.net/database2.asp?id=23&grp=S_NOM > >Has a pretty good collection of almost 25 different TRS-80/Tandy >machines. >...

eBay: Tandy TRS-80 Model II, 12 and 16 Software including XENIX
Hello, I've listed a large number of software packages for the TRS-80 Model II, 12 and 16 computers. There is a XENIX development system, a XENIX multi-user runtime, Visicalc, Multiplan and many more. All are in great condition and contain the original manual and disk(s). If you would like to see them please search by seller, my eBay username is: miller1987. Thanks, Nick "Nick" <nickandlori@charter.net> wrote in message news:10koqk1bb79m3e4@corp.supernews.com... > Hello, > > I've listed a large number of software packages for the TRS-80...

TRS-80 Model 1 & Model 4P computers for sale on eBay
Just gone on sale on eBay... all my old Tandy/Radio Shack TRS80 equipment - 2 x model 1's plus expansion interface, 2 x model 4P's, Tandy/Radio Shack/Sharp CGP115 printer/plotter plus LOADS of software, manuals etc. Time to clear out, but would prefer it all went to someone who values these things as much as I do! http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4135310634&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1 Item # 4135310634 ...

TRS-80 model 1 or 3 user in VA w/ 5 1/4" DSDD drive?
Is there anybody in Virginia/USA (perhaps near Newport News) with a TRS-80 Model 1 or 3 who could help me to transfer two 5 1/4" DSDD floppy disks (NEWDOS'80) onto a PC readable format (almost anything;-) ? The floppies contain a game which I wrote about 15-20 years ago. I really would like to access these files again to revive the game on a different system. Unfortunately I have no TRS-80 anymore. Thanks! I keep the e-mail address alive for about two weeks, depending on the amount of spam that piles up. I could help you do the transfers, although after twenty years ...

Helo with TRS-80 Model I RS-232 Cable / 3.5" Disk Drives in a Model IV/4D
Good evening all! I'm just getting into retro-computing as a hobby and am finding it quite fascinating so far. I have a TRS-80 Model I, IV, and 4D that I enjoy tinkering with and have learned a lot so far, but there are still a couple of elusive things I have not figured out just yet. As such I was wondering, if at all possible, someone would be so kind as to answer a couple of questions I had regarding the Model I and IV. - My Model I EI (latest revision) has the RS-232 board installed, however did not come with the RS-232C ribbon cable. Could someone please provide me with...

Helo with TRS-80 Model I RS-232 Cable / 3.5" Disk Drives in a Model IV/4D
Kilo-Niner <kilo-niner@peoplepc.com> wrote: > My Model I EI (latest revision) has the RS-232 board installed, > however did not come with the RS-232C ribbon cable. Could someone > please provide me with the proper pinouts for the 40 pin edge card/ > DB-25 connector so that I can fabricate one? TRS EI RS-232 16 Pgnd 1 (power ground) 18 TD 2 22 RD 3 36 RTS 4 32 CTS 5 40 DSR 6 20 Sgnd 7 (signal ground) 30 CD 8 34 DTR 20 38 RI 22 If you have the manual and intend...

TRS-80 Model 1 needed
Something went out in the graphics department on my TRS-80 Model 1. While I attempt to troubleshoot and fix it, I thought it would be nice to have a spare system unit - or whatever you call it (the unit with the keyboard). So if anyone has a good one they want to sell, please let me know. Thanks - Dave Dave, You may want to keep your eye on: http://www.trs-80.com/trs-sale.htm Ira On 18 Jun 2004 09:35:48 -0700, ironradio@qwest.net (Ironradio) wrotf: >Something went out in the graphics department on my TRS-80 Model 1. >While I attempt to troubleshoot and fix it, I tho...

Tandy/TRS-80 color computer
I need to replace my Color Computer 3 keyboard. Probably the easiest way is to find a CoCo3 and scrap the other one for spare parts. I have a good bit of stuff to trade. My hardware inventory now consists of: mouse (26-3025) deluxe joystick (26-3012B) pistol grip joystick (26-3123) Orc90 synthesizer (26-3143) w/book disk controller (26-3029) serial interface cable (26-3020) Green Mountain Micro LowerKit III for the CoCo 1 w/books Books include: TRS-80 Color Computer Operation Manual - CoCo 1 TRS-80 Color Computer Quick Reference Guide - CoCo 1 Getting Started with Color Ba...

Online Tandy / TRS-80 Magazine
Good day all... Just a reminder of our online TRS-80 / Tandy support magazine. We have been publishing online going on our second year. This is a non-profit website and very much a work of passion. Please drop by monthly as the content changes, with past articles archived. We can be found at: http://www.8bit-micro.com Thanks in advance... a fellow collector and Tandy user... Brian K. Hahn 8bit-micro.com Online Vintage Compter Magazine ...

Newest Listings for TRS-80/Tandy/CoCo
VINTAGE TANDY TRS-80 Anti-Glare Panel Item number: 5141950562 RARE Radio Shack TRS-80 DC Modem 1B #26-1175 Item number: 5141951156 PortaCalc for Tandy 100 Portable Computer Item number: 5141951661 Model 3 III Magic Carpet Cassette Cat. No. 26-1919 Item number: 5141951980 Model 1Pilot Plus Cat. No. 26-2205 Item number: 5141952341 Model III/4 Accounts Receivable Cat No 26-1541 Item number: 5141952643 Tandy 1000 EX - Personal DeskMate Cat No. 25-1050 Item number: 5142308056 Model 4 TRSDOS and BASIC Interpreter Cat. No. 26-0316 Item numbe...

general tandy / trs 80 email list ?
is there a general trs80 / tandy email list (not the coco list on malted media) ? if not would anyone object to one being created (outside of yahoo, google, msn, and aol) ? On Dec 20, 2:57 pm, "(ProteanThread)" <proteanthr...@gmail.com> wrote: > is there a general trs80 / tandy email list (not the coco list on > malted media) ? if not would anyone object to one being created > (outside of yahoo, google, msn, and aol) ? We're all on http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TRS-80 and no one wants to move. i'm talking about outside aol, yahoo, msn, an...

TRS-80 Model 1 SYSTEM commands
I cannot find any documentation on valid commands to use at the *? prompt after entering SYSTEM at the Basic 2 prompt on my Model 1. Case in point, I have several games which must be loaded at the *? prompt. They load OK and the system returns to the *? prompt. But how do you run the program after the load? Is there a reference somewhere that documents the various commands possible at the *? prompt? Thanks, Dave Ironradio wrote: > I cannot find any documentation on valid commands to use at the *? > prompt after entering SYSTEM at the Basic 2 prompt on my Model 1. > ...

Web resources about - Tandy TRS-80 Model 1 cable wrongfully fitted to RS232, no boot? - comp.sys.tandy

Letter to the White House regarding Wounded Knee and Congressional Medals of Honor wrongfully awarded ...
December 28, 2012 Honorable President Barack Obama c/o The White House 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue Washington, DC 20500 Dear Mr. President ...

City of Melbourne to refund nearly 35,000 parking fines wrongfully issued
Almost 35,000 people fined for parking in Melbourne&#8217;s CBD between 2012 and 2014 will receive a refund.

Man wrongfully jailed for 29 years
After Michael McAlister spent half his life in prison for a crime he didn't commit, he has finally been granted his freedom.

Man wrongfully accused released from prison after 40 years
A 70-year-old man wrongly convicted of the 1976 stabbing deaths of a mother and daughter walked out of prison on Friday, saying he was looking ...

Roseanne Beckett wins $2.3 million for being wrongfully jailed
Every day for more than two decades, Roseanne Beckett has woken up troubled by a difficult, lengthy court battle.

Wrongfully imprisoned US boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies
RUBIN “Hurricane” Carter, the prize-fighter whose racially tinged wrongful murder conviction made him a symbol of injustice and a pop culture ...

Police officers investigated over rape, domestic violence claims which saw prison guard wrongfully jailed ...
A prison guard spent four months in jail for raping and beating his ex-fiancée, before it emerged the allegations were completely false.

Gerry Barton, wrongfully convicted of rape, testifies in civil lawsuit
A Nova Scotia man wrongly labelled a rapist for 40 years testifies at his civil trial against the RCMP and provincial government, and says being ...

Man wrongfully convicted of statutory rape says he never gave RCMP statement
A man wrongfully convicted of raping a 14-year-old Nova Scotia girl in 1969 testified today that at the time he was charged he never gave a statement ...

Edmonton Man Beaten In Front Of Family Wrongfully Targeted: Police 0
EDMONTON - Investigators in Edmonton believe a man who was beaten and threatened at gunpoint in front of his wife and four children was wrongfully ...