"Font not available" error. How do I get the font??

Hi All,

I'm  opening some FrameMaker files, and getting error messages that
some fonts used are not available in my system, and ofering the
alternative to replace the original fonts with some others.

However, in the above described situation, how can I get this or that
font? Specially when it tells me the "font family so and so" is not
available?

TIA,
jbr
0
go
6/20/2006 8:13:31 PM
comp.text.frame 540 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On Jun 20, 2006, BigBen wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm  opening some FrameMaker files, and getting error messages that
> some fonts used are not available in my system, and ofering the
> alternative to replace the original fonts with some others.
>
> However, in the above described situation, how can I get this or that
> font? Specially when it tells me the "font family so and so" is not
> available?
>
> TIA,
> jbr

Umm, you buy it? What am I missing here?

0
Tim
6/21/2006 4:28:30 AM
On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 00:28:30 -0400, Tim Murray <no-spam@thankyou.com>
wrote:

>Umm, you buy it? What am I missing here?

If I bought my licence of FrameMaker? Yes I did! Is that supposed to
solve my problem?

jbr

0
go
6/21/2006 10:42:13 AM
On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 10:42:13 GMT, BigBen <go.spam@somewhere.else> wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 00:28:30 -0400, Tim Murray <no-spam@thankyou.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Umm, you buy it? What am I missing here?
>
> If I bought my licence of FrameMaker? Yes I did! Is that supposed to
> solve my problem?

Well, you don't miss FrameMaker. You miss the font. So you have to buy
the font.

0
andreas
6/21/2006 11:52:18 AM
On 21 Jun 2006 11:52:18 GMT, andreas a@t mrs d.t ch wrote:

>Well, you don't miss FrameMaker. You miss the font. So you have to buy
>the font.

So, if your client send you a file for editing, and you don't have
some of the fonts he/she chose to use, you're supposed to buy each and
every font you're missing?

If so, can you buy a copy of the same font from diferent "retailers"?
Sugestions on best deals, please?

TIA,
jbr

0
go
6/21/2006 3:57:31 PM
On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 15:57:31 GMT, BigBen <go.spam@somewhere.else> wrote:
> On 21 Jun 2006 11:52:18 GMT, andreas a@t mrs d.t ch wrote:
>
>>Well, you don't miss FrameMaker. You miss the font. So you have to buy
>>the font.
>
> So, if your client send you a file for editing, and you don't have
> some of the fonts he/she chose to use, you're supposed to buy each and
> every font you're missing?

I'm not 100% sure, but you should be able to edit the file without
removing the font information. So if you edit the file, send it back,
and the client opens the file on a machine with the used fonts, he will
see the edited text with his own fonts.

> If so, can you buy a copy of the same font from diferent "retailers"?
> Sugestions on best deals, please?

??? I'm not a dealer, and don't blame me, if you don't like the
(reasonable) way Frame handles fonts.

Andreas

0
andreas
6/21/2006 9:37:15 PM
Recently, BigBen <go.spam@somewhere.else> posted:

> On 21 Jun 2006 11:52:18 GMT, andreas a@t mrs d.t ch wrote:
>
>> Well, you don't miss FrameMaker. You miss the font. So you have to
>> buy the font.
>
> So, if your client send you a file for editing, and you don't have
> some of the fonts he/she chose to use, you're supposed to buy each and
> every font you're missing?

Yes.

> If so, can you buy a copy of the same font from diferent "retailers"?
> Sugestions on best deals, please?

This may be risky. Fonts are very specific, and for some there are many
versions that will not be compatible.

The bottom line is that if you are selling your services to clients, it is
your responsibility to assure that your work will not negatively impact
their intellectual property (the file for editing). The best way to do
this is to buy the *exact* fonts that they are using, and, yes, this can
get to be an expensive proposition.

Neil

0
Neil