"Incorrect structure found in PDF file"

I put together 40 to 50 page seminar presentations by applying the
Acrobat "Create PDF from Multiple Files" command to the same number of
individual PDFs acquired elsewhere or generated by Mathematica or
Illustrator, then reorganizing these pages in Acrobat.

Fairly often, when I try to Delete an unwanted one these pages using the
Document >> Delete Pages menu command in Acrobat I get the error message
"An incorrect structure was found in the PDF file", and the page simply
refuses to delete (workaround is then to move it to the end of the file.

Is there any way to cure or avoid these problems?  Or a diagnostic I
could run on the errant document

--Burst (Extract) the file back to individual pages, run each individual
page through a Save or Save As process in Acrobat or Illustrator?

--Do the preceding on every page before assembling the first time?

--Buy a whole new suite of Adobe programs?

--?????????????

Doing a Save or Save As on the complete file doesn't seem to help.

[This happen on a MacBook running Tiger (OS 10.4), Acrobat 7.0 Standard,
Illustrator CS 7.0.  Send me an email; I'll forward a cc of one of these
files.]
0
AES

AES <siegman@stanford.edu> wrote:

>Fairly often, when I try to Delete an unwanted one these pages using the
>Document >> Delete Pages menu command in Acrobat I get the error message
>"An incorrect structure was found in the PDF file", and the page simply
>refuses to delete (workaround is then to move it to the end of the file.
>
>Is there any way to cure or avoid these problems?  Or a diagnostic I
>could run on the errant document

You can try removing all of the structure (tagging).
Aandi Inston

quite
8/28/2007 8:35:14 AM
In article <46d3de2b.2815219572@read.news.uk.uu.net>,
 quite@dial.pipex.con (Aandi Inston) wrote:

> >Is there any way to cure or avoid these problems?  Or a diagnostic I
> >could run on the errant document
>
> You can try removing all of the structure (tagging).

Thanks for reply -- but if time permits, could you maybe supply a few
more details, or point me to a not too complicated source of info on
this.  I don't know what the deeper technical meaning of "structure" in
a PDF file really is; haven't had to look into tags up to this point;
and am not sure whether your suggestion is intended as a cure for the
problem, or just as a diagnostic.
0
AES
8/28/2007 2:17:05 PM
AES <siegman@stanford.edu> wrote:

>In article <46d3de2b.2815219572@read.news.uk.uu.net>,
> quite@dial.pipex.con (Aandi Inston) wrote:
>
>> >Is there any way to cure or avoid these problems?  Or a diagnostic I
>> >could run on the errant document
>>
>> You can try removing all of the structure (tagging).
>
>Thanks for reply -- but if time permits, could you maybe supply a few
>more details, or point me to a not too complicated source of info on
>this.  I don't know what the deeper technical meaning of "structure" in
>a PDF file really is; haven't had to look into tags up to this point;
>and am not sure whether your suggestion is intended as a cure for the
>problem, or just as a diagnostic.

Without getting into the details of what they are, in Acrobat 8.0 you
can use View > Navigation panels > Tags. From here you can delete
tags.

Structure is something that is in addition to what you see on the
page. For example what is on the page is just a jumble of text;
structure says "this is a paragraph", and "this is a header" and so
on. Important (and sometimes needed by law) for text extraction.

Aandi Inston

quite
8/28/2007 2:35:57 PM
Aandi Inston <quite@dial.pipex.con> wrote:
> AES <siegman@stanford.edu> wrote:

> > > You can try removing all of the structure (tagging).
> >
> > Thanks for reply -- but if time permits, could you maybe supply a few
> > more details, or point me to a not too complicated source of info on
> > this.  I don't know what the deeper technical meaning of "structure" in
> > a PDF file really is; haven't had to look into tags up to this point;
> > and am not sure whether your suggestion is intended as a cure for the
> > problem, or just as a diagnostic.
>
> Without getting into the details of what they are, in Acrobat 8.0 you
> can use View > Navigation panels > Tags. From here you can delete
> tags.

  If you have Acro Pro and there's more than one document
  you want to do this with, you might want to create a
  Preflight profile that does this.
  Invoke the Preflight tool, then edit profiles. Create a
  new profile, go into the fixup pane, and pick one that's
  named "Remove document structure". Add that to your newly
  cerated profile and give the profile a meaningful name.
  Close the edit dialog (in the Preflight tool's main dialog
  pick your profile from the list, if it isn't already) and
  execute it.
  For processing several files you can execute Preflight
  profiles from a batch sequence or create a droplet from a
  profile on your desktop and just drop all the files onto
  it.

> [...]
> Aandi Inston

  Schobi