About Spelling and Grammar in PDF files

Hey guys,

I have been using Acrobat Reader for the past eight years. In time, it
size and price increased, but its interface and features (useful for
normal users like me) other than not so useful options such as read
aloud were not my money's worth. It still misses a simple spell check
and grammar, atleast in my Acrobat Reader, things that take most of my
time to fix. It's a great addon if there was an option to check for
grammar and thesaurus based on the currently accepted styles.

Any help or suggestion for this newbie?

Regards
Kris

0
chikkubhai (38)

chikkubhai wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
> I have been using Acrobat Reader for the past eight years. In time, it
> size and price increased, but its interface and features (useful for
> normal users like me) other than not so useful options such as read
> aloud were not my money's worth. It still misses a simple spell check
> and grammar, atleast in my Acrobat Reader, things that take most of my
> time to fix. It's a great addon if there was an option to check for
> grammar and thesaurus based on the currently accepted styles.

Why would you want one? It is a page viewer, even if you did spot a
misspelling you can't do much about it. The spellchecker should be in the
originating application (InDesign, Quark etc).

My Acrobat Reader and other PDF viewers have all been free. There are some
open source readers; you could take one of them and add a spellchecker to
it.

--
Eric
0
chikkubhai <chikkubhai@gmail.com> wrote:

>I have been using Acrobat Reader for the past eight years. In time, it
>size and price increased

The price increased from free to free?
Aandi Inston

quite
6/29/2007 6:53:58 AM
Sorry for the confusion. I was talking about the Adobe Acrobat
Professional (not the reader) and also all other full versions of
Illustrator, Photoshop that I have been using for years, and always
referred to it as 'acrobat reader', all the while, although not
purchased by my own money, but a copy from my organization.

Anyways, again, Is there a way I could check my grammar and thesaurus
in Adobe Acrobate 7.0 Professional. Will they be doing any thing about
this important feature?

An excerpt from http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/pressroom/pressreleases/200501/010505Acrobat.html:
          Acrobat 7.0 Professional has an estimated street price of US
$449. Registered users of Acrobat 4.0, Acrobat 5.0, Acrobat 6.0
Standard, or Acrobat 6.0 Professional can upgrade to Acrobat 7.0
Professional for an estimated street price of US$159. Acrobat 7.0
Standard has an estimated street price of US$299. Registered users of
Acrobat 4.0, Acrobat 5.0 or Acrobat 6.0 Standard can upgrade to
Acrobat 7.0 Standard for an estimated street price of US$99. The
products also are available through Adobe's Open Options licensing
programs.

0
chikkubhai
6/30/2007 6:56:09 AM
chikkubhai wrote:

> Anyways, again, Is there a way I could check my grammar and thesaurus
> in Adobe Acrobate 7.0 Professional. Will they be doing any thing about
> this important feature?

Iceni Infix has a spell checker -- fully functional in the demo version.

No thesaurus.
0
PDFrank

PDF PDF PDF
For anyone struggling to figure out how to create a PDF in SWX it's pretty simple but you may have to have the Bluebeam version of swx FIRST go to Tools>Options and check "Save as PDF" Then you can save them right from the save as dialog. Maybe I'm the only dumbass that could't figure that out! ;0) But it was in help under "PDF" An easier way is to download a program from www.pdf995.com that "prints" you files to a PDF foramat. This program works with SW and any other program you use to print with. "3d" <jmiller at marvelindustri...

ANN: Fly Text to PDF

A PDF into a FM file then save as pdf... how to have alll the pages of the included pdf file
FM 7.2 We can import a complete PDF file as an object into a framemaker file. Then when we try to generate a pdf from this framemaker file, we have only the firts page of the pdf imported. Is there a method to import a pdf file and force FM to generate a pdf file with save as... with the complete pdf file inserted into the padf ? > We can import a complete PDF file as an object into a framemaker file. Then > when we try to generate a pdf from this framemaker file, we have only the > firts page of the pdf imported. > > Is there a method to import a pdf file and force FM to generate a pdf file > with save as... with the complete pdf file inserted into the padf ? FrameMaker imports PDF files per page only. To do something similar to what you intend, I once came up with a Windows shell script that writes out a MIF file, incorporating the name of a referenced PDF file and its page count. Note that the MIF code was just stripped off a file and isn't constructed very nicely, but it does the job. After running the script, you should use FrameMaker to open and save the output file. There is no text flow, thus you can't import the file into a document, but you can use it as part of a book instead. Regards Johannes Here is the VB script, feel free to post an optimized version: Dim fso, mif, pdfname, pagecount, counter Set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject") pdfname = InputBox("Name o...

PDF::API2
Hello All, I am new to PDF files so I don't really know if what I want to do is possible and how to use the PDF::API2 modules. I need to extract information from columns in a table ( I assume that PDF does not know anything about tables). What I was thinking of doing was finding the horizontal location of the header (I know what it should be), then extract all text that starts at that location. I have played around with the PDF::API2 module and read the 'Using PDF::API2 - The code' help page, however it doesn't show me how to extract information from an exi...

PDF::API2
Hello All, I am new to PDF files so I don't really know if what I want to do is possible and how to use the PDF::API2 modules. I need to extract information from columns in a table ( I assume that PDF does not know anything about tables). What I was thinking of doing was finding the horizontal location of the header (I know what it should be), then extract all text that starts at that location. I have played around with the PDF::API2 module and read the 'Using PDF::API2 - The code' help page, however it doesn't show me how to extract information from an existing file. ...

PDF::Writer, create pdf and insert in other pdf file.
Hi folks(wharever it mean my english is so bad...) the following code create a PDF: #!/usr/bin/ruby require 'pdf/writer' pdf = PDF::Writer.new pdf.text "Hello Matz", :font_size => 22 pdf.save_as "novo.pdf" ######################################## now I wanna save this pdf as a last page of a existing pdf. any tips? -- Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/. On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 1:23 PM, Ricardo Pog <ricardo85x@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi folks(wharever it mean my english is so bad...) > > > the following code create a PDF: > >...

PDF TO PDF/A
Hello, is it possible to convert a PDF file to PDFA file ? i tried the -dPDFA option and i vefy my pdf file with PDF longlife. I have an error. Thanks for help. ...

pdf \ text (get rid of text in pdf)

Merge pdf files into one pdf file
Hi I am looking for a script that can automatically merge a serie of 'pdf' files into one 'pdf' file. I know about the "Insert pdf file" option in adobe, but I have about 30 'pdf' files, and need a more automatic solution. Today I am merging several "ps" files into one "pdf" file by using the script below. Is there a similar script for pdf files. Any software that solves this? Any help is appreciated! Gisle Rong Script: %! % PostScript program for distilling and combining multiple PostScript files. % When embedding font subsets, it is ...

pdf file to text file ??
Hi....... All I am working on VC++ 6.0. In my application, I need to convert PDF file to text (ASCII) file format. Can I achieve this task without using PDF SDK. Is there any commandline EXE available that can perform such task.. Thanks in Advance. Kireet Gajera kireetgajera@gmail.com wrote: > I am working on VC++ 6.0. > > In my application, I need to convert PDF file to text (ASCII) file > format. > > Can I achieve this task without using PDF SDK. Yes. > Is there any commandline EXE available that can perform such task.. pdftotext in the xpdf package. Have a...

How to: split 1 pdf file to 2 pdf files?
I have a problem with a file that I retrieve off www.catholic-forum.com/bulletins/511.pdf . Once each month they create the 511.pdf file with an attached Parish Calendar page. The Parish Bulletin page is in 'Portrait' sizing while the attached Parish Calendar page is in 'Landscape'. I try to retrieve this one file and using Frontpage on my PC attempt to publish the pdf file to my online web. I do NOT want the online web User to have to scroll to the left to see the Bulletin or the Calendar. I have Acrobat Reader 7.0 on my PC and would like to save the www.catholic-forum....

Batch converting of PDF files into searchable PDF files
Hello Group We need to convert about 500 multipage non-searchable PDF files into searchable PDF files. The original PDFs just contain the scanned documents and we plan to run them through an OCR program which will afterwards save them back in the PDF format. It seems that Omnipage 12 Pro Office edition would be able to do the job but Omnipage 12 Standard, which is much less expensive, seems to have many of the same features. Unfortunately I wasn't able to find a resource which lists the exact differences between the two programs. For now we'd require only one or two licences...

2 pdf-files > 1 pdf-file
Hello, I use Photoshop Lite or CutePDF to scan documents to pdf. What to do if documents are spread out over 2 or more A4's? How can I scan this to just 1 pdf-file? Peter You should use only ADOBE ACROBAT software. "PeterS" <pghscholtes@home.nl> wrote in message news:bk20l8$lom$1@news3.tilbu1.nb.home.nl... > Hello, > > I use Photoshop Lite or CutePDF to scan documents to pdf. What to do if > documents are spread out over 2 or more A4's? How can I scan this to > just 1 pdf-file? > > Peter > ...

split one pdf file into multiple pdf files
Hi I am in urgent need of code for spliting one pdf file into multiple pdf files based on a particular condition. An guidance going about writing code for this problem would be really helpful. Thanks, Suparana Hi, What are the particular conditions you need for splitting. There are a number of third party solutions, but most will split on page or file names. If you had the source of the PDF files, I could show you how my OctoTools could produce the output already split, on just about ANY criteria, but doing it with existing pdf's could be tricky. Another way to approach your problem i...

How print a pdf file on both sides of a paper(Duplexing for pdf files)
Hi All, Please let me know how to print a pdf file on both sides of a papers. Thanks in advance. krishnapalvadi@gmail.com wrote: > Hi All, > Please let me know how to print a pdf file on both sides of a > papers. > Thanks in advance. > Do you have a duplex printer? krishnapalvadi@gmail.com wrote: > Hi All, > Please let me know how to print a pdf file on both sides of a > papers. > Thanks in advance. The same way that you would print any other document on both sides of the paper. You select duplex output in your printer driver properties. Presuma...

split one pdf file into multiple pdf files #2
Hi I am in urgent need of code for spliting one pdf file into multiple pdf files based on a particular condition. Guidance of how to go about writing the code for this problem would really helpful. Thanks, Suparana ...

GUIDE: Using xtopdf to create PDF from text and DBF files (including creating simple PDF e-books)
Hi, I'm giving below, steps to install and use my xtopdf PDF creation/conversion toolkit. This post is for end-users. xtopdf is both a set of end-user tools and a library for use by developers, to create PDF from various input formats. I'll post another message here about how developers can use it in various ways, sometime later. The steps are for the Windows platform. Will do another post for Linux. 1. Get Python v2.4.3 here: http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.4.3/python-2.4.3.msi Size is not more than 10 MB. Install it - its an MSI, so just double-click. (Any Python version >...

GUIDE: Using xtopdf to create PDF from text and DBF files (including creating simple PDF e-books)
Hi, I'm giving below, steps to install and use my xtopdf PDF creation/conversion toolkit. This post is for end-users. xtopdf is both a set of end-user tools and a library for use by developers, to create PDF from various input formats. I'll post another message here about how developers can use it in various ways, sometime later. The steps are for the Windows platform. Will do another post for Linux. 1. Get Python v2.4.3 here: http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.4.3/python-2.4.3.msi Size is not more than 10 MB. Install it - its an MSI, so just double-click. (Any Python version >...

How to create two pdf files into one pdf file using pdflatex?
Hi, there! I use MikTeX on my PC. I have a tex file, I use pdflatex to create a pdf file. Now my problem is that I have other a pdf file, I want to put two pdf into a pdf file. Does anyone have suggestion to do this? I am like to put some tex code into my tex file, then I run pdflatex, I will create this two pdf files into one pdf file. Thanks! zyx wrote: > Hi, there! > > I use MikTeX on my PC. I have a tex file, I use pdflatex to create a > pdf file. Now my problem is that I have other a pdf file, I want to put > two pdf into a pdf file. Does anyone have suggesti...

how i can extract text from the PDF files,power point files,Ms word files?
hi friends, i need to extract text from the power point files,word files,pdf files for my application.Is it possible to extract the text from the those files .If yes plz give solution to this problem.i would be thankful if u givve solution to this problem On 25 Oct 2005 23:10:44 -0700, "crazyprakash" <prince.prakash18@gmail.com> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said : >hi friends, > i need to extract text from the power point files,word >files,pdf files for my application.Is it possible to extract the text >from the th...

Combining PDF and XML files into PDF
My app reads an XML file into my database, allows editing the content, then produces a new XML file and, optionally, a PDF file from the same data. I'm currently using REXML to readin the XML file, Builder to write the new XML file out, and PDF::Writer to write the PDF file. Now I need to put the XML data into the PDF file and have the result conform to the Adobe spec for that. I'd really appreciate any suggestions re: the best / easiest approach to 'get there from here'. TIA, Bill On Sat, Dec 02, 2006 at 02:45:11AM +0900, bill walton wrote: > My app reads an XML file ...

PDF::API2 (Creating PDF files)
Hi, I'm creating PDF's on the fly, with Perl 5.8, using PDF::API2. I have no problem with most of it, albeit there's a bit of a learning curve with creating PDFs, but I can't figure out how to insert a URL with anchor text. i.e. It's easy enough to insert a URL as text, and the PDF will recognize it as a URL and make it clickable when viewed in Acrobat. However, I would like to be able to insert a URL, such as http://www.test.com yet have the link text be something like "Test Site" (with the actual URL not visible). I know it's possible to do...

Convert PDF image to PDF text
Hi, I have a PDF file with image text documents. hence I can't search the text. How can I convert it to searchable PDF file? Thanx You will have to scan it using an OCR (Optical Character Recognition) application and then create a PDF file. -- Don Vancouver, USA <WhiteLen@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1193737890.691267.165820@z9g2000hsf.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > > I have a PDF file with image text documents. hence I can't search the > text. How can I convert it to searchable PDF file? > > Thanx > Any recommendation for OCR application? ...

text on pdf file
How can I add a text on a pdf file in order to print it with the page? Thanks Sandro "Sandrobi" <sandbizzXXX@libero.it> wrote in message news:<TQP0c.42052$Kc3.1337410@twister2.libero.it>... > How can I add a text on a pdf file in order to print it with the page? > > Thanks > > Sandro There are so many ways to do it if you have the full version of Acrobat. Not the Free Reader. 1. Use the free text tool. 2. Use the forms tool and make a text box and fill it up. 3. Use the touchup text tool, click where you want the text inserted while holding the &...

Web resources about - About Spelling and Grammar in PDF files - comp.text.pdf

Spelling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... phonetic symbols. Without proper rendering support , you may see question marks, boxes, or other symbols instead of Unicode characters. Spelling ...

English-language spelling reform - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
For hundreds of years, many groups and individuals have advocated spelling reform for English . Spelling reformers seek to make English spelling ...

faroo_p2p: 1000x Faster Spelling Correction updated: The benchmark is in! http://t.co/oY18ohyd #faroo ...
faroo_p2p: 1000x Faster Spelling Correction updated: The benchmark is in! http://t.

French Word Wizard - French Talking Movable Alphabet and Spelling Tests on the App Store on iTunes
Get French Word Wizard - French Talking Movable Alphabet and Spelling Tests on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer ...

End of the circumflex? Changes in French spelling cause uproar
Controversy has emerged in France over new spellings for more than 2,000 French words.

Tori Spelling is representing a psychic phone line now: good career move?
Tori Spelling may have a little cash to waste on more useless items for her storage containers (you know she’s not going to pay off her debt ...

Donald Trump struggles with spelling on his Samsung
Technically Incorrect: Having boycotted his iPhone, the Republican candidate sends out several tweets from his Samsung device, complete with ...

Marco Rubio makes fun of Donald Trump for spelling 'choker' C-H-O-K-E-R. Um ...
... Donald Trump down a few pegs. Unfortunately, Senator Marco Rubio is just gawdawful at this. Here he is making fun of Donald Trump's spelling ...