About Spelling and Grammar in PDF files

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Hey guys,

I have been using Acrobat Reader for the past eight years. In time, it
size and price increased, but its interface and features (useful for
normal users like me) other than not so useful options such as read
aloud were not my money's worth. It still misses a simple spell check
and grammar, atleast in my Acrobat Reader, things that take most of my
time to fix. It's a great addon if there was an option to check for
grammar and thesaurus based on the currently accepted styles.

Any help or suggestion for this newbie?

Regards
Kris

0
Reply chikkubhai (38) 6/29/2007 2:11:43 AM

See related articles to this posting

chikkubhai wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
> I have been using Acrobat Reader for the past eight years. In time, it
> size and price increased, but its interface and features (useful for
> normal users like me) other than not so useful options such as read
> aloud were not my money's worth. It still misses a simple spell check
> and grammar, atleast in my Acrobat Reader, things that take most of my
> time to fix. It's a great addon if there was an option to check for
> grammar and thesaurus based on the currently accepted styles.

Why would you want one? It is a page viewer, even if you did spot a
misspelling you can't do much about it. The spellchecker should be in the
originating application (InDesign, Quark etc).

My Acrobat Reader and other PDF viewers have all been free. There are some
open source readers; you could take one of them and add a spellchecker to
it.

--
Eric
0

chikkubhai <chikkubhai@gmail.com> wrote:

>I have been using Acrobat Reader for the past eight years. In time, it
>size and price increased

The price increased from free to free?
Aandi Inston

Reply quite 6/29/2007 6:53:58 AM

Sorry for the confusion. I was talking about the Adobe Acrobat
Professional (not the reader) and also all other full versions of
Illustrator, Photoshop that I have been using for years, and always
referred to it as 'acrobat reader', all the while, although not
purchased by my own money, but a copy from my organization.

Anyways, again, Is there a way I could check my grammar and thesaurus
in Adobe Acrobate 7.0 Professional. Will they be doing any thing about
this important feature?

An excerpt from http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/pressroom/pressreleases/200501/010505Acrobat.html:
          Acrobat 7.0 Professional has an estimated street price of US
$449. Registered users of Acrobat 4.0, Acrobat 5.0, Acrobat 6.0
Standard, or Acrobat 6.0 Professional can upgrade to Acrobat 7.0
Professional for an estimated street price of US$159. Acrobat 7.0
Standard has an estimated street price of US$299. Registered users of
Acrobat 4.0, Acrobat 5.0 or Acrobat 6.0 Standard can upgrade to
Acrobat 7.0 Standard for an estimated street price of US$99. The
products also are available through Adobe's Open Options licensing
programs.

0
Reply chikkubhai 6/30/2007 6:56:09 AM

chikkubhai wrote:

> Anyways, again, Is there a way I could check my grammar and thesaurus
> in Adobe Acrobate 7.0 Professional. Will they be doing any thing about
> this important feature?

Iceni Infix has a spell checker -- fully functional in the demo version.

No thesaurus.
0
Reply PDFrank 6/30/2007 9:26:17 AM
comp.text.pdf 5537 articles. 36 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

A PDF into a FM file then save as pdf... how to have alll the pages of the included pdf file
FM 7.2 We can import a complete PDF file as an object into a framemaker file. Then when we try to generate a pdf from this framemaker file, we have only the firts page of the pdf imported. Is there a method to import a pdf file and force FM to generate a pdf file with save as... with the complete pdf file inserted into the padf ? > We can import a complete PDF file as an object into a framemaker file. Then > when we try to generate a pdf from this framemaker file, we have only the > firts page of the pdf imported. > > Is there a method to import a pdf file...

Merge pdf files into one pdf file
Hi I am looking for a script that can automatically merge a serie of 'pdf' files into one 'pdf' file. I know about the "Insert pdf file" option in adobe, but I have about 30 'pdf' files, and need a more automatic solution. Today I am merging several "ps" files into one "pdf" file by using the script below. Is there a similar script for pdf files. Any software that solves this? Any help is appreciated! Gisle Rong Script: %! % PostScript program for distilling and combining multiple PostScript files. % When embedding font subsets, it is ...

split one pdf file into multiple pdf files
Hi I am in urgent need of code for spliting one pdf file into multiple pdf files based on a particular condition. An guidance going about writing code for this problem would be really helpful. Thanks, Suparana Hi, What are the particular conditions you need for splitting. There are a number of third party solutions, but most will split on page or file names. If you had the source of the PDF files, I could show you how my OctoTools could produce the output already split, on just about ANY criteria, but doing it with existing pdf's could be tricky. Another way to approach your problem i...

2 pdf-files > 1 pdf-file
Hello, I use Photoshop Lite or CutePDF to scan documents to pdf. What to do if documents are spread out over 2 or more A4's? How can I scan this to just 1 pdf-file? Peter You should use only ADOBE ACROBAT software. "PeterS" <pghscholtes@home.nl> wrote in message news:bk20l8$lom$1@news3.tilbu1.nb.home.nl... > Hello, > > I use Photoshop Lite or CutePDF to scan documents to pdf. What to do if > documents are spread out over 2 or more A4's? How can I scan this to > just 1 pdf-file? > > Peter > ...

How to: split 1 pdf file to 2 pdf files?
I have a problem with a file that I retrieve off www.catholic-forum.com/bulletins/511.pdf . Once each month they create the 511.pdf file with an attached Parish Calendar page. The Parish Bulletin page is in 'Portrait' sizing while the attached Parish Calendar page is in 'Landscape'. I try to retrieve this one file and using Frontpage on my PC attempt to publish the pdf file to my online web. I do NOT want the online web User to have to scroll to the left to see the Bulletin or the Calendar. I have Acrobat Reader 7.0 on my PC and would like to save the www.catholic-forum....

Batch converting of PDF files into searchable PDF files
Hello Group We need to convert about 500 multipage non-searchable PDF files into searchable PDF files. The original PDFs just contain the scanned documents and we plan to run them through an OCR program which will afterwards save them back in the PDF format. It seems that Omnipage 12 Pro Office edition would be able to do the job but Omnipage 12 Standard, which is much less expensive, seems to have many of the same features. Unfortunately I wasn't able to find a resource which lists the exact differences between the two programs. For now we'd require only one or two licences...

split one pdf file into multiple pdf files #2
Hi I am in urgent need of code for spliting one pdf file into multiple pdf files based on a particular condition. Guidance of how to go about writing the code for this problem would really helpful. Thanks, Suparana ...

How print a pdf file on both sides of a paper(Duplexing for pdf files)
Hi All, Please let me know how to print a pdf file on both sides of a papers. Thanks in advance. krishnapalvadi@gmail.com wrote: > Hi All, > Please let me know how to print a pdf file on both sides of a > papers. > Thanks in advance. > Do you have a duplex printer? krishnapalvadi@gmail.com wrote: > Hi All, > Please let me know how to print a pdf file on both sides of a > papers. > Thanks in advance. The same way that you would print any other document on both sides of the paper. You select duplex output in your printer driver properties. Presuma...

How to create two pdf files into one pdf file using pdflatex?
Hi, there! I use MikTeX on my PC. I have a tex file, I use pdflatex to create a pdf file. Now my problem is that I have other a pdf file, I want to put two pdf into a pdf file. Does anyone have suggestion to do this? I am like to put some tex code into my tex file, then I run pdflatex, I will create this two pdf files into one pdf file. Thanks! zyx wrote: > Hi, there! > > I use MikTeX on my PC. I have a tex file, I use pdflatex to create a > pdf file. Now my problem is that I have other a pdf file, I want to put > two pdf into a pdf file. Does anyone have suggesti...

PDF::Writer, create pdf and insert in other pdf file.
Hi folks(wharever it mean my english is so bad...) the following code create a PDF: #!/usr/bin/ruby require 'pdf/writer' pdf = PDF::Writer.new pdf.text "Hello Matz", :font_size => 22 pdf.save_as "novo.pdf" ######################################## now I wanna save this pdf as a last page of a existing pdf. any tips? -- Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/. On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 1:23 PM, Ricardo Pog <ricardo85x@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi folks(wharever it mean my english is so bad...) > > > the following code create a PDF: > >...

How to convert eps to pdf with pdf file size same as the eps file BBox? (using ps2pdf)
I want to convert an eps file to a pdf file and the paper size of the newly created pdf file be the same as the BBox of the eps file. Would you please show me what options I should specify if I use ps2pdf? Or you can tell me some other ways. Thanks, Peng > I want to convert an eps file to a pdf file and the paper size of the > newly created pdf file be the same as the BBox of the eps file. Would > you please show me what options I should specify if I use ps2pdf? Or > you can tell me some other ways. This will do it: -dEPSCrop Govert Govert J. Knopper wrote: >> I want...

insert pages from auxiliary pdf file into specific page locations in main pdf file
I am saddened by the slow death of usenet. Sigh. It is tax season in my neck of the woods. Depending on what tools you use,= you might end up with forms that don't make a duplex printer-friendly PDF = file. Since my home printer is "manually duplexed", I would like to write = a bash script to insert the pages of auxiliary files into a main PDF file. = Make a huge file that can print out easily with minimal manual interventio= n other than one flip of the whole file once the odd sides have printed out= .. Oh, and I'm looking for a free open source solution. ...

pdf file to text file ??
Hi....... All I am working on VC++ 6.0. In my application, I need to convert PDF file to text (ASCII) file format. Can I achieve this task without using PDF SDK. Is there any commandline EXE available that can perform such task.. Thanks in Advance. Kireet Gajera kireetgajera@gmail.com wrote: > I am working on VC++ 6.0. > > In my application, I need to convert PDF file to text (ASCII) file > format. > > Can I achieve this task without using PDF SDK. Yes. > Is there any commandline EXE available that can perform such task.. pdftotext in the xpdf package. Have a...

are pdf files graphic files?
Someone told me a PDF file is a graphics file, and I wondered about that. There are a few processes involved in a PDF file. Does anybody have a clear, technical answer? Is a PDF file actually a graphics file? wolfie Zol wrote: > Someone told me a PDF file is a graphics file, and I wondered > about that. There are a few processes involved in a PDF file. > Does anybody have a clear, technical answer? Is a PDF file > actually a graphics file? > > wolfie What do you mean by "graphics file"? It is a file format that Graphic Artists might produce. It can contai...

postscript file and pdf file
Dear Sir: On web if I need to download an ariticle, most of them are pdf files, which I can open it through acroread program. Ocassionally, there are postscript files(ps files). I noticed the size of a ps file is very big, while pdf file is small. I am curious why some people use ps files, not pdf files. I know that it is very easy to use ps2pdf, pdf2ps to change between them. I am just wondering if there is any advantage for using postscript files. By the way, for printing a postscript file, the printer needs to be a postscript printer, right? Thank you very much. Best Regards, Xia...

Import TIF/JPEG grafic files into PDF format <> export PDF files into TIF/JPEG format
Question 1: How can grafic files (JPEG or TIF) correctly be imported into a PDF file (no character recognition applied)? Experienced problems: a) the necessary memory of a 200 kB TIF color file will be expanded to 600 kb when imported into pdf (with JPEG this can be even worse) b) the quality of a JPEG picture decreases after import into a pdf file Question 2: How can a pdf file be converted back into TIF or JPEG files? Thank you for your answer Josef Laupheimer "Josef Laupheimer" <glasperlenspieler@web.de> wrote in message news:<bl53eu$81doq$4@ID-134779.news.uni-be...

[hyperref] Different behaviors of \href{<local pdf file>}{...} and \url{<local pdf file>}
Hi, I noticed different behaviors of \href{<local pdf file>}{...} and \url{<local pdf file>}, for instance with the following MCE: \documentclass{minimal} \usepackage{lmodern} \usepackage{hyperref} \hypersetup{pdfnewwindow} % This doesn't change anything \begin{document} \href{local.pdf}{Clic here to open local pdf} \url{local.pdf} \end{document} The first link opens the local.pdf file with the same PDF viewer (and, if pdfnewwindow is active, in a new window only with some viewers: with Acrabat and Evince but not with okular and xpdf). The second link opens the local.pdf ...

Can i crypt and uncrypt a file like an Excel File or PDF File with JCE
Hi, I search an example where i can crypt a file like PDF or Excel file with JCE ? Thanks Philippe ...

how i can extract text from the PDF files,power point files,Ms word files?
hi friends, i need to extract text from the power point files,word files,pdf files for my application.Is it possible to extract the text from the those files .If yes plz give solution to this problem.i would be thankful if u givve solution to this problem On 25 Oct 2005 23:10:44 -0700, "crazyprakash" <prince.prakash18@gmail.com> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said : >hi friends, > i need to extract text from the power point files,word >files,pdf files for my application.Is it possible to extract the text >from the th...

Making PS Files from PDF Files
Hello all together, I have Ghostscript 8.11 on a Windows 98 machine installed. Now I want to confert a PDF File into a PS file, so that I can print it from the Shell, without starting f.e. Adobe Acrobat Reader an print it from there. Do anyone know, what I must do to get a PS file or what to do to print it on a printer? Thank you and Bye Daniel Pomrehn ...

Making a pdf file from a dvi file
Hello, I am using the package Seminar. The dvi file is in landscape, like I want it to be. When I try to convert it to a pdf file for a presentation, the pdf file looks like portrait mode, with part of the landscape page cut off. How can I convert the dvi file to a proper landscape pdf file, with nothing cut off? The frustrating thing is that by experimenting endlessly, last year I found a way to do it, and forgot to write it down! no comment schrieb: > Hello, > > I am using the package Seminar. The dvi file is in landscape, like I > want it to be. When I try to convert i...

How convert pdf file to word file?
How convert pdf to doc. Pdf file is with pictures and tabels. There are a number of products that claim to do this. I feel that ABBYY Fine Reader is the best you can get. http://www.abbyy.com/ But the problem with this and any other converter is they cannot really recreate the invisible structure of the original document. So you may end up with a myriad of "styles" or "formatting" variations which are almost but not quite identical. Subsequent editing may prove to be a nightmare. And how can the converter program tell what text is in headers & footers an...

Combining PDF and XML files into PDF
My app reads an XML file into my database, allows editing the content, then produces a new XML file and, optionally, a PDF file from the same data. I'm currently using REXML to readin the XML file, Builder to write the new XML file out, and PDF::Writer to write the PDF file. Now I need to put the XML data into the PDF file and have the result conform to the Adobe spec for that. I'd really appreciate any suggestions re: the best / easiest approach to 'get there from here'. TIA, Bill On Sat, Dec 02, 2006 at 02:45:11AM +0900, bill walton wrote: > My app reads an XML file ...

PDF::API2 (Creating PDF files)
Hi, I'm creating PDF's on the fly, with Perl 5.8, using PDF::API2. I have no problem with most of it, albeit there's a bit of a learning curve with creating PDFs, but I can't figure out how to insert a URL with anchor text. i.e. It's easy enough to insert a URL as text, and the PDF will recognize it as a URL and make it clickable when viewed in Acrobat. However, I would like to be able to insert a URL, such as http://www.test.com yet have the link text be something like "Test Site" (with the actual URL not visible). I know it's possible to do...