About Spelling and Grammar in PDF files

Hey guys,

I have been using Acrobat Reader for the past eight years. In time, it
size and price increased, but its interface and features (useful for
normal users like me) other than not so useful options such as read
aloud were not my money's worth. It still misses a simple spell check
and grammar, atleast in my Acrobat Reader, things that take most of my
time to fix. It's a great addon if there was an option to check for
grammar and thesaurus based on the currently accepted styles.

Any help or suggestion for this newbie?

Regards
Kris

0
chikkubhai (38)
6/29/2007 2:11:43 AM
comp.text.pdf 5583 articles. 0 followers. ramon (1518) is leader. Post Follow

chikkubhai wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
> I have been using Acrobat Reader for the past eight years. In time, it
> size and price increased, but its interface and features (useful for
> normal users like me) other than not so useful options such as read
> aloud were not my money's worth. It still misses a simple spell check
> and grammar, atleast in my Acrobat Reader, things that take most of my
> time to fix. It's a great addon if there was an option to check for
> grammar and thesaurus based on the currently accepted styles.

Why would you want one? It is a page viewer, even if you did spot a
misspelling you can't do much about it. The spellchecker should be in the
originating application (InDesign, Quark etc).

My Acrobat Reader and other PDF viewers have all been free. There are some
open source readers; you could take one of them and add a spellchecker to
it.

--
Eric
0
chikkubhai <chikkubhai@gmail.com> wrote:

>I have been using Acrobat Reader for the past eight years. In time, it
>size and price increased

The price increased from free to free?
Aandi Inston

quite
6/29/2007 6:53:58 AM
Sorry for the confusion. I was talking about the Adobe Acrobat
Professional (not the reader) and also all other full versions of
Illustrator, Photoshop that I have been using for years, and always
referred to it as 'acrobat reader', all the while, although not
purchased by my own money, but a copy from my organization.

Anyways, again, Is there a way I could check my grammar and thesaurus
in Adobe Acrobate 7.0 Professional. Will they be doing any thing about
this important feature?

An excerpt from http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/pressroom/pressreleases/200501/010505Acrobat.html:
          Acrobat 7.0 Professional has an estimated street price of US
$449. Registered users of Acrobat 4.0, Acrobat 5.0, Acrobat 6.0
Standard, or Acrobat 6.0 Professional can upgrade to Acrobat 7.0
Professional for an estimated street price of US$159. Acrobat 7.0
Standard has an estimated street price of US$299. Registered users of
Acrobat 4.0, Acrobat 5.0 or Acrobat 6.0 Standard can upgrade to
Acrobat 7.0 Standard for an estimated street price of US$99. The
products also are available through Adobe's Open Options licensing
programs.

0
chikkubhai
6/30/2007 6:56:09 AM
chikkubhai wrote:

> Anyways, again, Is there a way I could check my grammar and thesaurus
> in Adobe Acrobate 7.0 Professional. Will they be doing any thing about
> this important feature?

Iceni Infix has a spell checker -- fully functional in the demo version.

No thesaurus.
0
PDFrank

read from text file
suppose I have a series of textfiles (i.e. file1.txt, file2.txt, file3.txt, etc.) suppose file1.txt looks like : 4 12 33 2 etc. ... say (20-by-1) matrix how can I import (in sequence)files 1 through 3 and place there values in a "20x3" matrix? Hi, M=zeros(20,3); for n=1:3 M(:,n)=load(sprintf('file%d.txt',n)); end J�r�me Hi, or M=load('file1.txt','ascii'); Amistad Hou ...

Ruby PRAWN PDF
Is there a simpler code to set the Headers and Footers on all N pages in a PDF file that is generated by PRAWN Plugin. the codes are to be written in a "report.pdf.prawn" file, which is a direct coding area of the PDF view page The below are the codes in the file report.pdf.prawn pdf.text "Creation Date " + Time.now.strftime('%d-%m-%Y') pdf.text "Page Count:#{pdf.page_count}" All i want is to position tes values to header's or/and footers left and right side. Any suggestion would be helpful. Thanks -- Posted via http://www.rub...

Re: reading an ascii file with variations in the number of #4
On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 07:38:33 -0800, Dee <dec386586@YAHOO.CA> wrote: >Hi John and other, >Thanks for your attempts. When I try to post a copy of a dummy dataset >the format gets messed up. I imagine you mean that the lines are too long and therefore wrap. I think you wouild be wise to try harder; shorten and eliminate fields to make the problem in effect narrower. Usually that can be done without losing the essence of the problem. >I did however email a couple people the >dummy dataset as an attachment. > > > >John I wrote: >> Dee wrote: >> >...

Print multiple PDF pages on one Sheet
Hi All! Could not find a better board for that, so sorry if that is the wrong one... We've got many HP Laserjet printers (from old LJ4 to new 4200), all installed on a Windows NT Print server with the newest PostScript Driver from HP. We can print multiple pages on one sheet, except PDF's. If we print a multiple-page PDF on one sheet, all pages will be printed in the top-left corner, so every page overlays the other. This only happens with PDF's, all other formats are working fine. With the PCL driver, it works as expected, but we don't want to use the PCL driver, it steals...

.spd file
Hi, This is Sinha. I am operating one scientific instrument called Sudden Ionospheric disturbance. It basically detects the any disturbance is occurring in the Ionosphere due to solar activity. It creates the data file as a .spd. Can somebody can help me to read this .spd file. Thank you! "PUNA RAM SINHA" <punaram.sinha@gmail.com> wrote in message <h4b69e$qpg$1@fred.mathworks.com>... > Hi, > > This is Sinha. I am operating one scientific instrument called Sudden Ionospheric disturbance. It basically detects the any disturbance is occurring in the Ionosphere ...

Checking the existence of a file
Hi all, I have a output file which is generated by a tool. I want to check whether the file exists or not. If exists then delete it and invoke the tool. Which one will be suitable for this case ifstream or ofstream to open the file? ifstream in; in.open(xxx,std::ios::in); if (in) { in.close(); in.clear(); remove(xxx); .} smilesonisamal@gmail.com wrote: > I have a output file which is generated by a tool. I want to check > whether the file exists or not. If exists then delete it and invoke > the tool. Which one will be suitable for this case...

PDF Viewer
I would like to create an embedded pdf viewer on a website that would allow visitors to view online documents but prevent them from downloading and saving them. Is there a way to do with Ruby? -- Kind Regards, Rajinder Yadav http://DevMentor.org Do Good! - Share Freely, Enrich and Empower people to Transform their lives. Rajinder Yadav wrote: > I would like to create an embedded pdf viewer on a website that would > allow visitors to view online documents but prevent them from > downloading and saving them. Is there a way to do with Ruby? This is really in the realm of client-s...

What would be a good schema for this xml file
All I want to do is have a xml file like this <Entertainment> <Movie> <Title>(Title Here)</Title> <Rating>(Rating Here)</Title> </Movie> <Movie> <Title>(Title Here)</Title> <Rating>(Rating Here)</Title> </Movie> <Movie> <Title>(Title Here)</Title> <Rating>(Rating Here)</Title> </Movie> <PS2> <Title>(Title Here)</Title> <Rating>(Rating Here)</Title> </PS2> </Entertainment> I try som...

How to get file name from URL object
Hi, I am trying to save web pages to file but sometimes the URL doesn't have the file name with it as www.google.com doesn't for example. In this case I don't know how to get the file name of the web page since it is not specified. If there is way to use the URL class or other classes to get the URL to look like so http://www.google.com/index.html then my problem would be solved. Is there anyone here who can help me, Thanks, Carl carlbernardi@gmail.com wrote: > Hi, > > I am trying to save web pages to file but sometimes the URL doesn't > have the file name...

Insert characters into certain position of file
I'm still having problems with this subject matter. If I have a line that is 600 characters long and I need to replace whatever is in characters (fields) 360 - 364 with the five digit code ABCDE, how do I do this? I've tried utilizing sed for this, but I get endpoint too large errors because I can't run a sed substitute command past 255 characters. Below is what I've tried to do, but I keep receiving endpoint too large errors when I put 360 in the command: sed "/^A00.*${INVNUM}.*${PRODNUM}/s/\([a-zA-Z0-9 ]\{1,360\}\)[a-z A-Z0-9 ]\{5\}/\1${LINEITNUM}/" $LFILE > ...

Re: [LogoForum] Grammar
--- In LogoForum@yahoogroups.com, "Dale Reed" <dale-reed@w...> wrote: >> By the way, I love to have the 10 pages "logo1.doc" as well. > > It is at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LogoForum/files/ > > Or if you e-mail me privately I will attach it to an e-mail just to you. > Dale > --- > $ dale-reed@a... Seattle, Washington USA $ I got the file. Thanks a lot. LogoForum messages are archived at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LogoForum ...

Access to extern struct in other header files
Hi all, I can't figure out why a can't use my struct TestStructure in other files. Any ideas? My project consists of main.c,lib1.h,lib1.c,lib2.c,lib2.h . main.c ------------------------------------- #include "lib1.h" void main(void) { MyFunction(ts); } ------------------------------------- lib1.h ------------------------------------- #include "lib2.h" void MyFunction(struct TestStructure *ts); ------------------------------------- lib1.c ------------------------------------- #include <stdio.h> #include "lib1.h" void MyFunction(struct TestSt...

Re: ODS to PDF or RTF question
Absolute layout (not yet production): ods listing close; ods layout start width=6in height=10in; ods region width=6in height=10in y=4in x=1in; proc report data=sashelp.class nowd; columns name height; where age > 14; run; ods layout end; ods pdf close; ods listing; -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Masoud Pajoh Sent: Monday, June 01, 2009 9:01 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: ODS to PDF or RTF question Is there a way to center a table vertically on a page. I am using proc report, , outputting to PDF or RTF Thanks. ...

Opening a mixed text data file and deleting the last x characters of every line
Hello, I'm trying to open a text file with text and data, and want to delete the last 16 characters of every line. Example: I have: XFOIL Version 6.93 Calculated polar for: NACA 63-415 1 1 Reynolds number fixed Mach number fixed xtrf = 1.000 (top) 1.000 (bottom) Mach = 0.000 Re = 1.000 e 6 Ncrit = 9.000 alpha CL CD CDp CM Top_Xtr Bot_Xtr CQ CDq ------- -------- --------- --------- -------- ------- ------- -------- -------- -3.500 -0.0619 0.00657 0.00152 -0.0747 0.6...

Authorization
Howdy, I'm using Apache 2.0 and I want to restrict access (AuthType Basic, etc.) to a particular directory *except* for certain files. For example, I want to prevent non-authorized users from seeing files other than foo.html and foo.rdf. I can easily do it the other way (allow all, requiring authorization for foo.*), but this seems...tricky. No easy negation in RegExp, etc., etc. Any help -- especially Apache config examples -- will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Cheers. Anon <anonymous@nospam.biz> wrote in message news:<bj8458$77s$1@balder.stud.idb...

Rotate/Angle Headers in PDF
Hello SAS Experts, Can someone please direct me if there's any equivalent "style(header)={htmlstyle="mso-rotate:45"}" in PROC REPORT for PDF ODS? I need to rotate the headers (vertically) in my PDF output. Any help/input will be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Frida Frida Aminova wrote: > Hello SAS Experts, > > Can someone please direct me if there's any equivalent > "style(header)={htmlstyle="mso-rotate:45"}" in PROC REPORT for PDF > ODS? > > I need to rotate the headers (vertically) in my PDF output. > > Any help...

HTMLTidy config file
I have been searching for a quick reference on creating config files for HTMLTidy for HTML-Kit. My goal is to retroactively convert xHTML to HTML strict 4.0. Don't ask why; I just need a config file for this task and have not found one. HTML-Kit did not intuitively present these options under Edit > Preference > Tidy. Its preferences focus on HTML to xHTML conversions. Let me know if you have good references on achieving this objective with or without HTML-Kit. A sample of the parameters passing to HTMLTidy would help. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed R0bert Nev...

HOw do you save files to current directory
I'm trying to save some figures as jpegs into my current directory. How would I do so? "vegeotto Ned" <sonic_crap@yahoo.com> wrote in message <frt2vi$acq$1@fred.mathworks.com>... > I'm trying to save some figures as jpegs into my current > directory. How would I do so? print -djpeg filename doc print for more options On Mar 20, 5:52 am, "Pekka " <pekka.nospam.kumpulai...@tut.please.fi> wrote: > "vegeotto Ned" <sonic_c...@yahoo.com> wrote in message > > <frt2vi$ac...@fred.mathworks.com>... ...

How to determine trap in PDF
Hi there, I am currently preparing some documents for print using QuarkXPress 6.5 on a Mac 10.3.9 machine. Before sending the PDFs to the printer I'd like to be sure that I have chosen the correct settings for trapping. However if I print from Quark as composite to a PS file and distill that PS file using the Acrobat distiller I can see no bleeds in the PDF (which seems obvious to me since the composite PS code can contain no trapping information). If I print from Quark colors seperated distiller won't let me distill it using PDF/X3. If I distill it using Standard I get a sing...

Java classes are always defined inside a single source code file ?!
Hi ! "Java classes are always defined inside a single source code file." I have found the above afirmation in the book "Java 2 programmer Exam Cram 2 (310-035)". However I am able to do something like this in a single file: public class CTest { public static void main( String[] args ) throws Exception { System.out.println("This is CTest !"); } } class Mebo { public static void main( String[] args ) { System.out.println("This is MEBO !"); } } Pay attention: the class Mebo is not public (it has package access). However, after com...

Windows text files, readable?
I write songs and download lyrics. I would like to know which format would be best to read it on my notebook. PDF seems nice but on the other hand I also want to make changes to the lyrics on my palm71. Can palm 71 read .txt files and write on it? John You might want to look at Documents To Go - this is a tool for taking PC-style files over to the Palm so that they can be used over there. Palm has no file system as such, so if you wanted to edit (or even view) txt files you'd need to have a program on the Palm to do it. DTG is quite good with things like Word, for example, ...

Finding the relative path of a file from a dir
Hi, a = '/home/suresh/doc/html/a1/' b = '/home/suresh/doc/' I am looking for a standard function which will return the location of b relative to a i.e. '../..' I have gone through the os and os.path modules, but could not find any function of use. Should I write my own? Thanks in advance, Suresh http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/browse_thread/thread/390d8d3e3ac8ef44/d8c74f96468c6a36?q=relative+path&rnum=1#d8c74f96468c6a36 Suresh Jeevanandam wrote: > a = '/home/suresh/doc/html/a1/' > b = '/home/suresh/doc/' > > ...

Gone for a spell...
Probably just under a week, but I'll be watching & will see what I can contribute from afar... David David@IBMMuseum.com ...

Searching a small file database
I don't want to use a db manager, like mysql, for such a small database but I'm finding this trickier than I thought and hope someone can provide some guidance. I have a restaurant menu with prices and other info in a small file. It's set up in a YAML-ish style, if you're familiar with that format. I'm just looking for some ideas on the best way to retrieve data based on a "keyword". What complicates things for me is that some of these keywords might be inside a nested block, such as "prices:". -navigation link: link1 link: link2 -menu chicke...

Report PDF
Hi all , I have been tried to print php file to pdf without any success. Using many tools for example , fpdf and html2fpdf library , similar result. below is my code , i did not why the pdf printed on the screen is different from the page on the browser, the aligment is out and some fields are missing . Anyone have success stories using tools above or other ,please share with me. Thanks <?php require '../pdf/html2fpdf.php'; ob_start(); ?> <HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Kim Seng Heng Intranet -> View Certificate</TITLE> <META http-equiv=3DContent-...