Breaking a multi-page PDF document into separate pages or images?

I sometimes want to break a multi-page PDF document into individual PDF
pages or JPEG or EPS images (if possible preserving the original
document's page size), for batch processing with Photoshop or
Illustrator.

The only way I've found to do this is to do a Save As...  in Acrobat,
selecting the desired "xxx Files" format in the Save As dialog box.

Are there other ways to do this?  ("Extract Pages" doesn't seem to do
it.)
0
AES
5/6/2004 7:32:41 PM
comp.text.pdf 5590 articles. 0 followers. ramon (1518) is leader. Post Follow

AES/newspost wrote:
> I sometimes want to break a multi-page PDF document into individual PDF
> pages or JPEG or EPS images (if possible preserving the original
> document's page size), for batch processing with Photoshop or
> Illustrator.
>
> The only way I've found to do this is to do a Save As...  in Acrobat,
> selecting the desired "xxx Files" format in the Save As dialog box.
>
> Are there other ways to do this?  ("Extract Pages" doesn't seem to do
> it.)

My command-line pdftk has a burst operation that splits a PDF into
individual pages:

   pdftk mydoc.pdf burst

 From there, you can open the PDF pages in Photoshop or Illustrator;
they both understand the PDF format.

Pdftk is free software: http://www.AccessPDF.com/pdftk/

Sid Steward
0
Sid
5/6/2004 10:26:15 PM
HI,

Although not an answer to your specific question, my clients using OctoTools
or my older OctoPDF do this "bursting" prior to converting text and report
info to PDF.  My software allows breaking larger reports into smaller ones
based on user defined variables within thier data.  Any data from within the
text/report file can be used as variables for bursting, pagination, and web
addressing.  If you'd like addtional info, go to www.octotools.com or call
me at 978 535-7676 (Boston, MA).  Thanks and I hope this is of use.

Larry T.
0
Larry
5/7/2004 1:23:06 PM
Thanks for replies pointing to various tools for breaking multi-page PDF
document into individual PDF pages (known as "bursting" in some
contexts, right?).

Should have made clear, I'm looking for way to do this within Acrobat,
on a Mac.

The Save As... command in Acrobat 5.0 offers the Format options:

    Adobe PDF Files     (NOTE THE "S")
    Encapsulated PostScript
    JPEG Files               ("S" AGAIN)
    PNG Files
    PostScript File         (NO "S")
    Rich Text Format
    TIFF Files

Of these, the JPEG and TIFF FileS options produce an individual image
file for each page (I suppose they couldn't do otherwise).  The
PostScript File option produces a single file; and the Adobe PDF FileS
option produces a single file.

(The others I've not tried, except the Encapsulated PostScript option,
which doesn't seem to work on my test file; some sort of color problem.)

You might say I'm just griping over the "Adobe PDF Files" option saying
"FileS" when it just means "File".  But seems as if Acrobat could (and
should) offer a "PDF burst" capability (and a "batch merge" capability)
somewhere amongst its Save As, Export, or Extract commands -- and it
doesn't appear to . . . ?
0
AES