Breaking a multi-page PDF document into separate pages or images?

I sometimes want to break a multi-page PDF document into individual PDF
pages or JPEG or EPS images (if possible preserving the original
document's page size), for batch processing with Photoshop or
Illustrator.

The only way I've found to do this is to do a Save As...  in Acrobat,
selecting the desired "xxx Files" format in the Save As dialog box.

Are there other ways to do this?  ("Extract Pages" doesn't seem to do
it.)
0
AES
5/6/2004 7:32:41 PM
comp.text.pdf 5580 articles. 36 followers. ramon (1518) is leader. Post Follow

AES/newspost wrote:
> I sometimes want to break a multi-page PDF document into individual PDF
> pages or JPEG or EPS images (if possible preserving the original
> document's page size), for batch processing with Photoshop or
> Illustrator.
>
> The only way I've found to do this is to do a Save As...  in Acrobat,
> selecting the desired "xxx Files" format in the Save As dialog box.
>
> Are there other ways to do this?  ("Extract Pages" doesn't seem to do
> it.)

My command-line pdftk has a burst operation that splits a PDF into
individual pages:

   pdftk mydoc.pdf burst

 From there, you can open the PDF pages in Photoshop or Illustrator;
they both understand the PDF format.

Pdftk is free software: http://www.AccessPDF.com/pdftk/

Sid Steward
0
Sid
5/6/2004 10:26:15 PM
HI,

Although not an answer to your specific question, my clients using OctoTools
or my older OctoPDF do this "bursting" prior to converting text and report
info to PDF.  My software allows breaking larger reports into smaller ones
based on user defined variables within thier data.  Any data from within the
text/report file can be used as variables for bursting, pagination, and web
addressing.  If you'd like addtional info, go to www.octotools.com or call
me at 978 535-7676 (Boston, MA).  Thanks and I hope this is of use.

Larry T.
0
Larry
5/7/2004 1:23:06 PM
Thanks for replies pointing to various tools for breaking multi-page PDF
document into individual PDF pages (known as "bursting" in some
contexts, right?).

Should have made clear, I'm looking for way to do this within Acrobat,
on a Mac.

The Save As... command in Acrobat 5.0 offers the Format options:

    Adobe PDF Files     (NOTE THE "S")
    Encapsulated PostScript
    JPEG Files               ("S" AGAIN)
    PNG Files
    PostScript File         (NO "S")
    Rich Text Format
    TIFF Files

Of these, the JPEG and TIFF FileS options produce an individual image
file for each page (I suppose they couldn't do otherwise).  The
PostScript File option produces a single file; and the Adobe PDF FileS
option produces a single file.

(The others I've not tried, except the Encapsulated PostScript option,
which doesn't seem to work on my test file; some sort of color problem.)

You might say I'm just griping over the "Adobe PDF Files" option saying
"FileS" when it just means "File".  But seems as if Acrobat could (and
should) offer a "PDF burst" capability (and a "batch merge" capability)
somewhere amongst its Save As, Export, or Extract commands -- and it
doesn't appear to . . . ?
0
AES

multi homed machines
Hiya, can anybody tell me how I determine whether my machine is multi homed or not. I suppose I could check /etc/hosts but I'd like a command if there is one. thanks much G grahamo wrote: > can anybody tell me how I determine whether my machine is multi homed > or not. I suppose I could check /etc/hosts but I'd like a command if > there is one. look at the back, but failing that ifconfig -a will give you a list of all configured interfaces, though note you may have interfaces that aren't configured. /etc/hosts does not tell you what interfaces your box has; typi...

std::map with multi values
Hi, I'm using a std::map and I need two values in it. The key is a std::string value and the value of the std::map must have two values (named lower and upper). Should I use a struct like struct range { T lower; T upper; range( const T& a, const T& b) : lower(a), upper(b) {} }; std::map< std::string, range > x Is there a more efficent way? Thanks for help Phil On 8/16/2010 6:20 AM, Philipp Kraus wrote: > I'm using a std::map and I need two values in it. The key is a > std::string value and the value of the std::map must...

Smaller margins/no header/on a single page?
Hi, I am quite new to LaTeX and I need to get a large figure on a page, it doesn't quite fit across the page so I have done the following: \documentclass{book} .... \newenvironment{changemargin}{ \begin{list}{}{ \setlength{\leftmargin}{-1cm} \setlength{\rightmargin}{-1cm} \setlength{\textwidth}{\textwidth+2cm} }\item[]}{\end{list}} .... \begin{figure}[p] \begin{changemargin} \fbox{ \begin{minipage}{\textwidth} .... \end{minpage} } \end{changemargin} \end{figure} This all seems to be working fine. However, I am unable to decrease the top margin (therefore increase the \texthe...

[News] Microsoft's CEO Breaks Promise About Retirement (Could Leave Sooner)

Conveyer Belt Image Script question -- other direction
Hi, I'm a perl/C programmer but a Javascript problem has been dumped into my lap. A client of mine has a freeware javascript on their site which shows a series of pictures on a web page in a conveyer belt fashion (I call it a crawl). The script when running goes in the direction of right to left, they would like it to go in the direction of right to left. There are no config options at the head of this script to change it's direction. I've looked at the code but nothing is jumping out at me that would solve this problem. I've pasted the script in below. I'd really apprec...

Breakpoints Not Breaking
I set a breakpoint and Access does not stop and show the code windoe for me to step through code. Here are three lines at the beginning of a button click event: - MsgBox "RLNTEST-made it to here 1" - lngLooper = lngLooper + 1 - MsgBox "RLNTEST-made it to here 2" The breakpoint is on the 'lngLooper' line. Instead, both msgboxes are displayed and the code keeps right on going and I cannot debug my error. What setting in the editor is not correct? At Tools/Options, "Error Trapping" is set to "Break in Class module". (all checkboxes in...

memoir: how to suppress page number on first page of toc?
Dear All, I tried \AtBeginDocument{\addtocontents{toc}{\protect\thispagestyle{empty}}} to suppress the page number on the first page of my table of contents but it still shows. Putting \thispagestyle{empty} immediately before \tableofcontents did not help, either. What can I do? Thank you in advance, Oliver. -- Dr. Oliver Corff e-mail: corff@zedat.fu-berlin.de Oliver Corff <corff@zedat.fu-berlin.de> wrote: : Dear All, : I tried : \AtBeginDocument{\addtocontents{toc}{\protect\thispagestyle{empty}}} : to suppress the page number on th...

Lost document in bizarre circumstances
I wrote a long and very private document (about my health if you must know), and to prevent the kids reading it I altered the font to Marlett before saving it. I reopened the document, selected the entire document and changed the font back to Times. Result - squares! Row after row. I assume a square represents an unprintable character I've tried resaving as a plain text doc then opening it again but all I get is page after page of question marks. Same if I open the .doc file in Notepad. There are no autorecovery or backup files to be found anywhere. Anybody know what h...

HP gives schools a break
http://news.com.com/HP+gives+schools+a+break/2100-1012_3-5417621.html ...

multi thread
Dear All, We have a multi thread C++ program. The threads fetch data (with prepared cursor) from an Informix DB parallel, but we got coredump (not always) The operating system is: ReliantUNIX-Y 5.45 B2005 RM600 4/768 R4000. We uses the following packages: PKGINST: SIthreads NAME: Threads and Reentrant System Libraries CATEGORY: optional ARCH: R4000 VERSION: 5.45B20 LOAD: 04 BASEDIR: /opt VENDOR: Fujitsu Siemens Computers PSTAMP: senior020430112053 INSTDATE: Jan 28 2004 02:29 PM STATUS: completely installed FILE...

[News] Updates Don't Just Break Windows, They Break Consoles Too
Update brick your 360? Speak up ,----[ Quote ] | Since yesterday's update, there are numerous reports about 360s | being bricked. Some people suspect that this is being done by | Microsoft intentionally to stop modders and hackers. Xbox Scene | thinks it has more to do with certain combinations of hardware | and firmware. `---- http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2006/11/01/update-brick-your-360-speak-up/ More false positives (punishing the innocent) or just incompetence? Related: Xbox Live Outages All Over US? ,----[ Quote ] | In any case the outages do not seem to affect everyone althoug...

document.write() problem
Hi, please can somebody help me with this? I have a HTML document displayed in an iframe. Controls on the HTML page are data bound to an XML file. I use a drop-down list to move between the different recordsets in the XML file and hence change the text displayed in the HTML page. I use JavaScript to display the contents of the iframe in a separate window. The new window displays the HTML page. The problem is that contents of the HTML page are always for the first recordset in the XML file even when I change to a different recordset. I found that if I omit the document.write from the code t...

Does this separate thread connection need another as_req/rep pair?
Okay, I have a client communicating with a server, and they've gone through the AS_REQ/AS_REP dance and that's all working fine. Now, I want the server to send the client info about another connection it needs to make back to the server on another thread. Does this connection need to do another AS_REQ/AS_REP exchange, or is there some cool way to take advantage of the original authentication on the first thread? Basically, in my tests I've found the initial AS_REQ authentication is pretty slow, so I end up timeslicing it when I've got lots of connections ...

Angle within vectors using image processing
Hi I?m studying real time video and image processing for a project, what I need for the first part of the project is to know the angle within two vectors, one of them represent the X axe of the image and the second vector represent the normal vector from a defined geometric shape (a rectangle) that will define the moving object that I&#8217;m tracking Saludos! The dot product is the usual way to calculate the angle between two vectors... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dot_product On Sep 10, 2:16=A0pm, "Cristobal " <cgr...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi > I?m studying rea...

maximum number of pages that scan in one go -- too few
I would greatly appreciate any suggestions to fix this problem: I have the Scandall 2001 software by [fujitsu.com?], a Compaq pc, and a Brother MFC 6800 scanner/printer: With the same setup I used to be able to scan lots of paper pages in one go, except of course if some page got stuck or awkward in the document feeder. But now it's as if something has changed: now the maximum number of paper pages that scan in one go into the document feeder is usually 7, or 2, which is too few. After fairly thorough review there is no relevant setting, tip, workaround, etc. in the Scandall 2...

print pdf : can I select smaller font?
Hi, I want to print a large PDF file and wonder how I can select a smaller print font. In viewing the file I can zoom in and zoom out, but I can not find how to do that in printing. Is there a way to do that? Thanks. clinton__bill@hotmail.com wrote: > I want to print a large PDF file and wonder how I can select a >smaller print font. > > In viewing the file I can zoom in and zoom out, but I can not find >how to do that in printing. Some versions of Acrobat Reader or Adobe Reader have an option to either "print selected" or "print view". -------...

rotating PDF figure/table
I know similar questions have come up in this forum but I can't find a satisfactory answer. I have a large PDF which I want to include as a table in my article and I want to rotate it. So, I do: \clearpage \begin{sidewaystable} \begin{center} \caption{Appendix 1. Distribution of bonds by country and year.} \label{tab:distribution} \includegraphics[height=15.0cm]{distribution1.pdf} \end{center} \end{sidewaystable} \clearpage and this rotates my table but leaves too much space on one of the sides, which means that some of the graph goes out of the page. I tried using the landscape packag...

multi dim array?
Hi (again), I have a multi-dimensional array.. walking through an incoming string like this: def translate(msg) some_alphabet = [ ["a","A"], ["b","B"], ["c","C"], ["d","D"] ] msg.split(//).inject("") { |result, char| result += some_alphabet[2][1] } end This replaces everything in msg with a "C", as it's the third one in the array. But I'm looking for a way to replace not by integer/index but by char, like: some_alphabet["c"][1] I hope you know what I mean.. I ...

How to use Regex to breakdown a pattern and use the pattern to break down a string
I will get a user defined patten "XXXXX##', "##XXXXX##", "##XX##XX##", "XXX" etc. How to break down this string pattern using Regex and apply it to data; Pattern "XXXXXXXX##" to break out string "00000078.7\r\n" to get "00000078.7"; Pattern ""##XX##XX##" to break out string "LB78KL.7l\n" to get "78.7"; etc...... Or what is the best way to do this? Thanks, Jerry On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 15:14:45 -0700 (PDT), ChrisC <gjwpp88@gmail.com> wrote: >I will get a user d...

[Breaking NEWS] FSF Borks Novell !
RoyS you can rejoice! UPDATE 1-Software group reviews Novell's right to sell Linux http://yahoo.reuters.com/news/articlehybrid.aspx?storyID=urn:newsml:reuters.com:20070202:MTFH94786_2007-02-02_21-26-28_N02198397&type=comktNews&rpc=44 BOSTON, Feb 2 (Reuters) - The Free Software Foundation is reviewing Novell Inc.'s (NOVL.O: Quote, Profile , Research) right to sell new versions of Linux operating system software, a member of the foundation's board said on Friday. The foundation controls intellectual property rights to key parts of the open-source Linux operating sy...

how to get contours into an image
Hi, I am not clear how to use the output of command imcontour(). I need to use the contour lines of an image as another image (like an edge image where contour lines on a dark(zero) image), so that I can run a hoough circle detection function on the contour image. But imcontour() gives a figure not an image. And i dont understand how to construct a countour image using the output of imcontiour(). Appreciate any help to get this clarified. Many thanks in advance! Pavi Hello Pavithra Did you find out how to get the contour into an image? I'm having the same problem as you and I would v...

Could Enhanced MR/CT Image be got, directly or indirectly
In the DICOM Standards, there has been exist there kinds of Enhanced object, namely Enhanced MR/CT/XA/XRF. But I never found the existing of these kinds of image in the hospitals. So, I doubt that could I get some images of these kinds? Moreover, Is it proper to get these images through converting: from the common kinds of Images, such as MR/CT, to the new ones? On Jun 12, 8:04 am, bingyi <wlq.ch...@gmail.cn> wrote: > In the DICOM Standards, there has been exist there kinds of Enhanced > object, namely Enhanced MR/CT/XA/XRF. But I never found the existing > of these ...

Searching tool for lossless (!) 90 deg. rotating (and saving) of *.jpg images?
I would like to rotate 90 degrees (and afterwards save) a couple of jpg/jpeg files. Unfortuantely the saving operation is done by the most graphic programs I have seen only with a (minimum) loss of quality. Is there a tool which allows rotating without loss of data/re-compression? Frank inn200@hotmail.com (Frank Callone) writes: > I would like to rotate 90 degrees (and afterwards save) a couple of > jpg/jpeg files. Unfortuantely the saving operation is done by the > most graphic programs I have seen only with a (minimum) loss of > quality. Is there a tool which all...

JApplet not showing when page revisited
Hi all, I have created a JApplet and put it on the web, the applet itself loads fine the first time it is viewed but if you refresh the page or visit another page and then return the applet does not display properly (you can only see the gray background). I know that I would have to put something in the start() and stop() methods but I'm not sure of what. Does anyone know how to fix this, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I would prefer to completely destroy the applet if the page is changed and a new copy loaded once the user gets back to the applet. Thanks in advance for any...

Count values in multi dimensional array
Dear All >From an XML file, I have an array (hash) generated [1]. Unfortunately I haven't figured out how i can count the number of values in the array "Exchange". I was trying with $var = @arr, key and scalar syntax but also my attempt try was not successful [2]. With this example [1], I am expecting to have a count of 3 for the Key "Exchange". May I ask for a helping hand? Kind Regards Oliver [1] $VAR1 = { 'InputList' => { 'InputListAction' => 'Replace', 'Instr...