Content in PDF form fields disappears when tabbed out

Hi,
  I hope someone can shed some light on a PDF form problem that I'm
experiencing.  My company is using PDF forms online where contractors
from different states can bring it up, fill out the editable fields
and save the form or print it out.  This can either be done online or
on their local machines after downloading them.  These forms are very
similar with the exception that forms for CA users would have
California in the form, Colorado for CO users, and so on...  Other
than that, the fields are the same.  The problem is when I bring up a
form for CO (Colorado) users, fills out the first field, tabs to the
next field, the content in the first field disappears.  If I tab back
to the first field, then the content is displayed as highlighted, and
disappears again when I tab out.  This happens for all fields.  Funny
thing is, the CA form works fine and shows the content of the fields
already filled out.  But the CO form does not.  The content doesn't
show when I print it out.  Whoever created these forms is no longer
with the company.  I'm using Acrobat Reader 4.0.  Any help on this
matter would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Ken.
0
hhpt

A few possibilities.

You will need the full version of Acrobat (not Acrobat Reader) to do any of these.

The field could have been erroneously configured to do this. Check for any JavaScript that the field
may contain. Certain Format, Keystroke, Calculation, or onBlur scripts can cause this sort of effect.

Perhaps another field is applying an effect on this problematic field. You would have to track down
the script that is causing this effect and remove it.

The field may have become corrupted. A similar situation to this has happened to me a few times in
the past. In most cases you need to delete the field from the document (always work on a copy of the
form), and then do a Save As (not a Save), to force Acrobat to re-write the form. Then close the
form and close Acrobat. Restart Acrobat, and re-open the form, then rebuild the field. DO NOT COPY
AND PASTE THE FIELD FROM THE ORIGINAL FORM. This will only reproduce the corruption. Instead create
the field from scratch, and try the form again. In one rare case it happened that my form was too
corrupted and I had to trash it. Hopefully this won't happen to you.

Bryan

HT wrote:
> Hi,
>   I hope someone can shed some light on a PDF form problem that I'm
> experiencing.  My company is using PDF forms online where contractors
> from different states can bring it up, fill out the editable fields
> and save the form or print it out.  This can either be done online or
> on their local machines after downloading them.  These forms are very
> similar with the exception that forms for CA users would have
> California in the form, Colorado for CO users, and so on...  Other
> than that, the fields are the same.  The problem is when I bring up a
> form for CO (Colorado) users, fills out the first field, tabs to the
> next field, the content in the first field disappears.  If I tab back
> to the first field, then the content is displayed as highlighted, and
> disappears again when I tab out.  This happens for all fields.  Funny
> thing is, the CA form works fine and shows the content of the fields
> already filled out.  But the CO form does not.  The content doesn't
> show when I print it out.  Whoever created these forms is no longer
> with the company.  I'm using Acrobat Reader 4.0.  Any help on this
> matter would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.
>
> Ken.

0
ThePDFExpert
1/29/2004 4:31:08 AM
I was using Acrobat Reader 4.0.  I installed 5.0.5 and tried it again,
and it works fine.  Wonder if it's a version compatibility issue.  In
either case, I'll look into your suggestion Bryan.  Thanks alot for
your help.

ThePDFExpert <bryang@sympatico.ca> wrote in message news:<40188C8C.8070405@sympatico.ca>...
> A few possibilities.
>
> You will need the full version of Acrobat (not Acrobat Reader) to do any of these.
>
> The field could have been erroneously configured to do this. Check for any JavaScript that the field
> may contain. Certain Format, Keystroke, Calculation, or onBlur scripts can cause this sort of effect.
>
> Perhaps another field is applying an effect on this problematic field. You would have to track down
> the script that is causing this effect and remove it.
>
> The field may have become corrupted. A similar situation to this has happened to me a few times in
> the past. In most cases you need to delete the field from the document (always work on a copy of the
> form), and then do a Save As (not a Save), to force Acrobat to re-write the form. Then close the
> form and close Acrobat. Restart Acrobat, and re-open the form, then rebuild the field. DO NOT COPY
> AND PASTE THE FIELD FROM THE ORIGINAL FORM. This will only reproduce the corruption. Instead create
> the field from scratch, and try the form again. In one rare case it happened that my form was too
> corrupted and I had to trash it. Hopefully this won't happen to you.
>

> Bryan
>

> HT wrote:
> > Hi,
> >   I hope someone can shed some light on a PDF form problem that I'm
> > experiencing.  My company is using PDF forms online where contractors
> > from different states can bring it up, fill out the editable fields
> > and save the form or print it out.  This can either be done online or
> > on their local machines after downloading them.  These forms are very
> > similar with the exception that forms for CA users would have
> > California in the form, Colorado for CO users, and so on...  Other
> > than that, the fields are the same.  The problem is when I bring up a
> > form for CO (Colorado) users, fills out the first field, tabs to the
> > next field, the content in the first field disappears.  If I tab back
> > to the first field, then the content is displayed as highlighted, and
> > disappears again when I tab out.  This happens for all fields.  Funny
> > thing is, the CA form works fine and shows the content of the fields
> > already filled out.  But the CO form does not.  The content doesn't
> > show when I print it out.  Whoever created these forms is no longer
> > with the company.  I'm using Acrobat Reader 4.0.  Any help on this
> > matter would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.
> >
> > Ken.
0
hhpt
1/29/2004 11:27:36 PM
hhpt@hotmail.com (HT) wrote:

>I was using Acrobat Reader 4.0.  I installed 5.0.5 and tried it again,
>and it works fine.  Wonder if it's a version compatibility issue.

If you want a form to work in Reader 4, you must use one of the base
fonts for every form field. That is the 12-14 font names that appear
above the line.  Otherwise you will see exactly the symptoms you
described, among others.
Aandi Inston  quite@dial.pipex.com http://www.quite.com

quite

PDF PDF PDF
For anyone struggling to figure out how to create a PDF in SWX it's pretty simple but you may have to have the Bluebeam version of swx FIRST go to Tools>Options and check "Save as PDF" Then you can save them right from the save as dialog. Maybe I'm the only dumbass that could't figure that out! ;0) But it was in help under "PDF" An easier way is to download a program from www.pdf995.com that "prints" you files to a PDF foramat. This program works with SW and any other program you use to print with. "3d" <jmiller at marvelindustri...

PDF forms. Verify fields before saving PDF.
I have two buttons on my PDF form. A print and save button. The print button verifies that all the fields have been filled in before calling this.print(). How can I verify the data before saving? Right now, I'm calling the 'Execute a menu item' which call the 'Save As' dialog box. Is there a way of programmatically calling the 'Save As' dialog box? ...

text fields on PDF forms
I was asked to create a directory for some students that have taken a course. Initially I started with Illustrator but then I was told that the person who would input the information (first, last name, address etc) didnt know how to use it. My job was to create the design and convert it into a form. The directory has 15 pages in total, each page contains 6 boxes (6 students per page) and each box contains 8 entry fields for every student.I created the PDF file and created the text input fields with the form tool on page 1 and duplicated the fields for the additional 14 pages. My problem is th...

pdf \ text (get rid of text in pdf)

FDF PDF FORM copy to PDF without forms
Dear all did someone know a tool which is able to convert a pdf file with forms to a regular pdf file without forms? The best would be if it is possible to select the fields which should change from form to plain pdf. I like to use it on a Linux box. Cheers Reimar -- Forschungszentrum Juelich email: R.Bauer@fz-juelich.de http://www.fz-juelich.de/icg/icg-i/ ================================================================== a IDL library at ForschungsZentrum Juelich http://www.fz-juelich.de/icg/icg-i/idl_icglib/idl_lib_intro.html "Reimar Bauer" <R.Bauer@fz-juelich.de> wro...

[ANN] Word Form to PDF Form by eDocPrinter PDF Pro
New Features: I. Word Form ==> PDF Form by Word-addin Text field, Dropdown list, Checkbox, Also Mutli-line text field, Submit and Reset button View the sample now: PDF-Form sample: http://www1.iteksoft.com/download/demo/demoform1.pdf Original Word-Form sample: http://www1.iteksoft.com/download/demo/demoform1.doc Also (1) Word Addin - Heading to PDF bookmarks; links, cross-references, TOC, and etc to PDF links; ... (2) PowerPoint Addin - Outlines to PDF bookmarks; links and cross-references to PDF links; ... (3) Excel Addin - Sheet names to PDF bookmarks; Hyperlinks and cross-references t...

How to change form field contents in existing PDF using PHP?
(Probably old issue but I didn't find a posting) Simple case: 1. I have a PDF file I made with Acrobat PRO. It contains a form with two fields, "Name" and "TestScore". 2. From my PHP file on linux server I just want to open this PDF file and change the content of the Name and Testscore form fields. Could someone show me a simple code example on this? And what do I need of addons? PDFlib and licences? ...

ANN: Fly Text to PDF

Converting PDF form to static PDF
PDF form consist two files - PDF and FDF. I want only static PDF image of filled form because I'm afraid that some users don't know that PDF and FDF file must be store together and that FDF file must be clicked to view form. How can I make static PDF image of interactive form? ...

Convert PDF image to PDF text
Hi, I have a PDF file with image text documents. hence I can't search the text. How can I convert it to searchable PDF file? Thanx You will have to scan it using an OCR (Optical Character Recognition) application and then create a PDF file. -- Don Vancouver, USA <WhiteLen@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1193737890.691267.165820@z9g2000hsf.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > > I have a PDF file with image text documents. hence I can't search the > text. How can I convert it to searchable PDF file? > > Thanx > Any recommendation for OCR application? ...

Finaly, a way to save your PDF Form data: Save-PDF-Forms.com
Save-PDF-Forms.com will enable your Adobe Acrobat forms with the Local Save feature. Users of the free Acrobat Reader will be able to fill out, save, and even email the form without losing their responses. Be sure to visit our website to obtain FREE 2005 Savable State Income Tax forms. ...

Postscript to PDF with pdf-tools, pdf-writer, or other
Does anyone have a way to convert Postscript to PDF using pdf-tools, pdf-writer, or other method? Any suggestions? On 14/04/2008, Sean Nakasone <seannakasone@yahoo.com> wrote: > Does anyone have a way to convert Postscript to PDF using pdf-tools, > pdf-writer, or other method? Any suggestions? ps2pdf is standard on any install of Ghostscript, at least on most flavours of Linux/BSD Farrel ...

convert PDF images to PDF text (OCR)
Hi, I have a book which was entirely scanned into a PDF, there are approximately 300 pages. The problem is that each page is an image of the paper page, not selectable text. How can I convert this PDF made of images to a text-selectable PDF? Or directly convert it to Word? I suppose I'll need some form of OCR. Thanks in advance, Raphael Yes, since you have an image, you need to OCR it into data. You will not have much luck with any formating info, but most OCR programs today to a pretty good job if the image is fairly clean . Larry T. larrynospam@nospamjbmsystems.com wrote in message...

scanned image pdf to searchable text pdf
We have a lot of pdf files that are just scanned images of documents. How easy is it to change these into pdf's that we can search for specific words. I believe Adobe Acrobat Capture will do this when the document is originally scanned, but can it use pdf's that have already been created. If it can, can this process be automated to convert 100s of pdf files? Are there other alternatives to Adobe Acrobat Capture as it is not cheap for a large number of documents? I am new to this, so please keep it simple. Thanks for any help. Adrian HI, As you indicated, your pdf's are ...

PDF::Writer, create pdf and insert in other pdf file.
Hi folks(wharever it mean my english is so bad...) the following code create a PDF: #!/usr/bin/ruby require 'pdf/writer' pdf = PDF::Writer.new pdf.text "Hello Matz", :font_size => 22 pdf.save_as "novo.pdf" ######################################## now I wanna save this pdf as a last page of a existing pdf. any tips? -- Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/. On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 1:23 PM, Ricardo Pog <ricardo85x@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi folks(wharever it mean my english is so bad...) > > > the following code create a PDF: > >...

PDF::API2
Hello All, I am new to PDF files so I don't really know if what I want to do is possible and how to use the PDF::API2 modules. I need to extract information from columns in a table ( I assume that PDF does not know anything about tables). What I was thinking of doing was finding the horizontal location of the header (I know what it should be), then extract all text that starts at that location. I have played around with the PDF::API2 module and read the 'Using PDF::API2 - The code' help page, however it doesn't show me how to extract information from an exi...

PDF::API2
Hello All, I am new to PDF files so I don't really know if what I want to do is possible and how to use the PDF::API2 modules. I need to extract information from columns in a table ( I assume that PDF does not know anything about tables). What I was thinking of doing was finding the horizontal location of the header (I know what it should be), then extract all text that starts at that location. I have played around with the PDF::API2 module and read the 'Using PDF::API2 - The code' help page, however it doesn't show me how to extract information from an existing file. ...

pdf to dvi to pdf?
I need help with what seems to be a simple problem. I have a collection of pdf manuscript to submitt to a on-demand publisher. They want them to be: (1)6in x 9in with 1/2in margins allound (2) and embedded fonts. The problem is there are: (1) 8.5in x 11in with 1in margins (2) and the fonts aren't embedded. Perl pdf mod is one possibility, what would be involved with doing this with LaTex? I wanting to stay with open source solutions(Linux). TIA, David editor@deepmeanings.com (David Jackon) schrieb: > I need help with what seems to be a simple problem. > I have a collection of pdf manuscript to submitt to a on-demand > publisher. They want them to be: > (1)6in x 9in with 1/2in margins allound > (2) and embedded fonts. > > The problem is there are: > (1) 8.5in x 11in with 1in margins > (2) and the fonts aren't embedded. > > Perl pdf mod is one possibility, what would be involved with doing > this with LaTex? I wanting to stay with open source solutions(Linux). Did I understand? You have a text in a pdf-document with a textwidth of 6.5in (8.5in-2in) and want to get a pdf-document with a textwidth of 5in? The line and pagebreaking should be changed? -- Ulrike Fischer e-mail: zus�tzlich meinen Vornamen vor dem @ einf�gen. e-mail: add my first name between the news and the @. Ulrike Fischer <news@nililand.de> wrote in message news:<Xns951275EACB968nililandnililandabcd@nililand.de>... > Did I understand? Y...

Embedding PDF into PDF ?
I have read from websearching that it is possible to embed a smaller PDF into a main PDF, but cannot find out how this is done. Would I have to open the PDF as a text file and have my program locate a certain PDF command, then literally just stream the raw smaller PDF into it ? Any links or info would be very much aprpeciated Thanks Paul On Wed, 14 Jul 2004, Paul Champan wrote: > I have read from websearching that it is possible to embed a smaller PDF > into a main PDF, but cannot find out how this is done. Do you want to merge 2 pdf files or "place" pdf files into a ...

How to parse a PDF for form fields
Hi, is there a possibility to extract the form fields and may be there values from a pdf document? Perhaps there exists a JAVA Api for such a task? thanx bye Stephan... http://www.crionics.com/products/jpdf/template.jsp Best regards, Farid. "Stephan Koser" <skoser@web.de> wrote in message news:c7fkf0$n0m$1@online.de... > Hi, > > is there a possibility to extract the form fields and may be there values > from a pdf document? > Perhaps there exists a JAVA Api for such a task? > > thanx > > bye Stephan... > > See http://www.lowagie.com/i...

PDF Form Field Duplication
Hi, Firstly, thanks for looking. In regards to PDF forms. I have a combo box and have chosen my value. I want that value to be displayed later in a text box further down the form. Is there a way to do this? Calculate? Validate? Any ideas welcome. Thanks, Marcus YOu can do this using javascript. If you have any programming experience, read the javascript manual that comes with full Acrobat, and you will see some examples. If you don't have any programming experience, good luck!! "Marcus G." <marcusg911@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:4270e80e$0$10304$afc38c8...

Copy from a PDF to PDF
Is it possible to copy a piece of text from a page (not the whole page) from a PDF file and paste it into another PDF file in a desired position? Thanks in article YT2Fb.22892$vi2.19893@twister.auna.com, jesusp at jesusp@arrakis.es wrote on 12/20/03 1:09 PM: > Is it possible to copy a piece of text from a page (not the whole page) from > a PDF file and paste it into another PDF file in a desired position? - Yep - copy and paste. You may have to crop it first to get just what you want. And it may not paste into position - you need to move it around. - I suppose it depends on which applications you have at hand. Acrobat will certainly do it. MSD Thx, I crop the desired rectangle in the first PDF, select it with the TouchUp Object Tool, then copy it, but the WHOLE page is pasted in the second PDF and I'd like to have only the part I want. At least this is what I get with ACROBAT 5.0. Am I doing something wrong? "WharfRat" <wharfrat@footprintsphotographics.com> wrote in message news:BC09FB34.10D43%wharfrat@footprintsphotographics.com... in article YT2Fb.22892$vi2.19893@twister.auna.com, jesusp at jesusp@arrakis.es wrote on 12/20/03 1:09 PM: > Is it possible to copy a piece of text from a page (not the whole page) from > a PDF file and paste it into another PDF file in a desired position? - Yep - copy and paste. You may have to crop it first to get just what you want. And it may not paste into position - you need to move it around. - I...

4x PDF Help
Hi Everyone -- we've launched a new question and answer site for all PDF questions. It's based on the highly popular technology platform used by StackOverflow.com, and provides a great environment for getting your questions answered and answering other people's questions. Check it out --> http://help.4xpdf.com/ Cheers, - Rowan. ...

PDF TO PDF MULTIPAGES
Hello, (gs 8.54 -Windows XP) i try this to convert a pdf file to one pdf file per page: gs.exe -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -o c:\fic-%d.pdf -q c:\colle.pdf It doesn't work. Is works with jpeg files: gs.exe -sDEVICE=jpeg -o c:\fic-%d.jpg -q c:\colle.pdf Thanks for Help. Christophe BADET Christophe BADET wrote: > Hello, > > (gs 8.54 -Windows XP) > i try this to convert a pdf file to one pdf file per page: > > gs.exe -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -o c:\fic-%d.pdf -q c:\colle.pdf > It doesn't work. > Is works with jpeg files: > gs.exe -sDEVICE=jpeg -o c:\fic-%d.jpg -q c:\colle....

Web resources about - Content in PDF form fields disappears when tabbed out - comp.text.pdf

Disappears - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Facebook Markup Language Endpoints To Disappear As Of July 5
The slow death of Facebook Markup Language continued with the social network’s announcement that all FBML endpoints will be gone as of July 5. ...

Robert Scoble - Why is the PRISM story going to disappear... - Facebook
Why is the PRISM story going to disappear within two weeks? 30,000+ people die in cars every year in the US. We don't care. We get into cars ...

‘Custom user clusters’ feature appears and disappears from Facebook ad tool
Some Facebook users temporarily saw a link to a new feature called “custom user clusters” within the self-serve ad tool last week. Facebook ...

When Product Features Disappear - Amazon, Apple, Tesla and the Troubled Future for 21st Century Consumers ...
One of the great innovations of the 21 century are products that are cloud-connected and update and improve automatically. For software, gone ...

Day 250 - Disappear - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
I spent the day shopping with my grandma and Lewis because she was treating us to early presents as she won't be here for our birthday. I got ...

Before I Disappear - Official Trailer I HD I IFC Films - YouTube
Before I Disappear - Opening in theaters and VOD November 28th Starring: Shawn Christensen, Emmy Rossum, Fatima Ptacek, Ron Perlman and Paul ...

Internet will 'disappear', Google boss Eric Schmidt tells Davos
Google executive chairman predicts the internet will soon be so ubiquitous it will effectively "disappear" into the background.

Boy disappears off Sydney beach (01:35)
The frantic search continues for a five-year-old boy after he disappeared into the water at Sandringham on Sunday afternoon. Nine News.

How Google Ventures Made Its $US100,000 Investment In Bustle Disappear
Business Insider Australia How Google Ventures Made Its $US100,000 Investment In Bustle Disappear Business Insider Australia It's all really ...