Converting fonts back to fonts?

Have a one page PDF document containing just a small amount of text --
but file size is 900 kB instead of say 20 or 30 kB.

Opening it in Illustrator and selecting any one character in the text
causes the Type palette to indicate that each such character is
Helvetica Neue, Regular, 14 pt -- but looking more closely at the
character itself seems to show that each character in the text has been,
for some reason, converted into a separate and complex vector object.

And, pulling down the Type >> Find Fonts menu command seems to show that
the document contains _no_ fonts at all (in either half of the Find
window) . . . ???

Is there a quick, safe way to convert this document back into "real
type"?
0
AES

AES wrote:
> Have a one page PDF document containing just a small amount of text --
> but file size is 900 kB instead of say 20 or 30 kB.
>
> Opening it in Illustrator and selecting any one character in the text
> causes the Type palette to indicate that each such character is
> Helvetica Neue, Regular, 14 pt -- but looking more closely at the
> character itself seems to show that each character in the text has been,
> for some reason, converted into a separate and complex vector object.
>
> And, pulling down the Type >> Find Fonts menu command seems to show that
> the document contains _no_ fonts at all (in either half of the Find
> window) . . . ???
>
> Is there a quick, safe way to convert this document back into "real
> type"?

No. Once text has been converted to outlines/pathes it no longer
contains font information.

--
inez

E.A. Poe � Eleanora
�They who dream by day are cognizant of many things
which escape those who dream only by night.�
0
inez
4/29/2008 8:47:57 PM
AES wrote:

> Have a one page PDF document containing just a small amount of text --
> but file size is 900 kB instead of say 20 or 30 kB.
>
> Opening it in Illustrator and selecting any one character in the text
> causes the Type palette to indicate that each such character is
> Helvetica Neue, Regular, 14 pt -- but looking more closely at the
> character itself seems to show that each character in the text has been,
> for some reason, converted into a separate and complex vector object.
>
> And, pulling down the Type >> Find Fonts menu command seems to show that
> the document contains _no_ fonts at all (in either half of the Find
> window) . . . ???
>
> Is there a quick, safe way to convert this document back into "real
> type"?

OCR program?
0
PDFrank
4/30/2008 12:36:11 AM
PDFrank wrote:
>> Is there a quick, safe way to convert this document back into "real
>> type"?
>
> OCR program?

That's the only option.

I often compare this with baking pan cakes.
You use eggs to make pan cakes, but once you
have a stack of pan cakes on a plate, you can't
extract the egg white and yoke anymore to put
them back in the eggshells.

br,
Bruno
0
Bruno
4/30/2008 5:22:49 AM
Bruno Lowagie wrote:
> PDFrank wrote:
>>> Is there a quick, safe way to convert this document back into "real
>>> type"?
>>
>> OCR program?
>
> That's the only option.
>
> I often compare this with baking pan cakes.
> You use eggs to make pan cakes, but once you
> have a stack of pan cakes on a plate, you can't
> extract the egg white and yoke anymore to put
> them back in the eggshells.
>
> br,
> Bruno

....so there's a computer program that I can run my pancakes through to
find out what's in em? I hope it's a free download...

--
Graham Waiffers

The poster formerly known as Roger Thaat, Watson deMeneux or Jack Skwaht.
0
Graham
4/30/2008 2:49:05 PM
Bruno Lowagie wrote:

> PDFrank wrote:
>
>>> Is there a quick, safe way to convert this document back into "real
>>> type"?
>>

>> OCR program?
>

> That's the only option.
>
> I often compare this with baking pan cakes.
> You use eggs to make pan cakes, but once you
> have a stack of pan cakes on a plate, you can't
> extract the egg white and yoke anymore to put
> them back in the eggshells.

I like:
It's easier to turn pigs into sausages
Than it is to turn sausages into pigs.
0
PDFrank
5/1/2008 12:51:20 AM
Hi AES

A great little resource for this problem:
http://www.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/

If you can't remember this link at a later date, just type in What the
font (Google gives it to you as the first link).

Copy your type into Photoshop and save as a jpg, then upload. It'll
give you a list of fonts it may be.

HTH

---
CL8'N
0
CL8
5/1/2008 10:40:02 PM
CL8'N schreef:
> Hi AES
>
> A great little resource for this problem:
> http://www.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/
>
> If you can't remember this link at a later date, just type in What the
> font (Google gives it to you as the first link).
>
> Copy your type into Photoshop and save as a jpg, then upload. It'll
> give you a list of fonts it may be.
>

> HTH
>
> ---
> CL8'N

hahahahahahahaha
0
Peter
5/2/2008 10:22:11 PM
Peter schreef:
> CL8'N schreef:
>> Hi AES
>>
>> A great little resource for this problem:
>> http://www.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/
>>
>> If you can't remember this link at a later date, just type in What the
>> font (Google gives it to you as the first link).
>>
>> Copy your type into Photoshop and save as a jpg, then upload. It'll
>> give you a list of fonts it may be.
>>

>> HTH
>>
>> ---
>> CL8'N
>

> hahahahahahahaha

Oops I realized this might be offending LOL

But I just enjoyed this loop.....

Ok we've typed something in Illustrator
Now let's make outlines
Oops!!
Start Firefox and go to whatthefont.com!

OOOOOOOOO it IS an Arial!

just having fun Connie, but in the end your answer works.
0
Peter
5/2/2008 10:28:12 PM
In article <681irsF2rb59fU1@mid.individual.net>,
 Peter <steggy2001@hotmail.com> wrote:

> >> Copy your type into Photoshop and save as a jpg, then upload. It'll
> >> give you a list of fonts it may be.
> >

> > hahahahahahahaha
>
> Oops I realized this might be offending LOL
>
> But I just enjoyed this loop.....
>
> Ok we've typed something in Illustrator
> Now let's make outlines
> Oops!!
> Start Firefox and go to whatthefont.com!
>
> OOOOOOOOO it IS an Arial!
>
> just having fun Connie, but in the end your answer works.

As the OP I'm relatively clueless on the fine details here.  I knew
enough to recognize that each character had been (at some unknown time
earlier) converted into a vector outline.  Illustrator, however, still
seemed to know (or at least remember from earlier) what font each such
character was from.

So questions were (and still are):

1)  Does Illustrator also still remember, or can it deduce, what
specific character each vector outline image is (or was)?

2)  And if that knowledge is still there, can the individual images be
converted back?  Is there a command in Illustrator to do this.
0
AES
5/3/2008 1:18:40 AM
AES schreef:

>>> hahahahahahahaha
>> Oops I realized this might be offending LOL
>>
>> But I just enjoyed this loop.....
>>
>> Ok we've typed something in Illustrator
>> Now let's make outlines
>> Oops!!
>> Start Firefox and go to whatthefont.com!
>>
>> OOOOOOOOO it IS an Arial!
>>
>> just having fun Connie, but in the end your answer works.
>
> As the OP I'm relatively clueless on the fine details here.  I knew
> enough to recognize that each character had been (at some unknown time
> earlier) converted into a vector outline.  Illustrator, however, still
> seemed to know (or at least remember from earlier) what font each such
> character was from.
>
> So questions were (and still are):
>
> 1)  Does Illustrator also still remember, or can it deduce, what
> specific character each vector outline image is (or was)?
>
> 2)  And if that knowledge is still there, can the individual images be
> converted back?  Is there a command in Illustrator to do this.

For both the answer is no.

The font has been converted to vector, the font is no font anymore.
But do try Connie's idea, lots of times it works like a charm if your
font is clear. No need for Photoshop, just save a line of text as JPEG
in Illustrator, upload it in http://www.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/ and
follow the instructions.
0
Peter
5/3/2008 10:54:20 AM
"Peter" <steggy2001@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> AES schreef:

> >> Oops I realized this might be offending LOL
> >>
> >> But I just enjoyed this loop.....
> >>
> >> Ok we've typed something in Illustrator
> >> Now let's make outlines
> >> Oops!!
> >> Start Firefox and go to whatthefont.com!
> >>
> >> OOOOOOOOO it IS an Arial!
> >>
> >> just having fun Connie, but in the end your answer works.
> >
> > As the OP I'm relatively clueless on the fine details here.  I knew
> > enough to recognize that each character had been (at some unknown time
> > earlier) converted into a vector outline.  Illustrator, however, still
> > seemed to know (or at least remember from earlier) what font each such
> > character was from.
> >
> > So questions were (and still are):
> >
> > 1)  Does Illustrator also still remember, or can it deduce, what
> > specific character each vector outline image is (or was)?
> >
> > 2)  And if that knowledge is still there, can the individual images be
> > converted back?  Is there a command in Illustrator to do this.
>

> For both the answer is no.
>
> The font has been converted to vector, the font is no font anymore.
> But do try Connie's idea, lots of times it works like a charm if your
> font is clear. No need for Photoshop, just save a line of text as JPEG
> in Illustrator, upload it in http://www.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/ and
> follow the instructions.

Actually, I didn't contribute anything to this thread! :)

I've only tried OCRing a few times ... for some reason, every scanner (and
the accompanying OCR software) I've ever tried it on has stunk and it ended
up harder to edit the misreads later than it was to either type it myself
(I'm a pretty good typist!) or hire someone else to do it!

Since my advice would have been to just retype it or hire someone else to, I
figured that'd be too much of a bummer and didn't say anything! ;)

--
Connie :-)
FREE patterns n' FREE eZine at my blog:

0
SewVeryCreative
5/3/2008 12:23:09 PM
Hey! Thanks for the What The Font site!! I have been trying to find the name
of a particular font I like for so long. I put the logo on that site and
within 1 minute, someone replied with the correct font!!! yahoo!!! Tx!

"CL8'N" <clayton.storey@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi AES
>
> A great little resource for this problem:
> http://www.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/
>
> If you can't remember this link at a later date, just type in What the
> font (Google gives it to you as the first link).
>
> Copy your type into Photoshop and save as a jpg, then upload. It'll
> give you a list of fonts it may be.
>

> HTH
>
> ---
> CL8'N

0
gunsmokegirl

And when WhatTheFont doesn't work you can try http://www.identifont.com/

--
inez

E.A. Poe � Eleanora
�They who dream by day are cognizant of many things
which escape those who dream only by night.�
0
inez

How can I convert .txt to .pdf or .pdf to .pdf, controlling fonts?
I am trying to put some Quicken reports onto my iPhone, and I find the default .pdf print font is not clear enough. I'd like to try the Arial font (which I find to be the clearest of all fonts), but this involves either 1- converting the Quicken report .txt file to a .pdf, somehow, with control of the font, or 2- converting the Quicken report .pdf file from the default font to an Arial font .pdf and then moving the resulting .pdf to my iPhone. So far, I have failed. Does anyone know how to do this, either on a mac or on a pc? In article <4cdd4f7e$0$18655$c3e8da3$38634283@news.astraweb.com>, Gary <gary_w1@hotline.com> wrote: > I am trying to put some Quicken reports onto my iPhone, and I find > the default .pdf print font is not clear enough. I'd like to try the > Arial font (which I find to be the clearest of all fonts), but this > involves either > > 1- converting the Quicken report .txt file to a .pdf, somehow, with > control of the font, or > > 2- converting the Quicken report .pdf file from the default font to > an Arial font .pdf > > and then moving the resulting .pdf to my iPhone. > > So far, I have failed. Does anyone know how to do this, either on a > mac or on a pc? Open the file in Quicken. Use the Arial font in the size of your choice. Select "Print" and then click on the "PDF" button on the print dialog box. Se...

How to convert this ps file to a pdf file w/ searchable text? (pkfix-helper: No Type 3 fonts were encountered in the input file)
I try to use pkfix-helper to fix the pdf and then run ps2pdf on it. But I get the following error. Could you please let me know if there is any other way to generate a searchable pdf file? $pkfix-helper 0375.ps Reading 0375.ps ... done. Number of Type 3 fonts encountered: 0 pkfix-helper: No Type 3 fonts were encountered in the input file On May 13, 10:45=A0pm, Peng Yu <pengyu...@gmail.com> wrote: > I try to use pkfix-helper to fix the pdf and then run ps2pdf on it. > But I get the following error. Could you please let me know if there > is any other way to generate a searchable pdf file? > > $pkfix-helper 0375.ps > Reading 0375.ps ... done. > Number of Type 3 fonts encountered: 0 > pkfix-helper: No Type 3 fonts were encountered in the input file That looks more like a "nothing to do" message than an "error" per se. If we could see some of the postscript, ... On May 14, 12:41=A0am, luser- -droog <mijo...@yahoo.com> wrote: > On May 13, 10:45=A0pm, Peng =A0Yu <pengyu...@gmail.com> wrote: > > > I try to use pkfix-helper to fix the pdf and then run ps2pdf on it. > > But I get the following error. Could you please let me know if there > > is any other way to generate a searchable pdf file? > > > $pkfix-helper 0375.ps > > Reading 0375.ps ... done. > > Number of Type 3 fonts encountered: 0 > > pkfix-helper: No Type 3 fonts were encountered in the input file > > ...

How can i convert SHX fonts to TTF fonts ?
Hi ...!! I am a ObjectARX developer, one of project need conversion of SHX fonts ( font supported by AutoCAD ) to TTF ( font supported by Windows ). Is there any suitable way ? pls help me...! thanx in advance... subash ...

Asian fonts in text pdf
I maintain an application that creates text based PDFs. The source data is in UTF-8 format. I have no problem with Western European languages, I just convert the UTF-8 to codepage 1252 and specify "Encoding WinAnsiEncoding" in the font object. I was wondering if there was an easy way to deal with UTF-8 encoding of other languages, particularly Asian languages such as Japanese and Chinese. I don't want to include my own font tables, just use whatever is installed on the local system. On May 14, 5:32=A0am, "Jeff McKay" <jeff.mc...@comaxis.com> wrote: > ...

Convert PCL Font Pitch to Postscript Font Height
Currently I'm writing a PCL to Postscript-Converter. Unfortunately I=92m stuck on following Problem: in PCL there are commands for selecting Font Pitch and Font Height. Pitch is used for fixed-width Fonts, Height for proportional Fonts (Pitch =3D number of characters per inch, Height =3D Height in PCL Points (1/72 inch)). In Postscript I=92m not able to choose the Font size when I=92m receiving the PCL Font Pitch. May I calculate the Height, or is there a according command in Postscript? Ernschd wrote: > Currently I'm writing a PCL to Postscript-Converter. Unfortunately > I’m stuck on following Problem: > in PCL there are commands for selecting Font Pitch and Font Height. > Pitch is used for fixed-width Fonts, Height for proportional Fonts > (Pitch = number of characters per inch, Height = Height in PCL Points > (1/72 inch)). > > In Postscript I’m not able to choose the Font size when I’m receiving > the PCL Font Pitch. > > May I calculate the Height, or is there a according command in > Postscript? You could look at the /FontBBox entry in the font dictionary anc compute the scaling factor (ant thus the "font height") from the FontBBox and the pitch value you get from PCL. Note that this only makes sense for fixed pitch fonts. And note that the /isFixedPitch value in the /FontInfo dictionary isn't always reliable for determining if the font is fixed pitch or not. Helge In article <433c7a05-9c30-4549-bb0...

How to convert a non-true type font to a true-type font?
Hello I am trying to convert a non-true type font( Myriad Pro) to be a true type font. For some reason, our company needs this font to work with our UI and it needs to be a true type font so I am trying to either: 1) find a very very similar true type font 2) make myriad pro into a true type font. pls. let me know if there is a more appropriate newsgroup for this question. cheers n nono umasy wrote: > Hello > > I am trying to convert a non-true type font( Myriad Pro) to be a true > type font. > For some reason, our company needs this font to work with our UI and > it ...

ANN: Fly Text to PDF

PDF::API2::Text::font fix.
Howdy, Not sure what email address to send this to, so I'll post it here. If somebody could add this or something like it to the PDF::API2::Text::font function in the PDF::API2 Distro it would be usefull to many IMHO. All I added was the hail mary to get the font size. Basically: $txt->font($small, 20) ; Can be stated as: $txt->font($small) ; if the font contained in $small already knows what size it is. This makes managing your fonts a little cleaner. The replacement function: ########################## sub font { my ($self,$font,$size)=@_; if (! defined $siz...

Converting Mac Fonts "Helvetica Neue" to Window fonts
Hello designers...How am I convert My mac fonts to use them on Window? I tried to use Cross Fonts..but Didn't really work.. Can anybody help me? Or anyone like to exchange fonts? Thank you! Claire wrote: > Hello designers...How am I convert My mac fonts to use them on Window? > I tried to use Cross Fonts..but Didn't really work.. The latest version of this product (FontDoctor) claims to do it (and I believe it). http://www.morrisonsoftdesign.com/fd_mac.html > > The latest version of this product (FontDoctor) claims to do it (and I believe it). > http://www.morrisonsoftdesign.com/fd_mac.html > > Works like a dream. Only truetypefonts though. Kind regards Bj�rn Studio Smalbro > Works like a dream. Only truetypefonts though. Thanks for the info. To me, that is a major limitation. No hurry for that upgrade then! ...

pdftex/LuaTeX/XeTeX: Legal Issues with Font Embedding in pdf Fonts
Dear all, I'd appreciate it if there anybody who has answers to the following questions or pointers as to where to obtain further information. I apologise in advance for my lack of knowledge about (la)tex font technology. (The main reason for my lack of knowledge is that I prefer to stay away from it as far as possible.:-) Background: I'm not familiar with a formal definition of font embedding, but some opentype font licences state that you may ``embed'' font subsets of an OpenType font. Question 1: If I were to produce a pdf from an opentype font with XeTeX or LuaTeX, would the resulting pdf properly and legally embed font subsets? Question 2: If I were to use otftotfm to turn an OpenType font into some tex font metric files and use them (in combination with pdftex), would this be legal font embedding? (My guess is that it doesn't, but it depends on the definition of font embedding.) Question 3: Of course the previous two questions depend on the definition of font embedding. Is there a technical definition of what it means to embed a subset of an OpenType font in a pdf file? If yes, I'd appreciate some pointers and a short explanation as to what it means in the context of pdftex/XeTeX/LuaTeX. Thanks in advance for your help. Regards, Marc van Dongen Le 13/05/2011 10:57, Marc van Dongen a �crit : > Dear all, > > > I'd appreciate it if there anybody who has answers to the following > questions or pointers as to where to obt...

Replacing Type 3 fonts with Type 1 fonts in PDF files
Dear people, I have some documents that were produced with (La)TeX quite some time ago. Unfortunately, some of them use the Computer Modern fonts in low resolution (say, embedded with 300dpi) and, to make matters worse, some of the documents I have have already been converted from PS to PDF with the use of ps2pdf (which calls ghostscript as an auxiliary program). I do know that Heiko has a program called pkfix (which is a Perl script) to operate on PS files for substitution of the bitmapped fonts with scalable fonts, but it unfortunately doesn't work for documents created with some early versions of dvips. I have already used Heiko's program, but I still have some PDF files that include bitmapped fonts. Is there any way to batch-replace the fonts of a bunch of documents with fonts from, say, the cm-super package (which I have installed on my computer)? I am currently using Debian's teTeX 2.0, but I can upgrade to teTeX 3.0 if that would make anything easier. I would prefer to have a solution involving only Free Software, but depending on the solution, this requirement may be dropped. Any comments are more than welcome regarding this issue. Thank you very much, Rog=E9rio Brito. -- Rog=E9rio Brito : rbrito@ime.usp.br : http://www.ime.usp.br/~rbrito Homepage of the algorithms package : http://algorithms.berlios.de Homepage on freshmeat: http://freshmeat.net/projects/algorithms/ On 2 Oct 2005 04:52:10 -0700, Rog�rio Brito wrote: > I have some document...

[ANN] Font Collector allows you to convert fonts to and from many different formats
PRESS RELEASE: http://www.plkr.org/news/50 Alexander R. Pruss Friday November 19th 2004 - 14:42:22 Announcing Font Collector to convert fonts to many useful formats... "Font Collector" is a program which runs on PalmOS� version 5 or later that converts fonts from many other formats -- including fonts within applications you may have sitting around on your PDA -- to Fonts4OS5[1], FontHackV[2], FontSubst[3], PalmBible+[4], and Plucker[5] formats. It's free when used to convert fonts to PalmBible[4]+ and Plucker[5]. For other output formats, Font Collector is shareware (...

How to make sure that font style/size in graphics matches with text font/size?
Hi, I'm writing my phd thesis with pdfLaTeX (KOMA script package with "standard" serif fonts, 11 pt) and now have to create technical drawings, schemes and diagrams. (My thesis is about engineering, so there will have to be some technical drawings and sketches, flow charts and schemes, fotos and many many graphs... I'm writing on a PowerBook with OS X, but am also working on a PC with Windows XP.) I'm not sure what software to use to create (vector) graphics and how to ensure that font size and style look good with the text of the document... Should the text in the graphs also be a serif font or should it be sans serif as a contrast? Is there any tutorial how to layout graphics to look great with a LaTeX document)? Is there an easy way (GUI appreciated) to typeset some LaTeX text over an included photo? Martin p.s. I've already been surfing and procrastinating a lot reading reviews of different apps (xFig, WinFig, Corel Draw, OmniGraffle, Inkscape, ipe, j***Edit, ...) and I'm not really sure what would be the best tool... p.p.s. WARMreader (http://www-texdev.ics.mq.edu.au/WARM/) looks very interesting - might this be the tool of choice to label graphics?... Lvood wrote: > Is there an easy way (GUI appreciated) to typeset some LaTeX text over > an included photo? http://tug.org/PSTricks/main.cgi?file=Examples/overlay Herbert -- http://PSTricks.tug.org http://www.dante.de/CTAN/info/math/voss/ Lvood: > I'm not sure wha...

PDF Converter Mac
PDF Converter for Mac can help you: Convert PDF to Word Document (*.doc); Convert PDF to Excel spreadsheets (*.xls); Convert PDF to PowerPoint presentations (*.pptx); Convert PDF to EPUB eBooks (*.epub); Convert PDF to Text files (*.txt); Convert PDF to HTML pages (*.html); Print restricted PDF files; Resize images of PDF files; Edit PDF files in Microsoft Office; Share PDF files on internet easily; Change contents in any existing PDF files; Modify typos and misspellings in PDF files; Calculate and edit data in Microsoft Excel; Read PDF eBooks on mobile devices, such as iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, Sony reader and more; Extract the text, images, graphics, tables and hyperlinks for reusing in other applications. More Info: http://www.pdf-converter-mac.net/ PDF to Word Converter for Mac: http://www.pdf-converter-mac.net/pdf-to-word/ PDF to Word Converter for Mac is specially designed for Mac users, which helps to convert PDF to Word on Mac OS X. PDF to PPT Converter for Mac: http://www.pdf-converter-mac.net/pdf-to-ppt/ PDF to PPT Converter for Mac empowers Mac users to convert PDF to Microsoft PowerPoint accurately. PDF to Excel Converter for Mac: http://www.pdf-converter-mac.net/pdf-to-excel/ PDF to Excel Converter for Mac extracts the data in the PDF file to Excel spreadsheets for easy editing and calculating. PDF to ePub Converter for Mac: http://www.pdf-converter-mac.net/pdf-to-epub/ PDF to EPUB Converter for Mac is an efficient PDF to E...

Copy text from PDF, no system font available
Hi, I have a PDF doc which was initially created in QuarkXpress Passport 4.1 (K): LaserWriter 8.8.7 and then was converted to PDF with Acrobat Distiller 5 for Macintosh. I don't have any contact deltails of the original author or the Quark file, just the PDF. I just want to copy certain text from the PDF to Word so that I can add it to a document that I am writing. In Document Properties/Fonts it shows the fonts used in the document and they are all Emdebbed Subset, Type: Type 1 and Encoding Custom. The text I want to copy is written with font MgHelveticaLight-Normal. When I use t...

Fonts not converting
Got a problem I hope you all can help out with. As subject says, in outputting Pagemaker file to PDF, the fonts are defaulting to courier. Is there a command to convert them to outlines, or something to that effect, so customer can see in pdf file what it really looks like? Phlip "Neil Gould" <neil@myplaceofwork.com> wrote in message news:cv7qi.46$591.45@nlpi070.nbdc.sbc.com... > Could it be that the fonts you are using in PM are not licensed for > embedding in a PDF? ISTR that fonts with restrictive licenses behave as > you describe. Another possibility is that the fonts are OK, but your > distiller options are not including the font for embedding. Check > Distiller's settings. > > Hope this helps. > > Neil Thanks Neil. I'll check it out. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you cannot convert the fonts to outlines in PM, as you can in some other software? Phlip Recently, phlip <phil*nospam*mcr@yahoo.com> posted: > Got a problem I hope you all can help out with. As subject says, in > outputting Pagemaker file to PDF, the fonts are defaulting to > courier. Is there a command to convert them to outlines, or > something to that effect, so customer can see in pdf file what it > really looks like? > Could it be that the fonts you are using in PM are not licensed for embedding in a PDF? ISTR that fonts with restrictive licenses behave as you describe. Another possibility is that the font...

WVW Hello world with 2 fonts or 2 font sizes of same font
could anyone write a small Hello World using more then 1 font or more sizes then one. I cant figure this one out. Thanks Yon ...

using font generator setvar(font groups, new font name)
I'm trying to determine if you have to create a font for each version and size of the font being used. Ie. Do I have to create seperate fonts for: Courier New, Bold, size 8 and Courier New, italics, size 8 or can I just create one for Courier New size 8 and it recognize it? Any help is much appreciated. Thank you. -Halina ...

converting fonts to outline in InDesign
I'm used to just sending the whole file with all fonts etc, or else a PDF file to the printers, but recently decided on a small job (postcard) to convert fonts to outline before sending it. The PDF proof we got back (softcopy proofing, it's all done online) shows that the text isn't as smooth when PDFd from outline as it would be if PDFd from the original file before the text was converted to outlines (according to my experiments). I don't know if this will make a difference when looking at it printed at 100% (it was a fair bit magnified when I was examining at it), anyone have any suggestions as to the best way to provide the file, and whether this convert to outlines option is pointless? Thanks, -- Katharine All generalisations are false. Recently, Katharine <kathnews2@notspammedoptushome.com.au> posted: > I'm used to just sending the whole file with all fonts etc, or else a > PDF file to the printers, but recently decided on a small job > (postcard) to convert fonts to outline before sending it. > > The PDF proof we got back (softcopy proofing, it's all done online) > shows that the text isn't as smooth when PDFd from outline as it > would be if PDFd from the original file before the text was converted > to outlines (according to my experiments). > > I don't know if this will make a difference when looking at it > printed at 100% (it was a fair bit magnified when I was examining at > it),...

GhostPCL converts large font sizes to images in PDF
I've got a PCL file with embedded fonts. GhostPCL does a good job creating a PDF of the file, but text in large font sizes gets converted to images. Text in smaller sizes of the same font stays text in the PDF. In particular, text at 12 points stays text, but text at 14, 15 or 24 points, in the exact same font, is converted to images. So I'm taking a double-hit on space- the embedded font takes up room, and the images take up more room. And, of course, the images aren't searchable. I tried GhostPCL 1.38, 1.40 and 1.41 with the same results (slighty different resulting PDF file sizes). Anyone else see this, and is there anything to do to fix it? I started looking through the source to see if there's some code I can change, but there are so many source files I haven't made much of a dent yet. Thanks- Sean Sean Riddle wrote: > I've got a PCL file with embedded fonts. GhostPCL does a good job > creating a PDF of the file, but text in large font sizes gets converted > to images. Text in smaller sizes of the same font stays text in the > PDF. In particular, text at 12 points stays text, but text at 14, 15 > or 24 points, in the exact same font, is converted to images. So I'm > taking a double-hit on space- the embedded font takes up room, and the > images take up more room. And, of course, the images aren't > searchable. I tried GhostPCL 1.38, 1.40 and 1.41 with the same results > (slighty different resultin...

ClearType: Does Java AWT use its own font or use the OS's font in displaying text field?
Hi folks, I need to display some ClearType text in a static text field of a GUI window using Java AWT. I heard that Java 2D itself currently does not support ClearType sub-pixel technology. I am wondering if AWT can render font using OS's global font setting, for instance, on Windows XP, the ClearType font can be enabled globally, on Linux, it also has sub-pixel rendering technology can can be enabled OS wide. I am wondering if the Java AWT uses OS's font by default? Furthermore, what shall I do if I want to capture the RGB pixel values of the displayed text and save to harddisk? Th...

organize fonts in font menu
What program can you organize Windows fonts by styles instead of in alphabeticorder when accessing font from a program such as Photoshop or Illustrator? I remember the old days in Mac that I can put different fonts in different folders and they would be grouped together (maybe with suitcase or just the OS). Is there something similar on Windows? It's really time consuming when searching for a font from a long list. Thanks for any info! > What program can you organize Windows fonts by styles instead of in > alphabeticorder when accessing font from a program such as Photoshop > o...

TrueType font to Opentype font
Hello All, I am a newbie. I have some TrueType fonts that I want to convert to Opentype fonts. Perhaps using some font editor. Where do I start? What software to use? thanks a lot for your help Mashrur In article <58e0b197.0403010934.332d57da@posting.google.com>, Mashrur Mia <mia@cs.concordia.ca> wrote: > I have some TrueType fonts that I want to convert to Opentype fonts. > Perhaps using some font editor. > > Where do I start? What software to use? First of all you should read the OpenType specifications that you can find either in the Microsoft or the Adobe si...

Emerald fonts
Hi there, I've installed the Emerald fonts [1] from CTAN, and have got them working on my system. An example such as the LaTeX Font catalogue's text example [2] works perfectly, but I can't work out for the life of me how to resize the font. I'm using this in the context of: \documentclass{article} \usepackage{emerald} \fontfamily{cmss}\fontsize{12pt}{13pt}\selectfont Here's the body of my text {\ECFAugie Some notes in the magin} Body text continues... \end{document} I wish to use cmss as my default font and Augie enclosed in a group only for short notes. Yet {\ECFAugie \fontsize(10pt) doesn't work as I'd hope} Thanks in advance for any pointers, Stroller. [1] http://ctan.org/tex-archive/fonts/emerald/ [2] http://www.tug.dk/FontCatalogue/augie/augie.tex Stroller <stroller@bigfoot.com> schrieb: > Hi there, > > I've installed the Emerald fonts [1] from CTAN, and have got them > working on my system. An example such as the LaTeX Font catalogue's > text example [2] works perfectly, but I can't work out for the life of > me how to resize the font. > > I'm using this in the context of: > > \documentclass{article} > \usepackage{emerald} > \fontfamily{cmss}\fontsize{12pt}{13pt}\selectfont > Here's the body of my text > {\ECFAugie Some notes in the magin} > Body text continues... > \end{document} > > I wish to use cmss as my default fo...

Web resources about - Converting fonts back to fonts? - comp.text.pdf

PastBook’s Filepicker.io Integration Eases Process Of Converting Facebook Content To Books
PastBook , one of several companies that allow Facebook users to publish their content on the social network in actual books , announced the ...

Zwartz Laminating-Converting B.V. on the App Store on iTunes
Get Zwartz Laminating-Converting B.V. on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

"Occupier" Thanked Former Soviet Citizen for "Converting" Him to Capitalism, Pro-Israel, Pro-USA - YouTube ...
May Day Demonstration on Union Square in New York City Zionism & Birth of Modern Israel in 1948: Former Soviet Citizen Pays Tribute to Ben-Gurion ...

Converting dry air to water: solution to Broken Hill's water crisis gains support
A one-man crusade by a Broken Hill resident to solve the historic town's water crisis by introducing air to water converters is gaining support. ...