cropping receipts: sum of parts is quadruple the filesize of the whole

After scanning receipts on an A3 glass, I end up with a PDF of around
180k.  To get each receipt in a separate file, I import the PDF into
gimp, crop one receipt, and export to a PDF.  After repeating this for
every receipt, the filesizes add up to ~820k.

What is my problem?

On import, gimp defaults to 100 dpi.  I accepted that, as I have no
idea how to find out if the source file has a different resolution.
When I told gimp to export to PDF, I ticked the box for:

"convert bitmaps to vector graphics where possible"

to try to keep the size down.  I also tried the /pdfimages/ tool, but
that created a big mess of tiny images, so the scanner does something
bizarre.  (next time, i'll tell the scanner to create a png or some
normal image instead of PDF)

Is there a better way to crop receipts from a PDF?

0
Anonymous

Anonymous wrote:
> I also tried the /pdfimages/ tool, but
> that created a big mess of tiny images,

That's the tool I'd have suggested for the task, but in this case it
seems to be no help. One thing it can do, though, or rather some
graphics program used after it, is tell you the resolution of those
small panels.

This would solve your
> I have no idea how to find out if the source file
> has a different resolution.

Axel
0
Axel

pdf \ text (get rid of text in pdf)

ANN: Fly Text to PDF

The whole is greater than the sum of its parts
Hello, When you hear something like this: "the whole is greater than the sum of its parts." That's a smart thing to do and to follow... I will give you an example , please look at my Parallel Sort library project here: https://sites.google.com/site/aminer68/parallel-sort-library You will notice that i have invented a parallel algorithm that follows the spirit of: "the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.", to attain this efficiency you have to interconnect the parts and/or manage the parts to attain this better efficiency... this ...

The whole is greater than the sum of its parts
Hello.. When you hear something like this: "the whole is greater than the sum of its parts." That's a smart thing to do and to follow... I will give you an example , please look at my Parallel Sort library project here: https://sites.google.com/site/aminer68/parallel-sort-library You will notice that i have invented a parallel algorithm that follows the spirit of: "the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.", to attain this efficiency you have to interconnect the parts and/or manage the parts to attain this better efficiency... this...

Whole greater than sum of parts.
Given the age of this post, I am going to start it in a new thread. On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 15:12:56 GMT, "Ray Scanlon" <rscanlo1@nycap.rr.com> wrote: > >To the scientist, the whole is the sum of its parts. To the religionist, the >whole is more than the sum of its parts. > Given N neurons, the number of reciprocal connections between them is Cr = N^2 - N Any neural network that has 3 or more nodes will be greater (exhibit more complex behavior) than the sum of 3 nodes acting independently. The number of direct connections is Cd = 0.5*N^2 - N In this case, an...

The whole is greater than the sum of its parts
Hello, When you hear something like this: "the whole is greater than the sum of its parts." That's a smart thing to do and to follow... I will give you an example , please look at my Parallel Sort library project here: https://sites.google.com/site/aminer68/parallel-sort-library You will notice that i have invented a parallel algorithm that follows the spirit of: "the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.", to attain this efficiency you have to interconnect the parts and/or manage the parts to attain this better efficiency... this ...

Parts parts parts
Anyone need any 1541 drive mechinisms, cases, or boards. Also have a few chips sitting here that I don't have a use for at this time. Charles http://www.8bitdesigns.ath.cx ...

eps to pdf: cropped pdf
Hi, I create an EPS with gnuplot, run LaTeX, convert the PS with Ghostview to EPS (with automatical boundingbox correction) and then run epstopdf (or eps2pdf alternatively) in order to be able to use the graphic with pdflatex. The EPS seems to be OK, whereas the PDF is cropped. <http:// www.mrunix.de/forums/showthread.php?p=297298#post297298> How can I fix this problem? I tried to use eps2eps and ps2epsi, which didn't help. Only loading the EPS in Corel Draw and saving again in EPS seems to work but results in rather large files. I use Gnuplot 4.2 patchlevel 5. ...

PDF PDF PDF
For anyone struggling to figure out how to create a PDF in SWX it's pretty simple but you may have to have the Bluebeam version of swx FIRST go to Tools>Options and check "Save as PDF" Then you can save them right from the save as dialog. Maybe I'm the only dumbass that could't figure that out! ;0) But it was in help under "PDF" An easier way is to download a program from www.pdf995.com that "prints" you files to a PDF foramat. This program works with SW and any other program you use to print with. "3d" <jmiller at marvelindustri...

PDF image of text to readable text ?
Seems there are web based tools and software. My son needs text to have it read for him. He has a PC. Found PDF reader $50 , http://thurly.net/11ia and http://thurly.net/11i4 the last being google. Wondering what you folks found useful or use ? Thanks! -- Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden http://uppitywis.org/ live WI ...

convert text images in pdf to text
Hi, I have a pdf file where someone scanned in pages from a book and stored them as images in a pdf file which is 16 meg. Is there an easy way I can do some kind of OCR on this file to just get plain text from the images of text in the pdf? Using a standard pdf to txt converter won't work because the file contains images of text as it appears in the book. Thanks, Ben -- Cheap long distance calling using Onesuite (http://www.onesuite.com). 2.5 cents/min anywhere in the U.S., to Canada or the U.K. No monthly or connection fees! Use promotional code 038664643 for 20 free minutes. Tr...

Highlighting part of the text in a text box
Hi all, I've been struggling with this for days. How can I use javascript to high light a part of the text in a textbox or a textarea? OR if the user highlights a part of the text in a textbox or a textarea, how can I say which part of the text is highlighted? (ie: at what character the highlight starts and at what character the highlight ends). thanks in advance. Aria wrote: > if the user highlights a part of the text in a textbox or a textarea, > how can I say which part of the text is highlighted? (ie: at what > character the highlight starts and at what character the hig...

Convert PDF image to PDF text
Hi, I have a PDF file with image text documents. hence I can't search the text. How can I convert it to searchable PDF file? Thanx You will have to scan it using an OCR (Optical Character Recognition) application and then create a PDF file. -- Don Vancouver, USA <WhiteLen@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1193737890.691267.165820@z9g2000hsf.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > > I have a PDF file with image text documents. hence I can't search the > text. How can I convert it to searchable PDF file? > > Thanx > Any recommendation for OCR application? ...

scanned image pdf to searchable text pdf
We have a lot of pdf files that are just scanned images of documents. How easy is it to change these into pdf's that we can search for specific words. I believe Adobe Acrobat Capture will do this when the document is originally scanned, but can it use pdf's that have already been created. If it can, can this process be automated to convert 100s of pdf files? Are there other alternatives to Adobe Acrobat Capture as it is not cheap for a large number of documents? I am new to this, so please keep it simple. Thanks for any help. Adrian HI, As you indicated, your pdf's are ...

Web resources about - cropping receipts: sum of parts is quadruple the filesize of the whole - comp.text.pdf