Extract video from PDF

Somebody - author in a prestigious scientific journal - seems to have
thought the ideal format to save a video in was using Microsoft Word to
envelop it into a PDF. Although that PDF declares itself as version 1.7
it can't be opened with Acrobat 8. How do I extract the video from that
silly mantle? As far as I'm aware (which is limited) it can be done
neither through the xpdf-tool nor ghostscript.

Any hints?
Danke
	Axel
0
Axel

Axel Berger wrote:

> Somebody - author in a prestigious scientific journal - seems to have
> thought the ideal format to save a video in was using Microsoft Word to
> envelop it into a PDF. Although that PDF declares itself as version 1.7
> it can't be opened with Acrobat 8. How do I extract the video from that
> silly mantle? As far as I'm aware (which is limited) it can be done
> neither through the xpdf-tool nor ghostscript.

You've tried it with poppler:
http://rpm.netlabs.org/release/00/zip/poppler-0_35_0-1_oc00.zip ?

Poppler is a fork of xpdf. Perhaps pdfdetach -saveall file does what you
want.

--
J�rg Rustmeier
0
J�rg Rustmeier wrote:

> You've tried it with poppler:
> http://rpm.netlabs.org/release/00/zip/poppler-0_35_0-1_oc00.zip ?

Sorry, I forgot: It's only an OS/2-eCS file. Eventually look for the
Linux version or a Windows port.
--
J�rg Rustmeier
0
> How do I extract the video from that silly mantle? As far as I'm
> aware (which is limited) it can be done neither through the
> xpdf-tool nor ghostscript.

The "pdftk" CLI utility has an /unpack/ command.

BTW, is it passworded?  If not, then indeed it's silly to contain a
video in a PDF document by itself.  OTOH, if it needs to be encrypted
for a non-technical audience in a platform agnostic way that does not
impose installation of an obscure tool, then it's sensible.  What
alternative is there?  There's zip, but corporate e-mail firewalls
often block zip files.

0
Nomen
8/13/2015 8:13:39 PM
Nomen Nescio wrote:
> OTOH, if it needs to be encrypted
> for a non-technical audience in a platform agnostic way that does
> not impose installation of an obscure tool, then it's sensible. =

> What alternative is there?

Videos as supplementary material are not uncommon in scientific
joiurnals and I've seen them all, mov, mp4, even avi, but never before
PDF. And even if there were a reason for it, who but a moron would
choose Microsoft Word as the appropriate tool to do it with?

And thanks J=F6rg and Nomen, I'll look into both your suggestions.

Axel
0
Axel

PDF PDF PDF
For anyone struggling to figure out how to create a PDF in SWX it's pretty simple but you may have to have the Bluebeam version of swx FIRST go to Tools>Options and check "Save as PDF" Then you can save them right from the save as dialog. Maybe I'm the only dumbass that could't figure that out! ;0) But it was in help under "PDF" An easier way is to download a program from www.pdf995.com that "prints" you files to a PDF foramat. This program works with SW and any other program you use to print with. "3d" <jmiller at marvelindustri...

PDF::API2
Hello All, I am new to PDF files so I don't really know if what I want to do is possible and how to use the PDF::API2 modules. I need to extract information from columns in a table ( I assume that PDF does not know anything about tables). What I was thinking of doing was finding the horizontal location of the header (I know what it should be), then extract all text that starts at that location. I have played around with the PDF::API2 module and read the 'Using PDF::API2 - The code' help page, however it doesn't show me how to extract information from an exi...

PDF::API2
Hello All, I am new to PDF files so I don't really know if what I want to do is possible and how to use the PDF::API2 modules. I need to extract information from columns in a table ( I assume that PDF does not know anything about tables). What I was thinking of doing was finding the horizontal location of the header (I know what it should be), then extract all text that starts at that location. I have played around with the PDF::API2 module and read the 'Using PDF::API2 - The code' help page, however it doesn't show me how to extract information from an existing file. ...

PDF TO PDF/A
Hello, is it possible to convert a PDF file to PDFA file ? i tried the -dPDFA option and i vefy my pdf file with PDF longlife. I have an error. Thanks for help. ...

extract text layer from searchable pdf and merge with another pdf
Dear comp.text.pdfians I have a pdf (a searchable pdf consisting in book pages scans, then passed to ocr that has added a text layer hidden under images, so pdf is searchable) this pdf has jbig2 compression (it counts 135 pages in A5 format scanned at 300 dpi and its size is about 1928 KB) After ocrization, I noticed that scans have been degrated in quality, so I want extract text layer and merge this text layer with another copy of same pdf containing scans in high quality it is possible extract a text layer from a pdf and then merge with raster layer of another pdf? -- Puppy Linux...

pdf \ text (get rid of text in pdf)

ANN: Fly Text to PDF

Extract some pages out of PDF in to a new PDF
Mission: To extract some pages out of a PDF and create a new PDF Tools available: Adobe Acrobat SDK for 6.0 and .NET studio Code written so far has been pasted below Dim AcroExchApp As Acrobat.CAcroApp Dim OldPdDoc As Acrobat.CAcroPDDoc Dim NewPdDoc As Acrobat.CAcroPDDoc Dim i As Integer Dim outputPageCount As Integer Dim inputPageCount As Integer AcroExchApp = CreateObject("AcroExch.App") OldPdDoc = CreateObject("AcroExch.PDDoc") NewPdDoc = CreateObject("AcroExch.PDDoc") ...

extract contents from pdf (pdf reader)
Hi, =20 I am looking for a way to read the contents of the pdf document. Could you pls advice on how to go about it? I have tried using the pdf-reader gem but ran into issues. Are there any other gems out there? =20 The issue I am facing with pdf-reader is - I installed 0.7.5 gem on Windows and am having 1.8.6 version of ruby. Now there seems to be some issue with the 0.7.5 version and hence downgraded to 0.7.3 as per the suggestions of the gem author in one of his replies on the mailing list. But even with 0.7.3, I am seeing the same issue. Am I missing something? =20 D:\Profiles\admin\My Doc...

Convert PDF image to PDF text
Hi, I have a PDF file with image text documents. hence I can't search the text. How can I convert it to searchable PDF file? Thanx You will have to scan it using an OCR (Optical Character Recognition) application and then create a PDF file. -- Don Vancouver, USA <WhiteLen@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1193737890.691267.165820@z9g2000hsf.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > > I have a PDF file with image text documents. hence I can't search the > text. How can I convert it to searchable PDF file? > > Thanx > Any recommendation for OCR application? ...

ghostscript PDF page extraction, leaving text as text
Ghostscript may be used to extract pages from a PDF file with a command like this: gs -sDEVICE=pdfwrite \ -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -dSAFER \ -dFirstPage=48 -dLastPage=48 \ -sOutputFile=onepage.pdf input.pdf The problem is, while that page looks the same as the original in a PDF reader, it seems to be an image rather than an "object" representation. That is, open the extracted PDF in something like Acrobat or PDF XChange Viewer and "search" and "text selection" work, whereas in the extracted one neither function works. Presumably this is because the text has been r...

extract Text from PDF
Hello NG! We Would like to extract addressdetails from PDF Letters placed on certain coordinates defined by German DIN Standard for Letters. For this purpose we=B4re looking for a solution to extract Text from a PDF Document placed on certain Pixel-Coordinates. Does somebody knew a possible Solution for this Problem? We=B4ve tried really much to achieve this task, unfortunately without any success yet. Thank you very much in Advance. Markus aparasta@epitop.com wrote: > Hello NG! > > We Would like to extract addressdetails from PDF Letters placed on > certain coordinates defin...

EXTRACT TEXT FROM PDF
Hello. I urgently need a C++/C# library to extract TEXT FROM PDF! Please somebody help! ...

Extract text from .pdf
I have Acrobat Pro, is it possible to extract text from a .pdf? I see the "save as" options including Word Doc but it still seems to be an image? The ocr software with my cannon lide 200 scanner is as useless as tits on a boar hog.......... In article <C61B79B5.40FEF%elvisp@compuserve.com>, The Wolf <elvisp@compuserve.com> wrote: > I have Acrobat Pro, is it possible to extract text from a .pdf? I see the > "save as" options including Word Doc but it still seems to be an image? Acrbat has its own OCR built-in. I've found it to be very accurate, eve...

Web resources about - Extract video from PDF - comp.text.pdf

Extract, transform, load - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Most data warehousing projects consolidate data from different source systems. Each separate system may also use a different data organization/ ...

Video to Photo Grabber - Video frame capture tool that grabs still photo and extracts high quality picture ...
Get Video to Photo Grabber - Video frame capture tool that grabs still photo and extracts high quality picture from movie file on the App Store. ...

Vanilla extract ready to sit - Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Spare Time (1939) - extract - YouTube
This classic documentary about the British at leisure arose from director Humphrey Jennings' work as one of the founders of the Mass Observation ...

Pasadena Girl takes out Champagne Stakes as Peter Moody extracts every last drop
... the champion trainer wasn't expecting the filly to be a group 1 winner as a two-year-old. Just like the stubby he is always hoping to extract ...

Dirty Secrets book extract: Smashing the state
In this extract from the new book Dirty Secrets, Jack Waterford ponders what secret surveillance got right and wrong about his days as a radical ...

These Things Happen book extract by Greg Fleet - HeraldSun Search Search
WARNING: Graphic content and coarse language This is an edited extract of Greg Fleet’s memoir These Things Happen, released by Macmillan Australia ...

Frank Sinatra: Behind the legend book extract - J. Randy Taraborrelli
IN 1938, twenty-two-year-old Frank Sinatra was young, handsome, charming, and, as a result of his bravado, able to have sex with virtually any ...

An extract from Dancing with a Cocaine Cowboy
Robyn Windshuttle recalls her long affair with a man who was charming, charismatic ... and a major cocaine dealer.

Canberra extracts healthy $850m in dividends from Medibank
Canberra extracts healthy $850m in dividends from Medibank