Forms-enabled PDFs

I downloaded a PDF from a State of Michigan web site and filled in the form=
s. Printed it and then hit the save button to save it with the information =
as filled in. (Using Acrobat Pro, not Reader.) The entries in the form fiel=
ds disappeared and I was left with a new blank form, just as it was when I =
started.=20

Is there some kind of setting that the form author used to compel this beha=
vior?
0
megath

> Is there some kind of setting that the form author used to compel
> this behavior?

Not sure, but below are the configurable permissions (as documented in
pdftk --help).  Notice there is a "FillIn" permission.  Maybe that
controls your ability to save?

=====8<----------------------------------------
       [allow <permissions>]
              Permissions are applied to the output PDF only if an encryption
              strength is specified or an owner or user password is given.  If
              permissions are not specified, they default to 'none,' which
              means all of the following features are disabled.

              The permissions section may include one or more of the following
              features:

              Printing
                     Top Quality Printing

              DegradedPrinting
                     Lower Quality Printing

              ModifyContents
                     Also allows Assembly

              Assembly

              CopyContents
                     Also allows ScreenReaders

              ScreenReaders

              ModifyAnnotations
                     Also allows FillIn

              FillIn

              AllFeatures
                     Allows the user to perform all of the above, and top
                     quality printing.

=====8<----------------------------------------

0
Fritz
9/2/2016 12:30:28 PM
On Wed, 31 Aug 2016 16:57:59 -0700 (PDT), megath wrote:

> I downloaded a PDF from a State of Michigan web site and filled in the forms. Printed it and then hit the save button to save it with the information as filled in. (Using Acrobat Pro, not Reader.) The entries in the form fields disappeared and I was left with a new blank form, just as it was when I started.

If it printed with your filled-in data showing in the output, then you
might equally well be able to "print" it "to PDF", using something like
BullZIP PDF printer, to keep the filled-in data showing, too.

> Is there some kind of setting that the form author used to compel this behavior?

Fritz has that covered better than I can do. HTH. Cheers, -- tlvp
tlvp