Get the thumbnail of a PDF as an image

Hi

- How can I extract the thumbnail of the first page in an existing PDF file
in my Windows Visual C++ application as a JPEG, PNG or TIFF?

- If possible I don't want to use the Acrobat SDK. Is there another library
available to do this?

 I have to do that in a Windows C++ application and eventually in a MAC OS X
application (Codewarrior; MACH-O).

Thanks
Hans

0
Hans

"Hans Stoessel" <hstoessel.list@pm-medici.ch> wrote:

>- How can I extract the thumbnail of the first page in an existing PDF file
>in my Windows Visual C++ application as a JPEG, PNG or TIFF?

Do you mean the embedded thumbnail? Do you know these are
(a) not present in most PDF files and
(b) of very poor quality and low resolution

>- If possible I don't want to use the Acrobat SDK. Is there another library
>available to do this?

Probably. It crucially depends on whether you really want to extract,
or whether what you really want to do is render a new thumbnail. The
second requires an enormously more powerful library.

> I have to do that in a Windows C++ application and eventually in a MAC OS X
>application (Codewarrior; MACH-O).

Mac OS X allows you to directly render a PDF using Quartz, as I
understand it.
Aandi Inston  quite@dial.pipex.com http://www.quite.com

quite
5/16/2006 7:52:58 AM
Hi

Thanks for the fast answer.

I mean the embedded thumbnail (if possible). I want to extract this one as a
JPEG, PNG or TIFF. How can I do that?

If I see that the quality is too low, I want to render a new thumbnail. But
first I want to test the embedded one.

Thanks again.

Regards
Hans

"Aandi Inston" <quite@dial.pipex.con> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> "Hans Stoessel" <hstoessel.list@pm-medici.ch> wrote:
>
>>- How can I extract the thumbnail of the first page in an existing PDF
>>file
>>in my Windows Visual C++ application as a JPEG, PNG or TIFF?
>
> Do you mean the embedded thumbnail? Do you know these are
> (a) not present in most PDF files and
> (b) of very poor quality and low resolution
>
>>- If possible I don't want to use the Acrobat SDK. Is there another
>>library
>>available to do this?
>
> Probably. It crucially depends on whether you really want to extract,
> or whether what you really want to do is render a new thumbnail. The
> second requires an enormously more powerful library.
>>
>> I have to do that in a Windows C++ application and eventually in a MAC OS
>>application (Codewarrior; MACH-O).
>
> Mac OS X allows you to directly render a PDF using Quartz, as I
> understand it.
> Aandi Inston  quite@dial.pipex.com http://www.quite.com
> Please support usenet! Post replies and follow-ups, don't e-mail them.

0
Hans
5/16/2006 8:09:00 AM
"Hans Stoessel" <hstoessel.list@pm-medici.ch> wrote:

>I mean the embedded thumbnail (if possible). I want to extract this one as a
>JPEG, PNG or TIFF. How can I do that?

There are no specific functions to do this (because it is such a
useless, poor thumbnail). To do this you would want an API that gave
low level access to the raw objects in a PDF. You would then retrieve
individual Thumbnail Images (see chapter 8.2.3). This would be an
image XObject in one of a number of color spaces, you would have to
convert this manually to your required bitmap format.
Aandi Inston  quite@dial.pipex.com http://www.quite.com

quite
5/16/2006 8:17:36 AM
Hi Hans,

Amongst the many features offered PDF-Tools SDK allows you retrieve a pages
thumbnail and save to a Raster format as required - you can obviously
replace should you require to do so.

I suspect you would need to be doing more than just this with the library to
justify the purchase price ($499) - but then there are a host of useful
features - so it should not be hard to find something with the functionality
to make it worthwhile.

There is a fully functional evaluation (no time out) of our complete PDF
Library and driver SDK available from :

http://www.docu-track.com/home/dev_tools/

The SDK is of course distributable Royalty Free once licensed.

--
Best Regards

John Verbeeten
Tracker Software Products
PDF-XChange & SDK, Image-XChange SDK,
PDF-Tools & SDK, TIFF-XChange & SDK, DocuTrack.
Email : johnV@docu-track.com
Support: http://www.docu-track.com/forum/index.php
Web site : http://www.docu-track.com
"Hans Stoessel" <hstoessel.list@pm-medici.ch> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> - How can I extract the thumbnail of the first page in an existing PDF
> file in my Windows Visual C++ application as a JPEG, PNG or TIFF?
>
> - If possible I don't want to use the Acrobat SDK. Is there another
> library available to do this?
>
> I have to do that in a Windows C++ application and eventually in a MAC OS
> X application (Codewarrior; MACH-O).
>
> Thanks
> Hans

0
John
5/16/2006 8:56:41 AM
I should add though - its Windows only.

--

"John V-Tracker" <johnv@docu-track.com> wrote in message
> Hi Hans,
>
> Amongst the many features offered PDF-Tools SDK allows you retrieve a
> pages thumbnail and save to a Raster format as required - you can
> obviously replace should you require to do so.
>
> I suspect you would need to be doing more than just this with the library
> to justify the purchase price ($499) - but then there are a host of useful
> features - so it should not be hard to find something with the
> functionality to make it worthwhile.
>
> There is a fully functional evaluation (no time out) of our complete PDF
> Library and driver SDK available from :
>
> http://www.docu-track.com/home/dev_tools/
>
> The SDK is of course distributable Royalty Free once licensed.
>
> --
> Best Regards
>
> John Verbeeten
> Tracker Software Products
> PDF-XChange & SDK, Image-XChange SDK,
> PDF-Tools & SDK, TIFF-XChange & SDK, DocuTrack.
> Email : johnV@docu-track.com
> Support: http://www.docu-track.com/forum/index.php
> Web site : http://www.docu-track.com
> "Hans Stoessel" <hstoessel.list@pm-medici.ch> wrote in message
>> Hi
>>
>> - How can I extract the thumbnail of the first page in an existing PDF
>> file in my Windows Visual C++ application as a JPEG, PNG or TIFF?
>>
>> - If possible I don't want to use the Acrobat SDK. Is there another
>> library available to do this?
>>
>> I have to do that in a Windows C++ application and eventually in a MAC OS
>> X application (Codewarrior; MACH-O).
>>
>> Thanks
>> Hans

0
John
5/16/2006 8:57:23 AM
Hi John

Thanks for the information.

At the moment I have only to extract the thumbnail, nothing else.

You mean I use a Single-User license for developing and can ship the library
or dll to our clients with my application?

Thanks again.

Regards
Hans

"John V-Tracker" <johnv@docu-track.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>I should add though - its Windows only.
>
> --
> Best Regards
>
> John Verbeeten
> Tracker Software Products
> PDF-XChange & SDK, Image-XChange SDK,
> PDF-Tools & SDK, TIFF-XChange & SDK, DocuTrack.
> Email : johnV@docu-track.com
> Support: http://www.docu-track.com/forum/index.php
> Web site : http://www.docu-track.com
> "John V-Tracker" <johnv@docu-track.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Hans,
>>
>> Amongst the many features offered PDF-Tools SDK allows you retrieve a
>> pages thumbnail and save to a Raster format as required - you can
>> obviously replace should you require to do so.
>>
>> I suspect you would need to be doing more than just this with the library
>> to justify the purchase price ($499) - but then there are a host of
>> useful features - so it should not be hard to find something with the
>> functionality to make it worthwhile.
>>
>> There is a fully functional evaluation (no time out) of our complete PDF
>> Library and driver SDK available from :
>>
>> http://www.docu-track.com/home/dev_tools/
>>
>> The SDK is of course distributable Royalty Free once licensed.
>>
>> --
>> Best Regards
>>
>> John Verbeeten
>> Tracker Software Products
>> PDF-XChange & SDK, Image-XChange SDK,
>> PDF-Tools & SDK, TIFF-XChange & SDK, DocuTrack.
>> Email : johnV@docu-track.com
>> Support: http://www.docu-track.com/forum/index.php
>> Web site : http://www.docu-track.com
>> "Hans Stoessel" <hstoessel.list@pm-medici.ch> wrote in message
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> - How can I extract the thumbnail of the first page in an existing PDF
>>> file in my Windows Visual C++ application as a JPEG, PNG or TIFF?
>>>
>>> - If possible I don't want to use the Acrobat SDK. Is there another
>>> library available to do this?
>>>
>>> I have to do that in a Windows C++ application and eventually in a MAC
>>> OS X application (Codewarrior; MACH-O).
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Hans

0
Hans
5/16/2006 9:13:42 AM
Hi John

I have tried the sample ThumNails. But I can't test it because the dll
xcpor30.dll fails.

What can I do?
Or how can I extract the thumbnails of a pdf?

Thanks
Hans

"John V-Tracker" <johnv@docu-track.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>I should add though - its Windows only.
>
> --
> Best Regards
>
> John Verbeeten
> Tracker Software Products
> PDF-XChange & SDK, Image-XChange SDK,
> PDF-Tools & SDK, TIFF-XChange & SDK, DocuTrack.
> Email : johnV@docu-track.com
> Support: http://www.docu-track.com/forum/index.php
> Web site : http://www.docu-track.com
> "John V-Tracker" <johnv@docu-track.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Hans,
>>
>> Amongst the many features offered PDF-Tools SDK allows you retrieve a
>> pages thumbnail and save to a Raster format as required - you can
>> obviously replace should you require to do so.
>>
>> I suspect you would need to be doing more than just this with the library
>> to justify the purchase price ($499) - but then there are a host of
>> useful features - so it should not be hard to find something with the
>> functionality to make it worthwhile.
>>
>> There is a fully functional evaluation (no time out) of our complete PDF
>> Library and driver SDK available from :
>>
>> http://www.docu-track.com/home/dev_tools/
>>
>> The SDK is of course distributable Royalty Free once licensed.
>>
>> --
>> Best Regards
>>
>> John Verbeeten
>> Tracker Software Products
>> PDF-XChange & SDK, Image-XChange SDK,
>> PDF-Tools & SDK, TIFF-XChange & SDK, DocuTrack.
>> Email : johnV@docu-track.com
>> Support: http://www.docu-track.com/forum/index.php
>> Web site : http://www.docu-track.com
>> "Hans Stoessel" <hstoessel.list@pm-medici.ch> wrote in message
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> - How can I extract the thumbnail of the first page in an existing PDF
>>> file in my Windows Visual C++ application as a JPEG, PNG or TIFF?
>>>
>>> - If possible I don't want to use the Acrobat SDK. Is there another
>>> library available to do this?
>>>
>>> I have to do that in a Windows C++ application and eventually in a MAC
>>> OS X application (Codewarrior; MACH-O).
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Hans

0
Hans
5/16/2006 9:31:44 AM
Hi Hans,

If you purchase the SDK - you can indeed distribute the require DLL's with
your app Royalty free.

I'll get the demo checked as XCPRO30 has been superseded by the XCPRO35.dll
and help file - could you please advise which of the demo app's you tried ?

Thanks

--

> Hi John
>
> I have tried the sample ThumNails. But I can't test it because the dll
> xcpor30.dll fails.
>
> What can I do?
> Or how can I extract the thumbnails of a pdf?
>
> Thanks
> Hans
>

> "John V-Tracker" <johnv@docu-track.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>>I should add though - its Windows only.
>>
>> --
>> Best Regards
>>
>> John Verbeeten
>> Tracker Software Products
>> PDF-XChange & SDK, Image-XChange SDK,
>> PDF-Tools & SDK, TIFF-XChange & SDK, DocuTrack.
>> Email : johnV@docu-track.com
>> Support: http://www.docu-track.com/forum/index.php
>> Web site : http://www.docu-track.com
>> "John V-Tracker" <johnv@docu-track.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi Hans,
>>>
>>> Amongst the many features offered PDF-Tools SDK allows you retrieve a
>>> pages thumbnail and save to a Raster format as required - you can
>>> obviously replace should you require to do so.
>>>
>>> I suspect you would need to be doing more than just this with the
>>> library to justify the purchase price ($499) - but then there are a host
>>> of useful features - so it should not be hard to find something with the
>>> functionality to make it worthwhile.
>>>
>>> There is a fully functional evaluation (no time out) of our complete PDF
>>> Library and driver SDK available from :
>>>
>>> http://www.docu-track.com/home/dev_tools/
>>>
>>> The SDK is of course distributable Royalty Free once licensed.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Best Regards
>>>
>>> John Verbeeten
>>> Tracker Software Products
>>> PDF-XChange & SDK, Image-XChange SDK,
>>> PDF-Tools & SDK, TIFF-XChange & SDK, DocuTrack.
>>> Email : johnV@docu-track.com
>>> Support: http://www.docu-track.com/forum/index.php
>>> Web site : http://www.docu-track.com
>>> "Hans Stoessel" <hstoessel.list@pm-medici.ch> wrote in message

0
John
5/16/2006 10:50:29 AM
Hi

I have tested the sample \Examples\SDKExamples\CExamples\ThumNails.
Meanwhile I have changed to the newest SDK 3.5 instead of the SDK 3. But I
haven't a thumbnail in my PDF so I can't export is as a bitmap.

Other question: Is it possible to export the first page of an existing PDF
as JPEG, PNG or TIFF? How can I do that?

Thanks for your support.

> Hi Hans,
>
> If you purchase the SDK - you can indeed distribute the require DLL's with
> your app Royalty free.
>
> I'll get the demo checked as XCPRO30 has been superseded by the
> XCPRO35.dll and help file - could you please advise which of the demo
> app's you tried ?
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Best Regards
>
> John Verbeeten
> Tracker Software Products
> PDF-XChange & SDK, Image-XChange SDK,
> PDF-Tools & SDK, TIFF-XChange & SDK, DocuTrack.
> Email : johnV@docu-track.com
> Support: http://www.docu-track.com/forum/index.php
> Web site : http://www.docu-track.com
> "Hans Stoessel" <hstoessel.list@pm-medici.ch> wrote in message
>> Hi John
>>
>> I have tried the sample ThumNails. But I can't test it because the dll
>> xcpor30.dll fails.
>>
>> What can I do?
>> Or how can I extract the thumbnails of a pdf?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Hans
>>

>> "John V-Tracker" <johnv@docu-track.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>>>I should add though - its Windows only.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Best Regards
>>>
>>> John Verbeeten
>>> Tracker Software Products
>>> PDF-XChange & SDK, Image-XChange SDK,
>>> PDF-Tools & SDK, TIFF-XChange & SDK, DocuTrack.
>>> Email : johnV@docu-track.com
>>> Support: http://www.docu-track.com/forum/index.php
>>> Web site : http://www.docu-track.com
>>> "John V-Tracker" <johnv@docu-track.com> wrote in message

0
Hans
5/16/2006 11:14:13 AM
Hi Hans,

Thanks for the info about the demo app - I will have this redundant demo
removed and replaced as necessary.

Obviously if the thumbnail is not there - it cannot be extract and I am
afraid we do not at this time offer a means to make one.

However - our own PDF viewer is currently in beta prior to release and once
the developer kit for this is released - we will provide a means to create
thumbnail and add it to the file.

--

> Hi
>
> I have tested the sample \Examples\SDKExamples\CExamples\ThumNails.
> Meanwhile I have changed to the newest SDK 3.5 instead of the SDK 3. But I
> haven't a thumbnail in my PDF so I can't export is as a bitmap.
>
> Other question: Is it possible to export the first page of an existing PDF
> as JPEG, PNG or TIFF? How can I do that?
>
> Thanks for your support.
>
> Regards.
> Hans
>

> "John V-Tracker" <johnv@docu-track.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> Hi Hans,
>>
>> If you purchase the SDK - you can indeed distribute the require DLL's
>> with your app Royalty free.
>>
>> I'll get the demo checked as XCPRO30 has been superseded by the
>> XCPRO35.dll and help file - could you please advise which of the demo
>> app's you tried ?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> --
>> Best Regards
>>
>> John Verbeeten
>> Tracker Software Products
>> PDF-XChange & SDK, Image-XChange SDK,
>> PDF-Tools & SDK, TIFF-XChange & SDK, DocuTrack.
>> Email : johnV@docu-track.com
>> Support: http://www.docu-track.com/forum/index.php
>> Web site : http://www.docu-track.com
>> "Hans Stoessel" <hstoessel.list@pm-medici.ch> wrote in message
>>> Hi John
>>>
>>> I have tried the sample ThumNails. But I can't test it because the dll
>>> xcpor30.dll fails.
>>>
>>> What can I do?
>>> Or how can I extract the thumbnails of a pdf?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Hans
>>>

>>> "John V-Tracker" <johnv@docu-track.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

0
John
5/16/2006 11:18:05 AM
Hi John

What about my other question? Is it possible to export the first page of a
PDF document as an image? I found the functions PDFXCp_GetImageFromPage and
several IMG_-functions. But I didn't find the library including this
functions.

> Hi Hans,
>
> Thanks for the info about the demo app - I will have this redundant demo
> removed and replaced as necessary.
>
> Obviously if the thumbnail is not there - it cannot be extract and I am
> afraid we do not at this time offer a means to make one.
>
> However - our own PDF viewer is currently in beta prior to release and
> once the developer kit for this is released - we will provide a means to
> create thumbnail and add it to the file.
>

> --
> Best Regards
>
> John Verbeeten
> Tracker Software Products
> PDF-XChange & SDK, Image-XChange SDK,
> PDF-Tools & SDK, TIFF-XChange & SDK, DocuTrack.
> Email : johnV@docu-track.com
> Support: http://www.docu-track.com/forum/index.php
> Web site : http://www.docu-track.com
> "Hans Stoessel" <hstoessel.list@pm-medici.ch> wrote in message
>> Hi
>>
>> I have tested the sample \Examples\SDKExamples\CExamples\ThumNails.
>> Meanwhile I have changed to the newest SDK 3.5 instead of the SDK 3. But
>> I haven't a thumbnail in my PDF so I can't export is as a bitmap.
>>
>> Other question: Is it possible to export the first page of an existing
>> PDF as JPEG, PNG or TIFF? How can I do that?
>>
>> Thanks for your support.
>>
>> Regards.
>> Hans
>>

>> "John V-Tracker" <johnv@docu-track.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>>> Hi Hans,
>>>
>>> If you purchase the SDK - you can indeed distribute the require DLL's
>>> with your app Royalty free.
>>>
>>> I'll get the demo checked as XCPRO30 has been superseded by the
>>> XCPRO35.dll and help file - could you please advise which of the demo
>>> app's you tried ?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> --
>>> Best Regards
>>>
>>> John Verbeeten
>>> Tracker Software Products
>>> PDF-XChange & SDK, Image-XChange SDK,
>>> PDF-Tools & SDK, TIFF-XChange & SDK, DocuTrack.
>>> Email : johnV@docu-track.com
>>> Support: http://www.docu-track.com/forum/index.php
>>> Web site : http://www.docu-track.com
>>> "Hans Stoessel" <hstoessel.list@pm-medici.ch> wrote in message

0
Hans
5/16/2006 11:33:26 AM
Hi Hans,

you can currently extract image content from a page to any of the Raster
Image formats supported  - if they are in fact images, but you cannot
extract non image content to an image file (i.e. Text etc).

But - as stated - once our viewer is released in the coming weeks - this too
will be supported, you will be able to convert pages/files etc to image
content and extract to any of the supported Raster formats.

For your info :

PDFXCp_GetImageFromPage  is detailed in the help file XCPRO35.CHM
The  IMG_- functions are detailed in the help for our Imaging Library
(Image-XChange which is a separate download) - a limited number of these
functions are accessible (and allowed)  from the PDF libraries to assist in
Image related functionality

HTH

--

> Hi John
>
> What about my other question? Is it possible to export the first page of a
> PDF document as an image? I found the functions PDFXCp_GetImageFromPage
> and several IMG_-functions. But I didn't find the library including this
> functions.
>
> Regards
> Hans
>

> "John V-Tracker" <johnv@docu-track.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> Hi Hans,
>>
>> Thanks for the info about the demo app - I will have this redundant demo
>> removed and replaced as necessary.
>>
>> Obviously if the thumbnail is not there - it cannot be extract and I am
>> afraid we do not at this time offer a means to make one.
>>
>> However - our own PDF viewer is currently in beta prior to release and
>> once the developer kit for this is released - we will provide a means to
>> create thumbnail and add it to the file.
>>

>> --
>> Best Regards
>>
>> John Verbeeten
>> Tracker Software Products
>> PDF-XChange & SDK, Image-XChange SDK,
>> PDF-Tools & SDK, TIFF-XChange & SDK, DocuTrack.
>> Email : johnV@docu-track.com
>> Support: http://www.docu-track.com/forum/index.php
>> Web site : http://www.docu-track.com
>> "Hans Stoessel" <hstoessel.list@pm-medici.ch> wrote in message
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I have tested the sample \Examples\SDKExamples\CExamples\ThumNails.
>>> Meanwhile I have changed to the newest SDK 3.5 instead of the SDK 3. But
>>> I haven't a thumbnail in my PDF so I can't export is as a bitmap.
>>>
>>> Other question: Is it possible to export the first page of an existing
>>> PDF as JPEG, PNG or TIFF? How can I do that?
>>>
>>> Thanks for your support.
>>>
>>> Regards.
>>> Hans
>>>

>>> "John V-Tracker" <johnv@docu-track.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

0
John

On Tue, 16 May 2006 13:14:13 +0200 "Hans Stoessel"
<hstoessel.list@pm-medici.ch> wrote:

> Other question: Is it possible to export the first page of an
> existing PDF as JPEG, PNG or TIFF? How can I do that?

raster it. If you want free utilities, check out Ghostscript or
Xpdf/poppler (e.g. pdftopnm). If you want to embed into C++ code, I'd
suggest the poppler library, should work right out of the box. Use
libpng/libtiff/libjpeg for conversion into the formats you've
mentioned, poppler will only give uncompressed raw pages.

I don't know about commercial ones here, most I've seen use one of the
mentioned free utilities internally.

-hwh
0
Hans