Horizontal scroll in PDF?

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

I have programmed an application that makes simple text pdf files.
Sometimes
the source lines are very long, and that is how I leave them in the pdf.
Problem is
that Acrobat Reader does not put up a horizontal scroll bar as I would have
expected
to allow the user to see the whole line, it just cuts it off.  I know that
ctrl-4 will
reflow the text so that it is visible, but is there a way to force the
reader to allow
horizontal scrolling?  I would prefer to leave the source document the way
it was
originally.

0
Reply comaxis (19) 10/12/2007 4:59:07 PM

See related articles to this posting

"Jeff McKay" <comaxis@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I have programmed an application that makes simple text pdf files.
>Sometimes
>the source lines are very long, and that is how I leave them in the pdf.
>Problem is
>that Acrobat Reader does not put up a horizontal scroll bar as I would have
>expected
>to allow the user to see the whole line, it just cuts it off.

Adobe Reader will happily provide a horizontal scroll bar to allow you
to go left and right in the page.

However, I suspect you are placing text outside the page. The page
size (media box) is rigorously enforced, there is no enlargement just
because elements happen to lie outside it.
Aandi Inston

Reply quite 10/12/2007 5:27:01 PM

That sounds like a reasonable explanation.  So wouldn't the solution
be to increase the size of the media box?  I have tried expanding it
to several thousand units in both directions, and it has no effect on the
reader's behavior.  No scroll box.  If you would like take a look at
an example of a .pdf file with this problem, you can download test.pdf
at ftp.comaxis.com.

"Aandi Inston" <quite@dial.pipex.con> wrote in message
> "Jeff McKay" <comaxis@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>I have programmed an application that makes simple text pdf files.
>>Sometimes
>>the source lines are very long, and that is how I leave them in the pdf.
>>Problem is
>>that Acrobat Reader does not put up a horizontal scroll bar as I would
>>have
>>expected
>>to allow the user to see the whole line, it just cuts it off.
>
> Adobe Reader will happily provide a horizontal scroll bar to allow you
> to go left and right in the page.
>
> However, I suspect you are placing text outside the page. The page
> size (media box) is rigorously enforced, there is no enlargement just
> because elements happen to lie outside it.

-1
Reply Jeff 10/12/2007 9:27:45 PM

"Jeff McKay" <comaxis@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:13gvpmm3kbhlh73@news.supernews.com...
> That sounds like a reasonable explanation.  So wouldn't the solution
> be to increase the size of the media box?  I have tried expanding it
> to several thousand units in both directions, and it has no effect on the
> reader's behavior.  No scroll box.  If you would like take a look at
> an example of a .pdf file with this problem, you can download test.pdf
> at ftp.comaxis.com.

PDF is case sensitive for its keywords. You need to capitalize the B in MediaBox.

0
Reply Dan 10/12/2007 10:19:43 PM

Oh for cryin' out loud...  Thank you.

> PDF is case sensitive for its keywords. You need to capitalize the B in
> MediaBox.

0
Reply Jeff 10/13/2007 6:25:08 AM
comp.text.pdf 5540 articles. 36 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Horizontal scrolling
Does anybody know how to disable the horizontal scrolling on ASPX form? What JAVA script should be used for that? The standard methods don't help and I'm looking for some JAVA function to fire it onscroll event to scroll the page back. Actually it's a bug of ASPX pages, we can disable the vertical scrolling but horizontal scrolling works if we try it with the touchpad. The only one possible solution I see is to use JAVA scripting. Just D. It could be that this is not the case here, but it's easy to check: Asuming you're using DreamWeaver: Dreamweaver always insert...

Can I scroll horizontally without having the pointer over the scroll bar? Please?
Gah. The tilt wheel mouse has been in use by LabVIEW users (judging by the old messages about this I've found) since 2001. However, every solution for "Can I scroll horizontally, please?" is "Hover over the scroll bar and use the regular scroll wheel." The whole point of having the tilt is that you *don't* have to move your mouse away from what you're doing (working on your front panel or block diagram) to go hunt down the scroll bar. This is a *huge* usability win in spreadsheets, and it would be for LabVIEW as well, were it possible. We're encouraged...

horizontal scrolling
Do we have to do horizontal scrolling the browser to read some posts? ......test for system wrapping function.....................fox jumped over the lazy dog.fox jumped over the lazy dog.fox jumped over the lazy dog.fox jumped over the lazy dog.fox jumped over the lazy dogfox jumped over the lazy dogfox jumped over the lazy dog. ...

Horizontal scrolling.
Hello everybody. Is it possible to scroll horizontally (like in slrn)? It is useful, for example, if messages have a long subject lines, and there is not enough space on screen to display them in index (i don't want to hide other fields, like sender's name etc., and often even if i did, there still wouldn't be enough space to display the whole subject line) ddtl. On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 18:35:53 +0300, ddtl wrote: > Hello everybody. > > Is it possible to scroll horizontally (like in slrn)? > > It is useful, for example, if messages have a long ...

TextArea Horizontal Scrolling
I hope that this is an appropriate question for this forum. So far I have had some difficutly getting an answer to my problem. I have a java application with a textarea. I would like the horizontal scroll bar to work. I have managed to add the style overflow: scroll, which has caused the scroll bars to stay on even when not needed, but for some reason, text is wrapping in the textbox. If the line is too long, it goes to the next line, but still performs the carriage return linefeed at the end of the line. I have also tried to use the white- space style property both nowrap, and pre, with...

Horizontally scrolling JTable
I am unable to make my JTable/JScrollPane so that it gains horizontal scrollbars when container width < JTable min width. Any suggestions? SSCCE -----------------------------------8<--------------------------------- import java.awt.BorderLayout; import javax.swing.JComponent; import javax.swing.JFrame; import javax.swing.JPanel; import javax.swing.JScrollPane; import javax.swing.JTable; import javax.swing.table.TableColumn; public class HorizScrollTable extends JPanel { HorizScrollTable() { setLayout(new BorderLayout()); JTable table = new JTable(data, headin...

horizontal scrolling in a jtable
I have a big trouble with horizontal scrolling in a jtable. I have tried with autoresizeoff but there is a problem of refresh Could someone help me? Regards Maurizio Hello! maurizio <mcivenn@tin.it> wrote: > I have a big trouble with horizontal scrolling in a jtable. > I have tried with autoresizeoff but there is a problem of refresh > Could someone help me? Please post a compilable example that shows that behaviour. Christian "Christian Kaufhold" <usenet@chka.de> ha scritto nel messaggio news:0t3f1eed33i91bn1f4@simia.chka.de... > Hello! > > ...

Re: horizontal scrolling
On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 12:08:12 -0400, Ben <benpub7@YAHOO.COM> wrote: >Do we have to do horizontal scrolling the browser to read some posts? >.....test for system wrapping function.....................fox jumped over >the lazy dog.fox jumped over the lazy dog.fox jumped over the lazy dog.fox >jumped over the lazy dog.fox jumped over the lazy dogfox jumped over the >lazy dogfox jumped over the lazy dog. It is fine. what happened to those posts? Can anybody tell me how to read an article without horizontally scrolling the broswer. Thank you. ben ...

control horizontal scrolling
Hello, in my webapp, I''ve a long timebar that needs an horizontal scrolling. In this bar there are past and futur events. In current stage of my page, the scrolling is initialized in the left position. I would like to visualize current date in the bar at page start... so do you know if there are solution ? using "%" or "px" position, or using anchors on current date for example ? Thanks a lot. On Apr 27, 8:53=A0am, Pif <fjs...@laposte.net> wrote: > Hello, in my webapp, =A0I''ve a long timebar that needs an horizontal > scrolling....

horizontal scrolling with touchpad
Touchpads in X, with the correct drivers loaded have the ability to emulate the mousewheel. So, sliding your finger up and down the right vertical axis will generate <Button-4>/<Button-5> events. The added functionality of the touchpad is that sliding your finger on the lower horizontal axis will generate <Button-6>/<Button-7> events. Many (non-tk) apps bind these to the horizontal scrollbar. I am trying to get this to work in Tk, but <Button-6> and <Button-7> dont appear to be supported. Can anyone help me with this? Thanks in advance, Andrew Black ...

horizontal scroll bar
I'm playing around with an image gallery. One idea is to have a set of thumbs on one top row. Let's say the division is 800 pixels wide. And there are 30 thumbs. I do not want a second row when the thumbs hit the right edge of the division. Which means the slider on the bar has to adjust accordingly. Is there a simple script in php that can do this or what? I have seen this done in some galleries. "richard" <member@newsguy.com> wrote in message news:snrkwyvx4n7e$.l1y3gp312l90.dlg@40tude.net... > I'm playing around with an image gallery. One idea is...

horizontal scrolling with javascript?
hi i was wondering if it's possible to use javascript to scroll content on a css layer, similar to on this site www.stella.net.nz except for the scroll to be horizontal, instead of vertical. does anyone know of any scripts of tutorials? thanks luke I checked out the web site, but I didn't see the vertical scroller you are asking about. SCDeveloper http://www.sharingcorner.com luke wrote: > hi > > i was wondering if it's possible to use javascript to scroll content on a > css layer, similar to on this site > > www.stella.net.nz > > except for the...

[vim] scrolling horizontally
Has there been, or will there be (in the foreseeable future) made an attempt to make Vim scroll horizontally depending on the length of the longest line in the file instead of the length of the line where the cursor is on? As it is right now, I have to place the cursor on the longeste line. in order to be able to scroll horizontally to see the whole content. Settings like ":set wrap" ":set siso=10" ":set virtualedit=all" don't seem to be the right approach for me. Hi, On 2004-06-15, Joe Koenig <jko@gmx.de> wrote: > Has there ...

HITextView and horizontal scrolling
Hello! I have downloaded Apple's demo file concerning HITextView. The example is working fine. I need to have a HITextView that also scrolls horizontally. Therefore, I have change the attributes of the HITextView (wrapping at the end of the view edge is now NOT allowed) and I have added the horizontal slider. Unfortunately, the text is still wrapped and the horizontal slider is not working. I have tried the same thing in my own program but also there it does not work (without using the interface builder). Where is the trick? Thanks in advance! Hartwig Hartwig Wie...

Horizontal scrolling of pictures
Hi all, I'm using Eudora 6.1. When someone send to me a message with a large attached picture, there is no horizontal scroll bar to see all the picture in the mail. i only can see the left part of the picture. Is it possible to have such an horizontal scroll bar, or is there another tip to scroll the picture ? Many thanks, Gerapa. On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 13:27:00 +0200, Gerapa <gerapa@netpasdecourrier.com> wrote: >I'm using Eudora 6.1. When someone send to me a message with a large >attached picture, there is no horizontal scroll bar to see all the >p...

horizontal scroll bar
New to VB6. Please pardon my lack of experience... I have a list box which has long entires which cannot fit across the box width. Can I put a horizontal scroll bar onto the bottom of a list box and, if so, how do I do it? I tried adding one to the list box on the form view from the left side selection set but it doesn't do anything to the list. Thanks in advance. > New to VB6. Please pardon my lack of experience... > I have a list box which has long entires which cannot fit across the box > width. Can I put a horizontal scroll bar onto the bottom of a list b...

Horizontal scroll to nowhere---why?
Here's a mystery I can't figure out: www.votewake.org displays with a horizontal scroll bar at the bottom of the window, indicating there's content off to the right. But there isn't. The associated page, www.votewake.org/answers.html, doesn't display with the scroll bar, even though both pages have the same layout. Both pages validate. Why does the first page think it's wider than it is? -- Pull MYFINGER to e-mail me. "Paul Wake" <wakeMYFINGER@xmission.com> wrote in message news:ffmenv$s8f$1@news.xmission.com... > Here's a myst...

how to scroll horizontal in a listview
LS, Scrolling horizontal in a listview in reportmode. The column number is known, but the column is not visible, how can I make the column visible in code? Thanks a lot for your answer. -- Sam Francke Sam Francke wrote: > LS, > Scrolling horizontal in a listview in reportmode. > The column number is known, but the column is not visible, how can I > make the column visible in code? You could send the control an lvm_Scroll message. Combine the column widths with the current position (lvm_GetOrigin) to figure out how far you need to scroll. -- Rob Rob Ken...

ListView: Horizontal scroll
How to calculate a horizontal shift in pixels of ListView? -- D.Zamotkin "D. Zamotkin" <dz@tvcom.ru> wrote in message news:c8d75f3c.0408090308.52d58b05@posting.google.com... > How to calculate a horizontal shift in pixels of ListView? Do you mean the current position of the scrollbar, or the amount that will be scrolled in reponse to a line or page scroll? Regards Blair Hello Blair, McGlashan" <blair@oa.com> wrote in message news:<2nq9vsF3g19hU2@uni-berlin.de>... > > How to calculate a horizontal shift in pixels of ListView...

Horizontal scrolling / panning
Hello All I've been reading the forum posts for a few weeks and can't find anything either here or on the www. Is it possible to scroll / pan a plot display. For example, I have a large horizontal plot of data, thousands of items. I can zoom in with the mouse (right click and select an area). But then I have to zoom out to select another area. I'd like to press left/right cursor keys to scroll left and right. I tried writing a bind key press to change the xrange and then replot but I cant get the current x position on the left and right of the screen to calculat...

psql scroll horizontal
Hi, does anybody know how I can have psql scroll wide tables instead of wrapping them? At the moment it uses the pager if there are too many rows. But although I can scroll horizontal then, it still wraps some rows around. Additionally It would be nice, if the pager is used as soon as the width is to wide (independant from the amount of rows). TIA -- e-Trolley Sayegh & John, Nabil Sayegh Tel.: 0700 etrolley /// 0700 38765539 Fax.: +49 69 8299381-8 PGP : http://www.e-trolley.de ---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 6: ...

How do you disable horizontal scrolling?
Hi, Is it possible to disble horizontal scrolling using CSS? I want to try and use two backgrounds, one tiling vertically and part of the body background, which will not force scrolling, but one that will be part of a table stretching of to the right, which will force unwanted horizontal scrolling. How is this written in the stylesheet? Cheers Burnsy bissatch@yahoo.co.uk (mr_burns) wrote: >Is it possible to disble horizontal scrolling using CSS? I want to try >and use two backgrounds, one tiling vertically and part of the body >background, which will not force scrolli...

prevent horizontal scrolling
I have an application that sends HTML emails. The HTML is basically a template that I provide, but part of the HTML is supplied by the user. Sometimes the user inadvertently supplies HTML which cause the the email recipient to have to scroll horizontally to see it. Is there any tag that I can use in my template to enclose the user HTML to make sure that doesn't happen? I've tried enclosing it in <table width="100%"> but that doesn't prevent the problem. On 2008-02-06, Jason <Jason.Davis.KC@gmail.com> wrote: > I have an application that sends HT...

Is horizontal scrolling okay?
My web site is not particularly theme-based, but it contains an Art Gallery I'd like to display in a different perspective. I would like to horizontally scroll it, rather than vertically - as if the viewer is virtually "walking" through the gallery. I'm just attempting this to have this part of the page be different. Is horizontal scrolling okay, or will it throw our browsers into chaos and viewers into insanity? If horizontal scrolling is acceptable, how would I code it to render properly, as opposed to vertical scrolling? -- - Dave Dave wrote: > My...