How do I view/print PDF files on SCO Unixware

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

We have SCO Unixware 7.1.3 running on Pentium 4. Looks like Adobe
Acrobat Reader isn't available for Unixware ! Am I right? If it is
available, I am unable to find the download page. Can you please point
me to the Adobe Reader download/install page? The only compatible
platforms I see are HPUX, AIX, Linux, Solaris, Mac and ofcourse
Windows.

If not Adobe Acrobat Reader, is there any other utility that I can use
on SCO Unixware to view/print PDF files?

Thanks
Shashi
0
Reply provo1234 (13) 1/27/2004 5:39:18 PM

See related articles to this posting

Hi,
Shashi <provo1234@hotmail.com> wrote:
> We have SCO Unixware 7.1.3 running on Pentium 4. Looks like Adobe
> Acrobat Reader isn't available for Unixware ! Am I right? If it is
> available, I am unable to find the download page. Can you please point
> me to the Adobe Reader download/install page? The only compatible
> platforms I see are HPUX, AIX, Linux, Solaris, Mac and ofcourse
> Windows.

> If not Adobe Acrobat Reader, is there any other utility that I can use
> on SCO Unixware to view/print PDF files?

xpdf can do this.
Maybe there is an older Version of Acroread available for SCO (e.g. 3.0).
Bye,
 Christopher

--
Christopher Intemann
	mail:inte@goe.net             		 .~.

0
Reply Christopher 1/27/2004 6:01:58 PM

provo1234@hotmail.com (Shashi) wrote:

>If not Adobe Acrobat Reader, is there any other utility that I can use
>on SCO Unixware to view/print PDF files?

GhostScript.
xpdf.
Aandi Inston  quite@dial.pipex.com http://www.quite.com

Reply quite 1/27/2004 6:32:31 PM

Thanks Aandi,

I have already tried GhostScript. I am having problems with fonts. I
have installed the latest available fonts with Ghostscript but it did
not help either. I am just lost!

Any suggestions are very welcome.

Thanks again
Shashi

quite@dial.pipex.con (Aandi Inston) wrote in message news:<4016aeb4.897054936@reading.news.pipex.net>...
> provo1234@hotmail.com (Shashi) wrote:
>
> >If not Adobe Acrobat Reader, is there any other utility that I can use
> >on SCO Unixware to view/print PDF files?
>
> GhostScript.
> xpdf.
> Aandi Inston  quite@dial.pipex.com http://www.quite.com
> Please support usenet! Post replies and follow-ups, don't e-mail them.
0
Reply provo1234 1/27/2004 9:58:19 PM

Thanks Aandi,

I treid "pdf2ps" command which comes witgh Ghostscript without luck. I
am having some problems with fonts. It gives out a bunch of errors
regarding the fonts inspite of installing all the latest available
fonts with Ghostscript.

Will try xpdf soon. Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks
Shashi

quite@dial.pipex.con (Aandi Inston) wrote in message news:<4016aeb4.897054936@reading.news.pipex.net>...
> provo1234@hotmail.com (Shashi) wrote:
>
> >If not Adobe Acrobat Reader, is there any other utility that I can use
> >on SCO Unixware to view/print PDF files?
>
> GhostScript.
> xpdf.
> Aandi Inston  quite@dial.pipex.com http://www.quite.com
> Please support usenet! Post replies and follow-ups, don't e-mail them.
0
Reply provo1234 1/27/2004 10:05:18 PM

provo1234@hotmail.com (Shashi) wrote:

>Thanks Aandi,
>
>I have already tried GhostScript. I am having problems with fonts. I
>have installed the latest available fonts with Ghostscript but it did
>not help either. I am just lost!
>
>Any suggestions are very welcome.

I suggest you post specific problems.  You are likely to have to
persist with GhostScript and get it working, so describe exactly what
packages you have installed and how you have set it up. Describe your
problems in details - error messages and symptoms in full. All details
are important.  If you can't remember, delete it and start again so
the environment is controlled. There are many GhostScript users here
who can probably help (though not me).

Aandi Inston  quite@dial.pipex.com http://www.quite.com

Reply quite 1/28/2004 9:41:46 AM

Hi,
Shashi <provo1234@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Aandi,

> I treid "pdf2ps" command which comes witgh Ghostscript without luck. I
> am having some problems with fonts. It gives out a bunch of errors
> regarding the fonts inspite of installing all the latest available
> fonts with Ghostscript.
Maybe you should download and install the fonts, or, if you already did,
take care if they are available.
Are they available with xfontsel?

> Will try xpdf soon. Do you have any other suggestions?

Just for interest, is there *any* good reason for using SCO Unixware?
Regards,
 Christopher

--
Christopher Intemann
	mail:inte@goe.net             		 .~.
PGP-Public-Key:                        	        ^^ ^^
	 http://www.math.uni-goettingen.de/intemann/pgp

0
Reply Christopher 1/28/2004 10:00:39 AM
comp.text.pdf 5544 articles. 36 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

How print a pdf file on both sides of a paper(Duplexing for pdf files)
Hi All, Please let me know how to print a pdf file on both sides of a papers. Thanks in advance. krishnapalvadi@gmail.com wrote: > Hi All, > Please let me know how to print a pdf file on both sides of a > papers. > Thanks in advance. > Do you have a duplex printer? krishnapalvadi@gmail.com wrote: > Hi All, > Please let me know how to print a pdf file on both sides of a > papers. > Thanks in advance. The same way that you would print any other document on both sides of the paper. You select duplex output in your printer driver properties. Presuma...

Print to ps file not pdf file
Hello, all! In Classic Mac OS, it was possible to print to a .ps (postscript) file instead of sending a document to a printer. In Mac OS X, it is now possible to print to a .pdf (Adobe portable document format) file instead of sending a document to a printer, but you can no longer print to a .ps file. The printer in our department (an HP Laserjet 8000 N) does not print ..pdf documents for some reason (network operator says it's something Adobe did wrong - not really the point of my post) but will still print ..ps files just fine. I am a math grad student, so the program I use mos...

Printing a PDF File from a Batch file?
Is there a utilty which can be used in a ..bat file or a VBS script which will queue a PDF file to the default printer? Thanks, Peter Gordon Hello, You did not say if you have ADOBE ACROBAT installed on you computer? I think you can use the verb "PRINT" or "PRINTTO" with the win32 API "ShellExecute" to queue and print the PDF file on the default printer only. However, the file type "PDF" must be registered in the system registry first -- then windows will be able launches the appropriate program for that particular file. http://s...

Problem
# application server - JbossServer-4.0.4.# OS: windowsXP# IDE: Eclipse# Problem - I want to print Current Output of Pdf file and shouldprint once.I get print dialog box but it is not working properly.public void doPost(HttpServletRequest request, HttpServletResponseresponse) throws ServletException, IOException { String strId="QI0001"; ByteArrayOutputStream baosPDF = generatePDFDocumentBytes(strId); response.setContentType("application/pdf"); response.setContentLength(baosPDF.size()); ServletOutputStream out = response.getOutputStream...

Problem
# application server - JbossServer-4.0.4. # OS: windowsXP # IDE: Eclipse # Problem - I want to print Current Output of Pdf file and should print once.I get print dialog box but it is not working properly. public void doPost(HttpServletRequest request, HttpServletResponse response) throws ServletException, IOException { String strId="QI0001"; ByteArrayOutputStream baosPDF = generatePDFDocumentBytes(strId); response.setContentType("application/pdf"); response.setContentLength(baosPDF.size()); ServletOutputStream out = response...

print PDF file from command line to postscript file
How do I print a PDF file from the command line so that: 1. It prints only page 34 and nothing else. 2. Prints page 34 to a PostScript called "34.ps" I would like to script this so that I can run it from an VT100 terminal. In article <b184cb3d.0404221743.7730ed01@posting.google.com>, luther wrote: > How do I print a PDF file from the command line so that: > > 1. It prints only page 34 and nothing else. > 2. Prints page 34 to a PostScript called "34.ps" > > I would like to script this so that I can run it from an VT100 terminal. ...

Print Method: Print as Image option for Acrobat and PDF files
I've had some recent encounters with PDF files that wil display onscreen on a Mac with no problem but won't print because of PostScript errors that are apparently related to differences in Times New Roman fonts between PCs and Macs. These printing problems go away if I select "Print Method: Print as Image" rather than "Print Method: PostScript" in the Acrobat or Acrobat Reader submenu of the Print dialog box. [Setup is Mac IBook, OS 9.2, Acrobat and Acrobat Reader 5.0, AdobePS printer driver in the Chooser, HP 6MP LaserJet.] I just like to understand a lit...

Print or Save a PDF document, as a PDF file, "2 up"?
OS X allows one to print most documents to a PDF file and/or to print documents "2 up" (2 pages/page) or even higher. But I can't seem to print a PDF document to a PDF file this way -- at least not from Adobe Acrobat. The OS X Print dialog says "Use Save, not Print", but Acrobat's Save As doesn't seem to have a 2-up option. How to do this? In article <siegman-3CA794.13163209042005@news.stanford.edu>, AES <siegman@stanford.edu> wrote: > OS X allows one to print most documents to a PDF file and/or to print > documents "2 up" ...

viewing pdf files
i'm looking for some way of viewing in thumbnail form about 200 pdf files - any ideas? Cheers JulieD On Sat, 12 Jun 2004, Julie wrote: > i'm looking for some way of viewing in thumbnail form about 200 pdf > files - any ideas? Do you need to be able to click on thumbnail and have the original pdf displayed? A lot depends on the nature of the files -- are they images? Is the subject matter such that the thumbnails look different? There are many "slide-sorter" image viewers that display multiple thumbnail images. While few (ACDC may be an exception) directly suppo...

Printing of PDF Files
Hello all. My goal is to be able to programmatically print Adobe PDF files without using Acrobat Reader. I searched CPAN and found a whole slew of PDF modules that allow you to edit, create, etc. PDF files but none to explicitly print. Is there such a module (e.g. PDF::Print)? I originally created a Perl script that converted the PDF to PS, then printed the PS file but I would prefer to save a step and directly print the PDF file... Domenico Domenico, PDF and PS are among others printer formats. There are several possiblities to print PDF files directly: a) Buy a printer who can pri...

Print PDF file
Help. I have a PDF file with password to Print. The icon of printer i dissabled. How i can print it????? thank you Francisco Garcia schrieb: > Help. > I have a PDF file with password to Print. > The icon of printer i dissabled. > How i can print it????? > thank you 1. Learn German. 2. Read: http://www-user.tu-chemnitz.de/~ralk/pdf_p004_short.php Ralf -- Ralf Koenig Wissenschaftlicher Mitarbeiter an der Professur Rechnernetze und verteilte Systeme TU Chemnitz, Zi. 1/B320, Tel. 0371-531-1532 Ralf Koenig wrote: > Francisco Garcia schrieb: >> Help. >> I have...

Print pdf file
I have a pdf file in a table as an OLE object. I want print it but not display with Acrobat. I already found on this news a solution as this: Dim risp risp=Shell("C:\TuoPercorso\AcroRd32.exe /p /h C:\PercorsoFile\TuoFile.PDF") but is necessary a path on disk. Is there someone that know how do it with an OLE object? Ciuky On 2 Mar 2004 08:06:19 -0800, ciuky2003@tiscalinet.it (ciuky2003) wrote: >I have a pdf file in a table as an OLE object. I want print it but not >display with Acrobat. >I already found on this news a solution as this: > >Dim risp >risp=Shell(&...

Cannot print pdf file
Hi, I've a problem printing a pdf file I downloaded from the internet. When I try to print it with the recent version of the Acrobat reader, I get the error message saying that some fonts could not be downloaded. Trying to open that pdf file with ghostview, I get the error message: Error: /undefined in /BXlevelAFPL Ghostscript 7.03: Unrecoverable error, exit code 1 Operand stack: --dict:2/2(L)-- 1 --dict:6/6(ro)(G)-- xref Execution stack: %interp_exit .runexec2 --nostringval-- --nostringval-- --nostringval-- 2 %stopped_push --nostringval-- --nostringval--...

cannot view pdf file
Any help solving this problem would be appreciated. I wrote these documents in Microsoft word and converted them to pdf with win2pdf. I can view these in adobe acrobat 6.0 but I cannot view them with Gsview 4.4 and ghostscript 8.11. I contacted GSview and they said it is a ghostscript problem. The error I get is: GSview 4.4 2003-04-04 AFPL Ghostscript 8.11 (2003-08-16) Copyright (C) 2003 artofcode LLC, Benicia, CA. All rights reserved. This software comes with NO WARRANTY: see the file PUBLIC for details. Scanning PDF file %GSVIEW_PDF_PAGES: 1 7 Displaying PDF page 1 %GSVIEW_PDF_PAGE: 1 %GS...

printing to a pdf file
Running 5.2 and need to print to a pdf file that will be handled be another system. What product can be used to print to a pdf file? On Dec 8, 9:30 am, gdoo...@yahoo.com wrote: > Running 5.2 and need to print to a pdf file that will be handled be > another system. What product can be used to print to a pdf file? maybe Ghostscript gdoogle@yahoo.com schrieb: > Running 5.2 and need to print to a pdf file that will be handled be > another system. What product can be used to print to a pdf file? a2ps, ps2pdf ? Does anyone happen to know the website for downloading "ps2pdf ...

Printing to a pdf file
I am currently at a site where some users have Adobe Reader/Distiller 6 installed on their PC's and I need to provide the ability to save reports as pdf files. Searching the internet I found a number of sites that described how to do this, but they involved writing to the registry. As this is an soe site I am unable to modify the registry. Without doing this I gather I cannot preset the file name or path of the pdf file to be created. When I open the report with the default printer set to Adobe PDF Writer, I get the Savas dialog box. I would prefer to fully automate this process so tried ...

Printing Pdf Files
Hi ! I'm trying to Print a PDF File from a Program with the following Command :- >ShellExecute(NULL,String2Psz("print"),String2Psz("12345.pdf"),NULL,String2Psz("C:\Test"),SW_HIDE ) However, Adobe Acrobat doesn't seem to be getting the path information, what am I doing wrong ?? Many thanks Cheers Vic Vic, Here's what I use to open Acrobat: ShellExecute( oAppWindowGlobal:Handle(), ; String2Psz("open"), ; String2Psz(sPDFFullPath), ; NULL_PTR, ; NULL_PTR, ; SW_SHOW...

Printing PDF files
Hi Friends, Does anybody of you know a method on how to print PDF documents from an application to a specific printer not to the default printer.I have done for the default printer. I need to do it for the user specific printer char *path = "c:\\ctpg.pdf"; ShellExecute(NULL, "open", path, NULL, NULL, SW_NORMAL); ShellExecute(NULL, "print", path, NULL, NULL, SW_NORMAL); this prints to the default printer. Please help me regarding this. Thanx in advance Mullai ...

How to print a PDF file.
Hi, In the near future a customer of mine wants to use PageScript32 to create a PDF file. Now I'm looking for an elegant way to print that file to the default printer. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Gerard Dear Gerard: "Gerard" <codgy63@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:frvojc$uhr$1@aioe.org... > Hi, > > In the near future a customer of mine wants to use > PageScript32 to create a PDF file. Now I'm looking > for an elegant way to print that file to the default > printer. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Use O...

Importing 25MB SCO/d3 Print Hold File into Windows XP PC Text File
What is the simplest and safest way to do this: 1) Accuterm 2) Attach Windows XP PC to UNIX Network and Import d3 Print File (is this possible?) 3) Save d3 Hold File to CD, dds Tape, or Memory Stick and Load onto XP PC (media must be compatible with both OS's) I would appreciate any advise. Rob SaMBA Robert S. Lobel wrote: > What is the simplest and safest way to do this: > > 1) Accuterm > 2) Attach Windows XP PC to UNIX Network and Import d3 Print File (is this > possible?) Use Accuterm 2k2 it can handle > 25 MB, Just FT the file. > 3)...

Help!
I am staying at a friend's house (in her absence) who has a HP LaserJet P1006 printer. I have downloaded a pdf multipage form from a government web site and must print it out. I downloaded the most recent P1006 driver I could find from the HP site and installed it. My problem is that no matter what I try, it comes out as a giant lettered partial print. Her laser cartridge is almost empty, and I cannot experiment much anymore. Of course I am testing the print out on only the first page of the doc. I have the file opened in Preview. (I did download Acrobat Reader 7.1.0 but got no bett...

Two-up printing of pdf files?
I have a .pdf file with landscape-format slides that I'd like to print as handouts, 2 per page, over/under. Can someone point me to a way to do this? -- Dave Brown Austin, TX Dave; You need 2-up printing in your print driver. Doug "Dave Brown" <dhbrown@hobbes.dhbrown.net> wrote in message news:slrnbq609l.8sc.dhbrown@hobbes.dhbrown.net... > I have a .pdf file with landscape-format slides that I'd like to > print as handouts, 2 per page, over/under. Can someone point me to a > way to do this? > > > -- > Dave Brown Austin, TX In article...

Quality of pdf file for print
Dear all, I am trying to get my master thesis printed as a book. It is to be bound in leather and therefore a printing block is to be produced to typeset the text on the cover. I have been informed that the pdf I have made for that is not of sufficient quality; some of the letters are included as bitmap pictures and not as text/vectors. Could anyone please tell me how to remedy this problem? (Please spell it out in detail =96 I do not know anything about this technical aspect of TeXing). The code is as follows: \documentclass[a5paper]{memoir} \settypeblocksize{165mm}{112mm}...

Viewing pdf files in Access
I have a form with a pdf.ocx control. I can set the pdf.src to view a pdf file and everything is fine. When I then select another file to view I get an error saying Automation error The object invoked has disconnected from its clients. I can close the form, open it again, select a pdf file and view it but I cannot get it to then show another file until I close and open the form again. Has anyone used the pdf.ocx and is there a work round? Alex ...