How to: split 1 pdf file to 2 pdf files?

I have a problem with a file that I retrieve off
www.catholic-forum.com/bulletins/511.pdf . Once
each month they create the 511.pdf file with
an attached Parish Calendar page. The Parish
Bulletin page is in 'Portrait' sizing while the attached
Parish Calendar page is in 'Landscape'.  I try to
retrieve this one file and using Frontpage on my
PC attempt to publish the pdf file to my online web.
I do NOT want the online web User to have to
scroll to the left to see the Bulletin or the Calendar.

I have Acrobat Reader 7.0 on my PC and would
like to save the www.catholic-forum.com/bulletins/511.pdf
on my PC and then generate 2 pdf files:
    * one for the Bulletin in full 'portrait' size, so that the font
       size print is readable.
    * one for the Calendar with the 'portrait' size page width.
       Even if the font size is too small to read, I could print
       it and retype to generate a Calendar that is readable.
Is there any way to do this with the Acrobat Reader?

Please forgive my ignorance. Any help or suggestions would
be appreciated.
0
Trish (1)

Trish@nym.alias.net wrote:
> I have Acrobat Reader 7.0 on my PC and would
> like to save the www.catholic-forum.com/bulletins/511.pdf
> on my PC and then generate 2 pdf files:
>     * one for the Bulletin in full 'portrait' size, so that the font
>        size print is readable.
>     * one for the Calendar with the 'portrait' size page width.
>        Even if the font size is too small to read, I could print
>        it and retype to generate a Calendar that is readable.
> Is there any way to do this with the Acrobat Reader?

Not with Acrobat Reader.
You can do this with the iText Toolbox.
http://www.lowagie.com/iText/itext.jnlp

Tools->Manipulate->Split,
then enter the arguments:
srcfile: 511.pdf
destfile1: 511_1.pdf
destfile2: 511_2.pdf
pagenumber: 5

I did this for you to test and
I will send files 511_1.pdf and 511_2.pdf
to your personal email address.

Try it out so you can do it yourself next time.
br,
Bruno
0
bruno
9/29/2005 7:56:50 AM
On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 09:56:50 +0200, bruno <bruno.lowagie@ugent.be>
wrote:

>Trish@nym.alias.net wrote:
>> I have Acrobat Reader 7.0 on my PC and would
>> like to save the www.catholic-forum.com/bulletins/511.pdf
>> on my PC and then generate 2 pdf files:
>>     * one for the Bulletin in full 'portrait' size, so that the font
>>        size print is readable.
>>     * one for the Calendar with the 'portrait' size page width.
>>        Even if the font size is too small to read, I could print
>>        it and retype to generate a Calendar that is readable.
>> Is there any way to do this with the Acrobat Reader?
>
>Not with Acrobat Reader.
>You can do this with the iText Toolbox.
>http://www.lowagie.com/iText/itext.jnlp
>
>Tools->Manipulate->Split,
>then enter the arguments:
>srcfile: 511.pdf
>destfile1: 511_1.pdf
>destfile2: 511_2.pdf
>pagenumber: 5
>
>I did this for you to test and
>I will send files 511_1.pdf and 511_2.pdf
>to your personal email address.
>
>Try it out so you can do it yourself next time.
>br,
>Bruno
Thanks, Bruno:
    I have no way to repay you for taking the time to
do this... a Thank you is inadequate but it is sincere.
I will follow your suggestions and try to do this on my
own.
    It's not too hard to find my real email address. The
one I'm using here is munged just to stop the odd
people who ship virii and trojans to strangers and think
its fun.  My real email address isn't hard to find, but if
you need me to ship it I don't know how to do this.  I
am not very well versed in how to  use newsgroups safely.
    I apologize if this has caused any additional work,
and thank you again for taking the time to help me.
0
Trish
9/29/2005 5:20:40 PM
On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 17:20:40 GMT, Trish@nym.alias.net wrote:

>On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 09:56:50 +0200, bruno <bruno.lowagie@ugent.be>
>wrote:
>
>>Trish@nym.alias.net wrote:
>>> I have Acrobat Reader 7.0 on my PC and would
>>> like to save the www.catholic-forum.com/bulletins/511.pdf
>>> on my PC and then generate 2 pdf files:
>>>     * one for the Bulletin in full 'portrait' size, so that the font
>>>        size print is readable.
>>>     * one for the Calendar with the 'portrait' size page width.
>>>        Even if the font size is too small to read, I could print
>>>        it and retype to generate a Calendar that is readable.
>>> Is there any way to do this with the Acrobat Reader?
>>
>>Not with Acrobat Reader.
>>You can do this with the iText Toolbox.
>>http://www.lowagie.com/iText/itext.jnlp
>>
>>Tools->Manipulate->Split,
>>then enter the arguments:
>>srcfile: 511.pdf
>>destfile1: 511_1.pdf
>>destfile2: 511_2.pdf
>>pagenumber: 5
>>
>>I did this for you to test and
>>I will send files 511_1.pdf and 511_2.pdf
>>to your personal email address.
>>
>>Try it out so you can do it yourself next time.
>>br,
>>Bruno
>Thanks, Bruno:
>   deleting prior response for brevity...
I went ahead and downloaded the .jnlp file. I didn't
have any program associated with this file type.
Searched the internet and found this was JAVA.  I
don't have JAVA on my PC, so I couldn't open or
install the file. I went to lowagie.com and tried to
read about itext.  This stuff is interesting but I'm
sure I can't learn it to implement this pdf file this
month, or even by next month. This is going to
take some study time and time to find out where
or what to start reading isn't available right now.
    Thank you, Bruno, for trying to help me. I
think I'm way below your level but I do appreciate
your effort.
0
Trish

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 12:29:19 GMT
Trish@nym.alias.net wrote:

> >>You can do this with the iText Toolbox.
> >>http://www.lowagie.com/iText/itext.jnlp
> [...]
> I went ahead and downloaded the .jnlp file. I didn't
> have any program associated with this file type.
> Searched the internet and found this was JAVA.  I
> don't have JAVA on my PC, so I couldn't open or
> install the file. I went to lowagie.com and tried to
> read about itext.  This stuff is interesting but I'm
> sure I can't learn it to implement this pdf file this
> month, or even by next month. This is going to
> take some study time and time to find out where
> or what to start reading isn't available right now.

while this might be true for learning iText, Bruno's
Java-WebStart-Application is a whole different matter. It is in fact a
small GUI based utility making itself use of the iText programming
library. But you would use it from a pure user perspective. All you
need to do is install Java - it's free (as in beer). The "iText
Toolbox" is not the iText library, but a user friendly frontend
offering a bunch of PDF creation and manipulation tasks.

-hwh
0
Hans
10/1/2005 9:32:28 AM
On Sat, 1 Oct 2005 11:32:28 +0200, Hans-Werner Hilse
<hw.hilse@stud.ugoe.de> wrote:

>Hi,

>> [...]
>> I went ahead and downloaded the .jnlp file. I didn't
>> have any program associated with this file type.
>> Searched the internet and found this was JAVA.  I
>> don't have JAVA on my PC, so I couldn't open or
>> install the file. I went to lowagie.com and tried to
>> read about itext.  This stuff is interesting but I'm
>> sure I can't learn it to implement this pdf file this
>> month, or even by next month. This is going to
>> take some study time and time to find out where
>> or what to start reading isn't available right now.
>
>while this might be true for learning iText, Bruno's
>Java-WebStart-Application is a whole different matter. It is in fact a
>small GUI based utility making itself use of the iText programming
>library. But you would use it from a pure user perspective. All you
>need to do is install Java - it's free (as in beer). The "iText
>Toolbox" is not the iText library, but a user friendly frontend
>offering a bunch of PDF creation and manipulation tasks.
>
>-hwh
I will look out on the internet to see where I can find the
free JAVA. I thank both you and Bruno for taking the time to
respond. This might not work for the September pdf but it
sounds like a solution to the ongoing problem, plus perhaps
other problems that I haven't run into yet <big smile>.
0
Trish
10/1/2005 2:28:36 PM
Trish@nym.alias.net wrote:

> I will look out on the internet to see where I can find the
> free JAVA. I thank both you and Bruno for taking the time to
> respond. This might not work for the September pdf but it
> sounds like a solution to the ongoing problem, plus perhaps
> other problems that I haven't run into yet <big smile>.

I had no problem splitting the PDF, but I wasn't on Usenet
for a week, so I didn't see your question. I'll do a second
try to send you the files.
br,
Bruno
0
bruno
10/4/2005 7:10:12 AM
bruno wrote:
> Trish@nym.alias.net wrote:
>
>> I will look out on the internet to see where I can find the free JAVA.
>> I thank both you and Bruno for taking the time to
>> respond. This might not work for the September pdf but it
>> sounds like a solution to the ongoing problem, plus perhaps
>> other problems that I haven't run into yet <big smile>.
>
> I'll do a second
> try to send you the files.

The mail bounced (again).
Seems like I wasn't able to guess your real address.
br,
Bruno
0
bruno
10/4/2005 8:23:27 AM
On Tue, 04 Oct 2005 10:23:27 +0200, bruno <bruno.lowagie@ugent.be>
wrote:

>bruno wrote:
>> Trish@nym.alias.net wrote:
>>
>>> I will look out on the internet to see where I can find the free JAVA.
>>> I thank both you and Bruno for taking the time to
>>> respond. This might not work for the September pdf but it
>>> sounds like a solution to the ongoing problem, plus perhaps
>>> other problems that I haven't run into yet <big smile>.
>>
>> I'll do a second
>> try to send you the files.
>
>The mail bounced (again).
>Seems like I wasn't able to guess your real address.
>br,
>Bruno

I am awfully sorry. The last time I posted with my
real email address in a newsgroup, I got shipped
really bad stuff that my virus checker (Norton) didn't
catch. I finally changed my real email address after
rebuilding my PC twice.
How do you people who know what you are doing
manage to get each other's real address, safely?
I know many of you do use addresses that I could
respond to but the newsgroup people usually say
they won't respond to unknown personal email.
I really don't know how to contact you that would
be acceptable to you?
0
Trish
10/4/2005 10:42:16 AM
Trish@nym.alias.net wrote:

> How do you people who know what you are doing
> manage to get each other's real address, safely?

This is rather off topic.
The best way to discuss iText related topics
is through the iText mailing list.
itext-questions@lists.sourceforge.net
br,
Bruno