links in MS Word to PDF don't work with PDF Writer

I have read from several sources that PDF Writer is capable of taking a MS Word document
containing hyperlinks and converts it into a PDF with links activated.  I'm using MS Word
2000 and the PDF Writer that comes on the Adobe 5.05 Acrobat CD.

When I create the document in word, I can verify that the link actually works by taking me
to the desired web page.  I generate the PDF file by printing to the PDFWriter printer and
get a PDF file.  When I view the PDF file is a web browser that has the Acrobat Reader
plug-in installed, the links appear in blue underline but when I click the link, nothing
happens and the hand does not change into a pointer.

What am I missing?  Have I been mislead by my sources stating that PDF Writer has this
functionality?

-paul mcferrin

"@ y a h o o . c o m . D E L E T E" <""p _ e _ m c f e r r i n \"@ y a h
o o . c o m . D E L E T E"> wrote in

> What am I missing?  Have I been mislead by my sources stating that PDF
> Writer has this functionality?

Yes, you have been mislead.

--
Matti Vuori, <http://sivut.koti.soon.fi/mvuori/index-e.htm>

0
Matti
7/16/2004 6:27:08 AM
In article <e5KJc.99907$OB3.20784@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
"@ y a h o o . c o m . D E L E T E" <""p _ e _ m c f e r r i n \"@ y a h
o o . c o m . D E L E T E"> says...

> What am I missing?  Have I been mislead by my sources stating that PDF Writer has this
> functionality?

I'm afraid so, PDF Writer can't do that. Acrobat on the other hand can,
presumably if you have a copy of PDF Writer you also have the full
version of Acrobat?

Alternatively there are a number of other PDF creation utilities around
which will do this, check www.pdfzone.com for a decent list.

0
Ken
7/16/2004 7:11:17 AM

Ken Sharp wrote:

> In article <e5KJc.99907$OB3.20784@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
> "@ y a h o o . c o m . D E L E T E" <""p _ e _ m c f e r r i n \"@ y a h
> o o . c o m . D E L E T E"> says...
>

>>What am I missing?  Have I been mislead by my sources stating that PDF Writer has this
>>functionality?
>

> I'm afraid so, PDF Writer can't do that. Acrobat on the other hand can,
> presumably if you have a copy of PDF Writer you also have the full
> version of Acrobat?

Yes, I have the Acrobat 5.05 CD.  Then do I already have the tools to do this?  I can't use
a tool that is going to require manually re-typing all of those links.  There are many links
in the document and some of them are over 260 characters in length.  In the mean time, I'll
take a look at pdfzone.com

> Alternatively there are a number of other PDF creation utilities around
> which will do this, check www.pdfzone.com for a decent list.

why not using the Word-Addin PDFMaker that comes with the Acrobat 5.05 CD?
With this Addin you can convert all of the typical references
The PDFWriter is only a simple PDF converter without converting any
references inside a document

--
regards Christian
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"@ y a h o o . c o m . D E L E T E" <""p _ e _ m c f e r r i n \"@ y a h
o o . c o m . D E L E T E"> says...

> > I'm afraid so, PDF Writer can't do that. Acrobat on the other hand can,
> > presumably if you have a copy of PDF Writer you also have the full
> > version of Acrobat?
>
> Yes, I have the Acrobat 5.05 CD.  Then do I already have the tools to do this?

You should have, when installed it should have installed a button and
menu item into Word, use that.

0
Ken
7/16/2004 1:33:47 PM

Ken Sharp wrote:

> In article <_QLJc.100172$OB3.21534@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
> "@ y a h o o . c o m . D E L E T E" <""p _ e _ m c f e r r i n \"@ y a h
> o o . c o m . D E L E T E"> says...
>

>>>I'm afraid so, PDF Writer can't do that. Acrobat on the other hand can,
>>>presumably if you have a copy of PDF Writer you also have the full
>>>version of Acrobat?
>>
>>Yes, I have the Acrobat 5.05 CD.  Then do I already have the tools to do this?
>

> You should have, when installed it should have installed a button and
> menu item into Word, use that.

That's the "secret" I was looking for.  Use the "button".  Apparently just printing to the
PDFMaker printer does not convert the links but using the button does.  You've made my day
and several other persons happy.

Thanks
-paul

PDF PDF PDF
For anyone struggling to figure out how to create a PDF in SWX it's pretty simple but you may have to have the Bluebeam version of swx FIRST go to Tools>Options and check "Save as PDF" Then you can save them right from the save as dialog. Maybe I'm the only dumbass that could't figure that out! ;0) But it was in help under "PDF" An easier way is to download a program from www.pdf995.com that "prints" you files to a PDF foramat. This program works with SW and any other program you use to print with. "3d" <jmiller at marvelindustri...

Postscript to PDF with pdf-tools, pdf-writer, or other
Does anyone have a way to convert Postscript to PDF using pdf-tools, pdf-writer, or other method? Any suggestions? On 14/04/2008, Sean Nakasone <seannakasone@yahoo.com> wrote: > Does anyone have a way to convert Postscript to PDF using pdf-tools, > pdf-writer, or other method? Any suggestions? ps2pdf is standard on any install of Ghostscript, at least on most flavours of Linux/BSD Farrel ...

PDF TO PDF/A
Hello, is it possible to convert a PDF file to PDFA file ? i tried the -dPDFA option and i vefy my pdf file with PDF longlife. I have an error. Thanks for help. ...

PDF::Writer, create pdf and insert in other pdf file.
Hi folks(wharever it mean my english is so bad...) the following code create a PDF: #!/usr/bin/ruby require 'pdf/writer' pdf = PDF::Writer.new pdf.text "Hello Matz", :font_size => 22 pdf.save_as "novo.pdf" ######################################## now I wanna save this pdf as a last page of a existing pdf. any tips? -- Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/. On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 1:23 PM, Ricardo Pog <ricardo85x@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi folks(wharever it mean my english is so bad...) > > > the following code create a PDF: > >...

[SOT] Well, we don't have that non-.pdf PDF IE bug anymore
A little experiment with IE7 and a servlet. Basically, I generated a small PDF file and served it with name 'hello.dummy', content type 'application/pdf', through a simple custom servlet which just takes a file, determines what content-type to use (with .dummy deliberately associated with 'application/pdf'), and then dumps it out to whoever wants it. It worked. Of course Mozilla had no problem handling it either, so now Microsoft has apparently caught up with Mozilla. Congratulations! :-) -- #191, ewill3@earthlink.net Q: "Why is my computer doing that?" ...

Weird problem with ODS PDF
Hi All, I've got a weird problem, which might be SAS 9.2 (windows) only. I output a PDF file (using ODS PDF), then I search in the PDF using find, in either acrobat reader or a 3rd party reader. But I don't find what I'm looking for. Specifically, if I search for "Q" (without speech marks) I find lower case d. If I search for "1" I find lower case a. And if I search for "Q1" I don't find anything (even though there are lots of Q1s in the PDF file). Has anyone else come across this? Is there a solution? It's difficult to search the suppo...

pdf \ text (get rid of text in pdf)

Bookmarks Don't Work in gnus.pdf
Lars, have you noticed this? Also, some of the links in the document proper don't work. For example, the page numbers in the index at the end. This is true for Adobe 6 at home on a PC (Win2k) and Adobe 5 at work on Solaris, so I don't think it's the reader. -- % Randy Yates % "...the answer lies within your soul %% Fuquay-Varina, NC % 'cause no one knows which side %%% 919-577-9882 % the coin will fall." %%%% <yates@ieee.org> % 'Big Wheels', *Out of the Blue*, ELO ht...

hyperref bookmarks don't work on pdf viewer/reader
Hi On the .tex file (class report or article) the following is declared \usepackage[bookmarks=true, bookmarksnumbered=true]{hyperref} \hypersetup{ pdftitle={Title} pdfauthor={Me} } Later {dvipdf} or {dvips -Ppdf, ps2pdf} is used to create the pdf file On the viewer/reader (Acrobat) it is not possible to go to the chapter or section while clicking on the bookmarks. Using xdvi for the dvi file bookmarks work without problems, if clicking to the bookmark the chapter is show with a fancy arrow. Is it possible to click the bookmarks to go to a chapter or section on the pdf How can the problem...

ANN: Fly Text to PDF

PDF TO PDF MULTIPAGES
Hello, (gs 8.54 -Windows XP) i try this to convert a pdf file to one pdf file per page: gs.exe -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -o c:\fic-%d.pdf -q c:\colle.pdf It doesn't work. Is works with jpeg files: gs.exe -sDEVICE=jpeg -o c:\fic-%d.jpg -q c:\colle.pdf Thanks for Help. Christophe BADET Christophe BADET wrote: > Hello, > > (gs 8.54 -Windows XP) > i try this to convert a pdf file to one pdf file per page: > > gs.exe -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -o c:\fic-%d.pdf -q c:\colle.pdf > It doesn't work. > Is works with jpeg files: > gs.exe -sDEVICE=jpeg -o c:\fic-%d.jpg -q c:\colle....

Re: Weird problem with ODS PDF
Problem Note 32003: Text searches return different results in PDF files created by ODS PDF http://support.sas.com/kb/32/003.html The Details section for the note clarifies that "different" means "not correct". ;-) Fortunately, a hot fix is available. Search strategy -- I searched in Samples and SAS Notes for the words ODS, PDF, and search. HTH! Mike Rhoads RhoadsM1@Westat.com -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Jeremy Miles Sent: Friday, February 19, 2010 1:02 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Weird p...

Embedding PDF into PDF ?
I have read from websearching that it is possible to embed a smaller PDF into a main PDF, but cannot find out how this is done. Would I have to open the PDF as a text file and have my program locate a certain PDF command, then literally just stream the raw smaller PDF into it ? Any links or info would be very much aprpeciated Thanks Paul On Wed, 14 Jul 2004, Paul Champan wrote: > I have read from websearching that it is possible to embed a smaller PDF > into a main PDF, but cannot find out how this is done. Do you want to merge 2 pdf files or "place" pdf files into a ...

Copy from a PDF to PDF
Is it possible to copy a piece of text from a page (not the whole page) from a PDF file and paste it into another PDF file in a desired position? Thanks in article YT2Fb.22892$vi2.19893@twister.auna.com, jesusp at jesusp@arrakis.es wrote on 12/20/03 1:09 PM: > Is it possible to copy a piece of text from a page (not the whole page) from > a PDF file and paste it into another PDF file in a desired position? - Yep - copy and paste. You may have to crop it first to get just what you want. And it may not paste into position - you need to move it around. - I suppose it depends on which ap...

Web resources about - links in MS Word to PDF don't work with PDF Writer - comp.text.pdf