lucida sans unicode in bold is disturbed when creating pdf

Hello,

I have a pagemaker 6.5 document. When I create a postscript file via
the print function with "Acrobat Distiller (1.0.6)" as printer and
"Acrobat Distiller 3011.104" as PPD, and then convert the postscript
with Distiller, I have problems with bold font set in "Lucida Sans
Unicode". Characters set in this font seemed to be printed twice and
overlayed, once plain and once bold. If I magnify the PDF document I
can see this effect for certain characters. Horizontal or vertical
lines are mostly ok, but curves, especially the ends of curves, show
very explicitly that there is the plain character and the bold
character printed over each other.
I tried using another printer with the same PPD. I tried another PPD
"Acrobat Distiller 2017.801". My machine is Windows 2000, I tried
printing with Windows 98 as well. But nothing changes the effect.
When I set the font to plain, or when I use another font, but leave it
bold, everything works out ok.
Does anybody know how this could be corrected?

Regards,

Christian Kirchhoff
0
ckirchho

ckirchho@directmedia.de (Christian Kirchhoff) wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I have a pagemaker 6.5 document. When I create a postscript file via
>the print function with "Acrobat Distiller (1.0.6)" as printer and
>"Acrobat Distiller 3011.104" as PPD, and then convert the postscript
>with Distiller, I have problems with bold font set in "Lucida Sans
>Unicode". Characters set in this font seemed to be printed twice and
>overlayed, once plain and once bold.

Do you have the font Lucida Sans Unicode Bold installed, as well as
Lucida Sans Unicode?
Aandi Inston  quite@dial.pipex.com http://www.quite.com

quite
7/9/2003 3:26:50 PM
ckirchho@directmedia.de (Christian Kirchhoff) wrote:

> I have problems with bold font set in "Lucida Sans
> Unicode". Characters set in this font seemed to be printed twice and
> overlayed, once plain and once bold.

AFAIK, the typeface Lucida Sans Unicode consists of only one font/style.
There is no bold and no italic version.

--
http://www.unics.uni-hannover.de/nhtcapri/plonk.txt
0
Andreas Prilop <nhtcapri@rrzn-user.uni-hannover.de> wrote:

>ckirchho@directmedia.de (Christian Kirchhoff) wrote:
>
>> I have problems with bold font set in "Lucida Sans
>> Unicode". Characters set in this font seemed to be printed twice and
>> overlayed, once plain and once bold.
>
>AFAIK, the typeface Lucida Sans Unicode consists of only one font/style.
>There is no bold and no italic version.

In that case, one should NEVER bold or italicise it, or it will
produce unsatisfactory results, especially in PDF.
Aandi Inston  quite@dial.pipex.com http://www.quite.com

quite
7/10/2003 7:51:43 AM
Thanks for all the comments. It is true that I do not have the bold
type of Lucida Sans Unicode installed, and I do not think that such a
type exists.
Other applications (including Adobe Photoshop and Illstrator) simply
forbid to use a bold style when the proper font is not installed.
But pagemaker seems to manage the "boldification" itself when the
proper font does not reside on the computer. Thus I can set text set
in Lucide Sans unicode to bold in Pagemaker. And on my former
computer, which was Windows NT, probably with an older PS driver
installed, everything work very well. I do have older PDFs, created on
that older computer, in which the bold texts look ok.
I wonder if there is any way to get the same results under Windows
2000 with the newer PS driver...

Regards,

Christian Kirchhoff

Andreas Prilop <nhtcapri@rrzn-user.uni-hannover.de> wrote in message news:<090720032251539882%nhtcapri@rrzn-user.uni-hannover.de>...
> ckirchho@directmedia.de (Christian Kirchhoff) wrote:
>
> > I have problems with bold font set in "Lucida Sans
> > Unicode". Characters set in this font seemed to be printed twice and
> > overlayed, once plain and once bold.
>
> AFAIK, the typeface Lucida Sans Unicode consists of only one font/style.
> There is no bold and no italic version.
0
ckirchho
7/10/2003 9:31:48 AM
ckirchho@directmedia.de (Christian Kirchhoff) wrote:

>Thanks for all the comments. It is true that I do not have the bold
>type of Lucida Sans Unicode installed, and I do not think that such a
>type exists.
>Other applications (including Adobe Photoshop and Illstrator) simply
>forbid to use a bold style when the proper font is not installed.
>But pagemaker seems to manage the "boldification" itself when the
>proper font does not reside on the computer.

That is true; many programs will create fake bold, but it is a bad
idea - why more recent Adobe programs and some others do forbid it.

The only way to get bold from a non-bold font is to fake it. There are
various techniques, such as drawing a line round each character, or
double printing. These look OK when printed, but the quality on screen
is very questionable. Different PS drivers use different techniques to
fake bold; you cannot control how.