Missing characters in PDF

Recently, I've been getting missing characters in creating PDFs on accented
characters, but not on all fonts.  There are spaces for the characters, but
some of them are missing, no rhyme or reason and only on certain fonts.

This happens when making a PDF from MS Word on either Acrobat Distiller or
PDF Writer.  I read about a fix involving 100% embedding, unchecked that,
did nothing.  I have job options set to "press".  This is really baffling
and has me stumped.  Anybody know what might be the cause and have any
solutions, workarounds?  Currently using Acrobat 5.  Has anybody else had
the problem and might PDF995 work better or something else?  I think it's
something wrong with the font, but I can't put my finger on it.  Have posted
the problem to the Acrobat groups, gotten no response.

Acrobat 5
Windows 98
Word 2000

Thanks in advance,
Larry

0
Larry

Hi Larry

Try this free demo of PDF-XChange V3.

http://www.docu-track.com/index.php?page=28&dwld=PDFX3Beta.zip

--
Best Regards

John Verbeeten
Tracker Software Products
PDF-XChange & SDK, Image-XChange SDK,
PDF-Tools & SDK, TIFF-XChange & SDK, DocuTrack.
Email : johnV@docu-track.com
www.docu-track.com
User Updates (serial # required)
http://www.docu-track.com/download.php
Trials:
http://www.docu-track.com/index.php?page=28
Pricing:
http://www.docu-track.com/index.php?page=30
"Larry G" <thelarry_g3@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Recently, I've been getting missing characters in creating PDFs on
accented
> characters, but not on all fonts.  There are spaces for the characters,
but
> some of them are missing, no rhyme or reason and only on certain fonts.
>
> This happens when making a PDF from MS Word on either Acrobat Distiller or
> PDF Writer.  I read about a fix involving 100% embedding, unchecked that,
> did nothing.  I have job options set to "press".  This is really baffling
> and has me stumped.  Anybody know what might be the cause and have any
> solutions, workarounds?  Currently using Acrobat 5.  Has anybody else had
> the problem and might PDF995 work better or something else?  I think it's
> something wrong with the font, but I can't put my finger on it.  Have
posted
> the problem to the Acrobat groups, gotten no response.
>
> Acrobat 5
> Windows 98
> Word 2000
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Larry

0
John
10/22/2003 10:42:34 AM
Try NOT embedding the font. Then open it on a machine that does not have
that font. Acrobat will use font substitution. If that's OK, its a problem
with that particular font (probably Code page/font encoding)

If the problem occurs even with font substitution, then the problem was
created when the pdf was created.

BTW, are you crossing from Windows - Mac or the other way around. That can
cause font encoding problems.

"Larry G" <thelarry_g3@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Recently, I've been getting missing characters in creating PDFs on
accented
> characters, but not on all fonts.  There are spaces for the characters,
but
> some of them are missing, no rhyme or reason and only on certain fonts.
>
> This happens when making a PDF from MS Word on either Acrobat Distiller or
> PDF Writer.  I read about a fix involving 100% embedding, unchecked that,
> did nothing.  I have job options set to "press".  This is really baffling
> and has me stumped.  Anybody know what might be the cause and have any
> solutions, workarounds?  Currently using Acrobat 5.  Has anybody else had
> the problem and might PDF995 work better or something else?  I think it's
> something wrong with the font, but I can't put my finger on it.  Have
posted
> the problem to the Acrobat groups, gotten no response.
>
> Acrobat 5
> Windows 98
> Word 2000
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Larry

0
Dan
10/23/2003 10:26:21 PM
"Dan Sideen" <dansideen@rogers.com> wrote in message ...
> Try NOT embedding the font. Then open it on a machine that does not have
> that font. Acrobat will use font substitution. If that's OK, its a problem
> with that particular font (probably Code page/font encoding)
>
> If the problem occurs even with font substitution, then the problem was
> created when the pdf was created.
>
> BTW, are you crossing from Windows - Mac or the other way around. That can
> cause font encoding problems.

Thanks for the info, guys.  :)  I decided to see if it changed by
downloading the latest Acrobat Reader v6.0, and it displayed perfectly.
Weird.

Larry

0
Larry