Missing characters in PDF

Recently, I've been getting missing characters in creating PDFs on accented
characters, but not on all fonts.  There are spaces for the characters, but
some of them are missing, no rhyme or reason and only on certain fonts.

This happens when making a PDF from MS Word on either Acrobat Distiller or
PDF Writer.  I read about a fix involving 100% embedding, unchecked that,
did nothing.  I have job options set to "press".  This is really baffling
and has me stumped.  Anybody know what might be the cause and have any
solutions, workarounds?  Currently using Acrobat 5.  Has anybody else had
the problem and might PDF995 work better or something else?  I think it's
something wrong with the font, but I can't put my finger on it.  Have posted
the problem to the Acrobat groups, gotten no response.

Acrobat 5
Windows 98
Word 2000

Thanks in advance,
Larry

0
Larry
10/21/2003 7:55:13 PM
comp.text.pdf 5581 articles. 36 followers. ramon (1518) is leader. Post Follow

Hi Larry

Try this free demo of PDF-XChange V3.

http://www.docu-track.com/index.php?page=28&dwld=PDFX3Beta.zip

--
Best Regards

John Verbeeten
Tracker Software Products
PDF-XChange & SDK, Image-XChange SDK,
PDF-Tools & SDK, TIFF-XChange & SDK, DocuTrack.
Email : johnV@docu-track.com
www.docu-track.com
User Updates (serial # required)
http://www.docu-track.com/download.php
Trials:
http://www.docu-track.com/index.php?page=28
Pricing:
http://www.docu-track.com/index.php?page=30
"Larry G" <thelarry_g3@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Recently, I've been getting missing characters in creating PDFs on
accented
> characters, but not on all fonts.  There are spaces for the characters,
but
> some of them are missing, no rhyme or reason and only on certain fonts.
>
> This happens when making a PDF from MS Word on either Acrobat Distiller or
> PDF Writer.  I read about a fix involving 100% embedding, unchecked that,
> did nothing.  I have job options set to "press".  This is really baffling
> and has me stumped.  Anybody know what might be the cause and have any
> solutions, workarounds?  Currently using Acrobat 5.  Has anybody else had
> the problem and might PDF995 work better or something else?  I think it's
> something wrong with the font, but I can't put my finger on it.  Have
posted
> the problem to the Acrobat groups, gotten no response.
>
> Acrobat 5
> Windows 98
> Word 2000
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Larry

0
John
10/22/2003 10:42:34 AM
Try NOT embedding the font. Then open it on a machine that does not have
that font. Acrobat will use font substitution. If that's OK, its a problem
with that particular font (probably Code page/font encoding)

If the problem occurs even with font substitution, then the problem was
created when the pdf was created.

BTW, are you crossing from Windows - Mac or the other way around. That can
cause font encoding problems.

"Larry G" <thelarry_g3@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Recently, I've been getting missing characters in creating PDFs on
accented
> characters, but not on all fonts.  There are spaces for the characters,
but
> some of them are missing, no rhyme or reason and only on certain fonts.
>
> This happens when making a PDF from MS Word on either Acrobat Distiller or
> PDF Writer.  I read about a fix involving 100% embedding, unchecked that,
> did nothing.  I have job options set to "press".  This is really baffling
> and has me stumped.  Anybody know what might be the cause and have any
> solutions, workarounds?  Currently using Acrobat 5.  Has anybody else had
> the problem and might PDF995 work better or something else?  I think it's
> something wrong with the font, but I can't put my finger on it.  Have
posted
> the problem to the Acrobat groups, gotten no response.
>
> Acrobat 5
> Windows 98
> Word 2000
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Larry

0
Dan
10/23/2003 10:26:21 PM
"Dan Sideen" <dansideen@rogers.com> wrote in message ...
> Try NOT embedding the font. Then open it on a machine that does not have
> that font. Acrobat will use font substitution. If that's OK, its a problem
> with that particular font (probably Code page/font encoding)
>
> If the problem occurs even with font substitution, then the problem was
> created when the pdf was created.
>
> BTW, are you crossing from Windows - Mac or the other way around. That can
> cause font encoding problems.

Thanks for the info, guys.  :)  I decided to see if it changed by
downloading the latest Acrobat Reader v6.0, and it displayed perfectly.
Weird.

Larry

0
Larry

WebVPN missing on Cisco PIX 515 7.1.2?
I'm running Cisco PIX 515 7.1.2 software, but i cannot enable web vpn, what is wrong? thank in advance, Antonio Cisco PIX Security Appliance Software Version 7.1(2) Device Manager Version 5.1(2) Compiled on Tue 14-Mar-06 17:00 by dalecki System image file is "flash:/image.bin" Config file at boot was "startup-config" 01-gw up 11 days 6 hours Hardware: PIX-515E, 128 MB RAM, CPU Pentium II 433 MHz Flash E28F128J3 @ 0xfff00000, 16MB BIOS Flash AM29F400B @ 0xfffd8000, 32KB Encryption hardware device : VAC+ (Crypto5823 revision 0x1) 0: Ext: Ethernet0 : add...

ODS PDF insert logo with style option
I'm trying to insert a logo, followed by some company information onto the 1st and 2nd title lines in a report. I have a standard macro that I call to set up the titles: ods escapechar='!'; %macro hfLand_ODS; title1 j=l height=10pt font="Lucida Sans Unicode, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" '!S= {preimage="\\Atlas\shares\Biometrics\Globals\sunesis_swirl.jpg"} Sunesis Pharmaceuticals, Inc'; title2 height=10pt font="Lucida Sans Unicode, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" j=l 'Protocol: SNS-595/SPO-0004' j=r '!{thispage} of !{lastpage}&#...

missing header creating XML doc from XMLDOM
Can anyone help me with this problem. I'm using Oracle 9i and SQL Developer 1.0.0.15.27. Here is some test code. CREATE OR REPLACE PROCEDURE TEST AS doc xmldom.DOMDocument; main_node xmldom.DOMNode; root_node xmldom.DOMNode; root_elmt xmldom.DOMElement; root_text xmldom.DOMText; root_name xmldom.DOMNode; v_cResult CLOB; BEGIN doc := xmldom.newDOMDocument; xmldom.setversion(doc, '1.0'); xmldom.setCharset(doc,'UTF-8'); main_node := xmldom.makeNode(doc); root_elmt := xmldom.createElement(doc, 'EMP'); root_node := xmldom.appendChild(main_n...

Missing command "edit-options"
I am using XEmacs 21.4 (patch 21) "Educational Television" [Lucid] (i586-pc- win32) of Sun Oct 07 2007 on VSHELTON-PC2 Info node "(xemacs)Edit Options" describes two commands "list-options" and "edit-options" which don't seem to exist in my XEmacs. The second of these is also mentioned in Info node "(lispref)Defining Variables" and in node "(lispref)Style Tips". They appear to have something to do with customization of variables. Alan <wehmann@fnal.gov> writes: > I am using > > XEmacs 21.4 (patch...

Deuteros
I've just finished deuteros(again), a bit drawn out in the end, but a great game. I've researched the final tech, the unknown alien item, but my research board still has one item unlit, ie. I have never been given the chance to research it. Is it the Tachyon Transmitter? Or is this just the name for the 'unknown' alien item at the end? Or is Tachyon Transmitter another name for the Mass Transceiver(MTX)? What it the Tachyon Transmitter? I have seen this mentioned in Deuteros posts. The technology I dont have is in the right-hand column on the research boar...

Re: PROC TABULATE -- missing output
Thank you Ya Huang and Yu Zhang. A misplaced colon, that should have been a semi colon, in a previous data step caused all of the class variable DEL_MTH to be missing. Rodney Rodney J. Presley, PhD Division of Hereditary Blood Disorders Work Phone: 404-718-8630 Main Number: 404-718-8600 Fax: 404-718-8650 Email: RPresley@cdc.gov -----Original Message----- From: Ya Huang [mailto:ya.huang@AMYLIN.COM] Sent: Monday, May 07, 2007 11:24 AM To: Presley, Rodney (CDC/CCHP/NCBDDD) Cc: Ya Huang Subject: Re: PROC TABULATE -- missing output Can yoou try add a missing option in the tabluate statment,...

making pdf of docs
Is there something wrong that makes it impossible to build the doc as a pdf? I started a build 4 hours ago, and it has still not finished (stuck at 100% CPU on my old 800Mhz 1G RAM machine). I know that openjade is very slow so for the first 3 hours I didn't worry. Now I'm starting to think that it will never finish. -- /Dennis Bj´┐Żrklund ---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster On Tue, 26 Oct 2004, Dennis Bjorklund wrote: > Is there something wrong that makes it impossib...

iBook Missing Sleep Software?
When I try to put my Dual USB iBook to sleep, I get the message that it can't because some software is missing, and that I should reinstall the OS that came with the computer. I can't do that because I don't have that disk, and I've upgraded to OS 9.2.2 in any case. Anyone know what could be missing? (It's not the Energy Saver CP, that's installed and functional.) ...

Digital Certificate Manager
Hi all, I added a certificate to *SYSTEM and didn't put anything in the certificate label as it wasn't a mandatory field. When I try to set it as valid for FTP or try to delete the certificate I got the message "The certificate label is missing." Is there any way of getting rid of this certificate? Thanks, Neil On Dec 12, 12:27=A0pm, Newbie_Neil <n...@village-street.co.uk> wrote: > Hi all, > > I added a certificate to *SYSTEM and didn't put anything in the > certificate label as it wasn't a mandatory field. > > When I try to set it as vali...

Leader selections missing from drawing?
Earlier today we had a power outage at my work, and after that the license server was messed up and had to be restarted. Now, I'm putting some notes into a drawing, and the only leader options it gives me are leader, no leader, auto leader, and underlined leader. I need to use the bent leader for consistency with earlier drawings I've made. Any ideas or workarounds? Have you restarted your machine since the crash? I've restarted several times, to no effect. What files would have been affected? Jeff wrote: > Have you restarted your machine since the crash? Resetting the...

XML::PARSER utf-8 and japanese characters
Folks, I am having problem writing Japanese characters. I am parsing an XML document that is in utf-8, actually it is a content.xml file from Open Office. It contains Japanese text along with english text. (english text and it's japanese translation). I want to write the the english and japanese text into individual files. Another process will read these individual files and insert the it into DB2 database which is also in utf-8. I am having problem writing japanese text to a file. I am running perl 5.8.3 on AIX 5.2. Here are the code fragments from...

Opening and saving from web site pdf file
I found a site where you can download many pdf file. In order to automatize the process i would create a vi using activex. i generate some url&nbsp; like this "http://remotesite/folder/file1.pdf" and i want the vi open the site, download the page an save the file1.pdf in a desired folder. In this forum there are many examples that&nbsp;solve only&nbsp; half of my problem, in fact they load in a browser the pdf file opening Acrobat reader but i do not know how to save the file. Thank you lelluzo I will use activex because using datasocket i have no answer from that site N...

Re: DOT is Missing for character variables?? #3 661288
kamensky@AECOM.YU.EDU wrote: >I just foond that SAS (9.1.3, XP) considers dot >as a missing value for CHARACTER variables. >Did I miss it in the documentation? >If not, is it an undocumented feature or a bug? > >DATA >TEST; > >LENGTH TEST >$1.; > >INPUT >TEST; > >CARDS; > >. > >; > >RUN; PROC PRINT DATA=TEST;RUN; >*output > The SAS System > > Obs Test > > 1 >; Well, actually you discovered that SAS has *always* made a distinction between the $w. informat and the $CHARw. informat. $CHARw. does n...

missing posts?
ok, um, am I just dreaming that I made a couple of posts yesterday? Is this group moderated and they were deleted? On 15 May, 13:50, Ben <benal...@yahoo.com> wrote: > ok, um, am I just dreaming that I made a couple of posts yesterday? Is > this group moderated and they were deleted? Have you checked c.d.o.misc? On May 15, 9:00=A0am, gazzag <gar...@jamms.org> wrote: > On 15 May, 13:50, Ben <benal...@yahoo.com> wrote: > > > ok, um, am I just dreaming that I made a couple of posts yesterday? Is > > this group moderated and they were deleted? > > ...

Replacing special characters in STRING variables
Hi there, I have an SPSS dataset imported via ODBC. This dataset contains special characters in comment fields. Namely, those comments may contain paragraph marks (known as \r\n or \n in many programming languages). Those characters keep bothering me when re-exporting the dataset to TAB-separated text files, as the destroy the "one line represents one case" principle. A know there is a COMPUTE comment = REPLACE(commment, "a", "b") command, but I do not know how to represent a paragraph mark in this syntax snippet. Regards, Andreas -- Andreas...

VB6 on French Computers
I have a VB6 application running on a French computer using Windows ME. The app doesn't work the same way as it does when running on an English Windows OS. The main issue I have, that I can't seem to overcome, is that the english text font size my program thinks is available doesn't seem to be there. Although a line of text printed on a US Windows machine looks fine, when it is printed from this French computer the tabs are over written in the line as if the font size was too big. However a reduction in the font size does not correct the problem. The text lines are dropped down ...

Re: GhostScript conversion of PDF #6
Kevin I checked one of my converted pdfs last night and it did not have the layout preserved. It looked like each field was a new line and I'm not sure what happened if a field or column in the original document was missing. In the case of my data, that did not matter. Nat -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Kevin Viel Sent: Monday, July 27, 2009 2:52 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: GhostScript conversion of PDF On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 12:28:55 -0400, Nat Wooding <Nathaniel.Wooding@DOM.COM> wrote: >I had a sit...

Missing Values #3
Dear All, I believe it was yesterday that someone raised a question about discovering records with missing values. I once was asked a similar question at an interview and muddled my way through. After the interview, I sat down at the computer and developed the following code. HTH, Jules Bosch dm 'clear out'; dm 'clear log'; dm 'clear out'; dm'clear log'; options nocenter obs=max formdlim='='; /*********************************************************************** This SAS program discovers any records with a missing value for any va...

Missing category
I am not familiar with Works....but a neighbor has a problem that I hope you can solve for me. When he launches Works, and clicks on Word to open word processing, the window that opens has a list under "Start a Word Blank document" : Bibleography Brochures ....... .......... Lawn and Garden Worksheets And in this spot should be LETTERS. He inadvertantly deleted this category. How do we get it back??? Really would appreciate some help on this. Teach........... ...

missing function
I've installed the Image Processing Toolbox, but I can't find function bwtraceboundary. I wonder what was wrong with that. Thanks. Watch out the version. Qi Jiang wrote: > > > I've installed the Image Processing Toolbox, but I can't find > function bwtraceboundary. > > I wonder what was wrong with that. > > Thanks. ...

Processing Cyrilic characters the correct way.
Hi, Recently we're started using a webshop for our customers to enter their orders. On one occasion a customer entered information containing cyrilic characters. In our xHarbour application (a console application using xHarbour.com Enterprise edition, November 2007), when I use the debugger, those variables containing the cyrilic characters, appear to have different values from what I know has been entered in the webshop. As a result of that, the data from the webshop is stored in an Sql database incorrectly. Is there some way for me to solve this problem? The thing is, c...

spotlight missing
I'm on a Mac OS X system that doesn't have Spotlight on its desktop. How can I bring it out or run it? Dandelion wrote: > I'm on a Mac OS X system that doesn't have Spotlight on its > desktop. How can I bring it out or run it? > Install Tiger (10.4.x). Spotlight didn't exist in earlier versions. On 2006-05-28 15:23:11 +0300, Dandelion <Dandelion@greenfield.com> said: > I'm on a Mac OS X system that doesn't have Spotlight on its > desktop. How can I bring it out or run it? Spotlight exists in OS X Tiger, aka 10.4 , click Apple menu and ...

Comparing characters in cocoa
How would i go about comparing two characters together that are both in a nsstring object/ I don't quite understand the characterAtIndex call. Example: string1 = "word" string 2 = "o" how would I see if the first string contains the second string? thanks Mike jensen Mike Jensen <septallica@hotmail.com> wrote: > How would i go about comparing two characters together that are both in > a nsstring object/ I don't quite understand the characterAtIndex call. > Example: > string1 = "word" > string 2 = "o" > h...

Control ods pdf text= vertical position?
Hi there, Is there a way to move the third line of text "ZZZZZZZZZZZ" down to right below the figure? If gplot part is a proc print or other non-graph output, the "ZZZZZZ" line will automatically follow. Currently I'm putting many blank lines to squeeze it down, which means I need to know how may blank rows in advance. Please no suggestion of using footnote ! Thanks Ya options orientation=portrait papersize=letter leftmargin="1in" rightmargin="1in" topmargin="1in" bottommargin="1in" nodate nonumber; ods ...

Have I missed the point?
I really, really want to use unit testing but ... I don't seem to be able to get it off the ground so to speak. Everytime I try to start unit testing it ends up being at a higher level than a pure component. To illustrate I have been implementing some usecases for a small project and I find as I implement that domain models into unit cases that the code and classes seem to proliferate and that one usecase and corresponding small number of classes I have an ever growing number of classes. I frequently find myself cannot see the wood for the trees (completing the original unit test). A comm...