Missing characters in PDF

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Recently, I've been getting missing characters in creating PDFs on accented
characters, but not on all fonts.  There are spaces for the characters, but
some of them are missing, no rhyme or reason and only on certain fonts.

This happens when making a PDF from MS Word on either Acrobat Distiller or
PDF Writer.  I read about a fix involving 100% embedding, unchecked that,
did nothing.  I have job options set to "press".  This is really baffling
and has me stumped.  Anybody know what might be the cause and have any
solutions, workarounds?  Currently using Acrobat 5.  Has anybody else had
the problem and might PDF995 work better or something else?  I think it's
something wrong with the font, but I can't put my finger on it.  Have posted
the problem to the Acrobat groups, gotten no response.

Acrobat 5
Windows 98
Word 2000

Thanks in advance,
Larry

0
Reply Larry 10/21/2003 7:55:13 PM

See related articles to this posting

Hi Larry

Try this free demo of PDF-XChange V3.

http://www.docu-track.com/index.php?page=28&dwld=PDFX3Beta.zip

--
Best Regards

John Verbeeten
Tracker Software Products
PDF-XChange & SDK, Image-XChange SDK,
PDF-Tools & SDK, TIFF-XChange & SDK, DocuTrack.
Email : johnV@docu-track.com
www.docu-track.com
User Updates (serial # required)
http://www.docu-track.com/download.php
Trials:
http://www.docu-track.com/index.php?page=28
Pricing:
http://www.docu-track.com/index.php?page=30
"Larry G" <thelarry_g3@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Recently, I've been getting missing characters in creating PDFs on
accented
> characters, but not on all fonts.  There are spaces for the characters,
but
> some of them are missing, no rhyme or reason and only on certain fonts.
>
> This happens when making a PDF from MS Word on either Acrobat Distiller or
> PDF Writer.  I read about a fix involving 100% embedding, unchecked that,
> did nothing.  I have job options set to "press".  This is really baffling
> and has me stumped.  Anybody know what might be the cause and have any
> solutions, workarounds?  Currently using Acrobat 5.  Has anybody else had
> the problem and might PDF995 work better or something else?  I think it's
> something wrong with the font, but I can't put my finger on it.  Have
posted
> the problem to the Acrobat groups, gotten no response.
>
> Acrobat 5
> Windows 98
> Word 2000
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Larry

0
Reply John 10/22/2003 10:42:34 AM

Try NOT embedding the font. Then open it on a machine that does not have
that font. Acrobat will use font substitution. If that's OK, its a problem
with that particular font (probably Code page/font encoding)

If the problem occurs even with font substitution, then the problem was
created when the pdf was created.

BTW, are you crossing from Windows - Mac or the other way around. That can
cause font encoding problems.

"Larry G" <thelarry_g3@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Recently, I've been getting missing characters in creating PDFs on
accented
> characters, but not on all fonts.  There are spaces for the characters,
but
> some of them are missing, no rhyme or reason and only on certain fonts.
>
> This happens when making a PDF from MS Word on either Acrobat Distiller or
> PDF Writer.  I read about a fix involving 100% embedding, unchecked that,
> did nothing.  I have job options set to "press".  This is really baffling
> and has me stumped.  Anybody know what might be the cause and have any
> solutions, workarounds?  Currently using Acrobat 5.  Has anybody else had
> the problem and might PDF995 work better or something else?  I think it's
> something wrong with the font, but I can't put my finger on it.  Have
posted
> the problem to the Acrobat groups, gotten no response.
>
> Acrobat 5
> Windows 98
> Word 2000
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Larry

0
Reply Dan 10/23/2003 10:26:21 PM

"Dan Sideen" <dansideen@rogers.com> wrote in message ...
> Try NOT embedding the font. Then open it on a machine that does not have
> that font. Acrobat will use font substitution. If that's OK, its a problem
> with that particular font (probably Code page/font encoding)
>
> If the problem occurs even with font substitution, then the problem was
> created when the pdf was created.
>
> BTW, are you crossing from Windows - Mac or the other way around. That can
> cause font encoding problems.

Thanks for the info, guys.  :)  I decided to see if it changed by
downloading the latest Acrobat Reader v6.0, and it displayed perfectly.
Weird.

Larry

0
Reply Larry 10/25/2003 11:32:37 AM
comp.text.pdf 5546 articles. 36 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

missing characters in PDF printing
I am a researcher, who has to read many journal articles from internet sites. When tired of reading on the screen, I used to print out them. But sometimes I got disppointed with missing characters in PDF printouts from the printer in my office. In this case I had to send them to a network printer in my institution and got perfect printouts. I believe that this was caused because I did not update something about my printer in my computer, but I couldn't figure out how to do it. Can you tell me what to do or some pointers for this matter? (Adobe Acrobat reader 5.0 and distiller 5.0). Thanks...

Viewing PDF with characters from missing fonts
Acrobat (and presumably Reader) will open PDF documents that reference missing fonts with a justafiable warning. Ghostscript and GSView won't. Given that semiconductor datasheets originating from Japanese vendors usually have bits of text that (usually) don't relate to the technical content of the document but happen to include Kanji, it is a persistant annoyance that Ghostscipt appears to fail completely rather than simply rendering some kind of missing-character glyph. Are there any easy answers? Could a future version of Ghostscript handle missing characters more gracefully? Is ...

Trouble converting DVI to PDF (missing characters etc)
Hello everybody, I'm currently writing an article with LaTeX and need to convert the DVI output to PDF. However, some oddities occured: Some characters are missing in the PDF output, like Umlauts in footnotes and the symbols '>', '*' and '--' in my code listings and '-' in mathematical expressions (there's only one, so I don't know if anything else is missing there). I tried several different approaches converting to pdf: 1. Normally create the DVI with the 'latex' command, dvips and ps2pdf the ouput. The result was a really ugly Fo...

character encoding +missing character sequence
Hi i am involved in a telnet application.the user enters input through the jsp and the output is displayed on a jsp.the problem i am facing is that the classes i am using works fine when input is given through keyboard.if it is given through jsp,then there are missing character sequences and this usually occurs at the start of the page.why is this so? if anyone has any idea please do reply me. Thanks in advance raavi wrote: > Hi > i am involved in a telnet application.the user enters input > through the jsp and the output is displayed on a jsp.the problem i am > facin...

Missing characters
Hi all I am now involved in a telnet application.i am reading the stream as integer and converting it into byte.then i am assigning the character conversion to some sttring buffer.when i am using terminal to provide user input it is working fine.but the problem i am facing is that here i am using struts framework and the inputs are given through jsp page there are missing characters in the output.actually the program is a multi threaded one and threads are slept to get the result.can anyone have any idea? if so please do tell me. Thanks in advance. raavi wrote: > Hi all > I am...

fonts missing in PDF (when doing dvi->ps->pdf)
Hi, I have the following problem. I have some LaTeX document. It contains some text parts typeset in small caps, actually within mathmode by \mbox{\textsc{#1}} where #1 is the text. Furthermore, thanks to some ps-tricks, I don't use pdflatex, but the chain latex -> file.dvi --- dvips --> file.ps --ps2pdf--> file.pdf What happens it: the ``small capitals don't show in the PDF-file (they are present in the dvi and in the ps though). More concretely, if I have something like \textsc{SomeText}, this is represented in the PDF as &quo...

help-> xslt transformation to pdf (chinese characters changed to # characters)
I'm using xalan and xslt to transform an xml document into a pdf document. When I transform xml that has chinese characters in it and output to pdf the pdf file contains # characters every place there would have been a chinese character.... any ideas whats going on? This occurs on windows xp and on linux. any ideas? In article <MPG.1bba4c6deb86c9bc989680@news.comcast.giganews.com>, mjboyers@comcast.net says... > > I'm using xalan and xslt to transform an xml document into a pdf > document. When I transform xml that has chinese characters in it and > outp...

adobe professional extract character set fonts from pdf to edit pdf file
Having spent $400 on Adobe 'professional' edition, I cannot edit a simple PDF document without purchasing a whole lot of type from the adobe store that could easily cost $1,000. There must be some catch here! How is it that I can purchase Adobe Photoshop and not have to buy additional Pantone colours (because they are all included in the program) and yet I am forced to buy fonts in order to edit pdf documents? The Adobe 'Profesional' program is sold on the basis that I can use it to edit pdf documents, but Adobe conceals the fact that before I can use the program for editing...

Multibyte characters in PDF.
Is Multibyte Character Set supported in PDF format? Nav "Nav" <na123@aol.com> wrote: >Is Multibyte Character Set supported in PDF format? PDF supports CID fonts, which are multi-byte. ---------------------------------------- Aandi Inston quite@dial.pipex.com http://www.quite.com Please support usenet! Post replies and follow-ups, don't e-mail them. ...

PDF pages missing
Having just installed Tiger, I find that printing PDF documents of more than one page, sometimes misses the final page. This seems to be at random. For example, I printed 30 documents of varying lengths, and about 15 of the documents were missing their final page. It is never more than 1 page missing, but it is always the final page that is not printed (if it is going to miss a page). It all worked perfectly on my G5 with HP laser printer. It's only gone wrong (with the identical files) since moving to Tiger. Is this a bug, or am I missing the point somewhere? Any ideas appreciated....

PDF forms and characters
Hi I have a problem with pdf-forms. I have created a pdf-document from an excel-document. In this document I have placed form-elements like textboxes and a submit-button. This submit button posts the pdf-form as HTML to a webpage (asp.net) This works fine except that if I write swedish characters in the textboxes they are removed when the data is being extracted in the webpage. I don=B4t know if this problem comes from the convertion between excel and pdf or from a setting in the pdf-form. I am using Acrobat 6.0 Pro. Regards Mikael ...

missing pdf macros?
Hello! I would like to use the hyperref possibilities of pdf and latex, but when I run pdflatex I get the following lines (look at the end of it): (./diploma.tex (/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/thesis/thesis.cls Document Class: thesis 1996/25/01 1.0g LaTeX document class (wm). (/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/base/bk12.clo)) (/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/base/inputenc.sty (/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/base/latin2.def)) (/usr/share/texmf/tex/generic/babel/babel.sty (/usr/share/texmf/tex/generic/0magyar/magyar.ldf (/usr/share/texmf/tex/generic/babel/babel.def))) (/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/base/t1enc.sty) ...

Character Orientation in PDF
Hello, I wondering if anyone can help me - how do I detect the character orientation in a pdf? While parsing, I have tried basing my logic on the contents of CTM but this did not work, What pdf object can give me this information? In otherwords, what do I look for from the parser to know the incoming text is going to be going right, up, down etc. Any help will be most appreciated. rover_dude@yahoo.com (Faiza S) wrote: >Hello, > >I wondering if anyone can help me - how do I detect the character >orientation in a pdf? > >While parsing, I have tried basing my logic on the c...

CMU characters missing
Dear All, I tried to typeset words containing characters of the Spacing Modifier Letters (Unicode U+02B0..U+02FF) subset. When typesetting them in CM Unicode Serif, everything is fine however switching to a different series or shape displays a crossed box and an entry in the log file that character xxxx is missing in the font. Is there any possibility that these letters will be included in all CM Unicode fonts? Best regards, Oliver. -- Dr. Oliver Corff e-mail: corff@zedat.fu-berlin.de ...

Missing character in mathdesign
I get an empty character when I try typesetting $\circledS$ with the mathdesign fonts. Sure enough, running testfont.tex on mdputrma, mdbchrma, or mdugmrma and producing a \table indicates a blank at position "F3, which is where \circledS is supposed to go. Does anyone else observe a missing \circledS? Before I submit a bug report I want to make sure I haven't simply misinstalled mathdesign. Thanks, -- Scott Scott Pakin <scott+ctt@pakin.org> schrieb: > I get an empty character when I try typesetting $\circledS$ with the > mathdesign fonts. Sure enough, running tes...

Missing characters in Terminal
When I use Terminal, sometimes I get missing characters. This shows up when I try and view any man pages 'man ls' for example. It looks like none of the bold text displays. This also appears when I run perl - MCPAN -e shell. None of the commands I type at the cpan prompt displayed (they are bold text as well). I've tried setting my TERM type to vt100 (it's xterm-color by default I think). Any ideas? Thanks. Jim ...

(No) Greek characters in a PDF?!
Hi All I'm trying to print out some PDF files, but they have some occasional greek characters in them and these are coming up as blanks on the screen (and printer). I've tried both !PDF and also RiScript (using both on RiscPC and/or Iyonix), and no joy on any of then. Has anyone any ideas, please, how I can get my theta and pi's to print out? And the annoying thing is, the characters come out OK on a Windows PC. :-( All the best, Paul. Paul Beverley, Editor, Living with Technology & Archive Magazine -----------------------Phone: 01603-722544---------------------- For t...

tcpser missing characters
Hey, I am using tcpser to connect to another Apple //e who is also using tcpser. When I connect using telnet, all is fine, but when I use Ascii Express on the //e, it misses the a few characters at or near the beginning of almost every line. ie: Tinate Connection e you sure (y/[n])? Gbye Boot Zero, you were caller #239 ank you for calling Cected 1 mins, 9 secs Any idea what might be causing this? -BZ On Nov 24, 6:58=A0am, Boot Zero <ap...@bidlink.net> wrote: > Hey, > > I am using tcpser to connect to another Apple //e who is also using > tcpser. =A0When I connect ...

Missing font in PDF

Missing apostrophes in pdf
Acrobat 6.0 OSX 10.2.3 InDesign 2.0.2 When we distil an indesign document with an apostrophe in the text, the resulting pdf has only a space where the aspostrophe should be. The same document distilled through distiller 4.0 works fine. Any suggestions? TIA Andy D. copy@albanyweekender.com.au (jan sims) wrote in news:copy- 3108041814000001@192.168.123.125: > Acrobat 6.0 > OSX 10.2.3 > InDesign 2.0.2 > > When we distil an indesign document with an apostrophe in the text, the > resulting pdf has only a space where the aspostrophe should be. The same > document distill...

font characters missing
I have a home-made teletext font that works fine under ActiveState Perl 5.005 build 518 and Perl/Tk 800.015. Recently, I thought it was time for an upgrade and I installed ActiveState Perl 5.8.8.822 and Tk 804.027r6. It all went fine except that the teletext font no longer appears properly. To be more precise, the "double height upper" teletext font characters use characters below 128 and work fine but the "double height lower" characters above character 128 do not appear. Maybe that's enough info for anyone who knows the answer to this but I'm happy to dig ar...

Missing Pictures in PDF
Hi, I'm having an occasional problem (but always consistent with certain documents) with Framemaker 7.1 Solaris (v9) I have a document which contains frames with pictures imported by reference (or by copying). These pictures are in jpg format. When generating the PDF (Save as...) the contents of the frames are blank in the PDF document. However, scrolling quickly with Acrobat shows the frane briefly. When printing the document, the frames are always blank. Generating the PS file however has no such problems. More wierdly, in another document the same pictures are displaye...

Characters (Danish) missing.
A friend send me an E-mail he has composed from a danish webmail program. It screws up some danish characters: � - � - � See it here: http://home19.inet.tele.dk/phj/misc/eudora/characters.htm I have also attached the mail header to that page. What is the problem? Normally I have no problems with danish characters? -- Venlig hilsen / Regards Palle Jensen On 13 Apr 2005 21:20:21 GMT, Palle Jensen <PHJensen@gmail.com> wrote: >A friend send me an E-mail he has composed from a danish webmail >program. > >It screws up some danish characters: � - ...

PageMaker to PDF
I am taking a PageMaker file and making it an online pdf. Although I have a Table of Contents generated by PageMaker, I cannot get any bookmarks to automatically appear in the final pdf. I am not using the Export feature in PageMaker. I'm using Acrobat 4 and PM 6.5 for the pc. Any clues? Gallagher wrote: > I am taking a PageMaker file and making it an online pdf. Although I have a > Table of Contents generated by PageMaker, I cannot get any bookmarks to > automatically appear in the final pdf. I am not using the Export feature in > PageMaker. I'm using Acrobat 4 and P...