Multi-page Illustrator file convert to PDF ?

Hi all,

Adobe Illustrator allows to save as PDF, but it's only one page at a
time. I have a multi-page brochure made with Illustrator (one file per
page) and I need to convert the whole thing into ONE single PDF. How
do I do that?

Thanks!

Steve
0
stevelucas95

Steve Lucas <stevelucas95@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Adobe Illustrator allows to save as PDF, but it's only one page at a
> time. I have a multi-page brochure made with Illustrator (one file per
> page) and I need to convert the whole thing into ONE single PDF. How
> do I do that?

There are a couple of small files in the Acrobat install called
runfilex.ps and rundirex.txt. These are designed to facilitate
processing multiple PS files into a single PDF.

Instead of saving as PDF, you print from Illustrator to a PostScript
file, one for each page. Then you cut and paste the filenames into one
of these scripts and run Distiller over it.

See
http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/ca62.htm
for detailed instructions.

That's the smart way of doing it. Of course, you could also save each
page as PDF and tediously assemble the brochure in Acrobat (nee
Exchange).

Both these solutions require Acrobat. If you are too cheap to buy
Acrobat, pdfTeX (both pdfLaTeX and ConTeXt) can place arbitrary PDF
pages in a new document and you could use that feature to concatenate
them.

If the brochure is to be printed, you may find the printer is actually
quite happy with one file per page, as inputting them into the
imposition system is no great problem. Have you asked?

0
timvanhoof
9/19/2003 10:17:33 PM
stevelucas95@yahoo.com (Steve Lucas) wrote in message news:<c77892e8.0309161337.7938c68e@posting.google.com>...
> Hi all,
>
> Adobe Illustrator allows to save as PDF, but it's only one page at a
> time. I have a multi-page brochure made with Illustrator (one file per
> page) and I need to convert the whole thing into ONE single PDF. How
> do I do that?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Steve

If you have Adobe Acrobat installed, try printing to the Acrobat
Distiller printer.  If Illustrator lets you print all of the pages at
once, it should be able to print everything straight to Distiller - no
reason to bother with postscript as an intermediate format.

If you don't have Adobe Acrobat installed, you could try some of the
less expensive PDF printers on the market.  We offer one called BCL
easyPDF for $49; you can download a free demo from our website at
http://www.bcltechnologies.com.  There's also a selection PDF printers
from other manufacturers at http://www.pdfstore.com.

Rachel Burnsed
burnsed@bcltechnologies.com
0
burnsed
9/23/2003 12:08:14 AM
The traditional way is to save them as .eps files, and lay out the brochure
in a page layout program such as Quark, Pagemaker or Indesign. At least some
of these programs allow you to place .pdf's as well.

"Rachel Burnsed" <burnsed@bcltechnologies.com> wrote in message
> stevelucas95@yahoo.com (Steve Lucas) wrote in message
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Adobe Illustrator allows to save as PDF, but it's only one page at a
> > time. I have a multi-page brochure made with Illustrator (one file per
> > page) and I need to convert the whole thing into ONE single PDF. How
> > do I do that?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Steve
>

> If you have Adobe Acrobat installed, try printing to the Acrobat
> Distiller printer.  If Illustrator lets you print all of the pages at
> once, it should be able to print everything straight to Distiller - no
> reason to bother with postscript as an intermediate format.
>
> If you don't have Adobe Acrobat installed, you could try some of the
> less expensive PDF printers on the market.  We offer one called BCL
> easyPDF for $49; you can download a free demo from our website at
> http://www.bcltechnologies.com.  There's also a selection PDF printers
> from other manufacturers at http://www.pdfstore.com.
>
> Rachel Burnsed
> burnsed@bcltechnologies.com