Need to write text onto scanned pdf documents

We have the need to respond to questions on document forms sent to us.
Currently, we scan the documents and OCR them into text, which we then
edit in Word.

We would like to scan the documents into pdf images and then have the
capability to write onto the documents themselves, without having to
OCR them first.

In other words, we would like to be able to place the cursor at
specific points on the screen and then simply key in text there.  We
realize that the text won't be exactly aligned, but that's OK.  We
have sufficient space to answer the questions, so being a little bit
misaligned is not problem

Advise please how to go about this.

Thanks.

Leo
10/3/2004 12:37:00 AM
comp.text.pdf 5596 articles. 0 followers. ramon (1518) is leader. Post Follow

In article <92iul017smids3ovfdp9fni8d1v432qsgp@4ax.com>,
 Leo Bueno <REMOVETHISleobueno@usa.net> wrote:

> We have the need to respond to questions on document forms sent to us.
> Currently, we scan the documents and OCR them into text, which we then
> edit in Word.
>
> We would like to scan the documents into pdf images and then have the
> capability to write onto the documents themselves, without having to
> OCR them first.
>
> In other words, we would like to be able to place the cursor at
> specific points on the screen and then simply key in text there.  We
> realize that the text won't be exactly aligned, but that's OK.  We
> have sufficient space to answer the questions, so being a little bit
> misaligned is not problem
>
> Advise please how to go about this.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --

I'm pretty sure either PhotoShop Elements or Illustrator will do this --
and save the result directly as PDF.
0
AES
10/3/2004 10:17:18 PM
"Leo Bueno" <REMOVETHISleobueno@usa.net> wrote in message

> We have the need to respond to questions on document forms sent to us.
> Currently, we scan the documents and OCR them into text, which we then
> edit in Word.
>
> We would like to scan the documents into pdf images and then have the
> capability to write onto the documents themselves, without having to
> OCR them first.
>
> In other words, we would like to be able to place the cursor at
> specific points on the screen and then simply key in text there.  We
> realize that the text won't be exactly aligned, but that's OK.  We
> have sufficient space to answer the questions, so being a little bit
> misaligned is not problem
>
> Advise please how to go about this.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --

If you have Acrobat 5.0 or higher you can do this by opening the pdf file
and then using the form tool to create fields and then filling them up.  The
Free text tool in Acrobat 5.0 will meet your need to.  Not with the Free
Reader though.
Ravi

0
Capt
10/4/2004 4:27:40 AM
Leo Bueno schrieb:
> We have the need to respond to questions on document forms sent to us.
> Currently, we scan the documents and OCR them into text, which we then
> edit in Word.
>
> We would like to scan the documents into pdf images and then have the
> capability to write onto the documents themselves, without having to
> OCR them first.

Well, instead of "PDF images" why not save the scans to PNG/JPEG/TIFF
images? They are easier to import by many tools.

> In other words, we would like to be able to place the cursor at
> specific points on the screen and then simply key in text there.  We
> realize that the text won't be exactly aligned, but that's OK.  We
> have sufficient space to answer the questions, so being a little bit
> misaligned is not problem

So, you want to answer some scanned questionnaire, right?

> Advise please how to go about this.

Instead of the commercial tools already mentioned by others you could
use *any* free vector drawing application such as:

With native PDF export: Openoffice Draw (many platforms), Scribus (Linux
only so far)

Get OpenOffice here: http://www.openoffice.org/

Without PDF export but printing to PDF printer: every vector drawing
program (sodipodi, inkscape, skencil, ...) There are many of them.

Import the scanned pages (which you saved as PNG/JPEG/TIFF) as a
background image and put your text on top with the text tool.

To have a PDF with the scanned image plus your annotiations, save as PDF
(Export to PDF) or print to a PDF printer.

Also save in the applications native format so that you can make changes
later.

Ralf

--
Ralf Koenig
Wissenschaftlicher Mitarbeiter an der

0
Ralf
10/4/2004 11:55:10 AM
Leo Bueno <REMOVETHISleobueno@usa.net> writes:

> In other words, we would like to be able to place the cursor at
> specific points on the screen and then simply key in text there.  We
> realize that the text won't be exactly aligned, but that's OK.  We
> have sufficient space to answer the questions, so being a little bit
> misaligned is not problem

What about fillform?  It's worked for me.  See
http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex209/contrib/fillform/?filename=macros/latex209/contrib/fillform/&action=/tools/filesearch&catstring=macros/latex209/contrib/fillform/,
or search for it on CTAN.

Bill
--