Need to write text onto scanned pdf documents

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

We have the need to respond to questions on document forms sent to us.
Currently, we scan the documents and OCR them into text, which we then
edit in Word.

We would like to scan the documents into pdf images and then have the
capability to write onto the documents themselves, without having to
OCR them first.

In other words, we would like to be able to place the cursor at
specific points on the screen and then simply key in text there.  We
realize that the text won't be exactly aligned, but that's OK.  We
have sufficient space to answer the questions, so being a little bit
misaligned is not problem

Advise please how to go about this.

Thanks.

Reply Leo 10/3/2004 12:37:00 AM

See related articles to this posting

In article <92iul017smids3ovfdp9fni8d1v432qsgp@4ax.com>,
 Leo Bueno <REMOVETHISleobueno@usa.net> wrote:

> We have the need to respond to questions on document forms sent to us.
> Currently, we scan the documents and OCR them into text, which we then
> edit in Word.
>
> We would like to scan the documents into pdf images and then have the
> capability to write onto the documents themselves, without having to
> OCR them first.
>
> In other words, we would like to be able to place the cursor at
> specific points on the screen and then simply key in text there.  We
> realize that the text won't be exactly aligned, but that's OK.  We
> have sufficient space to answer the questions, so being a little bit
> misaligned is not problem
>
> Advise please how to go about this.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --

I'm pretty sure either PhotoShop Elements or Illustrator will do this --
and save the result directly as PDF.
0
Reply AES 10/3/2004 10:17:18 PM

"Leo Bueno" <REMOVETHISleobueno@usa.net> wrote in message

> We have the need to respond to questions on document forms sent to us.
> Currently, we scan the documents and OCR them into text, which we then
> edit in Word.
>
> We would like to scan the documents into pdf images and then have the
> capability to write onto the documents themselves, without having to
> OCR them first.
>
> In other words, we would like to be able to place the cursor at
> specific points on the screen and then simply key in text there.  We
> realize that the text won't be exactly aligned, but that's OK.  We
> have sufficient space to answer the questions, so being a little bit
> misaligned is not problem
>
> Advise please how to go about this.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --

If you have Acrobat 5.0 or higher you can do this by opening the pdf file
and then using the form tool to create fields and then filling them up.  The
Free text tool in Acrobat 5.0 will meet your need to.  Not with the Free
Reader though.
Ravi

0
Reply Capt 10/4/2004 4:27:40 AM

Leo Bueno schrieb:
> We have the need to respond to questions on document forms sent to us.
> Currently, we scan the documents and OCR them into text, which we then
> edit in Word.
>
> We would like to scan the documents into pdf images and then have the
> capability to write onto the documents themselves, without having to
> OCR them first.

Well, instead of "PDF images" why not save the scans to PNG/JPEG/TIFF
images? They are easier to import by many tools.

> In other words, we would like to be able to place the cursor at
> specific points on the screen and then simply key in text there.  We
> realize that the text won't be exactly aligned, but that's OK.  We
> have sufficient space to answer the questions, so being a little bit
> misaligned is not problem

So, you want to answer some scanned questionnaire, right?

> Advise please how to go about this.

Instead of the commercial tools already mentioned by others you could
use *any* free vector drawing application such as:

With native PDF export: Openoffice Draw (many platforms), Scribus (Linux
only so far)

Get OpenOffice here: http://www.openoffice.org/

Without PDF export but printing to PDF printer: every vector drawing
program (sodipodi, inkscape, skencil, ...) There are many of them.

Import the scanned pages (which you saved as PNG/JPEG/TIFF) as a
background image and put your text on top with the text tool.

To have a PDF with the scanned image plus your annotiations, save as PDF
(Export to PDF) or print to a PDF printer.

Also save in the applications native format so that you can make changes
later.

Ralf

--
Ralf Koenig
Wissenschaftlicher Mitarbeiter an der

0
Reply Ralf 10/4/2004 11:55:10 AM

Leo Bueno <REMOVETHISleobueno@usa.net> writes:

> In other words, we would like to be able to place the cursor at
> specific points on the screen and then simply key in text there.  We
> realize that the text won't be exactly aligned, but that's OK.  We
> have sufficient space to answer the questions, so being a little bit
> misaligned is not problem

What about fillform?  It's worked for me.  See
http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex209/contrib/fillform/?filename=macros/latex209/contrib/fillform/&action=/tools/filesearch&catstring=macros/latex209/contrib/fillform/,
or search for it on CTAN.

Bill
--
Bill Harris
Facilitated Systems

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

scanned image pdf to searchable text pdf
We have a lot of pdf files that are just scanned images of documents. How easy is it to change these into pdf's that we can search for specific words. I believe Adobe Acrobat Capture will do this when the document is originally scanned, but can it use pdf's that have already been created. If it can, can this process be automated to convert 100s of pdf files? Are there other alternatives to Adobe Acrobat Capture as it is not cheap for a large number of documents? I am new to this, so please keep it simple. Thanks for any help. Adrian HI, As you indicated, your pdf's are ...

Scanned text (image) needs to be converted to text
Hello all, I have a PDF of a contract that was scanned in and stored as an image (so we can't select the text). Is there any way to convert an image to text (preferably built in to Adobe Acrobat or a free plug-in)? We are using Adobe Acrobat 5.0. Thanks for any help anyone can provide, Conan Kelly Conan Kelly wrote: > Hello all, > > I have a PDF of a contract that was scanned in and stored as an image > (so we can't select the text). > > Is there any way to convert an image to text (preferably built in to > Adobe Acrobat or a free plug-in)? > &...

Change text color for one document.write but not color of all text?
Hi, one part of my website is at: http://www.psych.nmsu.edu/~jkroger/lab/undergrads.html I want to make the date at the top right darker blue. But when I do that, all the light blue text next to the pictures also changes. How can I control the color of the result of document.write output without changing the forground color of the entire page? Note my document write includes variables, so I was hesitant to imbed an html command in the document.write. Thanks much in advance for any pointers.... Jim <kroger@princeton.edu> wrote in message news:1107038498.074086.115160@z14g2000cwz.g...

Need help with strings, read text and writing text to file...
Hi all; I have writen a program to read in a list of filenmaes and to output javascript and html code. The resulting html code is then run thru a html to js program ( Easy HTML To Any Script Converter]. All this to display the pictures in a slideshow. The code did work at one stage... before I fully tested. But now I don't know whats gone wrong. As the html and javascript look right, as does the js code. There are three slide show, each with their own buttons... However some work, while others don't! #include <stdio.h> #include <string.h> #include <...

Scanned PDF is always crooked (need to rotate PDF a degree or three)
My HP Laserjet 3200m printer/scanner often scans pages off kilter. It's noticeable, but slight (maybe a couple of degrees). If it were a JPEG, I could use The Gimp freeware to straighten but it's a PDF. If I must, I could scan to JPEG and then use cutePDF freeware or Adobe Acrobat 6.0 Standard payware to then print the straightened JPG to PDF - but that seems convoluted. Is there freeware that will rotate a PDF page by just a degree or three (just like The Gimp rotates an image)? At Tue, 8 Oct 2013 22:45:36 +0000 (UTC) Fran Jones <FranJones@is.invalid> wrote: &g...

write on/into pdf document
Hi everybody. Recently, I found a lightweight tool on LInux to view pdf documents. A nice feature was the ability to add simple text lines to the pdf document. It is not a drawing tool or such. Unfortunately, I cannot remember which tool it was and I couldn't find it on the web. Does anyone have an idea which tool it was? Thank you, Ulrich Ulrich Scholz wrote: > Hi everybody. > > Recently, I found a lightweight tool on LInux to view pdf documents. A > nice feature was the ability to add simple text lines to the pdf > document. It is not a drawing tool or such. &g...

Scanning documents to PDF
Hi, any help appreciated with the following problem: I need to scan from documents to .pdf files, very simple (or so it would seem). The documents are nothing but text, no images. I want to have it stored as "OCR text", meaning that both the original scanned page appears, but the OCRed text is also embedded within the document, so that text can be selected and copied to the clipboard. I was able to do this with my low end HP scanner and its software. The HP software was not good, but I was able to coax it into scanning with 1 bit resolution and OCR, to a multipage .pdf file. I hav...

Write text in pdf
Hi everybody.. I append several figures into a .ps file and then I convert it to a ..pdf file (with the ps2pdf of file exchange ), but I would like to add one page with some text related to the figures that are contained in the .pdf file.. So, any ideas of how to do this? Thanks in advanced! Anthony ...

Scanning a text document
Does anyone know what the command is to scan a line of a file in a text document for a specific word? Is there such a command? Anything would help thanks. "bsmith95610" <smithbrant@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1131062202.116187.103000@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > Does anyone know what the command is C has no 'commands'. > to scan a line of a file in a text > document for a specific word? Is there such a command? No, C has no 'commands', nor does it have a built-in facility to do this, however it's a simple task to write one. >...

Deleting text from a PDF document?
I have been looking for a way to edit some existing PDF documents via c# or vb.net. I need to find and delete some text areas in the document somehow. From what i have gathered the text strings im looking for would look something like this in the file: 149 0 obj << /S 615 /Filter /FlateDecode /Length 150 0 R >> stream H�b```f``�������A�X��, = .. .. v+y�M^��D�.��2� �آ��,���1D JA � endstream endobj FlateDecode seems to be some compression format. So if i find a way to decompress this "FlateDecode", should i then be able to read the text, and figure out wh...

need document.write expert

Writing text to a Word Document
Hi everyone, I am trying to write several attributes from a database table and using the code below I can write the values however it is only overwriting on the first line. I am new to the win32com bit and I would like to know what is the recommended reference to loop down the page and add multiple records rather than the worddoc.Content. I have read a little about writing this to an RTF or htmol but I am getting information overload and going nowhere. Does anyone have a nice tutorial out there that simply explains how to do this? Much appreciated for any thoughts. Cheers, Gareth impor...

need help scanning documents
I'm engaged in a long term project scanning and annotating an archive. It contains hundreds of photographs and thousands of documents, the latter mostly A4 but including a lot of newspaper articles. The press reports no problem by and large; if they take up a few columns the size doesn't matter, but I'd like the A4s to come out more or less as seen. When I scan the photos I use 96dpi and they are okay, ditto the small reports but scanning a document at that resolution leaves the result rather poor quality, and increasing the resolution makes them come out BIG. Any help regarding...

old pdf text scan
I have 17gigs (thousands of files) of old pdfs that are scans of past project documents that I need to search through using key words. Most of the pdfs were not created as searchable text, just large pictures, image files. Does anyone know the work around? Is there some software I can use to try to strip out text from picture pdfs? I've never tried this before, I've hunted google for awhile but found nothing... I would guess version 8 of Adobe Reader would search and list all of the files that contained a specific word or word phrase. I use PDF-XChange Viewer and it will do it...

How to extract text from a PDF document
Hello, How can I extract text from a (MS Word) PDF file? I've tryed pdftotext but it only produce crap, not one readable cleartext sentence. :) Exists other (free) utilties to convert pdf to a text file or extract text? I think it must possible, because I also can copy and paste text from PDF documents. greetings Fabian Hello Fabian: You can try our product Chief-Win PDF Converter Personal Edition V1.1, convert PDF to word/text. You can download it through : http://www.chief-win.com/setup.exe, it allow 21 days free trial with full function. Or you can try Easy PDF To Text...

Writing string to text document
Is there anyway that I can have matlab create a text document and write a string to it? Thanks, Naruto "Naruto " <darthxepher@gmail.com> wrote in message <i44cda$2se$1@fred.mathworks.com>... > Is there anyway that I can have matlab create a text document and write a string to it? > > Thanks, > Naruto a few tools: doc fopen doc fwrite doc fprintf doc fclose dos sprintf ...

Scanning a text document #2
Does anyone know what the command is to scan a line of a file in a text document for a specific word? Is there such a command? Anything would help thanks. char str[100]; FILE *fp; if ((fp = fopen("in.dat","r")) == NULL) { printf("Error in open in.dat\n"); exit(1); } while(1) { if (fgets(str,sizeof(str),fp) == NULL) break; if(strstr(str,"special word here")) { // do sth on *str; } } fclose(fp); ...

Add text into a PDF document
Hi all, I need some help to add some text into an existing PDF document. I seach with Google but the only thing that I see is some basic things like merge and split documents. I know how to do that. I had the paper version of the Adobe SDK but I can't find it any more. Can someone please help me with a few lines of code or a link to a side where I can find more information how to get the job done. Thanks in advance Tim ...

Scanned pdf to editable text
Is there an utility that can edit a scanned pdf file? From the image file, not an editable pdf, can I convert it to edit the text in it? Tracker's PDF-Viewer Pro program has a tool to scan the document and thus editable. http://www.tracker-software.com/ -- Don Vancouver, USA "Alpha" <rustyrudi@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:AMmdnefzq-azpjXMnZ2dnUVZ8k2dnZ2d@giganews.com... > Is there an utility that can edit a scanned pdf file? > From the image file, not an editable pdf, can I convert it to edit the > text > in it? On Fri,...

Writing Arabic text to a PDF file
Hello everyone I have a Java application that writes to a PDF file using the gnujpdf API. When I write English text to the PDF file it works fine. The problem I encounter is when I try writing Arabic text to the file. They end up as ???? (question marks). The Arabic strings to be written to the pdf are present in Properties files in Unicode form. When I display these Arabic strings on the screen using the Graphics object, they appear perfectly fine. But the same Graphics object when passed to the API's dispose method, ends up showing me only question marks. Does anyone have any ideas o...

How to select text in pdf scanned as images?
I need to select and search text in a pdf file, but the pdf has been created from scanned sheets. Can I use OCR software to gain a selectable text? I have only the pdf file, not the sheeets. Thanks a lot! (sorry for my english ^_^;;) -- Tilt Hi, Since the PDF was created from scanned sheets, there is no text. You will need to use an OCR program to convert the character images back into text. They generally do a pretty good job (I have been very pleasantly suprised) provided the PDF's are fairly clean and sharp. Good luck, Larry T. Tilt wrote: > I need to select and search text i...

Any possible way to write a text document ?
I know that there is probably no way to do this but, I would really like to be able do this, so ...:) Aaron Aaron Gray said the following on 11/10/2005 4:16 PM: > I know that there is probably no way to do this but, To do what? > I would really like to be able do this, so ...:) That depends, directly, on what you would "really like to be able to do". -- Randy comp.lang.javascript FAQ - http://jibbering.com/faq & newsgroup weekly Javascript Best Practices - http://www.JavascriptToolbox.com/bestpractices/ >> I know that there is probably no way to do this but...

[PDF-Writer] Write superscripted text
Hello, Is there a way in PDF-writer to write subscript or superscript (power) text?? Thanks -- Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/. While we're at it, does anybody have a set of instructions for setting up PDF-writer on a Unix system to create PDFs that include Japanese text? Last I looked, there was some font downloading and conversion that needed to be done. Please cc me on replies, as this list replaces my reply-to header. cjs -- Curt Sampson <cjs@starling-software.com> +81 90 7737 2974 Mobile sites and software consulting: http://www.starling-software.com ...

need help parsing PDF documents
Hi, i'm currently writing a routine in PHP to extract text parts from within a PDF to build up an index and make a search in there. So far so good. I can extract all text parts that were built using FlateEncoding. But now i have two problems: 1) When FlateEncoding was used in connection with ASCii85Encoding i always end up in a failure. I made a routine which does the ASCii85Decoding stuff. It "should" work properly. At least when i use a test-string and calculate the result on paper the function produces the same result! But everytime i convert a ASCii85 encoded stream...