Need to write text onto scanned pdf documents

We have the need to respond to questions on document forms sent to us.
Currently, we scan the documents and OCR them into text, which we then
edit in Word.

We would like to scan the documents into pdf images and then have the
capability to write onto the documents themselves, without having to
OCR them first.

In other words, we would like to be able to place the cursor at
specific points on the screen and then simply key in text there.  We
realize that the text won't be exactly aligned, but that's OK.  We
have sufficient space to answer the questions, so being a little bit
misaligned is not problem

Advise please how to go about this.

Thanks.

Leo
10/3/2004 12:37:00 AM
comp.text.pdf 5581 articles. 36 followers. ramon (1518) is leader. Post Follow

In article <92iul017smids3ovfdp9fni8d1v432qsgp@4ax.com>,
 Leo Bueno <REMOVETHISleobueno@usa.net> wrote:

> We have the need to respond to questions on document forms sent to us.
> Currently, we scan the documents and OCR them into text, which we then
> edit in Word.
>
> We would like to scan the documents into pdf images and then have the
> capability to write onto the documents themselves, without having to
> OCR them first.
>
> In other words, we would like to be able to place the cursor at
> specific points on the screen and then simply key in text there.  We
> realize that the text won't be exactly aligned, but that's OK.  We
> have sufficient space to answer the questions, so being a little bit
> misaligned is not problem
>
> Advise please how to go about this.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --

I'm pretty sure either PhotoShop Elements or Illustrator will do this --
and save the result directly as PDF.
0
AES
10/3/2004 10:17:18 PM
"Leo Bueno" <REMOVETHISleobueno@usa.net> wrote in message

> We have the need to respond to questions on document forms sent to us.
> Currently, we scan the documents and OCR them into text, which we then
> edit in Word.
>
> We would like to scan the documents into pdf images and then have the
> capability to write onto the documents themselves, without having to
> OCR them first.
>
> In other words, we would like to be able to place the cursor at
> specific points on the screen and then simply key in text there.  We
> realize that the text won't be exactly aligned, but that's OK.  We
> have sufficient space to answer the questions, so being a little bit
> misaligned is not problem
>
> Advise please how to go about this.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --

If you have Acrobat 5.0 or higher you can do this by opening the pdf file
and then using the form tool to create fields and then filling them up.  The
Free text tool in Acrobat 5.0 will meet your need to.  Not with the Free
Reader though.
Ravi

0
Capt
10/4/2004 4:27:40 AM
Leo Bueno schrieb:
> We have the need to respond to questions on document forms sent to us.
> Currently, we scan the documents and OCR them into text, which we then
> edit in Word.
>
> We would like to scan the documents into pdf images and then have the
> capability to write onto the documents themselves, without having to
> OCR them first.

Well, instead of "PDF images" why not save the scans to PNG/JPEG/TIFF
images? They are easier to import by many tools.

> In other words, we would like to be able to place the cursor at
> specific points on the screen and then simply key in text there.  We
> realize that the text won't be exactly aligned, but that's OK.  We
> have sufficient space to answer the questions, so being a little bit
> misaligned is not problem

So, you want to answer some scanned questionnaire, right?

> Advise please how to go about this.

Instead of the commercial tools already mentioned by others you could
use *any* free vector drawing application such as:

With native PDF export: Openoffice Draw (many platforms), Scribus (Linux
only so far)

Get OpenOffice here: http://www.openoffice.org/

Without PDF export but printing to PDF printer: every vector drawing
program (sodipodi, inkscape, skencil, ...) There are many of them.

Import the scanned pages (which you saved as PNG/JPEG/TIFF) as a
background image and put your text on top with the text tool.

To have a PDF with the scanned image plus your annotiations, save as PDF
(Export to PDF) or print to a PDF printer.

Also save in the applications native format so that you can make changes
later.

Ralf

--
Ralf Koenig
Wissenschaftlicher Mitarbeiter an der

0
Ralf
10/4/2004 11:55:10 AM
Leo Bueno <REMOVETHISleobueno@usa.net> writes:

> In other words, we would like to be able to place the cursor at
> specific points on the screen and then simply key in text there.  We
> realize that the text won't be exactly aligned, but that's OK.  We
> have sufficient space to answer the questions, so being a little bit
> misaligned is not problem

What about fillform?  It's worked for me.  See
http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex209/contrib/fillform/?filename=macros/latex209/contrib/fillform/&action=/tools/filesearch&catstring=macros/latex209/contrib/fillform/,
or search for it on CTAN.

Bill
--
Bill Harris
Facilitated Systems

Announcing 'Distributed Scanners' discussion group (Scanning public domain texts)
[Feel free to redistribute this announcement to other forums where on-topic, such as scanning, graphics, books and publishing, library and archives, etc. Thanks.] .... Let's digitally scan all the world's public domain books! ... Everyone, Several people privately expressed interest in the "Distributed Scanners" (DistScan) idea I recently outlined to the Book People forum. So, I've taken the next step and created a Yahoo discussion group to further explore this idea -- to see if it has any legs. You are invited to join -- refer to the info at the end of t...

help needed with predict function
Hello! I wrote the following code: date=csvread('date.csv'); %the data variable contains 9356 lines and 2 columns %the first column contains the time the measurement took place %the second column contains the measured value a=size(date); y=iddata(date(1:fix(a(1)/2),2)); %i use the 1st half of the data to estimate the model using the ar function mod=ar(y,2); pred=predict(mod,iddata(date(:,2))); %end code Is pred(fix(a(1)/2)+1:end) really the prediction of my second half of data using the model estimated or it's just a simulation of the model? I want to predict the next 100 values...

I need ...
Hi. It is my first post on this list. I can't find (in network) some program (code) writed in assembler (16bit). This program writed some guy who was in army , and had to many free time. Program used bootsector of disc. When somebody forgot your disc from floppy disc , and restart your Pc , that on monitor was a amination (fire), and text: (I don't know exactly )."Idiot !! In floppy disc is a disc " . I remember that in bootsector was jump to last sector of disc where was a program with animation. Sorry for my English , and mistakes. ...

Need Bondi Rev A iMac motherboard swap advice
I just started using our daughter's "hand-me-down" rev A iMac and I am surprised at how well it works with OS X (192 MB RAM, 20 GB HD). However, as you probably know, the graphics chip in the Rev A (Rage IIC) is pretty slow so I started thinking about swapping in a motherboard from a Rev B, C, or D. I had the impression that the Rev A, B, C and D motherboards could be swapped interchangibly, but an ebay seller of an Rev D motherboard stated in his ad that it was only compatible with the Rev B, C or D machines. Can someone enlighten me on this issue? Can later model moth...

Data Dictionary Tool Needed
I'm looking for a tool (hopefully inexpensive or freeware) that can accept an XML format and produce an HTML, hyperlinked data dictionary. The content of the XML is class/attribute (or table/column) information. Any ideas out there? Thanks! Quinn ...

need LDA / PCA matlab code and tutorials
hello PCA(principal component analysis) and LDA(linear discriminate analysis) processes are used to reduce dimensionality of a vector. can anyone provide tutorials and matlab code of these techniques. thanks mahesh Have you tried searching online? There is a large amount of high-quality material available for free on the World Wide Web. Try some combination of terms such as: "dicriminant analysis" (note the correct spelling) "source code" MATLAB I have found these search engines to be especially useful: A9 (www.a9.com) AlltheWeb (www.alltheweb.com) Alta Vista (www.alt...

java programming
Hi, I have a java panel that inludes several text boxs, labels, buttons and a label in barcode characters. I want to print this panel into a printer file (with extention *.prn) and save in the hard disk so that i can get print-outs later. How can I do this programmatically in java? Thanks in advance. Manjula ...

!!!ASSISTANCE NEEDED!!!
Dear Friend, After deliberation with my children, I decided to contact you for your assistance in standing as a beneficiary to the sum of US$15.5M(Fifteen Million,Five hundred Thousand United States Dollars Only). First, let me start by introducing myself as MRS SUSAN SHABANGU, a mother of three children and the Deputy Minister of Minerals and Energy since 1s= t April 1996 to date under the auspices of the President of South Africa MR THABO MBEKI. You can view my profile at my website www.gov.za/profiles/shabangu.htm THE PROPOSAL: After the swearing in ceremony making me the D...

Do I need TSIG for zone transfer on an intranet env?
is it too much? ACL should do the job? ...

FAQ 8.32 How can I write expect in Perl? #10
This is an excerpt from the latest version perlfaq8.pod, which comes with the standard Perl distribution. These postings aim to reduce the number of repeated questions as well as allow the community to review and update the answers. The latest version of the complete perlfaq is at http://faq.perl.org . -------------------------------------------------------------------- 8.32: How can I write expect in Perl? Once upon a time, there was a library called chat2.pl (part of the standard perl distribution), which never really got finished. If you find it somewhere, *don't use it*...

Freeform database needed
I am not sure that "freeform" is the right term, but I need a database that does not use the standard table/record/field structure. I want to be able to just dump stuff into the program - text, images, URLs, etc - and then be able to locate/organize information based on keywords and logical concepts. Can anyone suggest something? -- Peter Aitken Remove the crap from my email address before using. On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 20:33:34 +0000, Peter Aitken wrote: > I am not sure that "freeform" is the right term, but I need a database > that does not use the...

Re: Newbie needs your help! #3
Avinash, I am not total sure why you want a data structure so abnormal as what you desribe. It seems to me that it will provide more trouble than it is worth. However, if you are insistant on such a structure here ya go: data oneb ; if eof then do ; Sex = 'Race' ; Dose1 = . ; Dose2 = . ; output ; end ; set one end = eof ; output ; run ; data three ; set oneb two (rename = (Race = sex)) ; run ; HTH Toby Dunn -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Avinash Sent: Tuesday, November 23, 2004 12:03 PM To: SAS...

models needed
does anyone have a decent model of a laptop and / or docking station suitable for renderings? any help would be greatly appreciated. -mr. brown ...

Need Computer Help?
PC Dude computer Help and Discussion forums offer professional help for all your computer problems. Check us out at http://pcdude.proboards86.com Gary335 napisal(a): > PC Dude computer Help and Discussion forums offer professional help for > all your computer problems. Check us out at > http://pcdude.proboards86.com bleh ... Regards -- A=2EB - http://www.dzialkanadmorzem.pl/ http://www.realestate1.eu campingpl=E4tze in Polen urlaub in polen wetter polen Ostsee Polen dzialkanadmor...@onet.eu wrote: > Gary335 napisal(a): > > PC Dude computer Help...

ToolBar (icon + text) Text at right Position
Hi all, by default the text in a Toolbar is in the bottom of the button, but if i want int the right of the buttom who can i do this? Thanks in Advance Paulo Oliveira sorry, I'm soo naif oTB:SetStyle(TBSTYLE_LIST,TRUE) of course.!!!!! Thanks anyway. PAulo ...

Administrator Needs Help!!!!!!!!!!! #2
I administor a small isp with about 1000 customers. We have sun ultra 10 300 mhz with 512mb memory. I have solaris 2.6 running, with apache, dns, sendmail, tacacs-plus running also. My problem is that this server gets really slow at times. I think we have too much running on one server. What I need to know is if I can put some of these things, like sendmail and maybe tacacs-plus on another server. I have 3 more sun ultra 10's 300's. My other problem is I only have one domain name for the isp. All mail is routed to this domain name. If I put sendmail on another server, I will h...

Opening a text file and selecting a line in external editor
Hi, I want to open a text file in an external editor (eg. Subedthaedit) and let the external editor select a single line. There is a short description of the apple events I need to send here: http://www.codingmonkeys.de/techpubs/externaleditor/pbxexternaleditor.html Does someone have code lying about to do that and wants to share it? Ive tried using the launch services it opens the file but I cannot get it to select a particular line. My carbon knowledge is very limited and I just cant figure out where its going wrong. Especially since it doesn't report any errors. Co...

Urgent:help needed
Hello All, I am using Fsh,it has Python Dependecy.It uses several moduels from Python.The problem is"Select" module in missing in the list of modules available in python.So I can't import it.But the library file needed for select module ,select.sl is there in the python(I guess).If anyone has come across such problem before,if do help me.Help me in knowing how to import the select module (from python). With Advance Thanks, Prabu.S --- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.712 / Virus Database: 468 -...

milter error write(L) returned -1, expected 50: Broken pipe
Hi, I found the following error many times but only from the same sending server in my sendmail log (never seen before, 2000K mails since setup): --------------------------- Aug 19 12:22:17 server milter-greylist: p7JAME8U015316: addr 83.19.xx.xx from <sender@domain.de> rcpt <recip@mydomain.de>: autowhitelisted for another 768:00:00 Aug 19 14:51:45 server sm-mta[15316]: p7JAME8U015316: from=<sender@domain.de>, size=125990, class=0, nrcpts=1, msgid=<@OF45480D59.66ADE979-ONC12578F1.00339A09- C12578F8.00294A3Adomain.de>, proto=ESMTP, daemon=MTA-v4, relay=domino.domain.de...

Avoid index scan with LIKE and a variable
Hi, Here's my problem: I want to write a stored procedure that returns all records from a table that have a certain column starting with given text. I however find that using LIKE and a variable always causes an index scan... which is causing performance issues. My table has about 3.5M records. Below is a test. In query analyser if I look at the execution plan for the following it will come up as in index scan. However, if i just hard-code the text it all works fine (index seek). How can I do this with reasonable speed??? Thanks Greg DECLARE @find varchar(50) SET @find = 'start'...

Pricing Needed
Hi Julie, Please help! I need HP maintenance costs on a C7145RA-DLT Thanks ATS Chris Modenbach Phone: 800-231-5500F2skZGHV * To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, * * etc., please visit http://raven.utc.edu/archives/hp3000-l.html * ...

Immediate Need - Jira or Informatica Admin - Nashville, TN
Hi, I have an urgent opening for Jira or Informatica Admin, kindly send the upd= ated resume ASAP. Job Title: Jira or Informatica Admin Location: Nashville, TN Duration: 12 month+ Job Description: Must Have Skills: JIRA or Informatica ( ETL ) Admin with UNIX Support Servi= ces and Application Support experience Junior to Mid-level Technologist with knowledge of tools shall provide Oper= ational support L1, L2, and evolve to engineering function for WMA shared s= ervice platforms working in concert with WMA IT senior Architects and UBS G= lobal core engineering team suppor...

Help Need on Macro
Hi, I am getting an error in the following code. Please have a look on this code. =20 In data set cluster_stats there are variables with name: clusterP_10 clusterP_20 clusterP_30=20 clusterP_40 clusterP_50 clusterP_60 clusterP_70 clusterP_80.=20 Along with mean_error_clusterP_10 mean_error_clusterP_20 mean_error_clusterP_30 and so on till mean_error_clusterP_80 =20 The objective is, among=20 mean_error_clusterP_10 mean_error_clusterP_20 mean_error_clusterP_30..... till mean_error_clusterP_80 =20 which-ever is minimum (mean_error_clusterP_XX), the corresponding value of variable clu...

text in mode
Hello in text-mode how can I modifiy the font and size of the text? underline and the rest using the keyboard. thanks > how can I modifiy the font and size of the text? underline and the > rest using the keyboard. For underline use: M-g u If you want to change the face type M-g o <ENTER> then the face you want to use. If you want to see which face are available type: M-x list-faces-display. Have a look in the menu for more information. For font size I only know <SHIFT>-<MOUSE-1> that give a menu to choose from but set it for the frame not only part of the text. Ho...

needs help
hi friends i m new to this group.i m a student of net working any one can help me.second can we use this foroum for help the people .if u want to help swat victims of pakistan visite www.nfk75.blogspot.com. ...