On pdftk

It's happened yet again: the exceptional semantical treatment of "flatten"
in pdftk has taken another bite out of my @55. Why can't I remember it's

: pdftk [infile.pdf] output [outfile.pdf] flatten ?

I keep trying to put "flatten" in the "action-type ..." position,

: pdftk [infile.pdf] [action-type with parameters] output [outfile.pdf] ,

which fails miserably ... until I remember "flatten" is exceptional.

(Grrr!) This ever bite others? (Help me feel less alone.) Cheers, -- tlvp
tlvp

tlvp wrote:
> This ever bite others?

Never, because you're way ahead of me. I can't do what you do at all.
For the limited number of special cases I actually use, I have written
private wrapper batches and all of these echo a syntax reminder when
called without parameters.
When writing or modifying those batches, I can't do it at all without
having all the documentation of the called programs open all the time.

Axel
0
Axel
3/27/2015 8:46:47 AM
0
Peter
3/27/2015 9:29:33 PM
On Fri, 27 Mar 2015 21:29:33 +0000, Peter Flynn wrote:

> ... On 03/27/2015 08:46 AM, Axel Berger wrote:
>> tlvp wrote:
>>> This ever bite others?
>>
>> Never, because you're way ahead of me. I can't do what you do at
>> all. ... I can't do it at all without having all the
>> documentation of the called programs open all the time.
>
> I've never used flatten either, but I wonder why the author chose to
> put the option in that position. It seems rather perverse.

Thanks to you both: I'm feeling a bit less like a hopeless idiot now :-) .

BTW, why flatten? Because when we use a "Button" to add a 2"x1.2" Bookland
barcode to our PDF for a paperback book cover, the result, if not
flattened, plays havoc with our PoD print provider's PDF-to-press workflow.

Cheers, -- tlvp
tlvp
3/28/2015 1:26:26 AM
Peter Flynn tipperte:

Thank you guys, feels good not to be alone :)

Greets,
Peter
0
Peter
8/4/2015 4:03:43 PM
On Friday, March 27, 2015 at 1:43:22 AM UTC-4, tlvp wrote:
> I keep trying to put "flatten" in the "action-type ..." position,
>
> : pdftk [infile.pdf] [action-type with parameters] output [outfile.pdf] ,
>
> which fails miserably ... until I remember "flatten" is exceptional.

"flatten" is not unique. All of these options go after the final output:
[ flatten ] [ need_appearances ]
[ compress | uncompress ]
[ keep_first_id | keep_final_id ]
[ drop_xfa ]
[ verbose ]
[ dont_ask | do_ask ]

flatten through drop_xfa are all things that happen after all input files have been processed and sent to the output file(s).

verbose, dont_ask and do_ask only affect the interaction with the user and not any operations at all, so they go super-last.

So, it does make a kind of sense if you try to take the viewpoint of the program instead of the user.
0
rpresser
8/6/2015 5:27:17 PM
On Thu, 6 Aug 2015 10:27:17 -0700 (PDT), rpresser wrote:

> On Friday, March 27, 2015 at 1:43:22 AM UTC-4, tlvp wrote:
>> I keep trying to put "flatten" in the "action-type ..." position,
>>
>>: pdftk [infile.pdf] [action-type with parameters] output [outfile.pdf] ,
>>
>> which fails miserably ... until I remember "flatten" is exceptional.
>
> "flatten" is not unique. All of these options go after the final output:
> [ flatten ] [ need_appearances ]
> [ compress | uncompress ]
> [ keep_first_id | keep_final_id ]
> [ drop_xfa ]
> [ verbose ]
> [ dont_ask | do_ask ]
>
> flatten through drop_xfa are all things that happen after all input files have been processed and sent to the output file(s).
>
> verbose, dont_ask and do_ask only affect the interaction with the user and not any operations at all, so they go super-last.
>
> So, it does make a kind of sense if you try to take the viewpoint of the program instead of the user.

Noted. I guess "flatten' is *not* an _operation_? Thanks. Cheers, -- tlvp
tlvp

pdf \ text (get rid of text in pdf)

ANN: Fly Text to PDF

PDF PDF PDF
For anyone struggling to figure out how to create a PDF in SWX it's pretty simple but you may have to have the Bluebeam version of swx FIRST go to Tools>Options and check "Save as PDF" Then you can save them right from the save as dialog. Maybe I'm the only dumbass that could't figure that out! ;0) But it was in help under "PDF" An easier way is to download a program from www.pdf995.com that "prints" you files to a PDF foramat. This program works with SW and any other program you use to print with. "3d" <jmiller at marvelindustri...

Convert PDF image to PDF text
Hi, I have a PDF file with image text documents. hence I can't search the text. How can I convert it to searchable PDF file? Thanx You will have to scan it using an OCR (Optical Character Recognition) application and then create a PDF file. -- Don Vancouver, USA <WhiteLen@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1193737890.691267.165820@z9g2000hsf.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > > I have a PDF file with image text documents. hence I can't search the > text. How can I convert it to searchable PDF file? > > Thanx > Any recommendation for OCR application? ...

convert text images in pdf to text
Hi, I have a pdf file where someone scanned in pages from a book and stored them as images in a pdf file which is 16 meg. Is there an easy way I can do some kind of OCR on this file to just get plain text from the images of text in the pdf? Using a standard pdf to txt converter won't work because the file contains images of text as it appears in the book. Thanks, Ben -- Cheap long distance calling using Onesuite (http://www.onesuite.com). 2.5 cents/min anywhere in the U.S., to Canada or the U.K. No monthly or connection fees! Use promotional code 038664643 for 20 free minutes. Tr...

PDF image of text to readable text ?
Seems there are web based tools and software. My son needs text to have it read for him. He has a PC. Found PDF reader $50 , http://thurly.net/11ia and http://thurly.net/11i4 the last being google. Wondering what you folks found useful or use ? Thanks! -- Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden http://uppitywis.org/ live WI ...

convert PDF images to PDF text (OCR)
Hi, I have a book which was entirely scanned into a PDF, there are approximately 300 pages. The problem is that each page is an image of the paper page, not selectable text. How can I convert this PDF made of images to a text-selectable PDF? Or directly convert it to Word? I suppose I'll need some form of OCR. Thanks in advance, Raphael Yes, since you have an image, you need to OCR it into data. You will not have much luck with any formating info, but most OCR programs today to a pretty good job if the image is fairly clean . Larry T. larrynospam@nospamjbmsystems.com wrote in message...

scanned image pdf to searchable text pdf
We have a lot of pdf files that are just scanned images of documents. How easy is it to change these into pdf's that we can search for specific words. I believe Adobe Acrobat Capture will do this when the document is originally scanned, but can it use pdf's that have already been created. If it can, can this process be automated to convert 100s of pdf files? Are there other alternatives to Adobe Acrobat Capture as it is not cheap for a large number of documents? I am new to this, so please keep it simple. Thanks for any help. Adrian HI, As you indicated, your pdf's are ...

Has anyone tried PDF text to SVG text?
Has anyone tried PDF text to SVG text? http://www.pdftron.com/pdf2svg/index.html The pdfTron PDF2SVG converter enables users to publish PDF documents in SVG (Scalable Vector Graphics), the open-standard W3C recommendation for high-end graphics on the web. The flawless conversion process produces compact SVG documents that can be viewed using freely available SVG viewers and plugins. "Dr Joolz" <jxm96c@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:c1oo74$kkv$1$8302bc10@news.demon.co.uk... > Has anyone tried PDF text to SVG text? > > pdf2vector is available in desktop, ser...

ghostscript PDF page extraction, leaving text as text
Ghostscript may be used to extract pages from a PDF file with a command like this: gs -sDEVICE=pdfwrite \ -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -dSAFER \ -dFirstPage=48 -dLastPage=48 \ -sOutputFile=onepage.pdf input.pdf The problem is, while that page looks the same as the original in a PDF reader, it seems to be an image rather than an "object" representation. That is, open the extracted PDF in something like Acrobat or PDF XChange Viewer and "search" and "text selection" work, whereas in the extracted one neither function works. Presumably this is because the text has been r...

PDF Converter Pro
Anyone know how I can change the default font color and style for text boxes in PDF Converter Professional 3.0? Thanks. ...

PDF::API2
Hello All, I am new to PDF files so I don't really know if what I want to do is possible and how to use the PDF::API2 modules. I need to extract information from columns in a table ( I assume that PDF does not know anything about tables). What I was thinking of doing was finding the horizontal location of the header (I know what it should be), then extract all text that starts at that location. I have played around with the PDF::API2 module and read the 'Using PDF::API2 - The code' help page, however it doesn't show me how to extract information from an exi...

PDF::API2
Hello All, I am new to PDF files so I don't really know if what I want to do is possible and how to use the PDF::API2 modules. I need to extract information from columns in a table ( I assume that PDF does not know anything about tables). What I was thinking of doing was finding the horizontal location of the header (I know what it should be), then extract all text that starts at that location. I have played around with the PDF::API2 module and read the 'Using PDF::API2 - The code' help page, however it doesn't show me how to extract information from an existing file. ...

text + text
What is "text + text" supposed to do right now? It doesn't seem very useful to me. What about making "text + text" as an equivalent for "text || text"? Most strongly-typed programming languages do this. And MS SQL Server too, I think (CMIIW). -- dave ---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 1: subscribe and unsubscribe commands go to majordomo@postgresql.org Am Freitag, 8. Oktober 2004 12:57 schrieb David Garamond: > What is "text + text" supposed to do right now? Nothing. > What a...

pdf to text
I am looking for a way to convert PDF files into text content. I don't care about layout or formatting, just the plain text that I can use to search against in a database. I've look into the pdftotext tool from: http://www.foolabs.com/xpdf/download.html However, when I use it via the command line, it works fine. If I issue the same command via a system() call, there are major problems that cause the server to crash. (Don't know why, there aren't any error messages been generated anywhere.) I am looking to use this when a PDF file is uploaded via a form and store the te...

Web resources about - On pdftk - comp.text.pdf

Portable Document Format - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
PDF was originally a proprietary format controlled by Adobe. It was officially released as an open standard on July 1, 2008, and published by ...

Commands tagged points - commandlinefu.com
Great UNIX/Bash commands tagged with points - see these and many other invaluable command-line nuggets at commandlinefu.com

DockYard, Inc. · GitHub
Build software better, together.

Google Chrome Comix PDF
Google Chrome looks really interesting. Given that the web is the interesting platform, more web client innovation is welcome, especially in ...

99 of the Best Windows Freeware Programs You May Not Know Of
Because of the popularity of my previous article on Help Desk Geek entitled 99 ways to make your computer blazingly fast, I’ve decided to write ...

On Software
This is part of my series of articles on the topic of testing. Please note that this tutorial assumes that you have at least a rudimentary knowledge ...

Blog Archive
The Grand Locus / Life for statistical sciences • Blog Archive • 2014 • A flurry of copycats on PubMed PubMed, journals, information retrieval ...

RPM Search new rpms day 2015-02-04
PBone RPM search new rpms day 2015-02-04

The devel November 2010 Archive by subject
November 2010 Archives by subject Messages sorted by: [ thread ] [ author ] [ date ] More info on this list... Starting: Mon Nov 1 01:06:15 UTC ...