PDF driver doesn't support vignette effects - any workaround?

Hi

If I insert a transparent PNG file that has a vignette effect, into a
Word 2007 document, and create a PDF it using Adobe's print driver, the
resulting PDF doesn't display the vignette effect. In the PDF, instead
of the graphic gradually becoming more and more transparent towards its
edges and eventually totally transparent, as it should, it has a solid
border. I get the same problem whether I create the PDF using the
Acrobat Word macro for Word 2007, or using the Adobe print driver, or if
I go into Acrobat and select Create PDF from File.

Yet the PDF format does support vignettes. For instance, if I open the
PNG file in Photoshop and select Save As PDF, the resulting PDF does
display the graphic properly. But if I use the Adobe print driver, even
in Photoshop, then resulting PDF does not have the vignette effect.

Is there a workaround for this problem, e.g. by using a third party PDF
generator?

Dave
0
Dave

Dave Rado wrote:
> Is there a workaround for this problem, e.g. by using a third party PDF
> generator?

I've no idea and can't try due to not having shelled out for Word 2007.
But have you tried opening the doc in Open Office and exporting the PDF
from there?
0
Axel
3/3/2015 11:50:04 PM
On 03/03/2015 23:50, Axel Berger wrote:
> Dave Rado wrote:
>> Is there a workaround for this problem, e.g. by using a third party PDF
>> generator?
>
> I've no idea and can't try due to not having shelled out for Word 2007.
> But have you tried opening the doc in Open Office and exporting the PDF
> from there?

I can't even export the graphic successfully using the Adobe print
driver from Photoshop never mind from Open Office. This is a bug with
the Adobe PDF print driver, not with Word.
0
Dave
3/4/2015 1:49:40 AM
On Tue, 03 Mar 2015 22:34:28 +0000, Dave Rado wrote:

> ... [problem details suppressed] ...
> Is there a workaround for this problem, e.g. by using a third party PDF
> generator?

Have you tried, say, the BullZIP PDF printer, or any of its equally
/bezplatno/ competitors? HTH. Cheers, -- tlvp
tlvp
3/4/2015 4:25:42 AM
On 04/03/2015 01:49, Dave Rado wrote:
> On 03/03/2015 23:50, Axel Berger wrote:
>> Dave Rado wrote:
>>> Is there a workaround for this problem, e.g. by using a third party PDF
>>> generator?
>>
>> I've no idea and can't try due to not having shelled out for Word 2007.
>> But have you tried opening the doc in Open Office and exporting the PDF
>> from there?
>>
> I can't even export the graphic successfully using the Adobe print
> driver from Photoshop never mind from Open Office. This is a bug with
> the Adobe PDF print driver, not with Word.

I've just realised that Open Office has its own PDF creator. But I
downloaded it and found that it doesn't read complex Word 2007 documents
anything like accurately. I displays the text but not the correct
layout, and some of the graphics are missing.

Dave
0
Dave
3/4/2015 4:21:52 PM
On 04/03/2015 04:25, tlvp wrote:
> On Tue, 03 Mar 2015 22:34:28 +0000, Dave Rado wrote:
>
>> ... [problem details suppressed] ...
>> Is there a workaround for this problem, e.g. by using a third party PDF
>> generator?
>
> Have you tried, say, the BullZIP PDF printer, or any of its equally
> /bezplatno/ competitors? HTH. Cheers, -- tlvp

I've tried Bullzip now. No better than the Adobe driver.

I'm surprised no one else has had this problem - it's not Word-specific.
No document (regardless of the application that created the document)
that contains a PNG file which has a vignette effect retains the
vignette effect when converted to a PDF, using either the Adobe or the
Bullzip print driver.

This must surely be a known problem, and someone must have surely found
a workaround?

Dave
0
Dave
3/4/2015 4:33:35 PM
On 03/03/2015 22:34, Dave Rado wrote:
> Hi
>
> If I insert a transparent PNG file that has a vignette effect, into a
> Word 2007 document, and create a PDF it using Adobe's print driver, the
> resulting PDF doesn't display the vignette effect. In the PDF, instead
> of the graphic gradually becoming more and more transparent towards its
> edges and eventually totally transparent, as it should, it has a solid
> border. I get the same problem whether I create the PDF using the
> Acrobat Word macro for Word 2007, or using the Adobe print driver, or if
> I go into Acrobat and select Create PDF from File.
>
> Yet the PDF format does support vignettes. For instance, if I open the
> PNG file in Photoshop and select Save As PDF, the resulting PDF does
> display the graphic properly. But if I use the Adobe print driver, even
> in Photoshop, then resulting PDF does not have the vignette effect.
>
> Is there a workaround for this problem, e.g. by using a third party PDF
> generator?
>
> Dave

I've just found a workaround. In Photoshop, give the PNG image a white
background instead of a transparent one. The PDF print driver can cope
with that.

Not ideal but it'll do.

Dave
0
Dave
3/4/2015 4:54:38 PM
Dave Rado wrote:
> doesn't read complex Word 2007 documents
> anything like accurately.

I won't start a slanging match about whose fault this is, but can easily
make a very simple test case. Create a new odf document in OpenOffice
and import your graphic into that. Then see if that is printed and
exported correctly.

Axel
0
Axel
3/5/2015 3:26:32 AM
On 05/03/2015 03:26, Axel Berger wrote:
> Dave Rado wrote:
>> doesn't read complex Word 2007 documents
>> anything like accurately.
>
> I won't start a slanging match about whose fault this is, but can easily
> make a very simple test case. Create a new odf document in OpenOffice
> and import your graphic into that. Then see if that is printed and
> exported correctly.
>
> Axel

Whether it does or not, it can't solve my problem. I uninstalled Open
Office when I discovered it can't display complex Word documents
correctly, so I can't test it, and as it can't solve my problem, it's
not worth my while installing it again just in order to do so.

Dave
0
Dave
3/5/2015 2:19:01 PM
In article <md5csa$pds$1@dont-email.me>, dave.rado@nospam.co.uk says...

> Yet the PDF format does support vignettes.

True, but actually not relevant. THe problem here is that when hyou
'print to PDF file' you are not directly creating a PDF file.

No matter what the application or final format support, you can only
print via the operating system, so you are limited by what the operating
system and printer driver support.

Now Windows does support transparency, but not gradient fills (which is
what I presume you mean by a 'vignette effect'. When you 'print to a PDF
file' what you actually are doing, in general (and specifically so when
using he Adobe printer) is printing to a PostScript file, which is then
converted to PDF, in the case of Adobe by using Distiller.

PostScript does *NOT* support transparency, except in limited ways. So
in order to produce whatever effect you are after it must be
'flattened' in some way, the transparency must be removed. THere are 2
obviousl solutions;

1) Drop the transparency

2) Convert the transparent area into an image.

> PNG file in Photoshop and select Save As PDF, the resulting PDF does
> display the graphic properly. But if I use the Adobe print driver, even
> in Photoshop, then resulting PDF does not have the vignette effect.

That's because Photoshop can save directly into PDF. As you noted PDF
does support transparency. Printing to PDF from Photoshop just gets you
back into going via PostScript again.

> Is there a workaround for this problem, e.g. by using a third party PDF
> generator?

No. In order to preserve the functionality you would have to export to
PDF directly from the application. If you go via the print pipeline you
are limited by the capabilities of that process.

			Ken

> Dave

0
ken
3/11/2015 1:01:01 AM
ken wrote:
> you would have to export to PDF directly from the application.

Which leads back to Opne Office.
0
Axel
3/11/2015 2:04:48 PM
On Wed, 11 Mar 2015 08:34:34 -0000, ken wrote:

> ... PostScript does *NOT* support transparency ...

I'd say that otherwise: PostScript does not support *translucency* (partial
transparency). Transparency is always 100% transparency wherever there's
not yet been "paint" applied to the "cellophane" -- a problem for folks
like me who need to produce Bookland EAN-13 bar codes from time to time,
because if those are to print over a bit of book jacket, the underlying
artwork of the book jacket must *not* show through the transparent areas
between the barcode's black bars -- i.o.w., the whole barcode graphic must
be filled with good opaque white before the black code bars are laid down.

Back while Judah Milgram (q.v.) had his Bookland.py public service site
churning happily away at tux.org, his human-readable postscript barcode
files were easy to prefill with such nice opaque white. Now that I can find
only the horribly obfuscated barcode files of other providers, e.g.,
<http://www.terryburton.co.uk/barcodewriter/generator/> or similar, I've
not yet found a way to prefill with white before the eps code gets to work
on the still clear canvas, so that my filling the initial clippath with
white only succeeds in whiting out the bar code bars themselves :-{ .

But certainly it's true: PostScript has no conception of /partial/
transparency :-) . And that's all that ken's catchy slogan, quoted at the
outset, can be intending to convey. Cheers, -- tlvp
tlvp
3/12/2015 1:01:01 AM
On Tue, 03 Mar 2015 22:34:28 +0000, Dave Rado wrote:

> Hi
>
> If I insert a transparent PNG file that has a vignette effect, into a
> Word 2007 document, and create a PDF it using Adobe's print driver, the
> resulting PDF doesn't display the vignette effect. In the PDF ...
>
>  --- [details snipped] ---
>
> Is there a workaround for this problem, e.g. by using a third party PDF
> generator?
>
> Dave

No guarantees, but it's just conceivable that the Foxonic image-to-PDF
conversion software might be able to do what you want, *if* it doesn't go
through an intermediate conversion to PostScript. I've never found it
advantageous over my more usual PDF-conversion tricks, but, fwiw, ... .

For details/info/purchase, see the Foxonic home page,
<http://www.caisdata.com/>, or E-mail them using as mailto:

      contact@caisdata.com
      sales@caisdata.com
      support@caisdata.com

HTH. Cheers, -- tlvp (my copy of Foxonic came from GiveawayOfTheDay.com)
tlvp
3/15/2015 6:46:31 PM
On Sun, 15 Mar 2015 14:46:31 -0400, tlvp foolishly wrote:

> For details/info/purchase, see the Foxonic home page,
> <http://www.caisdata.com/>, or ...

Turns out that page is now getting squatted upon. But Googling Foxonic
brings up a number of ways to download assorted versions (Lite, free, paid,
Pro) of Foxonics PDF software. Sorry for the hassle. My info was correct as
of the time I acquired my GiveawayOfTheDay edition of it. Cheers, -- tlvp
tlvp

PDF PDF PDF
For anyone struggling to figure out how to create a PDF in SWX it's pretty simple but you may have to have the Bluebeam version of swx FIRST go to Tools>Options and check "Save as PDF" Then you can save them right from the save as dialog. Maybe I'm the only dumbass that could't figure that out! ;0) But it was in help under "PDF" An easier way is to download a program from www.pdf995.com that "prints" you files to a PDF foramat. This program works with SW and any other program you use to print with. "3d" <jmiller at marvelindustri...

Weird problem with ODS PDF
Hi All, I've got a weird problem, which might be SAS 9.2 (windows) only. I output a PDF file (using ODS PDF), then I search in the PDF using find, in either acrobat reader or a 3rd party reader. But I don't find what I'm looking for. Specifically, if I search for "Q" (without speech marks) I find lower case d. If I search for "1" I find lower case a. And if I search for "Q1" I don't find anything (even though there are lots of Q1s in the PDF file). Has anyone else come across this? Is there a solution? It's difficult to search the suppo...

Re: Weird problem with ODS PDF
Problem Note 32003: Text searches return different results in PDF files created by ODS PDF http://support.sas.com/kb/32/003.html The Details section for the note clarifies that "different" means "not correct". ;-) Fortunately, a hot fix is available. Search strategy -- I searched in Samples and SAS Notes for the words ODS, PDF, and search. HTH! Mike Rhoads RhoadsM1@Westat.com -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Jeremy Miles Sent: Friday, February 19, 2010 1:02 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Weird p...

Quark to PDF: text doesn't appear
Hello, I'm trying to transform a Quark XPress file to a PDF document. I select the Adobe printer and in the printer menu, click on "save as PDF...". The PDF file is then created, but only the images are within. I read in preview responses that one have to save make a postscript file from the Quark file, and then to treat it with Adobe Distiller. But how can I make a postscript file? Or how can I embed the text in the Quark file? Is there anyone who can help me? Thank you, Aude PS: I don't use Quark very good till now. ...

Re: Weird problem with ODS PDF
Mike That is a good idea to add the search strategy keywords to your answer. And, if I have not noticed your (and, maybe, others') doing this, shame on me. Nat -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Mike Rhoads Sent: Friday, February 19, 2010 2:14 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: Weird problem with ODS PDF - searching within PDF doesn't work (SAS 9.2 only?) Problem Note 32003: Text searches return different results in PDF files created by ODS PDF http://support.sas.com/kb/32/003.html The Details section for the n...

printing GUIs to pdf/eps doesn't treat text objects correctly?
Hi all, I have a problem printing a figure generated by a GUI. Even if I choose a format that should treat text strings as text objects (pdf, eps)..., it does not work at all: the text elements in the figure do not scale correctly when I zoom in and out. I do not have this problem when I save normal figures (not from a GUI). Has someone a idea about how to do it? ...

sumatra-pdf viewer Inverse and Forward search doesn't support the paths with chinese characters.
Dear all, I've downloaded the latestest version of sumatra-pdf viewer from the following url: http://william.famille-blum.org/software/sumatra/index.html I can do the Inverse and Forward search according to the guidance by william in the above url. But the only issue is that it doesn't work with the tex files put in the directory with the chinese characters. Does someone else also meet this issue? Any any hints on this issue is highly appreciated. Regards, -- Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> Xinjiang Technical Institute of Physics and Chemistry Chinese Academy of Sci...

Publish to PDF Doesn't Function: What's wrong?
I can publish files to HTML, but when trying to publish to PDF, the following error messages result. What is the problem? How do I fix it? ~~~ EDU>> publish('hw6solutions','pdf') ??? Java exception occurred: java.io.FileNotFoundException: /Applications/MATLAB_R2011a_Student.app/toolbox/matlab/codetools/private/fop_config.xml (No such file or directory) at java.io.FileInputStream.open(Native Method) at java.io.FileInputStream.<init>(FileInputStream.java:120) at java.io.FileInputStream.<init>(FileInputStream.java:79) at sun.net.www.protoco...

Why Doesn't Intel use XP and a PC to create it's pdf documentation?
Whiny John, prattfall and a few others trumpet how wonderful XP is yet for some reason Intel, yes Intel seems to use Macs to do its document imaging to pdf format. How can that be johnnie? I suppose we could ask the same of stutts too, since he trumpets how god-like his Dell is which uses that Intel technology. What will the wintdiot apologists come up with this time to spin this into a Mac-negative commentary? Oh and johnny, if you're going to come down on the side of your "winderful XP", lets not make some blanketly praising statement that provides no cites or refere...

PDF TO PDF/A
Hello, is it possible to convert a PDF file to PDFA file ? i tried the -dPDFA option and i vefy my pdf file with PDF longlife. I have an error. Thanks for help. ...

pdf \ text (get rid of text in pdf)

PDF doesn't print as sent
I publish a weekly newspaper and have been working with the printer for six+ months. Never have had any serious problems. But this week something weird happened and I would appreciate any insight as to what may have caused it. One headline in an ad was supposed to read: Indulge Yourself at Hair Spectrun instead it read ndulge oursel at Hair pectrum Full Service Salon came out as ull er ice alon % signs were missing in another ad as were the M's, D and k in Meyer Dairy Milk. Apostrophes disappeared in captions and so did quote marks, and "Thank You" read Thank ou Other p...

Safari doesn't cache PDF
Hi, since the Schubert plugin doesn't work on Intel (without crippling Safari) I have to make do with the built-in PDF support. Which apparently doesn't even cache. Is there a hidden preference for that? -- Tobias Weber In article <towb-211D43.14072226022008@news.individual.de>, Tobias Weber <towb@gmx.net> wrote: > Hi, > since the Schubert plugin doesn't work on Intel (without crippling > Safari) I have to make do with the built-in PDF support. Which > apparently doesn't even cache. Is there a hidden preference for that? Life with no Schubert...

links in MS Word to PDF don't work with PDF Writer
I have read from several sources that PDF Writer is capable of taking a MS Word document containing hyperlinks and converts it into a PDF with links activated. I'm using MS Word 2000 and the PDF Writer that comes on the Adobe 5.05 Acrobat CD. When I create the document in word, I can verify that the link actually works by taking me to the desired web page. I generate the PDF file by printing to the PDFWriter printer and get a PDF file. When I view the PDF file is a web browser that has the Acrobat Reader plug-in installed, the links appear in blue underline but when I click the li...

Web resources about - PDF driver doesn't support vignette effects - any workaround? - comp.text.pdf